Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

WarmSkull
Message added by Whimsy

Individual episode threads have been set-up, so this thread is going to now be used as an overall season discussion. Specific episode discussion should go on the appropriate threads, but overall season themes can be discussed here. 

• Start Topic

Virgin River Season 2 drops November 27th on Netflix.

Source: the show’s Instagram

It might be a tad early to start a new season discussion but I’m so excited for new episodes.

According to Spoiler TV the episode titles are:

Spoiler

Episode 2.01 - New Beginnings 
Episode 2.02 - Taken by Surprise 
Episode 2.03 - The Morning After 
Episode 2.04 - Rumer Has It 
Episode 2.05 - Can't Let Go 
Episode 2.06 - Out of the Past 
Episode 2.07 - Breaking Point 
Episode 2.08 - Blindspots 
Episode 2.09 - Hazards Ahead 
Episode 2.10 - Blown Away

Source: https://www.spoilertv.com/2020/10/virgin-river-season-2-episode-titles.html?m=1

Trailer is up on YouTube

I didn't even recognize Charmaine, she looks completely different without her bangs and heavy makeup.  

It does look like this season might be a little more lighthearted than the last one, though I know the preview mentioned a "murder" so I'm betting we haven't heard the last of the pot growers and Brady.  

Jack couldn't care less about Charmaine's baby.  Which is kind of sad; I get that he doesn't love her but still, he could be a little more enthusiastic about his kid!

I'm excited for Hope and Doc, even though she drives me up a wall.  It's going to be nice to see an older couple get romantic.  

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, dubstepford wife said:

I didn't even recognize Charmaine, she looks completely different without her bangs and heavy makeup.  

Wow! She looks like a different person!

The “Team Mel” reminds me of Gilmore Girls when people (and streets!) were either Team Lorelei or Team Luke. I wonder if Virgin River will have ribbons. 😆 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

Jack couldn't care less about Charmaine's baby.  Which is kind of sad; I get that he doesn't love her but still, he could be a little more enthusiastic about his kid!

It is not that Jack is not excited about the baby; the trailer focused more on his relationship with Mel, and then Charmaine and her pregnancy come in.
We cannot assume 1 season of 10 episodes with only 1 trailer, I want to believe it and I believe that Jack is scared, but happy with the baby, but in a city, where the mentality of certain people almost forces him to make a commitment to Charmaine just because of the pregnancy it is embarrassing and there is still Charmaine herself who will certainly put pressure on him, so when he is trying to remedy his relationship with Mel comes the certainty that he himself says: "I am not in love with her".
He wants to have his baby, but that this event is not a problem in his relationship with Mel.

• Love 4

He shouldn't choose her just because she is going to have his baby. That isn't doing anyone any favors, and  Charmaine deserves someone who wants to be with her. Honestly, Mel got on my nerves in that trailer. I LOVED this show in Season 1. I am going to be annoyed if it's 10 episodes of her dragging this out. 

On 11/10/2020 at 12:50 PM, valen said:

He shouldn't choose her just because she is going to have his baby.

It seems that the show is going the book route where Jack considers himself “honorable” (the book’s description). Therefore, he broke up with Charmaine before going any further with Mel because he is ‘honorable.’ I believe in Season 1 he told Charmaine that he would support the baby (because he is honorable). And told Mel that the baby wouldn’t change anything between Mel and him (so no Charmaine attention).

So, with Mel leaving and obviously coming back in Season 2, I don’t know if he is necessarily choosing Charmaine. I think he is ‘being honorable’ to his baby and attending appointments, etc. But, he still is into Mel. Though I do need to see what comes after the “I need something more than just ‘hi, Jack’ “ in the trailer. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, WarmSkull said:

It seems that the show is going the book route where Jack considers himself “honorable” (the book’s description). Therefore, he broke up with Charmaine before going any further with Mel because he is ‘honorable.’ I believe in Season 1 he told Charmaine that he would support the baby (because he is honorable). And told Mel that the baby wouldn’t change anything between Mel and him (so no Charmaine attention).

So, with Mel leaving and obviously coming back in Season 2, I don’t know if he is necessarily choosing Charmaine. I think he is ‘being honorable’ to his baby and attending appointments, etc. But, he still is into Mel. Though I do need to see what comes after the “I need something more than just ‘hi, Jack’ “ in the trailer. 

Oh, I don't think he chooses Charmaine. I think that Mel drags it out saying she doesn't want to come between them, while he is basically begging her to be with him. I hope that's wrong. I also noticed that Charmaine looks to be on bed rest in the preview, and I don't like that road either. I'm sure it will be better than I am worrying about though.

• Useful 2
On 11/10/2020 at 12:50 PM, valen said:

He shouldn't choose her just because she is going to have his baby. That isn't doing anyone any favors, and  Charmaine deserves someone who wants to be with her. Honestly, Mel got on my nerves in that trailer. I LOVED this show in Season 1. I am going to be annoyed if it's 10 episodes of her dragging this out. 

We do see a scene in the trailer where Charmaine is crying and she and Jack look wistfully out at the river.  I'm guessing that's the scene where she finally accepts the situation and they agree to be co-parents but not a couple.  I am with you though, I really really hope this moment doesn't come in episode 9 or 10.  I can deal with will-they-or-won't-they for a few episodes but when it drags on and on it gets really annoying.

Really though, Charmaine was 90% sweet in the first season.  She was mostly nice to Mel and polite to Hope, despite Hope being really over the top nasty to her (for reasons we discover later).  She didn't do anything wrong until the last episode, where she not-so-subtly tells Mel to leave town and uses her baby as ammunition.  Yeah she's the third wheel but third wheels don't automatically have to be villains.  I hope the show redeems her a little bit and gives her the opportunity to move on and find her own happiness.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, dubstepford wife said:

We do see a scene in the trailer where Charmaine is crying and she and Jack look wistfully out at the river.  I'm guessing that's the scene where she finally accepts the situation and they agree to be co-parents but not a couple.  I am with you though, I really really hope this moment doesn't come in episode 9 or 10.  I can deal with will-they-or-won't-they for a few episodes but when it drags on and on it gets really annoying.

Really though, Charmaine was 90% sweet in the first season.  She was mostly nice to Mel and polite to Hope, despite Hope being really over the top nasty to her (for reasons we discover later).  She didn't do anything wrong until the last episode, where she not-so-subtly tells Mel to leave town and uses her baby as ammunition.  Yeah she's the third wheel but third wheels don't automatically have to be villains.  I hope the show redeems her a little bit and gives her the opportunity to move on and find her own happiness.

I've watched that trailer more than I should have, for sure. I'm worried about what the combination of the bed rest and the crying scene could possibly mean. I really think making Charmaine pregnant with Jack's baby really knocked the storyline off course and was a big mistake. Unless it's not his baby, the storyline is a mess. If Charmaine loses the baby, that's incredibly sad since she clearly wants the baby so much. If she has the baby, and leaves with it, that's sad too. From what I've read, this is not the way Jack and Mel's story goes in the books, and it's an obvious way to drag out the will they/won't they past one season. I think it was a miscalculation.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, valen said:

From what I've read, this is not the way Jack and Mel's story goes in the books, and it's an obvious way to drag out the will they/won't they past one season.

It was shameless use of a very tired trope.  They could have done better.

• Love 2

Looking forward to season 2. Like others I hope they don’t drag this ‘will they won’t they’ storyline right through the whole season. It’s been done to death. I feel a bit sorry for Charmaine at this point. She’s a strong independent woman, she doesn’t need to be pining after a man who has no interest in her. Of course all that could change as the season plays out. 

2 hours ago, UK Lady said:

She’s a strong independent woman, she doesn’t need to be pining after a man who has no interest in her.

He strung her along for how many years and now she's a hairdresser who is knocked up.  She'll need to take time off to have the baby and then pay for child care.  Did she not get a glimmer after so much time that he wasn't into her.  Did he not have a glimmer of guilt that he was just using him for easy sex? He's a jerk it's sad that it took this crisis to open her eyes.  

• Love 5
On 11/16/2020 at 5:15 PM, Kohola3 said:

He strung her along for how many years and now she's a hairdresser who is knocked up.  She'll need to take time off to have the baby and then pay for child care.  Did she not get a glimmer after so much time that he wasn't into her.  Did he not have a glimmer of guilt that he was just using him for easy sex? He's a jerk it's sad that it took this crisis to open her eyes.  

Charmaine is not such a victim, Jack was wrong not to have ended their relationship any longer and to have settled in having someone without commitment, especially after meeting Mel and falling in love with her, but Charmaine also fell silent and consented to it when she truly fell in love with him and didn't stop and talk with him about their situation, she also settled down and hoped that one day his feelings would change too, but that day never came and with the arrival of Mel the situation only got worse. If this baby she expects is not from Jack, I will find a dirty move to have him at any cost, until a DNA test is done. If the baby is Jack's, as an independent woman that I think she is and if she had a little pride of her own, she would tell him that if he didn't love her, she wouldn't to tie him to a forced relationship, that she would continue with pregnancy, who would only expect support from him that would be expected from a correct man and that he participate in the child's life. But what we saw was the opposite, she must have involved Hope on purpose, since she would expect such behavior from her and the city would interfere in the situation, forcing him to commit himself in some way to her and we saw that she practically threatened Mel in the end, making her want to leave the city. The only victim here is Mel, who was in the middle of it all, with a more broken heart

Oh my gosh.  This season is absolute drivel.  This show is Virgin River in name only.  The story lines are horrendous.  I hated the Lizzy/Ricky story line in the book and the show story line makes me want to hurl.  As for Charmaine; good grief.  She's a manipulative bitch with a capital MB.  There is so much character assassination going on that it's almost unwatchable.  I really don't know if I can wade through another season.

• Love 11
51 minutes ago, ali59 said:

Oh my gosh.  This season is absolute drivel.  [...] There is so much character assassination going on that it's almost unwatchable.  I really don't know if I can wade through another season.

I’m glad it’s not just me! I don’t know what is different this season but the ‘magic/charm’ from the first season isn’t there this season. Maybe there were too many storylines? Were some of the storylines too heavy? I might do a rewatch but I don’t have the yearning to do for this season. I rewatched the first season so many times. But this season doesn’t have it for me. I’m to the point that I don’t care what happens with Jack going into season 3. I’m also not figuratively dying for season 3 as I was for season 2 after watching the first season.

I’m glad that they returned Mel to Virgin River within the first 5 minutes. But Paige’s storyline explanation for her empty house was lame. And then an episode later she’s battered? They couldn’t consolidate Preacher finding her empty house at the end of season 1 and Paige’s returning husband, Wes? Connie still could have pointed Wes towards Paige’s house. Also, wasn’t there a different man (both actor and name) last season asking Preacher about Paige? He even made a comment to Preacher that the pie reminded him of her recipe. 

I fear that most of the cute Jack and Mel moments were shown in the trailer. So when those moments did appear in the episodes the rest of the storylines brought the scenes down. 

The only character that seemed to learn a little was Hope (at least not to get involved in Jack’s life). But she still had her incredibly stubborn moments that were grating. I don’t know how Doc puts up with her. 

I was really looking forward to the guys ‘reunion’ and that was boring. The book made it seem much more exciting. And the way everyone told Jack to “go, have fun” in the episode I thought it would be more interesting. I can see why their last reunion was 3 years prior.

Way too much time spent on Lizzie. 

I really hope they introduce Mike’s book storyline next season. 

Maybe I’m dense but what message did Wes’ twin send Paige? 

Edited by WarmSkull
Clarified. Also IDK why there are two different fonts.
  • Love 3

I wish this thread was broken up by episodes since I’m trying to stretch it slowly. I need to get through December. While I could binge watch it all in one night but I’m trying pace it out a bit. Anyhoo, I’ve watched the first 2 episodes and I’m totally in. Jack is cool as usual with the scruff and Mel is cute as a button. I’m still not all in with Hope but I’ve been watching Annette O’Toole since I was a kid (I’m 56) and, she’s always a solid actress but Hope really is grating. 

• Love 1

The groundwater may be getting poisoned by the pot growers, but IMO the biggest health hazard in Virgin River is stupidity!

Jack: The minute Charmaine introduced herself as his girlfriend he should have realized she was getting way more serious than he was and broken it off with her. And when Mel tried to explain it to him he should have listened, FFS.
Mel: Just because she wanted a child so badly, she assumed that the best thing for Jack would be to have a family with Charmaine. Never mind that he plainly did not love Charmaine and would have ended up divorcing her someday.
Charmaine: Telling Mel that she should leave town so she’d have a chance with Jack was beyond stupid. In Mel’s shoes I’d have told her “Look. It doesn’t matter whether I stay or go. It‘s been two years. If he hasn’t fallen in love with you by now, it’s never going to happen.”
Hope: Telling Doc to date other people is dumb enough, but freaking MURIEL, of all people? WTF was she thinking?!
Brady: Arrogant, entitled moron.
I swear, Preacher is the only person in Virgin River with half a brain.

And then there are the plot cliches.
Charmaine’s pregnancy bombshell the minute Jack and Mel get together: Soap Opera 101 and done to death. The only surprise is that she wasn’t faking it to trick Jack into getting back together.
Paige’s backstory turned out to be exactly what I figured it would be, and the abusive husband being killed by falling down the stairs during an argument was predictable, too. (And was already done in one of the book sequels to Home Fires.) I just wished she’d pushed the SOB on purpose.
Hope pushing for the divorce and then balking at the last minute was all too predictable as well.

And BTW, the scene where a bunch of ladies were knitting? Only one of them apparently actually knew how. Connie with the double-pointed needles plainly had no clue what to do with them.

Edited by CarpeFelis
typo
  • Love 3

I watched the first two episodes of season 2, couldn't take any more and skipped to the last. Not only did I not feel I missed anything, but I figured out what happened with every plot point without skipping a beat. And I don't want to spoil anything so won't get specific, but something in the final episode just had me rolling my eyes. This show already entered soap territory last season with its ridiculous cliches and plot lines, but it at least had some charm. (Or maybe that was just my stay-at-home pandemic brain thinking.) But the second season is just ridiculous in its tropes and over-the-top melodrama. I think I'm out if there's a season 3.

Edited by laugard
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I wish this thread was broken up by episodes since I’m trying to stretch it slowly. I need to get through December. While I could binge watch it all in one night but I’m trying pace it out a bit. Anyhoo, I’ve watched the first 2 episodes and I’m totally in. Jack is cool as usual with the scruff and Mel is cute as a button. I’m still not all in with Hope but I’ve been watching Annette O’Toole since I was a kid (I’m 56) and, she’s always a solid actress but Hope really is grating. 

Yep.  I'm with you.  Only watched the first two episodes of season two this morning.  I might only watch one a week after this.  It is nice to spread things out since there is no telling when the next season will drop.  I'm still anxiously awaiting the next season of Sweet Magnolias!

• Love 1
23 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

I swear, Preacher is the only person in Virgin River with half a brain.

It’s sad that he’s likely going to get dragged away from his San Francisco job now that  Christopher has been re-introduced. 

Preacher’s SF storyline pushed me over into the “I hate Jack” territory. Preacher tries to talk with Jack about his future with the bar. But, Jack has his head so far up his selfish ass with his personal vendetta with Brady and Calvin, ignoring any conversation with Charmaine, trying to get Mel,  and rushing off to make rash decisions that he gives Preacher barely any time.
And how hasn’t Jack considered giving Preacher some type of stock, ownership etc into the bar?  Jack knows that Preacher’s food is a big draw so Jack never considered a long term plan? 

• Love 5

I wish Lizzie had been named Lucy. Then at least I could get a good laugh out of them being Ricky and Lucy. And she has plenty of ‘splainin’ to do. Seems like her main aim in life is to amuse herself by getting him into trouble.

Completely agree that Hope can be grating, but WOW, she’s got nothing on Muriel for annoying! To his credit, even Doc looked annoyed with her when he and Hope stupidly invited her to sit with them at the fancy restaurant. It’s bad enough that she never freakin’ shuts up, but does EVERYTHING have to be bragging or putdowns with her? And if she’s such a famous and busy actress as she claims, why is she always hanging around Virgin River?

• Love 2

100% agree with the frustration about this season. I got through it pretty quickly because I fast-forwarded anything having to do with that stupid Lizzie/Ricky plot. Also fast-forwarded every scene with Charmaine because every scene with Charmaine is exactly like the one before it. She has one line over and over and it goes something like “I’m a deliberately obtuse, whiny, manipulative psycho who refuses to accept that I got dumped.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, sharifa70 said:

100% agree with the frustration about this season. I got through it pretty quickly because I fast-forwarded anything having to do with that stupid Lizzie/Ricky plot. Also fast-forwarded every scene with Charmaine because every scene with Charmaine is exactly like the one before it. She has one line over and over and it goes something like “I’m a deliberately obtuse, whiny, manipulative psycho who refuses to accept that I got dumped.

She has a second line over and over: “What’s SHE doing here?”

• LOL 13
  • Love 3

Did Charmaine give birth? I fastforwarded thru all of her scenes. As I did with that pot gang. And anything to do with Jack. Preacher was the most tolerable character on the show. Hope, Charmaine, thet teen gitl, Mark's sister....So many annoying female characters! 

5 hours ago, memememe76 said:

Did Charmaine give birth? I fastforwarded thru all of her scenes. As I did with that pot gang. And anything to do with Jack. Preacher was the most tolerable character on the show. Hope, Charmaine, thet teen gitl, Mark's sister....So many annoying female characters! 

I think she’s about 3 days pregnant. Which is a slight exaggeration, but the timeline did not advance very far.

• LOL 11
  • Love 1

I'm only a third of the way through, but...oh show, what has Netflix done to you?  

I will say I laughed when I saw the scene with Paige and her abusive ex.  That's not the correct reaction I know, but, that actor shows up a lot in Hallmark/Lifetime series and he's always the exact same character, the psychotic murderous spurned lover.  I know people have accused this show of ripping off those networks and up until now I've defended it, but...is the casting pool in Vancouver really that small?  

Charmaine actually seemed nice last season.  And Jack seemed intelligent.  Hel-lo, character assassination.  Oh well, you were nice while you lasted, show.  And your soundtrack is still good, so there's that.

On 11/27/2020 at 9:46 PM, CarpeFelis said:

And BTW, the scene where a bunch of ladies were knitting? Only one of them apparently actually knew how. Connie with the double-pointed needles plainly had no clue what to do with them.

I'm a knitter and this happens all the time.  Shows/movies also frequently confuse knitting and crochet, which is just freaking lazy.  It takes two seconds to Google the difference between them.  But yeah, I was like, Connie, what are you doing?

• Love 4

I started the first episode, but from what everyone is saying here, I don't think I want to continue. It sounds like the show is assassinating everyone's character. All of them were better and smarter and nicer in the books, even Charmaine, who was not at all clingy. Perhaps I'll just read the books again.

I thought I'd read that they filmed both seasons back to back, but I'd be surprised if that's the case. Charmaine's writing in particular was very uneven. One minute she's thanking Mel and the next she's being a total brat about the situation. In the first season, she understood that Jack wasn't going to commit, and although he'd told her that he wasn't going to do that, she was still sad but realistic. This season, she is insane and it's frustrating to watch.

It also doesn't seem to make sense that the characters keep interacting with known or suspected killers. It's dumb and too dark for the series. This series works best as romantic comedy with some light drama. The scenes with Mel and Jack that focus on their relationship, her grief, and his PTSD work the best. The drug stuff is just too dark and is jarring compared to the scenery and the rest of the storylines. Jack's behavior in that storyline also doesn't seem to fit given that he promised Mel she would never have to lose him and then he repeatedly puts himself in harm's way.

Finally, did anyone else get the feeling that Jack's friend from his troop had hooked up with Charmaine? Since she is still in the first trimester, I still suspect that the babies will end up not being Jack's. I imagine that the clue is in her bloodwork and that the timing won't match up. Speaking of timing, when Jack told his buddy that she was pregnant, he mentioned that they'd only been broken up for a month. If they had sex two weeks before they broke up, she'd only be 6 weeks pregnant, which makes the whole freaking storyline line even dumber since she likely wouldn't even know she was pregnant yet and certainly not for a whole month. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, valen said:

I thought I'd read that they filmed both seasons back to back, but I'd be surprised if that's the case. Charmaine's writing in particular was very uneven. One minute she's thanking Mel and the next she's being a total brat about the situation. In the first season, she understood that Jack wasn't going to commit, and although he'd told her that he wasn't going to do that, she was still sad but realistic. This season, she is insane and it's frustrating to watch.

It also doesn't seem to make sense that the characters keep interacting with known or suspected killers. It's dumb and too dark for the series. This series works best as romantic comedy with some light drama. The scenes with Mel and Jack that focus on their relationship, her grief, and his PTSD work the best. The drug stuff is just too dark and is jarring compared to the scenery and the rest of the storylines. Jack's behavior in that storyline also doesn't seem to fit given that he promised Mel she would never have to lose him and then he repeatedly puts himself in harm's way.

Finally, did anyone else get the feeling that Jack's friend from his troop had hooked up with Charmaine? Since she is still in the first trimester, I still suspect that the babies will end up not being Jack's. I imagine that the clue is in her bloodwork and that the timing won't match up. Speaking of timing, when Jack told his buddy that she was pregnant, he mentioned that they'd only been broken up for a month. If they had sex two weeks before they broke up, she'd only be 6 weeks pregnant, which makes the whole freaking storyline line even dumber since she likely wouldn't even know she was pregnant yet and certainly not for a whole month. 

I haven't watched that far (and may not ever do so). What friend is it? I want to know if another character is being ruined that will make me really not want to watch.

Okay I'm back, courtesy of a lot of fast-forwarding.  I'm not sure if I watched a single Ricky/Lizzie scene.  

Of course crazy abusive dead ex has an equally crazy twin brother!  And they're both crooked cops!  Because it wouldn't be a soap without an evil twin, or shady cops being shady.

Speaking of evil twins, wow @valen is right...Charmaine was all over the place.  One minute thanking Mel, the next yelling at her for "stealing" Jack, lather rinse repeat, all season long.  I figure the writers, when inevitably called out for that, are going to blame pregnancy hormones, which I guess isn't entirely wrong, but still.  That seems like a very convenient excuse for bad writing.

Mark's sister showing up was random.  Does Mel have anyone in the world who likes her/is nice to her besides Jack and Joey?  I know, I know, we as the audience are supposed to see how perfect and angelic and level-headed she is in the face of an abusive, cruel world, but jeez show.  Cut the girl just a tiny bit of slack.

I do kinda hope that the cliffhanger ends in a way that we aren't expecting.  Having one of Calvin's goons be the shooter is pretty obvious.  It'd be cool if they actually made it Charmaine, driven into a jealous rage.  Though the fact that the shot was in the stomach kind of makes me think of that scene in Austin Powers where Dr. Evil's son mocks how people in movies always are really bad at killing people, because the plot actually wants them to survive.  Any actual killer would've just shot him in the head and been done with it.

I'm going to watch Season 3, but not because I think this show is good (which I legit thought it was after Season 1).  It's become a trashy soapy guilty pleasure.  

• Love 4
On 10/29/2020 at 4:51 PM, dubstepford wife said:

I'm excited for Hope and Doc, even though she drives me up a wall.

She's kind of terrible. Props to Annette O'Toole for not softening Hope's edges, but it's really annoying that Hope expects everyone to bend to her will no matter what. Keeping her relationship with Doc a secret and making him date Muriel is beyond stupid. The news will eventually get out and people will talk. Deal with it.

On 11/12/2020 at 9:33 AM, dubstepford wife said:

I hope the show redeems [Charmaine] a little bit and gives her the opportunity to move on and find her own happiness.

Same, because right now it looks like she's using the baby to "trap" Jack, and that attitude is wildly outdated and misogynist.

• Like 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, auntlada said:

What friend is it? I want to know if another character is being ruined that will make me really not want to watch.

Jack told Mike that Charmaine is pregnant. So Mike had an odd reaction. It’s in episode 5. The scene starts around 20:55 with the guys playing football. 21:47 is when Jack tells Mike about Charmaine and the whole scene is over by 23:00. 

So, if Netflix does have Mike as a possible baby daddy then there goes his book storyline with Jack’s sister. 

Edited by WarmSkull
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, dubstepford wife said:

Mark's sister showing up was random. 

This storyline was not needed. It didn’t do anything to advance Mel’s character or her storyline. I’d understand if Mel did give the ring back and that pushed her into grieving. Or if we got more flashback. But, nope. 

The only good thing it did was prevent more Lizzy scenes and prevent more Jack and/or Charmaine scenes. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

I'm a knitter and this happens all the time.  Shows/movies also frequently confuse knitting and crochet, which is just freaking lazy.  It takes two seconds to Google the difference between them.  But yeah, I was like, Connie, what are you doing?

Funniest one to me was on Chilling Adventures of Sabrina where there was a line about someone knitting their own death shroud when they plainly had a crochet hook in their hand!

I only just found out yesterday that Annette O’Toole is a knitter so I’m surprised this happened on this show. Maybe she wasn’t around when they shot that closeup?

• Love 1
12 hours ago, memememe76 said:

The one thing that surprised me this season: after Mel finally realized/admitted she was in love with Jack, I was SURE the next phone call he got would be Charmaine freaking out that she was in premature labor. For once the show dodged a cliche.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, WarmSkull said:

Jack told Mike that Charmaine is pregnant. So Mike had an odd reaction. It’s in episode 5. The scene starts around 20:55 with the guys playing football. 21:47 is when Jack tells Mike about Charmaine and the whole scene is over by 23:00. 

So, if the Netflix does have Mike has a possible baby daddy then there goes his book storyline with Jack’s sister. 

Thanks. I don't think I need to see that. I don't understand why they had to create all this extra stuff and change everyone's storylines so much. There was plenty of drama in the books, I thought.

• Love 2

All of the characters drive me crazy in how they flit around. Enter a house, leave thirty seconds later. Arrive at work, get called away for an hour or a day. Work a shift at the bakery truck, take a break immediately. A schedule of patients at the clinic? Apparently not, because Mel and Doc are too busy running all over.  Order a drink, but leave before it gets delivered. Host a reunion, but Preacher doesn’t attend the fun activities because he’s busy working IN JACK’S BAR!! 

I just want to yell at them all, “Sit still!! Have a full conversation or at least finish a thought.”

Oh, and what’s with the obsession with lemonade?? Every single person offers it up.

Edited by Cancun
  • LOL 2
  • Love 12

Ok, since it's been mentioned now by others and this is an all-season thread, I'll comment now on what I referred to previously -- the evil, abusive ex has a TWIN BROTHER?!?!?  I mean, COME ON. Is Mel's husband now going to come back next season in a different person's body after having a secret brain transplant? Will an evil overlord put the town into an ice freeze? Will Jack lose his memory and be convinced by Charmaine that they've been married all this time? I like my soapy dramas, but throwing a vengeful twin into the plot just starts veering too much into silly daytime soap territory. Obviously having a twin isn't unprecedented; it's just how it's being used here that makes it impossible not to roll my eyes.

Edited by laugard
  • LOL 9

I binge watched the entire second season in two days. It seemed to me like the timeline for all ten episodes was only a week or two. Did anyone else think that? And what was the timeline for season one? How long after Mark died did Mel sell her house and move to Virgin River? Because she was only marking the first year of his passing in episode 7 or 8. 

Other thoughts:

Yes, Charmaine was terrible. She wasn't even out of the first trimester, right? So why is she telling everyone? Shouldn't it be kept quiet at that point? (Full disclosure: I have never been pregnant). 

Ricky and Lizzie scenes: I used this time to check my email or look at pinterest. Although I did watch the scene with his grandmother and thought she was great. But Ricky needs to tell Lizzie to not call him away from work so often. 

Did Jack work at all over these ten episodes? Maybe Preacher becoming partner would help him with the cash flow to buy a house.

Also agree that maybe Jack isn't the father. 

Why was a birthing center not an option for Charmaine? I realize there probably isn't one in the middle of (Alaska? Northern California? Oregon? Where are we?) Virgin River/Clear River territory, but there's a doula? OK show. Also, Mel shouldn't have to put up with abuse or mistreatment from a patient. And Charmaine is crossing some lines, so Mel would be within her rights to turn Charmaine's care over to someone else. And from a professional standpoint, probably should. She doesn't need to be a long-term caregiver, but could agree to treat in an emergency. 

• Love 6

I binged it too.  I enjoyed it for the most part.

I mostly want to know what’s wrong with Doc.  He seemed to have trouble reading, so maybe macular degeneration?

So Connie is okay giving a false alibi for someone who was involved in covering up for a killing, but god forbid her 19 year niece be responsible about birth control.

I think that the two leads have great chemistry.  I totally buy their relationship.

So the actress who played Paige is gone?  I liked the visiting restaurant lady, I thought she should stick around.

Who shot Jack?  I have no idea.  Stay tuned!

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, laugard said:

Ok, since it's been mentioned now by others and this is an all-season thread, I'll comment now on what I referred to previously -- the evil, abusive ex has a TWIN BROTHER?!?!?  I mean, COME ON. Is Mel's husband now going to come back next season in a different person's body after having a secret brain transplant? Will an evil overlord put the town into an ice freeze? Will Jack lose his memory and be convinced by Charmaine that they've been married all this time? I like my soapy dramas, but throwing a vengeful twin into the plot just starts veering too much into silly daytime soap territory. Obviously having a twin isn't unprecedented; it's just how it's being used here that makes it impossible not to roll my eyes.

Lol, yeah and my favorite part of this is that the character was played by a different actor in Season One.  So they didn't have to do the twin thing, they could have just brought that actor back for the first two episodes, then made creepy Hallmark/Lifetime journeyman actor his (non-twin) brother.  But nope, apparently that's not soapy enough.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, Tiggertoo said:

I binged it too.  I enjoyed it for the most part.

I mostly want to know what’s wrong with Doc.  He seemed to have trouble reading, so maybe macular degeneration?

So Connie is okay giving a false alibi for someone who was involved in covering up for a killing, but god forbid her 19 year niece be responsible about birth control.

I think that the two leads have great chemistry.  I totally buy their relationship.

So the actress who played Paige is gone?  I liked the visiting restaurant lady, I thought she should stick around.

Who shot Jack?  I have no idea.  Stay tuned!

Connie seemed like different people depending on who she was talking to. 

• Love 8
5 hours ago, auntlada said:

There was plenty of drama in the books, I thought.

I really want the Book Mike’s story to play out. I read all the books at the beginning of the pandemic & am annoyed at the changes. But I still enjoyed it. Nothing bad seems to really happen in VR so it’s nice & escapist (even bad things wrap up quick). I think I must really like Mel & Jack because I absolutely hate Charmane & I am interested to see how they get her off my tv. I hate show Muriel & I don’t know why we have to watch Ricky & Lizzie so much. 

But Preacher is very attractive & seems to be level-headed so he helps me enjoy the show. 

• Love 6

Jack is eye candy for me so I dismiss a lot of crap.  However he has probably worked a total of 10 minutes this season and Preacher should tell him to shove his bar up his ass and go to SF.  The whole bmx bike scene?  Give me a fucking break.  No way those guys at that age sign up to do that. Hate Charmaine.  St. Mel is annoying.  Still can't quit this series though.

• Love 7