Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

WarmSkull
Message added by Whimsy

Individual episode threads have been set-up, so this thread is going to now be used as an overall season discussion. Specific episode discussion should go on the appropriate threads, but overall season themes can be discussed here. 

• Start Topic

Charmaine is such a fucking bitch. Jack did nothing but bend over backwards for her, and she's going to tell him he can't be in the babies' lives if they don't live together?? So many women would kill for a hands-on dad to share the load, and she's going to throw that away? He told her from the start that he didn't want to get back together. Fuck off.

• Love 12

I still love it. I liked Season 1 so much better though. I don't think they need to rely on old cliches when they have such interesting stories about grief and PTSD. I also think Mel needs a good girlfriend in town. She's missing that. They try to address it with her sister, but she really just needs a friend that is a woman near her own age. 

Edited by valen
  • Love 8
18 hours ago, Whimsy said:

Connie seemed like different people depending on who she was talking to. 

Seriously. And her objection to Lizzie, a 19-year-old, getting birth control was absurd. I'm okay with her not wanting Lizzie to have premarital sex (outdated, but it fits with her generation), but shouldn't Connie want Lizzie to be protected? And how does she know it's about sex in the first place? Maybe Lizzie needs it to regulate her periods. Butt the fuck out, Connie. Your niece is an adult.

When did nearly every adult get put back in junior high school? The behavior of most of these people is ridiculous, and not in a fun or watchable way. Charmaine is gunning for the gold in the passive-aggressive Olympics, Jack is not setting boundaries with her, Lizzie is a walking cliché of teen "danger," etc., etc.

Mel's sister-in-law is another awful person. Why is everyone so hateful on this show?!

• Like 1
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Mel's sister-in-law is another awful person. Why is everyone so hateful on this show?!

I HATED this subplot.  My least favorite part of the series so far.  It served no purpose (yeah, yeah, she learned to stand up for herself, she was doing that anyway for the most part.)  I still don't understand why the entire world seems to hate Mel other than it's to show to the audience how perfect she is.  

• Love 6
14 hours ago, toomuchtv said:

At this point the only way jack and Mel have a “happy” (ish) ending is if charmaine dies in childbirth. (Ignoring the gunshot because you know he’ll make a miraculous recovery if there’s another season)

Or if the twins are born (and twins? seriously?) and they're obviously not Jack's. Either the wrong blood type or a different race. 

Also, I don't understand why Jack isn't looking into his legal options. He should be consulting with a lawyer. And Charmaine's idea that she'll get married and that man will the twins father could get her in trouble with a judge. 

• Love 6

This season is so frustrating. So many people being aggressively annoying and making terrible decisions.

Hope is such a smug, passive-aggressive, spoiled childish brat. Did she never leave middle school?

And Charmaine...exactly the same. Maybe these two hate each other because they're so much alike and two petulant divas in town is too many.

The plots were just nonsense. A woman with HG/high risk pregnancy. CLEARLY the answer is to get her to live with someone who hates her, in a tiny village out in the boonies, with no hospital and only one doctor and one nurse who are always out and about not working. And spend two or three days fussing over finding her a place to live and getting her settled in while she's theoretically seriously dehydrated, and keep bringing her glasses of water she can't keep down. Excellent treatment. I'm no special nurse, but shouldn't she have had an IV long before that if she were actually suffering from HG and dehydrated? It almost sort of seems like she's faking a lot of the difficulties to get Jack's attention and time and make Mel run in circles around her. Because she's an adult woman who can make her own decisions and she doesn't need to do what any of these people say. She could go get treated in another town, maybe one with one of those cozy not-so-hospital-like pregnancy and birth facilities.

Lizzie as well...she's an adult; she doesn't have to live with her overbearing aunt just because her parents "sent" her there! Lizzie, you can go where you want! Go live in the big exciting city, find some job that pays the bills and a place to live, and go clubbing and have sex as much as you want! Or, maybe go to school? As long as you do the absolute minimum to keep up with some classes in the area of your choosing, your rich negligent parents will probably pay for you to stay there! And colleges have other young people and parties! Sheesh.

Jack has been absolutely terrible to Preacher. Leaves him to run the whole understaffed place all the time and won't even take a minute for a conversation with him? It will serve him right if Preacher leaves.

Was the friend who showed up and gave Christopher to Preacher implying that Paige was dead? Or severely injured? I liked Paige and hated that she left. I think it was a mistake and she would have been much better off reporting the accidental death. She'd clearly been beat up, and I don't think a California jury is going to care how well connected her husband and his thug family were in some Florida PD. If anything, they'd be more on her side after hearing he was an abusive officer.

The "logging" company guys are stupid. Of course you're going to get investigated and raided when you're acting all shady and thuggish like that. They should have pretended better to be a legitimate operation. Put up a fence with a sign saying like "DANGER! Hard hats and safety gear required! All visitors check in at office!" Been nice and friendly to people in town. Then no one would have been interested in what they're doing.

Jack will probably be in a coma and wake up just in time for Charmaine to give birth to babies that may or may not be his, and to see that Mel is very visibly pregnant.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

So was the fight Doc and Mel had during the poisoning incident because he didn't want to admit he had some health problem that made it too hard for him to do "her" part of the assembly line patient processing? It seems like something is going on with his health. Or was that just him being a stubborn overbearing crab as usual? He seems to think everyone in this town is devoted to him as their sole health care provider, but if I lived there, I would go somewhere else for anything that wasn't urgent but not life threatening. No way I want this rude know-it-all up in my business.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
56 minutes ago, Enginerd said:

I'm no special nurse, but shouldn't she have had an IV long before that if she were actually suffering from HG and dehydrated?

Of course, but she's terrified of needles. (Of course.) Charmaine reminds me to the woman in the bed next to me when I was in the hospital. She wouldn't let them draw blood. She wouldn't let them remove bandages that needed to be removed. Yet she complained every day of wanting to be discharged. You have to meet them halfway! Charmaine isn't doing that at all. It drives me nuts that she's so coddled. Suck it up, buttercup. Do you want to have healthy babies or not?

• Love 10
16 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Of course, but she's terrified of needles. (Of course.) Charmaine reminds me to the woman in the bed next to me when I was in the hospital. She wouldn't let them draw blood. She wouldn't let them remove bandages that needed to be removed. Yet she complained every day of wanting to be discharged. You have to meet them halfway! Charmaine isn't doing that at all. It drives me nuts that she's so coddled. Suck it up, buttercup. Do you want to have healthy babies or not?

Naturally, she has to be as difficult as possible. Fear of needles is very real, but she is an adult and needs to figure out how to deal to save her and her babies' lives. In real life, she'd get a few minutes of help relaxing and being distracted while they got that needle in. She wouldn't get two days of a doctor and nurse (not to mention the father of the babies) being her personal servants and treating her like a diva they have to humor.

• Love 8
On 11/29/2020 at 11:07 AM, dubstepford wife said:

I do kinda hope that the cliffhanger ends in a way that we aren't expecting.  Having one of Calvin's goons be the shooter is pretty obvious.  It'd be cool if they actually made it Charmaine, driven into a jealous rage.  Though the fact that the shot was in the stomach kind of makes me think of that scene in Austin Powers where Dr. Evil's son mocks how people in movies always are really bad at killing people, because the plot actually wants them to survive.  Any actual killer would've just shot him in the head and been done with it.

Maybe Lizzie texted Ricky to race home from the bar for some fun and he said he had to talk to Jack and she said to just shoot him, so he did!

• LOL 9
2 hours ago, Enginerd said:

Lizzie as well...she's an adult; she doesn't have to live with her overbearing aunt just because her parents "sent" her there! Lizzie, you can go where you want! Go live in the big exciting city, find some job that pays the bills and a place to live, and go clubbing and have sex as much as you want! Or, maybe go to school? As long as you do the absolute minimum to keep up with some classes in the area of your choosing, your rich negligent parents will probably pay for you to stay there! And colleges have other young people and parties! Sheesh.

I think the plot about Ricky and Lizzie made much more sense in the books -- as apparently with everything else in Virgin River.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

Maybe Lizzie texted Ricky to race home from the bar for some fun and he said he had to talk to Jack and she said to just shoot him, so he did!

Probably. He's such a puppet. Poor kid doesn't seem to realize she's just using him. Or maybe the sex is enough to not care. He'll get eaten alive if he ever makes it to the Marines.

• Love 2

This was a super rough season. I am not a fan of what they did to all the characters at all. 
Preacher’s storyline was interesting, but I was really looking forward to him and Paige. Her leaving was a real bummer. And she didn’t tell Preacher “oh hey, my abusing husband as an identical corrupt brother??” What the hell Paige??

I didn’t actually mind Jack’s plotlines of the PTSD and his responsibilities boiling over. He literally was drowning in front of all his friends and no one really noticed or told him enough was enough. Mel started to, but woof Charmaine was just the wrecking ball that did not stop.

What happened to Mel’s sister? Did she even call once this season? And the sister-in-law was just as terrible. Could they not come up with something for Mel to do? Like I don’t know, make more friends in town? Notice that Paige was MIA? 

I’m curious if Brady’s going to get himself out of this hole he’s in. The actor plays conflicted really well.

I was really looking forward to this, but what a train-wreck. Also thought we were going to get a Covid storyline at the end of the season with everyone sick and no idea why. This town would be in a lot of trouble if that happened. I don’t want Covid in all my TV shows, but for a minute, I thought they were going to go there.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

What happened to Mel’s sister? Did she even call once this season?

They talked once, to gossip about the exercise instructor and so Mel could swoon about how great sex with Jack was. They also reminisced about boating with Captain Dead Husband.

• Love 3
On 11/29/2020 at 10:37 AM, valen said:

It also doesn't seem to make sense that the characters keep interacting with known or suspected killers. It's dumb and too dark for the series. This series works best as romantic comedy with some light drama. The scenes with Mel and Jack that focus on their relationship, her grief, and his PTSD work the best. The drug stuff is just too dark and is jarring compared to the scenery and the rest of the storylines.

On 11/29/2020 at 12:07 PM, dubstepford wife said:

Okay I'm back, courtesy of a lot of fast-forwarding.  I'm not sure if I watched a single Ricky/Lizzie scene.  

Speaking of evil twins, wow @valen is right...Charmaine was all over the place.  One minute thanking Mel, the next yelling at her for "stealing" Jack, lather rinse repeat, all season long.  I figure the writers, when inevitably called out for that, are going to blame pregnancy hormones, which I guess isn't entirely wrong, but still.  That seems like a very convenient excuse for bad writing.

I'm going to watch Season 3, but not because I think this show is good (which I legit thought it was after Season 1).  It's become a trashy soapy guilty pleasure.  

I just finished this season and had the same reaction.  What started out as a light drama/romantic comedy turned into a dark and depressing slog about evil drug dealers.  It's got to be one or the other and if they're going to try to high-wire both types of storylines, they need better writers.  I simply don't give two craps about Charmaine's birth plan or whether Lizzie baked the pies or if Muriel is moving in on Doc if this is really a show about Jack crying, alone, over a fallen soldier or drug dealers driving their new recruit out into the forest to murder a snitch and bury his body.  It would be like Schindler's List having a side story about one of the concentration camp guards trying to get a clown for his daughter's birthday party.  

Plus it didn't seem like anyone changed.  As others have mentioned these characters kept doing the same stupid stuff over and over again.

By amazing coincidence a lot of people here have mentioned how they fast forwarded through the dumb parts.  So I wish Ricky and Lizzie all the best with whatever it is they've decided to do because I, also, didn't bother watching that part and finding out.

• Love 6

What had me rolling my eyes the hardest was when Charmaine was still at Hope's house, she has a house call appointment at a specific time with BOTH a doctor AND a nurse practitioner but she's in the shower at the time of her appointment and then when she finally gets out, tells them to wait 20 minutes until she does her hair!

I'm not done watching yet; I'm only through seven episodes, but wow, this season is disappointing compared to the first.

• Love 12
11 hours ago, Enginerd said:

So was the fight Doc and Mel had during the poisoning incident because he didn't want to admit he had some health problem that made it too hard for him to do "her" part of the assembly line patient processing? It seems like something is going on with his health. Or was that just him being a stubborn overbearing crab as usual? He seems to think everyone in this town is devoted to him as their sole health care provider, but if I lived there, I would go somewhere else for anything that wasn't urgent but not life threatening. No way I want this rude know-it-all up in my business.

Doc was having trouble seeing the receipt at the restaurant and then was having Mel do all the paperwork so I assume something with his eyes. 

On 11/28/2020 at 1:02 AM, WarmSkull said:

Also, wasn’t there a different man (both actor and name) last season asking Preacher about Paige? He even made a comment to Preacher that the pie reminded him of her recipe. 

Yes, it was Michael Shanks who played Wes in the first season (he usually doesn't play bad guys, I was prepared for the worst!) , then replaced by Steve Bacic. https://m.imdb.com/title/tt9077530/fullcredits/cast

22 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

I HATED this subplot.  My least favorite part of the series so far.  It served no purpose (yeah, yeah, she learned to stand up for herself, she was doing that anyway for the most part.)  I still don't understand why the entire world seems to hate Mel other than it's to show to the audience how perfect she is.  

This is why I think she needs a female friend her own age in Virgin River. Her sister calls from time to time, but she needs a friend on a daily basis.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, MrsSerega said:

Yes, it was Michael Shanks who played Wes in the first season (he usually doesn't play bad guys, I was prepared for the worst!) , then replaced by Steve Bacic. https://m.imdb.com/title/tt9077530/fullcredits/cast

I knew the husband wasn't the same actor. I thought I was crazy. Thanks.

I enjoy it as a soap opera type show. Easy to binge through. But they need to lighten up with the angst for Mel. Now Jack was shot. On top of a dead baby& husband. 

Hope is still the worst. I dont know why anyone puts up with her.

Charmaine was awful too. No need to make her so pathetic.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, truther said:

By amazing coincidence a lot of people here have mentioned how they fast forwarded through the dumb parts.  So I wish Ricky and Lizzie all the best with whatever it is they've decided to do because I, also, didn't bother watching that part and finding out.

You didn't miss anything. Nothing happened. It's exactly what you already know: she's acting out, he's easily snookered into doing her bidding, he's proclaiming he's a good guy who really cares about her and apparently not realizing she only settled for him because older, hotter, badder men (Brady) wouldn't go for her.

I suspect this entire season was adapted from the books by middle school writers who aren't aware that MOST adults don't behave like dramatic, impulsive middle school kids. Even for a soapy drama, there's been a HUGE amount of childish behavior and lack of consideration of consequences. Either that or next season we find out that the logger drug dealers have been poisoning the water supply and that's why everyone is so stupid.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, ProudMary said:

What had me rolling my eyes the hardest was when Charmaine was still at Hope's house, she has a house call appointment at a specific time with BOTH a doctor AND a nurse practitioner but she's in the shower at the time of her appointment and then when she finally gets out, tells them to wait 20 minutes until she does her hair!

These people ALL need to stop enabling her. Jack should get a lawyer to talk about custody. Hope should have just refused to let her live in her house. Doc and Mel should have fired her as a patient and told her to go to some other medical practice. Maybe she'd be a little more civilized if she had to be in order to get anyone to put up with her.

• Love 4

So many characters were annoying this season. Ricky going downhill over Lizzie. Hope running around pretending not to be in a relationship and push a grown doctor man to fake a girlfriend?  Charmaine running around telling the town who Jack slept with, then the lies she told about Jack to Mel, she behaved like a teenager. Then saying at the end she's find someone and that person will be the father? No, doesn't work like that, Jack needs to lawyer up.

A twin brother who is also a bad cop? Convienent. Is Paige not returning? Preacher is the only sane one in this show. 

At least they didn't make Brady a killer.

• Love 7

They took a page out of the Dr. Drake Ramoray playbook and Wes' brain was put into his twin brother's body.

Doc has a tumor pressing on his optic nerve and only super nurse practitioner Mel can save him but not before she saves Jack.

Mother In Law comes to town with Sister in Law to demand the ring or perhaps a lawsuit including trial with Judge Judyesque presiding.

Preacher stays in Virgin River as Jack is convalescing.  Jack sells him half of the bar - new name Jackd Preacher. 

Paige comes back and serves pie to everyone.  Secret ingredient is evil Wes twin.

The father of the twins is Doc which is the real reason Hope hates Charmaine.

Lizzie leaves town with Brady with the possibility of return.  

There.  Season 3 storylines are done.  Now start filming so I can binge another season and stare at Jack.

• LOL 10
  • Love 5

So not shocked that Jack was plugged by one of Calvin's men. He's been warning for only every time you're up there. Good lord. And given that Martin Henderson is the male lead, unless he wants out of his contract I feel pretty safe predicting Jack will survive. If the show really wanted to make the shooting suspenseful, Ricky should have been the victim. At least that wouldn't have an absolutely predictable outcome.

I'd really like to hear Connie explain to her minister/priest/spiritual advisor how premarital sex between adults is somehow much worse than her abetting the coverup of a dead body. Her personal experience with domestic violence isn't really a mitigating factor here, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't care anymore about Charmaine and her stupid babies. Go to Portland and never return. Jack is probably too honorable (!) to get lawyers involved, so he gets what he deserves there.

Hope doesn't really seem to be dialing back her terrible behaviors, so I'm at something of a loss as to why Doc wants to stay married. They'll be back in their old, irritating routine in no time.

• Love 7

I'm only on episode 5, but I need to get this out of my system. Am I supposed to root for Doc and Hope? Because she is an idiot and I can't do that. Muriel is killing me. I love book Muriel. I don't like Hope forcing Doc into using Muriel. I can't root for Doc and Muriel because she belongs with the General, who isn't even a factor. I'm so confused!

And this Lizzie is awful and terrible to Ricky. 

Charmaine go away. Don't care where. Just away.

I heard mention of the riverside cabins. Maybe there's hope for a story that isn't a triangle.

• Love 8

Im just watching Ep. 2 now, but I just wanted to chime in to say how awful I think Hope is. What she (and by extension, Doc) are doing to Muriel is just so messed up. If Hope doesn't want anyone knowing about her and Doc, despite the fact that they're consenting adults and married(!), well, whatever. It's stupid, but okay. Letting Muriel pursue Doc, in fact, encouraging it, all to keep a stupid secret; why would she set Muriel up to be humiliated like that? 

Yes, Muriel's an outrageous flirt, but she was woman enough to "ask Hope's permission" to go after Doc upon hearing that a divorce was in the works. She's not doing anything wrong- she's a single grown woman pursuing who she believes to be an available grown man. And Doc should know better- going along with this just to keep Hope happy is not a good idea.  I'm not-so-secretly hoping that he finds that he really does like Muriel enough to want to see where things go. It would serve Hope right...

I know, its wishful thinking on my part. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Bali said:

Am I supposed to root for Doc and Hope? Because she is an idiot and I can't do that.

As far as I'm concerned, Hope is the villain. She's a messy bench who loves drama, and not in a good way. I don't think she loves Doc or Jack nearly as much as she loves sneaking and shenanigans. Once they're settled as an ordinary married couple again, she'll probably be bored and start stirring up new marital drama. And I do know that Doc cheated on her, but that just means they're both terrible.

• Love 9
On 11/28/2020 at 4:22 PM, Aunt Catfish said:

Yep.  I'm with you.  Only watched the first two episodes of season two this morning.  I might only watch one a week after this.  It is nice to spread things out since there is no telling when the next season will drop.  I'm still anxiously awaiting the next season of Sweet Magnolias!

I thought Sweet Magnolias would be more like Heart of Dixie, a show that I enjoyed FAR more than I thought I would. But alas, SM was lacking for me in many ways - characters, storylines, pacing.  The only thing I liked was the scenery, but that's not enough for me to come back for Season 2 (if there is one).

On 11/29/2020 at 9:07 AM, dubstepford wife said:

I'm going to watch Season 3, but not because I think this show is good (which I legit thought it was after Season 1).  It's become a trashy soapy guilty pleasure.  

More power to you. I'm out - and for many of the reasons alot of others have already posted about:  people acting OOC, or acting like middle school kids, or stupid plots, and the show turning into unwatchable soap opera.

On 11/30/2020 at 10:00 PM, Enginerd said:

They talked once, to gossip about the exercise instructor and so Mel could swoon about how great sex with Jack was. They also reminisced about boating with Captain Dead Husband.

Captain Dead Husband aka Elijah from Vampire Diaries/The Originals was my favorite part of this series. Too bad he's dead because I would have wanted him and Mel to be Endgame.

• Love 2
On 11/28/2020 at 3:24 PM, Kiddvideo said:

Time passes very slowly in Virgin River. 

Yes, I came here to see what other people thought or if it was just me!  That was so slow and nothing happened!!

If every season only covers 1-2 weeks and they are only set one month apart, then these actors are going to age out of their characters VERY fast.  (And that's pretty hard to do as a 46 year man, right!?)  Charmaine won't give birth until 2028, and by then I guarantee that I will have totally lost interest.  

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

So not shocked that Jack was plugged by one of Calvin's men.

I wonder if they'd make it less predictable than that. Like twist, it's crazy jealous Charmaine. 

I wish Doc would have chosen Muriel, she is better than Hope. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 4

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I think a show should have only 1-2 antagonists and mostly characters the viewers like or are neutral about. And I don't like murder plots in my pretty scenery + emotional recovery + bland romance shows.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Artsda said:

I wonder if they'd make it less predictable than that. Like twist, it's crazy jealous Charmaine. 

I'll admit, that thought crossed my mind! 😄

The fact that the writing has been sub-par this season did make me pay a lot more attention the to stunningly beautiful scenery. Also, was the soundtrack THIS good in Season One? The music selections have been excellent this season.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, ProudMary said:

The fact that the writing has been sub-par this season did make me pay a lot more attention the to stunningly beautiful scenery.

It's so beautiful. It's making me wish even more that I could go to BC again. Maybe next year.

• Love 5

I wouldn't normally watch this kind of show (or read the kind of book on which the show is based), but TV pickings are slim during the pandemic. I liked the main actors well enough on This Is Us and Grey's Anatomy, respectively, and I never get tired of the gorgeous PNW scenery, but this show is so terribly trite and poorly written. Every single character and plot line is a cliche. Among all the "dramatic" storylines going on, all I could think about is who bakes the pies and other goodies while Paige is gone. The bakery truck always looks fully stocked, but there's no way Connie is doing all that baking, in addition to running the general store and being the town gossip. Baking on that scale requires skill *and* stamina, and it doesn't seem like she has much of either.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Among all the "dramatic" storylines going on, all I could think about is who bakes the pies and other goodies while Paige is gone. The bakery truck always looks fully stocked, but there's no way Connie is doing all that baking, in addition to running the general store and being the town gossip. Baking on that scale requires skill *and* stamina, and it doesn't seem like she has much of either.

I kept thinking the same thing. Running a bakery is not something you just pick up on the side to help someone out. Even if Connie had experience working in a bakery and knew the processes, it's still a ton of work. You basically have to be up most of the night to have all those different breads and pastries ready in the morning. Or I guess you could bake the night before and they'd be a tad less fresh, but it's still hours of work every day.

Unless the secret of the bakery truck is that everything is bought wholesale and maybe frozen and they just thaw it and stick it in the oven. Even so, you need a good idea of the local demands to know how much to make. What are they doing with the finances if Paige isn't there? Is it even legal for this truck to be run if no one with a food handling license is around supervising? How much does this bakery truck in this tiny town even earn, that it's worth it to pay people to help out in order to presumably continue sending Paige some money? How much do they charge Hope when she marches up, bangs on the closed truck, and bellows "COFFEE!" so rudely?

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Enginerd said:

Unless the secret of the bakery truck is that everything is bought wholesale and maybe frozen and they just thaw it and stick it in the oven. Even so, you need a good idea of the local demands to know how much to make. What are they doing with the finances if Paige isn't there? Is it even legal for this truck to be run if no one with a food handling license is around supervising? How much does this bakery truck in this tiny town even earn, that it's worth it to pay people to help out in order to presumably continue sending Paige some money? How much do they charge Hope when she marches up, bangs on the closed truck, and bellows "COFFEE!" so rudely?

It has to be ordered pre-made and frozen from somewhere, otherwise there's no way Connie could make it work. She did mention that something was in the oven to Lizzy once. I got the impression that Paige's is the only bakery in the town - she supplies baked goods to the bar and general store - so that's why it needed to keep running, not so much to send money to Paige.

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Among all the "dramatic" storylines going on, all I could think about is who bakes the pies and other goodies while Paige is gone. The bakery truck always looks fully stocked, but there's no way Connie is doing all that baking, in addition to running the general store and being the town gossip. Baking on that scale requires skill *and* stamina, and it doesn't seem like she has much of either.

7 hours ago, chocolatine said:

but this show is so terribly trite and poorly written. Every single character and plot line is a cliche. Among all the "dramatic" storylines going on, all I could think about is who bakes the pies and other goodies while Paige is gone. The bakery truck always looks fully stocked, but there's no way Connie is doing all that baking, in addition to running the general store and being the town gossip. Baking on that scale requires skill *and* stamina, and it doesn't seem like she has much of either.

The Lizzie subplot is probably the most unbelievable of all to me and doesn't fit into the series at all.  Perhaps while not being a harlot she is  brushing up on her baking skills.  The actress paying Lizzie doesn't have much to work with but is pretty lame in the acting department.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, chocolatine said:

It has to be ordered pre-made and frozen from somewhere, otherwise there's no way Connie could make it work. She did mention that something was in the oven to Lizzy once. I got the impression that Paige's is the only bakery in the town - she supplies baked goods to the bar and general store - so that's why it needed to keep running, not so much to send money to Paige.

That makes more sense, that they just need some sort of baking to supply the other businesses. But in that case, why operate the truck while Paige is gone? Why not just sell all of it out of the store or Jack's? Not cute enough for this town? Surely Preacher could get in some wholesale baked goods and stick them in the oven in the bar kitchen, while also somehow turning out 5 star-worthy meals solo AND tending bar AND waiting tables and doing cleanup since they're so poorly staffed and Jack can't be arsed.

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, Enginerd said:

. . . why operate the truck while Paige is gone? 

I think the premise was that Paige was only going to be gone temporarily because of a "family emergency."  But - I agree - in a small town, it would make more sense to just shut the place down (until the "emergency") is over and get the baked goods from somewhere else rather than having Connie run the bakery truck AND the general store while trying to keep track of her niece.