Type keyword(s) to search

RHONJ Ratings Dump: A sign of things to come?

• Start Topic

The season opener has lost 1/4 of its viewership, so far.  Too many newbies at once?  No fun watching criminals being paid excessive income?  Do more fans miss the Manzo-Laurita clan than Bravo assumed?  Dina's zen schtick already worn off on the audience?  I'm in favor of an "all of the above" option.

• Love 12

The season opener has lost 1/4 of its viewership, so far.  Too many newbies at once?  No fun watching criminals being paid excessive income?  Do more fans miss the Manzo-Laurita clan than Bravo assumed?  Dina's zen schtick already worn off on the audience?  I'm in favor of an "all of the above" option.

Probably all of the above. I am tuning in because I want to watch the final downfall of these two criminals and that is just that. 

For me this show has always been interesting because of the shared history of the cast. Even when I didn't like someone, I liked not liking them, if that makes any sense. Even when they were not worthy of being liked, I got why folks were upset, or hurt, or angry in this group. They were all so vested in each other. Now, we have these newbies that I don't give a frogs fat ass about.  We need Jac, Caroline, Kathy and their whole crew to see this whole drama come to a close. 

• Love 6

I know why I've bowed out. Last season was a toxic stew that turned me irrevocably off this franchise plus my aggressive dislike of Dina and the Giudices.

• Love 6

I agree motorcitymom. What was great about this cast was that they actually all did know each other, either because they were relatives or because of their close friendships. Unlike the other hw shows, I believed that these people would have dinner together, go on group vacations, support each other's events, celebrate milestones, etc, even if there were no show. And while there still was some of the fabricated, producer shannigans shite that we've come to expect from bravo, knowing that the feels were very real as well as deep, and seeing them try to struggle through that because of their ties did sometimes make for compelling tv viewing.

• Love 6
(edited)

Betrayal. Many viewers feel betrayed by the Guidices. Many who watched were fans of Teresa, rooted for her when the Caro-Jac-Gorga pile on against Tre was happening and believed she was basically a good person (though quite naive and stupid). Then we find out they're criminals. I didn't start watching until season 3 with the Christening so I was backing Tre because the first I saw of Teresa and the Gorgas was them screaming at her and being hateful. There was also Kathy and Mel throwing digs at her, Caro screaming at her, etc., so I was rooting for Tre who I saw as the underdog being picked on by a bunch of jealous shrews (that part I still think is true - they were all jealous of her success). When I heard they were bankrupt I thought, well, a lot of people in construction have been losing their businesses and claiming bankruptcy. I've personally known some and their business is set up separate from their personal assets so they could keep their houses. Shit happens in business, esp in this crappy economy. It sucks for those who are owed money but in a LEGIT business failing it happens. Then the real story of their shenanigans, credit card debt that had nothing to do with the construction business, failure to pay taxes, etc came out and those who liked her feel duped.

From what I've seen I don't like the new women but for me it's better that bitter hateful Caroline and her leech spawn, drunk mentally disturbed Jac, and stealth bitch pathetic Kathy and her gross-ass husband. I would not be watching if they were still on.

Teresa and Joe should not be on this show.  They're criminals.

If Bravo removed all the criminals from the HW franchises they wouldn't have a cast.

Edited by happykitteh
  • Love 11

I don't think there's anything specific to NJ that can be cited as a reasons for the ratings drop because I think people are just getting tired of the format coming down from the high that was Atlanta. 

We've got Housewives and Basketball Wives and Little Women and so on- all of which rely on the same basic formula (stick a few women together and watch them fight).  They all have similar personality types, and with the Housewives specifically it's become extremely formulaic (one throws a fake event, then another, then another, then vacation, then season-ending event).  The women are also...self-aware, I guess you could say, and have more to lose so they're hiding the best bits- we learn about it in tabloids and whatnot.  

After awhile it doesn't really matter if it's Teresa or Nene or Ramona or Brandi or Stereotypical Italian Woman #7 who's name we don't know yet, 'cause they're all doing the same thing.

• Love 3

I stopped watching mid-last season because I don't enjoy seeing families fight or the fallout on the kids. I was so disgusted last season. This is the first RH franchise I gave up on (aside from Miami, which I never watched).

• Love 3

I stopped watching mid-last season because I don't enjoy seeing families fight or the fallout on the kids. I was so disgusted last season. This is the first RH franchise I gave up on (aside from Miami, which I never watched).

Exactly when I stopped watching and for the same reason.  In addition, Richie's mouth disgusted me.  I just couldn't stand to hear him any more.  I do not miss the Manzos or Lauritas, and thought a newer cast would help (I can take or leave Dina, to me she's just there).    But the preview, and the premiere failed to impress. I may or may not stay with it - once I stop watching something, I find I don't miss it. 

What I think is funny is that Richie Wakile is re-tweeting any tweets he gets about the loss in veiwership - like he's the reason. 

• Love 2
(edited)

When RHNJ first started, I didn't think I would like it, but I loved it, even with the Danielle drama. The women were OTT, tacky, blinged out, it was oh so Jersey. I enjoyed that most of the cast members were related or knew each other before the show. I loved the season that ran over the Christmas holidays, because that actually added another layer of blingy tacky. That's why I watch. 

Then it was all about the drama. And they fight like family, which is nasty and no one wants to watch that. Please return to the blingy big-haired Jersey I want to see. 

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 3

I'm probably gonna skip this entire season but if this show is on NEXT season I will watch the parts that are filmed RE:  Guidice's legal woes and FF through the rest of the show.  This franchise is dipping so low I am wondering if they're even going to have a next season.

I think one of the problems is that it comes on at 7:00 PM Central.  I never record anything, and that's too early to be inside on summer evenings for a lot of people.  I also think three nights of Housewives in a row is too much.  Maybe over showing the extended Sneak Peaks is hurting the ratings .  It seemed like it was on every time I tuned in to Bravo.  I'd have rather seen the new HWs for the first time on the premiere.

I stopped watching last year for the same reason, particularly what I felt was Jacqueline exploiting her autistic son for a story line. Putting any child on reality television is bad parenting and I don't want to be part of the exploitation.     

• Love 3

I think if the format was the problem, all of the HWs shows would be in trouble.  OC is fine and had a bit of a ratings bump the same week NJ fell hard.  NYC has been steadily declining, but no show has posted the huge ratings dump that NJ has posted.  A quarter of the audience tuning out is unprecedented. Ratings didn't drop like this at the height of the in-family fighting, last season.  I agree with those who've said that the Giudices' criminal activity, along with the sense of betrayal has really hurt this show.  

Bravo sold the audience a lie about who the Giudices were and I have to wonder if fans aren't thinking that Bravo was somehow complicit in pushing that lie. Bravo, as partners to the couple, even brought them back and allowed them to use their children (for sympathy?)  Surely filming the show gave off huge red flags about how the Giudices were really living.  I don't believe Dina was ever a draw to the show. The new wives make me want to tear my hair out at the sound of their voices.  I'm happy to read about the show from now on.

I would be shocked if Bravo didn't edit in more Kathy, Jacqueline, Caroline scenes to try to get some fans to tune back in. I don't think those women kept the rating high on their own.  I agree with those who've said that this show was set apart from the others because the relationships were real. Those three felt more real to me than anything NJ offers now.  I thought NJ was more of an ensemble than the other HW franchises as well. Teresa saw herself, I think, as the breakout, but I never thought she could run a show as the lead.  For me she's far too unlikable.

• Love 4

I think one of the problems is that it comes on at 7:00 PM Central.  I never record anything, and that's too early to be inside on summer evenings for a lot of people.  I also think three nights of Housewives in a row is too much.  Maybe over showing the extended Sneak Peaks is hurting the ratings .  It seemed like it was on every time I tuned in to Bravo.  I'd have rather seen the new HWs for the first time on the premiere.

I don't like the time it is on, but the NJ show has always been on at this time, so I don't think that is the problem. We have also always had the NJ, OC and NY show running during the same weeks for the first few episodes until NY shuts down, and then the OC.  As far as I can see, all the main elements as far as time and competition are the same. I think the problem is the cast and the legal issues. I always use to laugh when folks would scream to get rid of pretty much everyone except for Teresa, somehow thinking that Teresa and her family were interesting enough to fill  an entire 43 minutes each week. Sorry but they are not, with or without the legal issues. This show was interesting because of the dynamics at play between all of the characters. You could love them or hate them, but you were interested enough in each to see what they had to say.  Since I cannot even tell the 3 new gals apart, I find it hard to believe I will actually give a frogs fat ass what they have to say. 

• Love 4

ICAM, Motorcitymom, including your earlier point about HWs that were maybe unlikable, but still watchable.  Danielle was that for me, in the beginning.  I didn't hate her, but did dislike her more than I can say that I liked her.  I couldn't understand why no one, who cared for her that is, told her to stop being so creepy. Her relationship with her girls felt real and made her redeemable, for me.  All in my opinion, not a statement of fact, but: Dina always seemed to be use Lexi as evidence she as a great person, in my book.  Caroline was too controlling.  Teresa's girls were props and she was pushing too hard to turn them into "moneymakers".Jacqueline and Ashley's relationship was just terrible.   Overall the various dynamics made the entire crew interesting to watch, for me.  I can't see Teresa carrying a commercial, much less an entire show.

• Love 4
(edited)

I believe Bravo relies too much on social media for their feedback.  RHONYC has been in the dumps ratings wise and Bravo talks about them trending on Twitter. Fiddling while Rome burns. Bravo use to allow comments on the RH blogs-no longer.  Apparently you can go to their Facebook page and leave a comment.  For a company that prides itself on social media it sure employs a great deal of censorship.

Whoever, at Bravo and Sirens, took the reported $700,000.00 gamble with Teresa returning this season should be fired.  Teresa lied throughout the Season 2 filming (or failed to disclose) they had filed bankruptcy.  Season 3 she caused a ruckus in Punta Canta and Bravo/Sirens had to pay big dollars-one of the reason I think Caroline was such a bitch in Season 4, since she Albert, their sons and Greg Bennett were all sued, over something Teresa started.  Instead they chose to portray Teresa as the one who was being ganged up on.  About the smartest thing they did was bring on Teresa's family-there was an initial story arc.  Because of her stubbornness and inability to accept the fact they were aboard there was three season round and round of Teresa's family fighting.

The return of Dina, to me, is just further proof that Bravo listens to select social media and kowtows to Andy's favorites in the clubhouse.  It already sounds like Amber and the twins have parting of the ways so perhaps there is a new queen of mean on the horizon.  Since I always thought Teresa was an ill-mannered, vile and insipid woman the only thing I hoped for in watching the show is every time she was humiliated.  As to Amber -I have the same vibe from her as I did Teresa-someone who reeks of desperation.  

Edited by zoeysmom
  • Love 4

I believe that folks at Bravo will be looking very closely at the ratings tonight with Kathy and Rosie making an appearance. The ratings dump last week was huge, especially considering how much media the premiere garnered because of Tre's legal issues and the new cast. Since the premier was pretty much a snooze fest, it would be hard for me to imagine ratings would have improved on their own based on what we saw last week. I bet that if they increase this week, they do some last minute editing to include more Kathy and Rosie scenes that might have originally ended up on the editing room floor. No way we will see Caroline and Jac - they have both moved on to Caroline's new show.

• Love 1
(edited)

I guess you missed her Fabellini commercial.

DId anyone else catch the scene with the twins mixing up thier "special recipe" peach Bellinis and talking about how wonderful they tasted? That made me wonder if they're already angling to get a product deal, al la Fabellini.

Edited by happykitteh
  • Love 1

I'm still calling bullshit that Teresa makes $700k/yr (could be wrong of course). I've said before these ladies love to exaggerate (see fake eyelashes). It's a cable show with about 2-3M viewers (not exactly Jersey Shore with 7M and a high % of the most valuable viewers re age). Too bad it didn't go to trial cause maybe then we'd find out exactly what her salary really is.

I'm curious though who pays their salaries. Is it Sirens Media or Bravo?

• Love 1

I believe that folks at Bravo will be looking very closely at the ratings tonight with Kathy and Rosie making an appearance. The ratings dump last week was huge, especially considering how much media the premiere garnered because of Tre's legal issues and the new cast. Since the premier was pretty much a snooze fest, it would be hard for me to imagine ratings would have improved on their own based on what we saw last week. I bet that if they increase this week, they do some last minute editing to include more Kathy and Rosie scenes that might have originally ended up on the editing room floor. No way we will see Caroline and Jac - they have both moved on to Caroline's new show.

Apparently, Bravo switched tonight's WWHL guests from Teresa to Kathy and Rosie.  I kind of liked Kathy and Rosie can have some funny moments but they can't carry the show.  If their appearance is all about "being family" now that the Giudices are under indictment I think it would be an unfortunate use of air time.  The only thing that would make the Giudice legal situation an on-going storyline is if people were saying things not supportive of Teresa and Joe.  This rally around Teresa and Joe is low brow.  One of the reasons people are law abiding is to prevent public shame and humiliation.  This whole storyline rings false.   http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2014/07/teresa-giudice-wwhl-canceled/

• Love 2
(edited)

Apparently, Bravo switched tonight's WWHL guests from Teresa to Kathy and Rosie.  I kind of liked Kathy and Rosie can have some funny moments but they can't carry the show.  If their appearance is all about "being family" now that the Giudices are under indictment I think it would be an unfortunate use of air time.  The only thing that would make the Giudice legal situation an on-going storyline is if people were saying things not supportive of Teresa and Joe.  This rally around Teresa and Joe is low brow.  One of the reasons people are law abiding is to prevent public shame and humiliation.  This whole storyline rings false.   http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2014/07/teresa-giudice-wwhl-canceled/

I heard Teresa got replaced with Kathy and Rosie and I think it is beyond awesome. Anything that pisses Teresa off right now completely rocks the casbah IMO.  With her off the charts level of jealousy towards Kathy, no way she would not be livid about this.  My understanding is that Teresa threw a fit about the comments Andy made on WWHL last week and so they bumped from the show tonight. I didn't understand what there was to be upset about. Does she really expect that no one will be talking about this in any manner? She should feel grateful that she is still earning a paycheck at all.  Reminds me of why I hate Teresa in the first place. She didn't want anyone talking about her issues in S3, denying that there even were any issues, even while telling the tabloids something different to garner sympathy and play the victim. Now that everyone knows the truth, she still wants to control the narrative. 

Andy might not control the HW world anymore, but he still controls WWHL.  He is sending a total "fuck-you" to Teresa. She would get much better ratings on WWHL than Rosie and Kathy will. Clearly they don't care and would rather send her a message than placate her.

Edited by Lisin
  • Love 2
(edited)

I heard Teresa got replaced with Kathy and Rosie and I think it is beyond awesome. Anything that pisses Teresa off right now completely rocks the casbah IMO.  With her off the charts level of jealousy towards Kathy, no way she would not be livid about this.  My understanding is that Teresa threw a fit about the comments Andy made on WWHL last week and so they bumped from the show tonight. I didn't understand what there was to be upset about. Does she really expect that no one will be talking about this in any manner? She should feel grateful that she is still earning a paycheck at all.  Reminds me of why I hate Teresa in the first place. She didn't want anyone talking about her issues in S3, denying that there even were any issues, even while telling the tabloids something different to garner sympathy and play the victim. Now that everyone knows the truth, she still wants to control the narrative. 

Andy might not control the HW world anymore, but he still controls WWHL.  He is sending a total "fuck-you" to Teresa. She would get much better ratings on WWHL than Rosie and Kathy will. Clearly they don't care and would rather send her a message than placate her.

I actually thought the Andy, Kelly Ripa and Anderson Cooper discussion was fairly intelligent about Teresa's plight.  A caller asked if it was appropriate/exploitive of Bravo to use Teresa and Joe's legal woes as a storyline.  Andy essentially said they had followed her for five years and this is the natural progression ( I am paraphrasing).  Quite honestly it would not surprise me if after Teresa's public appearances on shows such as The View, Bravo decided that her answers are so non-responsive and she has little else going on that her appearance would just be a another in long line of less than mediocre appearances.  Teresa has essentially two things to talk about-her father-in-law's sudden passing and her court case.  With the exception of Melissa last season's cast is gone and I highly doubt Teresa wants to draw any attention to Melissa. 

When I saw the scene of her laying on her back praying I thought -you better be thanking someone at Bravo paycheck.

Any idea why certain words are coming up in orange, capitalized and underlined? 

Edited by zoeysmom
  • Love 4

I don't think the cancellation has anything to do with whatever Andy said last week on WWHL. I think Teresa doesn't want to talk about the case, nor does she know how to talk about the case. Case in point - in last week's New York Post interview, the reporter asked her if she had any regrets. It's about as basic and predictable and easy a question as you'll get. Teresa, though, was flummoxed, and replied: "I don't know....That's a hard question. Next!" If she can't handle that question, she sure as hell can't answer questions from Andy and callers on live tv. Not only is she an idiot, but she's still acting like this is all such a tragedy what's happening to her and she wants it behind her. Because of the guilty plea, appearing on WWHL would force her to take at least a modicum of responsibility, and she can't and still won't do that. Except to the judge. But never on tv.

• Love 3

I don't think the cancellation has anything to do with whatever Andy said last week on WWHL. I think Teresa doesn't want to talk about the case, nor does she know how to talk about the case. Case in point - in last week's New York Post interview, the reporter asked her if she had any regrets. It's about as basic and predictable and easy a question as you'll get. Teresa, though, was flummoxed, and replied: "I don't know....That's a hard question. Next!" If she can't handle that question, she sure as hell can't answer questions from Andy and callers on live tv. Not only is she an idiot, but she's still acting like this is all such a tragedy what's happening to her and she wants it behind her. Because of the guilty plea, appearing on WWHL would force her to take at least a modicum of responsibility, and she can't and still won't do that. Except to the judge. But never on tv.

Lotus, this makes sense to me. I was surprised to hear she had agreed to do it at all. It also explains why they replaced her with Kathy and Rosie. Probably Teresa either cancelled, or made it clear she would not address the topic. Andy was no doubt pissed in either situation, being her employer and all, and replaced her not with a current FT member of the cast, but with someone she feels has betrayed her, at least at some point. This tells me all I need to know about how Andy feels about Teresa.

• Love 3

.....and replaced her not with a current FT member of the cast, but with someone she feels has betrayed her, at least at some point. This tells me all I need to know about how Andy feels about Teresa.

That's a great point....replacing her with a cousin who she feels betrayed her. Burn! Andy can be so sneaky!

I only watched this becuase I read the comments and found them amusing. I don't think I would watch any of these shows anymore if it weren't for these forums (and the lonely farmers seeking love commercials)

I usually watch late into the night becuase of the shame of being caught!

• Love 4

I think if the format was the problem, all of the HWs shows would be in trouble. OC is fine and had a bit of a ratings bump the same week NJ fell hard. NYC has been steadily declining, but no show has posted the huge ratings dump that NJ has posted. A quarter of the audience tuning out is unprecedented. Ratings didn't drop like this at the height of the in-family fighting, last season. I agree with those who've said that the Giudices' criminal activity, along with the sense of betrayal has really hurt this show.

Bravo sold the audience a lie about who the Giudices were and I have to wonder if fans aren't thinking that Bravo was somehow complicit in pushing that lie. Bravo, as partners to the couple, even brought them back and allowed them to use their children (for sympathy?) Surely filming the show gave off huge red flags about how the Giudices were really living. I don't believe Dina was ever a draw to the show. The new wives make me want to tear my hair out at the sound of their voices. I'm happy to read about the show from now on.

I would be shocked if Bravo didn't edit in more Kathy, Jacqueline, Caroline scenes to try to get some fans to tune back in. I don't think those women kept the rating high on their own. I agree with those who've said that this show was set apart from the others because the relationships were real. Those three felt more real to me than anything NJ offers now. I thought NJ was more of an ensemble than the other HW franchises as well. Teresa saw herself, I think, as the breakout, but I never thought she could run a show as the lead. For me she's far too unlikable.

You are exaggerating and leaving out info. The premiere had 1/4 less viewers than last season's premiere. The episode got 2.1 million viewers which is about what am average episode of this show gets. The reunion for last season pulled in the same viewership.

New York's ratings decline has been far greater than aNew Jersey. The last season with Jill, Alex, and Kelly averaged 2 million viewers and the current season is averaging 1.2 million.

The housewives franchise as a whole is in decline except for Atlanta. I do believe this season will be low rates because of a bunch of newbies not because of Teresa who is still a fan fave despite her abhorrent criminal activities.

• Love 1

Speaking of the ratings, Richie was tweeting last night

"Humm I wonder if the #bravoratings are going to move up tonight. What do you think?"

So delusional.  I'm sure if they did go up, he will take credit. 

I think this show has many loyal followers but last night the episode was rather dull.  They should have had a Christmas party and involved all the cast members.  Not one of the family's celebrations was memorable.  Although I would like an invite to the home that serves 28 lobsters for eight people.

Kathy and Rosie's appearance seemed to irritate the "Game of Thrones" chick.  I think she was lucky for the last minute substitution. 

Dina's blog was telling-she is so incredibly phony with her life.  There is no upside to having her on the show.  Bad decision by Bravo.  I would have rather had more Rosie and Kathy.

• Love 2

I don't think Jersey is going anywhere. AC loves Tre, Dina, and the whole Jersey clan.I think the fact that there is a real life situation playing out is enough for the series to go on for at least one more season, if only to follow the Juicy/Tre drama. My guess is that Andy and TPTB told Melissa/JoGo to make nice with Tre, because people got tired of watching the infighting. I think that AC and his minions follow message boards like this one and TWOP (remember Bravo owned TWOP), and decided to get rid of Kathy (too boring), Jaq (too drunk/stupid), and the Manzos (ostensibly to give them a series). I also think Rosie's drunken threatening rant at the reunion nixed any chance that she might play a bigger role this season No one could film with each other without fighting and arguing and cutting half the cast and replacing them is supposed to stop all that. Dina brings nothing to the show, but AC loovees her. We will see what the ratings bring

I have to admit that I shut this episode off right in the middle. That's a first for any Housewives show for me. It was just super boring. The wife and I both fell asleep right in the middle of it and we just shut if off. 

Not a good sign when we able to last through every minute of DC and Miami.

• Love 2

Dina brings nothing to the show, but AC loovees her.

And there in my mind is the reason Caroline and Jac are gone.   Andy desperately wanted Dina back.  Guessing those were her terms and Caroline was given a spinoff for whatever reason.  I doubt Manzo's with Children is really going to go anywhere.  A pilot, maybe 6 episodes.  Is it even on their schedule yet?

The numbers are in and this last episode brought in 1.64 million. The viewership also fell last season from episode 1 to episode 2 but I don't remember it ever dipping this low besides Season 1 and maybe lost footage specials.

I think that people were already tired of the family infighting, but add to that a practically new cast where no one's personality is really popping and the perceived "star" vet who's been dialing it back since her legal drama has snowballed you have a lot of uninteresting TV and people tuning out.

Caroline and Jaq Daniels brought...something to the show, but I don't think either of them are the saving grace that would get Jersey's numbers back to its hey day. I'll be curious to see how the Manzo show performs even though I have no interest in watching. I figure it will fill in the Game of Crowns time slot once their show is over. 

• Love 2
(edited)

badbolocolo - I guess you missed her Fabellini commercial. It was awesome. Sexy and sophisticated! In the immortal words of Inigo Montoya - "I don't think it means what you think it means".

WOWZA!  One of my fave quotes of all times, LOL!  I have, regrettably, seen that commercial. I laughed, I cried, I used all of the brain bleach I could find (i.e. good stuff to try to replace that image).  It doesn't help.  It. Does. Not. Help. ;))

I believe Bravo relies too much on social media for their feedback.  RHONYC has been in the dumps ratings wise and Bravo talks about them trending on Twitter. Fiddling while Rome burns. Bravo use to allow comments on the RH blogs-no longer.  Apparently you can go to their Facebook page and leave a comment.  For a company that prides itself on social media it sure employs a great deal of censorship.

Whoever, at Bravo and Sirens, took the reported $700,000.00 gamble with Teresa returning this season should be fired.  Teresa lied throughout the Season 2 filming (or failed to disclose) they had filed bankruptcy.  Season 3 she caused a ruckus in Punta Canta and Bravo/Sirens had to pay big dollars-one of the reason I think Caroline was such a bitch in Season 4, since she Albert, their sons and Greg Bennett were all sued, over something Teresa started.  Instead they chose to portray Teresa as the one who was being ganged up on.  About the smartest thing they did was bring on Teresa's family-there was an initial story arc.  Because of her stubbornness and inability to accept the fact they were aboard there was three season round and round of Teresa's family fighting.

The return of Dina, to me, is just further proof that Bravo listens to select social media and kowtows to Andy's favorites in the clubhouse.  It already sounds like Amber and the twins have parting of the ways so perhaps there is a new queen of mean on the horizon.  Since I always thought Teresa was an ill-mannered, vile and insipid woman the only thing I hoped for in watching the show is every time she was humiliated.  As to Amber -I have the same vibe from her as I did Teresa-someone who reeks of desperation.  

I don't think anyone at Bravo can afford to deny that there are REAL problems (hee hee) with the Real Housewives of NJ.  If the premiere didn't bring fans in, after banking on the criminals' conviction being major news, they have no where to go but DOWN (and by ep. 2, that happened).  I couldn't make it through the entire episode.  The Twins' family are as narcissistic and delusional as the Giudices, in my opinion.  If they brag one more time about their greatness (While Nicole Gump and Doze-while-awake Dina Manzo put the audience to sleep over the various types of Kale) I won't be able to my kids playing outside from all of the screaming escaping from me!  I tried to tune in.  The second was worse than the first.  Rino makes me seriously miss Richie.

ETA Ratings Summary:  http://bravoratings.com/2014/05/15/real-housewives-of-new-jersey-season-6-ratings/

Edited by badbolocolo
  • Love 1

I think the only way the Teresa-and-Joe-as-victims storyline could have worked is if there was some sort of counterpoint - someone (or more than one person) calling them out for their criminal behavior. Similar to what Kenya on RHOA has always done with Apollo. Without this, we just have scene after scene of Joe and Teresa feeling sorry for themselves, and Dina, as Teresa's friend, and Joe G. and Melissa, as family, supporting them in this "difficult time." All of which is a big turn-off to viewers, most of whom are screaming "criminal" at the tv, because no one on screen is doing so. And then we're just left with the new girls, who we don't know yet, so there's really no interest. The crafting of the cast is what I think is the fatal flaw of the season.

• Love 3

I think the only way the Teresa-and-Joe-as-victims storyline could have worked is if there was some sort of counterpoint - someone (or more than one person) calling them out for their criminal behavior. Similar to what Kenya on RHOA has always done with Apollo. Without this, we just have scene after scene of Joe and Teresa feeling sorry for themselves, and Dina, as Teresa's friend, and Joe G. and Melissa, as family, supporting them in this "difficult time." All of which is a big turn-off to viewers, most of whom are screaming "criminal" at the tv, because no one on screen is doing so. And then we're just left with the new girls, who we don't know yet, so there's really no interest. The crafting of the cast is what I think is the fatal flaw of the season.

Oh yea, it would have been delicious to have Caroline, or even better Al, questioning their delusions on the show, although I don't think anyone would have been willing to do that.

• Love 1

Oh yea, it would have been delicious to have Caroline, or even better Al, questioning their delusions on the show, although I don't think anyone would have been willing to do that.

I agree. Which is exactly the problem. There's no cast member who's standing up and saying that fraud is a crime. This is a serious issue that the family is dealing with, and no one will say anything. Yet the issue of whether Teresa threw out Melissa's sprinkle cookies causes endless chatter and drama.

• Love 1

There's no cast member who's standing up and saying that fraud is a crime. This is a serious issue that the family is dealing with, and no one will say anything.

I think the twins are too busy trying to establish themselves to waste any time talking about Teresa. They want to keep the focus on their story, especially since they don't really know the Guidices. It seems Amber has her sights set on Melissa as her target. In the same way that Mel came on the show because she was jealous of Tre and wanted to "take her down" I think Amber has similar plans for Melissa. In her mind if Tre "goes away" it's better for Amber to have an ongoing conflict with Mel to secure a spot next season.

Joe is not going to go against his sister on this issue. She's family and he will support her to the bitter end. They may fight about stupid crap like sprinkle cookies, what time the other was at the hospital to visit dad, and who is copying who's style  but in the end she's his blood and this is SERIOUS shit now. I think Joe and Mel probably have some shady dealings of their own of the federal crimes type and are shitting their pants right now. Best to keep quite. If one of my siblings did what the Guidices did I would be angry and embarrassed but I'd never speak ill of them publicly and I'd be there to emotionally support them even if they are a fuck up. They're my sibling after all.

If Caro was still on the show I don't think she'd say a word. On this issue I think she'd take a "mind your own business" stance, esp with the legal problems Chris and Jac are now facing

• Love 1

^^ I don't think I'd take such a I'm-minding-my-own-business or supportive position as you, but that's another matter. As I said earlier, I think the mistake for this season is in the casting. I'm not surprised no one in this cast is telling it like it is re: Joe and Teresa's crimes, and that's the problem. There's no Kenya Moore in this cast. I think the producers should have considered that there was no counterpoint to the Giudice storyline when they decided to not only film them, but also feature their woe-is-me story arc. It's off-putting. I think it would be less so if there was a counterpoint.

(edited)

For me the show wouldn't be less off-putting or more interesting if the others were commenting on the Guidices. It would be a bunch of the-pot-calling-the kettle-black THs by a group of phony posers who most likely have financial skeletons of their own. I think the Guidice thing has cast a pall over the show whether it's commented on or not. If the situation was ignored and Bravo decided to film without addressing the Guidice issues, showing Tre and Joe going about their life without a word about the charges they face, that would come off as disingenuous. Doing what they're doing, allowing the Guidices to talk about it but Tre showing no remorse and WORST OF ALL filming Gia (who knows what's happening and is visibly distressed) is also offensive for some viewers. It's a no win. Probably would have been best not to have the Guidices on the show this season, gotten rid of the lot of them including the Gorgas and started fresh with an all new cast - though a better one than the newbies they've brought on so far.

I think the ratings drop is a combination of Tre's former backers/fans feeling betrayed by her, the family drama that went too far and too dark last season which caused some viewers to dump the show, and a bad choice in new cast members. I'm glad Caro, Jac and Kathy are not back but the newbies are not impressing me. Amber and the twins are annoying as hell and a bore and while Dina hasn't gotten on my nerves yet she's boring too.

Edited by happykitteh
  • Love 1

Don't like the new girls or Dina being back.  Definitely do not miss the Manzo's or Laurita's.  Love seeing Rosie!!  The fact that the Guidice's go about their lives like nothing is wrong, continuing to live way beyond their means, and keep filming knowing how it's affecting Gia is beyond me.  How about you take care of the mess you are in instead of filming for tv?  JMO

• Love 3

I haven't watched any episodes yet, but I watched the season preview a few weeks back and it looked boring.  The problem for me is that over half the housewives were replaced.  Whether I cared for them or not, it just changes the fabric of the show.  Not only are the three women replaced, but their families and friends are gone too.  Teresa and Melissa were at each other's throats last season, now all of a sudden it seems as if they're as thick as thieves.  There have just been too many changes and I'm not compelled to watch.  I don't know if I will.

• Love 1