Type keyword(s) to search

RHONJ Ratings Dump: A sign of things to come?

• Start Topic

I only watched this becuase I read the comments and found them amusing. I don't think I would watch any of these shows anymore if it weren't for these forums (and the lonely farmers seeking love commercials)

I usually watch late into the night becuase of the shame of being caught!

Tell me more about these farmers!

• Love 2

I wil be shocked if the ratings don't drop to a million or lower this season, unless something huge happens. I don't think anyone even Caroline and Al would talk too much about the Giudices because, I believe strongly, they all don't have too much room to talk. Bravo also made a huge mistake involving putting on so many family members. Fighting endlessly about Christenings and accusing your brothers wife of cheating is weird to watch when you know for a real a family is being hugely impacted, and now when real drama has happened that same group will pull their punches because at the end of the day that's their sister/cousin/in law/whatever.

Last season was dark and depressing but I felt something in watching that that I can't quite explain. I didn't like it, but I kept having to watch at least to hate it. These last two episodes have just been boring.  I'm very interested on what this weekends numbers will be but I really don't care if I watch or not.

• Love 2

If the producers are trying to keep the ratings I would suggest they show less of a very bratty Milania running around calling adults buttholes.  Nothing cute about it and Teresa's was an epic fail in the parenting department the way she reacted to the out and out bad behavior of the little monster. 

• Love 6

Well, not that I am a Nielsen viewer or anything, but this is the first Housewives franchise I'm giving up on. Last week's episode was on my DVR for the whole week and every time I sat in front of the TV it just wasn't appealing to watch. Last night, I turned on the TV, saw it was recording again and just made the executive decision to axe it.  It's weird to give up on it after watching it from the beginning but sometimes I feel like the toxic energy is coming through the TV!

I feel like there needs to be someone to like, to root for, on each franchise to keep me interested. To me, Atlanta, NYC and Beverly Hills have this. There is no one to root for in NJ - they all seem like terrible people. After this season I'm dropping the OC too - once again, not one of these people is likable.

Bye, NJ. It's been REAL.

• Love 3

ExplainItAgain, I think this is a very real risk for all of the franchises.  There's nothing exciting or attractive about this person or that person screaming at another person.  I sincerely believe these shows have outlived their usefulness and need to just evaporate.

• Love 3

It's been a little less than 24 hours and the episode still hasn't been posted online anywhere (that I can see).  That says something.  RHONJ episodes used to be posted within a few hours of airing.

I have never found little Milania "cute" and given the lack of restraint her parents have shown in their own lives, her behavior bothers me more.  I hope she learns structure from somewhere.  She's more out of control each year and I think Teresa, in particular, enjoys the camera time it brings the family.  Joe doesn't look as amused by Milania.

NOW Bravo execs are questioning whether Teresa's salary is worth it in light of plummeting ratings?  http://www.mstarz.com/articles/34404/20140728/real-housewives-of-new-jersey-ratings-continue-to-fall-despite-teresa-giudices-legal-issues-rhonj-new-girl-drama.htm  I think Bravo did a lot to try to prop Teresa as the show's breakout and that could lead a show.  I don't think she was anything more than and easily replaceable source of contention for the other HWs, who apparently weren't all that easy to replace.

• Love 3

I don't think she was anything more than and easily replaceable source of contention for the other HWs, who apparently weren't all that easy to replace.

While I think NJ lost many viewers because of the Guidice scandal I think the only reason this franchise has ANY viewers AT ALL is because of Teresa and Melissa and curiosity as to how the issue is being addressed.

Just because the new HWs suck doesn't mean the former ones didn't too. IMO.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm not surprised.  The show is much less enjoyable this year IMO.

Here are my reasons for not being as interested:

1) The newbies.  I HATED Caroline and I was indifferent to/mostly didn't like Jackie and Kathy, however, that doesn't mean I like the newbies.  There is nothing about the newbies that draws me in.  And how unnatural was it when the twins (I don't even know their names) found out about Amber trashing one of them and boom, they want to drive over to Amber's?  To me, that felt like they were thinking "oh yay!  Here is our opportunity to become break out stars.  Let's go!"  It's just not working for me.  Maybe with time, I'll be entertained by them, but not yet.  RHONJ was one of my favorite franchises, but this year, there have been times that I want to FF.

2) Teresa's sob story.  Blech.  If I hear one more time about how she doesn't understand why this is happening to her (because it is so shocking that fraud and theft have consequences!), I am going to throw something at my tv.  I never liked Teresa, but at least before, we didn't hear the sad song of doom everytime she was on screen.  Obviously, her family is going to be upset at a time like this (even though it is Joe and Teresa's fault), but that doesn't mean I want to watch it.  They banked on her working as a lead and it just isn't working because: 1) the drama with her family is over (I mean for purposes of the show because people were so sick of it); and 2) again, not a Teresa fan, but I think that people liked her stupid moments/her blow ups/etc. at least for entertainment purposes.  Now, you can tell she wants to just stand back, not be part of any drama, and the only thing she wants to lead is crap having to do with her cookbooks and sob story scenes.  This does not a lead make.  It doesn't work.

3) Dina's "story" is boring.  Watching her obsess over her child and looking at her freaky pets isn't doing it for me.  Is she going to do something at some point?  I feel like Teresa, Dina, and Melissa are just going to rely on the newbies for drama and I don't care about the newbies' drama.  I have no attachment to them whatsoever.  Granted, on RHOOC, I care about Shannon's drama and she is a newbie, but I don't care about the RHONJ newbies at all.

The whole feel of the show is different.  The changes were not positive ones IMO.

Edited by Brooke0707
  • Love 5

Well, not that I am a Nielsen viewer or anything, but this is the first Housewives franchise I'm giving up on. Last week's episode was on my DVR for the whole week and every time I sat in front of the TV it just wasn't appealing to watch. Last night, I turned on the TV, saw it was recording again and just made the executive decision to axe it.  It's weird to give up on it after watching it from the beginning but sometimes I feel like the toxic energy is coming through the TV!

I feel like there needs to be someone to like, to root for, on each franchise to keep me interested. To me, Atlanta, NYC and Beverly Hills have this. There is no one to root for in NJ - they all seem like terrible people. After this season I'm dropping the OC too - once again, not one of these people is likable.

Bye, NJ. It's been REAL.

You and me both, sister! I'm done with NJ and it's off my autorecord as well. The RH franchises, all of them, should go. It's time.

• Love 4

Thanks for that link about the ratings, @zoeysmom . I'd like to see the ratings dip even further so this new crew of Ho's and their husbands don't return for another season.

The average ratings at this point in the season compared to the same point last season are down about 600,000 total viewers, almost a 25% decrease. Good, especially since it's so obvious the producers are trying to create drama just for ratings. Hopefully, the ratings will continue to decrease all season.

• Love 1

Who woulda ever thunk Caroline Manzo actually added to this show? I certainly didn't. Although I knew I would miss the brief appearances of Al Manzo. Not that I'll be watching Manzo'd With Children. Unless I hear it's all about Al - then maybe I'd take a look.

The ratings dip is pretty funny. It reminds me of one of my favorite Teresa delusional moments though. I think it was on some reunion where she said something like "well it happened in front of 4M viewers" about some stupid drama. OK Teresa, you keep telling yourself that - I know you're not very good at math, but delusional much? I guess we all know the answer to that question anyway.

Edited by Jennifersdc

Who woulda ever thunk Caroline Manzo actually added to this show? I certainly didn't. Although I knew I would miss the brief appearances of Al Manzo. Not that I'll be watching Manzo'd With Children. Unless I hear it's all about Al - then maybe I'd take a look.

The ratings dip is pretty funny. It reminds me of one of my favorite Teresa delusional moments though. I think it was on some reunion where she said something like "well it happened in front of 4M viewers" about some stupid drama. OK Teresa, you keep telling yourself that - I know you're not very good at math, but delusional much? I guess we all know the answer to that question anyway.

I completely thought Caroline added to the show. She was the one who was grounded in reality, but still living among the crazy folk. From the very beginning, she was the one who saw the absurd in Teresa, even when they were getting along. I loved her reaction to Teresa running like a loon through the streets of Italy looking for Chanel or modeling her 28 bikinis in Punta Cana. I thought she was completely necessary to the show, although in S4 we saw way too much of her kids. She was the only HW on the Jersey show that I liked at all and I am really missing her. I would love to see her reaction to the twins and Amber. Edited by motorcitymom65
  • Love 5

Caroline was always my husband's favorite - quite frankly I ended up being done with the holier than thou attitude (given she willingly appeared on this schlock). I actually even thought her sons were more realistic than her about their "accomplishments". I even thought they could be funny (ie. whenever Joe Giudice does anything - does he think "legal or illegal"?).

But my favorite was always Al's reaction to Teresa's Punta Cana bikini fashion show and Caroline's ensuing migraine. Later season when they were packing for another trip he goes "well if it's as much fun as Punta Cana" then split to Teresa packing and showing off the collection of incredibly tacky bikinis to her daughters (can she sell those?). Priceless.

Looking back, my apologies to Caroline. Would love to see her reaction to the new "ladies". She was obviously done though and doesn't need the money.

• Love 1

But my favorite was always Al's reaction to Teresa's Punta Cana bikini fashion show and Caroline's ensuing migraine. Later season when they were packing for another trip he goes "well if it's as much fun as Punta Cana" then split to Teresa packing and showing off the collection of incredibly tacky bikinis to her daughters (can she sell those?). Priceless.

God, Al was so great in that episode.  First with the bikini show, then later when Juicy and dumb ass Tre just casually throw out how they are opening a restaurant, because it's not really that hard of a thing to do. And if they don't like it, they will just sell it or something. Watching Al as he tried to process this was just awesome. 

• Love 1

Juicy and dumb ass Tre just casually throw out how they are opening a restaurant, because it's not really that hard of a thing to do. And if they don't like it, they will just sell it or something. Watching Al as he tried to process this was just awesome.

Kathy and Richie also went to Al for advice about opening a restaurant. Al once again had to explain how much work and risk goes into such a venture. If I were Al I would have been insulted that Guidices and Walikies think what he does is so easy any dolt can just open a restaurant and be a success.

Kathy and Richie also went to Al for advice about opening a restaurant. Al once again had to explain how much work and risk goes into such a venture. If I were Al I would have been insulted that Guidices and Walikies think what he does is so easy any dolt can just open a restaurant and be a success.

Yea, you are right. At least Kathy was interested in cooking professionally and was looking for the right opportunity. They took Al's advice like it was the gospel, and treated him with respect as someone who had lived the life. Tre and Joe were just rude, per usual. 

I stopped watching mid-last season because I don't enjoy seeing families fight or the fallout on the kids. I was so disgusted last season. This is the first RH franchise I gave up on (aside from Miami, which I never watched).

Pretty much this.  I also stopped watching mid season last year, not so much because it was families fighting as it was that I just hate both the Guduices and the Gorga's and could barely stand watching them. I was sick to death of Caroline and her boring family couldn't stand Jacqueline and found Kathy boring and Ritchie disgusting.

I tried again this year, mostly out of curiousity about how they would handle the criminal charges. Now, I just get furious every week because the entire cast continues to act as if the criminal charges  agains the CRIMINALS  are some unexpected,  tragic life event, like Cancer.  BTW did you all know Amber had "The Cancer"?

At any rate since I do not equate getting  caught lying, cheating and stealing, with being stricken with a horrible disease it continues to infuriate me that the Guduices are being treated, on the show, more as victims than criminals.

Add that to the fact that each time I watch I am reminded that I must be a truly horrible person because I know it is wrong to hate children. Yet each time I see Milania, future serial killer, I want to smack her and, most especially, her idiot  mother.

I figure I won't even make it to mid season this year.

As for Miami, I tried. As a loyal BRAVO  bitch, who has even made myself endure entire seasons of Married to Medicine and Blood Sweat and Heels, I really, really tried. But I just could not. I still couldn't name the Miami women on threat of death.

Edited by chlban
  • Love 2

I honestly can't tell the twins or Amber apart from one another. All of the new women looks exactly the same to me and none of them are compelling enough for me to try telling them apart. I watched the last episode, but am not interested in watching the rest of the season.

• Love 1

Pretty much this.  I also stopped watching mid season last year, not so much because it was families fighting as it was that I just hate both the Guduices and the Gorga's and could barely stand watching them. I was sick to death of Caroline and her boring family couldn't stand Jacqueline and found Kathy boring and Ritchie disgusting.

I tried again this year, mostly out of curiousity about how they would handle the criminal charges. Now, I just get furious every week because the entire cast continues to act as if the criminal charges  agains the CRIMINALS  are some unexpected,  tragic life event, like Cancer.  BTW did you all know Amber had "The Cancer"?

Exactly why I stopped watching last season and picked up again this season. Not sure how much longer I am in for, not much, I think.

Not sure what they are trying to do with the Guidices.  IIRC, the original sentencing date was scheduled for a few days before the season's first episode.  If that has played out without the delay, the sentencing would be over.   So why are they focusing on the sympathy angle (to me it seems that way, at least).  It should have all been over by the time the first episode aired. Add to that, the fact that they pled guilty, so some of what they are airing doesn't even make sense.

Theresa can cry and moan and talk about her family all she wants - Bravo is making the decision to air it.  Not sure why.  Is it all they have? 

The season so far seems disjointed to me.  For example, they went right from the scene with Teresa's desserts, to all of them in the restaurant.   The scene with the Wakiles and Rosie in the restaurant at Christmas seemed forced and uncomfortable to me. 

I just can't put my finger on it, but this season is weird to me.

• Love 1

Like others, I too like the shared history of the cast. I liked they were genuinely friends/family not fake friends as a way to introduce them to the show. Don't get me wrong, I don't want Caroline, Jacq or Kathy back because I can't stand any of them but I do miss how much more real it felt. NJ was definitely the most authentic of all the franchises.

Plus I can't tell those freaking shrill twins apart and that is getting on my nerves.

Ratings down again this week-and this episode had a girl fight and a fist full of extension hair:  http://bravoratings.com/2014/05/15/real-housewives-of-new-jersey-season-6-ratings/2/

That was for Episode 4 on August 3rd. I just checked that site and ratings went back up for Episode 5, and then dipped back down for Episode 6. No news yet for this week's episode (ep 7).

Ratings so far:

Real Housewives of New Jersey – Season 6 Episodic Ratings

Episode       Time            Date              Lead-In                   P2+   Audience        P18-49 Audience       P18-49 Demo

S06E01        8:00 PM      13-Jul-14     RHoNJ 5.22 Rpt           2,144,000                      1,195,000                           0.94

S06E02       8:00 PM     20-Jul-14     RHoNJ 6.01 SE               1,642,000                       994,000                          0.78

S06E03       8:00 PM      27-Jul-14     RHoNJ 6.02 SE              1,885,000                     1,030,000                         0.81

S06E04       8:00 PM     03-Aug-14   RHoNJ 6.03 rpt             1,753,000                     1,015,000                          0.80

S06E05       8:00 PM     10-Aug-14    RHoNJ 6.04 SE             2,007,000                    1,175,000                           0.93

S06E06       8:00 PM     17-Aug-14     RHoNJ 6.05 SE             1,717,000                      1,034,000                          0.81

S06E07       8:00 PM     24-Aug-14    RHoNJ 6.06 SE                  TBD                              TBD                                 TBD

So I just realized as I find this last episode airs yet again tonight in primetime, that last night's episode got to air back to back the entire 8-11 slot.  And nothing really happened draw wise to justify that imo.  I mean watching two Federal Marshals force Theresa into a orange jumpsuit and then shave her for pre-emptive lice control all while the BRAVO cameras role and Danielle Staub makes an unexpected cameo in the spectator's gallery of the courtroom just cackling with glee?   THAT's a three back to back episode run.  Last night?  Really?

They really are desperate.   I think not just the plunge in the ratings, but also because I strongly suspect that Cohen and his fellow producers sold BRAVO heavily on the Giudices and their crimes playing out being a big draw.  I wonder if they promised a resurgence and instead we get turd circles bowl?

It would be rich to see the so called break out star of the franchise essentially be the one to kill the show.  How rich if out of spite, right before the sentencing, BRAVO declares Theresa Giudice unemployed and footloose and fancy free for the next 27 months or whatever the judge settles on.

• Love 1

heebiejeebie -wasn't really able to get beyond the Federal Marshal's and "pre-emptive" lice. Why aren't you playing the "Mitigation"/"Aggravation" factor re sentencing? Are you interested in some Fabellini?

Edited by Jennifersdc

So I just realized as I find this last episode airs yet again tonight in primetime, that last night's episode got to air back to back the entire 8-11 slot.  And nothing really happened draw wise to justify that imo.  I mean watching two Federal Marshals force Theresa into a orange jumpsuit and then shave her for pre-emptive lice control all while the BRAVO cameras role and Danielle Staub makes an unexpected cameo in the spectator's gallery of the courtroom just cackling with glee?   THAT's a three back to back episode run.  Last night?  Really?

They really are desperate.   I think not just the plunge in the ratings, but also because I strongly suspect that Cohen and his fellow producers sold BRAVO heavily on the Giudices and their crimes playing out being a big draw.  I wonder if they promised a resurgence and instead we get turd circles bowl?

It would be rich to see the so called break out star of the franchise essentially be the one to kill the show.  How rich if out of spite, right before the sentencing, BRAVO declares Theresa Giudice unemployed and footloose and fancy free for the next 27 months or whatever the judge settles on.

When they announced Teresa fraud indictment and the Reunion had yet to be filmed- I thought it is time for Bravo to cut her loose or pay her "friend of the HW" salary and follow her case.  It is almost as if no one at Bravo could fathom that Teresa would not be able to talk about her case. She wouldn't talk about her case on the show in Season 4 when her attorneys were telling the tabloids they could face prison time.  I am sure her attorneys are happy Bravo made the dipstick move and wrote the big check but for the Bravo personnel involved-there should be consequences.  Milania can't carry the show.

I am looking forward to Teresa having to part with her extensions and fake eyelashes and finally take a photograph without her head cocked to one side.

• Love 2

I am looking forward to Teresa having to part with her extensions and fake eyelashes and finally take a photograph without her head cocked to one side.

Never will happen or at least I won't believe it till I see it. If she even thinks that there is a camera within a 50 yard radius that head tilts and the hand goes on the hip.

So I have reluctantly watched an episode or two of Manzo'd with Children.  YIKES.  Caroline better hope RHONJ wants her back.  As to ratings there simply are none for Manzo'd with Children.  THe First Looks scored higher ratings.

After awhile it doesn't really matter if it's Teresa or Nene or Ramona or Brandi or Stereotypical Italian Woman #7 who's name we don't know yet, 'cause they're all doing the same thing.

Absolutely agree.  I have not watched NJ nor do I plan on watching it.  NY and OC are really all I have the energy for and that bulb is dimming quickly.  Same shit different city.  I'll be happy when reality TV goes bye-bye. 

• Love 1

Absolutely agree.  I have not watched NJ nor do I plan on watching it.  NY and OC are really all I have the energy for and that bulb is dimming quickly.  Same shit different city.  I'll be happy when reality TV goes bye-bye. 

I'm down to just RHONY.  I'll tune in to Vanderpump Rules just because the vapidity of those idjits fascinates me.  But never long enough to last the whole season.  I suspect this is the way it will go for me when Teresa is brought back.  I'll be curious and probably watch a couple eps but it will turn into more of the same ol', same ol'. 

I'm with you, in that I wish reality TV would just be over.  Because I'm clearly not strong enough to completely quit it all by myself.

• Love 1