Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

WarmSkull
Message added by Whimsy

Individual episode threads have been set-up, so this thread is going to now be used as an overall season discussion. Specific episode discussion should go on the appropriate threads, but overall season themes can be discussed here. 

• Start Topic

On 11/12/2020 at 3:33 PM, dubstepford wife said:

Really though, Charmaine was 90% sweet in the first season.  She was mostly nice to Mel and polite to Hope, despite Hope being really over the top nasty to her (for reasons we discover later).  She didn't do anything wrong until the last episode, where she not-so-subtly tells Mel to leave town and uses her baby as ammunition.  Yeah she's the third wheel but third wheels don't automatically have to be villains.  I hope the show redeems her a little bit and gives her the opportunity to move on and find her own happiness.

Thank you! I thought i had conjured up a normal Charmaine in the first season as this one progressed. They made her such a stock character this time around, it seems her only purpose is to keep Mel and Jack apart. 

On 11/29/2020 at 6:07 PM, dubstepford wife said:

Speaking of evil twins, wow @valen   is right. 

Does Mel have anyone in the world who likes her/is nice to her besides Jack and Joey?  I know, I know, we as the audience are supposed to see how perfect and angelic and level-headed she is in the face of an abusive, cruel world, but jeez show.  Cut the girl just a tiny bit of slack.

She and Doc had a really good thing going on most of the season until he freaked out about his health and sniped at Mel instead of admitting to being afraid. 

• Love 2

Curious about a few things:

Why doesn't Mel ever wear scrubs? Like even when she's at the office?

Why does Doc constantly defer to Mel on diagnosis? I've never seen a doctor do this. in fact, it's usually the other way around.

Why isn't Mel's character a doctor not a nurse? I'd believe some of these scenarios more.

Why is Preacher (Black man in America) willing to involve himself in a murder that he had NOTHING to do with?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

BOy am I on board with most of these comments.

During the last epi of season 1, my reaction was: "oh crap are they going there?!!!!"

I got thru epi 3 of season 2 and haven't been back.  Maybe I'll go to the last one, but this season would work better as a telenova.

What a way to ruin a light show that was easy to watch.  Yes, yes a few problems sure, but solvable, now just blather, blather blather.

On 11/29/2020 at 6:07 PM, dubstepford wife said:

Does Mel have anyone in the world who likes her/is nice to her besides Jack and Joey?  I know, I know, we as the audience are supposed to see how perfect and angelic and level-headed she is in the face of an abusive, cruel world, but jeez show.  Cut the girl just a tiny bit of slack.

She has a nice easy rapport with Preacher and Hope likes her more than she likes most people. Paige was friendly to her in the first episode (asking about her bag and suggesting the kale salad), so that was a potential friendship that wasn't explored. The people in town are either young (Ricky and Lizzie) or older. There's not a lot of people in their 30s and 40s. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Miss Slay said:

Curious about a few things:

Why doesn't Mel ever wear scrubs? Like even when she's at the office?

Why does Doc constantly defer to Mel on diagnosis? I've never seen a doctor do this. in fact, it's usually the other way around.

Why isn't Mel's character a doctor not a nurse? I'd believe some of these scenarios more.

Why is Preacher (Black man in America) willing to involve himself in a murder that he had NOTHING to do with?

With all due respect, I think you might be conflating being a floor or staff nurse/RN with being an advanced practice nurse like an NP, CNM, or CRNA. Mel is a CNM. Most NPs and CNMs wear business casual often with a lab coat in office and clinic and often for rounding in hospital and will wear scrubs for medical procedures or deliveries. 

Doc defers to Mel on diagnosis because he is a general practitioner/family practice doc and she is a specialized field in nurse-midwifery who up until recently worked at a high-ranked, high-volume, high-acuity hospital and likely has more obstetrical experience than him as well as more experience with unusual cases. While Doc, as a FP doc, does attend a few of the low-risk births in town from locals, he is unlikely to be intimately familiar with all the unusual complications and issues one would see at a big hospital and he is also unlikely to be up-to-date on new medical treatments and research specifically for OBGYN stuff. Mel has to keep up with that for her job and has probably seen far more women with issues like Hyperemesis Gravidarum and tried different treatments with them. Actually, even before I was an advanced-practice nurse myself, I worked closely with a doctor who consulted me often even though we were in the same specialized field AND he had worked in it for 20+ years. We would brainstorm treatment options/plans and this was because he respected me as his intellectual equal (as Doc seem to with Mel now) and he recognized I brought a different perspective both from being at the bedside and because I had extensive history as an ICU nurse prior to working in women's health with him and so was more familiar with some of the non-gynecological emergencies and how they would be treated in the ICU.

I actually think this show is one of the *most* realistic depictions I have seen of a doctor-nurse or doctor-NP relationship and how they work together as part of a multidisciplinary care team. I was shocked by how accurate it can be on that note. Nurses do not work for the doctor (their supervisors would continue to be nursing leadership) and particularly in a field like advanced practice nursing, you are fairly autonomous and independent while for certain fields and in certain states you may be supervised by a physician signing off. I cannot tell you how many times even as a baby nurse, physicians would ask what I thought we should do when they were stuck. We each bring different things to the table and Doc recognizes that and uses Mel's strengths and experience to fill in the areas where his knowledge may not be as deep.

As for Preacher, I don't know, maybe they want us to believe he is a saint. Maybe we're supposed to think he is deeply in love with Paige even though he never got to really act on it and would thus do anything to keep her safe.

• Useful 4
  • Love 6
On 12/14/2020 at 8:29 AM, Lady Libertine said:

With all due respect, I think you might be conflating being a floor or staff nurse/RN with being an advanced practice nurse like an NP, CNM, or CRNA. Mel is a CNM. Most NPs and CNMs wear business casual often with a lab coat in office and clinic and often for rounding in hospital and will wear scrubs for medical procedures or deliveries. 

Doc defers to Mel on diagnosis because he is a general practitioner/family practice doc and she is a specialized field in nurse-midwifery who up until recently worked at a high-ranked, high-volume, high-acuity hospital and likely has more obstetrical experience than him as well as more experience with unusual cases. While Doc, as a FP doc, does attend a few of the low-risk births in town from locals, he is unlikely to be intimately familiar with all the unusual complications and issues one would see at a big hospital and he is also unlikely to be up-to-date on new medical treatments and research specifically for OBGYN stuff. Mel has to keep up with that for her job and has probably seen far more women with issues like Hyperemesis Gravidarum and tried different treatments with them. Actually, even before I was an advanced-practice nurse myself, I worked closely with a doctor who consulted me often even though we were in the same specialized field AND he had worked in it for 20+ years. We would brainstorm treatment options/plans and this was because he respected me as his intellectual equal (as Doc seem to with Mel now) and he recognized I brought a different perspective both from being at the bedside and because I had extensive history as an ICU nurse prior to working in women's health with him and so was more familiar with some of the non-gynecological emergencies and how they would be treated in the ICU.

I actually think this show is one of the *most* realistic depictions I have seen of a doctor-nurse or doctor-NP relationship and how they work together as part of a multidisciplinary care team. I was shocked by how accurate it can be on that note. Nurses do not work for the doctor (their supervisors would continue to be nursing leadership) and particularly in a field like advanced practice nursing, you are fairly autonomous and independent while for certain fields and in certain states you may be supervised by a physician signing off. I cannot tell you how many times even as a baby nurse, physicians would ask what I thought we should do when they were stuck. We each bring different things to the table and Doc recognizes that and uses Mel's strengths and experience to fill in the areas where his knowledge may not be as deep.

Thanks for this! I thought they established that Mel was a nurse practitioner in the first season so when she kept referring to herself as a nurse in S2, it took me out a bit. You do all that schooling, you refer to yourself with your proper designation, one would think! 

On 11/29/2020 at 12:07 PM, dubstepford wife said:

Of course crazy abusive dead ex has an equally crazy twin brother!  And they're both crooked cops! 

What is the name of the actor who plays these characters. I know I have seen him in a Hallmark movie and he was a drill sergeant and he puts his lovely brunette leading lady through her paces on the obstacle course so she can see what it is like to be in training. I can't remember the name of the movie or the name of the lead actress. I don't see this actor's name in the credits in episode 10 of this season either. I checked IMDb and the twin brother's character is not listed. I think the actor's first name is Steve and his last name begins with a C????? Anyone know who he is? Thanks.

Edited by luvthepros
On 11/29/2020 at 4:26 PM, dubstepford wife said:

Lol, yeah and my favorite part of this is that the character was played by a different actor in Season One.  So they didn't have to do the twin thing, they could have just brought that actor back for the first two episodes, then made creepy Hallmark/Lifetime journeyman actor his (non-twin) brother.  But nope, apparently that's not soapy enough.  

The character was played by the same actor. In fact, both twins have the same exact disheveled hair and beard. The twins do look EXACTLY the same. Still want to know the name of the actor.

29 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Steve Bacic

I just now looked up a list of all Hallmark Movies to date on Wikipedia and came across his name. Thank you for responding. Wonder why his name is not listed in the ending credits on this show?

On 11/29/2020 at 10:14 PM, toomuchtv said:

At this point the only way jack and Mel have a “happy” (ish) ending is if charmaine dies in childbirth. (Ignoring the gunshot because you know he’ll make a miraculous recovery if there’s another season)

As others have suggested, I'm hoping Jack is not the father of the twins. That would be a better outcome for all involved with this triangle.

• Love 2
On 12/1/2020 at 7:19 AM, MrsSerega said:

Yes, it was Michael Shanks who played Wes in the first season (he usually doesn't play bad guys, I was prepared for the worst!) , then replaced by Steve Bacic. https://m.imdb.com/title/tt9077530/fullcredits/cast

I'm officially confused. The first time I recall seeing Paige's ex-husband for the very first time in the show was when he was tossing the ball with his son in Paige's back yard. That actor was Steve Bacic. Did I miss other scenes with this character before this scene?

On 12/8/2020 at 12:36 AM, chocolatine said:

It has to be ordered pre-made and frozen from somewhere, otherwise there's no way Connie could make it work. She did mention that something was in the oven to Lizzy once. I got the impression that Paige's is the only bakery in the town - she supplies baked goods to the bar and general store - so that's why it needed to keep running, not so much to send money to Paige.

Is Connie helping Paige out by running the bakery truck out of the goodness of her heart. OR>>>> is Connie connected to Paige somehow? Does Connie know Paige's ex-husband? Did I miss something......again???

On 12/8/2020 at 7:05 AM, parrotfeathers said:

The Lizzie subplot is probably the most unbelievable of all to me and doesn't fit into the series at all.  Perhaps while not being a harlot she is  brushing up on her baking skills.  The actress paying Lizzie doesn't have much to work with but is pretty lame in the acting department.

She's cute. That's all she's got.

Edited by luvthepros

I have a bone to pick with Charmaine and Jack. First of all, Jack brings the dog to Charmaine and Charmaine decides to keep the dog. But.......Charmaine is NOT at her own home. She brought a dog into someone else's home and did not even ask Hope if it was OK with her. Then, we see Hope bitching about the dog peeing on the dining room rug not once, but at least twice.

I would NOT put up with that crap and I am a dog lover. I had a dog in our home for 33 years (not the same dog but two different dogs). Charmaine is an inconsiderate ass and Hope is more of an ass for allowing her to keep the dog at her house. Jack is a dope too for bringing the dog to Charmaine.

Edited by luvthepros
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

I'm officially confused. The first time I recall seeing Paige's ex-husband for the very first time in the show was when he was tossing the ball with his son in Paige's back yard. That actor was Steve Bacic. Did I miss other scenes with this character before this scene?

Her husband has a brief scene in the final episode of Season 1 where he's eating pie and looking for Paige.  He's played by a different actor.  Steve Bacic replaces him (and plays his twin brother) in Season 2.  Hence why I was annoyed...why not just bring back OG actor for the two scenes he's in in Season 2 episode 1, kill him off, then bring in Steve Bacic at the end of Season 2 as his non-twin brother and from then on?  The evil twin thing wasn't even necessary (unless they couldn't get OG actor for scheduling reasons).

• Like 1
2 hours ago, luvthepros said:

I have a bone to pick with Charmaine and Jack. First of all, Jack brings the dog to Charmaine and Charmaine decides to keep the dog. But.......Charmaine is NOT at her own home. She brought a dog into someone else's home and did not even ask Hope if it was OK with her. Then, we see Hope bitching about the dog peeing on the dining room rug not once, but at least twice.

I would NOT put up with that crap and I am a dog lover. I had a dog in our home for 33 years (not the same dog but two different dogs). Charmaine is an inconsiderate ass and Hope is more of an ass for allowing her to keep the dog at her house. Jack is a dope too for bringing the dog to Charmaine.

I completely agree. I’ve had dogs all my life, and my last two (sadly, gone now) boys were popular with strangers who marveled over their good manners, and my friends loved them and always welcomed them into their homes. Still, in spite of my knowing they were welcome I never took them for visits without asking first, and even though they were completely housebroken and very good boys, they never went visiting without belly wraps (diapers) just in case.

It’s just so surprising that Jack would take a strange dog (training undetermined) and leave it in someone else’s home without asking. Also: Charmaine doesn’t deserve a dog. She’s too selfish. Come to think of it...is there anyone in town who’s cut out to take care of a dog?

• Love 1
18 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

Her husband has a brief scene in the final episode of Season 1 where he's eating pie and looking for Paige.  He's played by a different actor.  Steve Bacic replaces him (and plays his twin brother) in Season 2.  Hence why I was annoyed...why not just bring back OG actor for the two scenes he's in in Season 2 episode 1, kill him off, then bring in Steve Bacic at the end of Season 2 as his non-twin brother and from then on?  The evil twin thing wasn't even necessary (unless they couldn't get OG actor for scheduling reasons).

I just re-watched the last episode of season 1 and I do see it was a different actor in the role of Wes. Wes did not die until the second episode of season 2 and that was Steve Bacic who fell down the stairs.

Edited by luvthepros
On 12/16/2020 at 1:05 AM, Auntie Anxiety said:

Northern Exposure + Gilmore Girls + Hallmark Channel + every soap opera cliche = Virgin River.

The best things going for it are Tucker, the dog, and Jack’s lustrous hair.

I agree with this. Every trite predictable scenario that they could come with they threw in. Girl from the other side of the tracks gets pregnant by her irresponsible boyfriend who uses her for sex while he has a thing for the pretty nurse. But somehow the writers have made her the villain. Doc announces in the last 2 minutes of season 2 that he saw a doctor. My guess is that he has a terminal disease or alzheimers. Jack is shot. How much you want to be that the shooter is Charmaine. This way she goes to prison and Jack and Mel get the babies to raise as their own. Or she dies in child birth or Jack is not the father. Either way they tie up the Mell, Charmaine Jack triangle in a neat package. Not going to have that pesty hairdresser hanging around trying to break up the perfect couple. I had high hopes for this series but it is like Auntie Anxiety said it turned out to be a soap opera or a rip off of" Who shot J.R.?".

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 2/6/2021 at 7:27 AM, luvthepros said:

I just re-watched the last episode of season 1 and I do see it was a different actor in the role of Wes. Wes did not die until the second episode of season 2 and that was Steve Bacic who fell down the stairs.

Did he identify himself there as her husband?  I thought that guy was some kind of PI or a friend of the husband, or something.  I can't remember what the sheriff said as far as to whom the vehicle was registered to (when he took the pic).  

And the hair.  Mel and Jack have great hair.

I agree to a point.  I absolutely hate the aggressive middle-part with waves - - that every hallmark movie actress MUST have.  

Edited by VartanFan
  • Love 1
On 11/30/2020 at 10:33 AM, dubbel zout said:

Seriously. And her objection to Lizzie, a 19-year-old, getting birth control was absurd. I'm okay with her not wanting Lizzie to have premarital sex (outdated, but it fits with her generation), but shouldn't Connie want Lizzie to be protected? And how does she know it's about sex in the first place? Maybe Lizzie needs it to regulate her periods. Butt the fuck out, Connie. Your niece is an adult.

When did nearly every adult get put back in junior high school? The behavior of most of these people is ridiculous, and not in a fun or watchable way. Charmaine is gunning for the gold in the passive-aggressive Olympics, Jack is not setting boundaries with her, Lizzie is a walking cliché of teen "danger," etc., etc.

Mel's sister-in-law is another awful person. Why is everyone so hateful on this show?!

Connie would be from the Woodstock generation,  so no premarital sex would not at all fit in due to her generation,  she's just a pain in the ass.

On 12/16/2020 at 6:43 AM, parrotfeathers said:

I really tried my best to like that show.  But that mom character -- I just couldn't take her.

Lorelei or Emily?

(edited)

So glad to find this forum and know I'm not alone in my reaction to this show. A friend recommended it, and loves it, but I have to admit I'm midway into the 2nd season and hate-watching it. 🙃 The storylines are so trite and right out of every soap opera trope. Every potential issue is telegraphed way in advance, and I can't stand a lot of these characters. Why is everyone in this quaint town so damaged and obnoxious? 

From the first episode, I found myself saying "Lawyer" out loud a lot. As in, if you just called a lawyer your problems would be solved. From working out a custody arrangement when that evil woman got pregnant, to the criminal issues from the abused spouse to the pot farm, from the engagement ring, etc.  Talking to a lawyer would have solved these issues.  I now fast forward through many of the scenes and it doesn't really matter. 

This show is perilously close to being a complete idiot plot, What Roger Ebert used to call storylines that relied on everyone being an idiot to make them work.

Oh well. Thanks for all your fun and snarky comments. Now I just have to let my friend down...or maybe not...

Edited by MadeleineElster
fixed a wrong word
  • Like 4
  • Love 2