Type keyword(s) to search

The Bachelor Presents: Listen To Your Heart - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Since there's no thread yet, I figured I'd start one.

ABC's description of the show:

The Bachelor Presents: Listen to Your Heart unites two of the most emotionally powerful forces in human life: music and love, as 20 single men and women embark on an incredible journey to find love through music. Singing well-known songs, both individually and as couples, they will look to form attractions through the melodies, find and reveal their feelings and ultimately, fall in love.

The eligible bachelors and bachelorettes will meet and explore their relationships while living together and going on Bachelor-style dates that focus on music. Once the couples commit to each other, it will be time to take their relationship to the next level. The harmony of the couples will be tested through musical challenges, including live performances judged by some of the biggest names in the music business. Ultimately, the couples whose performances reveal their love and devotion to one another will continue to be given a chance to further their relationships until only one couple is left standing.

I watched the first episode tonight. I can't tell yet if I was truly into the show, or if I solely enjoyed it because Quarantine: Day 179365; lost my mind.

Is Jamie a particularly immature 21-year-old or am I just now a grumpy old lady?

I really enjoyed Rubi's singing voice. And the fact that she saved Ryan.

Also, after he said "Ladies, one final piece of advice..." I knew Chris Harrison was going to say "...listen to your heart." And I hate it...but also appreciate that they didn't just settle for having the show title stand on its own as cheese, but fully committed to having Chris (...I hope?) say it every week.

Also loved that Matt couldn't think of Chris' last name. "Chris...Hanson?" Oh no, Matt, you'd be walking into a very different house if Chris Hanson was the host.

And poor eliminated leather jacket dude didn't get a word in all episode. Farewell, leather jacket dude. We hardly absolutely didn't knew ye.

Edited by dvr devotee
edited to add show summary
  • LOL 3
  • Love 8

I forgot everyone’s names between last night and this morning—or, well, I probably never knew most of their names, but I at least had the opportunity to look for their names on screen. 

So that young, pretty girl who goes heavy on the blush couldn’t choose between a Jed lookalike (with Jed’s same jacket!) and a version of Sean Mendez who was accidentally microwaved and his head melted a bit. She definitely had more chemistry with “Jed” but “microwaved Sean” was a better singer. 

That Rudi girl was a mess! (I do remember her name because she was “a whole mood” as the kids say.) That guy with the swoopy hair and beard did NOT say let’s go on this date, etc. In fact, I was talking to my TV yelling at her to stop because SHE was the one going on about how she can’t wait to go on the date, etc, and he said NOTHING because it was obvious he was asking the one with the purple hair. On the other hand, he SHOULD have spoken up at the time just to be polite—not that he “owed” her an explanation...nor the sob-filled “breakup” she put on later. Jeesh! She was a good singer, but, yikes, girl!

I’m glad the “hot blonde” decided to pick “the guy with long hair and a hat.” He was a good singer, too.

We didn’t really see much of anyone else, but I appreciated the “Tell Me More” rundown of the thwarted kiss at the end.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

I have to rewatch since I was only half watching the beginning.... but Rudi is such a drama queen, although I am glad she picked who she did.   

Did a new woman arrive next week (previews)?    This is some kind of weird BIP/ BP hybrid?   Are there challenges?    The 2 dates were pretty unequal.  One pair records a so g and the other goes to a concert.   How is music going to factor into things going forward?  Is there a prize (other than love)?

• Love 3

This is just Bachelor in Paradise in California, right? Same setup, but we get musical interludes, which slightly raises the quality of the viewer experience.  All these folks have musical careers on the line, so I'm not sure the producers are going to be able to convince them to do their bidding the same as their usual crop.

• Love 3

Rudi is insane. I'm never certain why a person (usually one of the women) thinks that giving another person a shrieky dressing-down will somehow eventually win them over. A calm discussion is usually the better option if you're feeling - however incorrectly - that you've been wronged. But then again it's silly of me to expect that with this franchise. 😊

I thought Ryan had a lovely voice, far nicer than Jamie's. Hers wasn't bad, just not as strong as his. And agree that his was nicer than Trevor's. I was bummed but not surprised that Jamie picked Trevor and was delighted that Rudi picked Ryan even though that had producer-driven written all over it.

I thought Sheridan was really nice and am glad he got to stay.

I was a bit put off at how many times we saw some of the men pressuring the women for a kiss on the first night. It was. . . kind of gross.

The serenading is always cringey but I guess it's going to be par for the course with this show so I'm going to have to prepare myself for it with more than just one glass of wine. 😂

• Love 4

That Matt guy is from the next town over from me.

I can't wait to hear how musically talented each one of these people are. Ryan's got a very good voice.

Sheridan's voice.. IMO not that great.

Creepy, smiley "Let's start instantly kissing" guy... what happened with him? Did somebody pick him?

Edited by SassyCat
  • Love 1

The lockdown has me watching this, because I was definitely not going to after the boredom of Pilot Pete.  I have to say, though, where I came very close to turning off the first three episodes of Petey, this did keep me entertained.  We'll see.

• Love 3

Thanks for starting the thread @dvr devotee. I almost did last night, but was too tired. So I was glad to find this today.

I dropped out of Pilot Pete before mid season, something I've never done before, his season was more dreck than I could handle. But I had a good time watching this last night, it was all kinds of a good time. I even passed on two other shows I watched instead of Bachelor Pete in order to catch this. I'm glad it exists. It's the kind of corn I need right now.

The long-haired guy with the hat is Sheridan. I remember his name, it's so unusual. He even said he looked different enough that he would be remembered, which is a true statement. I posted in the Small Talk thread that sans hat and with hair pulled back, he's pretty good looking. With hat and hair hanging, not so much. But I'm glad he was saved.

Yeah, Ryan (?) being picked at the end was for sure producer driven. Because how can this franchise survive without conflict and villains. I think Ryan is the guy with the tall Eraserhead hair, but I've pretty much forgotten everyone's name (except the memorable Sheridan!) overnight. Still, looking forward to more laughs and fun Monday nights with yous guys.

• Love 4

I knew as soon as Jamie said she didn't want any drama that she would be front and center for mega drama and she didn't disappoint, lol.  It was easy to tell who she would pick based on the way she kissed each guy.  One scene looked like a disney channel family movie and the other belonged on Skinamax.

We haven't seen much of her beyond reacting to the other "couples" at the end, but from her intro I can tell that musical theater girl is going to get on my nerves.  I love musical theater and theater in general, but I've also been around way too many of her type.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, leocadia said:

It was easy to tell who she would pick based on the way she kissed each guy.  One scene looked like a disney channel family movie and the other belonged on Skinamax.

I kind of agree with this, but not totally. Whenever people kiss on reality TV, I watch the man, to figure out if he's a good kisser or not. Trevor looked like he's a good kisser in general, and when someone is a good kisser, it's easy to get drawn into a full-blown, hot and heavy makeout session with that person. Ryan looked like an okay kisser, but definitely not as passionate or aggressive (good aggressive, not bad aggressive)  as Trevor was. I think if Ryan was a really good kisser and had been able to draw Jamie into seriously making out, he would have had much, much better odds of getting her rose.

Thoughts on who says the line heard in the promo, "It's no fun singing a love song when you're not in love!" After this first episode, I totally think it's Jamie.

I was thinking this would be like BIP, just in the mansion, with new contestants coming on each week to tempt people out of their current couples. But then I read this article, and this part stood out:

When a couple decides to commit to each other, they learn songs to perform for a panel of judges, who vote whether their romantic vibe translates to the music strongly enough for them to stay in the house and continue singing together.

I like the twist of who stays not being up to the contestants to decide. So we currently have eight couples, with five episodes to go. They must start showing performances with judges next week, right?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, JenE4 said:

We didn’t really see much of anyone else, but I appreciated the “Tell Me More” rundown of the thwarted kiss at the end.

That end credits scene was like a nightmarish version of "Summer Lovin". 

I can't imagine I am going to like anyone on a musical level, so I'm watching the same as any other iteration of The Bachelor.

So as usual, I pick my favorites, and go from there. So far I like Savannah, Julia and Bri.

Savannah I like purely on looks. She is absolutely gorgeous. But I get the feeling she's going to get a villain edit sooner rather than later.

Julia is quite good looking as well. Thing is, she seems familiar, and I think she looks like a celebrity, but for the life of me, I can't think which one.

Bri seems nice and normal, so she's probably not long for the show. 

The rest of the women are either annoying (Rudi and Jamie) or forgettable (the other three).

None of the guys stood out for any good reasons. Frankly, I found myself thinking most of Michael Todd, but only because I heard his name and thought of Elizabeth Taylor. 

Then I felt really old, because I am certain I was the only one who thought that.

Edited by reggiejax
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, dvr devotee said:

Whenever people kiss on reality TV, I watch the man, to figure out if he's a good kisser or not.

I don't remember any names, but one guy looked like he was going at a melting triple-dipper ice cream cone when he was macking on some woman whose name i can't remember. I just said "Ewww" and had to look away. I assume some PA had a couple of towels and some Soft Scrub ready for both when the guy decided to stop.

• LOL 4

I didn’t watch, but as I mentioned in the Bachelor chat thread a girl originally from my hometown in MS is supposed to be on the show. Her name is Ruby Jane and she has been a musician since she was a kid. She had success as a fiddler and would go back and forth to Nashville. She moved to Austin when she was a teenager. She had blonde hair, but I think it’s a pinkish color right now from the photos I’ve seen. From all of your comments, it seems she wasn’t on this week, but will appear at some point. 

• Love 1

The only difference between this show and BIP besides the music angle is we don't previously know any of these people. They don't have the Bachelorette/Bachelor baggage. One good thing is that they haven't already been communicating with each other like on BIP and waiting for certain people to show up.  Hell there is nothing much else to watch!

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Palomar said:

The only difference between this show and BIP besides the music angle is we don't previously know any of these people. They don't have the Bachelorette/Bachelor baggage. One good thing is that they haven't already been communicating with each other like on BIP and waiting for certain people to show up.  Hell there is nothing much else to watch!

For me it kind of helped me understand why they switched to a model of continuity a while back.  I tried to watch this but it was a bit much seeing so many new people trying to establish relationships.  I partly couldn't keep them straight, and then I also found I didn't want to.  I can see why for some it is a good thing, but for me I just decided I couldn't take anymore --and that is before all of the making out started.  lol

10 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Watched about the last 40 minutes and I can already tell this show sucks big time. I doubt any of the contestants would even get very far on The Voice or American Idol. 

Well you know Chris did say in the beginning it was all about love more than anything.  lol!

• Love 3
On 4/14/2020 at 8:12 AM, JenE4 said:

... a version of Sean Mendez who was accidentally microwaved and his head melted a bit.

I laughed so hard at this that, I won't lie, I peed a little. It is just so perfectly apt lol.

22 hours ago, threebluestars said:

This show is horrible, I love it.

Exactly!

23 hours ago, SassyCat said:

Creepy, smiley "Let's start instantly kissing" guy... what happened with him? Did somebody pick him?

It was the same guy that sang that awful(-ly awesome) song and Rudi showed her ass as she was dancing to it, right? If so, he went home, which I found deeply disappointing because he was a riot.

I haven't fully watched The Bachelor in awhile and honestly probably wouldn't have watched this but with the quarantine giving me so much free time I was like might as well watch. And boy am I glad I did. I forgot what a laugh riot The Bachelor can be!

I thought most of the ones we heard singing in this ep were decent-good. I loved Rudi's voice. I really look forward to seeing them actually sing. I hope it starts next ep.

Is John Mayer a sponsor or something lol?

• Love 5

I watched it out of boredom. It seemed like the women were there to find a guy and the guys were there to get a rose and be on TV. I do like music though so I will probably watch. It sounds less dumb then the baker and the beauty show whatever that is.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I watched it out of boredom. It seemed like the women were there to find a guy and the guys were there to get a rose and be on TV. I do like music though so I will probably watch. It sounds less dumb then the baker and the beauty show whatever that is.

That will change next week when there are more women than men and the shoe is on the other foot. 

Beard guy and purple hair girls date when they were up at the microphone: I wonder if they sang something but it got cut for time or cut for copyright issues? It just seemed really odd that the other date with 'no drama' girl and John Mayer Jr. was actually geared towards producing music and the other date wasn't, but they were at a mic for some unknown reason.

Speaking of John Mayer Jr.: 'no drama' girl is a fool for not choosing him from a strategic level. She is attracted to him already, so that was already a plus, but he's a way better singer than the other dude (and she heard both of them sing), he instantly transposed the song into a key more suitable to her and he arranged the song pretty effortlessly. His skill set is way more impressive than the other dude who didn't show any signs of having a vibrato or a standout voice.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Beamish said:

Beard guy and purple hair girls date when they were up at the microphone: I wonder if they sang something but it got cut for time or cut for copyright issues? It just seemed really odd that the other date with 'no drama' girl and John Mayer Jr. was actually geared towards producing music and the other date wasn't, but they were at a mic for some unknown reason.

Speaking of John Mayer Jr.: 'no drama' girl is a fool for not choosing him from a strategic level. She is attracted to him already, so that was already a plus, but he's a way better singer than the other dude (and she heard both of them sing), he instantly transposed the song into a key more suitable to her and he arranged the song pretty effortlessly. His skill set is way more impressive than the other dude who didn't show any signs of having a vibrato or a standout voice.

Do the contestants know that’s the game? I feel like we learned that in the previews for what’s coming up, but I don’t remember Harrison telling them yet that they’re going to pair up and win a duet competition a la the final ice-skating challenge in Bachelor Winter Games.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Just Carol said:

Some of the guys are gay, right?

Sheridan definitely has extreme bisexual energy with the way he was describing how hot Mr. Clean was. He's my favorite right now.

1 hour ago, Beamish said:

Totally agree with this. Ryan (? Melted Sean Mendez) seems like a nice guy and decent boyfriend material. Trevor is an aging fuckboy, but has better game as a result, so Jaime is hornier for him. The triangle reminds me of Dylan/Hannah/Blake where Dylan just had to let Hannah drool over Blake for a while before she was turned off by his relationship drama (which, if messy blonde ex is an indication, will happen with Trevor next week). Jaime will probably pick him eventually, but she seems to have Shiny Object Syndrome and is historically only into emotionally unavailable men, so we'll see. She was picked to be an absolute disaster on this show because of the constant influx of new temptation. It's like Corinne and Ashley I. had a musically inept baby.

Jamie is the most 21 a 21 year old can be.  Sheesh.

Rudi, girl.  When Matt said "I want to go on that date with you", he was responding to your perfect date (which, funnily enough, was my and my husband's second date!), not stating he was going to take you on the date card date.  You heard what you wanted to hear.  And you are kinda crazy.

Not the best show out there, but entertaining enough for us to follow.  

• Love 7
On 4/15/2020 at 8:14 AM, alexa said:

For me it kind of helped me understand why they switched to a model of continuity a while back.  I tried to watch this but it was a bit much seeing so many new people trying to establish relationships.  I partly couldn't keep them straight, and then I also found I didn't want to. 

That's the same exact thing with the start of each Bachelor or B-ette season. We get 30 people we know nothing about, except the few the show decides to give us some back story on. We have to keep watching to figure out who is whom. No name tags, and if their THs don't add a name underneath, contestants can stay nameless for weeks if not a month or more of episodes. Especially when all the women look alike ... long blond extension hair, parted in the middle.

Which is why I only know Sheridan for sure on this show so far. I'm all for the all-new-people thing, and the singing is a nice addition. I wish Love-It-Don't-Come-Easy Wes and Sherpa-Coat Jed could be on, and Boat-Singer Carly could make an appearance too. At least these contestants won't have me cringing when they sing or play piano/guitar. I hope, anyway. I'm in for the duration. *fingers crossed*

• Love 3

Why is this one girl getting all the dates?! Two for two episodes and dates?! Come on! Casting didn’t do that good of a job if she’s the only one with a storyline. Oh—twist—turns out TREVOR is the only one with a storyline so they needed to get him out of the house so this new girl can badmouth him to the whole house. 

Hello? Is anyone here? This is a bad sign that we’ve been locked in our houses for more than a month and still no one is watching this show. 

• Love 8

Jamie doesn't play an instrument and has never sung anywhere but in her bedroom to no one and she is on this show ... why?

New woman comes from New York and, in short, declares herself a bitch, and is there to ruin Jamie's life. Alrighty then. Don't care. Don't care that Trevor had girlfriends in the past. They all did (or do). Such an old trope for this franchise.

At least Trevor can sing and play, being a professional lbusker.

Just now, JenE4 said:

Hello? Is anyone here? This is a bad sign that we’ve been locked in our houses for more than a month and still no one is watching this show. 

LOL!

• Love 4

I'm here. Still reeling from that weird Imperial Emperor from Star Wars-looking black jacket Chris Harrison rolled in wearing.

3 minutes ago, JenE4 said:

Why is this one girl getting all the dates?! Two for two episodes and dates?!

Yeah! And there are only six episodes, so it's not like everyone will get their screen time in the next ten weeks.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
Just now, TheFinalRose said:

I'm here. Still reeling from that weird Imperial Emperor from Star Wars-looking black jacket Chris Harrison rolled in wearing.

Oh, I know! What was up with that? There has to be a story.

New NY woman heard all about Trevor from his ex, she's never met Trevor. So of course the breakup was all HIS fault. His explanation to Jamie was more well-rounded, and made perfect sense. Not every relationship works or stays one.

NY Natasha = brought on only to stir sh*t. Geesh, leave everyone alone bitch.

*sigh*  I was hoping this show would be better. Instead it's just more of the same.

Julia is the Seinfeld two-faced woman.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, TheFinalRose said:

Yeah! And there are only six episodes, so it's not like everyone will get their screen time in the next ten weeks.  

Yeah, wardrobe tried too hard to make Harrison look “cool.” But you can’t suddenly make a middle aged man look like he’s walking the carpet of the MTV Video Music Awards when we‘ve only seen him dressed like a game show host for 20 years. DaaaaAAAAd! How embarrassing!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

This blonde warlock beeyotch had her marching orders from production to create DRAMA. Why does this Trevor dude feel he has to answer to her? And Jamie is in tears already after knowing this guy for 48 hours?  

This show is terrible.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Oh, I know! What was up with that? There has to be a story.

New NY woman heard all about Trevor from his ex, she's never met Trevor. So of course the breakup was all HIS fault. His explanation to Jamie was more well-rounded, and made perfect sense. Not every relationship works or stays one.

NY Natasha = brought on only to stir sh*t. Geesh, leave everyone alone bitch.

*sigh*  I was hoping this show would be better. Instead it's just more of the same.

Julia is the Seinfeld two-faced woman.

Does this new woman even SING?!? She’s only here to torpedo Trevor. This makes NO sense. “There’s a guy named Trevor.” “Oh, Trevor from American Idol who cheated on my friend?!?” What???? How would one “guess” that unless she were cast specifically for this reason?!? I mean maybe if it were Sheridan that’s a unique enough name to perhaps make a supposition, but Trevor is a pretty basic name for a dude in his twenties. And now Jamie is hysterically crying. He didn’t cheat on you. If anything, she “cheated” going back and forth between him and melted Shawn Mendez.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Natasha is ragging on Trevor and I left, couldn't listen to it. Been outside playing ball with the dogs. I would have stayed if Trevor had told Natasha to take a hike, or just a big flat NO when she INSISTED she talk to him RIGHTNOW.

And Jamie's known this guy for a day yet Natasha is there to save her? Please.

Got a laugh that Jamie pocketed the cash from the street singing (did she shove it in her bra?) and they walked off, leaving the microphone to be stolen by anyone.

13 minutes ago, JenE4 said:

That was a pretty rough dumping: don’t buy the wedding dress. Ouch!

So did Natasha succeed in her mission, the producers hired her to break up Jamie and Trrevor. Did she earn her pay and trip to LA?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

So did Natasha succeed in her mission, the producers hired her to break up Jamie and Trrevor. Did she earn her pay and trip to LA?

No. Trevor and Jamie had a long talk but they were mumbling into each other’s shoulders so I didn’t understand a word of it, but they kissed at the end and Jamie had a voiceover that she didn’t care what happened 2 years ago.

Someone names Danny had a chyron that said he’s a celebrity impersonator. I’m guessing Ricky Martin—if I had to squint and guess what celebrity he thinks he looks like.

Sheridan and Bree (I think her name is) sounded great together—especially for just pulling out a song without a chance to rehearse.

ETA: Nope. It’s not Bree. She was the one on the other date. This one is Julia.

Edited by JenE4
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, JenE4 said:

Jamie had a voiceover that she didn’t care what happened 2 years ago.

Oh, thank you. I totally agree with that statement, even though I don't care if Jamie and Trevor are a couple. Now's the time for Natashya to get up on stage and sing while everyone heckles her.

There's a Danny? LOL!

Did Sheridan goof up a line at the beginning of that song? Oops. Heh.

6 minutes ago, JenE4 said:

Sheridan and Bree (I think her name is) sounded great together—especially for just pulling out a song without a chance to rehearse.

ABC had to pay for the rights to sing these songs on air so the contestants probably all got a list of approved songs and have probably been practicing them or carrying the lyrics in their pockets. Cuz otherwise, how could they just perform like that?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, JenE4 said:

Why is this one girl getting all the dates?! Two for two episodes and dates?! Come on! Casting didn’t do that good of a job if she’s the only one with a storyline. Oh—twist—turns out TREVOR is the only one with a storyline so they needed to get him out of the house so this new girl can badmouth him to the whole house. 

I don’t think she got two dates.  The guy got the date card last week and invited her to join him. This week she got the date card so she and Trevor would be out of the house when the NYC woman showed up. M

• Useful 1
2 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

I don’t think she got two dates.  The guy got the date card last week and invited her to join him. This week she got the date card so she and Trevor would be out of the house when the NYC woman showed up. M

Yeah, but that’s what I meant. She was just asked out on a date and then they gave her a date card. Why not give it to someone who hasn’t been on a date yet—other than to ramp up the drama with Trevor’s cheating past.

• Love 4