Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E09: The Wolves

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

Icy rocks and unpredictable waters force the remaining participants to decide if their desperate need for fat is worth taking dangerous risks; one participant is faced with a deadly predator thread and braces to fight for his life. 

Air date: August 6, 2020

I should be able to tell the two women apart by now but I'm not sure which contestant it was, but when she caught those two fish, it was hard to tell if she was laughing or crying... probably a mix of both.  I was so happy for her.

Edited by patty1h
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

Geeze, the wolf pack around Amos’ shelter was scary! Doesn’t he have a door on his shelter? 😬

Anybody know what kind of accent Roland has? I know he lives in Alaska. Is that an Alaskan accent?

According to the Altoona Mirror (online newspaper) he is originally from Clearfield County Pennsylvania.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Roland really is a cave man.  “Fat is where it’s at”.  Lost 44 pounds already!  Dangerous fishing at danger rock.  Is he going to just leave his net?  Keeping the musk ox herd around so maybe he can pick off one later or having them charge you is smart.

Amos has trouble with the net and ice.  Wolfpack very scary!  He’s going to freeze in that leaky shelter.

Callie weaves a net.  Impressive!  Bitchy fishing spot.  Nasty fall!  She needs to find another spot.  She won’t make it without fish.  Will she survive to ice fish?

Kielyn  “No one should live without chocolate” 🙂   Lost 38 pounds!  Going out on fresh ice like that is so dangerous!  She does claim lots of experience though.  Nice catches!

Weather is only going to get worse.  Maybe they should have started this earlier.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Weather is only going to get worse.  Maybe they should have started this earlier.

Part of the plan is to get them to really bad weather ASAP, thereby decreasing the likelihood that the production company will have to pay out the $1,000,000.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Those wolves scared me to pieces and I was sitting under the covers in my own bed. I was seriously having anxiety.    That would have been it for me, being surrounded by a pack of wolves, knowing  that if they attacked there would be no way to defend myself from multiple angles.  Mad mad mad respect for Amos for not hightailing it outta there.  I really like him.  

I know that all the meat I get in the grocery store was once living but I sure do hate to see anything killed on this show (or any show...I watch nature shows a good bit and always skip the kills).   I'm willing to pay for high priced meats just for the privilege of not having to kill something myself.  And its worth it.  That said....wish they could catch some pigs or something.....get those folks some fat for pete's sake.  I'm thinking birds are pretty fatty so was hoping that grouse helped some but I know nothing about grouse so.....

It seems to me there's been less contemplating the universe type diary entries this season.  I wonder if its because they stay longer so there's not so much air time to fill.  Shame.  That was really my favorite part of this show.  The quiet (a quiet reality show...whoda thunk) introspection that they all eventually get to as they start feeling the isolation.  I know we've had some of that but not as much  as usual (I think).  The couples season is not a favorite.  

Still, I love this show and I am always so excited for it to come on.  I like everyone left pretty much with Callie and Amos being my favorites.  I'm okay with any of them winning.  

• Love 4

I kept wondering what the best strategy would have been for Amos. Should he set off his bear gun and scare the shit out of the wolves, or strike them with his bunny darts like he did the fox. Shouldn't he do something to make them fear him?! 

It's not the same, but one time I got lost while hiking, with no cell cignal. It got cold and dark, I had no supplies or water left, and was in shorts and a tank. I stayed calm the whole 12 hours I kept hiking. When I finally found a road, only then did I freak the fuck out and start crying and rejoicing at the same time, so I understood where Kielyn was coming from. She knew her survival hinged on that fish.  

For those who avoid the aftershow, it was really good for this episode, and I don't feel it gave anything anyway. 

• Love 6
42 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

For those who avoid the aftershow, it was really good for this episode, and I don't feel it gave anything anyway. 

Most clues or potential give-aways usually go right over my head, but I did hear a comment last night that I think was the closest I've come to thinking that the person who said it might have been the winner.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, patty1h said:

I should be able to tell the two women apart by now but I'm not sure which contestant it was, but when she caught those two fish, it was hard to tell if she was laughing or crying... probably a mix of both.  I was so happy for her.

That was Kielyn.  I have never seen anyone so happy to catch a fish in my entire life, that was a great scene.  Callie's the one who busted her face open.

4 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Part of the plan is to get them to really bad weather ASAP, thereby decreasing the likelihood that the production company will have to pay out the $1,000,000.

I don't know how the weather was in the Arctic, but where I live in the midwest we had an exceptionally mild winter.  I wonder if that was true there also?  If so, it might throw a crimp in the History Channel's plans lol.

3 hours ago, Rosieroo said:

Those wolves scared me to pieces and I was sitting under the covers in my own bed. I was seriously having anxiety.    That would have been it for me, being surrounded by a pack of wolves, knowing  that if they attacked there would be no way to defend myself from multiple angles.

I wonder if one reason they didn't attack is because of Amos' shelter.  They could really only attack him head on, through the front door.  From what little I know, wolves like to surround their prey and attack from all sides.  I don't know how often wolves attack humans though, maybe they were just interested in the smoked fish he had laying around.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Amos, while obviously a skilled survivalist, doesn't seem to have the cold weather skills needed for this show.  I wonder that they accepted him.

And yet he's one of the remaining four...I agree his shelter is woefully inadequate but guess it won't matter since it looked like his burning up in previews. I believe Amos will tap next week and one of the woman. I really can't imagine any of them making it another 40+ days. They might as well build an igloo. All the final four participants are really gutsy.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, rmontro said:

That was Kielyn.  I have never seen anyone so happy to catch a fish in my entire life, that was a great scene.  Callie's the one who busted her face open.

I don't know how the weather was in the Arctic, but where I live in the midwest we had an exceptionally mild winter.  I wonder if that was true there also?  If so, it might throw a crimp in the History Channel's plans lol.

I wonder if one reason they didn't attack is because of Amos' shelter.  They could really only attack him head on, through the front door.  From what little I know, wolves like to surround their prey and attack from all sides.  I don't know how often wolves attack humans though, maybe they were just interested in the smoked fish he had laying around.

I believe you're right if he were out in the open (and they wanted to take down a human) he probably would have been attacked. That would be an unimaginably horrific way to go. They don't put their victims out of their misery. You'd pray that you bleed out fast. I heard of a guy who drank tons of tea and peed around his entire camp. Not sure how effective it was.

• Love 1

I would have freaked the hell out if all those wolves surrounded me!  I wonder if they're protected like the foxes.  He couldn't miss with the bow at 3 yards away.

Roland still seems like the winner to me.  I just wonder with the weight loss if he makes it 100 days.

1 hour ago, mlp said:

Kielyn cries every episode, freaks out like a nut case after catching a fish then makes a speech about being a strong woman.  She certainly has skills and she seems like a nice person but I just can't root for her.  

This.  I can't root for her because she's crying constantly. 

16 hours ago, eyelash said:

According to the Altoona Mirror (online newspaper) he is originally from Clearfield County Pennsylvania.  

Holy crap, I wondered if he was from my area when he said the rocks were "slippy." 😄

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I wonder if they are cautioned not to use fire as a predator scare tactic in case of it getting out of control?  Most animals have a natural fear of fire and I think maybe Amos could try  carrying a torch made of a tree limb and boughs outside with him when those wolves are around, especially at night.  Maybe repetition of that might scare them off a bit further.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

This show makes me so emotional. Tears were rolling down my face when Kielyn or Callie? caught those fish.  I just got caught up in her joy.  I don't think this makes her a lesser winner because she is emotional over a victory. 

I have a hard time liking the competitors who start and then quit because they miss their families after 30 days  As a military wife, I am reminded of the deployed soldiers who miss their families daily and are often in imminent danger. Years ago, those soldiers might remain in a remote outpost for over a year (thinking WWI and II, Vietnam or Korea here)--no Skype, infrequent mail, and brutal conditions.  

• Love 7
59 minutes ago, madmax said:

Holy crap, I wondered if he was from my area when he said the rocks were "slippy." 😄

Western Pennsylvania is the only place I have ever heard it spoken that way.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, azprimadonna said:

Years ago, those soldiers might remain in a remote outpost for over a year (thinking WWI and II, Vietnam or Korea here)--no Skype, infrequent mail, and brutal conditions.  

Thank you.  I'm a Vietnam veteran's wife.  He left when our son was 3 months old and returned a year later.  He could not have chosen to "tap out" and come home because he missed us.  Two phone calls in a year, although we were both daily letter writers and he was stationed in Saigon, so the mail service was not too bad.

ETA:  Oh . . . and there was no million dollar prize at the end.  Coming home was the big prize, and it was worth more than a million to us.

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 12

Seeing the wolf pack surround Amos' hut was incredibly scary, but a little earlier, when he heard the wolf howls?  God, those howls made a shiver run down my spine.  It must be built into human DNA. 

In addition to bear spray, don't they have a bear horn?  I would think that a loud sound like that would scare the wolves away, for a time at least. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, madmax said:

Roland still seems like the winner to me.  I just wonder with the weight loss if he makes it 100 days.

Yeah, he could get pulled for medical reasons.  He seems pretty comfortable out in the wilderness alone so it's hard to believe he would tap because he was lonely.  He doesn't seem like the most gregarious type.  Besides, he has himself to talk to.

Kielyn's crying doesn't bother me.  I don't like hearing it, but she gets it out and then goes back to work.  She vents.  She bends but hasn't broken, at least so far. 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, rmontro said:

Kielyn's crying doesn't bother me.  I don't like hearing it, but she gets it out and then goes back to work.  She vents.  She bends but hasn't broken, at least so far. 

Yup. Most people probably would cry from frustration at different times and afterwards she’s off to get stuff done and does very well. Her fishing dance made my day, she was just so happy. 

“I’m not here for a spiritual journey, I just want the money.” Cheers for being honest. I get tired of the ones that wax poetically about their spiritual whatever and then tap out when they decide they’ve gotten what they came for. Then usually we find out later they were starving and tapped because they couldn’t get food. 

Amos was lucky he could hide in his hut. When wolves stalk and surround you, you’re on the menu and it’s going to be a scary, painful death. I was concerned he might have to tap for safety.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, rmontro said:

5 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

Yup. Most people probably would cry from frustration at different times and afterwards she’s off to get stuff done and does very well. Her fishing dance made my day, she was just so happy. 

I'm with both of you.  I almost squealed that way when my power came back on after Tropical storm Isaias, and I'm not prone to such outbursts either.  I've had a rough life lately so it's made me more able to empathize with anyone in a life or death situation that is so worried about their survival that just catching a fish is cause for that much of an outburst.  

• Love 5
11 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Thank you.  I'm a Vietnam veteran's wife.  He left when our son was 3 months old and returned a year later.  He could not have chosen to "tap out" and come home because he missed us.  Two phone calls in a year, although we were both daily letter writers and he was stationed in Saigon, so the mail service was not too bad.

ETA:  Oh . . . and there was no million dollar prize at the end.  Coming home was the big prize, and it was worth more than a million to us.

I know I've posted about this before, but I agree.  My father was in the Army Reserve when I was little and back then he had to go to an army base for full time summer duty for a month every year (I think it's two weeks now).  There were no cell phones yet, so we rarely heard from him.  He was at "summer camp" when my mother was pregnant with me and didn't make it to my birth because he was all the way out in New Jersey and I decided to come early.  That's duty to country for you.  My mother and I never questioned it.  Both my parents were WWII veterans.  So count me as one of those that's not so sympathetic to those Alone participants that tap out after only a few weeks because they miss their family.

• Love 6

I have to forward through the previews, way too much is revealed for my liking. It’s easy to recognize that it’s Callie who ends up with a bloody eyebrow from the first flash in episode 1

Spoiler

and later gets frostbite in her toe

That pack of wolves surrounding Amos was intense . And a whole herd of musk ox! I think this is the best season yet.

Amos is enduring but I hope the cold doesn’t get to him. I feel like his shelter could definitely use more work. I hope Roland is able to find a less dangerous fishing spot. I’m surprised Kielyn has hung around this long. She’s annoying but good on her for catching some fish.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

“I’m not here for a spiritual journey, I just want the money.” Cheers for being honest. I get tired of the ones that wax poetically about their spiritual whatever and then tap out when they decide they’ve gotten what they came for. Then usually we find out later they were starving and tapped because they couldn’t get food. 

Or they'll say "I'm never going to quit, I keep thinking how much good that money could do for my family, it would mean everything to us, I have to win".  Then one day they get up and they're all "I have achieved full zen enlightment, I have become one with nature and am now at true peace.  I know now that there is no further reason for me to be here and I can go home to my family".  Then they get home and everybody's like "Where's the money?".

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, rmontro said:

Or they'll say "I'm never going to quit, I keep thinking how much good that money could do for my family, it would mean everything to us, I have to win".  Then one day they get up and they're all "I have achieved full zen enlightment, I have become one with nature and am now at true peace.  I know now that there is no further reason for me to be here and I can go home to my family".  Then they get home and everybody's like "Where's the money?".

I must be a real controlling woman.  If my husband (and father of our young children) had told me he wanted to take part in a TV show, requiring him to be gone for over 3 months, because he wanted to "find himself," I'd walk him over to the closest mirror and say, "You can stay home.  There you are."

But if he told me that he'd be there earning $1,000,000 . . . well, let's just say that there had BETTER be $1,000,000 in his pocket when he walked back through the door.

I love this show for people who don't have young children at home.  I don't think unnecessary months away from a child during their developmental years is ever a good idea.  Kids don't care much about the things that $1,000,000 can buy.  They need food, clothes and stability.  A parent's responsibility is to provide the basics.  The parent needed to "find themselves" before they found a spouse and had kids.

JMO.  YMMV.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

This.  I can't root for her because she's crying constantly. 

She gets emotional, she cries but then puts herself together with new resolve and as a result six other non-crybabies tapped out and she is in the final four. I don't think anyone is going to stay the 100 days. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, DrewPaul2010 said:

his.  I can't root for her because she's crying constantly. 

I think she is not so happy with the crying edit she is getting. 2 times on the aftershow she has tried to explain/talk down her crying.  Maybe she shouldn't haven't filmed herself crying so much,of course the producers are going to use that.

On that note now that she caught those 2 big fish I am on her team, also because I am from Ontario ! and...

On 8/7/2020 at 8:59 PM, PaperTree said:

Western Pennsylvania is the only place I have ever heard it spoken that way.

....seems to me I say slippy too, I think in Canada there are areas that  say slippy (I grew up in Northern Alberta and live in Ontario now)

• Love 4
17 hours ago, DrewPaul2010 said:

She gets emotional, she cries but then puts herself together with new resolve and as a result six other non-crybabies tapped out and she is in the final four. I don't think anyone is going to stay the 100 days. 

Yeah, I can't believe the criticism she's getting for the crying.  Me and my fancy degree in Psychology thinks her reaction is far more healthy and cathartic than those people who always put on a tough facade but show themselves to wimp out in the end.  She's made of tougher stuff than she looks and I really respect that.

• Love 11
On 8/7/2020 at 11:59 AM, PaperTree said:

Kielyn  “No one should live without chocolate”

No truer words were ever spoken!!

On 8/7/2020 at 11:59 AM, PaperTree said:

Roland really is a cave man.  “Fat is where it’s at”. 

He's really interesting to listen to as far as survival skills go.  It may be gross to hear about the blood, guts and eyeballs of an animal, but he really knows how to get everything out of a kill that he can.   Also, I appreciate his appreciation of the pioneers and what it took for them to survive.   Those were some tough people to survive like they did.  

• Love 11

Roland grosses me out every episode to no end. I have to watch between my fingers when he comes on. I am glad I had already eaten before watching. But I agree, props for him using every bit of the animal. 

This blooming idiot would want to pet the wolves. "HERE DOGGY DOGGY!" I know they must be super dangerous, especially a pack, but all I could think of was "Oooh...pretty" while looking at them. 

And as others have stated, here are the two ladies pulling through to the end! Callie busting her face and smiling. Kielyn getting her feelings out and moving on and dancing a jig over her trout. 

Since we're 9 episodes in and down to 4 participants and barely halfway through the challenge, methinks we'll be wrapping up soon. I can't see them going another 50 days with the snow/ice just really kicking in and with barely enough fish and meat.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, snarkish said:

Since we're 9 episodes in and down to 4 participants and barely halfway through the challenge, methinks we'll be wrapping up soon. I can't see them going another 50 days with the snow/ice just really kicking in and with barely enough fish and meat.

There are only two more episodes.  Just double-checked on IMDB, and the confirm this.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 8/7/2020 at 8:58 PM, azprimadonna said:

This show makes me so emotional. Tears were rolling down my face when Kielyn or Callie? caught those fish.  I just got caught up in her joy.  I don't think this makes her a lesser winner because she is emotional over a victory. 

I have a hard time liking the competitors who start and then quit because they miss their families after 30 days  As a military wife, I am reminded of the deployed soldiers who miss their families daily and are often in imminent danger. Years ago, those soldiers might remain in a remote outpost for over a year (thinking WWI and II, Vietnam or Korea here)--no Skype, infrequent mail, and brutal conditions.  

On 8/7/2020 at 9:03 PM, AZChristian said:

On 8/8/2020 at 8:33 AM, Yeah No said:

I know I've posted about this before, but I agree.  My father was in the Army Reserve when I was little and back then he had to go to an army base for full time summer duty for a month every year (I think it's two weeks now).  There were no cell phones yet, so we rarely heard from him.  He was at "summer camp" when my mother was pregnant with me and didn't make it to my birth because he was all the way out in New Jersey and I decided to come early.  That's duty to country for you.  My mother and I never questioned it.  Both my parents were WWII veterans.  So count me as one of those that's not so sympathetic to those Alone participants that tap out after only a few weeks because they miss their family.

On 8/8/2020 at 1:42 PM, rmontro said:

First, I want to thank all your families for the service and sacrifice you have provided for our country.

Though it is not the same, my husband's job often takes him away from traveling. This job was unexpected and I never thought I would live this life. It was not uncommon for my husband to be away three weeks out of the month, while I was at home raising two small children and holding down a full time job.

It annoys me when people act smug about "all of a sudden needing to return to their families and how that is more important than money" attitude. Just say you have failed and you are going back empty handed.

It is further annoying (though not necessarily this cast) when the people go back and spend bupkus time with their families, because they got used to the peace and quiet of being "Alone".

If Roland wins he deserves that million dollars more than any reality show contestant before him. He is really in his element and probably an honest to goodness survival man.

I actually like the final four but Roland probably has the Vegas odds.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, qtpye said:

I actually like the final four but Roland probably has the Vegas odds.

Perhaps, but I'm thinking Kielyn is a strong contender now also.  If she can really get ten days out of a fish like she says.  I also wonder if we're not getting swerved by her crying scenes that they're showing us.  By the previews, it looks like another is coming next week.

The danger with Roland is if he can't get more fish/fat, but once the lake ices over more he might be able to.  There's also the possibility of him getting another musk ox, which would be crazy.  Maybe a fattier one this time.  I wonder if there are hunting restrictions on how many you can take, wouldn't surprise me.

Another thing about coming home without the money is it just means you were away from your family for two months in vain.  All you get is 15 minutes of fame and whatever salary they give you, which I'm guessing isn't much.

Edited by rmontro
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

Perhaps, but I'm thinking Kielyn is a strong contender now also.  If she can really get ten days out of a fish like she says. 

I think that any of the remaining four could go the distance if they have enough food, and barring injury.   They all seem to have the physical and mental stamina to go the 100 days.   It will be a shame if medical  has to pull any one of them due to malnutrition/losing too much weight like they did with Carleigh a few seasons ago.  I'm still bummed about that because she had the fortitude to go the distance.  With this season, I don't know how anybody can survive those harsh conditions, so my hat is off to them all for what they've accomplished so far.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, rmontro said:

Perhaps, but I'm thinking Kielyn is a strong contender now also.  If she can really get ten days out of a fish like she says.  I also wonder if we're not getting swerved by her crying scenes that they're showing us.  By the previews, it looks like another is coming next week.

The danger with Roland is if he can't get more fish/fat, but once the lake ices over more he might be able to.  There's also the possibility of him getting another musk ox, which would be crazy.  Maybe a fattier one this time.  I wonder if there are hunting restrictions on how many you can take, wouldn't surprise me.

Another thing about coming home without the money is it just means you were away from your family for two months in vain.  All you get is 15 minutes of fame and whatever salary they give you, which I'm guessing isn't much.

I wonder if the real prize is having a large social media following as an expert outdoors man/outdoors woman survivalist?

I know that at one you tuber claimed to be making at 133k subscribers (this is a regular you tuber, not someone that has been on the show) 15k per month before taxes, for basically 10 hours of work a week editing videos.

Since many of these people lead a pretty low cost lifestyle, this type of money could go a long way. This is just speculation on my part, as I am not a social media person and have no idea if being on this show is enough to profit from that sort of thing,

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

I wonder if the real prize is having a large social media following as an expert outdoors man/outdoors woman survivalist?

I know that at one you tuber claimed to be making at 133k subscribers (this is a regular you tuber, not someone that has been on the show) 15k per month before taxes, for basically 10 hours of work a week editing videos.

Good point.  I'm also aware of other YouTube "content creators" with a similar amount of subscribers who support themselves solely on their videos.  I don't know what the actual amounts are, but if your numbers are right that's $180,000 a year.  People should be able to get by on that even without living a low cost lifestyle, but you're right, a lot of these Alone contestants appear to live pretty frugally.

I find the idea kind of fascinating, this is a "job" that a lot of young people would like to get into, or are into it.  Of course, they end up at the mercy of YouTube's policies, and I've heard a lot of complaints about that.  So I don't know how stable or secure it would be as a career.  I understand why it would be appealing though.    

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Good point.  I'm also aware of other YouTube "content creators" with a similar amount of subscribers who support themselves solely on their videos.  I don't know what the actual amounts are, but if your numbers are right that's $180,000 a year.  People should be able to get by on that even without living a low cost lifestyle, but you're right, a lot of these Alone contestants appear to live pretty frugally.

I find the idea kind of fascinating, this is a "job" that a lot of young people would like to get into, or are into it.  Of course, they end up at the mercy of YouTube's policies, and I've heard a lot of complaints about that.  So I don't know how stable or secure it would be as a career.  I understand why it would be appealing though.    

I find it fascinating as well, because social media influencer just was not a job option when I was growing up. Of course, I think only 9 percent of you tubers reach the 100k thresh hold and you have to be a pretty self motivated individual.

Anyway, since many of them have survival type businesses,  being on this show might at least help with that.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

I find it fascinating as well, because social media influencer just was not a job option when I was growing up. Of course, I think only 9 percent of you tubers reach the 100k thresh hold and you have to be a pretty self motivated individual.

Same here.  It's a new way of becoming a celebrity of sorts, a low level of fame, but fame nonetheless.

Really, 9 percent is a lot if all those people are making enough money to live on.  I imagine most of those people are vlogging about things they are passionate about, so it's probably pretty painless.  

• Love 1
On 8/7/2020 at 1:59 PM, PaperTree said:

Kielyn  “No one should live without chocolate” 🙂   Lost 38 pounds!  Going out on fresh ice like that is so dangerous!  She does claim lots of experience though.  Nice catches!

She was my favourite in this episode. "I'm going to start a business. Kielyn's Chocolates. With bunny eyeballs and ptarmigan toes. I don't think anyone would buy those."😁😁

I loved her antics on the ice, dancing around with the flapping fish, giggling hysterically. "Best day of my life after my wedding day." 😁

Lots of men on this show have gotten emotional and cried, so her crying doesn't bother me. It doesn't appear to affect her ability to keep functioning and keep being strong and resourceful. 

On 8/7/2020 at 1:58 AM, LittleIggy said:

Geeze, the wolf pack around Amos’ shelter was scary! Doesn’t he have a door on his shelter? 😬

Is he allowed to shoot them with his bow? In self defense at least? He seems to have nerves of steel. 

Between Callie's "blood eyeshadow" and Roland insisted on showing us every detail of carving up the musk ox's face, l spent half the show looking at the ceiling. Oh, also when people were walking on icy rocks next to freezing water. The episode was like a Greatest Hits of my phobias (except no one was flying). 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, qtpye said:

I follow Carleigh Fairchild on Instagram and she seems to have parlayed her experience into hosting wilderness survival seminars and the like.  She has handmade baskets she sells on Etsy, and she has a signature knife she sells too.  I have no clue as to how much money this brings in for her, but she looks happy in her pictures and seems to be living life on her own terms.   I'm sure several other past contestants do the same thing in terms of teaching survival skills.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

I'm sure several other past contestants do the same thing in terms of teaching survival skills.  

Yes, I looked up a past contestant who lives in my home town and he seems to have a thriving survival business. But I noted there's no mention of Alone on his site, no doubt because he tapped out so fast 😁

14 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I think that any of the remaining four could go the distance if they have enough food, and barring injury.   They all seem to have the physical and mental stamina to go the 100 days. 

I would agree with this, although finding enough fat seems to be a big issue for everyone but Kielyn. They all seem quite fearless and resilient. 

• Love 1
On 8/9/2020 at 3:53 PM, ChitChat said:

I think that any of the remaining four could go the distance if they have enough food, and barring injury.   They all seem to have the physical and mental stamina to go the 100 days.   It will be a shame if medical  has to pull any one of them due to malnutrition/losing too much weight like they did with Carleigh a few seasons ago.  I'm still bummed about that because she had the fortitude to go the distance.  With this season, I don't know how anybody can survive those harsh conditions, so my hat is off to them all for what they've accomplished so far.  

Its only Halloween it is going to get so incredibly cold over the next 50 days. They will be down to minimal daylight toward the end if they make it that far. The last person standing should get the usual 500,000.00

• Love 2
22 hours ago, rmontro said:

I would enjoy a tenderfoot survivalist camp for the over 50 to attend classes on various survival skills such as fire starting, making snares, making crude shelters all while having great food and accommodations...

• Love 1
On 8/9/2020 at 10:36 AM, snarkish said:

Roland grosses me out every episode to no end. I have to watch between my fingers when he comes on. I am glad I had already eaten before watching. 

Oh yeah, watching, or rather, NOT watching, diverting my eyes, Roland with that musk ox head almost made me think seriously about becoming a vegetarian. That was horrific!

• Love 3

I am impressed with Roland's head to tail approach to eating the musk ox. He is not wasting any part of the animal. There are a bunch of different foods that are made from the ears, nose, lips, brain and eyes of an animal. I don't eat them because, well, I think they are gross. Part of that is where I was raised and what I was raised on. There are plenty of places where those are considered delicacies. Blood sausage anyone? 

I get that it is not what most of us would do and that it seems to be gross, but he is not wasting any part of the animal that he killed. That is something I can respect. Kind of like the fish head soup we have seen other contestants make.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

I am impressed with Roland's head to tail approach to eating the musk ox. He is not wasting any part of the animal. There are a bunch of different foods that are made from the ears, nose, lips, brain and eyes of an animal. I don't eat them because, well, I think they are gross. Part of that is where I was raised and what I was raised on. There are plenty of places where those are considered delicacies. Blood sausage anyone? 

I get that it is not what most of us would do and that it seems to be gross, but he is not wasting any part of the animal that he killed. That is something I can respect. Kind of like the fish head soup we have seen other contestants make.

Oh I agree fully that  is a good thing Roland utilized every single part of that musk ox. Just seeing him handling that mutilated head tho, made me think of every/any animal ever killed for food. It didn't seem to be gross. It was gross, and I am thankful I've never had to do it to survive.

Gave me a new understanding of the mindset of vegetarians, vegans, tho no vegetarian could survive in that environment. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, SassyCat said:

Gave me a new understanding of the mindset of vegetarians, vegans, tho no vegetarian could survive in that environment. 

It always surprises me when vegetarians/vegans make it 21 days on Naked & Afraid.  Now 100 days?  I don't think so.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, rmontro said:

Maybe if they planted crops and were good at canning?

Canning equipment would take up almost all their 10 gear spots. And I am not sure that they can grow enough veggies with enough fat to live in the Arctic even at the beginning of the winter. None of the contestants seem to be lacking protein this season, fat is the big decider. What fatty veggies and fruit can you grow in the Arctic in any type of abundance?

• Love 1