Type keyword(s) to search

Season 9 Discussion

• Start Topic

43 minutes ago, cereality said:

I genuinely think Trace (and Nathan) gave ZERO thought to how he'd get a girl while getting around his family's dumbass requirements and make it easy and comfortable for the girl he supposedly loves. I think they both think they are God's gift and/or the headship so of course ANY girl will do anything to be with them and she'd be lucky to have his obnoxious mom and sisters as her bestie. Cue -- exit from said girl.

All the other courtships thus far (besides Zach) have been girl courtships. The lame jobless men who came thru the door had to deal with Kelly being overbearing and Tori/Carlin etc. being obnoxious but they laughed along with it when they visited bc they knew this was only 50% of the relationship. The other 50% was when the girls visited them and there they could act like a normal couple. When one of these people dates and then goes to visit her bf in Michigan or Fla. or DC, sure she brings a sibling chaperone bc she isn't bringing a 7 year old who'll need babysitting and will decide to be an obnoxious show off; she tends to bring an age 15+ yr old chaperone who doesn't need to her veggies cut up.

Sure the couple may do group dates still -- but like Evan and Carlin or Alyssa and John, they went out skating/to the beach etc. w a group of his siblings/friends and the chaperone sibling could hang with his siblings allowing the dating sibling some time with their bf. Frankly while at his place, they even go out alone -- as Brandon and reluctant rule following Michaela even did. Erin and Josie were the only ones who dated locally. Erin is Kelly Part 2 and that's what she wants to be, so in her case she wasn't even trying to get away from Kelly -- she was showing Chad 100% what he was getting into -- and he was horny enough that he was fine with it. And Josie -- she gave it some thought re how she'd skirt the rules will dating locally bc given that she doesn't even like her family once, you know she wasn't going to let 7 or 10 yr old siblings block. She she gave it 2 seconds of thought and her chaperones were often Zach and Whit -- who already think Gil and Kelly are full of BS and thus they likely were able to hang in their living room talking or watching a movie without Z&W sitting on top of them. I mean Z told Kelton how much BS this was when Kelton asked his advice about asking Gil for permission to get engaged and Z dismissively says -- tell him you've prayed on it, and this is what God wants, what's he going to do about that. LOL.

Trace OTOH carved out NO time for Chaney to just get to know. When she's visited she's accosted by I Love You day, the damn siblings boutique, and being teased over a nickname while being told she's got to move to Knox to be with Trace. When he visits her, he brought MOMMY with him. I mean he couldn't have thought about his gf (or any girl's) comfort with a future LOUD, obnoxious mother in law and NOT brought her but instead brought one of his quieter bros who couldn't care less either way if they go on long walks together and kiss -- like Jackson/Warden/Isaiah??

The only way it will work for these guys is if they do what Z did. After his broken courtship he realized his parents BS and then got to know Whit ON HIS OWN -- established his own friendship and relationship with her before really bringing her around the family; after all he was even able to kiss before marriage so clearly he didn't have a sibling hanging off his leg all the time. And IDK for sure but it seems like there was some strategy there too bc I don't think he was bringing her around during the big camera worthy times of the year like I Love You day or Christmas when the family is apt to be even more obnoxious as it plays up to the cameras.

Good points. Remember though that in their cult like culture, the men marrying the daughters are supposed to be in charge and able to control the household after marriage. It doesn't happen as much because the girls tend to be like Kelly Jo and whine and wheedle what they want. However, for the non-Bates guys, I have a feeling there is a bit of a feeling like, "if I put up with Kelly Jo and the rest, I can eventually marry ______ Bates and move off with her." They don't necessarily feel like they are going to be stuck with the other 18 siblings. When most of these girls have gotten married, there are multiple examples of Brandon moving Michaela to Chicago, John and Alyssa in Florida, and Bobby and Tori in Nashville. For a little while, Erin was the only girl close to home after marriage. So you could see that Evan and Kelton might see the parental involvement as a temporary thing. 

Girls coming into the family aren't as free. Ashley and Chaney have both been bullied by Kelly Jo and the older sisters about moving to Knoxville area. It's over and over and over again. These girls realize they are having to step into an already dysfunctional scene and give up privacy for a guy who they don't really know. I'm not sure any of the Bates boys would be worth it to deal with that crowd. 

I think the next Bates boy to get married will be one who strikes out on his own away from the family. They can't work for Chad or as a constable. They are going to have to find a real job and not plan to bring her home to live in Anderson County. You might have one pull a Zach and go for a girl who is willing to be molded into a fundy appropriate girl but has a more secular background. But I tend to think Gil and Kelly Jo have closed ranks on such things. 

• Love 6

@RebeccatheWriter - totally agree. The only way these boys get married "easily" is if they agree to establish a life outside of Rocky Top, perhaps following the girl to wherever she is from just like Bobby and Evan did. However, in order to do this they need some education and/or training or at least be willing to acquire it after marriage in the girl's hometown as Bobby and Evan did. I think the next 2 boys to get married will be Trace and Jackson just based on what (little) we know about their personalities and paths. They are apparently both close to/look up to Zach. Trace has been shown with Z and Z was advising him to join the sheriffs office and do construction on the side to make enough money to life comfortably with a wife and family which Z says he didn't do (probably bc Gil wasn't advising him on such pragmatic things). Jackson is only 18ish but he has also sat down with Z to plot out his future which appears to be construction and his sisters have said he's all about working as much as he can to make $$, which leads me to believe is because he's thinking about a wife and family soon; I mean these aren't the kind of kids that work to make $$$ to take that dream vacation to Europe or do defray some of the cost of medical school. I think those two unlike Nathan and Lawson have the vibe that Z did -- wanting to marry as soon as it's practical so they can get it on.

Problem is neither of them (nor anyone in the family) is ever willing to pursue the usual means of doing anything -- trade school, becoming a licensed contractor/tradesmen, union job etc. So without this and just being a guy willing to work, you basically end up as your brother in law or your local area family friends being the only option. If Travis - Katie's bf - has a sister or cousin and she expresses interest in Jackson, guess what Jackson can't easily move to NJ and pick up a construction job there with his only experience being -- I help out my brother in law when he gets jobs where he needs an extra guy. So that means the gf would have to commit to a life in Rocky Top, lining up the potential problems that led Chaney to run for the hills.

The other way they get married is find a girl who is a little bit "broken" in her life circumstances. She hasn't found God, doesn't have a family network, estranged, whatever it may be and ALL she wants is an instant family with instant bestie sisters and 1000 nieces and nephews and a home church that is the center of life and inlaws she'll consider parents. Whit fit this bill in a way with her parental estrangement. Sure Kelly will look down upon said girl bc she isn't deserving of HER SON, but said girl will bend over backwards to impress bc all she wants is to please her inlaws and siblings in law. Hard to find this but this would allow them to stay in Rocky Top and 100% continue living their lives as they are now, just with someone to get it on with and with someone to spit out their babies for the next decade.

• Love 3

I think it's more likely that they could marry girls from very fundie backgrounds like the Duggar daughters-in-law. If they want to marry a girl who isn't fundie or religious, then they may have to make changes.  A big one is if they're wiling to give up the whole quiverfull thing. I think most women would want to quit and decide five or six kids is enough. I have a feeling Whitney will want to quit and Zach will be on board. Between the television filming and complete invasiveness of Kelly Bates, I hope we get to see Kelly make some comment about Chaney possibly having 19 kids and see how Chaney reacted. 

• Love 3

I don't know if I've ever watched an episode of this show, but I've been watching Gilmore Girls this afternoon and keep seeing a commercial for tomorrow's show. One of the daughters is at the doctor's office for some sort of blood test and then she's shown saying the doctor called to her sisters. All I can see is just how dim the poor girl is. She just seems painfully stupid. Somehow she even manages to make most of the Duggar daughters come off as smart. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I think that's Carlin being tested for the blood clotting disorder that Erin (and apparently Tori) have. Spoiler: Carlin also has it. And yes, she's very dim and exceedingly shallow.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I think that's Carlin being tested for the blood clotting disorder that Erin (and apparently Tori) have. Spoiler: Carlin also has it. And yes, she's very dim and exceedingly shallow.

Tori had an issue with progesterone being low. That is very common and usually just needs medication in pill form not shots. Kelly Jo went through that with later pregnancies. Edited to add, I didn't realize Gil said Tori had a clotting disorder too in the latest Facebook Live thing. That would be 3 of the 6 married girls having it. Alyssa has had three kids with no issues. Josie has one. Michaela has fertility issues, but they don't present as this disorder. 

Kelly Jo specifically stated after Erin's diagnosis that each of the girls were tested. Now they have backtracked and have it as a surprise with Carlin. 

Given how quickly Erin miscarried, one would think the girls would test early. Carlin says she found out she was pregnant in June. She told her family after Willow was born in July. We know she announced on September 4 to the world and said she had the disorder. Seems that she was tested after announcing her pregnancy to the family and before September 4 since she is shown telling Erin. 

That seems a bit reckless given what we know of Erin's issue and timeline. 

Edited by RebeccatheWriter
I didn't realize what Gil had said.
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, RebeccatheWriter said:

Tori had an issue with progesterone being low. That is very common and usually just needs medication in pill form not shots. Kelly Jo went through that with later pregnancies. 

Kelly Jo specifically stated after Erin's diagnosis that each of the girls were tested. Now they have backtracked and have it as a surprise with Carlin. 

Given how quickly Erin miscarried, one would think the girls would test early. Carlin says she found out she was pregnant in June. She told her family after Willow was born in July. We know she announced on September 4 to the world and said she had the disorder. Seems that she was tested after announcing her pregnancy to the family and before September 4 since she is shown telling Erin. 

That seems a bit reckless given what we know of Erin's issue and timeline. 

While its possibly storyline driven it is amazing how dumb they are when you think about it. These girls are constantly surprised by getting pregnant every year, and now they are constantly surprised by problems when Erin, Tori and Carlin had issues. I can't remember if Josie had problems or not. How are they constantly surprised by things that happen all the time? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

While its possibly storyline driven it is amazing how dumb they are when you think about it. These girls are constantly surprised by getting pregnant every year, and now they are constantly surprised by problems when Erin, Tori and Carlin had issues. I can't remember if Josie had problems or not. How are they constantly surprised by things that happen all the time? 

Scripted reality producer driven

• Love 5

Carlin is a ditz and likes to emphasize it to the world. I wish she would keep her tongue behind her front teeth when she speaks. Annoys the heck out of me.Tori is an impatient complaining bitch. Her poor husband, (what's his name). I bet the best he gets back from her is mild annoyance. Poor inexperienced guy. 

I also remember Kelly saying on TV that all of the daughters had been tested for that blood disorder. The  Bates AND this network are all liars just like TLC and the Duggars. Do these networks actually think their viewing audience doesn't remember facts that were made public?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, floridamom said:

I also remember Kelly saying on TV that all of the daughters had been tested for that blood disorder. The  Bates AND this network are all liars just like TLC and the Duggars. Do these networks actually think their viewing audience doesn't remember facts that were made public?

i remember that too but what i DON'T remember is if she said that any of the others had found out if they had the same disorder? its one thing to say they tested but another to also say that they got positive results. therefore that could maybe be where our confusion is -- they tested but didn't disclose that they were positive.

• Love 1
(edited)

I wonder if we will get an actual visit to Dr. Vick or just an expository story from Carlin to her sisters? But even that is probably producer driven, as I imagine all the girls shared their results when they got them.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Useful 2
On 3/14/2020 at 2:28 PM, PradaKitty said:

I have finally decided the reason that so many fundie brides become pregnant on their honeymoon is that the virgin grooms finally get to release all of the sperm that’s been building up for years. It’s like a flood...

And I am thinking they kinda plan the wedding or wedding night (which ever is later) during ovulation.

Edited by sATL
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, floridamom said:

That's what gets to me. I get producers changing things in editing to make a story flow better or to fill the time better. I work adjacent to that industry and can understand that completely. What I can't get is how Kelly Jo, Gil, Carlin, Evan, etc. can justify in their heads that it is okay to lie. 

It's not like they are filmed and then shocked by the end result. They are actively participating in saying things that are not true. It just seems highly hypocritical when they are so strict in other areas they deem important for morality. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

I wonder if we will get an actual visit to Dr. Vick or just an expository story from Carlin to her sisters? But even that is probably producer driven, as I imagine all the girls shared their results when they got them.

The previews for tonight show Dr. Vick talking to her about it. 

I know that Kelly Jo said the girls were tested. I remember at the time wondering if all of them had been or if it was just the ones who were marriage age at that point. If it is simply a blood test, which is the indication, I don't understand why they wouldn't test them at least in their teens. At the very least they should get the test when they are planning their weddings to avoid early miscarriage that would be hard to face. 

The breast cancer gene mutation runs in my family. I had the blood test to check and see if I had it. I will admit it was nerve wracking. They go through this whole long list of counseling questions with you and you end up talking about family members who have died of the disease. There are weeks that go by before you receive the results and those weeks are so long while you wait. P.S. I am an anomaly in that both of my parents have a mutation and I did not inherit it at all. Very grateful. 

I said all that to say, that given these girls family history and how much the family places value on fertility and procreating...get the dang test before you start trying to conceive.  

• Love 6

Right. I have a hard time believing that Carlin waited until she was married and pregnant before getting tested. Wouldn't that actually almost be too late? Erin's miscarriages were very early, IIRC.

• Love 5

Last night's episode was a snoozer. Did they get a special deal on a doctor's office room for us to have scenes of Carlin/Evan and Gil/Kelly Jo and their respective doctors? Seriously?

For a family that swears the siblings are so close they are like best friends, these sisters don't know each other at all. You can't tell me that Erin, the overshare princess (Kelly Jo is queen) of the world, never told her sisters and Whitney about he blood clotting disorder and the treatments. Carlin and Evan just seemed so fake shocked, right down to Evan assuming that Carlin would have to come into the office twice a day for shots rather than giving them at home. 

Kelly Jo and Gil are nearly as bad with their stupidity about his shoulder injury.  First of all, he's too old to be acting the way he does. You can't tell me that they were so shocked by the idea he would have to rehab after surgery. He used to do college and high school sports. He freaking knows people who went through similar. Just more evidence they are isolated and self involved. 

Tori sure doesn't act like she loves being a mom. Her entire attitude on the show is more like she just puts up with life in general. I commend Bobby for trying to learn a trade rather than work in ministry that doesn't always pay very well. It's a smart move to learn something practical. I do feel for him though because it is clear that it isn't where his passion lies. The problem is the more kids they have the farther away a dream of ministry and his own church will be for him. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, RebeccatheWriter said:

You can't tell me that Erin, the overshare princess (Kelly Jo is queen) of the world, never told her sisters and Whitney about he blood clotting disorder and the treatments.

Don't they watch the show? Erin's problem was mentioned. 

• LOL 7
24 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Faked reality through and through.

Ratings continue in the same range:  279 K viewers and a .07 rating.  124th cable show of the day.

Exactly. Scripted reality producer driven. Yuck

• Love 3
6 hours ago, GussieK said:

Unlike every other episode . . . LOL.  I've given up on watching.  Just come here to read about it. 

Usually there is at least one interesting thing about it. This past episode was pretty much rehash and faked scenes. The Tori/Josie walk for one. Does anyone really think that they would have wasted time filming that without Tori announcing her pregnancy? 

I'll give the Bates girls credit. They are better at faking small talk than the Duggars who sound like they are reading cue cards. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I don't watch this faithfully (hah) but can someone remind me if this group and the Duggars have any connections with the Shepherd's Purse organization? Should I look at the background scenes of the field hospitals being set up in Central Park to see if I can catch a glimpse?

• Love 1

Dr Vick creeps me out!

Was he laughing when he told Carlin she has the blood clot disorder? Is she so naive she thought she'd have to go to his office twice a day for injections?

I also wonder about their medical insurance. The injections alone sound very costly.💰

• Love 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, Me from ME said:

I don't watch this faithfully (hah) but can someone remind me if this group and the Duggars have any connections with the Shepherd's Purse organization? Should I look at the background scenes of the field hospitals being set up in Central Park to see if I can catch a glimpse?

No, the Duggar and Bates boys have set up a faux non-profit called MedicCorps. They focus on hurricanes and tornadoes, not pandemics.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

The organization that is building the field hospital in Central Park is called Samaritan’s Purse.  It’s a relief organization founded by Franklin Graham(son of Rev. Billy Graham).  Their program called Christmas Child sends shoeboxes with small gifts to needy children all over the world.

The program that the Duggars may be involved in is called Samaritan Ministries.  It is a health care sharing ministry where members send in a certain amount of money, which is then shared among members who need medical bills paid.

From what I could see, there doesn’t appear to be any relationship between the two groups.

• Love 1

I was curious about Dr. Vick, so I looked up his training & education. He is a properly educated and trained doctor; not one of those "homemade ones". BUT.....on his site, there are comments from patients. One particularly disturbed me. It said that he is IBLP; so he's a like-minded guy. It also states that he has been accused by several women of inappropriate touching, etc. He believes like the Bates and Duggar families about reproduction, etc. I should have known. They would never see someone who is not in their 'circle'. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, floridamom said:

It also states that he has been accused by several women of inappropriate touching, etc. 

This doesn't surprise me at all. Way back, I commented that Dr. Vick seems like the type to get touchy-feely with patients. I wonder if he waives his fee for the Bates women?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, floridamom said:

I was curious about Dr. Vick, so I looked up his training & education. He is a properly educated and trained doctor; not one of those "homemade ones". BUT.....on his site, there are comments from patients. One particularly disturbed me. It said that he is IBLP; so he's a like-minded guy. It also states that he has been accused by several women of inappropriate touching, etc. He believes like the Bates and Duggar families about reproduction, etc. I should have known. They would never see someone who is not in their 'circle'. 

7 hours ago, BitterApple said:

This doesn't surprise me at all. Way back, I commented that Dr. Vick seems like the type to get touchy-feely with patients. I wonder if he waives his fee for the Bates women?

Not me either. I don't think we've yet to meet a doctor or midwife on either show that wasn't a hack of some kind. Crappy midwives, doctors losing their licenses, Chad's Dr. Father telling a girl being sexually harassed by their leader to eat a protein bars, the sheer amount of touchy feely men in their cult. Do they know anyone in their group who is qualified but not committing some sort of crime? 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 3/30/2020 at 1:28 PM, answerphone said:

Dr Vick creeps me out!

Was he laughing when he told Carlin she has the blood clot disorder? Is she so naive she thought she'd have to go to his office twice a day for injections?

I also wonder about their medical insurance. The injections alone sound very costly.💰

Not only was The Dr. laughting but Carlin and Evan were giggling and looking so fake like they were really trying hard to pretend that they had not heard this before. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, BitterApple said:

His website describes a sliding scale for patients. He links the news magazine stories where he appeared with the Bates - Nightline specials and 20/20. He must give them a good sized discount. That said, the hospital where they give birth isn't going to honor the same discounts. I know too many people in hospital and healthcare PR. They honestly don't care a thing about "free publicity" from an upper channel reality show. Many hospitals won't allow filming on premises for such things due to privacy of other patients and the possibility that a camera might catch something that leads to a lawsuit. 

I noticed that the site does mention birth control, but doesn't link it like many of the other services. His site gives adequate or an abundance of information for potential patients on other services, but that is merely mentioned in a small box with no links for more information. 

• Love 3

RE: Trace...that's how the cookie crumbles when you grow up isolated and restricted from many forms of relationships with friends, associates out in the world. They only had their 'dear siblings' as best friends. When you're finally let out of the cage for a few hours a week, you cling to anyone you're allowed to 'get to know'. These children have NO BALANCE in their lives. The parents and this belief system is extreme in all that they do and in all that they DON'T do. How is that healthy?

• Love 7
On 3/31/2020 at 5:49 AM, floridamom said:

Does he have his nurse in the room during examinations? I thought it was  a "law" when the Dr is a male, doing a female examination

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, sATL said:

Does he have his nurse in the room during examinations? I thought it was  a "law" when the Dr is a male, doing a female examination

Yes, that is a law. But I think any intimate examination  if it happened at all, happened off camera.  

• Useful 1

Watching the Bates episode from a couple weeks ago when Evan and Carlin announce their pregnant with the box. Their grilling Gil goes on about how he's terrible at grilling and his family agrees. Half of me wondered what he's actually good at since he doesn't do anything or seem to be good at anything. But the other half wondered if that's how he gets out of doing things and/or force his kids to do it. Want a hot dog not burnt to crisp? Do it your self. Zach was the one who actually did the grilling. Kind of like how Kelly had no idea how to fix the skirt but no worries Michael arrived in time to do that. Do the kids ever get tired about how absolutely useless their parents are?  

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Watching the Bates episode from a couple weeks ago when Evan and Carlin announce their pregnant with the box. Their grilling Gil goes on about how he's terrible at grilling and his family agrees. Half of me wondered what he's actually good at since he doesn't do anything or seem to be good at anything. But the other half wondered if that's how he gets out of doing things and/or force his kids to do it. Want a hot dog not burnt to crisp? Do it your self. Zach was the one who actually did the grilling. Kind of like how Kelly had no idea how to fix the skirt but no worries Michael arrived in time to do that. Do the kids ever get tired about how absolutely useless their parents are?  

now I am wondering did Gil sub-contract out his tree jobs ? 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, sATL said:

now I am wondering did Gil sub-contract out his tree jobs ? 

He probably did. Making his sons "help" him with the jobs. I'm sure they ended up doing the bulk of the work. If Gil was so good at that job and making so much money then he wouldn't have to "borrow" money that Lawson earned through his hard work to pay for groceries. He's always done barely nothing while his sons did most if not all the work. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
9 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

To top it off, Gil doesn't even pay them for their work. He explicitly said room and board was fair trade. No wonder none of the sons look enthused about the tree business. 

He clearly didn't have to work for his room and board. He reap all the benefits. Do none of the work and take all the money his sons earned.  

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 1

What on earth did Trace thing he had in common with Chaney? She didn’t seem that into him at all — she seemed like she liked him just fine as a family friend. Though I guess when you grow up so restricted with so few friends, you can’t see the signs that someone’s not into you. Or maybe he’s of the Kelly school of thought — they’re perfect for each other bc they both homeschooled and come from big families. I mean what else does one look for in a spouse??

Even after he asked her to be his gf, Chaney didn’t seem that excited or like she had much to say besides - oh my word Trace - said over and over. And is it just me or is Trace actually really bothered that she beat him at go karts, batting cages, and he even brought up her winning at bowling when she visited him. I mean he puts on the smiley face and congratulates her but IDK the sheer number of times he mentions it makes it seem like it injures his manhood.

What the heck does Papa Chaney do for a living bc that house was $$$. No way Trace could have provided her the life she was accustomed to by working for his brother in laws 2 man construction co and picking up a few tree jobs. And no way was Chaney going to move to Tennessee to live in a 2 bedroom “cottage” with 5 kids like Chad/Erin. I know he said he’d be ok moving to Tx and Papa Chaney made no secret of the fact that it was “required” but I bet you that was the ultimate splitting point when Chaney realized no way would he leave his over involved family and/or if he did, no way he could provide the type of life she wants.

• Love 6

After seeing this episode Chaney definitely escaped. Even Zach talking about how Chaney needed to move to TN. Also, I don't think Trace was that easy going about Chaney winning at the go-kart racing. Chaney seems so full of life and I think Trace and Kelly would just pull her down. 
Also, as said above, I don't see Chaney wanting to go from a house like she lives in with her parents to a two bedroom house.  Nothing wrong with starting off in a 2 bedroom house (my mom lived in a 2 bedroom house for over 50 years that she and my dad bought right after they were married). But somehow I don't see Trace ever moving into a larger house.
I want to feel sorry for Trace - and part of me does. But they just did not seem to have anything in common. 

• Love 4
(edited)
52 minutes ago, Lisa418722 said:

After seeing this episode Chaney definitely escaped. Even Zach talking about how Chaney needed to move to TN. Also, I don't think Trace was that easy going about Chaney winning at the go-kart racing. Chaney seems so full of life and I think Trace and Kelly would just pull her down. 
Also, as said above, I don't see Chaney wanting to go from a house like she lives in with her parents to a two bedroom house.  Nothing wrong with starting off in a 2 bedroom house (my mom lived in a 2 bedroom house for over 50 years that she and my dad bought right after they were married). But somehow I don't see Trace ever moving into a larger house.
I want to feel sorry for Trace - and part of me does. But they just did not seem to have anything in common. 

ITA.

I know sometimes one can't help who they love and a good man/woman is hard to find, but I do wonder about someone who lives in NJ/NY/CT ( I forgot where Chaney is from) moving all the way to rural TN. Yes - same religious background but that is a major jump in living lifestyle.

Not to mention there is nothing wrong with future Bates-DIL wanting to stay close to her family - after all the Bates daughters, with the exception of Alyssa and Michela's 2 yr hitch, are pretty close to the nest.

Maybe Trace and Nathan need to keep searching for their bride at least in the state of TN. Or the states that border TN.

I'm still a little boggled as to why Lawson couldn't find someone ( at least get to the stage Nathan and Trace did) in all of Nashville..

Edited by sATL
  • Love 3

Speaking of the newly married and their new honeymoon home, I do wonder why Gil & Kelly, as well as JB& Michelle won't start sub-diving all of that acreage  .

It's not like they are farmers, raising crops or cattle.  They got all of the land to keep to themselves, so build accommodations so more can live there as married adults.

Hell - at the rate the kid-adults are getting married, build an apt style or duplex homes.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, sATL said:

ITA.

I know sometimes one can't help who they love and a good man/woman is hard to find, but I do wonder about someone who lives in NJ/NY/CT ( I forgot where Chaney is from) moving all the way to rural TN. Yes - same religious background but that is a major jump in living lifestyle.

Not to mention there is nothing wrong with future Bates-DIL wanting to stay close to her family - after all the Bates daughters, with the exception of Alyssa and Michela's 2 yr hitch, are pretty close to the nest.

Maybe Trace and Nathan need to keep searching for their bride at least in the state of TN. Or the states that border TN.

I'm still a little boggled as to why Lawson couldn't find someone ( at least get to the stage Nathan and Trace did) in all of Nashville..

Chaney is from Texas though not rural Tx, a suburb 30 min from Dallas; given how she lives and the type of restaurant they went out to, I'm sure she's also shopping at Nordstrom etc. as Dallas women tend to love shopping and she/her family don't strike me as the thrift store or Walmart types. I do agree with you though -- a girl from a major metro area like Ashley from NYC or suburbs of a metro area (Chaney) will just have a different outlook on life and lifestyle than someone born and raised in a small town. I hope Katie isn't expecting Travis to move to rural Tenn. He's from southern NJ right outside Phila. and also lives in a a $$$$ home -- though IDK maybe he has a Bobby type of personality as he left his cushy gated community in Fla. for this.

If these boys have any hope of a gf sticking around, they need a small town southern girl. And yeah I don't get all the fake shock that happens that a BOY could move away. Uh didn't you compel Bobby, Evan, Brandon, and Chad to move away from their families and move to you and make the Bates grandparents/uncles/aunts the #1 family? Guess it doesn't feel so good when the shoe is on the other foot, huh?

I have to imagine Law just isn't interested for whatever reason. There's no way he's had NO female interest given his looks. Maybe it's something deep. Or maybe he just likes that he can pick up and go anytime he wants to do flight training or there's a tornado or he wants to record some songs; as a single guy he pulls in enough money probably from his disaster relief stints that he can get by and spend that fun money on clothes, cell phone, and wks here and there in Nashville and flight lessons. Once there's a wife and an army of kids, he's not going anywhere and maybe he dreads that.

• Love 9

Chaney is a pretty girl and obviously comes from money. On the surface the Bateses present themselves as industrious people, but as Chaney got a look behind the curtain, I'm sure she realized (or her father did) that Trace doesn't have anything going on in terms of goals and career plans. Floating around doing odd jobs for Chad isn't going to support a family. Throw in Kelly's overbearing nature and the nosy sisters, and it's no wonder Chaney bolted. 

• Love 7
(edited)

The problem is these guys all want their wives to pop out a quiver and they have no job plan. A two bedroom house is plenty for a nice young couple with birth control. It's too small by the third kid in five years. The Bates, like a lot of young fundie boys, need more of a solid job plan before they get married and maybe they can wrap their heads around having a quiver isn't realistic. I think Zach has done both and that's why he's happy. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 4