Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E15: Thomas Friedman, Dr. Cate Shanahan, and Michael Moore

• Start Topic

Ugh, you can easily predict the exact conversation Bill is gonna have with all three of those guests. 1) Bill’s weekly herd immunity tango 2) fat-shaming 3) why are those mean environmentalists picking on you?

Not today Satan.

• Love 10

I was disappointed that Bill didn't talk with Michael Moore about Planet of the Humans, which Moore produced. When I heard Moore would be on the show, I figured that would be the topic. (I was alarmed when I first saw the movie, but grew skeptical after reading reports that its info was inaccurate/outdated.) Instead, we got the familiar "Trump will never leave" spiel from Bill -- not a word about the movie.  

The other guests were pretty much what bobbyjoe figured above.

As for the final New Rule: Yeah, we get it, Bill -- Amazon BAAD! I still like it better than Walmart. (FTR: I do purchase from Amazon, but only things I can't easily get nearby.)

• Love 4

What the hell? I signed up for a clever comedy show, not an episode of Dr. Oz where someone shilling a book pushes the magic diet that cures coronavirus. "Find me a young person hospitalized with coronavirus who hasn't eaten soybean oil in five years! You can't!" It's a miracle: if I say that an ingredient you can't avoid is what's killing you, then every death proves I'm right!

Same goes for the "herd immunity" crap. You really think Denmark and Norway aren't good comparators for Sweden, but the United States is? How do you propose isolating the vulnerable in their nursing homes with no one to care for them? Are you paying attention at all?

Michael Moore was the closest thing to a bright spot in the show. I kept waiting for Bill to point out that he's fat?

Bill needs to take a good hard look at himself when he's bitching about people buying garbage they don't need on Amazon. You don't need a koi pond, either, Bill, but now we've seen that you have one, just because you feel like it. You're going to begrudge some dude who works longer hours for a lot less money relying on the convenience of home delivery?  While you are stuck in your personal Garden of Eden under the California sun? Bite me.

• Love 20

I skipped the interview with the doctor because I figured it would be more of the same as to his obsession with not eating sugar. Sounds like it was close. I did enjoy Michael Moore because he did most of the talking. And the monologue was decent. I used to look forward to this show but now I much prefer John Oliver, Hasan Minhaj, and Samantha Bee. 

• Love 7
(edited)
9 hours ago, angelamh66 said:

I skipped the interview with the doctor because I figured it would be more of the same as to his obsession with not eating sugar. Sounds like it was close. I did enjoy Michael Moore because he did most of the talking. And the monologue was decent. I used to look forward to this show but now I much prefer John Oliver, Hasan Minhaj, and Samantha Bee. 

The format is dated...and Bill keeps having people on that he agrees with. It seems to me that he is becoming more Libertarian/right wing...he has a lot of fringe medical people on who push this stupid herd immunity theory. Frankly, I don't know why anyone would watch this show anymore...I quit watching last year after he ranted for the billionth time about millianialls. He's redundant and preachy now. I like to come on the board and read about the show and read the comments. It validates my decision not to watch anymore. Bill did get some unwanted publicity this week when Rose McGowan revealed her "Me Too" moment with Bill during a taping of Politically Incorrect...now that would have made for some great discussion! And John Oliver probably has the best current events related show on TV...I never miss an episode.

Edited by BrownBear2012
  • Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, IvySpice said:

What the hell? I signed up for a clever comedy show, not an episode of Dr. Oz where someone shilling a book pushes the magic diet that cures coronavirus. "Find me a young person hospitalized with coronavirus who hasn't eaten soybean oil in five years! You can't!" It's a miracle: if I say that an ingredient you can't avoid is what's killing you, then every death proves I'm right!

Same goes for the "herd immunity" crap. You really think Denmark and Norway aren't good comparators for Sweden, but the United States is? How do you propose isolating the vulnerable in their nursing homes with no one to care for them? Are you paying attention at all?

Michael Moore was the closest thing to a bright spot in the show. I kept waiting for Bill to point out that he's fat?

Bill needs to take a good hard look at himself when he's bitching about people buying garbage they don't need on Amazon. You don't need a koi pond, either, Bill, but now we've seen that you have one, just because you feel like it. You're going to begrudge some dude who works longer hours for a lot less money relying on the convenience of home delivery?  While you are stuck in your personal Garden of Eden under the California sun? Bite me.

YES, YES, YES!!! It's so easy for Bill to ridicule average Joe America from the comforts of his mansion in Beverly Hills. I'm sure Bill was thrilled to get his big tax cut.

Edited by BrownBear2012
  • Love 4

I did agree with Bill and the doctor regarding the demonization of cholesterol.  A couple of years ago, scientists admitted that they are just guessing on the guidelines of what is a healthy range for  your cholesterol numbers.   They don't know!  They don't even know if cholesterol is a cause or effect of heart disease!  It pisses me off to no end because they force statins on people to lower their cholesterol but they don't even know whether the numbers are important or what they should be. 

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, izabella said:

I did agree with Bill and the doctor regarding the demonization of cholesterol.  A couple of years ago, scientists admitted that they are just guessing on the guidelines of what is a healthy range for  your cholesterol numbers.   They don't know!  They don't even know if cholesterol is a cause or effect of heart disease!  It pisses me off to no end because they force statins on people to lower their cholesterol but they don't even know whether the numbers are important or what they should be. 

Right!  Everything she, and he is saying is true. And it’s insane that we have been eating this way for so long, using incorrect information.

• Love 2
(edited)

I was thinking the same thing.   My grandmother, who ate fatty pork every day of her life, lived to be 89.  She didn't like chicken or beef, but pork chops, pork roast, etc. was her thing, cooked in lard, of course, and the fatter, the better.  And she snacked on cracklins.  For anyone who doesn't know what that is, you deep fry pork belly and the cracklins float to the top.  You skim them off and refry them.  I haven't had any any decades (extremely high in calories!), but they're delicious.  Anyway, I don't think my grandmother knew what her cholesterol levels were.  I will say this--she exercised every day of her life.  Into her seventies, she was still walking a half-mile a day.  She only quit because her knee wore out.

I remember Dr. Weil saying the two foods you should never eat are margarine and high-fructose corn syrup.  I still eat margarine only because it's fewer calories than butter.

I have a feeling 50 years from now, people will be saying, "People were so ignorant 50 years ago--eating preservatives, food dyes, seed oils, etc.  Didn't they know how dangerous that was?"  It'll be like what we say now about people not knowing in the past how germs spread.  Surgeons operated without washing their hands or their instruments between surgeries.  How could they do that, we say now?  In the future, we'll look like the dummies.

I still like Bill.  Yes, he's a curmudgeon, but he's our curmudgeon.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 5
(edited)

I actually shut it off not long into the interview with the doctor.  Bill is using this shelter in home format to get on his soap box every week and grace us with his views on how and what we eat, how we live, etc.  It began during the Tom Friedman interview and went on in the second interview.  I'm tired of hearing it every week.  Bill needs the live guest and panel format to keep him in line. Without it's become "why I believe everything is caused by.."

Edited by cali1981
  • Love 9

The interview segment looked like he was in the studio, with good lighting and his hair and makeup lookin like it did when he was owing the regular shows.

But he wasn’t cleaned up for the openin monologue?

So he either goes into the studio for some segments or some of the production staff and equipment go out to him.

Too bad they don’t try to get the panel working but some of the video from his guests look and sound poor.

(edited)
7 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Right!  Everything she, and he is saying is true. And it’s insane that we have been eating this way for so long, using incorrect information.

Though I was expecting mostly pesco-vegetarian Bill to question her real ANIMAL fat instead of processed "vegetable" oil recommendations.  She's right.

He did finally acknowledge that even thin people can be metabolically screwed up due to eating junk.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 2

I started watching Bill back in the 90's when Politically Incorrect was on Comedy Central. I just feel that the past few years he has become increasingly opinionated and kind of mean. 

I think I started to get annoyed with his increasing mocking dismissal of anyone who has any religious beliefs at all.  I totally understand why someone would choose to be an atheist, and I respect that choice.  And while I do not agree with anyone pushing their religious agenda on others, and especially hate the mixing of religion and politics, there are plenty of believers who mind their own business but still find comfort in their faith.  I think they deserve the same respect for their beliefs.

The obsession with obesity is also getting old.  It is true that the American diet is not the best, and we do have a lot of people with weight issues.  But it isn't the cause of every single disease known to man.  And when someone who evidently has never had to worry about gaining a few pounds goes on and on about it I start to tune him out.

The whole "Trump won't leave" spiel is also getting old.  I am no fan of the President, but that kind of fear mongering just adds fuel to the fire.

I do think Bill needs a panel to keep him in check.  I miss my favourite- David Frum, he is always a voice of reason.

• Love 8

I stopped watching years ago even though Real Time was must see for me at one time. The next level narcissism and arrogance for him to get angry at his audience when they don't laugh at his jokes made me stop and I haven't returned. I always believed that if it is funny the audience will laugh even if it is about vegetarians, obese or Trump.

• Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I was thinking the same thing.   My grandmother, who ate fatty pork every day of her life, lived to be 89.  She didn't like chicken or beef, but pork chops, pork roast, etc. was her thing, cooked in lard, of course, and the fatter, the better.  And she snacked on cracklins.  For anyone who doesn't know what that is, you deep fry pork belly and the cracklins float to the top.  You skim them off and refry them.  I haven't had any any decades (extremely high in calories!), but they're delicious.  Anyway, I don't think my grandmother knew what her cholesterol levels were.  I will say this--she exercised every day of her life.  Into her seventies, she was still walking a half-mile a day.  She only quit because her knee wore out.

I remember Dr. Weil saying the two foods you should never eat are margarine and high-fructose corn syrup.  I still eat margarine only because it's fewer calories than butter.

I have a feeling 50 years from now, people will be saying, "People were so ignorant 50 years ago--eating preservatives, food dyes, seed oils, etc.  Didn't they know how dangerous that was?"  It'll be like what we say now about people not knowing in the past how germs spread.  Surgeons operated without washing their hands or their instruments between surgeries.  How could they do that, we say now?  In the future, we'll look like the dummies.

I still like Bill.  Yes, he's a curmudgeon, but he's our curmudgeon.

And my grandparents ate fresh garden grown vegetables and fruits...but they also ate Wonder Bread, lots of red meat and Crisco laden baked goods. And guess what, both had heart disease and strokes. Their cholestorel levels were through the roof and were put on strict low sodium, low fat diets...sadly, my grandfather never did get his cholesterol levels down and he died of heart attack at 80. My grandmother stopped baking and ate leaner meat and more vegetables...she lost weight and lived to 91. For some it's in genes...some families have a genetic link to heart disease and high cholesterol...and they need to monitor what they put in their bodies. Others can drink and eat whatever they want and never have problems and live until they're past 90. Now the fructose corn syrup thing is a real problem. It is in almost anything you see at the store and it can cause obesity and a whole host of other things. 

Edited by BrownBear2012

I think I'm done with this show, at least until he is back in the studio with a panel. Some people can do the at home show thing and some can't. Bill can't. Plus he only seems to booking people who are telling him what he wants to hear. He's always done this, but when is it one on one it becomes much more apparent.

• Love 10

I thought it was one of Bill's better "at home" shows. He let the guests talk more and there was less interrupting. I agree with diet lady. And Moore seemed calmer --maybe he getting some needed rest. 

• Love 3

There were some good guests this time.  I'm a fan of Thomas Freidman and have been since reading The Lexus and the Olive Tree for a college class (yikes, almost 20 years ago). I want to say that I miss the panels but they've been so ridiculous the last few years, I really don't. 

I was a little surprised though when Bill acknowledged that his diet pronouncements could be seen as elitist. (Ya think?)  And I'm actually a proponent of microbiome research, healthy fats and all the rest. 

• Love 2

Well, not to burst Dr Cate and Bill’s bubbles (much at least), BUT you know who eats a lot of olive oil and still got Covid and died?  Italians, French and Spanish.  And supposedly the Europeans are healthier because they eat less sugar and more fish.  And they still had a lot of deaths.  So....yeah.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Hanahope said:

Well, not to burst Dr Cate and Bill’s bubbles (much at least), BUT you know who eats a lot of olive oil and still got Covid and died?  Italians, French and Spanish.  And supposedly the Europeans are healthier because they eat less sugar and more fish.  And they still had a lot of deaths.  So....yeah.

Yes, she basically said that it was almost impossible to find anyone who wasn't eating the wrong oils, so why would it be significant if all the young people who got very sick ate the wrong oils? Wouldn't all the young people who didn't get sick also have been eating these oils?

It just seemed ironic that she was talking about how diets come in fads without noticing that her own focus wasn't that different--doesn't mean she was completely wrong in what she was saying, of course, but it's still a new trend.

And yes, not too helpful to be told that we all need to eat differently even though it's impossible to eat differently. Great advice!

• Love 3

I am finding that more and more Bill is guilty of everything he rants that Fox News does.

His story about Amazon undercutting its price of diapers at a loss to them just to crush  diapers.com just sounded wrong to me, because that is illegal in this country.

Just a quick internet search brought up a much more complicated story than Bill was selling.  

Fact:  Amazon bought Quidsi, a Jersey City-based company which owned diapers.com and other retail sites, in 2010-2011 in a $545 million-dollar deal.  

Fact: diapers.com was shut down in 2017

There are different sides and sensationalism from there.  Amazon says it spent 6-7 years trying to build the sites it bought from Quidsi into profitability, and found it was better to shut it down and put their investment elsewhere.

Amazon's opponents say Bezos just wanted all along to put the whole thing out of business.

Sounds like there's much more complication to it all than what Bill was saying.  He needs better writers.

• Love 1
(edited)

Those retailers Bill mentioned have been floundering for years and most were already on their way out  - the pandemic may have hastened it, but their fates were already sealed.

While some businesses and individuals have indeed been struggling, Bill is grossly overstating both how bad the shutdowns have affected the country's overall economic health, and how much Amazon is taking away from brick and mortar retailers. A quick trip to the local Walmart, Target, Costco, or TJ Maxx will show him that Americans are still shopping in person, and in droves.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 1