Type keyword(s) to search

Season 9 Discussion

• Start Topic

Apparently all little girls love tea parties. Every single one. Evan can't wait to play tea party with his daughter. Zach spent time with Kaci playing tea party because she loves it and apparently has to keep playing with dinosaurs and something with Bradley. Maybe she likes dinosaurs Zach? Girls can like dinosaurs and tea parties. There's even some that don't like tea parties. Although they didn't have tea. So Zach plans a tea party for Kaci because she loves tea parties and doesn't get any tea? How stupid is that? How special for Kaci. 

Kelly once again all worried about getting something done. This time getting the house decorated for Christmas. Even though she didn't do anything. Shock of all shocks she makes the kids to it. And Erin of course. She loves decorating you know.

Listening her talk about how hard it is to be the first born because they take on all the responsibility made me sad for Zach and mad at Kelly and Gil. Hey Kelly maybe not make your son do so much? Its her and Gil's fault since they put everything on their kids. Its not as if Zach had any choice in it or even was taking on the usual responsibilities of being oldest in a normal family. He had to do whatever crap Kelly made him do, then go do tree trimming and other crap that Gil made him do while he took all of the money and probably did little if anything.  Not to mention how they screwed him over with the first courtship. It was a mess and all because of his parents' crap and set him up for failure. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I am disappointed....Momma Jane & Poppa Bill are coming to the Bates... I like it when the Bates converge on their property...

Jane's expression...  and Gil's sister expression are priceless...It's my highlight of the season...

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1
(edited)

someone do a count for me... Kelli's meeting on putting up Christmas decorations.. how many Bates - and any spouses that  were present , let's say were over the age of 10?   Even Jeb/Jud knew how to plug in the lights to test them..

Why does Kelli need to hold a family serious-toned meeting , with everyone sitting at attention, eyes staring on her, on where she laid the decorations and what needs to be done ? One would think should would be at the place to say, go get them from where ever they are last stored and put then up. 

Don't recall if Mr Tree man Gil was at the meeting - was he out chopping down a nice Christmas pine to put the gifts under ?

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2

That house looked like it needed a good cleaning before any decorations were put up. The front porch has crap all over it including a large trash can and piles of tools. I know it must be hard with so many kids and the place probably takes a beating but if I knew my house was going to be on TV it would at least be clean. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, sATL said:

someone do a count for me... Kelli's meeting on putting up Christmas decorations.. how many Bates - and any spouses that  were present , let's say were over the age of 10?   Even Jeb/Jud knew how to plug in the lights to test them..

Why does Kelli need to hold a family serious-toned meeting , with everyone sitting at attention, eyes staring on her, on where she laid the decorations and what needs to be done ? One would think should would be at the place to say, go get them from where ever they are last stored and put then up. 

Don't recall if Mr Tree man Gil was at the meeting - was he out chopping down a nice Christmas pine to put the gifts under ?

I'm sure the producer told them to do it, to create "drama" and interest.  

• Love 1

Kaci did NOT look like she wanted to have a tea party. Even though I think Zach is a decent father, it was so cringey how he assumed she wanted a tea party (DUH, she’s a girl!) when she looked less than interested, and then didn’t even give the kid any damn tea. I thought it was funny that they were out of tea because he’s trying to lose weight. Ummm, tea parties usually involve HOT tea, not your southern sugary sweet iced tea. For a family that is so focused on tea parties, they don’t know much about them. I almost puked when he poured tea into her play teapot because I’m SURE he didn’t wash it before hand and who knows what all lives in/on that thing. I need to take a long look in the mirror and figure out why I continue to watch this shit show. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 5

It's been such a snoozefest that I haven't watched recently but then caught 2 episodes back to back. A few thoughts --

Glad to see gender roles are live and well even in the next gen. I mean Bobby said he hopes he has a daughter one day and I thought -- wow how sweet and unlike their cult. And then he follows it up with -- because daddy daughter dates. And then cue Evan talking about how he looks forward to tea parties and make up/nails/hair. Uh -- I guess it'd shock these people to realize that there are some girls who never play dolls or dress up or tea party because from day one they are all about matchbox cars or construction equipment or whatever. Though if that happened, you know they'd outwardly say it's ok until the girl was age 4 or so and laugh it off as "tomboy" while internally being ridiculously worried bc OMG what if legos turn her lesbian. And then by age 4-5 it would be -- oh sorry the legos/cars/bouncing off the walls are for your brothers, why don't you be a good girl and help mommy with dinner? I believe that's what the Duggars did with Joy Anna who was into outdoor play with the brothers rather than chopping vegetables with her sisters and they forced her over into what was "appropriate" for a 10 yr old girl.

And how disgusting that Zach was pouring the hot chocolate into the actual toy teapot and they drank from the toy cups?? I don't imagine those pots and cups get washed, I imagine they reside in a toy box with all kinds of trucks and dinosaurs that Bradley "forces" his sister to play with that likely have been driven all over all the floors in the house. WTH Zach. If you want to have a "real" not pretend tea party, you can give the child an actual cup from the KITCHEN. And I realize he was trying to be sweet but Bradley gets an outing + lunch with mom and the girl (no idea of her name) gets hot chocolate from crappy tea cups at home? He really couldn't take her out anywhere?? It didn't have to be a big outing. You know a girl can even go out bowling or go karts or throw the ball around in the park and it's ok . . . it won't hurt her chances of marrying and bearing children.

Brandon and Michaela looked genuinely happy at his book signing. Good for them that they have made a life for themselves and aren't sitting around 24-7 lamenting their lack of a baby. Brandon wrote this book and I believe also does animation/cartoon drawing kind of stuff and I think some photography. Michaela has started her sewing business just for/by herself not as something that's shared with 37 other family members. They seem like they have created a nice life for themselves, though I'm sure Kelly and the sisters don't think so bc OMG -- no baby, I guess they HAVE to do writing and sewing to keep themselves from crying in their coffee 24-7 bc did I mention, no baby??

• Love 5

They "sexualize" - for lack of a better word - these little kid relationships in a way that isn't necessary. A kid can spend time with either parent. A girl can hang out with dad doing whatever and it's normal -- it can be anything from washing the car to catching fly balls to working on a project or schoolwork. But nooo for them, a dad can only hang out with a girl if it's something date-like like a tea party or out to dinner. I mean John takes the girls out on "dates" wearing a full suit and bringing them a corsage/flowers as they wear their best dress. It's pretty much prepping them to catch a guy in 12ish yrs. After all they will know how to act on a date at a Cheesecake Factory and how to make vapid conversation and respond to - you're so pretty - bc daddy taught them. Gag.

Chad went on about how the 4 yr old boy is the MAN of the house when dad isn't home?? Uh? He's 4. God forbid lazy Erin step up and be the PARENT when Chad isn't around.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

What's the obsession this crowd has with Daddy/Daughter dates? Growing up, my dad used to do stuff with me all the time, but it wasn't a big production that needed a title. 

That one isn't unique to this crowd, I see that term all the time among non-fundies and it causes my soul to shrivel up a little (ok, a lot).

I think it's sweet if a dad wants to take his daughter out for a semi-fancy occasion, especially if it's a daughter who likes that sort of thing (which I'm guessing is what's at play here with John and the girls), but by no means is that the only way that a dad can have a relationship with his daughters, speaking as the wife to a dad who has four daughters, and I think said dad would shrivel up and die if he were asked to do a daddy/daughter date.

• Love 4

My SIL takes all the kids to baseball/softball practice and to the driving range.  I think if someone told him to take granddaughter on a date he wouldn't know what they were talking about.  Let them be little kids just having fun without making a deal out of it.  Maybe they spend so little one on one time after two or three come along that they have to name it.  

• Love 4
On 5/24/2020 at 9:54 PM, cereality said:

They "sexualize" - for lack of a better word - these little kid relationships in a way that isn't necessary. A kid can spend time with either parent. A girl can hang out with dad doing whatever and it's normal -- it can be anything from washing the car to catching fly balls to working on a project or schoolwork. But nooo for them, a dad can only hang out with a girl if it's something date-like like a tea party or out to dinner. I mean John takes the girls out on "dates" wearing a full suit and bringing them a corsage/flowers as they wear their best dress. It's pretty much prepping them to catch a guy in 12ish yrs. After all they will know how to act on a date at a Cheesecake Factory and how to make vapid conversation and respond to - you're so pretty - bc daddy taught them. Gag.

Chad went on about how the 4 yr old boy is the MAN of the house when dad isn't home?? Uh? He's 4. God forbid lazy Erin step up and be the PARENT when Chad isn't around.

but she can't, you know.  She is too busy acting like she is a designer and making Chad do the work 😄

• Love 2

What's sad with these daddy/daughter "dates" is that the daughters will never be allowed to be on a date with a guy without the family supervising. They get more one-on-one time with their dad on these dates than they will ever get with another man until they are married.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 5/26/2020 at 1:40 PM, Lisa418722 said:

What's sad with these daddy/daughter "dates" is that the daughters will never be allowed to be on a date with a guy without the family supervising. They get more one-on-one time with their dad on these dates than they will ever get with another man until they are married.  

A few years ago the city where I was living had a church that really promoted Daddy Daughter Dates. I always thought they were creepy when it came down to it. Yes, I always loved going to Dairy Queen with my dad and still loves when he has something he has to do near me so I get to see and have dinner with him. My mom hates comedy movies, so we often snuck off to watch Adam Sandler or Will Ferrell flicks while she stayed home. But I wouldn't call them dates.

Anyway, the pastor at the church was apparently telling the congregation that a father should be his daughter's first date so that she knows how she should be treated by men. Yuck.

Last week's show 5/21: 

Sorry, I'm just getting caught up. What was with Whitney telling Bradley that this would be the last time they were alone together? Yes, she was having a baby, but way to make your child blame the new baby for lack of parental involvement. 

I realize that the sisters are trying to be unobtrusive during the delivery (I doubt it) and be off to the side, but they really come off as creepers. There is Whitney pushing (by the way totally calm compared to some of these girls) and you see Tori and Erin's heads popping out randomly from behind curtains and stuff. I half way expected one of them to pop up between her legs and shout encouraging things to her. Also (spoken as someone who has never done the whole birth thing), is it really helpful to have all those women squealing that you dilated a little more. And can someone just slap Kelly Jo with her breathless excitement as she videos on her phone. 

I am not anti-baby. I just find all the cheerleader stuff to be way too much. I'm having a Miranda on Sex in the City moment. 

5/28

I haven't finished watching, but a few notes:

1. Carlin and Evan's shower for Layla. I hate shower games, but do they always have to only include a few key people. Are the rest of the folks just supposed to sit there in awe of the television personalities. And WTH was with Carlin knocking over her mother in law's tower of diapers? (For our drinking game, there were at least four references to them all being "super competitive." - plus of course Kelly Jo was searching for Michaela before the shower. 

2. I admit that I can't stand how Carlin always looks for the camera and how she loves to make herself the center of attention. Erin is just as bad. She is always so dramatic about everything. Maybe the medical team was handing her the oxygen to shut her up like a muzzle. She just seems to be that person who wants everything television or social media perfect. 

3. The interactions with Trace and his girlfriend were so awkward. He doesn't know what to do with her and she looks at him like she is trying to figure out what disorder made him like that. She has the whole baby voice thing that these people all like, but that's about it. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I just finished watching the birth episode for baby Khloe` and I will say, Whitney has the easiest labors and births. I'm super jealous. Those babies just seem to slide right out of her while she peacefully lays there. If I didn't know any better I would think she was getting a pedicure or a massage by the looks of her facial expressions. As someone who recently struggled with a birth, pushed for hours and had a 4:00 a.m. emergency c-section... she surely is "blessed" in the birthing department.  Also, there is also no way in he** that I would ever want every family member I've ever known watching me birth. I find it fascinating that they want to pack as many into the hospital suite as possible. I guess if you have an easy time of it there's not much to worry about but still. Ick. 

Edited by LongDenimFrumper
typo
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, LongDenimFrumper said:

I just finished watching the birth episode for baby Khloe` and I will say, Whitney has the easiest labors and births. I'm super jealous. Those babies just seem to slide right out of her while she peacefully lays there. If I didn't know any better I would think she was getting a pedicure or a massage by the looks of her facial expressions. As someone who recently struggled with a birth, pushed for hours and had a 4:00 a.m. emergency c-section... she surely is "blessed" in the birthing department.  Also, there is also no way in he** that I would ever want every family member I've ever known watching me birth. I find it fascinating that they want to pack as many into the hospital suite as possible. I guess if you have an easy time of it there's not much to worry about but still. Ick. 

Whitney's have all seemed that way. I'm kind of in awe of her for that. I saw Whitney's mom there. But otherwise she had her husband, medical people, and her in-laws. I would strangle them. She also manages not to strangle Erin and Kelly Jo, which is amazing too. For a woman who can get seriously emotional at other times (vow renewal), I'm impressed with her on the labor and delivery side. 

Not downplaying Erin's issues with placental abruption, etc., but she seriously is hard to watch sometimes with this show. I feel like she wants the hospital to have stadium seating for everyone to watch her. I much prefer Alyssa and Josie's more lowkey approach of we'll call you after. I'm already dreading the drama that will be Carlin. Not that the pandemic has been good, but I am thankful that maybe we won't get the cheerleader experience for Tori's labor with the second K baby. Erin and Kelly Jo getting right up in Tori's face to tell her she was doing a good job would have been my breaking point. 

• Love 3
(edited)

When I had my kids my husband was with me.  That was it.  No parents, no siblings.  I just don't understand giving birth in a circus atmosphere.  And don't most hospitals, even pre-pandemic, place limits on the amount of people present for the birth?  Or do the Bates Family get special treatment because they are favored by God? 

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 6

Back in the olden days when I had mine I was in the labor room by myself.  Then in the delivery room the only reason Ex Mr lookeyloo was allowed in was because he was a medical student. Then he went home and I was in the hospital for 3 days And he came for short visiting hours. Can we imagine Erin doing that? 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

When I had my kids my husband was with me.  That was it.  No parents, no siblings.  I just don't understand giving birth in a circus atmosphere.  And don't most hospitals, even pre-pandemic, place limits on the amount of people present for the birth?  Or do the Bates Family get special treatment because they are favored by God? 

I question that too. Let's say she had Dr. Vick and two nurses. That's three. Then you have Chad, Kelly Jo, Whitney, Tori, and Carlin. That's eight. Then you have at least one camera person and a sound person. In some cases they can use Carlin's footage (she was taking still shots) and Kelly Jo's footage from her phone, but some of the shots are clearly more professional than their capabilities would allow. So that would be 10. I know Gil, according to them, usually comes to the hospital but is in the waiting area for the actual birth. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Is it just me or is Whitney getting more annoying too? Love how quick she was drop newborn Khloe to go hang out at the hospital while Erin was in labor.  Or going on and on about how its been so long since she and Zach have gone out. Khloe's only been here a short while its not like they were stuck in the house for years with Bradley and Kaci. I doubt its been that long. 

I did like for all Erin and Chad's claims about how excited the rest of their kids were Everly looked like she couldn't care less. 

I guess they skipped over Thanksgiving? Too bad I was kind of looking forward to seeing Jane and her expressions about how she really feels about Kelly. She seems like one of the few sane people in their world.

Carlin knocking down her mother-in-law's stack was crappy of her. I love that Kelly forgot the food for the baby shower. Of course she did. Is there anything she can do? And of course she called Michael. 

Trace really doesn't seem that interested in Chaney or dating given how he talks about how hard it is. He has to try and come up with things to do and how its much easier with the guys. Chaney did seem annoyed for a second when he said that. Then back to every idea he comes up with is great. Sure Chaney. Oh even when he comes to visit her in Texas you know where she lives he somehow always has a great idea of something they could do. Although he did say it was Zach who was coming up with the ideas.  Really could Trace be putting any less effort into Chaney? No wonder she bailed.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 5

Another snoozefest of an episode. All I noticed about the births is how "concerned" Zach & Whit were that the daughter didn't seem interested in the new kid, didn't care to hold her. Even at home they were like -- oh you HAVE to hold her, you HAVE to help; and then Kelly shrieked with praise when the daughter held the baby. Uh no she doesn't HAVE to help -- you chose to have another kid. And she's 3, freaking relax. But you know in their minds they're thinking NOOOO you're a little girl, why don't you love BABIES, you HAVE to love babies, I mean what if this girl turns out "weird" and doesn't want marriage or babies, how will she fulfill God's will for her life??? I also laughed in a recent episode when the girls' bedroom had a sign that something like "you can do amazing things" or something that effect. Lol yep, unless that amazing thing is going to med school or law school or being an investment banker on Wall Street or going away to college or traveling the world NOT on a mission trip, then nope, no amazing things for you -- we mean wife + mommy amazing things.

As for Trace -- I have NO idea why he is looking to get married, unless he just fears being an "old maid" like Law and Nathan + he knows that most fundie guys (including his college buddies) marry by 23-24 and he doesn't want to be left behind and the only virgin left in his friend group. I mean all of his brothers in law came into the family at ages 22-25, but almost all were 22-23ish with only Brandon being "older" at 25. As a 23 yr old, he may be feeling the pressure to get this done in the next 12-18 mos. But he seems to have NO interest -- not only in Chaney but also in a gf generally.

I mean he actually said -- we are long distance so we talk on the phone but when you get together you HAVE TO actually go DO STUFF to take the relationship to the next level and you HAVE TO come up with stuff to do whereas with the guys, I can just go play basketball. Uh if you don't WANT TO hang out with a girlfriend, maybe you just don't want a gf?? And let's be real these are fundie girls, they aren't expecting that you are wining and dining them or taking them skydiving every weekend!? You basically just have to hang out. I mean Kelton & Josie seemed like they mostly hung out in coffee shops; Z&W at Sonic -- i.e. TALKED. Though that may prove to be a problem for him as he seems to have nothing to say to her. I mean did he need to tell her that Z&W came up with the idea of how to ask her to court?? You hardly know her and your lack of interest is obvious to her, let your romantic action appear your own for right now even if it wasn't.

It was like when Zach was courting that first girl (Sarah?) and when it broke up he said -- he was so uncomfortable even sitting next to her on the couch, didn't even know what to talk to her about. Except you can tell that he WANTED a gf and wife and he was heartbroken that he didn't feel comfortable sitting with her + pissed that his parents raised him so "isolated" from normal social interaction that here was a 21 year old man who couldn't handle talking to a girl. It's different with Trace as he seems uninterested. PLUS he wasn't raised like under G&K's thumbs as child #8 as Zach was as child #1. I mean G&K have modernized more than they'll admit since that break up 10ish years ago. They can call it "get to know you" or whatever BS but Tori, Josie, Carlin, Katie, and Alyssa were all talking to their boyfriends 24-7 so this isn't one of those -- oh mommy and daddy never let them talk to members of the opposite sex.

He seems like he'll end up in a Brandon kind of marriage -- check the box on wife and kids. Except that works for Brandon bc he's just that kind of personality. He DOES love Michael, he just isn't a super expressive person on anything; Trace OTOH can be super expressive about hanging out with his buddies but just not with a gf.

• Love 6

Brandon has really grown on me in the past couple of years.  I really think he is not a big fan of all the noise and people but he does love Micheal.  She is the one I like the most out of all the females.  Wish they had not moved back to Tenn, mostly because of her family and how they treat her.  I do think that Brandon might not allow as much as in the past.

Problem with the guys (and girls) is that they are not socialized at all!  Look at their world.  Hard to talk about anything when there is nothing in your life but how large your family is.  The guys are trying to date girls that come from a "normal" family, they are socialized and probably attend (shock) school outside of their home.  I think maybe Chaney's dad is the one that put a halt to the relationship.  I feel for Trace but break ups are a part of growing up but they have been denied that by their parents.

I get Carlin and how she can be, probably the only way she got any attention was to be the loudest or most over the top.  Not that I like it at all but she is the middle of the pack child.

As for Kelly, just STFU!

• Love 4
5 hours ago, iluvobx said:

Brandon has really grown on me in the past couple of years.  I really think he is not a big fan of all the noise and people but he does love Micheal.  She is the one I like the most out of all the females.  Wish they had not moved back to Tenn, mostly because of her family and how they treat her.  I do think that Brandon might not allow as much as in the past.

Problem with the guys (and girls) is that they are not socialized at all!  Look at their world.  Hard to talk about anything when there is nothing in your life but how large your family is.  The guys are trying to date girls that come from a "normal" family, they are socialized and probably attend (shock) school outside of their home.  I think maybe Chaney's dad is the one that put a halt to the relationship.  I feel for Trace but break ups are a part of growing up but they have been denied that by their parents.

I get Carlin and how she can be, probably the only way she got any attention was to be the loudest or most over the top.  Not that I like it at all but she is the middle of the pack child.

As for Kelly, just STFU!

Brandon is still pretty hardcore IBLP, but the guy clearly loves Michaela a lot. He takes one for the team a lot with putting up with her family. Unlike the other sisters' husbands, he's not the construction, plumbing, electrician, HVAC type. Instead, he's more artistic and almost cerebral from a fundy. 

Kelly Jo is pretty notorious about making her daughters do things others would find uncomfortable. In the first episode of the series, she hosted a baby shower for Whitney. Erin, who had been due around the same time, was called in to not only help with invites but plan, shop for, and host the baby shower games. Now she's hosting a shower for Carlin and wanting Michaela to do the food because all the other older girls are at home preparing for a babies or just had their own babies.

I know these girls seem to let it roll off their backs, but that woman is incredibly insensitive. 

You are right that they aren't able to socialize outside their little circle. I remember watching one of the episodes where they were talking about Josie and Kelton talking. They said primarily they just talked about family and Bible verses. I guess it makes sense. What else do they know enough about to make conversation? I am guessing they watch television at some point and even some movies (based on things said and the presence of such items in their homes), but still they are pretty stunted. 

I can understand Carlin wanting to have attention in a family that large. It's natural. Heck, I'm an only child and I was annoying as crap when I was growing up because I never wanted to do my school work. I just wanted to talk to my teachers. I didn't even like the other kids most of the time because I was always around adults and thought kids were kind of dumb. There is just something about Carlin's over the top nature that is so fake to me. I never find her genuine at all. Michaela, Alyssa, Tori, Josie, Katie, etc. all have moments where they are not putting on an act and seem real - whether that is real annoyance over the clutter or noise or real affection. Erin and Carlin just seem to have a facade that screams out fake.  

• Love 6

I wonder if these people get party burnout? Between birthdays, wedding showers, baby showers, gender reveals, holidays and anniversaries they must be throwing half a dozen parties a month. I'd think it would get exhausting after a while. 

• Love 8
(edited)
On 5/29/2020 at 2:10 PM, RebeccatheWriter said:

Whitney's have all seemed that way. I'm kind of in awe of her for that. I saw Whitney's mom there. But otherwise she had her husband, medical people, and her in-laws. I would strangle them. She also manages not to strangle Erin and Kelly Jo, which is amazing too. For a woman who can get seriously emotional at other times (vow renewal), I'm impressed with her on the labor and delivery side. 

Not downplaying Erin's issues with placental abruption, etc., but she seriously is hard to watch sometimes with this show. I feel like she wants the hospital to have stadium seating for everyone to watch her. I much prefer Alyssa and Josie's more lowkey approach of we'll call you after. I'm already dreading the drama that will be Carlin. Not that the pandemic has been good, but I am thankful that maybe we won't get the cheerleader experience for Tori's labor with the second K baby. Erin and Kelly Jo getting right up in Tori's face to tell her she was doing a good job would have been my breaking point. 

Early in the pandemic , the local news here interviewed several expectant moms, who if no present high risks, were opting for births outside of the hospital.

So back to Tori, as directed by Kelli - I wouldn't be surprised if Kellie research high and low to find a setting for everyone to get a ring side seat...even if that means no epidural. Plus it seems to be their tradition for the siblings to see their newest offspring as soon as it slides out into the world.

Edited by sATL

I honestly fell asleep during the episode so I had to go back and watch the "I Love You Day" party. Some observations:

1. Erin and her decorating need a few more notes. It's always the same look. 

2. Carlin should have been an ice dancer. She has the perfect orgasm expression (most ice dancers make that same expression and it is a running joke among followers that we wonder where the partner's hand is to have her making that face). I felt like she spent most of her labor time looking for camera angles. Her willful ignorance about things was driving me crazy. Your mother has given birth 19 times. You have been present for more than half of your 12 nieces and nephews (at that time) and even taken video or pics for most of them. Your best friend has had one baby. You are seeing an OB/GYN in for months prior to the birth and were in labor for hours with nurses coming in and out of the room. It never occurred to her to ask about how to push prior to being told it was time to push? Stupid isn't cute, Carlin.

3. Alyssa seriously has RBF in most of the scenes of the party. She looked sullen and put out. I've seen the same thing at the vow renewal, weddings, etc. 

4. I'm proud of Josie and Michaela for not joining in on the Ya-Ya Birth Cheerleaders brigade. 

5. I feel bad that Trace had to play out his break up on television, but dang...it was clear from his social media posts, etc. that it was completely Chaney's idea to break up. At least Nathan spun his failed courtship as a mutual decision that they didn't feel could be worked out. I hope he doesn't become bitter about women like Nathan can be in his talking heads. 

6. Did you know this was the first time Katie had a guy at Valentine's Day and his name is Travis? 

7. They have moved so far away from their original intent of Valentine's Day it isn't even funny. No more buying a less than $10 gift for a family member. Instead it is an orgy of greed. No more of the parents serving food they cooked. Now it is a catered affair.  

• Love 14
(edited)

Watching Carlin and Evan in this episode was almost like watching an episode of Teen Mom. They both look and act so immature, I feel so sorry for the baby. 

Edited by zenme
  • Love 8
(edited)
On 7/24/2020 at 7:48 PM, zenme said:

Watching Carlin and Evan in this episode was almost like watching an episode of Teen Mom. They both look and act so immature, I feel so sorry for the baby. 

Good comparison. They are simply unprepared for life in general. She claimed to have read things, but somehow I doubt it was more than a comment or two on social media. There is no way she actually took the time to learn anything.

She, Tori, and Erin drive me insane (still) with putting baby in front of the name. Was anyone else confused that Layla was the baby? Was Carlin expecting a baby or a country singer to pop out?

Edited by RebeccatheWriter
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

OMG these people are way too boring for a one hr episode.

Glad to see work horse Chad continues to carry the clan on his back but it's ok because he enjoys being a blessing especially to family [eyeroll]. Yep who doesn't want to go over to E&C's house on his off time, take the door of the hinges in Layala's room to get closet doors into E&C's tiny closet of a house and then put those up and reinstall the door originally taken off only to be asked by Carlin to get the door to stop squeaking. Even he deferred on that and said HE (i.e. Evan) can do that . . . . Launch the Evan montage of I can take care of things around the house and my little girl will think I"m a hero because I can do ANYTHING for her; I'll totally be able to put together play kitchens and doll houses for her . . . . Lol. No you won't. You'll probably bring them to the Bates boutique and have Chad put them together and put them in the trunk of your car so you can pull them out Christmas morning.

And these 2 are way too stupid to be parents. I'm sorry but Carlin freaking out at Dr. Vick's office looked totally fake and for the cameras to me. Sure I can see the cause for concern if they didn't think the kid was breathing fast enough but give me a break. She went full on hysterical hyper ventilating while dabbing just the corners of her eyes w tissues bc god forbid she ruin her makeup. Kelly was super helpful saying "stop crying he will walk back in here and think you're panicking." Uh -- so?? OBs have seen expectant moms panic before, so what??? What is he British royalty -- you must keep the stiff upper lip around him? Are we soooo worried about impressing creepy Dr. Vick?? And Carlin you know what growns up in these situations instead of OMG I'm panicking, OMG Mom I don't think you're telling me the truth, someone tell me what's going on with MY BABY. . . cue dramatic crying?? They ask QUESTIONS. Why wasn't her first inclination to say to Vick -- hey is the baby ok; why do I need this second test; is it rare for breathing to slow down; how soon until we know if it's ok; if breathing is an issue would we/should we deliver now? I mean these are just off the top of my head and I've never even had a baby or been around 8 million siblings who've had babies??

Kelton & Josie's house -- not much to say there. Looks like Kelton definitely took advantage of the Bates army -- if you're gonna hang out all the time, do my floors or fireplace or whatever or go home. I wonder if Kelton's younger bro is looking for a bride? He was at the party and seems awfully friendly with the Bates teens which is interesting given that Kelton doesn't really even like his inlaws. Not that there's any Bates girls left for him -- I think he's 18-19ish and Katie is the last one and already courting; but I wonder if he is trying to get an intro to someone's friend at cosmetology school or wherever. K may be breathing a sigh of relief that there aren't Bates girls left. While he decided at 18ish that Josie was it and he put up with G&K saying no then, and puts up with that large annoying family now, he may feel good that his brother WON'T have to put up with that.

Katie -- seems just as desperate as all the Bates girls did. OMG she is dying for T to put a ring on it. And T seems like Bobby, Kelton, Brandon, and John -- smiles politely but does not care for the family. I assume he thinks he's whisking her away to NJ and his more well to do lifestyle. Didn't work for Bobby but maybe it'll work out for him.

And I Love You day has turned into such a made for TV production now. Gone are the days of -- we'll do a celebration 2 mos after Christmas when money is a little less tight and do a nice dinner and spend a few hundred total in the 18 kids get presents for each other. Now it's renting AirBnbs and how can we outdo last year. I see the meal wasn't sponsored by Tysons/Perdue this year though. Bummer. I enjoyed the never ending discussion last year on the virtues of pre cooked chicken and I loved that they acted like it was totally normal to have a dinner consisting of chicken strips, chicken parm, and lemon chicken (or whatever - but no sides at all because SPONSORSHIP $$$$, Ya'll).

Edited by cereality
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6

And I forgot to mention Trace -- the only interesting part of the episode. Besides being clear with his parents that she didn't see a future with him (which I guess he had to be bc he had told everyone on IG that he was dumped), found it interesting that he mainly spun it as well . . . distance. Even Zach jumped in and said "it's a lot to ask of a girl for her to leave Texas and move to Tenn but it's a big decision for you to make to move away." Left me with the feeling that the only way these fragile fundie men can EVER stand being turned down is if there's some innocuous logistic reason. See -- it wasn't ME, shucks it was the distance, if she lived here, we'd TOTALLY be getting married.

Uh no Trace, you wouldn't. She wasn't feeling it at all. Her body language and the way she spoke to you and how insecure you acted everytime she was God forbid better than you at anything from golf to tiddlywinks clarified she wasn't interested. Looking at her home and lifestyle, it was clear she wants/needs a man with some kind of profession who can provide. In you she found a guy who she thought was attractive at first but once she got to know him realized he is boring/has nothing to say, has zero goals, and his vision for the future involves whatever jobs his brother or brother in law can get him and you'll live whatever type of lifestyle that affords even if that means 4 kids in a 2 room "cottage" like said brother in law and you damn well better be happy bc why wouldn't you be -- you'll be hanging with his pushy sisters, sister in law, and mother who'll be your besties as well as your only friends. I think she came, saw the set up of this family, esp when she got forced into judging something at the dumb i love you day party + months later "modeling" for his sisters' boutique when she really just was there to hang with him, not have future SILs and MIL embarrassing her by calling her whatever nickname he called her, asking when they'd get married or when she'd move to Tenn -- and she turned tail and ran. 

I mean it's possible that she was kind about it and/or found it hard to be direct and say yeah I'm not digging your lifestyle, your family interference or your lack of real employment and skills; she may have just said -- eh I can't move here and I don't really believe you want to move to Tx so it's done. But if the Bates allowed their kids to be raised at all normally, anyone would've sensed some growing disconnect. I mean they were so disconnected that he thought it would be their last Christmas as boyfriend-girlfriend -- so presumably he thought he'd propose in early 2020 and they'd be married before Christmas 2020 rolled around; while she was thinking -- yeah I need to be done with this relationship?? It seems like she started to slow down going places with him etc. around Thanksgiving -- as she went to Papa Bill's with him for Thanksgiving and then it looked like he appeared to go to a bunch of fundie friend weddings in Dec/Jan solo. Yeah even that slowdown in wanting to see him, flying in to go be his wedding date any chance she could etc. should've signaled to him that the relationship was losing its luster.

It's interesting to me that Zach is still open about the fact that he had a failed courtship before -- bc Trace directly said he sees Z as a role model plus he's been thru relationships not working out. G&K probably want to kill him for being so open. I mean they're fundie. Anything that's the slightest bit real or unsavory isn't spoken about ever -- it's as if it never happened at all, esp since he now has the picture perfect life all set up. But clearly Z doesn't hide it and talked to Trace about it in real time. IDK when it would've been, but I feel like he met and married Whit shortly after that breakup. So if he married in 2013, I assume the failed courtship was 2011-12. Given that it was 8-9 yrs ago, Trace would've been 14-15 and I'm sure at that time Z wasn't discussing details with him or how it felt -- so it must be a discussion that happened now. Let's hope he takes Z's approach and gets himself a life, some kind of skills/training, a real job, and a clue that the fundie life isn't all it's cracked up to be and it's perfectly fine to go fundie liter/change some of the stricter fundie rules. Hopefully he doesn't go down the Nathan road of -- all women suck and how dare any woman turn down any man.

• Love 9

Chad's claim that he liked helping out all the time made me wonder if any of the Bates read here or FJ about all the comments how they make Chad do everything? Sorry Chad don't believe you.

Then of course we get to see Chad doing everything again this time for Carlin and Evan. 

I was surprised that Zach brought up his previous courtship. I agree Kelly and Gil had to be pissed about. They didn't mention Trace's previous attempt/crush or whatever with Campbell Roberts who was in that one episode of the show. Trace really doesn't see how he's the reason Chaney bailed. His crappy reaction every time Chaney beat him. Bring her to the I Love You Day a couple weeks after they met to meet his entire pushy annoying family and putting her on the spot to be a judge and later to be a model for their shop. I really don't think he was interest in Chaney at all. I'm not sure if he was really interested in having a girlfriend given his remark about having to come up with ideas of things what to do and how different it was from just going off with his friends. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I was surprised that Zach brought up his previous courtship. I agree Kelly and Gil had to be pissed about. They didn't mention Trace's previous attempt/crush or whatever with Campbell Roberts who was in that one episode of the show. Trace really doesn't see how he's the reason Chaney bailed. His crappy reaction every time Chaney beat him. Bring her to the I Love You Day a couple weeks after they met to meet his entire pushy annoying family and putting her on the spot to be a judge and later to be a model for their shop. I really don't think he was interest in Chaney at all. I'm not sure if he was really interested in having a girlfriend given his remark about having to come up with ideas of things what to do and how different it was from just going off with his friends. 

No evidence, but I have a feeling Trace didn't even bother to ask Chaney why she wanted to break up or dump him. Given that he is the same distance from her as when they started their relationship, I'm doubting it was truly the distance. 

I think he is only interested in having a girlfriend to appease his parents desire to marry off some of the boys quickly. But like a middle school kid at his first dance, he had no idea what to do with her. That was clear from the episode where he left her with his mother and sisters to model for the boutique. Sorry, but if my boyfriend did that to me and left me to fend for myself against his peer pressure family, I would dump him before he came back to pick me up. I'd be in the Uber and on the way to the airport. Every on camera date seemed to consist of them doing something competitive and him being embarrassed at being beaten by her. Throw in a few thinly veiled sexist comments about how she was good at something despite being a woman and this was bound to fail for any woman who has an ounce of respect. 

She is a typical fundy/fundy-lite kind of girl who is looking for a man with the potential to provide and maturity to be a man. Trace, though less distasteful than some of his brothers, still doesn't know what he wants to be when he grows up and has yet to stand up to his mother and sisters.  

• Love 9
(edited)

I never had ANY sense that Trace wanted to be with Chaney. I think he just wants a GIRL, any girl, so he can get to the next level of fundie life -- i.e. at 23 he wants sex + to live with people that aren't Jeb and Jud + to fit in with his family where there are continuous couples dinners and date nights for married folk and if you aren't partnered up, well you can hang with Jeb and Jud. I also think that as much as we saw Josie/Katie/Carlin/Tori be VERY aggressive about finding husbands fast so they were married by 22-ish bc they all feared being Michaela, I think at some level Trace has decided he wants to be married by 24-25 so that he isn't in the Lawson and Nathan boat still searching for a woman at 28. And frankly it shouldn't be hard bc any woman that's Godly and agrees to marry him and live near his annoying family and see them non stop will be perfectly fine.

In reality though he's like a middle or high school boy like @RebeccatheWriter says. He wants SOME female attention but really he doesn't know what to do with it, doesn't want to deal with it constantly, and really just wants to hang with his buddies right now -- I mean he said it clear as day when he was like "ooohhh it's soooo hard to plan dates and go do stuff with her when with the guys I just go play basketball." And seriously did he ever consider HER? Even if she is a sporty girl, did she WANT every date to be sports oriented? Did he consider that maybe just once she'd like to go to a cool coffee shop or some outdoor attraction and walk around? I bet he never considered it or if he did he was like -- oh hell no -- what am I gonna talk to her about?? Let's go hit baseballs, there we don't talk while hitting and afterwards we can talk about the batting cages . . . .

It's not actually THAT extraordinary how he is acting. There are plenty of 23 year olds that really only want a casual girlfriend -- for sex and for a date on Friday etc. -- but it's ALL about hanging out with the boys at that age, drinking, partying, videogaming or sports. So what do they do -- they DATE; they think about said girl when they're with her/the days they're gonna see her but otherwise they think about work/buddies/fun. If G&K lived in the actual real world they'd see that this son as opposed to the others has a TON of guy friends and seems to really enjoy being a guy's guy. So why not encourage him to get an apartment with one of those friends for a while?? If anything it'll give him the maturity of realizing -- damn life isn't cheap for just me, and once there's a wife in the mix I'm gonna have to step it up more bc I doubt she's gonna want to get by on canned food -- hmm maybe I should get a trade and a job that pays me more than Chad and gives me some health insurance that I can then add my wife to ideally before we have babies? But nooooo that doesn't fit with the cookie cutter fundie model.

I think Trace is much more along the lines of a Brandon or Bobby -- let's get it done, find a girl, any girl that'll marry me that loves God and any girl is fine, it gets me onto the next life stage. As opposed to say Zach, Kelton, or Evan who saw/spoke to their wives and were like I want to marry HER -- not just anyone but HER. At least with Brandon though, I think he cares for Michael deeply -- he would've cared for any girl that way -- but I think he is very much in love with her and just not expressive about it in front of anyone, but it makes sense because he isn't expressive about anything and is just a very -- hold my cards close to the vest guy. Bobby OTOH is VERY expressive about his bromance with Kelton and yet not about Tori who I think he doesn't even actively like anymore now that the novelty of sex is gone. Trace is VERY expressive about his buddies and basketball and yet not about Chaney. For these guys who CAN show excitement about other things but not their gf/wife, it's abundantly clear that they aren't into their gf/wife and she's just fulfilling her role of making them a husband and father.

Edited by cereality
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 8

On 7/28/2020 at 10:22 AM, cereality said:

I never had ANY sense that Trace wanted to be with Chaney. I think he just wants a GIRL, any girl, so he can get to the next level of fundie life -- i.e. at 23 he wants sex + to live with people that aren't Jeb and Jud + to fit in with his family where there are continuous couples dinners and date nights for married folk and if you aren't partnered up, well you can hang with Jeb and Jud. I also think that as much as we saw Josie/Katie/Carlin/Tori be VERY aggressive about finding husbands fast so they were married by 22-ish bc they all feared being Michaela, I think at some level Trace has decided he wants to be married by 24-25 so that he isn't in the Lawson and Nathan boat still searching for a woman at 28. And frankly it shouldn't be hard bc any woman that's Godly and agrees to marry him and live near his annoying family and see them non stop will be perfectly fine.

In reality though he's like a middle or high school boy like @RebeccatheWriter says. He wants SOME female attention but really he doesn't know what to do with it, doesn't want to deal with it constantly, and really just wants to hang with his buddies right now -- I mean he said it clear as day when he was like "ooohhh it's soooo hard to plan dates and go do stuff with her when with the guys I just go play basketball." And seriously did he ever consider HER? Even if she is a sporty girl, did she WANT every date to be sports oriented? Did he consider that maybe just once she'd like to go to a cool coffee shop or some outdoor attraction and walk around? I bet he never considered it or if he did he was like -- oh hell no -- what am I gonna talk to her about?? Let's go hit baseballs, there we don't talk while hitting and afterwards we can talk about the batting cages . . . .

It's not actually THAT extraordinary how he is acting. There are plenty of 23 year olds that really only want a casual girlfriend -- for sex and for a date on Friday etc. -- but it's ALL about hanging out with the boys at that age, drinking, partying, videogaming or sports. So what do they do -- they DATE; they think about said girl when they're with her/the days they're gonna see her but otherwise they think about work/buddies/fun. If G&K lived in the actual real world they'd see that this son as opposed to the others has a TON of guy friends and seems to really enjoy being a guy's guy. So why not encourage him to get an apartment with one of those friends for a while?? If anything it'll give him the maturity of realizing -- damn life isn't cheap for just me, and once there's a wife in the mix I'm gonna have to step it up more bc I doubt she's gonna want to get by on canned food -- hmm maybe I should get a trade and a job that pays me more than Chad and gives me some health insurance that I can then add my wife to ideally before we have babies? But nooooo that doesn't fit with the cookie cutter fundie model.

I think Trace is much more along the lines of a Brandon or Bobby -- let's get it done, find a girl, any girl that'll marry me that loves God and any girl is fine, it gets me onto the next life stage. As opposed to say Zach, Kelton, or Evan who saw/spoke to their wives and were like I want to marry HER -- not just anyone but HER. At least with Brandon though, I think he cares for Michael deeply -- he would've cared for any girl that way -- but I think he is very much in love with her and just not expressive about it in front of anyone, but it makes sense because he isn't expressive about anything and is just a very -- hold my cards close to the vest guy. Bobby OTOH is VERY expressive about his bromance with Kelton and yet not about Tori who I think he doesn't even actively like anymore now that the novelty of sex is gone. Trace is VERY expressive about his buddies and basketball and yet not about Chaney. For these guys who CAN show excitement about other things but not their gf/wife, it's abundantly clear that they aren't into their gf/wife and she's just fulfilling her role of making them a husband and father.

Chaney is an outwardly beautiful young lady. She seems fundie-lite to me. Trace probably thought she was hot and fundie and that was enough for him. You make some good points. 

• Love 1

Thoughts from last night's show:

1. Tori's lipstick was seriously dark and not really needed for an ultrasound. She reminded me of Michelle Duggar and how she used to wear that bright red lipstick for her ultrasounds in the early specials. That said, it was nice to see her smiling and not so sullen and actually asking questions unlike Carlin. She is not the sharpest cheddar on the cracker (something a friend said the other day), but she didn't come off as a complete idiot or willfully ignorant.

2. Katie's voice may get to the dog whistle level if he doesn't put a ring on her finger soon. She gets higher and higher pitched as she talks about him or to him. Note Travis saying, "Katie's bugged me the most about being official..."

3. I am a fan of little brick ranch houses. They are my go to housing style. But when I see Josie and Kelton's with the exposed wood supports between the living room and kitchen, I immediately think unfinished. They either need to stain them darker or paint them. It looks like they just quit remodeling part way through. I would have replaced the metal railing on the front porch with wood though. 

4. Gotta love that Katie and Travis had to have a chaperone to get to double date night with Josie and Kelton. So now there were 5 on a double date (six if you count Willow).

5. The way Erin's dress fit during the talking head interviews was distracting. And, Erin, you are not a clothing designer. You and your sisters buy cheap dresses from China and sell them on a website. It's like a redneck, fundy version of the Kardashians. That was a wonderful idea for all of you to schedule your pregnancies together. Way to leave it up to God and run a business.

6. I have no comments on Lawson other than I still don't quite believe him. There is just something fishy about his whole trip. I did laugh at the last photo they showed. It is the one that was clearly photoshopped, as her legs are missing from the pic that he and Kelly Jo posted. The producers cropped the photo so as to avoid showing that flaw.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Last night's show -- Katie and Travis are Tori and Bobby Part II, except her behavior is more like Carlin so really we're looking at a marriage that'll look like Carlin + Bobby. Katie seriously comes off as stupid + ridiculously desperate in line with how her sisters were. I mean she is 19 does the girl have NO other life interests besides pizza and ice cream bc these are the ONLY life interests she gushes about constantly and the only interests her siblings ever mention she has.  I mean I know 8 year old boys who'll tell you their favorite things in life are pizza, ice cream and something else like baseball or football -- even at that age they gush about something besides pizza.

As for the desperation, yeah well G&K never believed that girls should play hard to get. Rather, they believed they should act dumb to impress the guy and show how much she needs a MAN to take care of her + straight up beg for a ring, so I guess Katie is just doing what G&K taught her. I mean Katie not a good sign that your intended is saying "Katie has BUGGED ME the most about being official and then the brothers in law?!" Uh if it bugs you now, wait until you live with it. As for the brothers in law - what's that about? Misery loves company? And no Katie being with a boyfriend for SEVEN MONTHS at 19 isn't sooooo long that there MUST BE a ring. And then of course Josie straight up asks Travis when they'll be courting because of course she and Katie talk about it non stop but wouldn't let it go even when he vaguely said "soon" and clearly was not wanting to discuss. Funny how much Kelton hates his inlaws still as he mocked the process saying "go in there and say I DEMAND your daughter, that'll go well."

Travis strikes me as Bobby 2.0. He wants/needs to get married to get on with his life as I believe he's from a fundie/mister's family. So he needs a wife. At the ripe old age of 19 he said "we are getting OLDER" LOL. So he'll get the wife, get some sex, and be over it just like Bobby; hopefully he genuinely wants to be a dad rather than just checking that box  because I do think Bobby's sons are all that is keeping him going in that marriage. At least Bobby has bestie Kelton to do life with and they've structured life to get to live in the same town, work together 40+ hours a week etc. Travis clearly won't have a brother in law that was a bestie pre marriage to do life with. I mean I guess it'll be workable if he can bring her to NJ and thus lives near his family/friends but IDK he seems like Bobby -- like Kelly and the sisters will get him to do what THEY want which is life in Rocky Top. He doesn't seem like a John who took a -- don't eff with me -- attitude right up front, was helped along because Alyssa equally didn't want to be near her family + he could always pull out the -- sorry I have an established business -- excuse.

As for Law -- it sounds like he was all the way in the Philippines doing a job that was like a patient advocate type of job. Ok I'm not saying that little girl and her (likely fairly poor) family didn't need someone to guide them thru the process to make sure they got in touch with the right hospitals etc. and didn't need an errand boy to go fetch her medicines etc. -- but LAWSON?? Why not someone in the healthcare field who UNDERSTANDS what doctors on both sides are saying and why not someone Filipino who can navigate the country, its bureaucracy or hell even knows his way around the city unlike a rube from Rocky Top? 

And while the rest of the family was basically doing an infomercial to get Law married -- omg he has such a good heart, he's so persistent, Godly blah blah -- I will say it was nice to see Zach say some real words about Law. I've always thought Z wasn't particularly impressed with Law or Nathan and it was nice to hear him say he's proud because it took guts to go to a foreign country and stay there until everything was done when he could've just turned and run home.

I will say though that this family is freaking delusional. OMG he's been away for three WHOLE MONTHS. Uh he's a 28 year old MAN. You know who regularly goes away for 3+ months -- 18 year olds at college. And yes sometimes they even miss Thanksgiving and/or Christmas -- if they can't afford the flight home and instead stay in their dorm or go home with roommates, esp common at Thanksgiving, and going home to mommy and daddy for Valentines isn't a thing. And OMG he missed 2 babies being born in a family that'll have 50+ grandkids?!! Uh were any of the babies his? Bc you know who misses their OWN babies being born all the time -- soldiers on deployment. No one is crying any tears about meeting a niece or nephew 2 months later -- hell that's pretty normal when your siblings live across the country from you.

• Love 11
(edited)

I'm starting to think these people are more dysfunctional than the Duggars. I remember some of the Duggar girls doing a version of the dumb bimbo routine, but I can't recall any of them straight-up begging for a ring.The Bates girls are just embarrassing. And like cereality just noted, if you have to bully your boyfriend down the aisle, that doesn't bode well for the future of your relationship. Once hormones and the thrill of sex wears off, there's going to be many years of sullen resentment. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 10
(edited)
2 hours ago, RebeccatheWriter said:

3. I am a fan of little brick ranch houses. They are my go to housing style. But when I see Josie and Kelton's with the exposed wood supports between the living room and kitchen, I immediately think unfinished. They either need to stain them darker or paint them. It looks like they just quit remodeling part way through. I would have replaced the metal railing on the front porch with wood though. 

That's intentional? I saw photos on Instagram and just assumed it was unfinished.  I don't have UP anymore so I can't watch. Judging from her choice of furniture I think Josie likes blond wood, but those beams do not appear to be stain grade lumber.  They would look better either painted or stained dark, I do agree.

Edited by 3 is enough
41 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

That's intentional? I saw photos on Instagram and just assumed it was unfinished.  I don't have UP anymore so I can't watch. Judging from her choice of furniture I think Josie likes blond wood, but those beams do not appear to be stain grade lumber.  They would look better either painted or stained dark, I do agree.

She seems to go for the more neutral tones within the boho theme (some exceptions), which I can get behind. I like chunky knits and beiges, tans, and off white. I like wood tones and natural elements. It just kills the vibe to see these big blocks of unfinished wood in between sheetrock. I'm assuming it is intentional because they did not paint it when they painted the rest and still have it that way in more recent photos. 

49 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I'm starting to think these people are more dysfunctional than the Duggars. I remember some of the Duggar girls doing a version of the dumb bimbo routine, but I can't recall any of them straight-up begging for a ring.The Bates girls are just embarrassing. And like cereality just noted, if you have to bully your boyfriend down the aisle, that doesn't bode well for the future of your relationship. Once hormones and the thrill of sex wears off, there's going to be many years of sullen resentment. 

Seriously, I would not be surprised if Katie answered the door for Travis's next visit wearing one of her sisters' wedding dresses and throwing bird seed at herself. 

~~~~

Looking at the Bates Family Blog website I am seeing that we are getting more of Tori "teaching" soon via an UP sneak peek video. Apparently she tries to teach one on one and is surprised and annoyed that the other kids don't do things like she wants while she is not paying attention to them. Her narration is that she teaches Carson and Bradley while letting Kaci and Brooklyn do crafts/play. So many things wrong with this from an education standpoint.

• Love 4