Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: Casualties

mxc90
  • Start Topic

First Aired: March 15, 2020

Officers Nolan and Harper investigate a murder which may have national security implications, while Officer Bradford must confront his past when he crosses paths with a homeless veteran.

(edited)

Roger Cross must have the greatest agent. Cross has been consistently busy acting since the 90s. He and Chen should have had a some dialogue. I loved them in "Dark Matter".

This week was first I thought about Thalia since last season. Has the show missed her?

C4 in the cake? Inside the house? I feel sorry for the babies to have these people as parents.

Lucy still could have checked with West to bring a dog in the apartment. She thoroughly cleaned the living room and ignored his. "Would you take him for a walk? " Click!!

Armstrong was out longer from work than Chen? Chen had the most trauma from the event.

To add to Nolan's stress, it took him a while to catch a man with a prosthetic leg.

Could Grey match the bullet first before declaring the case solved?

Did the husband not see Wendy making eyes at Bradford? Did he get arrested for firing the gun?

How did they know Nolan was going to be visited that night? Maybe the Fitbit is also a warning device for DIA agents making house calls. 

Nolan is the weak link? NF approve of this to be added to the script?

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 7

Best bits from the episode:

- Lopez just continuing to be a badass.

- More backstory on Bradford and we continue to understand why he has such a harden exterior: His relationship with his father, The military, and Isabel.

- I am slowly realizing that Chen has kind of become Bradford’s light/sunshine. She has been the one person on the show that understands what he is feeling, helped him through some tough shit (Isabel returning, the virus from the season 1 finale, the SGt exam, that accident, and now).

- CUJO!

- Dark Matter reunion

The bad:

- I get that Grace is like the only doctor in this universe, but I’m just tired of her. Maybe it’s because they brought her on just to be thrusted into Nolan’s love life and a continued reminder that Nolan can’t stay single for more then one episode.

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, Brian Cronin said:

I love the Bradford/Chen dynamic, but man, they better not date. Men and women can have close relationships without fucking! Honest!

See, I’m fine with it going romantic, if they slow burn it and not just pull the trigger this season or the next. If they go to 4 seasons, I’m cool with it finally doing it then.

• Love 1

Per IMDB: Cross' character is Norman Jangus. He is a nice colonel to give his men a break/not delegate and take down the street camera(s).

I wonder if the writers had plans to make Armstrong dirty (with Rosiland last secret to Nolan) but scrapped the idea with his quick answer.

• Love 1

This entire show has just gone off the charts.

Shouldn't Nolan just be doing domestic violence calls and traffic stops at this point in his career??

An old show, Adam 12, made it interesting without resorting to all the crazy.  It has gotten ridiculous.

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, devilhalo said:

If you don’t like the show, why do you want a season 3? 

I do like the show - it is okay to be critical.  Not every episode is the best.  Last night was a little nuts.

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, devilhalo said:

18 minutes ago, devilhalo said:

Again, it is 100% okay to be critical.  That is how they stay on the air.  Listen to viewers complaints.  That is how I have kept my job.  You have to listen to people.

• Love 2

Even though it was a tad unrealistic I thought the show was FINALLY back on track last night! There has been too much stupid over the last three episodes. Adored cujo! I bet we never see him again though. 😔

I'm much better with Bradford and Kujo's romance than I will be with the seemingly inevitable Bradford and Chen romance.

How the eff did they know that "Jangus" was going to show up at Nolan's apartment and threaten him.  That was just all kinds of fantasy-land.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, crowceilidh said:

I'm much better with Bradford and Kujo's romance than I will be with the seemingly inevitable Bradford and Chen romance.

How the eff did they know that "Jangus" was going to show up at Nolan's apartment and threaten him.  That was just all kinds of fantasy-land.

Nolan was the only one who seen and interacted with the guy and Nolan knows "Jangus" tampered with video evidence so sooner or later Nolan would have to look the guy up and question him. Makes sense to go directly after Nolan after the guy found out that official questions were being asked about him and his crew.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, break21 said:

Ratings were good again.  -08 - beat all scripted shows for the night.  Season 3, here we come!

I agree. Not getting a renewal at this point would be a shock.  That 0.8 demo in the 18-49 is fantastic for a 10 pm. slot and as you said, the highest rating for all scripted shows. ABC must be really happy as this is the 4th week in a row of solid Rookie ratings. 

For me, this has been a pleasant surprise on Sunday nights.  While not the best show, I stay up to watch it. Last time I did this for an ABC show on a Sunday night was for Boston Legal over 15 years ago! Denny Crane!

• Love 5
15 hours ago, CheetaraThunder said:

- I am slowly realizing that Chen has kind of become Bradford’s light/sunshine. She has been the one person on the show that understands what he is feeling, helped him through some tough shit (Isabel returning, the virus from the season 1 finale, the SGt exam, that accident, and now).

I'm good with the romance and I think ABC is starting to realize how popular this potential pairing is with the fans. I like that both Bradford and Chen seem to have their own stories being fleshed out each week on this show that is independent of everything else.  They are being much more developed as characters that the others on the show (except Nolan of course). 

Another thing that I forgot to mention in my previous post, is that I appreciate all the great songs that have been featured on the show. Pretty much are all unknown to me so I've discovered some great artists along the way.    

• Love 3
11 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Cross' character is Norman Jangus. He is a nice colonel to give his men a break/not delegate and take down the street camera(s).

I still think Jangus was the real neck snapping killer and the guy who Jangus fingered for the murder was "taking one for the team" by agreeing that he did it. If I'm right, and if this plot arc continues, the camera feed will rematerialize with Jangus at the scene at the time of the crime. IIRC, Jangus said very pointedly to his puzzled crew member that he did have to take one for the team.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I still think Jangus was the real neck snapping killer and the guy who Jangus fingered for the murder was "taking one for the team" by agreeing that he did it. If I'm right, and if this plot arc continues, the camera feed will rematerialize with Jangus at the scene at the time of the crime. IIRC, Jangus said very pointedly to his puzzled crew member that he did have to take one for the team.

Also, Jangus was very confident their lawyers would get him off because they had circumstantial evidence. I would be surprised if this story continues. This DIA group has way too much firepower for the LAPD misfits to handle.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

IIRC, Jangus said very pointedly to his puzzled crew member that he did have to take one for the team.

From subtitles, he said:

"Your sloppiness jeopardized our operation, so you are being sacrificed for the greater good.
All they have is circumstantial evidence. So keep your mouth shut, listen to the lawyer, and you'll be out in no time."

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Thomas Crown said:

I'm good with the romance and I think ABC is starting to realize how popular this potential pairing is with the fans. I like that both Bradford and Chen seem to have their own stories being fleshed out each week on this show that is independent of everything else.  They are being much more developed as characters that the others on the show (except Nolan of course). 

Another thing that I forgot to mention in my previous post, is that I appreciate all the great songs that have been featured on the show. Pretty much are all unknown to me so I've discovered some great artists along the way.    

Besides Eric/Melissas chemistry, I think that’s another big reason why I’m slowly on board. They are becoming these real flesh out characters independent from anything else and it’s nothing to out of the box kind of storylines either.

i guess it also helps how supportive of the pair, Eric and Melissa are on their social media.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Thomas Crown said:

Just as long as they don't break Officer Bradford's character. Let him make Sergeant or just finish Officer Chen's training/probationary year first.

With the 'Night General" still serving as a mentor to Officer Nolan I guess that does provide a future for him and Detective Harper. Which leave us with Officers Lopez and West's futures in season three

• Love 2

Are we going to overlook the fact that the answers to two of Bradford's security questions were "Lady Marmalade" and "Xanadu"? As in "What is your favorite song?" and "What is your favorite movie?"

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, Rambler said:

Are we going to overlook the fact that the answers to two of Bradford's security questions were "Lady Marmalade" and "Xanadu"? As in "What is your favorite song?" and "What is your favorite movie?"

I shall overlook that you knew what those answers were!

• LOL 3
18 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

Yes, let Bradford go home and kiss Kujo! This show started with Chen seriously struggling about her secret relationship with a co-worker, Nolan, that she ended.  How could we possibly think she would be just fine with a relationship with her direct superior? Unless Bradford leaves and I don't see that happening.

I prefer their working "partnership" over some kind of romantic partnership. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 3/15/2020 at 8:46 PM, mxc90 said:

Roger Cross must have the greatest agent. Cross has been consistently busy acting since the 90s. He and Chen should have had a some dialogue. I loved them in "Dark Matter".

Oh man, I'm crap at recognizing connections like that. They should definitely have had some dialogue. Loved that show.

On 3/16/2020 at 1:18 AM, CheetaraThunder said:

I get that Grace is like the only doctor in this universe, but I’m just tired of her. Maybe it’s because they brought her on just to be thrusted into Nolan’s love life and a continued reminder that Nolan can’t stay single for more then one episode.

What makes me sad is that this is the first time I've actually liked the actress on a show, and she's in it too much. Besides, a fitbit that beeps? All kinds of wrong for a cop who has to go down dark corridors and sneak up on someone.

On 3/16/2020 at 6:12 AM, break21 said:

Shouldn't Nolan just be doing domestic violence calls and traffic stops at this point in his career??

An old show, Adam 12, made it interesting without resorting to all the crazy.  It has gotten ridiculous.

I hated this storyline. I've seen it on other cop shows, but not quite as excessive. For most cop shows, I like smaller story lines with very few overarching plots.

5 hours ago, paigow said:

Could have been " Where does Charles Foster Kane live?"

Or, "Where did Kubla Khan build his stately pleasure dome?"

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

a fitbit that beeps? All kinds of wrong for a cop who has to go down dark corridors and sneak up on someone.

I was sure that was going to happen --and if the writing was better, it could have happened and been more comic relief, which NF is great at doing.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I was sure that was going to happen --and if the writing was better, it could have happened and been more comic relief, which NF is great at doing.

They did it on Lethal Weapon. Murtaugh got nervous during a raid and warned the bad guys..

Did you hear the door to West's bedroom make that clicking sound that you hear from the latch when you open a closed door? Apparently, that dog is so smart, he closed the door behind himself. The question is, did he also open the door? You'd think West would've kept his door closed since he didn't like the dog.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 3/16/2020 at 4:18 AM, CheetaraThunder said:

I get that Grace is like the only doctor in this universe, but I’m just tired of her. Maybe it’s because they brought her on just to be thrusted into Nolan’s love life and a continued reminder that Nolan can’t stay single for more then one episode.

She just seems so generic to me, and very obviously not meant to be around for too long. IMO it's just a waste of screen time.

On 3/15/2020 at 11:46 PM, mxc90 said:

This week was first I thought about Thalia since last season. Has the show missed her?

Sadly, I don't think so. Harper is a pretty good replacement; and the show has so many other characters with their own storylines, so it's not lacking anything. I honestly didn't even consider it til you mentioned her. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

Sadly, I don't think so. Harper is a pretty good replacement; and the show has so many other characters with their own storylines, so it's not lacking anything. I honestly didn't even consider it til you mentioned her. 

She still appears on those 1 second flash promos where all you see is a picture of a member or two of the cast - at least on Hulu. Which makes me wonder if she gets paid for them.

(edited)
On 3/16/2020 at 6:12 AM, break21 said:

Well it is a different era and Adam-12 had its share of job hi-jinks. Most famously was when Jack Webb introduced the S.W.A.T.,team to America  as it was spelled out by a radio reporter  on Adam-12. And wouldn't you know it Malloy and his probationary boot Reed went to pick up coveralls and M-16s as they stopped the patrol officer stuff mid episode and became part of the SWAT team.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1
On 3/15/2020 at 8:46 PM, mxc90 said:

He also has not aged.

• Love 1