Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Sins of the Father

Tensions boil as the 20th anniversary of the chemical attack ordered by Barry's father, President Khaled Al-Fayeed looms. Barry’s plan to defuse the situation runs into heavy resistance. Meanwhile, Jamal struggles to regain confidence in the bedroom.

Loved the opening song juxtaposed with the wall hangings in Bassam's college room. 

Molly knew about the massacre but was totally ignorant about everything else, but now she's and expert on the country's climate...

Replication of the Tunisian's,Tarek al-Tayeb Mohamed Bouazizi,  self-immolation was hard to watch...too much reality.

The General's face reminds me of Red Skull in Captain America. 

So the son visits the sins of his father...

And so it goes with Jamaal's son...

Replication of the Tunisian's,Tarek al-Tayeb Mohamed Bouazizi,  self-immolation was hard to watch...too much reality.

True, that was gnarly, and I was really disheartened by the Father(?) who told his son (?) to continue working, that the man burning had nothing to do with them.

That said, the burning man's wife, sheesh.  I mighta set myself on fire dealing with her.

(edited)

Molly knew about the massacre but was totally ignorant about everything else, but now she's an expert on the country's climate...

This. To be fair, the "Shut up, Molly" drinking game only got me through a single lass of wine this episode.

This show has its flaws, but I hope it gets the chance to show what else it's got, because it's admittedly compelling.

Edited by AlliMo

The flash back indicated that Bassam was in high school 20 years ago when his father dropped chemical weapons on Ma'an.  It's possible that 20 years later Bassam would have an almost college aged son, but it doesn't seem likely given that both he and his wife were going to college and then medical school.

Things have taken a turn for the surreal when Molly is more astute than Emma or Bassam.

I'm surprised Emma just blithely asked a palace servant what she and others thought about the gas attack.  I thought Emma was smarter than that.  I was even more surprised that it was Molly of all people who pointed out that Emma was putting the servant in an impossible position.

Even weirder was when Molly told Bassam his visions are a little grandiose, at least for the extreme short term.

• Love 2
(edited)

OK, hold on, for a second!  Bassam's father committed a war crime back in the 80s, that was so well-known, that newspapers reported it, and Bassam's college roommates hated him for it?  And Molly knew, too?!!  That just makes pretty much everything Molly has done in these past few episodes even more ridiculous!  She knew that, at the very least, his dad was responsible for 20,000 deaths, but still thought he just needed to "talk it out"?  I can't buy that.  Not at all.  No one could be that stupid.  Or, did she simply believe the line that it wasn't a war crime, but necessary?  Either way, ridiculous.  I can not see how those two survived being married for 18 years.

Of course, now she suddenly gets a wake-up call, and seems to be in the complete opposite direction, and even giving good advice to Bassam.  It's like there are two different characters, now.  I really feel like the show is at a complete loss, over what they want this character to be.

Besides all that though, I actually was kind of interested in this episode.  The political stuff is coming to ahead, and the idea of Jamal being pulled back and forth between The General and Bassam (not to mention, Leila's meddling), is making things a bit interesting. I know Jamal is a creepy, violent rapist.... but, it does feel like he doesn't want to be like his father, so, yay?  And, I'm glad they've finally found a way to get Fauzi/the reporter involved in this, since he's one of the few I like.  I hope he doesn't become a casualty.

Emma was surprisingly dumb with asking the maid that question, but besides that, she's the only Al Fayeed I like, because she is the only one who seems to realize just how fucked up this entire thing is.  I vastly prefer her to Sam, the dumbass who is embracing being part of a royal family, and failing to see why his lover can't just be open with him.  I swear, if that poor guy gets harmed because of Sam...

Uh oh!  Ahmed seemed to be showing some signs that he might have a bit of Jamal in him.  That's not good.

Justin Kirk's character is getting more intriguing.

Where the hell did Alice Krige disappear off too?

Burning man: I'm not sure how I was suppose to feel about the wife, but if it was true that he got fired because of the Al Fayeeds, then she was an asshole to refuse his kiss, and basically treat him like shit.  I'm sure it couldn't have been easy to find another job, but she was acting like he was some good for nothing, slacker.  I felt bad for him and his kids, but I really wasn't touch by her tears.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 2

Yeesh. I'm a little afraid what this will entail.

And you were right.

Molly needs to put the kids on a plane, and find a relative to look out for them.  Neither she nor Bassam seem to realize that, in the eyes of the opposition, they are guilty by association, and the whole family will suffer the consequences should a coup/revolution overtake the family dynasty.  Bassam won't be able to talk himself out of trouble if that happens.

Maybe they'll set up Jamal to become more hardline against the protesters and the opposition once he can be hard in other aspects of his life again.

• Love 2

OK, hold on, for a second!  Bassam's father committed a war crime back in the 80s, that was so well-known, that newspapers reported it, and Bassam's college roommates hated him for it?

A small point, but the school in the flashback was called SomethingOrOther Academy. That's pretty unusual for a college, but quite common for a private prep (high) school. Offhand, the only college level schools that I know of with the word Academy in their names are the various military academies: Westpoint, Annapolis, etc.

(edited)

The flash back indicated that Bassam was in high school 20 years ago when his father dropped chemical weapons on Ma'an.  It's possible that 20 years later Bassam would have an almost college aged son, but it doesn't seem likely given that both he and his wife were going to college and then medical school.

THIS is the thing that makes it hard for me to watch this show.  I just cannot get over the foundational proposition that only 20 years have passed since Bassam broke his ties with the family and he and Molly have gone through college, med school and residency and fellowship in pediatrics and psychiatry (!) and have gotten married and had two kids who are now high school age.  She would have had to get pregnant in med school.  Sure, it can be and has been done, but it's extremely unlikely.   I just can't get over what I see as laziness and inattention to detail by the creators of the show in establishing this incredible timeline.  That scenario is paired with the fact that the actors are so young.  Finnigan actually is only 34 and looks it.  The casting of a young skinny (Canadian) blonde as the American super-doctor-now-politically-astute-mom instead is as worthy of criticism as the casting of a non-Arab as Bassam (if you're going to criticize that). Edited by stacey
Fixing quote box
(edited)

I thought maybe the flashback was the 80's because of the song used but when they said 20 years that didn't seem long enough ago. And didn't Jamal's wife say something to him about Jamal being so young when it originally happened? I'm assuming Jamal is supposed to be maybe mid 40's? Also Sam is worried only about not being treated the same if people found out he is gay? Can't you be stoned for it?

Edited by Laurie4H
(edited)
Molly knew about the massacre but was totally ignorant about everything else, but now she's and expert on the country's climate...

I know! I thought, Suddenly she's up-to-date on things? But then she basically pooh-poohs her daughter wanting to go back to L.A., so same old delusional Molly.

Uh oh!  Ahmed seemed to be showing some signs that he might have a bit of Jamal in him.  That's not good.

Sigh. I hope Ahmed is more than just a chip off the old block. Watching him use borrowed power to get his way in nightclubs is deeply uninteresting, although I get why we had those scenes in this ep.

Justin Kirk's character is getting more intriguing.

I LOVE him. I wish he had more to do, but I suppose that will come.

Edited by dubbel zout
(edited)

A small point, but the school in the flashback was called SomethingOrOther Academy. That's pretty unusual for a college, but quite common for a private prep (high) school. Offhand, the only college level schools that I know of with the word Academy in their names are the various military academies: Westpoint, Annapolis, etc.

Agreed.  I thought it was a more local boarding school, than an American college.  There wasn't much racial diversity (like, any) that we saw of the students. 

I'm still struggling with getting behind Ihab and his movement.  The idea that Samira (I think that's her name?  Fauzi's daughter) will have more freedom, more intellectual liberty, be able to read more freely under a theocracy is rather silly.  When, in the history of the world, has THAT happened?

Edited by annlaw78
  • Love 1
(edited)
I'm still struggling with getting behind Ihab and his movement.  The idea that Samira (I think that's her name?  Fauzi's daughter) will have more freedom, more intellectual liberty, be able to read more freely under a theocracy is rather silly.  When, in the history of the world, has THAT happened?

That got the side-eye from me, too. Samira basically admitted to her dad that she's not sure a new regime would be any better than the old one (someone needs to start blasting "Won't Get Fooled Again" at these rallies), but I guess to her, working for Ihab is better than sitting at home all day. At least she's doing something.

Edited by dubbel zout

A few minor observations:
(1)  Wow, those were some high heels the maids were wearing. 

(2)  Fauzi (the reporter/Samira's father) is a very attractive man.  He needs more screen time.

Overall, I was somewhat disappointed by this episode.  What really drew me into watching the series was the scene at the end of the first episode, where Barry was the one to execute that man, reinforced by his dying father's statement that "it shouold have been you."  I know that was foreshadowing that Barry will gradually turn ino Bassam the Tyrant, episode by episode, but I wish they'd speed it up.  Yes, we get that Jamal - carefully set up as the bad brother (raping, murdering, violent etc) is now more nuanced, may in fact be the "good" (or at least, better) brother.  Jamal is intelligent, willing to try BArry's approach, and I think sincerely wants to be an enlightened, beloved ruler.  I would like to see more Jamal (because he's a terrific actor), Leila,  and Barry (and Fauzi, because I like him) and less Ahmed/Emma/Sam/ etc  I especially hate the wife:  IMO, she's a porr actress playing a VERY poorly written character.

(edited)
Agreed.  I thought it was a more local boarding school, than an American college.  There wasn't much racial diversity (like, any) that we saw of the students.

I saw that differently. I thought there were so many Arabic-looking students in the hall as young Bassam walked to his room that they were in a Middle Eastern boarding school. They were lighter skinned, but then so is today's Barry vs. yesterday's Bassam.

I know that was foreshadowing that Barry will gradually turn ino Bassam the Tyrant, episode by episode, but I wish they'd speed it up.

If that change is the point of the entire series, why would they speed it up? Where would they go from there? Barry is his Dad, Part II?

Loved the warning from the US ambassador that the naval base deal is with the country, not the ruling family. And truthfully, Jamal wouldn't have had much luck speaking to his people if he had walked in alone, either. Not with what's-his-name stirring everyone up. A TV broadcast would have been better. Give his people something to think about. Also, provide some aid to people who need it.

The nephew is an asshole. Hope he gets beaten by a crowd.

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 1

I saw that differently. I thought there were so many Arabic-looking students in the hall as young Bassam walked to his room that they were in a Middle Eastern boarding school. They were lighter skinned, but then so is today's Barry vs. yesterday's Bassam.

That's what I mean -- local to Abuddin or the region. 

(edited)

I liked Molly this episode and I think the show is finally beginning to write her decently. I thought her stuff with Bassam was great. I think it was a compare and contrast her reactions between her husband and daughter just like it was a compare and contrast with Bassams friends reaction with Bassam and his own daughter.

Edited by Chaos Theory
(edited)
That's what I mean -- local to Abuddin or the region.

Oh, gotcha - reverse discrimination, essentially. That makes sense.

Edited by Ottis

Oh, gotcha - reverse discrimination, essentially. That makes sense.

I'm not sure if I thought it out that far, but, yes, I think he was either at a fancy boarding school for Abuddin's elite, or in some other regional boarding school -- mostly my point was I think the dormitory incident happened to a teenage Bassam, not a college-aged Barry.  If this was supposed to be from Barry's college days in the U.S., I'd expect the dorm-mates shown would be a little more diverse -- perhaps a blonde kid or a (gasp!) a ginger, other races, etc.

Even after the angry mob tried to pull the Al Fayids out of their expensive cars, Barry decides to stroll through the city streets during an Arab Spring wearing his thousand dollar suit, because he wants to go incognito to meet his buddy at a cafe?

And I get the significance of "Everybody Wants to Rule the World," but the song sort of signifies the '80s, and 20 years ago would have been 1994.  That took me out of the story.

Both these things made me pause the program and shake my head.

My husband brings up the point that the last two episodes have been somewhat formulaic as far as Jamal relying on Basam to fix all his problems.  I know they're probably going to end up with Basam being head tyrant guy, but it's a little painful getting there.

• Love 1
(edited)

Molly: It's getting late and I'm worried about our children who went out clubbing even though their uncle's car got mobbed this morning and people are occupying the square right now to protest again this very family. But who cares about self-immolation and the impending use of military force on civilians, we can't lock in the kids the palace, amirite?? [YES. YES YOU CAN.]

Bassam: Ha, ikr! See you later, I've got to go commit treason to save my friend who doesn't care anyway.

Molly: No, it's too dangerous! And pointless, like everything else you're trying to achieve here. I know this now because I talked to the maid for 10 seconds this morning.

This. freaking. show. My eyes are getting quite the workout because of all the times I'm rolling them. I don't feel like the situation of the country or the way the Bassa & family act make any more sense, and it's already the fourth episode. Oddly enough, I kind of enjoyed this in spite of it all, although I did find Rayner's acting particularly wooden in the scene with Fauzi.

Edited by glitterpants
  • Love 3
I'm not sure if I thought it out that far, but, yes, I think he was either at a fancy boarding school for Abuddin's elite, or in some other regional boarding school -- mostly my point was I think the dormitory incident happened to a teenage Bassam, not a college-aged Barry.  If this was supposed to be from Barry's college days in the U.S., I'd expect the dorm-mates shown would be a little more diverse -- perhaps a blonde kid or a (gasp!) a ginger, other races, etc.

But the timeline still doesn't quite work out per other posters' points.  Too little time has passed to get through high school, college, med school, etc. etc.  Plus, didn't Bassam and Molly meet in Med School.  So, that would mean the flash back was at least four years (likely more) from the point at which they would meet and the EARLIEST possible point they could procreate, so no way they have a 17 year old.  But, I might be over thinking things...

I also wish they would speed up Bassam becoming the Tyrant. We all know his "wise" advices to his brother will not transform Abuddin into a democratic country. While it is necessary to set up him as being naive for now, it does not make for very interesting television. It is not something that can be dragged out for multiple seasons. I hope towards end of the season something drastic will happen as indirect results of his advices, which make him to reconsider his approach. Jamal being assasinated by Ihab movement would be a logical story progression, although it would be very predictable and i would miss Jamal actor. Maybe Ihab could kidnap and publicly execute Barry´s son for being a deviant infidel  instead. Or his clueless wife, that would be even better. But for the story purpose Jamal have to die at some point, so i guess it will be him.

But the timeline still doesn't quite work out per other posters' points.  Too little time has passed to get through high school, college, med school, etc. etc.  Plus, didn't Bassam and Molly meet in Med School.  So, that would mean the flash back was at least four years (likely more) from the point at which they would meet and the EARLIEST possible point they could procreate, so no way they have a 17 year old.  But, I might be over thinking things...

I can buy Barry and Molly being a well-preserved couple in their early-40s (even though the actors are younger).  It still makes it pretty tight for them to have teenaged kids, though.  Though there are "oops" as well as planned pregnancies to women in medical school/residency, it's not the norm.  If we're to assume Barry and Molly are 42, the timeline could sort of work: he cut ties to his family when he left college at 22, they married, they had the kids (are they twins?) right after medical school.  It's tight, but I suppose it's plausible. 

(edited)

The show wouldn't work if the kids weren't teens. You'd teenage years tend to be your most turbilant. We are meant to draw parallels between Bassams daughter whose heart is in the right place but is still naive to how lucky and privileged she is with the daughter of the blogger guy who is fighting for her basic rights and has to chose between two evils; the tyrant in office now who is denying her and family basic rights or the religious extremists who don't think particularly well of women.

The son on the other hand is more interested in the fun being part of the elite can give him and he was just hit with the cost on people who aren't elite. In theory both him and his sister can go home at any time. The people around them are home don't have the luxury to wring their hands and leave.

I can see the son getting mixed up in his Cousins bad behavior while walking a tight rope with his homosexuality and the daughter finding friends who are as politically active but in the way the priveleged often are. They talk about change and the common man but they don't actually do anything about it.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1
(edited)

Who were the women in that dance club? I thought women wouldn't be dressed like that in public. Samira certainly covers up. So were those women all foreigners?

My guess rules don't apply when you have money and power. Even Fakistan has an upper class and inside a nightclub the rules would be relaxed. When the women walk back outside they would be covered in long coats. The show does need to say that though. Sometimes say not show dies work especially in these matters.

Edited by Chaos Theory

My guess rules don't apply when you have money and power. Even Fakistan has an upper class and inside a nightclub the rules would be relaxed. When the women walk back outside they would be covered in long coats. The show does need to say that though. Sometimes say not show dies work especially in these matters.

They could have shown that, too.  For example, in the establishing shots of the club, they could have included one from the outside where the women were walking in all covered up, and then show us where they're taking off their coats or whatever.  Just a few seconds could have made it clear what was what, and it would have been an interesting detail that informed us of the context without words.

They could have shown that, too. For example, in the establishing shots of the club, they could have included one from the outside where the women were walking in all covered up, and then show us where they're taking off their coats or whatever. Just a few seconds could have made it clear what was what, and it would have been an interesting detail that informed us of the context without words.

There were women at the protest who were in Western attire so the country must not be a total theocracy.

There were women at the protest who were in Western attire so the country must not be a total theocracy.

Yes, even Iraq was quite Western before we decided to go in there and topple Saddam.  I think they were one of the most modern at that time, and Saddam actually prided himself on it.  And I've been to Dubai, and you see all types of dress there (though still modest, even for the foreigners), although the "natives" still covered their hair all the time in public. 

I guess I'm still not clear on how theocratic and/or accepting Abbudin is supposed to be. 

I guess I'm still not clear on how theocratic and/or accepting Abbudin is supposed to be.

I do wish they'd make that clearer. I think it was Samira who was warned that the new regime she was backing was one  that would insist upon the type of dress she was sporting that she claimed she was wearing by choice. What threw me was that Abdul was more worried about his sexuality ruining his chances for advancement than perhaps ending his life. I was hoping that Sammy's storyline might show that there are actually places where not having the Government give Its blessing to your marriage was not the most difficult obstacle to living life as a gay person.

I do wish they'd make that clearer. I think it was Samira who was warned that the new regime she was backing was one that would insist upon the type of dress she was sporting that she claimed she was wearing by choice. What threw me was that Abdul was more worried about his sexuality ruining his chances for advancement than perhaps ending his life. I was hoping that Sammy's storyline might show that there are actually places where not having the Government give Its blessing to your marriage was not the most difficult obstacle to living life as a gay person.

Good points but we are only 4 episodes in to what amounts to an ambitious summer show. If the show doesn't explainy muchy by episode 7 or 8 I will be more annoyed for now I like the show for what it is.

What threw me was that Abdul was more worried about his sexuality ruining his chances for advancement than perhaps ending his life.

It's possible that Abbudin isn't quite as barbaric as it could be. Or maybe Abdul has a bit more protection (as long as he's discreet) because of working in the palace. Right now that's a C-level story.

A clarification of what's what would be nice. We get dribbles of it everytime Bassam rides in to try to smooth things over, but an info dump would be useful.

(edited)
While it is necessary to set up him as being naive for now, it does not make for very interesting television. It is not something that can be dragged out for multiple seasons.

I see this much differently. Drawing this out is what makes the show interesting. Can the way Westerners view social mores and rights work in a country and region like this? Can anything work when the people have been broken for decades? This is Russia after glasnost, and the Middle East pretty much all the time. What effect can Barry have? What can Jamal actually achieve? Does a Quadafi end have to be inevitable? What can Barry and family learn from the ME perspective? Is there a middle cultural ground? Layer on top of all of that the individual stories ... Barry and his past, Sammy and being gay, the rebels and what they want (is it just power, or actual justice?), the reporter and whether he can still make a difference with his reporting, Tariq and whether his way has been passed by in modern society, and on and on.

IMO, once Barry becomes the tyrant, this show ceases to be interesting. At that point, it is a soap opera about a royal family.

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 2
(edited)

Does anyone know if the entire season is already in the can, or are they filming week to week?

Another question: Is the Brotherhood that Samira mentioned supposed to be the Muslim Brotherhood? If so, it's interesting that the show would namecheck it. I get the allusions to gas attacks (i.e., Saddam and Assad) and Bassam bringing up Qaddafi as an example for Jamal to be wary of, but since those are past and both men are dead, they didn't strike me as much as Samira's mention of the Brotherhood.

It's also curious that Molly and Emma switched places between breakfast and bedtime. At breakfast, Emma was tone deaf while Molly was astute about Reema's discomfort. Fast forward to Emma in bed crying about wanting to go home, and Molly's all, "It'll be OK." Girl, what?!

Edited by Mozelle
Jamal is intelligent, willing to try Barry's approach, and I think sincerely wants to be an enlightened, beloved ruler.

I do like that there's a sense of him trying to think things through and he's willing to give Barry's ideas a shot. I mean, he already knows what the General is going to say, so why not hear a different pov?

And truthfully, Jamal wouldn't have had much luck speaking to his people if he had walked in alone, either. Not with what's-his-name stirring everyone up.

Not for nothing, but Barry's reporter friend is beyond naive if he thought that Jamal walking into the square alone, "like a regular citizen" is even remotely doable. He's certainly right to be pissed about them coming in to clear the square out but come on. Their actions in the square did result in Jamal coming down there to give a speech. It's not much, but the father would have probably cleared the place out by the end of the day and shot everyone. A tv broadcast isn't that bad of an idea. 

Wow, was I confused about Molly tonight. It's really jarring from her out and out cluelessness before. I'm actually much more interested in the daughter now because she is *miserable* and she's the only other person besides Barry who seems to understand that killing 20000 of your countrymen is a pretty Bad Thing.

I don't know how long the show is planned to run, but I don't think Barry becoming Tyrant should happen just yet. I could see being installed as leader in the season ender would be a good "oh shit, now what?" moment, and then the second season would be a slow spiral into his brutality possibly. I think there certainly should be more than 3 episodes of Barry trying to do the right thing. And, if he's installed as the leader, then Jamal has to go. He's been interesting so far. So I'm interested in whether Barry says 'fuck it, I'm taking over' or Jamal dies in a coup, etc. 

Molly. Oh my goodness, Molly. It's like they can't decide what they want her to be, so they just use her as the Expositionary Tool. She has shown no awareness of danger, politics, human nature or anything else, in previous episodes. Now in this one, she goes from "It's probably a bad idea to ask the help their opinions on the politics of the country, they wouldn't feel comfortable talking about that," to "what?! You aren't allowed to watch the news?" to spouting off how many years it's taken various war-torn regions to establish peace and telling Bassam that he's expecting too much too soon. Who is this woman? Oh right, no one knows, especially the writers.

• Love 1
(edited)

I see this much differently. Drawing this out is what makes the show interesting. Can the way Westerners view social mores and rights work in a country and region like this? Can anything work when the people have been broken for decades? This is Russia after glasnost, and the Middle East pretty much all the time. What effect can Barry have? What can Jamal actually achieve? Does a Quadafi end have to be inevitable? What can Barry and family learn from the ME perspective? Is there a middle cultural ground? Layer on top of all of that the individual stories ... Barry and his past, Sammy and being gay, the rebels and what they want (is it just power, or actual justice?), the reporter and whether he can still make a difference with his reporting, Tariq and whether his way has been passed by in modern society, and on and on.

IMO, once Barry becomes the tyrant, this show ceases to be interesting. At that point, it is a soap opera about a royal family.

I agree completely. I don't expect Barry to become the evil dictator, however, as I don't believe that the scene where Bassam shot the man as a child was meant as foreshadowing of his own tyrannical future. I think the show's premise will be right along the lines of what you're suggesting, above--and I'm looking forward to it--so I hope I'm not being Pollyanna in assuming the writers had something more nuanced in mind regarding the portent of that scene.

Edited by Mei

Maybe, but he still has his medical practice to fall back on (/snark)

Those are exactly the issues I wanted to watch unfold, too. Unfortunately, I think the gas attack backstory was too huge and effectively puts the kibosh on most of the "compromise" plotlines.

So the people have been forced, for years, to hide their bitterness and resentment over an atrocity of that magnitude, perpetrated by THIS family? There's little chance anything short of a complete overthrow would salve that kind of festering wound. Jamal could make a hundred public appearances trying to explain how he's different from his father and no one's going to say, "Well, he seems like a decent enough chap; let's give him the benefit of the doubt."

I have to agree with General Tariq--the only way the Alfayeeds can hope to continue in power is by keeping that foot firmly planted on the peoples' throat. Tyranny, indeed.

P.S. I hope the title refers to the concept more than to Bassam himself. Genocide father compared to Jamal (vicious rapist; open to sensible advice!) compared to White Knight/Inner Demons Barry/Bassam.

This was better. Wife who knows nothing was less stupid this show, and 'check the block' gay son was at least keeping it on the downlow for once (as you really should as the ruling family of an Arab county). Overall, the show gets better each episode.

I think a lot of people would have forgotten, especially someone Samira's age.

Look at the way the anniversary of the Tiennamen Square massacre went unnoticed by most Chinese.

• Love 1