Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E07: Finals 1

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Good on Jessie Labreck for finishing 4th, but I don't think her time will hold up.

Yeah. It was an awesome run, but her time was almost double the top 3 finisher’s. How many people are still left to run? They said that most ran tonight, but they were only listing the current Top 8, so it was hard to tell how many runs were skipped.

Speaking of, who did Jon Alexis piss off this season? They’ve skipped both of his qualifying runs, and he didn’t get any caption or mention while cheering on Jessie Labreck. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

They joined Jamie Rahn already in progress, which is almost as annoying as WWWA. Surprised he fell like that though.

I wanted to know why they didn't show him doing the falling shelves. That would have been the hardest obstacle to do with an injured thumb and added nicely to the drama of it.

• Love 1

Let dead dogs lie.  People with real problems may remember this edit of Flip and think unkindly of him. (What will they, ahem, dig up for him next year?)

I also felt sorry for the guy, a ninja, who they used in the family and friends videos on so many.  I could see them calling for a volunteer to sit in front of a camera, change shirts, and cheer, look sad, be all kinds of enthusiastic, on command. Probably took him two hours total for a lot of air time.  

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Jesus H. Christ, if I never hear about Flip Rodriguez' damn dead dog again it will be too soon.  

Ditto. The guy whose dad died, if I remember right it was from suicide, didn't get the sob story to the anywhere near the same degree as Flip's stupid dog.

• Love 4

Totally agree that they're really beating a dead dog with the Flip sob story. I mean, I guess I get it that you can become very attached to your pets and be sad when they die. But most people get pets with the expectation that the pet will die. We don't plan to outlive our pets. They are temporary companions, or temporary family members. To be so devastated by the loss of a pet that, a *year later*, it's still haunting you every day, is a bit nuts. I hope it's just a little quarantine fever that's bringing up old feelings for Flip, and that he has for the most part gotten over it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, enoughcats said:

I also felt sorry for the guy, a ninja, who they used in the family and friends videos on so many.  I could see them calling for a volunteer to sit in front of a camera, change shirts, and cheer, look sad, be all kinds of enthusiastic, on command. Probably took him two hours total for a lot of air time. 

That was Ethan Swanson, who was supposed to compete in the Semi-Final. Apparently he was in close contact with someone who tested positive for Covid-19 and he was in quarantine. So at least this at least gave him something to do.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Watching Flex, it occurred to me how majorly awesomely cool it would be if she (or Jesse) won this season. Nice way to recover from the creepus who took home the $ last season.

If runs were shown in the real order they were run, Chris DiGangi sure got his hair dried and styled quickly so he could cheer on Flex.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

If runs were shown in the real order they were run, Chris DiGangi sure got his hair dried and styled quickly so he could cheer on Flex.

It always amazes me that the most dramatic run is always the last one. Funny how that works out. 😉

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

Flex's run was incredible, and being 4th of 8 after most of the Ninjas have run means she has a good chance of challenging the Power Tower. 

Looking on Sasukepedia, 16 ninjas ran and 4 cleared. 

Next week there are 11 Ninjas to go, which will probably 'only' have 3 finishers if they have a similar finish rate as this week. 

HWSNBN'ed was probably in the second bracket, to be a 12/16 run, and leave time for 7 Power Tower runs. It'll be interesting to see if he completed or not. Regardless I expect at least 3 Power Tower runs to be WWWA'ed. 

Of the obstacles, I liked both of the new ones. As usual, still a tonne of upper body strength; but Dragon Back looked neat and seemed just hard/tricky enough. And for 80's kids like me, it did call to mind Double Dragon (at least for me. 🙂 )

Sadly we don't have the times it took people to get to Dragon back, otherwise we'd know if Flip or Jamie have a better chance of being the 8th. (I suspect Flip might be the one who inches in, assuming only 3 finish next week)

• Love 2

Flip's dog was adorable, but he's starting to become the "designated emo" ninja, which overshadows his really great athletics.  Just let the guy do his run already.  

Flex was amazing.  That really was the best part of the season for me.  I'm also happy that Najee Richardson did so well.  From what I remember about Jessie Graf, she isn't the fastest ninja ever, but if they're doing repeated runs, stamina will be key.  And, from what I remember of Flex, she has it.  I'm still remembering how amazing she was in the Team Ninja competition a few years ago, when she basically put her whole team on her back.

I hope they can have a more standard season next year.  I appreciate the diversion and their putting together an abbreviated season this year, but the "Finals" just feels like another, harder City Final course.  

• Love 4

Speaking of Flex, I miss seeing that young woman with CP that Flex used to care for and who would show up at the competition.  I know Flex left her and moved to the Midwest for Chris, but is the young woman ok?  I hope the split wasn't devastating or anything.  With everyone on Zoom watching, I thought I might see her... 

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

Speaking of Flex, I miss seeing that young woman with CP that Flex used to care for and who would show up at the competition.  I know Flex left her and moved to the Midwest for Chris, but is the young woman ok?  I hope the split wasn't devastating or anything.  With everyone on Zoom watching, I thought I might see her... 

I thought I saw her on Flex's sideline in season 11, smiling big!

• Love 1

Wow, shocked at some of the comments about Flip and his dog, obviously not a lot of animal lovers here. His dog died at a fairly young age and unexpectedly, it’s very traumatic (speaking from experience) to lose an animal in that manner. I cried along with him. Anyway, moving on....

I want to be Jesse Labreck when I grow up. She is incredible. I adore her and Chris and he’s so sweet cheering her on from the sideline. 

I was also thrilled for Najee! He had some incredible saves on that run but thankful that he got his enjoyment of the process back. 

This season certainly isn’t the same but I’m thankful we got something rather than nothing at all! On to the finals next week! 

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, srpturtle80 said:

Wow, shocked at some of the comments about Flip and his dog, obviously not a lot of animal lovers here. His dog died at a fairly young age and unexpectedly, it’s very traumatic (speaking from experience) to lose an animal in that manner. I cried along with him. Anyway, moving on..

A year ago we had a lot of sympathy, now it just feels like they're recycling sob stories instead of just letting Flip be a great ninja without produced adornment.

• Love 8

I don't think anyone took his spot; at least there was no mention of it on Sasukepedia I don't think. Remember that was before the Semifinals runs (the ones from last week), when they had all the ninjas from the first eps, so they had enough chaff they didn't need a replacement. (One of the female ninjas did have to bow out and was replaced, but there are a lot fewer female ninjas so their loss would be more noticable).

So far, with 16 this week and 11(12*) next week, it doesn't look like there are any bowing out. Semifinals had 12 + 2 women progressing each round, for 28 Ninjas. HWSNBN'ed was one of the 12 so Flex(?) was promoted to 12th place after the ghosting to match the final round, meaning there are 27 Ninjas. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Considering that this is a special season with a guaranteed winner, I'd have liked to see some money for the woman that goes the farthest.  (Assuming that a woman doesn't win, which you know they won't.) 

ETA: I am by no means an animal hater.  I have cried when various dogs and cats I have owned have died.  But if a year after one passed, that was the biggest thing that happened, wow, has nothing else happened in your life?  That's sadder than the dog dying in the first place. 

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

ETA: I am by no means an animal hater.  I have cried when various dogs and cats I have owned have died.  But if a year after one passed, that was the biggest thing that happened, wow, has nothing else happened in your life?  That's sadder than the dog dying in the first place. 

Especially in this dumpster fire of a year! Many people have lost their jobs or lost relatives to COVID. 

• Love 3

Flip’s dog was a Biewer Yorkshire terrier (the tri-color variant) and since I have one myself and also lost a Biewer puppy at 5 months old last year, I felt very sad watching his segment. It was a reminder kick in the stomach that bad stuff happens and do any of us truly need those reminders anymore? 

At the same time, when he fell into the water and the host gently asked “are you thinking of Maui?” I was simultaneously tearing up and thinking “this is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever seen. Not sure whether to laugh or cry”. It’s been that kind of year.

Is LaBreck now the most consistent, best female ninja competing on the show? I would say most definitely. She has really been coming into her own the last few years.

Edited by Conotocarious
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

Is LaBreck now the most consistent, best female ninja competing on the show? I would say most definitely. She has really been coming into her own the last few years.

I would say she and Jesse Graff are currently at the same level. Graff has been around longer, though, and has the same number of buzzers, so I'm sure LaBreck will surpass her in a few years, especially since Graff is a professional stuntwoman first and a ninja second.

• Love 1

As noted, this is a special running, so for this time only, I certainly wouldn't be against a prize for the women Ninjas. Take the top two *cough*Flex and Jesse*cough* and let them run the Power Tower against each other to see who takes the top for this run. 

• Love 8

Bummed for Jamie Rahn and the Cat Ninja (I'm momentarily forgetting his name). 😞 But go Flex! 

Oh wow, that montage of parents / family screaming in hysterics really reminded me of why I don't want the live audience back! 

1 hour ago, Conotocarious said:

At the same time, when he fell into the water and the host gently asked “are you thinking of Maui?” I was simultaneously tearing up and thinking “this is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever seen. Not sure whether to laugh or cry”.

Thank you, this summed up my feelings perfectly. They're milking it for sure, but it's not like they don't do that with other contestants as well. Personally I'd rather watch Flip mourn his dog than a cheesy AF video of Tyler Gillett and Cousin Bill any day of the week (no offence, Cousin Bill!). 

But I mean yeah, the whole thing - that they even feel the need to recycle a year-old backstory in the first place - just highlights the fact that being a great athlete doesn't cut it anymore in this show. Sadly. 

On 10/29/2020 at 5:17 PM, enoughcats said:

Let dead dogs lie.  People with real problems may remember this edit of Flip and think unkindly of him.

Well then those people are obviously douchebags, and IMO it's really quite mean to belittle somebody's issues like that. People are so different - something that seems like nothing to you is a huge deal for somebody else. I've been clinically depressed for 15 years; I cannot count the times somebody's used the "real problems" approach with me, and it always hurts. (Sorry, maybe I'm taking this too personally.)

Edited by Rosenrot
  • Love 3

I loved Flex's run. I stood up and cheered at my tv when she cleared the dragon obstacle. 

I did not mind the dog thing at all. But I watch this show for positive reasons only. Someone has to go out of my way to annoy me with this show. I do dislike it when they reshow the sob story in the same season. One background story per season is appropriate unless there is some truly out of the ordinary back story to keep in mind.

I will forever love the classy ninja 360 move. I just can't imagine doing it.

I hope next year we move back to the normal structure but I'm so glad we got something. This is my positive vibe show. Really need it this year.

I don't know why they don't show a clip of Graff's upside down/supergirl pose move from the all star special. That was just amazing. If we're going to repeat things, keep showing me that and the 360 spin. . .

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Rosenrot said:

But I mean yeah, the whole thing - that they even feel the need to recycle a year-old backstory in the first place - just highlights the fact that being a great athlete doesn't cut it anymore in this show. Sadly. 

Well then those people are obviously douchebags, and IMO it's really quite mean to belittle somebody's issues like that. People are so different - something that seems like nothing to you is a huge deal for somebody else. I've been clinically depressed for 15 years; I cannot count the times somebody's used the "real problems" approach with me, and it always hurts. (Sorry, maybe I'm taking this too personally.)

I'm also wondering if Flip's puppy was a service or comfort dog.  I know that Flip was previously abused so maybe his puppy was not just family to him but provided him some comfort. 

• Love 4

My opinion as a personal trainer who does some OCR and some ninja stuff: Jessie Graff is a better athlete, but Flex LaBreck is a better ninja. Graff has done a phenomenal job with the minimal amount of actual obstacle training she does. She is not only a natural, but she has an extremely intelligent approach to new obstacles. The way she figures them out is wholly admirable, and you don't really see anyone else on ANW approach obstacles the way she does. LaBreck, on the other hand, has a lot more on-obstacle training, so she doesn't approach obstacles the same way as Graff. She throws herself into it and relies on the muscle memory of having done this stuff (or stuff like it) before. I love watching them both compete but my personal affinity goes a bit more to Jessie Graff, because I relate to that "I'm not a 'ninja,' but I'm smart and I can figure this out" attitude rather than the bestial performance capability of Flex. It's like Graff is a Lamborghini and Flex is a Nascar. They both move well and fast, but one is specialized for racing and the other is badass enough to keep up.

• Useful 5
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Rosenrot said:

Oh wow, that montage of parents / family screaming in hysterics really reminded me of why I don't want the live audience back! 

Me neither!  From the beginning of this season I thought the blend of fellow athletes on the sidelines, family and friends on Zoom, a limited amount of audio cheering, and Matt and Akbar going crazy as always is perfect.  

• Love 2

I only saw the last hour when this aired Tuesday, so watched the rerun tonight so I could see what all the chatter was about with Flip and his dog. Flip has always been a favorite of mine so I was all up to see his run. But the backstory about Maui ... oh gosh, my eyes filled with tears and my heart broke. Perhaps it takes a certain kind of person to appreciate the bond between a human and an animal. But I totally got it. I mean, I TOTALLY got it. I have no problem with how that story was presented.

End of my story.

• Love 5

I like the four finishers, and out of those who were shows, they are generally the strongest (except maybe Jamie Rahn who could have joined them with a bit more luck).   But the field for next week's final is much stronger, I think they did on purpose so it would be ''oooh who gets bumped off the power tower list now, the drrrrama!"  I don't think we will see all four current finishers make it to the power tower.  

• Love 1
On 10/30/2020 at 12:46 PM, ClareWalks said:

My opinion as a personal trainer who does some OCR and some ninja stuff: Jessie Graff is a better athlete, but Flex LaBreck is a better ninja. Graff has done a phenomenal job with the minimal amount of actual obstacle training she does. She is not only a natural, but she has an extremely intelligent approach to new obstacles. The way she figures them out is wholly admirable, and you don't really see anyone else on ANW approach obstacles the way she does. LaBreck, on the other hand, has a lot more on-obstacle training, so she doesn't approach obstacles the same way as Graff. She throws herself into it and relies on the muscle memory of having done this stuff (or stuff like it) before. I love watching them both compete but my personal affinity goes a bit more to Jessie Graff, because I relate to that "I'm not a 'ninja,' but I'm smart and I can figure this out" attitude rather than the bestial performance capability of Flex. It's like Graff is a Lamborghini and Flex is a Nascar. They both move well and fast, but one is specialized for racing and the other is badass enough to keep up.

I like the car analogy for the Jessies! I love them both, they are both badass, but I too have an affinity for Jessie Graff, mostly because she is so excellent, and she isn’t even a full time Ninja. If Flex was still being a nurse or whatever and doing ninja on the side, I would feel the same about her, but she is now running a ninja gym. She should be good. Still, I jumped off my couch and cheered when she got past that dragon thing. Awesome!

I was shocked by a few falls tonight - Tyler Gillette, Jamie Rahn and Chris Digangi. I was also bummed by Michael Torres not making it, but the reality is 8 spots is not a lot. Only a few are going to get one. Fingers crossed next week for Jessie and my Weatherman and Adam Rayl!

• Love 1

Man, Flex...I watched with my kids (6 years old - a boy and a girl) and we were all cheering.  She was gassed on the second half of the dragon thingy.  I thought she was cooked.  So amazing!  I’d love if she made it through.  Looking forward to next week and have my fingers crossed that Gil goes out on the second obstacle.  🙂 

• Love 2

I watched on Friday. Didn't remember about Flip's dead dog until I read the comments here. I really should be taking notes.

Any concerns about COVID would be secondary compared to what happened with Matt and Akbar after Flex completed the course. So many squeegees, not enough bleach.

• LOL 2
6 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I watched on Friday. Didn't remember about Flip's dead dog until I read the comments here. I really should be taking notes.

DVR it and then start watching an hour in.  Then you can ffwd through all the sob stories, interviews, explanations of obstacles, slo-mo replays, etc.  Totally worth it!  I just knew about Flip's dog because I saw pictures zoom by!  

On 10/29/2020 at 12:25 AM, Quilt Fairy said:

Jesus H. Christ, if I never hear about Flip Rodriguez' damn dead dog again it will be too soon.  

So... I am one of those "dog moms" - I have two dogs, I adore them, I have no human kids and we have lost 4 of our furry kids over the years. It's tough, we love them, we are sad when we say goodbye and honestly, some of the goodbyes have been truly traumatic and I still get pangs when I think of them... (over 10 years later).

However - Flip lost his dog a YEAR AGO and they are making this big a deal about it? Like he lost an actual human child? That is 100% absurd. Either the show is absurd for making this a big deal, or Flip is absurd for being this broken up about it. Seriously, this isn't something the show should highlight, either way. 

ANW - stop trying to force shit like this to "make us feel something." The only thing I feel now is that Flip is an emotionally neurotic mess and probably shouldn't be on the show at all if he's this broken up about his dog that he lost a year ago. I know all the athletes have their "schticks" and a lot of times they are pretty silly, but this one takes the cake.  

Edited by Lunula
  • Love 6