Type keyword(s) to search

Daily Planet Dispatches: News and Media

• Start Topic

(edited)

The 2021 Critics Choice Awards will be airing tonight (March 7) on The CW - look at who are scheduled to be presenters...
https://www.criticschoice.com/critics-choice-awards/

How To Watch The 26th Annual Critics Choice Awards
By Patrick Hipes   March 7, 2021
https://deadline.com/2021/03/how-to-watch-2021-critics-choice-awards-1234706886/

The 26th annual Critics Choice Awards are set for Sunday in a hybrid virtual and in-person program, with Taye Diggs returning to host for the third consecutive year.

Opting for a mix of on-site and virtual appearances due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, the Critics Choice awards will see presenters announce winners live from the Barker Hanger in Santa Monica, and nominees joining virtually from different parts of the world. The three-hour awards ceremony will air from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. ET/PT on The CW.
Presenters are Kevin Bacon, Angela Bassett, Mayim Bialik, Orlando Bloom, Phoebe Dynevor, Morgan Freeman, Gal Gadot, Jim Gaffigan, Tony Hale, Chelsea Handler, Justin Hartley, Chris Hemsworth, Tyler Hoechlin, Jameela Jamil, Leslie Jordan, Javicia Leslie, Eva Longoria, Chrissy Metz, Mads Mikkelsen, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Jared Padalecki, Ashley Park, Kyra Sedgwick, Yara Shahidi, Elizabeth Tulloch, Courtney B. Vance, John David Washington, Catherine Zeta-Jones.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

TH and ET presenting during last night's Critics Choice Awards on The CW...

Tyler Hoechlin and Bitsie Tulloch - 26th Critics' Choice Awards
Nico A     Mar 8, 2021

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Superman & Lois Accidentally Creates A Smallville Plot Hole Post-Crisis
BY NICHOLAS RAYMOND     MARCH 7, 2021
https://screenrant.com/superman-lois-smallville-kent-farm-crisis-plot-hole/

Crisis on Infinite Earths famously brought a number of DC TV shows and movies into the Arrrowverse through some exciting cameos. Two of the biggest came from Tom Welling and Erica Durance, who played Clark Kent and Lois Lane, respectively, on the Superman prequel series. During Crisis, Iris (Candace Patton), Superman (Tyler Hoechlin), and Lois (Elizabeth Tulloch) visited Smallville’s Earth and met Clark on the Kent Farm. While there, they found out that, sometime after becoming Superman, Clark made the decision to give up all of his Kryptonian powers so that he could start a family with Lois. Offscreen, his world – along with all other Earths in the multiverse – was wiped out by the Anti-Monitor and his anti-matter waves. It, unfortunately, wasn’t revived when the multiverse was rebooted.
Then-Arrowverse producer Marc Guggenheim explained that, though Smallville’s Earth is gone, Clark is still alive. Guggenheim has confirmed that Crisis on Infinite Earths didn’t undo Smallville's new ending, and that Clark and Lois are still living happily, just as they were in their cameos [TV Line]. It appears that the two were moved to Earth-Prime, which is now the new home of all the Arrowverse shows, while the other Earths are reserved for the active DC shows outside the Arrowverse. Of course, the big issue with him being on Earth-Prime is that he would have to share it with Hoechlin’s Kal-El. With that in mind, it’s not clear how that can work, especially since Clark moved the family back to Smallville in the Superman & Lois series premiere.
Batwoman showrunner Dries believes that, in this case, it would work for there to be two versions of the same person on Earth-Prime [via TV Guide]. That’s because unlike Hoechlin’s character, Tom Welling’s Clark Kent has walked away from being Superman and is now focusing on being both a father and a farmer on the Kent Farm with his wife and children. Meanwhile, the Arrowverse’s Last Son of Krypton was living a totally separate life as the Man of Steel. Superman & Lois, however, has complicated that situation by taking the main characters to the Kent Farm, which obviously isn’t being inhabited by Smallville’s Clark.

This post-Crisis plot hole raises more questions about how Clark and Lois could have survived the Crisis. His survival has been officially confirmed, but it’s clear at this point that whatever happy ending he’s having, it can’t be the same one he had before Crisis on Infinite Earths. He’s not on the Kent Farm, which means he must be somewhere on the planet. Perhaps living in a city or town that’s somewhere far-removed from Superman’s corner of Earth-Prime is the only way that he and Tyler Hoechlin’s character can both exist on the same planet.

Edited by tv echo

Q&A: Elizabeth 'Bitsie' Tulloch on a more grown-up 'Superman & Lois'
by jmaloni   Mar 9th 2021 
Behind the Screens with Joshua Maloni
https://www.wnypapers.com/news/article/featured/2021/03/09/145709/qa-elizabeth-bitsie-tulloch-on-a-more-grown-up-superman-lois

Tulloch recently chatted with BTS, offering her take on the show and its interpretation of the Superman story. An edited Q&A follows.
Q: So I'm digging the series. I'm really digging the show. Congratulations on the first two episodes. Something that I wasn't expecting: What do we think about Superman with the five o'clock shadow?
Elizabeth Tulloch:
(Laughs) Tyler fought for that really hard. And I think it was good. We're not seeing this, like, young, you know, naive version of Clark Kent and Superman; we're seeing a dad – and I think it makes sense that someone who, in addition to all of his Superman duties, also maybe like doesn't have time to shave all the time.

Q: I Like it; makes a lot of sense. Obviously, this is a different version of the Superman-Lois story, and certainly we've seen you and we've seen Tyler appear throughout the “Arrowverse.” But what appealed to you about taking these characters steps further into their own actual series?
Elizabeth Tulloch:
I think, for both of us, it was the fact that the series was going to be centered more on the family drama aspect of it. And I do feel like, ultimately, the main goal – and why we would hopefully be on air for years – is people fall in love with the characters and get really, really heavily invested in the relationships themselves. And this show seems to really be more about that. When Todd Helbing sat down to dinner with me and Tyler to sort of pitch his idea for it, it was more of a “Friday Night Lights” with elements of Superman and Lois Lane, but it was always really more about the family drama. As actors, that was really appealing to us.
Q: How important was it to you – or was it important to you – or perhaps how nice is it for you that Superman and Lois Lane have equal billing in this series?
Elizabeth Tulloch:
I'd never really thought – I don't really have that much of an ego about it, in the sense that I feel like you're asking. I think it's great. I feel like, you know, it's 2021 – they're both as equally important as parents and in their relationship. And I think you'll see more and more of Lois proving that she is as much of a superhero in her own right.

But I think … it was always supposed to be sort of equal billing … and they take up as much room in their relationship as the other one, and as much room on screen.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

More statements from former writer Nadria Tucker, but also statements from WB in this new article: 'Nadria Tucker Discusses 'Seemingly Out of Nowhere' Dismissal From Superman & Lois Writers' Room and WB Investigation'

Also notes other issues with diversity going on at Warner Bros.

“After Ms. Tucker’s initial contract term on Superman & Lois concluded, Warner Bros. Television did not exercise its option to extend her for additional episodes,” Warner Bros. Television wrote in a statement to The Root. “Contrary to reports, she was not fired; options are standard with writer agreements and not always extended. As she has stated publicly, WBTV was transparent and told her why it was not picking up her option. Any accusation or implication that the decision was motivated by any other factor is categorically false. After her public statements, WBTV conducted a climate survey with the writing staff about their work environment, which revealed that healthy discussions about all creative matters, including increasing diversity, have always been welcome in the show’s writers’ room. We are very proud of the diverse team that is bringing this new Superman & Lois story to the screen.”

“No matter how many Black, Asian, disabled or gay writers you hire, if you don’t listen to them, it’s pointless,” Tucker, who has also publicly stated that she was not the only Black writer or writer of color in the Superman & Lois writers’ room, noted. “That’s what it comes down to. People are packing their rooms with writers who are ‘diversity hires’ who come through these diversity programs that the studios and networks have. That’s a great way for shows to highlight that they have some diversity in the writers’ rooms. But those people are frequently brought on as staff writers, which is the lowest level of writer. They basically have zero experience and they tend to be not listened to as often as upper-level writers.”

Edited by Trini
23 minutes ago, Trini said:

More statements from former writer Nadria Tucker, but also statements from WB in this new article: 'Nadria Tucker Discusses 'Seemingly Out of Nowhere' Dismissal From Superman & Lois Writers' Room and WB Investigation'

Also note other issues with diversity going on at Warner Bros.

So it sounds like she was fired because she made public complaints about her bosses?  Sounds to me that if she was going to publicise her complaints and tweets then she should have been prepared for consequences.  I don't know of any workplace where an employee can publicly criticise a boss or employer and not expect some sort of discipline or firing.

As far as her complaints about diversity... I hear her.  The optics didn't look good for the only two black characters to be villains.  But the football player ex-boyfriend seems to be getting along fine with Jordan now and now that he's no longer the boyfriend maybe he won't be written as an antagonist.  They are teammates and I thought he seemed to show Jordan some respect last episode.  And there are other minorities in town now as we have seen.  There is a black female student who we will hopefully see more of.  There was the Asian male student who was getting some kind of powers.  I am pretty sure that Kyle Cushing is supposed to be Hispanic (or perhaps part-Hispanic)... the actor is Hispanic and the character called his daughter "mija".  So the daughters are at least part-Hispanic and I would say even look more Hispanic than he does.

So bottom line is that I think Tucker's observations and complaints are valid... I just don't think it was a good move for her to go about it the way she did.

5 hours ago, blackwing said:

So it sounds like she was fired because she made public complaints about her bosses?  Sounds to me that if she was going to publicise her complaints and tweets then she should have been prepared for consequences.  I don't know of any workplace where an employee can publicly criticise a boss or employer and not expect some sort of discipline or firing.

That's not what happened. She was let go, and then she spoke out about it.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Trini said:

That's not what happened. She was let go, and then she spoke out about it.

Ah, thank you for the clarification.  I had thought she was publicly complaining and then was fired for it.  It seems she was fired and then complained, in which case, I don't blame her.

I know there was a long break, but it's surprising that the show went down so much. I think that's the first time it's been lower than lead-in Flash in the demo.

(edited)

In The HBO Max DC Era, It’s Time For The CW’s Arrowverse To End
Paul Tassi   May 23, 2021
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2021/05/23/in-the-hbo-max-dc-era-its-time-for-the-cws-arrowverse-to-end/?sh=45531cf5315b 

And the one show that is actually pretty good in the Arrowverse right now is Superman and Lois, but it’s sort of emblematic of what I’m talking about here. That show has a way higher production budget than these others, better writing and a more grounded tone. Here’s David Ramsey, former Arrow actor, on the difference between directing Superman and Lois and episodes of these other series:

“You’re floating between three anamorphic lenses, to get that aspect ratio – that’s the technical stuff — and it’s just a different pace. Tonally, it’s a different pace.

I don’t think it’s a small secret that it’s a family show that has Superman in it, and you feel that. You feel that in the scope, in the way it’s shot, you feel that in the writing, and obviously in the performances. And that’s not taking away anything from the other shows. It’s just a different type of pace, and a different look.”
But…it is taking away from those other shows. Seeing how much better these series could be if they were taking cues from Superman and Lois makes them feel even worse by comparison in their current iterations. Superman and Lois has more or less divorced itself from the Arrowverse entirely, even though those characters were born there, and it’s only served to help it thrive.

Edited by tv echo
On 5/25/2021 at 1:53 PM, paulvdb said:

The CW Fall 2021-22 Schedule

Superman & Lois season 2 will get a midseason premiere.

I am puzzled at this decision... isn't S&L supposed to be one of the CW's premiere shows now?  I'd say it's far and away the best of the Arrowverse shows.  Why shelve it until midseason?

I would have put S&L on the fall schedule and keep Batwoman for midseason, but unfortunately I think the simple answer is that this show is not as woke as Batwoman.

• Love 1

I was surprised too, but I imagine COVID might still be having an impact in even a small way on production, and, if it doesn’t start til Jan/Feb, there mightn’t be as big gaps in between each episode?  Just a guess.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I am puzzled at this decision... isn't S&L supposed to be one of the CW's premiere shows now?  I'd say it's far and away the best of the Arrowverse shows.  Why shelve it until midseason?

I would have put S&L on the fall schedule and keep Batwoman for midseason, but unfortunately I think the simple answer is that this show is not as woke as Batwoman.

Don't know what you mean by "woke", but you really think that factors into scheduling?? How does that work?

It's probably production schedules; the show has already had to shut down at least once. They most likely want as many episodes produced so that CW can air them without big hiatuses in the middle of the season like what happened this year.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

Because it takes time to film Superman and Lois, due to more post production they have to do. They had to add in an unexpected hiatus because they were several episodes behind schedule, so I think having S&L come back midseason allows them to NOT have to have a two month delay again if they get behind for whatever reason. They're still filming THIS current season, after all, so having them not come back until January/February allows them to space out filming and post production schedules better.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Because it takes time to film Superman and Lois, due to more post production they have to do. They had to add in an unexpected hiatus because they were several episodes behind schedule, so I think having S&L come back midseason allows them to NOT have to have a two month delay again if they get behind for whatever reason. They're still filming THIS current season, after all, so having them not come back until January/February allows them to space out filming and post production schedules better.

Yeah. Kind of bummed to hear about a mid-season premiere, but I also think it has to do with need for more post-production (CGI, etc). The show looks good, and I guess that takes time. I can live with the delayed premiere if it means there won't be too many gaps between episodes. 

• Love 1
On 5/26/2021 at 3:04 PM, blackwing said:

unfortunately I think the simple answer is that this show is not as woke as Batwoman.

Whatever... 😒

Simple answer? Sure.

Correct answer based in anything other than your preconceived bias? I doubt it....

(edited)

The show’s writers assistant, Adam Mallinger, blogs about how long Wolé Parks has been playing secret John Henry Irons: basically from the second episode on. That is, the creators wrote the pilot with someone in armor who the armor’s AI called “Luthor” but were open to the staff pitching who it could be, and they ended up going with Steel. And it was Mallinger’s pitch too, which is cool too esp because not all writers rooms really respect their assistants.

(typically a show’s pilot is written by one person (or two in a writing team) and if the show is picked up, that’s when they get the budget to hire a whole staff of writers.)

Edited by arc
  • Useful 1

I have a question about the schedule. Is the show going on another five week hiatus soon? 

Because there's only 15 episodes this season. And I see scheduled episodes until June 22nd, which would take us to episode 11.

But the finale is supposed to air on August 17th. So there's going to be four new episodes over the next two months? 

That sounds to me like there's going to be another big break in here somewhere. Which would be such a huge mistake, considering what the last one did to its ratings. Why is the CW scheduling their shows so badly?

• Love 1

Based on thefutoncritic.com's schedule we are getting four weeks of repeats. I personally don't like all those breaks either, but I guess Covid-related production issues are the cause and the alternative would have been a single even longer break.

(edited)

Should Superman & Lois Have Gone Splat? Does Blacklist Need a Clue? Did Fear TWD Cheat Nukes? And More Qs!
By Vlada Gelman, Matt Webb Mitovich, Michael Ausiello, Dave Nemetz, Rebecca Iannucci, Ryan Schwartz, Nick Caruso, Mekeisha Madden Toby and Charlie Mason / June 18 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/06/18/superman-and-lois-episode-10-clark-saves-eradicated-people-tv-questions/

13 | On Superman & Lois, wouldn’t all of the “eradicated” people have plummeted miles to the ground, with a splat, after Superman took their powers away mid-flight?

Edited by tv echo
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Tyler Hoechlin will be a guest at this upcoming live (non-virtual) comic con at the Raleigh Convention Center in North Carolina (Sat. & Sun. only)...

GalaxyCon Raleigh, July 29-August 1, 2021 
https://galaxycon.com/blogs/raleigh-celebrity/tyler-hoechlin

This live appearance is in conjunction with his virtual appearance that same weekend...

GalaxyCon's Tyler Hoechlin Virtual Experience, July 31-August 1, 2021
https://galaxycon.com/blogs/30/july-30-hoechlin

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Superman & Lois is one of the nominees for Best Broadcast Network Series, Drama...

HOLLYWOOD CRITICS ASSOCIATION ANNOUNCES FULL LIST OF NOMINATIONS FOR THE INAUGURAL HCA TV AWARDS 
https://hollywoodcriticsassociation.com/ted-lasso-the-handmaids-tale-and-zoeys-extraordinary-playlist-lead-inaugural-hca-tv-awards-nominations/ 

Thursday, July 8, 2021 (Los Angeles, CA) – Ghostbusters: Afterlife’s Mckenna Grace and Home Before Dark’s Brooklynn Prince announced the complete list of nominees for the 1st Annual HCA TV Awards via a live stream earlier today on the organization’s official YouTube Channel. 
The Inaugural HCA TV Awards ceremony will be held at the Avalon Hollywood in Los Angeles on August 22, 2021. 
Best Broadcast Network Series, Drama (6)
Big Sky (ABC)
Law & Order: Organized Crime (NBC)
New Amsterdam (NBC)
Superman & Lois (The CW)
The Good Doctor (ABC)
This Is Us (NBC)

Edited by tv echo
(edited)
7 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

The show gets nominated, but not one nomination in any of the acting categories? How is that possible?

Bitsy’s miscarriage episode absolutely should have been recognized. 

Edited by ahisma
Autocorrect is bad at names
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 6/21/2021 at 9:17 AM, tv echo said:

Tyler Hoechlin will be a guest at this upcoming live (non-virtual) comic con at the Raleigh Convention Center in North Carolina (Sat. & Sun. only)...

GalaxyCon Raleigh, July 29-August 1, 2021 
https://galaxycon.com/blogs/raleigh-celebrity/tyler-hoechlin

This live appearance is in conjunction with his virtual appearance that same weekend...

GalaxyCon's Tyler Hoechlin Virtual Experience, July 31-August 1, 2021

Like (TV) father, like (TV) son...

Alexander Garfin will also be doing a virtual solo panel for GalaxyCon Virtual Experiences and making a live guest appearance at GalaxyCon Raleigh that same weekend.

AlexanderGarfin-Article_image.jpg

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

UPDATE: Elizabeth Tulloch will be joining Tyler Hoechlin and Alexander Garfin in appearing as a guest both virtually and live at GalaxyCon Raleigh the weekend of July 31-August 1...
https://galaxycon.com/blogs/30/july-31-tulloch
https://galaxycon.com/blogs/raleigh-celebrity/elizabeth-bitsie-tulloch

GalaxyCon Raleigh, July 31-August 1, 2021 (live, main stage Q&A, Raleigh Convention Center, NC)
Tyler Hoechlin, Elizabeth Tulloch and Alexander Garfin
https://galaxycon.com/blogs/raleigh-celebrity/elizabeth-bitsie-tulloch

GalaxyCon's Tyler Hoechlin Virtual Experience, July 31-August 1, 2021 (live-stream)

GalaxyCon's Elizabeth Tulloch Virtual Experience, July 31-August 1, 2021 (live-stream)
https://galaxycon.com/blogs/30/july-31-tulloch

GalaxyCon's Alexander Garfin Virtual Experience, July 31-August 1, 2021 (live-stream)
https://galaxycon.com/blogs/30/july-31-garfin

Edited by tv echo

Superman & Lois: The Complete First Season

Superman-Lois-BD-Boxart2.jpeg?q=50&fit=c

The Blu-ray will retail for $29.98 and the DVD for $24.98 on Oct. 19.

The series will also be available to own digitally on Aug. 20.

This will include the extended cuts of all 15 episodes of the first season in 1080p Full HD.

There will be four special featurettes: "Superman: Alien Spirit," "Superman and Lois: Legacy of Hope," "Never Alone: Heroes and Allies" and the DC FanDome panel for the series.

From Superman & Lois panel at Saturday's GalaxyCon Raleigh...

Superman and Lois Panel at Galaxy Con in Raleigh
Jeff Maddock   Jul 31, 2021

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1