Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: Journeycake

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 5/4/2020 at 8:59 PM, ferjy said:

lol I should have said that was Claire's scenario. So it doesn't mean other travellers will follow the same rule.

Re the name emblem, it seems that it was screwed into the drawer, so she must have done that? If I wanted to keep that identity a secret, I would hide it away in a box, not display it in a drawer that anyone can open. Maybe I didn't see it right, I'll have to go back and check.

It was the medicine case that Jamie gave her a season or so ago.  It formerly belonged to a Dr. Rawlings, which is why it has his name engraved in there.  

• Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, toolazy said:

It was the medicine case that Jamie gave her a season or so ago.  It formerly belonged to a Dr. Rawlings, which is why it has his name engraved in there.  

As I said a couple of posts ago, SassAndSnacks already reminded me of the box.

Edited by ferjy
  • Love 2
(edited)

I was cheering when they finally went through the stones, with a good riddance. They better not still be in the past. I can’t take much more of Sophie’s mumbling and same resting face. 

Edited by jenn31
  • Love 3
On 5/5/2020 at 5:01 PM, ihartcoffee said:

Jemmy almost looks like he's waving at someone.  I'm so curious where they end up! 

I thought that too. Maybe at Ian? I don’t think Jem would run to a stranger like that. It would make sense that Bree and Roger would be confused at seeing Ian there if they were supposed to travel to another time and know that Ian can’t follow them. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Why couldn't Claire say "Yes that's a ery nice present my husband bought for me in Wilmington from a doctor who was buying a better medical kit"?

Based on the preview, are they going to throw her into the water to see if she floats? I sure hope there's not another rape.

I think they see a re-enactment,like the one Roger went to! 😄 But they're confused, becuse they're not expecting it. Or they're near the App State campus and the students are having a wild party outside...

We'd be in 1974? 75? right?

When are they supposed to "die" in  fire?

Could the ridge be burnt in the "war" between the Browns and the Ridge, with J&C presumed dead?

Edited by MYOS
54 minutes ago, MYOS said:

Why couldn't Claire say "Yes that's a ery nice present my husband bought for me in Wilmington from a doctor who was buying a better medical kit"?

She didn't see that the guy saw it. He walked in while they were mending the wife's wrist and he saw the open drawer and nosed around. He yanked the wife away right after that. 

Given that he knows she knows he shot the guy, and has it in for Jamie, I'm doubtful he's going to sit down and have a calm discussion where she could make up an excuse. 

If he grabbed it and said - wtf is this? Then I would think Claire would be able to use her righteous indignation to make something up. 

I think Roger found a document that only said '177x' about the fire. It looks clear to me that this idiot blowing up the whisky and the other burnt house will be related. 

Although, I have to say, I'm not really gripped with suspense. Roger et al., can always go back through the stones if they went somewhere else, and Jamie and Claire are more than capable of slipping away to fool the guy into thinking they died in the fire to start over somewhere else. Especially with Ian and Fergus in on the con. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, goldilocks said:

I thought that too. Maybe at Ian? I don’t think Jem would run to a stranger like that. It would make sense that Bree and Roger would be confused at seeing Ian there if they were supposed to travel to another time and know that Ian can’t follow them. 

I'd be really surprised if they are still in Ian's time. They showed Ian all alone at the stones. They were gone. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Although, I have to say, I'm not really gripped with suspense. 

Yeah, me neither. Given Jamie and Claire's penchant for getting themselves into hot water, it's not too much of a leap to think they'd stage a fire so they could escape trouble. I can see why the characters would take the newspaper story seriously, but as an audience member you know it's a fakeout. 

47 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Yeah, me neither. Given Jamie and Claire's penchant for getting themselves into hot water, it's not too much of a leap to think they'd stage a fire so they could escape trouble.

I disagree. These two always go into the face of trouble head on. They don't run away.

(edited)
4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Given Jamie and Claire's penchant for getting themselves into hot water, it's not too much of a leap to think they'd stage a fire so they could escape trouble.

I don't know if they'd stage it, but either Claire or Jamie or both are smart enough to put 2 and 2 together to realize that this idiot is setting the fires and that maybe he's going to light them up. So maybe they fake that they're in the house and escape or something. 

I mean come on, who doesn't want them with Ian and Fergus in Boston as part of Washington's spy ring? Fergus is so fucking proto-Bond it's ridiculous. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, cardigirl said:

I'd be really surprised if they are still in Ian's time. They showed Ian all alone at the stones. They were gone. 

We don’t know that the transport is instantaneous. They might spin around in the stones for a while. Just enough time for Ian to start walking away then, Surprise! We’re back! 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, ferjy said:

We don’t know that the transport is instantaneous. They might spin around in the stones for a while. Just enough time for Ian to start walking away then, Surprise! We’re back! 

Hahaha, it’s never worked that way before, but sure, it could happen that way I guess. 

Great episode. Very moving, from the euthanasia to the goodbyes.

Agree with everyone that Bree and Lord John have oodles of chemistry. Her temporary idea of them getting married was a really good one if Roger didn’t return.

I hope Marsali is okay. Without Claire to treat her it’s especially bad.

Glad Ulysses found a way out. I was thinking that he could travel to England with John, so I am glad that happened. His loyalty to Jocasta was even more moving when you realize he didn’t have to stay.

Lizzie barely speaks but she certainly packs a punch when she does.

The stone traveling was unexpected. I honestly expected them to decide to stay. When I saw their reaction I wondered if they ended up at Craigh Na Dun still in the 18th century. It seemed like they recognized something.

2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm not sure the stones make you change location though. Of course, as we said, plot, so maybe that's the case. 

We have never seen them arrive in a different location, from the one they left!

• Love 1
(edited)

For just a moment, I thought Jemmy toddled away back to the stone and went back through it by himself!

I had nearly forgotten about Lizzie and her role with Brianna.  The farewells tugged at my heart.  I still want to know more of Ian’s story.

Edited by zoey1996
On 5/3/2020 at 10:37 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Ulysses is a black man. There’s no way in hell he wouldn’t die for killing that lawyer, it wouldn’t matter if 10 ppl said it was in defense of Jocasta.

I'm just surprised they didn't use the obvious solution of saying Mr Innes killed him to defend Jocasta. I know he's older, but it wouldn't be physically impossible, especially with adrenaline.

7 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

I'm just surprised they didn't use the obvious solution of saying Mr Innes killed him to defend Jocasta. I know he's older, but it wouldn't be physically impossible, especially with adrenaline.

I can't be sure, but I think Innes only had one healthy arm. I think the other was wounded during Culloden? I can't be sure, but didn't he hold one of his arms against his side/middle? So that would rule him out killing Forbes.

3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I can't be sure, but I think Innes only had one healthy arm. I think the other was wounded during Culloden? I can't be sure, but didn't he hold one of his arms against his side/middle? So that would rule him out killing Forbes.

I don't think it would, categorically. And it's not like the authorities would have an investment in probing too closely. And what did they say the cause of death was? In fact, they could have dumped the body, made it look like an accident, etc. There were a lot of ways out of this situation; I think this genuinely qualifies as a plot hole.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

He literally only had one arm. I don't see how it's plausible for him to have broken someone's neck or strangled them to death. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 5/3/2020 at 2:59 PM, BitterApple said:

Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!! Not a cliffhanger with Roger and Brianna!!! Where do they end up?! Obviously not in the 1970s, judging by their reaction. So are they even further back than where they started? The show's never given hard rules for time travel, but that would be an interesting twist if you could only travel back from the year you were born and not forward. 

Jaime delicately eating the peanut butter sandwich with knife and fork was hysterical, and I thought the dinner was a clever and touching way to tie the two time periods together.

I feel like a lot happened in this episode, but the one thing I'm waiting for is to hear Ian's story about his time with the Mohawk. Hopefully that gets covered in the finale.

Yes, the only one who went forward in time was Claire.  To a time she had been born in or existed in before.  Roger and Brianna could do that.  But perhaps you can't travel to where you didn't exist before even if you can hear the stones.  Now we also know that a rope is good enough to make you travel together.  And fortunately it keeps time travelers with non time travelers together, so that R and B did not go forward when Jemmy could not, even though they could have without him.   Which leaves open that maybe Claire could take Ian back by tying a rope around them.  

Eating the sandwich with the fork and knife was delightful.  I looked up the history of sandwiches enough to see that it was about the 1770s that Lord Sandwich started the popularity of them in England.  That wouldn't have reached the US yet.  Jamie just did what came naturally.  Ian picked it up, but that may come of being with the Mohawk, or seeing that the others did it that way.  

I am really more interested in what happened with Ian than another Claire kidnapping. 

On 5/3/2020 at 4:57 PM, theschnauzers said:

I’m pleased that Diana wrote this episode. She has that deft touch with family interactions. And the ones with Jemmy, Lizzie and Ian were heartwarming. And entrusting Ian with the land grant given to Roger will help Ian feel more attached to Fraser’s Ridge. It’s interesting the Browns didn’t say one word about Mohawk Ian in this episode.

Strange, but I found Lizzie the most touching of the scenes.  Her devotion to Brianna is strong.  I did notice Brianna didn't really say goodbye to Jamie individually as with everyone else.  

On 5/4/2020 at 12:31 AM, Cdh20 said:

I love, love, love cliffhangers! That is all for now!

Yes, you can think about them and speculate, which is fun.

On 5/5/2020 at 6:05 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Now with the baby, they may have painted themselves into a corner and will just resolve it because plot. The logical outcome is 1572 but why the baby would override Bree and Roger I doubt has a thought out explanation. 

It's the first time it's been tried by more than one person at a time.  The baby perhaps cannot travel to the future even though he can hear the stones?  The situation for the youngest person in the group prevails?  They did disappear, because Ian saw it, so they went somewhere.  Somewhere R and B did not expect.   

They came from Craigh na Dun, so what is in NC in that area in 1974 might be surprising.  Or if you go through one portal, you end up where you started, so maybe they are just at Criagh na Dun.  Fun to speculate.  

On 5/5/2020 at 8:27 PM, Hanahope said:

they had to see something odd from their expression.  What would they see in 1572 or so?  More native Americans?  That wouldn’t be odd.  There was no suggestion of a settlement in 1772, so not likely to be one in 1572.

I don’t think going back in the past would cause such an expression, that’s why I think it must be the future.  It’s just a question of how far in the future.   

The way Jemmy was going forward as if to someone he knew supports that they might have gone nowhere and he's waving at Ian, who is just walking away.  

The safety issue is often discussed, and it is true for medicine.  But for accidents, they are more and bigger, trucks, buses, cars, planes and trains all have accidents.  There are more types; electrical and so on.  But the medical system makes it more likely to survive and survive less maimed, without amputations and better ways to deal with disabilities.  

The overall situation though might give someone pause.  If you left in 1970, you know there is a threat of nuclear war.  I might be hesitant to go back with the possibility they could return to an earth laid waste.  Though you could just use the stone to go back if you could notice that right away.  I remember the early 70s, and we knew the US and the USSR had enough nuclear power to blow up the earth many times over.  They do know they are going back to that situation.  

Edited by Kim0820
  • Love 1

This was a really good episode with all the goodbyes and character moments/interactions and...

Now back to your regularly scheduled program - a violent abduction.

Seriously, what is with this show?  Forget the stone circle.  More like plot circle.  Just who gets to be whacked this week.

I felt sad for Brianna, Claire and Jaime, to be parted from one another.  It seems like Roger is the only one who wants to go, and there was really no impetus for going right away.  The burning cabin could have been the trigger, but it wasn't really.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Browns did that themselves to rile up the residents, though we did see an arrow on one of the bodies.  I could have done without the grisly visuals of the fire.

Claire keeps providing medical services to that guy and he goes and kidnaps her.  I'm ready for Claire to deny her services to undeserving candidates.  Kindness rarely pays, on this show.

I liked seeing Ian's reaction to the three of them disappearing.

If the destination of time travel is based on what the person is thinking about, then it was a bad idea to bring the kid, who could be thinking about something else.  Geillis no doubt thought about the Jacobite rebellion.  Brianna thought of her mother.  Roger thought of Brianna.  Not sure what initially propelled Claire to the 1700s, except maybe her recent conversations with Frank about his ancestor BJR.  

I'm trying to think about what would be the most entertaining prospect.  Ending up in the year 2000's would be fun, with their reactions to new technology. And then they inevitably find out that Brianna's brother died in <insert the blank>, and they travel back in time to save him.

If it has to be the past, I think travelling forward 100 years to the 1870s would at least be a new time period.  They would need to take awhile to afford 3 gemstones before they could go back.

I would like a final season where Claire brings Jaime, Marsali, Fergus, Ian and Lizzie to the future where none of them were ever the victim of violence ever again.  Yes, they could be in car accidents and there's the threat of nuclear war, but it's a miniscule risk compared to the day-to-day dangers of the 1700s with not just the threat, but actual war, questionable law and order, and lack of modern medicine.

I'm sad I only have one more episode left, but I'm not looking forward to Claire in captivity.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1
On 4/26/2021 at 7:03 AM, DoctorAtomic said:

The show has said early on that the stones only go 200 years ish. 

Interesting.  I must have missed that.  Was it in Season 1?  There didn't seem to be any real authority on how the stones work, so I think I assumed that what people said about the stones was guess-work.  Even someone like Geillis, who actually did research, could not have known for sure.  I always wondered how Geillis was confident she could go forward in time to right before Claire gave birth, to kill Brianna.  That made me think the destination depended on what the time traveller was thinking and wishing for.

If it has to be 200 years, I guess the 1570s would either be more contact with the indigenous tribes or maybe Spanish explorers. If it were the 1970s, Brianna's OMG could simply be "All those trees were flattened for a parking lot"?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, scarlettudor said:

Has anyone else noticed how beautiful Jamie's white horse is?  That curved neck...Wow.

I’ve watched with an equestrian and she thinks that is one gorgeous horse for a lot of reasons I don’t remember.  I’m like, it’s big and pretty.  You are not alone.

• LOL 1

* Yeah Jamie, seeing if anyone's hiding in the woods is always a good idea when a house and all it's inhabitants have just been burned to death.

* It was so nice to see Ian playing happily with Jemmy again, but why aren't we being told WHY he's happy again and WHAT had made him so unhappy? How lazy can you get Show?!

* The Brown's, and in particular Mr. Brown and his angry skeleton brother, are always buzzkills, aren't they? Why don't they just torch that village, because those folks are all so damn miserable.

* Brianna, Roger, and Jemmy go back through the Stones! Hahahaha, surrrre show, like I'm going to believe that's actually happening, NOT. I'm not stupid, this show is getting so predictable that you can't even get lost in a plot line because it's too obvious that it's not going to work out anyway. DUH.

* I greatly enjoyed Claire telling Ian her story. "I knew ye were a faerie, Auntie!' I love that he can take it in and not even question it, something Jenny would be unable to do, IMO. It shows that Ian has the same progressive ideas and openmindedness that his Uncle Jamie has, and I like that connection between them. Particularly since Jamie was unable to raise his own son, and Ian has become his defacto son now.

* Ulysses is a badass and I love him, and I adore the actor who portrays him! He says so much with mostly very limited dialogue and facial expressions. I suppose I was a bit confused though, as to why they didn't just make up a story about how Forbes died...He tripped and fell perhaps? This show makes zero sense so much of the time.

* Jemmy and the opal being hot, I get it's because he can time travel, or likely can do so. We heard the buzzing when they were playing hot potato with the opal, but WHY did it get hot and WHAT is it about the opal that connects people to the stones. I know one needs a gemstone to pass through the Stones, but if that's true, did Otter Tooth pass through the Stones with that opal? If so, wouldn't it have been taken by the Stones, like other gemstones on time travelers? Why would it survive through the Stones? And if it was found in the 1700s in American, after Otter Tooth had already passed through from his time to the 1700's, then again, WHY did the stone get hot and WHY did the time travelers hear the buzzing? I mean Claire's had that opal for a while now, and she's never once said it was hot to the touch, and she never heard buzzing until Jemmy said it was hot. Is it something that children can hear and feel because they are too young to pass through the Stones? I hate that we are told none of this. It's lazy writing and lazy story telling, IMO.

* Lord John seems to pop up whenever there is a need to pull the story along, doesn't he? Okay, so he needs to take William back to Helswater to learn to be lord of two manors, I get it, but it seemed like a forced plot device to remove LJ from the Show for the foreseeable future. It just felt very out of place to me, with what all was going on this episode.

* So Ian wants to go forward or backward in time? I couldn't tell? If backward, I suppose he wants to undo whatever it is that likely happened to his Mohawk wife that he's never spoken of. It was heart wrenching to see how much he wanted to get out of there.

* How has nobody in this thread mentioned the Menopausal Oral Sex scene?! People, come ON! Seriously though, that scene took Jamie & Claire's sex scenes, which started out on the Show as so hot, and has reduced them to, 'AYFKM?!?' scenes now. How did Claire not fall backwards out that window and break her damn neck? The whole thing was trying to be super hot and super sexy but ended up being farcical. And that's a damn shame because their sex scenes used to be so much better than this. And please don't tell me 'it's because they're getting older', no it's not, it's bad writing, IMO.

*So judging by Brianna and Roger's faces, they aren't leaving after all. I ken they couldn't get through. I mean they disappeared, Ian saw them, and I'm glad he saw it with his own eyes, but I don't think they went through because it looks like the same place as when they left, but I don't know why they didn't get through. I don't think they're in the past or future.

* Okay, I do like the resolution for Ulysses, great idea, and as someone upthread said, he'd make a fabulous British butler or valet. That said, he's rather conspicuous isn't it? He has such regal bearing and seems like he'd stick out like a sore thumb with Lord John. I assume they're catching a ship in Virginia since LJ probably has to go there before departing the Colonies. Maybe Virginia isn't as fucked up as Wilmington, NC is...

* Brianna & Roger talking about their grandparents...Weren't they supposed to have gone back in time so they could save Jamie and Claire from dying in a fire? Why has nobody brought that up at all in any of the goodbye speeches?!?

* I'll admit, the PB&J last family dinner was cute.

That's all I got. Looking forward for this season to being over already. It's been a slog.

Edited by gingerella
  • Love 3
On 2/27/2022 at 4:15 PM, gingerella said:

I greatly enjoyed Claire telling Ian her story. "I knew ye were a faerie, Auntie!' I love that he can take it in and not even question it, something Jenny would be unable to do, IMO.

Ian is all things wonderful.  

did Otter Tooth pass through the Stones with that opal

I was under the impression that he found it there, and it became his "ticket back."  I don't think he had the return ticket with him when he originally went through.

I mean Claire's had that opal for a while now, and she's never once said it was hot to the touch, and she never heard buzzing until Jemmy said it was hot.

Show did not do a great job (or any job ftm) explaining the touch of the gems.  Lots of plot holes there as a result, and you bring up some really good questions.  Time travel was mentioned a lot during this episode, and yet it was barely discussed during those mentions.  Just a buzzword thrown around to remind everyone that this show originally started with a woman traveling through time. 

Menopausal Oral Sex scene?!

Cringe.  I have no problem with people getting their freak on at any consenting age, but this felt forced.  I put it in the same category as the earlier barn sex.  Same deal with the microscope scene.  I know that was placed there for the Book fans, but I felt like that time could have been spent elsewhere.  I said what I said.  

Brianna & Roger talking about their grandparents.

So why leave, right?  I didn't think they got that point across.  Roger has no family in their time.  Aside from modern conveniences, because yes...that's important, what is the reason for leaving.  "Welp, Jem can travel.  It's been real, fam!"  They both mention they grew up without families, so why leave so soon?  Do they have dinner reservations?  Brianna just found out she has a brother.  Why didn't she want to know more?  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 4/26/2021 at 7:03 AM, DoctorAtomic said:

The show has said early on that the stones only go 200 years ish. 

On 4/27/2021 at 10:04 PM, Camera One said:

Interesting.  I must have missed that.  Was it in Season 1?  There didn't seem to be any real authority on how the stones work, so I think I assumed that what people said about the stones was guess-work.  Even someone like Geillis, who actually did research, could not have known for sure.  I always wondered how Geillis was confident she could go forward in time to right before Claire gave birth, to kill Brianna.  That made me think the destination depended on what the time traveller was thinking and wishing for.

If it has to be 200 years, I guess the 1570s would either be more contact with the indigenous tribes or maybe Spanish explorers. If it were the 1970s, Brianna's OMG could simply be "All those trees were flattened for a parking lot"?

But once the story introduced Geillis the whole concept of 200 years didn't make sense, unless "ish" means "give or take 20 odd years". 

Claire left in 1945, right?, and she arrived in 1743. That is 202 years.  Geillis left 1968 and she arrived in the past prior to 1743. Long enough to have learned how to successfully survive and marry a couple of times before she met Claire. That could add at least another 25 years to the 202 years that Claire traveled back in time.  It just doesn't compute. 

I agree with the part in bold. At least from what we've seen so far. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Gellis also literally murdered her husband. I think somewhere I posited that she gained more control. She basically only wanted to get far back enough before Cullodeon. In the first season, they mentioned a guy from Jamie's time went back and then returned. 

I doubt much thought was given to how you actually travel. For Claire and Roger it seems the 200 years ish has been consistent. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

. In the first season, they mentioned a guy from Jamie's time went back and then returned. 

Are you referring to the ballad that was sung about the woman who went through the Stones and came back again, or did I miss something critical all the way back in S01?!

Edited by gingerella
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

It was way early on, when they went to the big banquet at the lord's house. I know it was the first season. 

The only instance of any other time Traveler in S01, that I can recall, was the mysterious Scottish man that Frank encountered looking up at Claire in her window. 
A lot of us think that was Jamie, but it’s a stretch at best at this point in the story.

I don’t remember anyone else. Even at the Laird’s feast. 

(edited)
2 hours ago, Anothermi said:

The only instance of any other time Traveler in S01, that I can recall, was the mysterious Scottish man that Frank encountered looking up at Claire in her window. 
A lot of us think that was Jamie, but it’s a stretch at best at this point in the story.

I don’t remember anyone else. Even at the Laird’s feast. 

I think we're talking about the first big 'do' that Colum threw with the musician who played that harp-like instrument. He had a haunting voice and sang a tale about a woman, I thought it was a woman, who came through the Stones from another time, and then one day she went back. Claire was sitting with Jamie in the hall, translating the Gaelic song and Claire says, 'so she could go back!' and thats when she started plotting going back to Craigh na Dun. Does that ring a bell? 

Edited by gingerella
  • Useful 1

No, the song was about a man in their 'time'; but in the past enough that it was a story, who went back (which we would assume it was the 1500s) and returned and talked about all the things he saw. But, same result; Claire learned the stones were two way. 

• Useful 1
17 hours ago, gingerella said:

I think we're talking about the first big 'do' that Colum threw with the musician who played that harp-like instrument. He had a haunting voice and sang a tale about a woman, I thought it was a woman, who came through the Stones from another time, and then one day she went back. Claire was sitting with Jamie in the hall, translating the Gaelic song and Claire says, 'so she could go back!' and thats when she started plotting going back to Craigh na Dun. Does that ring a bell? 

That right, @gingerella  I found it.  It clearly echoed Claire's own experience which made her hope it mean she could go back.

This is a transcript of the end of  S01E03 The Way Out:

Jamie: Now this one is about a man out late on a fairy hill on the eve of Samhain who hears the sound of a woman singing sad and plaintive from the very rocks of the hill. 

Gwyllyn (the singer): 

"I am a woman of Balnain.

"The folk have stolen me over again, '

"the stones seemed to say.

"I stood upon the hill, and wind did rise, and the sound of thunder rolled across the land."

"I placed my hands upon the tallest stone

"and traveled to a far, distant land

"where I lived for a time among strangers who became lovers and friends."

"But one day, I saw the moon came out

"and the wind rose once more.

"so I touched the stones

"and traveled back to my own land

"and took up again with the man I had left behind."

Claire: She came back through the stones?

Jamie: Aye, she did. They always do.

The only reference to a man is that he overhears the song. The time travel and return aspect is that Claire's own experience is reflected in the song's folk history regarding the fairies taking the woman to a far and distant land and her returning back to the man she left behind.

It may have been different in the books, but this is the only reference made in the show. The next gathering is when Jamie doesn't swear an oath to Colum. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 3/2/2022 at 11:08 PM, Anothermi said:

That was Jamie's ghost, not a time traveler. Ghosts are a thing in Outlander, like Otter Tooth's ghost. The behind the scenes for the first season confirmed that it was Jamie's ghost and he was looking up at Claire knowing that she had yet to meet him.

I agree that Ian, Fergus and Marsali are my favorites and I hope to see more of them.

I think Bree and Roger were going back more out of a sense of obligation than anything else, since they had originally said they would go back once they had done their task of warning Claire and Jamie, without stopping consider whether it was what they really wanted.

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness
  • Useful 1

Roger and Brianna do not have any more gemstones to use to go through the stones - unless they want to use the pearls.  Or unless they have the fragments of the opal. My guess is they landed in the middle of the Scottish festival in NC about 3-4 years after they were there the last time.  
Otter-tooth has that opal in the future around his neck when he was sitting on the park bench.  Based upon what happened when Gemmy touched it, it appears to function as the stones do.  Meaning you could travel from right there rather than go through a stone.  However, that does not explain why Otter-tooth couldn’t/didn’t use it to travel forward  to his own time. 

Ian is such a gem.   Loved his response to time travel, and then his confusion at seeing it happen. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Roger and Brianna do not have any more gemstones to use to go through the stones - unless they want to use the pearls.

Hmm, interesting question. Would organic "gems" like pearls, jet and amber count?

Ian is such a gem.

No pun intended. ;)

Roger and Brianna do not have any more gemstones to use to go through the stones - unless they want to use the pearls.  Or unless they have the fragments of the opal. My guess is they landed in the middle of the Scottish festival in NC about 3-4 years after they were there the last time.  
Otter-tooth has that opal in the future around his neck when he was sitting on the park bench.  Based upon what happened when Gemmy touched it, it appears to function as the stones do.  Meaning you could travel from right there rather than go through a stone.  However, that does not explain why Otter-tooth couldn’t/didn’t use it to travel forward  to his own time.

His name being spelled "Gemmy" would continue with the pun, but it's actually "Jemmy", from Jeremiah. It seems like gemstones just react strongly to Jemmy's touch (possibly because he has a double dose of time traveler genes like Bree speculated), I don't think someone can travel with just a gemstone and no stone circle or pool.

7 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

Hmm, interesting question. Would organic "gems" like pearls, jet and amber count?

No pun intended. ;)

His name being spelled "Gemmy" would continue with the pun, but it's actually "Jemmy", from Jeremiah. It seems like gemstones just react strongly to Jemmy's touch (possibly because he has a double dose of time traveler genes like Bree speculated), I don't think someone can travel with just a gemstone and no stone circle or pool.

Hmmm, I don't think pearls work otherwise we'd have heard about that by now. Claire has that long strand of Jamie's mother's pearls and they could have a LOT of passes through the Stones if pearls worked. I think it's just gemstones.

• Love 1