Type keyword(s) to search

Daily Planet Dispatches: News and Media

• Start Topic

33 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

Definitely wow. Variety reports that it’s not a workplace-related issue. I liked the actor in the role quite a bit. Jon’s chill yet not chill attitude towards everything was fun to watch

ETA: According to comments in the article, Jordan has been open about struggling with his mental health and has apparently been seeking help in the past couple of months

Edited by DanaK
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I hope he gets the correct help and support. If he truly didn't feel capable of working it was probably a good idea to quit now rather than try and make it though the season and end up in worse shape both personally and professionally. 

The Deadline article at one point says: 

There is also conflicting information whether Elsass left or was let go.

And that instead of letting them know beforehand he simply didn't show up in Vancouver which triggered the decision to recast. So I guess he notified them after not showing up and maybe not showing up triggered the producers to decide to recast rather than leave it open? 

Either way I hope everything works out for all parties, he will be a tough act to follow. 

• Love 1

I’m not surprised at this at all. I hope he’s ok but A lot of the stuff he posted in the last year relating to covid and vaccines etc makes me think he could have been a conflicting personality to work with. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I’m not surprised at this at all. I hope he’s ok but A lot of the stuff he posted in the last year relating to covid and vaccines etc makes me think he could have been a conflicting personality to work with. 

Oh, is he an anti-vaxxer?

Sounds like there may have been more than a few warning signs of this - just speculating, but maybe that’s why Jon’s role was kinda minimised in Season 2, barring his Bizarro self - just my own opinion.

I'm disappointed in this news, I liked this actor so much more than the actor who plays Jordan.  As always when things like this happen, there is always a vague non-explanation about why he is not returning.  Which leads to lots of speculation.  So it seems either 1) he has mental health issues and left so he can work on them, 2) he was fired because he is an anti-vaxxer, 3) he was fired because he is difficult.

Whatever the reason was, I wish him well.  I do think it must have been tough seeing that his onscreen brother was given all the powers, while his character was just ordinary.  Which is why it was so great seeing Jon El and why I was disappointed that Jonathan didn't somehow merge or gain powers at the end of the season.  Sounds like they are going to increase Jonathan's role this season, whether that means he gets powers or a suit or something else, will be curious to see.

• Applause 1

Jordan is the worst so I don’t love that development.

1 hour ago, diebartdie said:

Oh, is he an anti-vaxxer?

I think he had a medical condition that prevented him from getting the vaccine but his instagram at one point was a lot of talking about the vaccine/Covid in general and how he didn’t agree with a lot of the covid controls in place and I remember at the time Being surprised his stories didn’t catch the attention of the media as it was around the time in covid where actors who appeared as anti vax we’re getting fired for mouthing off. 

I ended up unfollowing him as I didn’t really like him and didn’t want to end up hating Jonathan but I had a feeling - whether it was his personality or whatever he was saying - that I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up sacked.

Edited by Avabelle
  • Useful 3
5 hours ago, blackwing said:

I'm disappointed in this news, I liked this actor so much more than the actor who plays Jordan.  As always when things like this happen, there is always a vague non-explanation about why he is not returning.  Which leads to lots of speculation.  So it seems either 1) he has mental health issues and left so he can work on them, 2) he was fired because he is an anti-vaxxer, 3) he was fired because he is difficult.

I mean it could have been a mix of all three plus other issues we aren't aware of. He may well genuinely struggling with personal issues that mean working right now is unwise (since he is probably in a position to be able to afford to make that choice), he may have refused to obey covid quarantine protocols (that was the deadline he missed ie a national requirement) and that he has been difficult or "difficult" about that and other stuff so when he failed to show up the producers were "happy to accept his decision" and move on without trying to keep the part open. 

Normally these days if an actor needs to leave for mental health reasons and does so in a professional way, there's generally speaking much less of this kind of speculation doing on in trade pieces themselves and more of a firm "this is what happened" narrative. 

Edited by Featherhat
4 hours ago, Avabelle said:

Jordan is the worst so I don’t love that development.

I feel so mean because my initial reaction to hearing the news was, "No!  Why couldn't it have been Jordan?"  

Wish the actor all the best.  Curious who they're going to get to replace him.  Hope it's someone taller because it's kinda been bothering me from day one that Superman's kids are so short.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

If this was purely a mental health issue then I would have expected the show to at least try to give him a reason to be absent in the short term (Jonathan is trapped in the Phantom Zone, or something like that) in the hope that he'd be able to come back, and then recast if that proved impossible.   Or maybe he decided that working on a show would just be too much, and didn't want to string anyone along.

Edited by cambridgeguy

What really surprising to me about this recasting news is that it seems even more sudden than the Ruby Rose situation with Batwoman. Filming for Season 3 starts in a few weeks, and it sounds like they were expecting him to return up until very recently. When China Anne McClain left Black Lightning, she had given the show notice beforehand, so they were able to make the actress change part of the story. Seems like S&L isn't going to have much time to change scripts*, at least for the first few episodes. (Not to mention all the other changes that come with a new actor.)

*(Assuming that they acknowledge Jon's new face in the narrative -- I'm guessing they don't.)

2 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

I feel so mean because my initial reaction to hearing the news was, "No!  Why couldn't it have been Jordan?"  

Wish the actor all the best.  Curious who they're going to get to replace him.  Hope it's someone taller because it's kinda been bothering me from day one that Superman's kids are so short.

This has driven me mad since the show started. The kids are so short. It’s distracting. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

I’m sad to see him go. I’m hoping that a recast has a stronger resemblance to his family. Jordan had his parents’ coloring with the darker hair, but Jonathan didn’t resemble his parents as much. Maybe someone with darker hair to resemble both his parents and his twin. 

• Love 1

Video clips from Tyler Hoechlin & Bitsie Tulloch's Saturday (Aug. 27) panel at Fan Expo Canada (Toronto)...

Is Superman boring? Tyler Hoechlin (Superman & Lois) argues no I Fan Expo Canada clip
Brief Take   Aug 29, 2022

Tyler Hoechlin hadn't seen other Superman portrayals but loved Crisis on Infinite Earths I Fan Expo

What makes Superman & Lois' Elizabeth Tulloch always laugh on set? I Fan Expo Canada clip

Will Supergirl Melissa Benoist return to Superman & Lois? Elizabeth Tulloch answers I Fan Expo clip

Maybe it is just me but the casting of the small slight looking kids for the roles of Superman's kids bugs me.  Maybe it is that way in some comic I am unaware of but I find it hard to believe with the  genetics involved they would be so tiny in comparison to Superman.  I don't know why it bugs but it does.

I am 6'3" and my ex was same height as Bitsie.  My son is over 6ft and my daughter is 5'11".  My dad was 6'5" and my brother is 6'2" I know genetics are weird and don't always translate but with Kryptonian genetics you would think the kids would be bigger. Not just in height but frame. 

I still enjoy the performances but the eye test takes me out sometimes.

• Useful 1

After looking up Michael Bishop and watching some clips of him, I'm convinced he'll be fine as the new Jon. Actually, to be completely honest, after comparing pictures of him and Alex, they look a lot alike. To me at least they could pass more as twins but that's just my opinion.

Judge for yourself:

0D8A7110_v1-scaled.jpg

Screen-Shot-2022-09-07-at-3.34.36-PM.jpg

Edited by madhacker
added pictures of Michael
16 hours ago, Unclejosh said:

Maybe it is just me but the casting of the small slight looking kids for the roles of Superman's kids bugs me. 

I haven’t kept up with the show since s1, but I remember the sons were supposed to be like 14 or 15 in universe at the time. It is functionally hard to cast 14 yo actors for TV regular roles because of limits on filming times for kids, so shows will more often just cast smallish 18+ actors to play younger and just accept that the actors aren’t likely to have much more growing to do over the next few years of the show.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 9/8/2022 at 12:34 PM, Unclejosh said:

Maybe it is just me but the casting of the small slight looking kids for the roles of Superman's kids bugs me.  Maybe it is that way in some comic I am unaware of but I find it hard to believe with the  genetics involved they would be so tiny in comparison to Superman.  I don't know why it bugs but it does.

I am 6'3" and my ex was same height as Bitsie.  My son is over 6ft and my daughter is 5'11".  My dad was 6'5" and my brother is 6'2" I know genetics are weird and don't always translate but with Kryptonian genetics you would think the kids would be bigger. Not just in height but frame. 

I still enjoy the performances but the eye test takes me out sometimes.

I assume they want them to look young longer. 

The CW’s Future Under Nexstar: Focus on Affiliates, Profits and Cheaper Originals
BY LESLEY GOLDBERG   OCTOBER 4, 2022
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/the-cw-nexstar-future-profits-and-cheaper-originals-1235232779/

The changes arrive as Nexstar CEO Perry Sook and newly installed CW president Dennis Miller (no, not that one) plan to make the network profitable by 2025 with programming that targets a broad audience of adults 18-49. (The CW’s median age on its linear network is 58, but the age of its digital audience is late 20s to early 30s.) Sources say Nexstar plans to focus on The CW’s linear schedule and become more affiliate-friendly. Sook and Miller are said to be fans of such broad CW fare as Jared Padalecki’s Walker franchise, Greg Berlanti’s Superman & Lois and the family-focused Kung Fu. All three shows were among the few series to earn early renewals in March, ahead of The CW’s May cancellation spree that left it with 11 scripted originals — the same tally Pedowitz inherited when he took over the network in 2011.

From SDCC on July 22...

'Brave Warriors' Panel | SDCC 2022 | Entertainment Weekly
Entertainment Weekly   Oct 5, 2022

PANELISTS
Jacob Batalon (Reginald the Vampire)
Harvey Guillen (What We Do in the Shadows)
Lisette Olivera (National Treasure: Edge of History)
Elizabeth Tulloch (Superman & Lois)
Moderator: Gerrad Hall

On 1/31/2023 at 4:03 PM, DanaK said:

Well, he's not actually in charge of that decision, so I wouldn't take that as gospel. If - IF - the network wants to keep any DC shows, S&L is the obvious choice, though.

8 hours ago, DanaK said:

This is an excellent, in-depth (and spoilery) interview that gives us an idea of what to expect from Lois's journey this season. Thanks for sharing!

Edited by metaphor
  • Like 1