Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Plastics, Trash Talk & Darlene Antoinette

ESS
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, qtpye said:

I think of Louise the way I think of Ben. I like the actors and are glad the characters are still around. However, realistically both Ben and Louise could do a lot better. There is no reason for them to hook their boats to the sinking ship that is the Connor clan.

Dan can probably move into that place once he is evicted...if that is still happening.

Did Darlene think her mom enjoyed doing these types of jobs for fun? The chicken place with the twerp boss was particularly brutal.

Mark is a sweetheart and Harris was actually pretty independent the way she went out and got a job at that Wal-Mart type place. It is too bad it replaced its employees with robots. Also, the pandemic is probably keeping her from getting other types of jobs.

This is true. At first Roseanne was supposed to be more like girly Becky and Darlene was supposed to be more like tomboy Darlene.  I think the dynamic changed because at the beginning of the series because young Darlene was a bit of a breakout star. There had never been a girl on TV like Darlene before this show. She seemed so real and had not of the precocious polish that most kid actors automatically have. It is kind of hard to believe since now all teenagers seem to smart mouthed pains  but it was true when the show first aired. Some people thought young Darlene could deliver a line that sounded just like Roseanne. Then Becky had more moments with her rebellion phase and Darlene grew up to be a bit more deadpan and was not as fun as a teenager as she was when she was a very smart mouthed kid.

However, while Roseanne was working at Wellmans, the golden child would be Becky, at least for Roseanne. Also, Becky did enjoy doing some things with Roseanne but Darlene never could stand to be around her. Even when talking about books, Darlene preferred to hang out with some bookstore owner and her husband, rather than her mother. I do not think that Darlene had even begun to write while her mom worked at the factory but I could be wrong.

How true, but sadly the show is making Darelene just look hateful and like she didn't see what her mother and her father went through for the family. They can retro out Jerry all they want, but let's face it, all three of the "main kids" really got dealt bad hands in life, and unlike their parents. Who tried to make it work, they were victims to it and don't look in the mirror that they can try to better themselves and don't. 

Same goes with both Jackie and Dan, I mean Jackie is setting herself up for a big fall, trying to keep the Lunchbox open, when really she shouldn't have reopened it. Her main point is: "It's the last thing I had that made me happy." Jackie is depressed, she feels she has no one, she has to suck and drain everyone to have any amount of feeling she is "needed". I've seen people like this and eventually reality is going to hit them.

As for Harris, the writers have NO IDEA what to do with her. I mean, now an "emotional" affair with a married man online. I mean, Louise should have been: "What the hell is wrong with you?" "I get your parents screwed you up, your dad is never around, but seriously Harris what do you want?" "A life or just keep doing what makes you happy for 2 minutes and that's going to get you two places. Poor or dead." 

Mark, just shut up!

• Love 11
15 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

I'm not a big fan of Mark being the vehicle for all the "very special episode" dialogue. I feel like every time he talks, it's an overly earnest, stilted speech about whatever issue they're trying to highlight. 

What an interesting observation - and so true. It reminds me of the kid playing in "Young Sheldon". Kinda "AfterSchool Special-ish". 

What exactly is Harris doing now, except for her online romance? Wasn't she supposed to be working at the tattoo shop? (would that even be happening with COVID?) And depending upon where exactly they are supposed to be in reality now, there are a lot of jobs opening up (at least in my area). Maybe not "dream jobs" but I see them advertising through Facebook and Indeed. 

• Love 8

What's with Dan getting all mopey and insecure about Louise leaving him alone at night or going back to her apartment?  I agree that Louise and Ben should run off together far, far away from Lanford!

I also agree that Mark is annoying AF now playing Covid Hall Monitor and correcting all the adults.

This episode brought one or two laughs but it was the usual WTH is becoming of the Conners.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

The Darlene/work issue:  First off, the other woman worked there with Roseanne so she's in her mid to late 60s ish, but she's childish enough to put up a drawing being mean to a fellow employee?  

Weirder to me was that she did it to the child of someone she liked, who is now dead. Not that it is that terrible of a thing to do, but seemed kind of odd when I thought about it in that context.

Well, it was a sophisticated kind of insult.  It could have been much cruder.

17 hours ago, Bastet said:

I get that this is fall in Illinois, not Los Angeles where I live, so eating outdoors is probably not an option, but how about in the car? 

16 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

She had been eating in the car, but I think someone mentioned some reason that changed that in the scene where Darlene overheard them.

Darlene had been eating in her car. thus the bathroom dialogue about how the parking lot was being paved, so it was too far away for Darlene to eat there now.

17 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Also, why the hell is Ben doing Instacart instead of helping Dan out? I don't mind him doing it for supplemental income, but a guy of his size and stature should be ashamed of himself to watch Dan at his age doing all that physical labor and not at least offer to work with him part-time--especially since he seems to be living under Dan's roof too. 

At least he's working--and handing off intel to Jackie.

13 hours ago, qtpye said:

Did Darlene think her mom enjoyed doing these types of jobs for fun? The chicken place with the twerp boss was particularly brutal.

Darlene knew that her mother didn't have the education that would allow better options.  Therefore, those menial jobs weren't really beneath her.  They are beneath Darlene.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, qtpye said:

Darlene preferred to hang out with some bookstore owner and her husband, rather than her mother. I do not think that Darlene had even begun to write while her mom worked at the factory but I could be wrong.

Speaking of books, I was surprised to see an entire case of them in the living room after the scene where Harris stormed off because Louise kept the $20 she won from her.  I didn't expect to see evidence of so much actual reading in the household, unless they are all Mark's.

On 11/4/2020 at 10:54 PM, Melina22 said:

I'm not sure that Dan and Louise as a couple are working for me. I realize that John's real life weight loss has maybe made him look older and feebler than he actually is, but the disparity between the two of them is so great. It feels jarring at times. It's pulling me out of the show, which I otherwise enjoy. 

She's had a crush on him since high school, so his current appearance is of less importance to her than it would be with a guy she just met.

"I also agree that Mark is annoying AF now playing Covid Hall Monitor and correcting all the adults."

A lot of people seem to feel this way, but at least no one is still complaining that Darlene was ruining him by letting him wear girls' clothing, which turned out to be a phase, as it is with most young boys who do it.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Speaking of books, I was surprised to see an entire case of them in the living room after the scene where Harris stormed off because Louise kept the $20 she won from her.  I didn't expect to see evidence of so much actual reading in the household, unless they are all Mark's.

Darlene was a big reader, and I think we saw Harris reading when someone came into her room in some episode.  Maybe the Conner-Healy branch of the family brought books with them when they moved in.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

What exactly is Harris doing now, except for her online romance? Wasn't she supposed to be working at the tattoo shop? (would that even be happening with COVID?) And depending upon where exactly they are supposed to be in reality now, there are a lot of jobs opening up (at least in my area). Maybe not "dream jobs" but I see them advertising through Facebook and Indeed. 

I'm watching Seth Meyers videos on youtube (11/5 show, I think) and he mentioned this:

https://nypost.com/2020/11/02/walmart-fires-inventory-tracking-robots-will-use-humans-instead/

Maybe she'll be able to get her Walmartesque job back.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I also agree that Mark is annoying AF now playing Covid Hall Monitor and correcting all the adults.

I'm glad some other people said it because I thought it was just me.  Kids his age are at low risk for Covid anyway.  He could be worried about the adults around him, but that's not the impression I get.  There are always germaphobes, like Sheldon on Big Bang, but I don't see where this is adding any entertainment value. 

• Love 7
(edited)

Loved this episode! Love Louise and Harris were bonding although what Harris said to Louise at the poker game was harsh, but they made up I was happy for that. Love the Dan & Louise scene so cute!! I'm glad Louise explained to Dan why she still has her apartment and why she'd want or need to back to it sometimes (which she should have it) even though I love her with the family and her & Dan together. 

Edited by ESS
  • Love 6

I realize this whole episode is about Darlene learning to connect with other people, but those scenes with her and the women made me so damn uncomfortable. I realize in real life they probably couldn't enter the set without negative Covid tests, but in the world of the show, we see women (including older women) talking loudly at each other in close proximity without masks.  All I could think of was the spit flying in Darlene's face.

She could have just told them she was being extra-cautious due to Covid and they probably would have accepted it.

• Love 10

I hated Harris and the poker game. She's 18 and should know you can lose money gambling. She's also shrewd and manipulative enough to know people use tricks and bluffs in poker. She's acting like a little kid who throws a fit when mommy and daddy don't cheat to let her win.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I hated Harris and the poker game. She's 18 and should know you can lose money gambling. She's also shrewd and manipulative enough to know people use tricks and bluffs in poker. She's acting like a little kid who throws a fit when mommy and daddy don't cheat to let her win.

It was really stupid and out of character. Lazy writing.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

I realize this whole episode is about Darlene learning to connect with other people, but those scenes with her and the women made me so damn uncomfortable. I realize in real life they probably couldn't enter the set without negative Covid tests, but in the world of the show, we see women (including older women) talking loudly at each other in close proximity without masks.  All I could think of was the spit flying in Darlene's face.

She could have just told them she was being extra-cautious due to Covid and they probably would have accepted it.

It's especially annoying since they're not pretending covid doesn't exist in show. Where I work, the warehouse employees are expected to distance in the cafeteria (and they removed chairs and added break times so fewer people are in there at the same time) and wear masks at all times unless they're eating. Just sitting with your sibling who you live with wouldn't be an excuse to take it off at work.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 11/6/2020 at 2:01 PM, RocknRollZombie said:

I enjoyed the family but not the way they have been handle at all in the conners. I think I’m just still watching to see what else happens with  the train wreck that the conners are now  it’s bad but I’m curious to see what else the writers do to basically tear down their personalities. 

Like some have mentioned some characters don’t even have any like able traits left because of the writers have  just reduced them to comedic relief.(Jackie, and now Becky)

This show had so much promise starting out, but now it's sinking like a stone. Hate to think that Roseanne's going to have the last laugh.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

This show had so much promise starting out, but now it's sinking like a stone. Hate to think that Roseanne's going to have the last laugh.

I totally agree with you.  I can make it through an entire episode with barely cracking a smile or letting out a chuckle, never mind laugh out loud.  I'm semi-hate-watching now to see just how annoying the Conners can get, save for Louise.  I guess Bev has abandoned ship of this (semi)shit show?  David is gone, gone, gone.  The disrespect to the loyal fans on what is canon and what's been retconned is astounding.

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

I totally agree with you.  I can make it through an entire episode with barely cracking a smile or letting out a chuckle, never mind laugh out loud.  I'm semi-hate-watching now to see just how annoying the Conners can get, save for Louise.  I guess Bev has abandoned ship of this (semi)shit show?  David is gone, gone, gone.  The disrespect to the loyal fans on what is canon and what's been retconned is astounding.

The characters have also fallen into: "What is wrong with you?" the audience keeps asking. We know people can be stubborn, or out of touch with reality vs what is staring them in the face. However, you can still understand their POV of WHY they act like this. However, at this point, I mean Darlene basically fell into: "This shouldn't happen to me, I went the school and tried to better myself." While Jackie is: "Nope, nope, la la la, I'm going to do all stupid things outside of doing drugs to stay happy, even though I have nothing else in my life." Dan with: "How did I get into these kind of problems with my house and why aren't my old strategies not working anymore?" My favorite with Harris: "Duh... why am I do everything that is either going to get me dead or living in a car?"

• Love 3
1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

I guess Bev has abandoned ship of this (semi)shit show? 

Estelle Parsons is 93 years old; no matter what their COVID protocols are, she cannot come work on set.  It would be nice to have a video chat appearance worked into an episode, though. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
17 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Estelle Parsons is 93 years old; no matter what their COVID protocols are, she cannot come work on set.  It would be nice to have a video chat appearance worked into an episode, though. 

That would be nice with Gina too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
23 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

That would be nice with Gina too.

I agree, I mean if American House Wife can "act like COVID doesn't exist" yet still have certain actors who need to appear on video chat to be on the show. Why can't they do the same with Gina and Bev? I get that the actress who plays Gina is on another show, but really, even when Modern Family had to do episodes where they were video chatting or face timing. They filmed in less than a couple of hours. They just set up the filming to be the actor and then just talked to them on speaker phone so it was done in "real time". Sometimes it's like the shows just don't think of things that make sense and are you know, cost effective. 

• Love 5
On 11/5/2020 at 1:04 AM, Marley said:

Still don’t like Harris she is an unbearable bitch. It’s a poker game don’t play if you can’t handle losing some money. The less Harris the better the show.

It’s a hard lesson to learn.  The first time you play with adults by adult rules.  Most teens still kinda expect their parents will let them win.  The first time they don’t is extremely jarring.  And I think Harris kinda expected her new kinda step grandmother to let her win.

Darlene expected to make writing her profession so it took some time to realize that maybe doing other things and writing in her spare time wasn’t selling out.   And yes being told that by a stranger might be easier to take then her own family and also being able to afford buying  Mark a computer helps as well.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 6
On 11/5/2020 at 10:45 AM, joanne3482 said:

I'm not sure where you live, but in my experience, here in Texas (as well as AZ where I've visited during this time), we're not nearly as adherent as those on the coasts are. 

As a Texan I concur with this statement... and the nose thing..   even in the grocery store and places people have to be.   

• Love 5

I've moved several posts that had zilch to do with this episode to "The Conners Past and Present."  Would you eat your lunch in the bathroom at work? Well then!, you don't want to post stuff about Arnie in episode topics for The Conners. Thanks!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I worked a lot of temp light industrial jobs on summer breaks while in college.  As a temp and as a bit of an introvert, it was hard at lunchtime--uncomfortable, even, because female temps were considered "fresh meat" by the other employees.  Darlene, thankfully, doesn't have that problem, and there is safety in numbers with Becky there.  I used to eat in my car, until I realized that I lost my "safety in numbers" when I isolated myself like that.  Sometimes I'd drive to another parking lot or park to eat, but I was still alone going in and out of the building and the uncomfortableness of that began to outweigh the need to be alone.

Introverts need to "recharge" when we're forced by circumstances to be friendly and around groups of people.  But....though she was prickly as a teen, I never saw Darlene as a shy introvert back in the day.  She used to be a big jock, with basketball and baseball and wasn't it track or something?  She was sneaking out to be with friends, right?

I think adult Darlene is more of a reflection of Sara Gilbert than grown-up Darlene from Roseanne.

• Love 5

I’m surprised that Harris didn’t try to get a job at the factory with Darlene and Becky. Even if she wasn’t paying rent, she could have saved up some money to go to college part time. She seemed to have a decent work ethic when she was working at the big box store. 

• Love 3

This is a sitcom, right?  In sitcoms there's supposed to be humor, right?  Because I've probably laughed one time in each of the three episodes so far this season.  Yes, Roseanne/The Conners have always "kept it real."  But showing the family languish during the coronavirus is super depressing.  I look for my television to be a bit of escapism.  This just bums me out.  I'll watch another episode or two, but when I finish watching this show, I'm sadder than when I started.  That's not a way to get me to watch.

• Love 3
On 11/16/2020 at 11:38 PM, Stacey1014 said:

I’m surprised that Harris didn’t try to get a job at the factory with Darlene and Becky. Even if she wasn’t paying rent, she could have saved up some money to go to college part time. She seemed to have a decent work ethic when she was working at the big box store. 

Imagine the fun time if Harris became their boss.  

• LOL 3