Type keyword(s) to search

S29.E05: '80s Night

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

All I could think about while watching Skai's jazz routine was that she wasn't born when this movie came out

All I could think about when they went into the package and Alan teased her about how little she knew about the 80s was that Alan, too, had not yet been born in the 80s.

I couldn't figure out why Carrie Ann's outfit looked so familiar and yet I couldn't place it. But then it hit me: she was dressed like my Jem doll. And I loved her for it.

I got a very Whitney Houston feeling when Tyra came out in the beginning. I can't remember if Whitney ever wore a gold lamé dress, but she definitely had that hair.

Cheryl's holographic lamé dress was like another part of the dance. Sometimes the flash of the fabric distracted me from the dance.

There was just so much lamé in general. I can't remember which guy(s?) had on lamé pants but thinking about how they must feel against sweaty hairy legs grosses me out. Though I guess they wouldn't be any better against unhairy sweaty legs, either.

I feel like Justina has been underscored for two weeks in a row now. There's no way her salsa last week didn't deserve at least one 9, and I felt the same about her jazz. I loved all the Flashdance choreography, and I love how she goes after every step with aplomb.

Nelly was so into it this week and I loved it. He's looked so ill at ease all along, but he just had such swag about him in this dance. I hope it sticks around.

Jeannie is my absolute favorite, but I've always loved her in everything she's been in, so it's not so much I love her dancing as much as I just love her. To me she totally embodies joie de vivre. And I love her partnership with Brandon, despite being really unsure of him at the start. I really hope they stick around for a long time.

I didn't watch Kaitlyn on the Bachelorette, but I really like her and enjoy seeing her dance.

Even if he has dance experience, I still love Nev. So what if he was a dance minor in college? Do you (or did you) find any physical activity as easy to do at 36 as you did at 22? Cause I'm just two years older than he is, and I most certainly don't.

I love AJ. I really always thought his name was pronounced "muh-clane" not "muh-clean" but that was my own stupidity. I loved this dance.

I thought Johnny would be way better coming in, but I think I appreciate him more because he wasn't. This isn't coming easily to him, but I still think he's terrific. That said, I thought he was underscored last week and maybe one point overscored this week. But then again, I thought the dance was way better than the one earning Skai 28 last week, so maybe 29 was right. I like he and Britt together. But who were he and Britt dressed as? His overalls originally put me in mind of the My Buddy doll, but that's about all I could come up with. 

Chrishell is fine, I think, but I hate Gleb so maybe she's coming off better by comparison. Vernon's fine, though I think that wig really screwed up his concentration this week. To me he looked afraid to move his neck. But maybe he was just hating his life because it made him so hot. Monica's fine, if severely overscored this week. I feel like she should be a better dancer with the whole cheerleading thing, but I guess not.

Did that cover everyone still remaining? I think so...

Honestly, I'm impressed with how good everyone is this year. I don't know that we've had as many evenly-matched stars who are also pretty decent dancers in a very long time, if ever. I like that there's not an obvious breakout star. Another week or two and I'm going to start being really disappointed no matter who leaves each week.

• Love 7

Why is Bruno still turning around and looking behind his chair at the non-existent audience when he makes certain statements?

There's no one there to boo him.

Edited by jette
Because looking behind his "hair" doesn't make sense. Duh.
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
28 minutes ago, dvr devotee said:

I love AJ. I really always thought his name was pronounced "muh-clane" not "muh-clean" but that was my own stupidity. I loved this dance.

So did I.  It surprised me to hear it pronounced “Muh-clean”, but what do I know?  People have been mispronouncing my last names, both maiden and married, my entire 60+ years.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The thing I really enjoy about Jeannie is how she throws herself into these routines with total abandon. You can tell by watching her that she is fearless and willing to try anything.

This! Her Up! dance in Disney week was my favorite that week because she performed it so well. I’d never heard of her before DWTS, and I look forward to her packages and dances now. Brandon seems the perfect partner for her, too.

Skai keeps getting overscored. Like others, I find her Bambi-ness and much younger than 18 looks off-putting. Not sure why the youthfulness bothers me so much.

I had thought Peta looked like she’d been injured during the dance — I noticed that neck grab and wince. Hope she’s feeling better.

I can’t believe how enjoyable Nelly’s samba was! I wonder what brought about the change.

• Love 3

I am a HUGE BRIJO supporter....I love them!  I think they absolutely knocked it out of the park for 80s night.  I love Skai....I think she's adorable but she does look so young.  My daughter grew up watching Jessie...so she's a sentimental favorite for me.  Nelly has really surprised me and I am enjoying watching him 🙂 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Electruck said:

This! Her Up! dance in Disney week was my favorite that week because she performed it so well. I’d never heard of her before DWTS, and I look forward to her packages and dances now. Brandon seems the perfect partner for her, too.

Skai keeps getting overscored. Like others, I find her Bambi-ness and much younger than 18 looks off-putting. Not sure why the youthfulness bothers me so much.

I had thought Peta looked like she’d been injured during the dance — I noticed that neck grab and wince. Hope she’s feeling better.

I can’t believe how enjoyable Nelly’s samba was! I wonder what brought about the change.

I never heard of Jeannie either until this show.  That's not surprising since I mostly just watch dance or some of the singing reality shows.  She is one of my favorites too.  I also like Justina and Johnny.  I started liking Johnny last week when he finally looked like he was enjoying himself.  I know that Nev and Kaitlyn are really good dancers but I just don't like them as much.  However, I would be o.k. if Kaitlyn won since I do like Artem.

I think both Skai and Monica were overscored this week.  Skai was last week too.  I mentioned her Bambi legs before.  She looks a lot younger than 18.  Alan is 26 and except for Brandon, I think he's the youngest male pro.  I do think both Brandon and Alan act young in their packages.  One of the reasons why their partnership doesn't work is because of their height difference.  However, Brandon is also tall.  If Mark was there, he probably would have been her partner.  Sasha would have matched but Justina is also short.  Pasha is short but I can see why Carole was partnered with him instead of Alan.  Carole was the oldest contestant and Alan acts young although I see him being patient too just like Pasha.  On a side note, Skai's mom is gorgeous.

I hope Peta is feeling better too.  She did look like she was hurting after their dance.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I was very surprised by Nelly.  I'm wondering if Daniella has read comments.  She made a point during the interview that Nelly was a great person to work with.  Last week, I said that it doesn't even look like Nelly wants to be there.  I'm sure that I'm not the only person that made that comment on social media.

• Love 2

I thought Nelly was great this week. I haven't seen anyone improve in one week as much as he did. Really, his dance was the only one I wasn't bored with besides Nev and Johnny.

I'm surprised AJ hasn't stood out more. He's just there and I forget about him once he's done.

• Love 2
On 10/14/2020 at 6:14 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

ITA - it's patronizing to hear him refer to the females as "honey" in his "awww, aren't you a cute little girl" voice and then bro out with DUDE for the guys.

That kind of annoys me but what annoys me more is his constant "I see you!" comments. Maybe it's just me noticing it, or annoyed by it. The first time he did it I thought it was kind of cute but now I feel like he's trying to coin some sort of catchphrase for himself. 

I don't know much about Skai's background at all but she does remind me of those gymnasts who perpetually like like little kids. Most of the time, it's not their fault so I'm not going to blame Skai for that. Some people just look young. 

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I don't know much about Skai's background at all but she does remind me of those gymnasts who perpetually like like little kids. Most of the time, it's not their fault so I'm not going to blame Skai for that. Some people just look young. 

I don't mind that she looks young because she can't help that. It's the immature quality of her movement that bothers me. She dances like a 12 year old at her first recital (I say that as someone who has had to sit through a lot of recitals - there's definitely a noticeable difference in 12 year old girls who just started dancing).

• Love 2

My favorite dance of the night was Nelly and Daniella's samba! Love the song, good rhythm, good content, and definitely Nelly's best and most relaxed dance so far.

And speaking of Daniella, she reminds me SO much of Karina, both in looks (if Karina were blonde) and superior dance technique.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I don't mind that she looks young because she can't help that. It's the immature quality of her movement that bothers me. She dances like a 12 year old at her first recital (I say that as someone who has had to sit through a lot of recitals - there's definitely a noticeable difference in 12 year old girls who just started dancing).

I think she would have been better with Val. He is good at working with kids, and he choreographs well for them. Val has no chemistry whatsoever with Monica anyway. They don't even look like they like each other that much.

I LOVE dancing, and used to love this show... and would chat with friends during the show to judge the dancers and snark... such fun!... now that Tom is gone, the anticipation of watching the show live, and the fun of doing so is also gone. Dangit, abc. We have enough disappointments these days without your stupid decisions ruining one of our fave shows!

The good:

- everything about Justina and Jeannie (hope they both go the distance)

- Kaitlyn's surprise ending (love Artem!)

- my pvr (I tape the show and fast-forward through Tyra's content)

The bad:

- Tyra (I've given her a chance... she continues to destroy my enjoyment of DWTS - it isn't called LAM [Look At ME]... and now I ff her)

- some scores (Justina's comes to mind...)

- most of the wigs

The ugly:

- Val's wig in particular... OMG

- Tyra's exaggerated attempt to walk, talk, and smize (may I point out that Tom was NEVER ugly? shame on you, abc)

- Gleb's overtly sexual 'moves'... he makes my skin crawl because he reminds me of the handsy, creepy uncles at wedding dances. Yuck.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the dances! The 80's were a bizzi time for me... part of my hay daze. I'm so happy it was pre-internet/social media. Some secrets are best kept that way. LOL

• Love 4

Can someone please explain why they need to explode confetti at the end of every freaking dance? It’s so stupid! It kind of loses the wow factor when they do it every single time.....

Tyra continues to look completely ridiculous, only this time Carrie Ann joined in. WTF???

I am having trouble distinguishing between Chrishell, Kaitlyn and Monica. They all just kind of blend together for me. I guess I like Kaitlyn better because I like Artem?

My favorites were Justina, Nelly and Jeannie. I liked Nev too but that quickstep was verging on frantic for me. That song has a fast tempo but it seemed even faster than the original.

I thought the all the clothes, makeup and hair was over the top insane. They all looked like they were wearing Halloween costumes if you were going dressed up in an 80’s theme. Vernon deserved to be saved out of pity for being forced into that horrible wig.

I  too find all the lights, setting, and confetti, etc., over the top; even Tyra's costumes.  But I can understand that they are trying to make up for the lack of an audience, so they try to fill up the visual space and distract from it.

What bothers me the most is the audience noise when there is no audience.  Too much, too loud, the boo-ing and the judges' reacting to the boos are too fake.

I realize how challenging it was to set all this up, so I give it them a partial pass.  But I would really prefer less distraction and more emphasis on the dancers rather than the environment of the dance.

• Love 6

Well, I guess this shows how (not) excited I have been to watch this season-I finally caught up with this episode.<shrug>

The wigs were horrendous, especially Alan's-were they trying to make him look like Doc Brown from Back to the Future? If so, they failed.

Nev's maniacal look throughout most of his dance creeped me out.

To those saying that Tyra didn't mess up this week, she flubbed quite a few of her lines, plus her saying the. number. to. text. is. 7. 2. 9 (whatever it is) is really getting on my nerves.  I know I should just start FF'ing her... 

Johnny was overscored

Jesse was probably the right one to leave, but I'm kind of sad about it because I like Sharna

How was Chrishell not in the bottom two?

I just realized I'm typing this after the next episode has already aired. Maybe I'll catch up with last night's episode before next week😂

• Love 1
On 10/12/2020 at 9:42 PM, TenaciousWarrior said:

Chrishell was on 3 soap operas, so that’s a built in fan base right there. I know her from Days of our Lives and she gets all my votes every week.  Plus, I’m sure she gets some sympathy votes for being Justin Hartley’s ex that was crapped on by him. 

I AM Shocked About Chrishell And Justin ! Did He Dump Her For Some Other Woman ? I Had NOT Heard Any Thing And I Thought They Were Happy ! Okay, I Think Chrishell Was On All My Children And There Is Days OF Our Lives ! 1 What Is The Other Soap Opera That Chrishell Was On ?

On 10/12/2020 at 9:49 PM, Legalbeagle421 said:

I vaguely remember Tom having to say this last year too. I think they’re just trying to emphasize that the third to last person is not actually the third to last in votes since everyone called prior is in random order. 

I thought the exact same thing! I was hoping it was on purpose but I’m doubtful 😂

I Wonder IF Derek Broke The Rules By Saying That ! I Don't Think IT Is Right For Tyra To Come In And SCREAM AT Derek When He Has WON FIVE Mirror Ball Trophies ! I Don't Care IF She IS The PRODUCER As Well As The Host ! !

On 10/12/2020 at 9:54 PM, OnTime said:

They use to have the judges have a sign with the couples names when they picked who to save.

Now they just say the names knowing what the judge before them said and can change their mind.

They need to use the signs!!! What happened??

The Judges On America's Got Talent Just Say Who They Want To Save So I Think They Are Trying To Be Like America's Got Talent !

On 10/12/2020 at 10:18 PM, Morrigan said:

I remember signs when they had those elimination dances, where they vote off the couples, one by one, and award the winning couple with a bunch of points.  I don't remember them using signs to choose who goes home though, but I haven't watched this show as much as the British one - and I know they don't pick the losing couple with signs over there.

Yes, I Think That IS Correct ! They Would Have A Red And Blue Team And One Time, The Winning Team Ended Up With 52 Points !

On 10/27/2020 at 7:01 PM, Jody said:

I AM Shocked About Chrishell And Justin ! Did He Dump Her For Some Other Woman ? I Had NOT Heard Any Thing And I Thought They Were Happy ! Okay, I Think Chrishell Was On All My Children And There Is Days OF Our Lives ! 1 What Is The Other Soap Opera That Chrishell Was On ?

the other soap  was the young and the restless

Edited by sue450
1 hour ago, sue450 said:

the other soap  was the young and the restless

I Think IT IS Funny That Justin Was Also On The Young And The Restless, But Not When She Was On There ! Who Did Chrishelle Play On The Young And The Restless ! By The Way, Justin Was Adam Newman! He Was Adam When They Had Ian Ward On There ! Ian Had A Cult That Mariah Was In! Before Mariah Years ago, Nikki Was In The Cult !

On 10/27/2020 at 7:01 PM, Jody said:

Justin filed for divorce in November 2019. Chrishell found out when Justin sent her a text to notify her and 45 minutes later, TMZ reported it (which means he told them). He has been dating his former Y&R costar Sofia Pernas since May 2020.