Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: The Group B Premiere - Six More Masks

• Start Topic

41 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

Mickey Rourke is someone I never expected to on here. But hey, 2020. 

I'm wondering if he was planning to do a one and done or he simply wanted out of that costume. 

I think it was planned. He would have gotten eliminated anyway, most likely.

• Love 5

That looked like a complete set up to me..  I'm okay with his leaving so soon as I didn't think he was very good but I wasn't a fan of the Whatchamacallit either.   

Seahorse & Sun are my two front runners.  

• Love 4

I'm sure that was planned, producer-wise anyway. Nick/judges might not have known. He went last for a reason. He got to have some fun, add Oscar-nominee contestant cred to the show, and all the better singers got to stay. It was super weird, but so is the whole show. I like this first impressions card, and love the little train.

• Love 5

Show has to do something to mix up the format so I was totally good with it. As a previous  poster said, he probably would have been voted off anyway so it did provide a bit of fun.  Not to excited about Group B.  Seahorse was probably the best of the lot.  

• Love 2

I think it would have been more enjoyable if they hadn't advertised so heavily that something shocking was going to happen. Took away a great deal of the fun. He would have been the right person to go home in any event so I'm not mad about it. Better than having it dragged out.

I think they're doing a much better job with the clues because I have no idea who most of these people are at this point. I have a strong guess for the Baby Alien, but beyond that I do not know. They've clearly been throwing in some red herrings and they certainly choose to highlight very small events that are real to throw people off.

• Love 3

I feel like the Seahorse is Carly Rae Jepsen. I've listened to her music enough that I am fairly certain I can recognize her voice, and even the little "Hey!"s that she would periodically interject into the song while singing were very CRJ-esque. Plus in the clue package there was a sign that said "Emotion Ocean", and "Emotion" is the name of one of her albums. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Who do you think it is?

I think it's Jason Segel. He has puppet experience, he participated in a performance at the Tonys one year when NPH hosted, the stake made me think of the Dracula number in Forgetting Sarah Marshall and I just kind of think that's his voice.

59 minutes ago, Phishbulb said:

I feel like the Seahorse is Carly Rae Jepsen. I've listened to her music enough that I am fairly certain I can recognize her voice, and even the little "Hey!"s that she would periodically interject into the song while singing were very CRJ-esque. Plus in the clue package there was a sign that said "Emotion Ocean", and "Emotion" is the name of one of her albums. 

The only thing that has me holding back on this is the Seahorse seemed tall for a woman and Carly is short. I know the costumes can hide height to a certain point, but the shoulders looked tall. Many of the clues do fit and there was something to her tone especially in the first verse but I'm not totally sold yet.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, vibeology said:

The only thing that has me holding back on this is the Seahorse seemed tall for a woman and Carly is short. I know the costumes can hide height to a certain point, but the shoulders looked tall. Many of the clues do fit and there was something to her tone especially in the first verse but I'm not totally sold yet.

When you look at Seahorse standing next to Nick she’s significantly shorter than him. I wouldn’t be surprised if she is under 5’5. 

11 hours ago, vibeology said:

I think it's Jason Segel. He has puppet experience, he participated in a performance at the Tonys one year when NPH hosted, the stake made me think of the Dracula number in Forgetting Sarah Marshall and I just kind of think that's his voice.

That’s my guess too. 

13 hours ago, vibeology said:

He was also in the last Muppet movie.

I watched the episode tonight.  I was spoiled about Mickey Rourke because I forgot it was Wednesday and looked at Twitter.  He was trending.  So I looked for clues I thought I would recognize.  I only know him from Angel Heart and 9 and a Half Weeks.  I saw a lot of little hearts behind him.  I thought the cooking part had something to do with feeding food to Kim Basinger.  I never actually saw the movie but I saw a couple of short clips from it.  I thought Mickey was drunk as he couldn't remember the lyrics and he was wandering around aimlessly.  He was kind of a looker in Angel Heart.  Now he looks like he's been through the ringer. 

While I know it isn't him, I was getting a sort of Weird Al vibe from Whatchamacallit.  Just the way he moved and touched his hair.  The costume reminded me of an old hippie.  

I wasn't that impressed with the sea horse.  I thought her voice was kind of soft.  Mostly, I zoned out while she was singing so I lost all interest in her all together. 

Otherwise, the clues aren't helping me at all.  The judges were throwing out names for one of the girl singers that I have no clue who they are. 

Mickey Rourke removing his mask was obviously staged, but it was fun to shake up the format a bit for one round. It seemed like he was going to be the first to go anyway, so that was a fun way for him to go with style. This has never been a show that is really about competing and winning and taking things seriously, its about wacky hijinks and showmanship and watching a bunch of power ranger monsters doing drunk karaoke together in between battles. 

• Love 5

So, the Gremlin was obviously going home anyway. When he was "singing" my guess was Gary Busey or someone else with a lot of damaged brain cells. Wasn't shocked to see Mickey Rourke. 

Totally agree with the earlier poster who thought the hype about the big surprise should have been left out. That would have made for much more entertainment.

• Love 5

I was getting an Alfonso Ribeiro vibe from Baby Alien. Some of the clues seem to fit: he starred in The Tap Dance Kid on Broadway and performed with the rest of the cast at the 1984 Tony Awards. (Alfonso comes in about halfway through the number) Second gear could refer to playing sidekick roles: think Alfonso on Silver Spoons and Carlton on Fresh Prince of Bel Air. Pursuing other passions: he’s done lots of other things. Plus he can sing and I feel like he’s the type of person who would do the show.

10 hours ago, tribbles said:

I wonder why there was only one female singer in this episode?  Couldn't they have balanced the genders a bit more?

Probably scheduling. Each group is filmed in a block of two days to minimize the time commitment for each celebrity. Last season the groups were really lopsided as far as talent goes. 

6 hours ago, retired watcher said:

I think the Baby Alien could be Terry Fator. He can sing and talk in any voice and his is a puppeteer. 

That was my first thought too...especially with LV shows being closed during the pandemic.

Really impressed with the quality of singing this season.

DId Nick Cannon announce the first impressions on the first episode?  Or did Ken just say he thought somebody was Marshawn Lynch and then changed to Michael Phelps?

Distracted by Jenny's cleavage, even though the implants could use a little revision to make them look a little more realistic.

I guessed it was Mickey Rourke.  Used to live in the same neighborhood as him and chatted with him before.  Guessing he had agreed to only do one show and likely knew he was a little outclassed.

For some reason, I thought the Seahorse was Kylie Minogue.  Not sure why.  But that was my first immediate guess.  But I'm thinking that the singer is younger?

I'm confused about the fact that the judges are far apart from each other (as they should be) but Nick Cannon the the "men in black" seem to be on top of each other (as they shouldn't be). Also, I get that the singers are in those costumes, etc, but again Nick is standing super close to them without any sort of mask of his own.  I really would like to see more consistency of safety precautions on this show. 

• Love 5

My understanding is part of the policy is duration. So the judges are sitting next to each other maskless for extended periods indoors - their seats have to be farther apart. Nick stands close to humans onstage maskless for less than a full segment - he can be closer. I think it'd send a better message to people at home if he were consistently positioned farther from anyone else on stage, but I think they're following the letter of the rules, presuming my guess is right and he's farther away in between takes and whatnot and not standing that close for more than a few minutes at a time.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 10/2/2020 at 12:20 AM, Commando Cody said:

Now he looks like he's been through the ringer. 

I kinda (just kinda) hate to be that person, but -- it's "through the wringer."  I think it's from when there were wringer washing machines (which, yes, I'm old enough to have used) that you had to push the clothes through the wringer after washing.  Being able to use the spin cycle is so much better!

Edited by Roxie
  • Love 4
43 minutes ago, Roxie said:

I kinda (just kinda) hate to be that person, but -- it's "through the wringer."  I think it's from when there were wringer washing machines (which, yes, I'm old enough to have used) that you had to push the clothes through the wringer after washing.  Being able to use the spin cycle is so much better!

It was a pun.  I think he was a wrestler.  I should have put it in quotes.  I guess it wasn't a very obvious joke.  

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

It was a pun.  I think he was a wrestler.  I should have put it in quotes.  I guess it wasn't a very obvious joke.  

Or I'm just a little dense!  I think it was a good joke!

Edited by Roxie
On 10/6/2020 at 11:37 PM, theatremouse said:

My understanding is part of the policy is duration. So the judges are sitting next to each other maskless for extended periods indoors - their seats have to be farther apart. Nick stands close to humans onstage maskless for less than a full segment - he can be closer. I think it'd send a better message to people at home if he were consistently positioned farther from anyone else on stage, but I think they're following the letter of the rules, presuming my guess is right and he's farther away in between takes and whatnot and not standing that close for more than a few minutes at a time.

I agree - America's Got Talent I think did it right - Terry always stood further apart even though they are only standing together a few minutes...

On 10/1/2020 at 9:51 AM, Phishbulb said:

It's Tori Kelly. I'd know that voice anywhere.

On 10/1/2020 at 10:20 PM, Dani said:

When you look at Seahorse standing next to Nick she’s significantly shorter than him. I wouldn’t be surprised if she is under 5’5. 

Well Tori Kelly is 5 foot 4, according to Mr. Google, so I'm still on track!