Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E02: Qualifier 2

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Chaos Theory said:

Why did the power tower start this week and not last week?   

Anyway Flex Labreck was awesome as usual.  Was kinda disappointed she didn’t try the mega wall.

Awesome that at least one person got up the mega wall already.  

Power Tower was skipped in the first episode because Drew was one of the Top 2 finishers (though Drew didn't win the tower). Drew's teammates did qualify individually. 

Anyways, I'm still watching Ep 2. Capt NBC's running and making it even with his injured thumb. 🙂

I'm surprised more of these ninjas aren't doing a Megawall run. A lot of the stronger ones (like Ethan Swan) went for speed it seems instead of the cash. 

I'm glad they mixed up the obstacles for each group. Lunatic Ledges was surprisingly difficult, mainly for the newbies. It certainly needs more body control than people may expect, since if your legs get too far ahead when you jump, you can kick it away (like the first Ninja did). 

And the Ferris Wheel is just a tough one, especially if you can't absorb the impact(s) of the drops. 

Rib Run is proving to be one of the most challenging balance obstacles we've seen I think. Usually the balance ones will knock some out but are a solved problem. The fact that its more of a side to side balance action while going forward seems to throw people off. 

I noticed that many Ninjas have other Ninjas watching from what seems to be hotel rooms. Assumably some of these Ninjas are competing in other runs. It may not be exactly fair, since some will get to see the course before others. But I'm sure that happens normally too; when they see an earlier run from an earlier city and know what 4/6 of the obstacles are ahead of time. 

• Useful 2

Another fun-filled night. Sadly, I'm thinking more people were watching Dancing With The Stars. Basically, we're left to wonder if Jake Murray has the skills to break away from merely being an above-average goofball. Everyone else: "If there was an audience at DWTS, how many people would be jeering Carole Baskin and accusing her of killing her husband?"

Big news is that one of the plus-two ladies completed the course. Ashley McConville cleared the Warped Wall, so you know there was at least one instance where pants had to be changed in the announcers' booth. And given the pandemic, the show might have had to shut down for the night and and pick up 24 hours later just to be safe. Sadly, I think the balance was restored when a returning JJ Woods fell on the third obstacle.

Did either of Daniel Gil's friends make the cut? It's a weird situation . . . if a ninja wins on Power Tower, his/her friends join him/her in the semis, no questions asked. You have to wonder what Daniel's pals were thinking as he tried -- and failed -- to scale Mega Wall.

Roo Yori's dogs watched him online. I cannot not root for the guy.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2

Yay, Jake! But I also like Ethan, so it was good either way. At least Daniel Gil didn't make the tower climb; there's something about him I cannot stand and I always hope he'll splat. Maybe it's that he refers to his "story" ugh, gag, and thinks he's so damn inspiring .  Sorry, dude, you're just annoying.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Oh, crap.  I just learned that Nick Hansen's time wasn't fast enough to advance him to this semi-finals.  He is one of my all-time favorites.  I liked it better when everyone who finished the course advanced, regardless of time.  Stupid pandemic.  Can't he have Drew's spot?

Other than that, it was a great episode.  I've really missed this show.

• Love 3

I believe in the past they had all finishers move on to the next round regardless of the limits. 

This year, they've apparently reverted back to hard limits; probably because they have a might tighter filming schedule combined with more time needed to reset the course (to allow for sterilizing the equipment). 

That said, finishing the Megawall should be an auto pass to the next round. It's probably a situation the planners never really considered; having so many finishers that a high profile ninja finishing the ultimate wall wouldn't get through. 

• Love 5

It was great to see Abel Gonzalez again.  I must admit, I teared up a bit when Ashley McConville made it up the wall on her third try.  Also, the pet owners watching their owners/staff compete via Zoom was just too sweet.  I really appreciate this bit of normalcy (if a cat participating in a Zoom meeting can be said to be normal).  It also seems as though they're keeping SOME of the backstories down a bit.

Again, it's kind of the same odd stuff they've done in years past - some of the courses are easier than others, so they have a ton of finishers, but, others barely have any.  I would love to see Nick Hansen get a wild card spot into the finals, if they still do that.  The shots of him training on his flooded course were almost too surreal.

• Love 4

Nick Hanson is my favorite Ninja. I jumped out of my chair and yelled YES! and pumped my fist when he got up the Mega Wall. I hope he can come back as a wild card or something. I'm not a fan of Grant McCartney, but seeing him cheer on Nick, and knowing they are good friends, makes me tolerate him. At least Nick got $10,000 so there's that.

I'm not sure what I think of Jake Murray. Not that he cares!

• Love 2

But Flex Lebreck was 11.   She qualified on the basis of being female and the best finisher so shouldn't the next male be put in place there at number 12?   Especially if that male was Nick?    I mean i would be all for not doing it that way if only females who made the top 12 advanced but since females are advancing based on their performance against only the other females....    Yeah, I just want Nick to advance.

• Love 3

I enjoy that Roo "Adopt a Dog" Yori chose two cat people for his team. That was such a fun segment. Also Jackson Twait the Cat Dad is a local guy so I'm sponsoring him for Ninjas For Black Lives. The more obstacles he completes, the more $ goes to the Innocence Project.

• Love 3

Oh yeah I forgot about Ashley making it up in the third try.  That is always awesome.    

I k ow it’s weird but the one thing I find sad is people who fall in the first obstacle.   

it is kinda sad that finishing doesn’t guarantee moving on especially for the guy who got past the mega wall.  That should be an automatic qualification.  But I think these are the things no one thinks about (like both people making it up the Mt Midoriyama)  until it happens and then the rules need to be clarified and tweaked.   

49 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

But Flex Lebreck was 11.   She qualified on the basis of being female and the best finisher so shouldn't the next male be put in place there at number 12?   Especially if that male was Nick?    I mean i would be all for not doing it that way if only females who made the top 12 advanced but since females are advancing based on their performance against only the other females....    Yeah, I just want Nick to advance.

Nope, if the women get in the Top 12 they take a slot. The Top 3 women only add extras if one or more don't naturally get in the Top 12. 

Last week 1 woman got in the Top 12 naturally (and 1 was moved up to the Top 12 because of reasons so only the third woman was added by the Top 3 clause. 

On 9/15/2020 at 12:39 AM, SophiaD said:

Oh, crap.  I just learned that Nick Hansen's time wasn't fast enough to advance him to this semi-finals.  He is one of my all-time favorites.  I liked it better when everyone who finished the course advanced, regardless of time.  Stupid pandemic.  Can't he have Drew's spot?

Other than that, it was a great episode.  I've really missed this show.

I didn't realize that either.  I thought all finishers get to advance.  Nick is also one of my favorites.  Dumb pandemic.

• Love 1

Jake Murray = do not like.

Upon learning that Jake Murray builds cat towers = suddenly do like! 

What can I say. I'm easy that way. If there are cats involved, it is impossible to not like. 

On 9/15/2020 at 7:01 PM, saber5055 said:

I'm not a fan of Grant McCartney, but seeing him cheer on Nick, and knowing they are good friends, makes me tolerate him.

I had to LOL at him a little bit because I thought that he eats away screen time even when he's not really involved in the episode. Not that I mind, though!

On 9/15/2020 at 6:01 AM, EllenB said:

At least Daniel Gil didn't make the tower climb; there's something about him I cannot stand and I always hope he'll splat. Maybe it's that he refers to his "story" ugh, gag, and thinks he's so damn inspiring .  Sorry, dude, you're just annoying.

Ditto! 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Taeolas said:

Last week 1 woman got in the Top 12 naturally (and 1 was moved up to the Top 12 because of reasons so only the third woman was added by the Top 3 clause. 

in fairness i think they showed her as the 12th finisher so not to have to explain why there wasn't another finisher.  Drew ran this season they just aren't aknowledging it so they took his name out and put in a name of somebody who would still be there the next female finisher but it was done and dusted before the alligations came out so the next male finisher couldn't be added into the shows.   

• Useful 1
32 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

in fairness i think they showed her as the 12th finisher so not to have to explain why there wasn't another finisher.  Drew ran this season they just aren't aknowledging it so they took his name out and put in a name of somebody who would still be there the next female finisher but it was done and dusted before the alligations came out so the next male finisher couldn't be added into the shows.   

I think that's the *reasons* they were alluding to.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I think that's the *reasons* they were alluding to.

I know that's the "reasons" they were alluding to.  I'm just saying the second female wasn't part of the top 12.   She was just slotted in to make it look like she was part of the top 12 so they didn't have to address why they were not showing one of the top 12.

I love the Ring Chaser obstacle. It's clever as hell. 

Agree with the Daniel Gil suspicion. He seems like a very nice guy and is undeniably talented, but the religious fervor makes me give him the side-eye. Sometimes that nice-guy routine comes off as less authentic in super religious types because it feels like an attempt to sell me on it. That said, remember when he was an opera singer? That was fun.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I like it, too.  I have been waiting for someone to fall just in their pursuit of the ring, but I don't think that's happened yet.  A lot of people haven't been able to catch the ring, but they still manage to hang onto the bars with one hand.   Also, I don't think having to use the smaller ring adds as much difficulty as they thought it would.  

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I like it, too.  I have been waiting for someone to fall just in their pursuit of the ring, but I don't think that's happened yet.  A lot of people haven't been able to catch the ring, but they still manage to hang onto the bars with one hand.   Also, I don't think having to use the smaller ring adds as much difficulty as they thought it would.  

Caleb Bergstrom fell on the monkey bar portion, looked like he was trying to go too fast and got his hands a bit tangled up. It was shocking to see a ninja of his caliber fall on something as basic as monkey bars!

• Love 2
On 9/14/2020 at 10:29 PM, Lantern7 said:

Sadly, I'm thinking more people were watching Dancing With The Stars.

lol...I was. I was debating between the two and DWTS won because my friend was also watching and we snark over messenger while we watch. (If she hadn't been home ANW would have won. Gonna watch tonight.)

19 hours ago, Me from ME said:

Shallow I know, but Daniel Gil's hair bugs me. Too much on his head, too sparse on his chin. I could let the long curls stay if he just shaved his face. Now that I ponder it, has he ever tied it back in some way?

I can't imagine doing something like that with my hair loose. Jody Avila's wife didn't tie her (long, gorgeous) hair back, either. I often can't even get to the end of the day just sitting at my desk without pulling it into a braid or a bun or something.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Agree with the Daniel Gil suspicion. He seems like a very nice guy and is undeniably talented, but the religious fervor makes me give him the side-eye. Sometimes that nice-guy routine comes off as less authentic in super religious types because it feels like an attempt to sell me on it. That said, remember when he was an opera singer? That was fun.

I like the ring chaser too.

I remember when Daniel was an opera singer and at one point did ballroom.  That was fun.  Daniel seems nice but he also seems a little smug. 

3 hours ago, realdancemom said:

I remember when Daniel was an opera singer and at one point did ballroom.  That was fun.  Daniel seems nice but he also seems a little smug. 

My earliest memory of Daniel Gil was his initial intro where he was standing on what appeared to be a porch practicing opera.  I think he's multi-talented and a very nice guy.  In fact, he's one of my all-time favorite Ninjas.  I don't mind his hair but I do wish he'd shave his face clean.  That wispy little chin beard is not appealing.

4 hours ago, mlp said:

My earliest memory of Daniel Gil was his initial intro where he was standing on what appeared to be a porch practicing opera.  I think he's multi-talented and a very nice guy.  In fact, he's one of my all-time favorite Ninjas.  I don't mind his hair but I do wish he'd shave his face clean.  That wispy little chin beard is not appealing.

I think Daniel and his wife have beautiful hair.  But yes, he needs to shave the little chin beard.  He looked better without it.

Daniel Gil puts me off, as he comes off as disingenuous to me. I don't exactly know why, but I've always felt that way about him. And I will admit that maybe I'm being too harsh because of my dislike for him, but the fact that he could have had a time that would get him to the power tower and give his two teammates a chance to get back into the game and instead went for the megawall made me go "yep, not such a generous and kind person after all." Since winning the power tower doesn't send the winner right to the finals like it did last year, there was no benefit for him to skip the megawall, teammates be damned.

Edited by dvr devotee
  • Love 2
On 9/18/2020 at 3:09 PM, realdancemom said:

I think Daniel and his wife have beautiful hair. 

My husband thinks they look like creepy twins. I personally have a love/ hate with him. I can’t stand his cheesy demeanor and hair, but he’s so fantastic. I bet the show now wishes he had won last year instead of the pervert......

On 9/17/2020 at 10:20 AM, rocketinu said:

Not a fan of Jake since he ate that stupid corn dog upon finishing

I gotta say, I did laugh at that. The straight jacket, not so much. I do enjoy him though. I miss the headband.....

Sad about Eskimo Ninja! I didn’t even realize he didn’t make the cut! Gah!

On 9/17/2020 at 2:28 PM, ClareWalks said:

Caleb Bergstrom fell on the monkey bar portion,

I laughed. Also when his sister fell. Bye bye “Baby Bergies”! Gag. I don’t know why, but I have an visceral dislike of them. I think it’s the nickname. And her flash dance 80’s hair. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
48 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I laughed. Also when his sister fell. Bye bye “Baby Bergies”! Gag. I don’t know why, but I have an visceral dislike of them. I think it’s the nickname. And her flash dance 80’s hair. 

I distrust anyone who comes from such an enormous family. It just gives me the heebie jeebies for some reason. "I'm one of 12 kids!" Like WOW, that is a whole lot of life choices your parents made! (This may be an unpopular opinion, LOL.)

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I distrust anyone who comes from such an enormous family. It just gives me the heebie jeebies for some reason. "I'm one of 12 kids!" Like WOW, that is a whole lot of life choices your parents made! (This may be an unpopular opinion, LOL.)

Well, to be fair, it’s not so much a reflection of the kids as it is the parents. 😋

I just cannot stand the name Baby Bergies. It is so stupid. And if I was those two I would have left that nickname at home with the umpteen other blonde siblings......

• Love 1

I just came to post this exact thing - esp re: the mega wall and leaving the other guys out to dry.

Daniel Gil puts me off, as he comes off as disingenuous to me. I don't exactly know why, but I've always felt that way about him. And I will admit that maybe I'm being too harsh because of my dislike for him, but the fact that he could have had a time that would get him to the power tower and give his two teammates a chance to get back into the game and instead went for the megawall made me go "yep, not such a generous and kind person after all." Since winning the power tower doesn't send the winner right to the finals like it did last year, there was no benefit for him to skip the megawall, teammates be damned.

In years past, I’ve referred to Gil a ‘phoney baloney’ and his wife as a wannabe Tammy Faye (oh, the makeup).  Yes, I’m being petty...but i remember the magical boat ride of destruction where they had the videographer on board.  Barf.

Also - can’t stand the Bergies and laughed when the brother fell.  Akbar was being all side eye sexist - oh, his girlfriend finishes so you know he wants to finish.  Guess what, Akbar, a woman whose boyfriend completes the course ALSO wants to complete it.  I also think that wanting to spend that much time with your sibling is not normal.  Again, petty, but oh well.  

On 9/14/2020 at 10:29 PM, Lantern7 said:

Did either of Daniel Gil's friends make the cut? It's a weird situation . . . if a ninja wins on Power Tower, his/her friends join him/her in the semis, no questions asked. You have to wonder what Daniel's pals were thinking as he tried -- and failed -- to scale Mega Wall.

Roo Yori's dogs watched him online. I cannot not root for the guy.

I'm only just now watching the shows almost 6 months later.

A few things I'm a little confused about:
1) Is it strictly the top 12 ninjas or does everyone who finishes advance even if there are more finishers?
2) if someone wins Power Tower and their teammates would have been out if they hadn't won, are the teammates in in addition to the 12 or do they bump off people in the 12?
3) What's the current rule for establishing the timestamp for when you finished the Nth obstacle?  Is it when you clear the Nth obstacle or when you touch the (N+1)th obstacle?

Edited by QuantumMechanic
2 hours ago, QuantumMechanic said:

I'm only just now watching the shows almost 6 months later.

A few things I'm a little confused about:
1) Is it strictly the top 12 ninjas or does everyone who finishes advance even if there are more finishers?
2) if someone wins Power Tower and their teammates would have been out if they hadn't won, are the teammates in in addition to the 12 or do they bump off people in the 12?
3) What's the current rule for establishing the timestamp for when you finished the Nth obstacle?  Is it when you clear the Nth obstacle or when you touch the (N+1)th obstacle?

Not sure on 1. 2, the Power Tower friends are in addition to the 12 (assuming they don't make it anyway). 3, when you touch N+1.

11 hours ago, QuantumMechanic said:

I'm pretty sure it was just the top 12, plus possibly 2 more from a Power Tower win.  These were special rules just for this season.