Type keyword(s) to search

Married At First Sight (Australia) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Yes, this is the only thread for the Australian  version. 

Also, switch things around. Would an American  bride necessarily be pleased getting a native Aussie as her groom? But be that as it may, that bride seems too focused on becoming a mother than she is on becoming a wife. 

The groom with the Asian bride reminds me of an actor, but danged if I can think of whom.

But I do know which actor blond beach boy  Mitch reminds me of: James Dean. It's the squint. 

Lol, yes about the Asian brides groom.  He does resemble someone.  His accent is very strong too.  I’m surprised nobody else is watching, as I think it’s better than MAFS at this point.  Thanks for answering as you seem to know much more about these threads.  👍

• Love 2

I’ve been waiting for the universe to manifest itself to me before commenting. And then my daily affirmations take hours, but I’m here now!

Cody wants to get away. 

And Andrew’s suit was a few sizes too small. You have one job, Costume Department. And what’s wrong with his ear?

Edited by Auntie Anxiety
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

And Andrew’s suit was a few sizes too small. You have one job, Costume Department. And what’s wrong with his ear?

thats called cauliflower ear. Boxers and fighters get it from taking punches to their heads.

I have to give Ella a pass because I think she probably had a few drinks to loosen up and then she saw that snack of a husband. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 4/15/2022 at 9:40 AM, kristen111 said:

Anyhoo, I don’t get the bride who keeps talking about Texas.  So the groom is from Texas .. so what.

She was buying into all the stereotypes.  That all Texans love Trump and shoot guns all the time.  Some do of course.  But at least find out about this guy before jumping to conclusions.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, lh25 said:

She was buying into all the stereotypes.  That all Texans love Trump and shoot guns all the time.  Some do of course.  But at least find out about this guy before jumping to conclusions.

Don’t forget that every Texan has an oil well in the front yard.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 4/16/2022 at 11:30 AM, kristen111 said:

I’m surprised nobody else is watching, as I think it’s better than MAFS at this point.  Thanks for answering as you seem to know much more about these threads.  👍

I agree that this version and the UK version are way better than the American version of this show.  I've watched all of the current Aus version already, so I'm refraining from posting so I don't spoil anything...but I will be reading everyone's comments along the way! 

• Love 3
On 4/17/2022 at 10:36 AM, butterbody said:

thats called cauliflower ear. Boxers and fighters get it from taking punches to their heads.

I think wrestlers can get it from their ear cartilage bending against the mat.  I think they wear headgear to help prevent it. I have always heard of it, yet I’ve actually only seen it on reality tv show people that wrestled in high school or college. If anyone watched early Big Brother, Justin (Alison’s former boyfriend from college who hooked up with someone else I can’t think of… Dana? from Queens, NY) from BB4 had it on his ear. My gift/curse of a very detailed memory for the most trivial data 🙈

• LOL 2
22 hours ago, lh25 said:

well, that's what she was doing....... finding out if he fit the stereotypes up front so that if he was a trump fan she could prevent herself from getting emotionally attached to him

• Useful 1

Am I in wrong place for Australia MAFS? The season with the bride and groom who each have a child & a "Barbie" wannabe with a hunk of a hospitality industry mogul? I'm lost. First time tuning into MAFS Australia & it's wayyy different.  

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Kdawg82 said:

Am I in wrong place for Australia MAFS? The season with the bride and groom who each have a child & a "Barbie" wannabe with a hunk of a hospitality industry mogul? I'm lost. First time tuning into MAFS Australia & it's wayyy different.  

It is very different indeed. Many of the participants have children; there is a huge cast and they add in new couples along the way; the marriages are not legal; they have several "decision days" during the process; and 

Spoiler

there has been some mate swapping in the past.

Enjoy!

Edited by bref
  • Love 2
On 4/19/2022 at 2:03 PM, Kdawg82 said:

Yes .. this is the place.  I find it better than the American version lately.  Plus, the scenery is gorgeous.  The wedding gowns also.  They go back n forth with many couples, which makes it more interesting.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Yes .. this is the place.  I find it better than the American version lately.  Plus, the scenery is gorgeous.  The wedding gowns also.  They go back n forth with many couples, which makes it more interesting.

I watched this last season and it was marginally interesting.  I don't really care about anybody we've seen so far this season. 

Am really surprised about the gal who is apparently belittling her husband. calling him princess, etc.  I liked her in the pre-wedding scenes but if she's acting like this, why would he want to risk how she'd act with his child?  Hope he doesn't change his mind and stays with her.

• Love 5

Holly & Andrew:   Boo hoo.  Andrew didn’t have a rip roaring time the first night they had sex.  What did he expect?  An “around the world” with his new wife who was a little nervous ?  What a Cad.  I would have walked away and said he wasn’t so great either, like he thought he was.  What nerve.  I don’t like him from the jump.

• Love 10
On 4/21/2022 at 7:03 AM, kristen111 said:

Holly & Andrew:   Boo hoo.  Andrew didn’t have a rip roaring time the first night they had sex.  What did he expect?  An “around the world” with his new wife who was a little nervous ?  What a Cad.  I would have walked away and said he wasn’t so great either, like he thought he was.  What nerve.  I don’t like him from the jump.

During their vows, I commented to my husband that in Andrew's vows, he was saying things like I promise to be your best friend "in this experiment."  I guess "this experiment" could refer to their lives forever after, but it made me think that he was only committing to the 8 weeks. It made me wonder if he was doing this show to promote his motivational speaking career. If so, I think it's not working. Talk about showing how to de-motivate someone.

The question was, "Are you attracted to your partner?" not "Is your partner good in bed?" He should have stopped after saying he was attracted to her, and then during later encounters showed her what he likes. But, no, he tells her he didn't feel a thing. And as if that weren't enough, he says he's had one night stands (plural) and has felt more on one-night stands than he did with her. That was just plain mean to say that. I don't see how he can come back from that.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, Kip1 said:

During their vows, I commented to my husband that in Andrew's vows, he was saying things like I promise to be your best friend "in this experiment."  I guess "this experiment" could refer to their lives forever after, but it made me think that he was only committing to the 8 weeks. It made me wonder if he was doing this show to promote his motivational speaking career. If so, I think it's not working. Talk about showing how to de-motivate someone.

The question was, "Are you attracted to your partner?" not "Is your partner good in bed?" He should have stopped after saying he was attracted to her, and then during later encounters showed her what he likes. But, no, he tells her he didn't feel a thing. And as if that weren't enough, he says he's had one night stands (plural) and has felt more on one-night stands than he did with her. That was just plain mean to say that. I don't see how he can come back from that.

Andrew is the worst, and that’s saying a lot on this show. He’s awful enough that he belongs back at home on the American version of this show. Perhaps he can be paired with Alyssa- after all, she loves a cowboy!

• LOL 9
  • Love 5

I’m stunned that Andrew is a motivational speaker. Like for what, motivation to be an asshole?

He must have run out of women in the US to inflict himself and had to move on to the female population in Oz. He’s been married twice? I think twice should be a red flag. He’s not even that old.

• Love 7
On 4/21/2022 at 7:32 AM, cinsays said:

I watched this last season and it was marginally interesting.  I don't really care about anybody we've seen so far this season. 

Am really surprised about the gal who is apparently belittling her husband. calling him princess, etc.  I liked her in the pre-wedding scenes but if she's acting like this, why would he want to risk how she'd act with his child?  Hope he doesn't change his mind and stays with her.

Anyone would take him in a heartbeat.  What’s wrong with her?  A spoiled brat.  Is this show on its own or attached to MAFS?

• Love 2
On 5/28/2020 at 12:32 PM, LennieBriscoe said:

Well, gee, thanks.

But I don't remember asking to know all this, so I could, you know, maybe ENJOY the show. 

I’m loving it.  More than the American version, which is boring as hell.

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Anyone would take him in a heartbeat.  What’s wrong with her?  A spoiled brat.  Is this show on its own or attached to MAFS?

It's just mafs in another country. Just like big brother Canada or survivor Australia. There will be little differences in structure of course.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

It's just mafs in another country. Just like big brother Canada or survivor Australia. There will be little differences in structure of course.

I mean, why isn’t it on its own?  Why is it attached to Our MAFS ?

16 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

Ok, thanks.

1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

I mean, why isn’t it on its own?  Why is it attached to Our MAFS ?

Ok, thanks.

Lifetime has failed over and over again to find a good companion show for MAFS. So, I'm sure for them, this is the best option and doesn't really cost them anything. When they first did this it was to fill void of no content due to covid. Now, I think it's a lack of options issue.

• Love 2
On 4/23/2022 at 1:50 AM, Kip1 said:

I don’t see how she stayed after that.  I would have been humiliated and dumped him then and there.  She just sat there blank.  What a chop to her.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I think there are more than a few differences! E.g.:

AU stresses it's "an experiment," as opposed to the US's "it's a legal marriage." This is why the AU version ends with "vow renewals," or not! No divorce needed. 

AU has interim group dinners, where participants are seen to get along or argue vociferously with non-partners.

AU usually has clandestine cheating partners.

AU has interim "Stay or Leave" "Decision Days," with a forced "Stay" if only one partner writes it. Also, if both partners write "Leave," it's not viewed as scandalous when they depart. 

AU has new couples enter the show weeks into it.

AU has expanded from 8 episodes per season to now more than thirty!

(MAFS:NZ is identical to AU.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I was kind of with Andrew when I thought he was saying that he needs time to develop an emotional connection for sex to be good.  Then he threw out that line about one-night stands and blew that theory out of the water.  I agree with those saying there isn't a good way back from that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

AU stresses it's "an experiment," as opposed to the US's "it's a legal marriage." This is why the AU version ends with "vow renewals," or not! No divorce needed. 

AU has interim group dinners, where participants are seen to get along or argue vociferously with non-partners.

AU has interim "Stay or Leave" "Decision Days," with a forced "Stay" if only one partner writes it. Also, if both partners write "Leave," it's not viewed as scandalous when they depart. 

I'm aware of all the differences. I was just saying, at its core, it's the same show. The same concept. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Why bother with a wedding in the first place if it’s not legal?  

3 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Why bother with a wedding in the first place if it’s not legal?  

There lies the problem with this model. People quit the show at will. They have a bunch of couples on deck for when people leave. It's too easy to check out with this show. I enjoy it. Don't get me wrong. But I don't take this version as seriously.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

There lies the problem with this model. People quit the show at will. They a bunch of couples on deck for when people leave. It's too easy to check out with this show. I enjoy it. Don't get me wrong. But I don't take this version as seriously.

So basically, we are seeing nice wedding gowns, probably sleeping together if the thought strikes them, beautiful scenery and some stories who has kids and whatnot.  Oh, and the weekly dinner where they hash everything out.  Different. At least there’s not too many commercials ..YET.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

You just can’t call your new husband Princess.  Just can’t.  

Let’s call it what it was, verbal and emotional abuse. He thoughtfully readied a bath for her and she demeaned his efforts. He showed some vulnerability and she scoffed at his feelings. Can you imagine how that would have played if the genders were reversed?

• Love 10
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

You just can’t call your new husband Princess.  Just can’t.  

Seline or whoever, is a sneaky Bitch.  She’s not telling anyone the true story why he left.

Where is everyone today?

dunno - maybe they decided they had better things to do than watch this stuff?

hopefully, the "princess" will get a chance to tell the guys the real story and they can discuss it with the gals and set them straight

why these experts thought they would make a good match is something i can't understand.

• Love 1
On 4/25/2022 at 3:46 PM, Racj82 said:

There lies the problem with this model. People quit the show at will. They have a bunch of couples on deck for when people leave. It's too easy to check out with this show. I enjoy it. Don't get me wrong. But I don't take this version as seriously.

They quit the US version at will as well just not as often because there are less couples.

2 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

They quit the US version at will as well just not as often because there are less couples.

They do not quit the US version at will. The vast majority of couples stick it through even if they have no plans to yes. In the Australian version, you have people waking up one day and just being like I'm out. It's a rarity in the US version. It's not as rare in Australia. Mainly because it's not legal binding in AU.

19 hours ago, cinsays said:

dunno - maybe they decided they had better things to do than watch this stuff?

hopefully, the "princess" will get a chance to tell the guys the real story and they can discuss it with the gals and set them straight

why these experts thought they would make a good match is something i can't understand.

It's difficult. A lot of people just saw this season through...other means. I kind of wish we were all watching at the same time but that's not happening.

• Useful 1

Oh how I love this delicious mess! So glad it is back.

I wonder why they skipped S8

I, for one, prefer the fact that no legal marriages are taking place. I think it is crazy to alter your marital status based on "experts" on a damn TV show with an abominable track record. I'm not trusting anyone when I have to change my filing status on my tax returns.

All the weddings were so beautiful. Each had a different venue, different feel and an abundance of beautiful floral arrangements. The brides all looked amazing to me, in gowns that were beautifully tailored and fit their personalities and venue.  In short, none of it looked cheap and thrown together at the local lower to mid-range hotel. I can't recall everyone's names yet but I love the 2 night weddings (Ella with the red roses and Selina). 

This is gonna be such a confusing season. There is a Selin and Selina. I feel bad for Selina - the bride with the groom whose schlong is not aligned with his brain. Selin is coming off like an ass. 

On 4/23/2022 at 12:59 PM, rlc said:

Andrew is the worst, and that’s saying a lot on this show. He’s awful enough that he belongs back at home on the American version of this show. Perhaps he can be paired with Alyssa- after all, she loves a cowboy!

But does he have a tiger tattoo? Or was it an eagle?

Andrew is the worst. The worst wasn't even that he told her the sex was bad, it was that he told her the sex was bad but it wasn't his fault because he knows he is good at it (allegedly), has the right equipment (allegedly) and knows how to use it (allegedly) ... so basically its not me its you. 

Tamara isn't as cute as she thinks she is.

Olivia is a doll and I am rooting for her. 7 years being primary caretaker to her dying father sounds so damn dreadful.  

Brent is a cutie and the only really 'hot' groom to me. Al is technically good looking but ugh! I am with his bride - far too immature.  His sister is gorgeous. 

Al going in for a kiss, after that long pause and being rejected is one of the cringiest TV moments. Yikes! 

• Love 5
On 4/29/2022 at 10:43 AM, Racj82 said:

It's difficult. A lot of people just saw this season through...other means. I kind of wish we were all watching at the same time but that's not happening.

I think there's an element of burnout, too. Adding a couple hours of MAFS viewing right after the US version when many folks are already feeling weary of the current season was not a smart programming move IMO.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, bref said:

I think there's an element of burnout, too. Adding a couple hours of MAFS viewing right after the US version when many folks are already feeling weary of the current season was not a smart programming move IMO.

Not an issue for me. I gave up on the US version weeks ago, it's become a total waste of time.

• Love 5

Cody said that he always went for the blonde surfer girl type. Gee, I wonder how that worked out for him.  Poor Selina. 

Andrew is a gigantic a-hole. It’s almost as if he is going out of his way to hurt Holly.  As they say on The Bachelor/ette, I don't believe he is there for the right reason. 

• Love 7

I’ve been watching, but I’m horrible with trying to remember their names, so I don't have much to type.  

let’s see…. I feel bad for the groom who got called “princess”.  I feel bad for the woman who is not attractive to her husband because she’s Asian. I love the couple where the woman had taken care of her dad for 7 years before he died, and her “husband” who had to protect his little sisters and mom from the moms bad boyfriends/husbands. I hope they work out. 

I’m not a fan of the couple who were drooling all over themselves while eating their wedding dinner. Blah.  

I’m not a fan of the Texan. 

That’s all I can remember right now. Lol. I like this version better than the US version, especially this season. 

• Love 3
On 4/25/2022 at 5:39 PM, Racj82 said:

I'm aware of all the differences. I was just saying, at its core, it's the same show. The same concept. 

Well, the title of the show would indicate the basic sameness. I enjoy the Australian and NZ versions more, though, because  of the differences. More drama, more couples, more group dynamics, just....more. 

• Love 1

Most mismatched as usual as I watched a little before falling asleep.  Hate Selin, love Anthony.  Like the girl who took care of her father, and her now husband, as they are both nice.  I feel sorry for the one who has long hair and told him she wants a baby.  Then he walks out.  Bad match.  I liked the way the show is doing new things, like the faces on paper.  Then they are showing the interviews of all of them.  Why did they put the nice cute Asian girl with that guy?  For drama?  I have to watch the whole show today as it looks very good and interesting.  Better than MAFS, American version, I’d say.  Much different.  Plus, they can leave anytime as they are not legally married.

• Love 3

Good lawd what a train wreck.

I know we are not supposed to slut shame, but since I dislike Andrew so much and he is such a giant raging jackass. 350 women?!!?

whore-arrested-development.gif

Holly, is far too nice. Yeah, I know he was missing his daughter and all,  but baking for that jackass cupcakes? Hell naw!

Pairing an Asian woman with a white man who stated a preference for blond surfy white women? A new low for the "experts." I wonder if they thought it would be ok because she dyes her hair blond and wears blue contacts? I wouldn't put it past them.

Asking couples to rate their attraction to the other wives/husbands has got to be the messiest, worst exercise EVER! That isn't smart for couples IRL let alone couples slapped together for maximum drama on this messy ass show.  Did all the couples have to do this? I noticed they only showed the ones for the couples on the shakiest grounds. MESSY! 

• Love 8
(edited)
On 5/5/2022 at 6:13 AM, LennieBriscoe said:

Well, the title of the show would indicate the basic sameness. I enjoy the Australian and NZ versions more, though, because  of the differences. More drama, more couples, more group dynamics, just....more. 

I was just answering a question. We can move on.

Something that's funny to me is how many lose/lose scenarios these couples get put in. Rating the looks of the other husband's compared to yours or vice versa? Fuck that. There really is no good to come from that.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 4/29/2022 at 6:15 PM, islandgal140 said:

Oh how I love this delicious mess! So glad it is back.

I wonder why they skipped S8

I, for one, prefer the fact that no legal marriages are taking place. I think it is crazy to alter your marital status based on "experts" on a damn TV show with an abominable track record. I'm not trusting anyone when I have to change my filing status on my tax returns.

I would rather they call it something else -- living together at first sight.   Maybe have comittment ceremonies, a six month lease. 

I just feel like there's actually much more risk, more implications with the US version. And the Aussie version, as much as I enjoy it, attracts the people that just want to be reality TV stars.

Granted, I suspect most MAF USers are just trying to up their IG#s.

Edited by Boo Boo
5 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I was just answering a question. We can move on.

Something that's funny to me is how many lose/lose scenarios these couples get put in. Rating the looks up the other husband's compared to yours or vice versa? Fuck that. There really is no good to come from that.

I couldn’t figure out the purpose of that .. maybe trying something new?  Then, watching each other’s interviews, lol.  The pretentious blonde got busted.  All in all, it was better than the previous crapfest.  What a waste asking all the other couples of past seasons their opinions of next weeks outcome.  Who cares.  So done with them.

• Love 1
(edited)

Ella and her biting of lips, tongue peeking out is not as sexy as she thinks it is.

And the blonde with the big nose (Mara?) def isn't as cute as she thinks she is.

The American who is pulling the Hilaria Baldwin Aussie cosplay is horrible. I don't believe for one second he's had as many sexual partners as he has claimed but if there's even an ounce of truth to that, I'd need a Silkwood-esque shower if I were Holly.  

Edited by Boo Boo
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

All I know is, it is VERY clear why these people are still single.  The level of baggage warrants an airport cart for every single one of them.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2