Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: ¡Diablo!

paulvdb

So I have Feelings about the actual reunion between Chloe and Lucifer in this episode.  On the one hand, kind of cute that they could lead with humor (and Chloe threatening to shoot “Michael” again) since the show got a dramatic shootout life-and-death reunion out of the way in ep 1.

On the other hand, the wet blanket of Michael’s “Chloe is a miracle” revelation clouding the reunion really sucked the life out of enjoying seeing the two main characters back together again, which  was a bummer.  The reunion didn’t happen until 1/4 of the way through this set of episodes, so it felt like it should have been a momentous and satisfying event, but instead felt like rolling over a sharp speed bump at high speed.

I wish that Deckerstar could have had a conversation in this episode where Lucifer really explained to Chloe the full extent of how badly he personally took the revelation himself (how that ended up with his Vegas trip in S2, and how he didn’t really get over it until that S3 conversation with Linda in the Penthouse where Linda really laid it out for him what Lucifer’s free will entailed).  A raw, honest conversation about that, instead of what we got here (Lucifer begging Chloe to tell him what to do) would have felt better to me.

Chloe got mad about Lucifer saying his Mom told him about the miracle revelation quite awhile ago. I don’t recall Lucifer ever discussing Charlotte’s true identity and what really happened to his mom with Chloe, but since she acted like she knew all about his mother, I guess that it happened offscreen.  But maybe I forgot about it, haha.

This was the obligatory “in-universe TV show/ movie based on the world of the show” episode that supernatural dramas/crime procedurals must do (I think that it is required by law).  This felt pretty superficial as those types of eps go, but the story really didn’t take up that much time in the ep.

Dan trying to help Lucifer and Lucifer accepting the bracelet was a truly nice moment in the show.

All of Lucifer’s and Amenadiel’s siblings and parents really kind of suck!

• Love 7

I liked the "Diablo" credits. I didn't really care much for the parady-TV show aspect, especially since the actors for the show were collectively as smart as dirt. I did like Maze's little breakdown at the end-the way she asked "why did she leave me?", was rather heartbreaking. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, StarBrand said:

I liked the "Diablo" credits. I didn't really care much for the parady-TV show aspect, especially since the actors for the show were collectively as smart as dirt. I did like Maze's little breakdown at the end-the way she asked "why did she leave me?", was rather heartbreaking. 

Boy was that hilariously awful.  And it’s a top rated show?  The ‘acting’, ‘writing’, ‘set design’, and ‘props’, were just cringe worthy.  On purpose I suppose.

Edited by roamyn
10 hours ago, roamyn said:

Boy was that hilariously awful.  And it’s a top rated show?  The ‘acting’, ‘writing’, ‘set design’, and ‘props’, were just cringe worthy.  On purpose I suppose.

The fake TV shows on TV shows is always over the top bad,  like they were all made in that early 2000s where everything that was made was super cringey. (I'm looking at you Tarzan and Black Sash.)

• Love 3

Decent meta episode with all of the "show within a show" aspects.  Loved that the actual title card for this episode was even "Diablo" instead of Lucifer.  And I have a feeling that the big with the A.D. griping about how a hit network has to deal with bullshit from higher-ups about ratings and so forth, was probably some kind of behind the scenes reference to the likely drama that probably happened during this show's time on FOX.  But I called the main actress being the killer early since she was played by a recognizable face.  Also, the A.D. was played by Tessa Auberjonois: daughter of the late, great Rene Auberjonois.

Lucifer and Chloe now have an official reunion, but the show still finds some way to keep the drama and angst going, by having Lucifer admit that, yes, God did create her for Lucifer, so now Chloe is questioning their relationship and her role in life in general.  I don't mind Lucifer and Chloe as a couple, but I just don't care for all of the drama.  Plus, if we're following this universe's logic about God and the celestial stuff, everyone was created to serve some kind of purpose by God.  But that doesn't seem to mean it is set in stone, so I don't see why Chloe has to keep questioning her free-will like this.  We've already had several incidents where someone has defied "his will", and things continue on.

Heh, Lucifer ended up accepting Dan's self-help friendship bracelet and even acted out a Diablo script with him!  Hell really has changed him!

The Linda/Maze scenes were enjoyable and Lesley-Ann Brandt really sold Maze's breakdown over her abandonment issues.

Lucifer and Michael finally cross paths and have an epic fight that leads to Michael getting a nice scar on his face.  But now his plan is to pit Maze against Lucifer (again) by having her discover a torrid secret that Lucifer has apparently kept from her.

Episode ends without revealing the biggest mystery so far: just how long is poor Amenadiel going to be stuck with Hell guarding duty?!  

• Love 3

Its time for the meta episode! I love how all show within a show self referential parodies are always absolute over the top shit, I mean this was a top rated network show? This makes the bland start of this show look like the first season of Game of Thrones! Are the writers just working some stuff out? I wonder if the Chloe stand in character being a former stripper turned cop was a reference to Chloe's now rarely mentioned backstory of being a young actress in cheesy sex romps before she became a cop? I also thought some of the "how do you deal with being told what to do?" stuff was too on the nose and like they were trying too hard to connect the case with Chloe's issues, but it had its moments where it worked. From a super meta sense, Chloe is essentially dealing with being a supporting character in the grand story of the universe, much like Chloe as a character was created by the writers of Lucifer to be his love interest...which does mean that she was, in fact, created by God for Lucifer, so she was, in and out of universe" created to be Lucifer's love interest. That actually is pretty interesting, although of course then we go into the meta deep end as Lucifer himself was also created by the writers...meaning that Diablo is essentially an adaptation of the real life story of Lucifer, which is a TV show based on a comic book which was based on biblical texts and also a spin off from another comic and...

Puling myself away from the metafictional deep end, I do think that Chloe having an existential crisis about her being created for Lucifer to love is interesting and understandable, I just really struggle with connecting with her, because she is taking it out on Lucifer, who really didnt have anything to do with this. Its not his fault his father pulled this, and yeah maybe he should have told her the truth, but considering how much he himself freaked out, the fact that Chloe still didnt buy that Lucifer was really THAT Lucifer at the time, that when she did realize who he was she fucked off to Europe to join an anti Lucifer conspiracy to send him back to Hell and then a bunch of other shit went down and he had to go back to Hell, there hasn't really been a whole lot of time for that. Really, this doesent have to be so dramatic between the two of them, they just need to talk, with Chloe being pissed off at Lucifer or Lucifer begging Chloe not to be pissed at him. 

Michael actually manipulating Lucifer to do his Lucifer stuff is kind of interesting, especially as it calls to some readings of the Bible and a lot of stories that are based off of it, that God wanted Lucifer to rebel and that this was all inevitable and part of Gods divine plan, including in the novella by Lucifer comic creator Neil Gaimons called Murder Mystery, where this is implied pretty strongly. 

That fake card was great, and I especially loved Maze and Linda watching Diablo and seeing their on screen counterparts making out. 

"You know Craig?" 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3
On 8/22/2020 at 11:36 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Decent meta episode with all of the "show within a show" aspects.  Loved that the actual title card for this episode was even "Diablo" instead of Lucifer.  And I have a feeling that the big with the A.D. griping about how a hit network has to deal with bullshit from higher-ups about ratings and so forth, was probably some kind of behind the scenes reference to the likely drama that probably happened during this show's time on FOX.  But I called the main actress being the killer early since she was played by a recognizable face.  Also, the A.D. was played by Tessa Auberjonois: daughter of the late, great Rene Auberjonois.

Lucifer and Chloe now have an official reunion, but the show still finds some way to keep the drama and angst going, by having Lucifer admit that, yes, God did create her for Lucifer, so now Chloe is questioning their relationship and her role in life in general.  I don't mind Lucifer and Chloe as a couple, but I just don't care for all of the drama.  Plus, if we're following this universe's logic about God and the celestial stuff, everyone was created to serve some kind of purpose by God.  But that doesn't seem to mean it is set in stone, so I don't see why Chloe has to keep questioning her free-will like this.  We've already had several incidents where someone has defied "his will", and things continue on.

Heh, Lucifer ended up accepting Dan's self-help friendship bracelet and even acted out a Diablo script with him!  Hell really has changed him!

The Linda/Maze scenes were enjoyable and Lesley-Ann Brandt really sold Maze's breakdown over her abandonment issues.

Lucifer and Michael finally cross paths and have an epic fight that leads to Michael getting a nice scar on his face.  But now his plan is to pit Maze against Lucifer (again) by having her discover a torrid secret that Lucifer has apparently kept from her.

Episode ends without revealing the biggest mystery so far: just how long is poor Amenadiel going to be stuck with Hell guarding duty?!  

I thought she would be related to the late, great Odo due to her surname, but when I saw her onscreen, I knew she had to be related because she looks quite a bit like her dad.

Oh, and I'm SO tired of my favorite character on this show - Maze - being the angry, angsty lash-out bitch who allies with the main Big Bad because she just can't deal. (sigh) It's too soon for this re-tread story.  [Although I did love having a reason to see delicious Tom Welling in Season 3. Didn't care for him one bit on Smallville, but yowza - he turned into serious man candy!!!]

I binged a couple episodes, so I can't remember exactly which episode the showdown between Michael and Lucifer was, but I think it was early in the binge and this was the first, so I'm putting this here.

Ellis is doing a very good job of differentiating between Michael and Lucifer.  So much that I am not finding Michael attractive at all, but Lucifer very much so.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Michael walks all weird, like slouchy. You can tell it's him. 

I noticed that at the end of this episode, but didn't see it in the prior one. I would have noticed such a slouch when he was pretending to be Lucifer, but it was so pronounced here that I would think I would have seen it when he was alone, when he told Maze who he was, or Amenadude knew it was him. It's possible that TE decided to add this affectation after that episode. It's also possible that I'm not as observant as I think I am.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Loandbehold said:
15 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Michael walks all weird, like slouchy. You can tell it's him. 

I noticed that at the end of this episode, but didn't see it in the prior one.

To me, he always looks like he's favoring one arm/side, like he was previously injured (then, when he's impersonating Lucifer, he doesn't do it). I'm not familiar with the source material, so I don't know if that's a known thing from the comics, etc.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, tljgator said:

To me, he always looks like he's favoring one arm/side, like he was previously injured (then, when he's impersonating Lucifer, he doesn't do it). I'm not familiar with the source material, so I don't know if that's a known thing from the comics, etc.

I've noticed this also.  So much so that I was beginning to wonder whether Ellis had injured his arm or something in the offseason.  Michael seems to keep his right arm rather immobile even when fighting Luci.

• Love 1
On 8/24/2020 at 12:52 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Is it wrong that I hope they find some way to revive Diablo? It'd be kind of meta if they did bring it back.

It would be a kind of hilarious running joke if Diablo kept getting cancelled and then picked up by other networks and people kept commenting on it, and every time the show has been retooled. 

• Love 5

Did anyone pay attention to the storyboard in the scene where they first interviewed the showrunner? Some of the stuff written for future Diablo episodes was hilarious. I think episode 7 was titled "Insane Clown Pasties"

• LOL 3

As of now, I've only watched the first three episodes so I don't know what's yet to come but they'd better give us more than just a glimpse of Amenadiel attempting to be Hell's warden. That's an arc I want to see. Throughout this episode, I kept thinking, "Take us back to hell!" 😅

Echoing @Peace 47's comments above, I'm pretty ticked off that the writers didn't give us the conversation we deserved between Chloe and Lucifer about Chloe being created just to be placed in Lucifer's path. Lucifer was completely wrecked by that revelation and Chloe should know the full how and why behind it. 

• Love 3
On 8/25/2020 at 12:12 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Is there a Bible reason for that? 

Michael is often portrayed as a soldier in art, opposing a serpent or dragon.  The Book of Revelation mentions a war in heaven with Michael leading God’s armies against Lucifer.   It’s possible his slouch is an injury (it looked like his right wing was crooked too).

• Useful 1

Watched episode 2 & 3 and will have other comments later, but what happened to Chole's bangs? I keep wondering if it was supposed to signify that a lot of time had passed between episode 2 & 3. 

On 8/30/2020 at 11:06 PM, Fireball said:

Watched episode 2 & 3 and will have other comments later, but what happened to Chole's bangs?

I mean, seriously?!?!?!  I kept going back to that all episode.  Is it that we get bangs when Lucifer is in hell and slicked back when he's not?  

• Love 2
On 10/21/2020 at 12:18 PM, VartanFan said:

I mean, seriously?!?!?!  I kept going back to that all episode.  Is it that we get bangs when Lucifer is in hell and slicked back when he's not?  

I'm glad I wasn't the only one distracted by Chole's hair.