Type keyword(s) to search

Season 9 Discussion

• Start Topic

I thought it was embarrassing how quickly Kelly stated that she felt that she and Gil fit in with a family who were clearly out of their league. They were guests and treated to all kind of entertainments which were probably high ticket items. Kelly's contribution? To suggest a picnic, at which her hosts helped prepare.

When Chaney called it quits I wonder how disappointed KellyJo was when she saw the end of that particular gravy-train.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Me from ME said:

When Chaney called it quits I wonder how disappointed KellyJo was when she saw the end of that particular gravy-train.

Oh, I'm sure she was pissed. Kelly was probably picturing herself sunning by that nice pool while Michaela minded all the blessings back home. 

Considering how Trace threw Chaney under the bus after the break-up, La Familia Bates definitely harbored some bitter feelings. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Oh, I'm sure she was pissed. Kelly was probably picturing herself sunning by that nice pool while Michaela minded all the blessings back home. 

And then being taken out to a fine restaurant.

This just illustrates how isolated these people are from the real world. Good hosts make their guests feel welcome and comfortable, not given tasks or tests to gauge how they will fit in with the herd. (Exhibit A: Brandon going on a tree job the first time he visited the Bates.)

• Love 7

I don't know the reason Trace & Chaney broke up but perhaps it was her father who broke them up. I think that little Bates family 'visit' to Texas caused the man to see just what Trace's family is really like.....freeloaders. Maybe it's the biggest favor Chaney's father has done for her in life so far. I feel bad for Trace because he doesn't know any better. His parents have NOT prepared him for life like they think they have. None of the Bates boys are prepared for marriage in the least. Zach had to figure it out himself and get himself a real job outside of the box and become a law enforcement officer. I think Zach knows that his parents may not have all the answers directly from the Almighty's lips  to Gil's ear.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, floridamom said:

I don't know the reason Trace & Chaney broke up but perhaps it was her father who broke them up. I think that little Bates family 'visit' to Texas caused the man to see just what Trace's family is really like.....freeloaders. Maybe it's the biggest favor Chaney's father has done for her in life so far. I feel bad for Trace because he doesn't know any better. His parents have NOT prepared him for life like they think they have. None of the Bates boys are prepared for marriage in the least. Zach had to figure it out himself and get himself a real job outside of the box and become a law enforcement officer. I think Zach knows that his parents may not have all the answers directly from the Almighty's lips  to Gil's ear.

Seeing Chaney's family, I too am left with the impression that on top of Chaney not being head over heels for Trace (at least it didn't seem like she wants him than anything more than a family friend who visits 1x/yr), her dad is the one who talked the real truth to her about life and that's what sparked the break up.

Just from the one scene we saw with Chaney's dad and Trace, he seemed to have NO problem being direct -- and did not care that cameras were there -- as he said "remember what we talked about -- Texas -- I'm not raising them to leave." And then in the interview Trace spins it as -- he's a Godly man who wants his kids to go where God leads, whether that's Tx or Tenn or someplace else. Uh no -- Trace he explicitly said TEXAS, not where the Lord leads, which is what your phony family says.

Someone being this direct likely had NO problem on an earlier visit asking Trace exactly what he does for a living, what he intends to do for a living, and how he will provide for a family. And her dad didn't strike me as a dumb guy or a guy who is removed from reality like G&K. He likely took 2 seconds to figure out that Trace is not a licensed tradesmen and does not intend to be; he's a guy with a religious studies type degree from a non accredited school and he makes $$ when his BIL gets a big construction job and needs a few more guys to help. And when his BIL doesn't have said jobs, Trace sits home -- unless Daddy has a tree job needing a few guys but it seems Daddy doesn't pay. This isn't the kind of thing that screams employability. While your BIL will hire you because he needs a guy, if he were to move to Texas, an actual contractor would require Trace to have some kind of training beyond -- oh I worked for my BIL.

And then dad meets Gil who seems just as much a grifter with a TV show. Would not be surprised AT ALL if Dad expressed his concerns to Chaney directly about how life would look with a guy who makes maybe 20k/yr if we're being generous, likely has no health insurance etc. I mean this is a girl who is used to $$$ -- that house; the restaurant they went to looked very nice and clearly it wasn't her first time there as she was tell Trace about what to try. I'm not trying to say that she is a spoiled brat or anything but it'd be one thing for her to marry a young guy and live in a newish rental apartment, and then move up from there to a small house that can be a renovated, and/or then eventually to a forever home -- kind of the way Kelton went from a rental to a house they're making their own. It's another thing to get with a guy knowing that a 2 bed is probably it and oh BTW you'll be living there with your 5-10 kids.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, answerphone said:

What did I miss? 😶

Was it mentioned on the show or Instagram that they broke up?

Yes, Chaney dumped him back in January. Trace posted about it on IG.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Considering how Trace threw Chaney under the bus after the break-up, La Familia Bates definitely harbored some bitter feelings. 

I'm sure being super special fundies with a tv show and everything, the Bates don't understand how everyone does feel blessed that their daughter has been chosen to be a broodmare for one of their studly young sons.Money or not how could any young lady not jump at the chance to be the mother of their son's quiver? 🙄🙄

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
On 3/27/2020 at 12:38 PM, RebeccatheWriter said:

Last night's episode was a snoozer. Did they get a special deal on a doctor's office room for us to have scenes of Carlin/Evan and Gil/Kelly Jo and their respective doctors? Seriously?

For a family that swears the siblings are so close they are like best friends, these sisters don't know each other at all. You can't tell me that Erin, the overshare princess (Kelly Jo is queen) of the world, never told her sisters and Whitney about he blood clotting disorder and the treatments. Carlin and Evan just seemed so fake shocked, right down to Evan assuming that Carlin would have to come into the office twice a day for shots rather than giving them at home. 

Kelly Jo and Gil are nearly as bad with their stupidity about his shoulder injury.  First of all, he's too old to be acting the way he does. You can't tell me that they were so shocked by the idea he would have to rehab after surgery. He used to do college and high school sports. He freaking knows people who went through similar. Just more evidence they are isolated and self involved. 

Tori sure doesn't act like she loves being a mom. Her entire attitude on the show is more like she just puts up with life in general. I commend Bobby for trying to learn a trade rather than work in ministry that doesn't always pay very well. It's a smart move to learn something practical. I do feel for him though because it is clear that it isn't where his passion lies. The problem is the more kids they have the farther away a dream of ministry and his own church will be for him. 

Surely Bobby’s parents are not loving that they paid for Bobby’s (crappy) college to become some sort of spiritual leader, and then he gives up 6 months later to become a plumber. Plumbing is a great job- but I bet his gated fence FL family looks down on it. 

• Love 6
(edited)
17 hours ago, cereality said:

Just from the one scene we saw with Chaney's dad and Trace, he seemed to have NO problem being direct -- and did not care that cameras were there -- as he said "remember what we talked about -- Texas -- I'm not raising them to leave."

Chills came down my back when he said that...

Just how does one do that as a parent ? Just tell them as they are growing up, from day one, that you are not allowed to leave the state ? And keep telling them until you're not able to tell them no more?

I mean of all of the things we parents do and try to remember to tell them, I would admit telling not to leave the state, as a high priority parental lesson... wow...

BTW: Texas is so geographically large , one could move from Dallas to El Paso, and be just as far away as if they moved to another state..

Edited by sATL
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

"remember what we talked about -- Texas -- I'm not raising them to leave."

It's Texas so I'll use an equine term. Way to hobble your kid. They have the illusion that they are free but can't go far or fast.

However, I've had horses who learned to gallop with their hobbles in place. So I guess the smart ones could get away.

• Love 4
On 4/5/2020 at 10:36 PM, Temperance said:

I'm sure being super special fundies with a tv show and everything, the Bates don't understand how everyone does feel blessed that their daughter has been chosen to be a broodmare for one of their studly young sons.Money or not how could any young lady not jump at the chance to be the mother of their son's quiver? 🙄🙄

Yuw

On 4/5/2020 at 10:36 PM, Temperance said:

The Kahle family surely paid for go-carting for all 10 of them, and treated them to a dinner at Joe T. Garcia’s which is pretty nice place in Fort Worth. Kelly was thinking of all the ways to grift from these wealthy folks! 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, SideofSlaw said:

Yuw

The Kahle family surely paid for go-carting for all 10 of them, and treated them to a dinner at Joe T. Garcia’s which is pretty nice place in Fort Worth. Kelly was thinking of all the ways to grift from these wealthy folks! 

what does father Kahle do for a living ?

(edited)
5 hours ago, sATL said:

what does father Kahle do for a living ?

There is a corporate filing in Texas under his name. It doesn't list the type of business though. There is also a mug shot that looks an awful lot like him online. 

Edited by RebeccatheWriter
  • Useful 2

I hope they were all pretending to be dumb during Tori's birth announcement. Lawson even says they know its some announcement but have no idea what kind. Really Lawson how many kinds of announcements do you guys get? Its always a pregnancy announcement. Earlier during the party he said how nice it was for them all to get together. Yeah Lawson because that's so rare. It only happens all the time. 

The party was half family game night (gee I wonder where they got that idea from) and half birthday party for the September birthdays. I know they have a lot of birthdays that Kelly says their combing them into one. So what Judson doesn't get a separate party or do anything fun? He has to share it with Whitney and Brandon? How fun that's got to be for the kid. I hope he still gets to do something fun for his birthday.

Michael was really cute watching Willow, and so was Brandon. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I hope they were all pretending to be dumb during Tori's birth announcement. Lawson even says they know its some announcement but have no idea what kind. Really Lawson how many kinds of announcements do you guys get? Its always a pregnancy announcement. Earlier during the party he said how nice it was for them all to get together. Yeah Lawson because that's so rare. It only happens all the time. 

The party was half family game night (gee I wonder where they got that idea from) and half birthday party for the September birthdays. I know they have a lot of birthdays that Kelly says their combing them into one. So what Judson doesn't get a separate party or do anything fun? He has to share it with Whitney and Brandon? How fun that's got to be for the kid. I hope he still gets to do something fun for his birthday.

Michael was really cute watching Willow, and so was Brandon. 

Every other show focuses on them all getting together. Seriously, that is more than I get together with people I like let alone family. And given that in the timeline Trace and Chaney were officially dating/courting only recently, what other announcement was there going to be for that family? 

And in terms of that announcement. Why was Josie confused? She already knew, as Tori had told her and was supposed to keep the news a secret. Yet she even interviewed that she didn't know what it meant and thought someone was making am movie. 

I hope that the group birthday thing is just for acknowledgement for the whole family and doesn't disallow something smaller on individual days. 

Some of the girls seem to only like babies and small children only because they "have to do so" under their assigned gender roles. Michaela truly does seem to like kids and want to be around them. While I wouldn't want to see more children raised in such a dangerous and unhealthy mindset as those that the Bates have, I do feel bad for her in the way she and Brandon have struggled to get pregnant. So much of a woman's worth in their belief system and family is wrapped up in her ability to birth a bunch of kids. I have to think her emotional well being is probably hit hard by it all. 

LOL at Josie's definition of some place nice for their anniversary. Chesapeake is a nice family dining kind of place - or as my chef friends say, a turn and burn place. However, it was like they were there before dinner (probably so they could be filmed and not have to worry about too big of a crowd) and were seated in that big booth for a crowd rather than a table to two. 

Edited by RebeccatheWriter
  • Love 4

For people who value marriage more than anything and believe that the husband is the head of the family and the main source of support why are they not encouraging their sons to prepare for a career?  Working for Chad where they probably get paid in cash means no health insurance,  no disability insurance, no life insurance and no unemployment benefits. And in tough times like what we are experiencing now no work. The main thing that I wanted for my daughters was an eduction that led to a career where they could alwys support themselves.  Gill seems to want his daughters to marry men who can support a family. But these Bates guys are not going to find too many women who are willing to settle for a guy with no ambition other than to goof off for a TV. camera. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

It's interesting how certain of their daughters -- esp Alyssa and Josie -- act a bit uppity and better than the rest, and yet their special date nights/anniversary dinners are a family seafood place and even there they are so unexposed to the world that they act all shocked at things like shrimp which can be bought in gigantic frozen bags from stores like Costco. And that scene with Josie and Kelton had be to be shot at like 4 pm on a Tuesday. Not only did they have a booth and a server making SUCH a big deal of the anniversary couple with dessert etc -- which is possible with a camera crew and a restaurant being comped -- but there were literally no other diners anywhere in the camera shot; not even one table in the background had a guest there.

Alyssa is the same re being sooo much better than her family but then routinely posts pics of her and John's special date nights at Cheesecake Factory. Though I guess in this family where you marry young often to men with no marketable abilities, being married to a tradesmen who can take you to Cheesecake Factory or Chesapeake many times a year and on coffee dates weekly like Kelton IS a big deal. For as much as they act like the perfect couple, you never see Chad and Erin or even Zach and Whit going out; and let's be real if they DID go out, they absolutely would brag about it on social media.

Evan for all his obnoxiousness has been legit honest about this. He and Carlin seem to go out but it's always things like fast food or Waffle House and in one of their videos he openly said -- I'm a newlywed and a new father AND I'm still in trade school, budget is definitely a concern. I wonder if it pissed Carlin off that he was so blunt. I mean as much as this family and all fundies used to be about buy used and save the difference, now in social media world they want to portray themselves as influencers and that does not mean showing you have budget issues even if you do.

And on a different note it was Alyssa's first child's birthday and the gushy birthday messages on IG from John and Alyssa were cringe worthy -- all going on about how she's so helpful around the house and with her sisters. Because yes what else should a 5 year old girl be besides helpful with housekeeping and caretaking -- I mean gotta teach her young because if she's anything like her mother, she only has 14 years until she fulfills her only destiny as wife and mom.

• Love 4

To be fair, all of the married couples do indulge on some pricey things to some extent. Josie and Alyssa seem to like going out to eat a lot. Erin and Chad are constantly redecorating and going on little mini-vacations to different places that are in driving distance. Carlin and Evan go to a lot of fast food sorts of places. Whitney and Zach tended to go out early on quite a bit too, including local places for steaks or hamburgers. Whitney and Zach probably seem the most budget conscious, but I think that stems from buying a house and working real world jobs. 

It'll be interesting to see how life is for them after the pandemic/social distancing thing decreases. I'm learning that I don't have to do so much take out, as I am not as bad at cooking as I once was in my 20s. And coffee at home can be made just as well as the more expensive stuff.

The birthday stuff for the little girls drives me insane. Callie's birthday message last year was horrible with Gil going on about how she would be a wonderful mother someday. Gil's message to Allie was bad this year because basically it was all about what Allie does for him. I will say I was happy to see that she received real toys and things for her birthday. Back in the early days of the Bates, the girls never seemed to have real toys. The boys would get sports stuff and the girls were always shown working, holding a real baby, etc. 

• Love 4

That's funny about Evan, because Carlin just posted a makeup tutorial on YouTube, and all the brands she used were high end: Smashbox, Urban Decay, IT Cosmetics, etc. I guess the concept of budget doesn't apply to her, lol.

Edited by BitterApple
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Maybe Carlin got the makeup comped?  

Alyssa has done tutorials and she uses high end brands too, but Erin makes a point of saying she uses drugstore brands.  

I still can't figure out how some of the couples make ends meet.  Kelton is a plumber and Josie was starting a business before the pandemic- I guess they are ok.  John Webster is an HVAC technician so he probably makes enough to support the family.  Zach is probably the best off financially in law enforcement, plus he gets benefits.  

But Chad and Erin, Carlin and Evan, and Tori and Bobby?  I wonder if the Sisters' Boutique brings in any real help for them, because I doubt those guys earn a ton of cash.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

Maybe Carlin got the makeup comped?  

Alyssa has done tutorials and she uses high end brands too, but Erin makes a point of saying she uses drugstore brands.  

I still can't figure out how some of the couples make ends meet.  Kelton is a plumber and Josie was starting a business before the pandemic- I guess they are ok.  John Webster is an HVAC technician so he probably makes enough to support the family.  Zach is probably the best off financially in law enforcement, plus he gets benefits.  

But Chad and Erin, Carlin and Evan, and Tori and Bobby?  I wonder if the Sisters' Boutique brings in any real help for them, because I doubt those guys earn a ton of cash.

I'm still trying to figure out how does Gil and Kelly make ends meet... Yes - the tree business can pay well, but tree cutters in the south are also plentiful. You still need to hustle for new business  (ie clearing alot of land for a new sudv) and be available if there is a storm...

Cutting a tree here and there for the avg homeowner in  rural area (ie a tree falling/dying in the back woods of a lot isn't a high priority to get rid of) isn't lot of revenue for a family close to 2 dz at one time.

I can see Gil saying he needs to work on his church, run bible study or goof-off in the name of family  time, if a big emergency job comes his way. Plus didn't Gil say a while back he would trade tree work for ortho work? Nice deal, but a family needs cold hard cash, too.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 4

I think Gil is relying almost solely on UP money. After all, One of the girls, addressing whether she'd wear pants on the show said, "It's my dad's show." I think it was Josie. 

Gil hasn't worked in the tree business himself in years. I don't know who's even running it, if it is even running at all.  Lawson and Nathan are off doing their own thing. Trace and Jackson are both working for Chad. No other brother is of age to operate the business. 

I doubt the church is that profitable. They had to make a ton of improvements to the building before they could even use it. I'm sure UP cash was used there. 

I seriously doubt that Gil is paying his adult children or putting anything away for the minors. Like his buddy Jim Bob, the checks are only in Gil's name.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

I only saw a short clip, but is it true that Josie had never tried shrimp before?? I'm a little baffled by that because shrimp are all over the south. Not even deep-fried, nothing?

I raised an eyebrow at that too. In an early episode, the family went to the beach and went fishing. Nothing was mentioned that nobody ate seafood  other than saying the boys rarely caught any and the girls went to the grocery store and bought hot dogs just in case. The timeline was when Allie Jane was a baby because she spit up on Carlin at the store. 

Fast forward a few years and it is a storyline that none of them have tried any type of seafood and freak out about it. Gil and Kelly presented the kids with shrimp cocktail for them to try - not exactly a good first choice for those unsure about shrimp, but okay. I just have a hard time believing they never tried seafood when they are accustomed to their brothers fishing in the rivers around Tennessee. Trout, etc. aren't seafood, but they are close enough that you wouldn't typically be squeamish about one and not the other. 

I realize they might not do much seafood in Tennessee, but South Carolina where they go two or more times a year to visit the grandparents is pretty much seafood heavy. It's low country and hard to miss out on seafood at every turn. You would have to really try to avoid seafood to miss it. 

I'm not a fan of shrimp, but have eaten it more than a few times. Crab, lobster, and scallops are my faves when we are at the beach. Even as a kid I couldn't stop eating crab cakes. 

• Love 4

I wonder if Gil gets some sort of salary from the IBLP board.  Between that and the UP money they would be doing ok.  Of course, I doubt they have much , if any money put away like Jim Bob does, but they do have fewer kids at home to support these days.  My guess is the older single guys probably make enough money working for Chad, etc, to at least pay for their own clothes, gas, and various trips they take.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I think Gil is relying almost solely on UP money. After all, One of the girls, addressing whether she'd wear pants on the show said, "It's my dad's show." I think it was Josie. 

Gil hasn't worked in the tree business himself in years. I don't know who's even running it, if it is even running at all.  Lawson and Nathan are off doing their own thing. Trace and Jackson are both working for Chad. No other brother is of age to operate the business. 

I doubt the church is that profitable. They had to make a ton of improvements to the building before they could even use it. I'm sure UP cash was used there. 

I seriously doubt that Gil is paying his adult children or putting anything away for the minors. Like his buddy Jim Bob, the checks are only in Gil's name.

It was Alyssa's comment about it being "dad's show." She was asked on social media why she wears pants frequently off the show but doesn't on the show. It's a legit comment, as the show was originally pitched to Kelly Jo and Gil to film the family. The original iteration included no married children and now several are married with kids of their own. It's still technically a show about the Bates family - not the Bates, Websters, Paines, Balkas, Smiths, Stewarts, etc. That's part of the reason that the opening still only includes what Gil calls original Bates. 

Gil has not kept up with the incorporation of the Bates Tree Service. I believe he may have a job now and then to keep up appearances and do favors or exchanges for things. However, most of his help is gone, as Zach has a regular/real job, Nathan and Lawson are more interested in profiteering/ministering and/or being influencers. Trace was clear in season 1 that he wasn't interested in tree work and would prefer to do something else. Isaiah, Jackson and Warden appear to be more interested in pretending to be contractors like Chad. 

In terms of pay from the show...

UP is probably not paying as much as TLC, as TLC is part of Discovery and Scripts, which have much more money and resources. However, they clearly aren't doing the show for free. I also believe the married couples are receiving pay unlike was Derick Dillard claims from his time with TLC. I seriously doubt Michael/Brandon and Tori/Bobby would have both moved back to Knoxville area of Tennessee without some incentive like pay from UP. Brandon would have probably continued on in Chicago and Bobby would have probably moved them to Florida closer to his family and roots to find a minister job. 

I would think they get some freebies from UP to do the show, including some travel like Florida, Myrtle Beach, etc. However, unlike TLC, the girls honeymoons aren't covered. Carlin and Josie both did honeymoons at resorts that don't allow filming of shows without major red tape, etc. However, the honeymoons of Michael/Brandon and Tori/Bobby both had filming days and were at least discounted for that effort. You can tell if something is covered by UP or comped/discounted by the company for how many times they mention the company name. The more mentions, the more likelihood that the company gave a discount or comp. If it is shown and vaguely mentioned, UP made the arrangements. If it is mentioned that someone went on a trip but we see nothing, that's not something that is comped. 

Carlin's wedding location and dance lessons are an example. The location was mentioned multiple times. I'd say the company gave her a discount - they do nothing for free in my experience dealing with them. The dance lessons are another story. They would occasionally show the name of the studio (never really talked about it) and received multiple private lessons where they got to invite other family to attend. UP arranged for that - no doubt. It would have been too hard to get permission to shoot an actual class with people who would have to sign for permission to show them learning to dance. They showed too many of the "classes" for UP not to have been trying to get their money's worth. 

Churches in general are typically money pits in terms of business. I'm Jewish so I don't know the intricacies, but I do know that attendance is waning at many churches and they are seeking new ways to reach people. Gil's church is in the middle of the Bible Belt. People can find a church on any corner. I don't know how locals feel about him, but he doesn't appear to be that dynamic of a preacher to get crowds in to see him and money into the collection plates. 

A friend of mine is doing her thesis on church attendance. She has found that many people appreciate and enjoy larger churches with more activities (childcare, preschool, sports, etc.) where they are members but aren't singled out as such. They like online options and different types of services such as traditional, modern, casual, and more. People are not as into the whole sit quietly for two hours while someone screams at you that you are going to hell in some hypocritical way and then go have a pot luck that evening with the same people. 

I think Gil and the church are sort of a vanity project for him. He likes being that center of attention (Carlin and Lawson get that from him). He likes being the person in charge. That's why you aren't going to see him inviting Bobby to be an equal there - Bobby has education in that area and Gil doesn't. You might see Gil had over the reigns to Nathan one day when they are older, but probably not while Gil can still be in the spotlight. That might actually be one of the plans to get Nathan to get married and stay there in Anderson County. 

• Love 7

None of their finances make any sense to me either except maybe Zach and Whitney and John and Alyssa. They might possibly be doing okay. The rest make no sense. Gil and Kelly's make no sense before or after UP tv.  Their still traveling a lot and still have kids at home. Where are they getting the money from that or the weddings. How good of a discount could Carlin have gotten for that venue? It looked expensive even with a discount it still had to be a lot.

Chad and Erin's make no sense sure they live in a small cottage but they have four kids, a dog and possibly still two goats. Erin's always redecorating and they travel a lot. But also Chad left a good paying job to learn construction then started his own business maybe a year or two later. How could he possibly be bringing in enough money for all that? Does he has all the right licenses? He was new to construction and now a newly construction owner. I'm not sure I'd trust a construction company where the owner has maybe one or two years of experience. Plus he has to employ Erin's brothers so who knows how much money he's making and paying them. He still has all the projects he does for the family no doubt free. Erin really can't be making that much from her CDs if she's even still doing that. 

None of them can be making that much from their dress business. There's at least three people working at it Whitney, Carlin and Erin. At very least all the money is getting split three ways. We've seen other family members helping out too. I doubt their getting paid.

Tori and Bobby's make no sense since he left the ministry to learn to be a plumber in Kelton's family's business. That takes time to learn and earn money. Then suddenly their both going into business together with Bobby handling the business side. How much could they be making in a new business? I think Kelton would have been making more working for his family's plumbing business at least until they build up their own business.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I think the tradesmen make way better money than law enforcement. Aside from Zack's assumed benefits (those are important!), I'd say a small town cop tops out at round 40K a year. I'm in a rural southern area like them and that's a little more than the going rate here. How he and Whitney are are raising a family of 5 on that and owning a home is beyond me. I don't think Whitney is selling houses anymore either. Who knows if she really ever did! I remember a few years ago Zack & Whit were getting a lot of flack in other forums for being so spendy. Whit was really showcasing a lot of new trendy clothes for the whole family, apple watches, new furniture, trips to Charleston, etc. I'd say they probably look at different forums from time to time and adjust things to save their image. Of all the couples, I think it's a tie between the Websters and the Balkas. If Josie was still doing hair they'd win by a long shot. I do think once Evan finishes his schooling, the Stewarts will be right up there with them. Eventually Chad might make some money... if he stops doing all the freebie projects Erin pushes on him for her family...

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, LongDenimFrumper said:

I think the tradesmen make way better money than law enforcement. Aside from Zack's assumed benefits (those are important!), I'd say a small town cop tops out at round 40K a year. I'm in a rural southern area like them and that's a little more than the going rate here. How he and Whitney are are raising a family of 5 on that and owning a home is beyond me. I don't think Whitney is selling houses anymore either. Who knows if she really ever did! I remember a few years ago Zack & Whit were getting a lot of flack in other forums for being so spendy. Whit was really showcasing a lot of new trendy clothes for the whole family, apple watches, new furniture, trips to Charleston, etc. I'd say they probably look at different forums from time to time and adjust things to save their image. Of all the couples, I think it's a tie between the Websters and the Balkas. If Josie was still doing hair they'd win by a long shot. I do think once Evan finishes his schooling, the Stewarts will be right up there with them. Eventually Chad might make some money... if he stops doing all the freebie projects Erin pushes on him for her family...

Whitney promotes Fab Fit boxes or something like that on her instagram. So it's possible a lot of her clothes and accessories are free in exchange for promotion. I know nothing about law enforcement salaries but my son goes to a high school for science and technology and there are also a lot of trade programs there. My hairdresser was in one of them, she's maybe 30 and her husband is an electrician. Sounds like they do well from the things we talk about when I see her, like vacations and weekend plans.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Eureka said:

Whitney promotes Fab Fit boxes or something like that on her instagram. So it's possible a lot of her clothes and accessories are free in exchange for promotion. I know nothing about law enforcement salaries but my son goes to a high school for science and technology and there are also a lot of trade programs there. My hairdresser was in one of them, she's maybe 30 and her husband is an electrician. Sounds like they do well from the things we talk about when I see her, like vacations and weekend plans.

I've mentioned this on the Duggar threads, but as far as I know, FitFabFun doesn' t pay anything. You get to keep the box of stuff and you don't pay for your box. It's possible they've changed the rules since then, but that used to be the policy. Since most of their influencers loved the stuff and didn't have to pay, it was worth it for them. 

• Love 2
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Temperance said:

I've mentioned this on the Duggar threads, but as far as I know, FitFabFun doesn' t pay anything. You get to keep the box of stuff and you don't pay for your box. It's possible they've changed the rules since then, but that used to be the policy. Since most of their influencers loved the stuff and didn't have to pay, it was worth it for them. 

Yeah, that's how it has worked as of maybe six months ago. The popularity of FFF boxes has waned, so I doubt they're giving influencers MORE these days.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Useful 2
19 hours ago, LongDenimFrumper said:

Zack is a Sheriff's Deputy, so he works for the county.  Cost of living is not that high where they live.  You can live comfortably on $40,000.00 per year in E. Tenn.

• Love 2
On 4/14/2020 at 12:14 PM, iluvobx said:

Zack is a Sheriff's Deputy, so he works for the county.  Cost of living is not that high where they live.  You can live comfortably on $40,000.00 per year in E. Tenn.

That would be pretty tight for a family of 5. Just hypothetically speaking....$40,000 minus the typical 20% in taxes and whatever else they pay in for health insurance leaves roughly $32,000. Broken down by month that's about $2,700 left to pay a mortgage, home & auto insurance, GROCERIES, electric, water, internet, gas for the vehicles, etc. That's not even counting what they spend on family outings, entertainment, matching clothing, hair and nail appointments, household furnishings, eating out or or the gazillion family pictures they take. I would imagine their insurance doesn't totally cover the cost of a hospital birth every year either.  I still don't know how they do it!

Edited by LongDenimFrumper
  • Love 3

The sheriff makes a bit over $100,000.  How many deputies do they have?  Collectively they get paid a bit under $2.5 M.  I think the Glassdoor estimate is a bit low based on those numbers and estimates on a couple of other sites.  $40 K might be the entry salary, but Zach has been there a few years now and there is usually an annual raise for the first 3 to 5 years.

On 4/13/2020 at 1:48 PM, andromeda331 said:

He still has all the projects he does for the family no doubt free. Erin really can't be making that much from her CDs if she's even still doing that. 

Erin's CDs were never going to make actual money for her or her family. They are not professionally produced. She spends money to make them by hiring accompanists, renting studio time, etc. It's the same with Lawson. They are not backed by a recording contract so there is nobody picking up those costs. If their music was to take off and sales go through the roof, they could make a tidy sum. 

But they have to spend money on (not a full list):

- Recording Studio Time - most places charge by the hour with some big name artists paying $20,000 for just time to record a few songs. I don't think Lawson or Erin go for that high of quality. 

- Producer(s) - This is a matter of you get what you pay for. 

- Licensing of songs they don't own (Lawson writes his own lyrics, but does he do the music too?)

- Musical Talent for accompaniment - Lawson's band always seemed distant from him and not like they are a group who normally work together. I might be wrong, but I think they are all just hired guns to back him up. 

- Mixing - This is a huge expense. 

- Photography and Graphic Arts - Chad did Erin's graphic arts on one of her covers. 

- Production if they go with a hard CD route. 

- Distribution costs

- Marketing 

- Lawson's costs for music videos that pretty much live on Youtube only. 

Erin's got a few of hers for sale on Amazon (digitally). The cost for her 2019 gospel music collection is $8.91. I would be hard pressed to believe that even covers her costs. It is purely a vanity project to say that she has recorded her own CDs. To make money at it, musicians have to hustle. They have to not only sing/play their instrument(s), they have to be their own sales people and work with others to get the product out there through touring, distribution, etc. I don't think that is what Erin has ever wanted to do. For Erin, I truly think it is a way to that she can reconcile to herself and maybe her parents at first that it wasn't a waste for her to go to Crown. Remember she was the first of the lot to go. While Gil and Kelly have their own education, it isn't something they pushed on the kids until after she started. 

3 hours ago, LongDenimFrumper said:

That would be pretty tight for a family of 5. Just hypothetically speaking....$40,000 minus the typical 20% in taxes and whatever else they pay in for health insurance leaves roughly $32,000. Broken down by month that's about $2,700 left to pay a mortgage, home & auto insurance, GROCERIES, electric, water, internet, gas for the vehicles, etc. That's not even counting what they spend on family outings, entertainment, matching clothing, hair and nail appointments, household furnishings, eating out or or the gazillion family pictures they take. I would imagine their insurance doesn't totally cover the cost of a hospital birth every year either.  I still don't know how they do it!

I have quite a bit of family who work in Anderson County government. According to the pay schedule, a beginning deputy without POST certification would earn $40,000 to $42,000 until they got more experience. Then he or she would get a bump of about $6,000 a year. Additionally, for each certification (driving, guns, other weapons, drugs, etc.), they can get a smaller bump in salary. Average annual raise is about 3%. My family members pay $25 a month for their share of the health insurance - that may change soon. Deputies also get pretty good overtime benefits, as well as getting lots of offers to work security off duty at events. I live near Atlanta in a small town. Our officers get $45 an hour to work a Saturday event (directing traffic, monitoring beer sales, and guarding the cash tills. Work a few 12 hour events and that money adds up since there are no taxes taken out. 

Zach has said on the show that he still does some construction and some tree work on off days to supplement. Whitney is still listed on Bailey & Co. for real estate. I'm not sure how active she is, if at all, but she could bring in a small amount. I would think that unless Chad or Erin get their license, the next time they decide to flip houses (with or without a partner), they will probably get Whitney to list it. 

Anderson County also does a pretty good deal for law enforcement, teachers, etc. with lower interest rates and down payment grants that could have really helped in buying a house. If they paid $175,000 for the house, which is about the going rate for the area where they live. They could have put down $10,000 and gotten $20,000 if they agreed to live there 5 years. So that could mean payments less than $600 a month. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

Anyone else laugh when Kelly said they don't like to rush relationships? Really Kelly, you mean the way you badgered Brandon and Bobby to propose? Yeah, that wasn't rushing things at all.

I don't by that Tori never was tested for the same condition that Erin was. Kelly said all the girls would be. Plus Tori was tested at the beginning of her 1st pregnancy because it was determined she needed progesterone  like Kelly had at the end of the pregnancy. But tonight she's claiming nope she was never tested for the clotting. Which it turned out to be a problem with pregnancy number 2. 

Yeah Katie was a bit much in the episode. She is usually very calm but was driving me crazy. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Anyone else laugh when Kelly said they don't like to rush relationships? Really Kelly, you mean the way you badgered Brandon and Bobby to propose? Yeah, that wasn't rushing things at all.

I did!  And she was all ‘its been three whole months (living hundreds of miles apart) and you HAVEN'T MET ALYSSA YET!!!’  Kelly, please pray for patience ‘cuz you don’t have much when it comes to courtships. 

58 minutes ago, zenme said:

Geez! Katie was a bit much this episode! She’s usually pretty chill. I wonder if Travis appreciated that very much. Maybe not. He looked a little annoyed.

She went from cool chick to typical head over heels, gushing,  ‘in love’ fundie girl, at least in this episode. I thought she was ridiculous & annoying at the ice cream place and even more  so at mini golf. I, too, thought he seemed annoyed. Run and go back to Jersey. 

Edited by Tdoc72
  • Love 6

Four observations. 

1. Those girls went super vapid for that group ultrasound. With all the makeup, giggling, loudness, and silliness, I was clearly getting a hillbilly Kardashian vibe with Kelly Jo as Kris Jenner. 
  2. Tori did go to Dr. Vick at first with Kade. He told her about the low progesterone and said to call if she needed anything before she found a new doc in Nashville. So why wasn't she tested then? And since it is hereditary, shouldn't she have told new doc? Clearly Kelly lied about getting all the girls tested.
  3. How many times do we have to hear they are competitve? It has gotten to the point we have at least three talking heads per episode about how competitive they are at games. It isn't a big revalation. It is a game. Someone wins and everyone else loses. Not that deep folks. 
  4. Who was the extra girl with them. She was standing next to Lawson when Katie was getting pointers from Travis. She was too rounds and wrong face for Addallee or Ellie. She was next to Warden? and Tori at one point. 
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, RebeccatheWriter said:
  1. Who was the extra girl with them. She was standing next to Lawson when Katie was getting pointers from Travis. She was too rounds and wrong face for Addallee or Ellie. She was next to Warden? and Tori at one point. 

I think that was Travis' sister. His chaperone for this trip.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ranchgirl said:

I think that was Travis' sister. His chaperone for this trip.  

Makes sense for the Bates. I was so annoyed with Katie's behavior I started looking in the background and wondering why there was some random person joining them at the table and for mini golf. 

Travis is quite the big spender by the way. I noticed when he showed up with the pizza that it was a Little Caesars Pizza box. So he bought her a $5 pizza? Katie, the giggling and demands to not have to share the spotlight in the family relationships was bought pretty cheap there. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1