Type keyword(s) to search

Season 9 Discussion

• Start Topic

It is true that Gil had a good position with Nabisco and he voluntarily quit that job. No downsizing. I love the way these people rewrite history. What do they think????....that we don't remember what they said publicly?

• Love 4
9 hours ago, floridamom said:

It is true that Gil had a good position with Nabisco and he voluntarily quit that job. No downsizing. I love the way these people rewrite history. What do they think????....that we don't remember what they said publicly?

I really think they do. Like the way Kelly tried to rewrite history about Gothard's birthday cake being a groom's cake even though the picture showed of it still had Happy Birthday Gothard on it. She didn't even bother to edit or blur that part out.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Don't forget the "Patriotic Room." That never happened, either. 

Yes, that has been glossed over with the brand of Bringing Up Bates. Additionally, they gloss over much of the IBLP information, Big Sandy, etc. They glossed over Chaney's family history, which some sleuths found online. There were the underfed horses, which turned into a message of the Bates rescuing horses. 

One of the ones that has never made much sense to me is this whole thing about Kelly Jo being a teaching assistant in chemistry. Such roles are typically offered only to people who are majoring in the subject and have at least completed upper division courses or more than just the lower level classes. Gil was ahead of her in school so I find it very strange that she would have taken multiple chemistry classes and would be in a position like that for a class he was taking. 

Since she was a human services major (special education minor), it is more likely that she was a lab assistant. However, the story was enhanced to make Kelly Jo look less like a a woman going to school for her MRS degree and more intellectual. It also helped in the messaging that Kelly Jo is this super smart woman who could teach all the kids in their various grade levels. Early in the BuB days, Tori and Carlin were shown in every other episode talking about how smart she is and how she could teach all of them. 

I'm not saying she's a dumb person overall. I just struggle with the narrative that Kelly Jo was a super brain with high levels of chemistry skills who turned into a blank stare wife of a tree cutting preacher.  

• Love 8

God, Katie has been so annoying since she got a boyfriend. She used to be so low key and now she’s all 😍.  

Rubbing food on your boyfriend is not cute or mature. He had on a nice suit. I don’t like when people do it at weddings but at least (hopefully) they agree on ahead of time. 

Travis seems sweet but so damn young. Any fellow Jersey peeps know what restaurant they went to in Berlin?  I was actually in Berlin today but I’m not that familiar with the town. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Tdoc72 said:

Any fellow Jersey peeps know what restaurant they went to in Berlin?  

Filomena

Yes, I hate myself for googling this based on the outside shot they showed of the restaurant. 

The axe throwing place is at the Gloucester Premium Outlets.

Travis looks to be about 12 years old, so I'm sure he's ready for marriage, babies, etc. <eye roll>

Desperation is really not a good look, Katie.

• Love 11

The restaurant looks pricey. The Bates family sure does like to hob knob, don't they? No way would they be able to do the things the show does for them. How is it that Travis' family seems to be 'ok' in the money department? Does anyone know what his father does for a living....other than sing? No way would tree-cutter Gil be in this league without UP. Their house was falling down around them before Jim Bob Duggar figured out a way for a TV network to pay for that renovation and addition.

• Love 9

So Travis and Katie are 19 years old. Katie acts likes she is 14 maybe and Travis seems more mature but looks like he is 14. Both sets of parents seem to OK if not pushing this relationship to move forwad into what we all know will be an engagement in a few months. Really sad. I guess Ma and Pa Clark will be footing the bill for these 2 kids to play house in a year or so. 

If Katie were my daughter I would pull her aside and read her the riot act over smearing cake on Travis. She embarrassed herself and her parents with that juvenile act. She giggled and said I just can't help myself. 

On a more shallow note, ma Clark's denim skirt was longer than Kelly's denim uniform. If it were any longer it would have been sweeping the ground. 

• Love 9

Travis looks like a 13 year old, but he seems like he does think things through and has paid attention to Katie. Katie only likes ice cream and pizza and is obsessed with getting in a courtship with Travis. There doesn't seem to be too much to say about Katie which is sad to say about a 19-year-old. The way both sets of parents were watching Travis and Katie just -- I was going to say it seems weird, but I know they have done this with all the prior courtships and will do it with all the future courtships.  

When they were doing the ax throwing I kept telling Katie and Kelly "use both hands."  When they used both hands they both did better. 

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Love 7

Katie has officially crossed over the 18 year old dip in IQ that is standard for the Bates daughters. She is so immature and silly with her food throwing, giggling, and stereotypical weak girl routine. I would have dumped her butt for the stunt she pulled with the cake. She should have at least gotten stuck with Travis's dry cleaning bill for his jacket. Apparently, the food smashing stunt is something Carlin did too when she was in a courtship with Evan. Why am I not surprised?

She has proven again that any of these people I try to have high hopes for in life will disappoint. She was so adamant for years about wanting to be a nurse. I was disappointed for her when it became clear her only choice was cosmetology. But rather than play the game with her parents and get a real job that would pay for nursing school, she is ring thirsty like her sisters and practically chasing him down the aisle. 

He is just as immature. I swear I don't think he's even ready to shave yet. He's 12 and she's about 8 on a "date" with all four parents a table away in an empty restaurant. I mean they showed up before the early bird special and he had a poster that looked like an elementary school kid wrote it. He seems like a good kid and wants to please Katie, but just so darn young.

• Love 13

It really is unbelievable that the parents are going along with this. My guess is that Travis is blinded by Katie's pretty looks and sweet temperament. His paretns are in favor of their son getting a very fundy non ambitious girfriend who won't cause trouble. And the Bates are blinded by the Clark's wealth and hope to see Katie fitting in nicely. 

• Love 8

Other note:

I will admit I underestimated fundy fans love of cheaply made dresses. That said, the whole idea of a store front in an economy (even pre-pandemic) that is shifting away from that is a horrible idea. Even the logistics are crazy when you think about about three mothers who regularly bring their babies and kids to work with them being in an environment where there are customers. I'm sure that some of the leg humpers would travel to go to the store and meet them, but seriously...that's not exactly a good business model. What with rent, utilities, equipment, insurance, etc., they are going to have to charge more for those cheap dresses. Most "celebs" who have their own stores, hire people to work there and just lend their name to the project. This is turning into a fundy version of the Kardashians. What's next? Spin offs where they travel to Miami to start a new store?

My mother is retired from a B2B company that sold to retailers (large and small scale) things for visual merchandising. Said business is struggling and may not make it at this point because retailers are finding it more profitable to be online only. The company's big seller at the moment is going out of business signs.  

I do think it is a good idea to get an actual building and not use a metal pop up building that Chad put up for them in Zach and Whitney's backyard. But they should be looking for warehouse space not retail store frontage. 

Edited by RebeccatheWriter
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

Travis is Bobby Part II. I really don't get the sense that he likes HER. I get the sense that he wants a wife -- ANY girl, doesn't matter if it's Katie or some other fundie girl down the street. So he's playing the part of boyfriend as he thinks it should be played by being soft spoken, writing songs, not acting annoyed if he really is and she is playing the standard Bates girlfriend -- annoying, giggly, OMG SOOOOO desperate to chase him down the aisle etc. But the relationship doesn't seem "real" in any way to where they know each other's temperament or true likes/dislikes besides Katie's obsession with pizza and ice cream which rivals an intensity only seen in five year olds who have nothing else going on in their lives. I feel like most fundie boys -- Travis just wants to get some so he needs a wife and any pretty face will do.

IDK if he's thinking of the fact that what irritates you a bit now will totally piss you off later but there's nothing you can do about it then as you're stuck for the next 70+ years. I mean how does he not look at Bobby and say -- wow this miserable guy's life = my life 5 years from now. Though I wonder if part of it is that Travis himself is so young that he's not self aware enough yet to look 5 years head -- I mean 5 years is like 20% of the time he's been alive; it's the same way that as a high school senior, you think that college graduation and your first real job is SO far away and you'll be SO grown up then only to later realize that time flies at that age and before you know it freshman move in day turns into graduation day. Plus he's likely young enough and lacks enough life experience to be able to see his circumstances playing out in someone else's life and be able to recognize them as being the same. Hell it's all on tape. He should go out and watch Bobby and Tori's courtship and see how Bobby was annoyed with her even on the day he proposed as she was like -- omg where are we going; where; where; where the ring; are you asking now; now; how about now? I mean even his dad was pissed.

As for the cake smashing, I really think she thinks it's how you interact with boys -- by mocking them, throwing food on them and then giggling. It's very much how a 4th grader would show she liked a boy, not a college freshman age person. I mean when he came to Tenn for her birthday, they went out to lunch with a bunch of family members and then ice cream. Turns out Travis is just ok with ice cream and not obsessed with it so he just got a vanilla cone with no sprinkles. Katie stands around making fun of him for ONLY wanting vanilla. Uh Katie -- unlike you most normal people didn't dream last night about having ice cream today and fantasize about the perfect cone. And then she gets hers and it's vanilla too with some topping and he is "fundie annoyed" and says -- "you're giving me grief and you got vanilla too??" And then she smashes some of her ice cream in his face and again he's annoyed but says nothing in front of Mama Bates, Lawson, Tori etc who think this interaction is just precious. She's too dumb to even see when her man is annoyed with her bc I think this is how Bates females think you interact with boyfriends.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, 65mickey said:

It really is unbelievable that the parents are going along with this. My guess is that Travis is blinded by Katie's pretty looks and sweet temperament. His paretns are in favor of their son getting a very fundy non ambitious girfriend who won't cause trouble. And the Bates are blinded by the Clark's wealth and hope to see Katie fitting in nicely. 

Wait until the standoff when Ma and Pa Clark will fund living in NJ but not TN.  Katie and the rest of the Bates are not emotionally mature enough for her to pick up sticks and move to NJ.

Katie's not mature enough to behave properly when invited into someone's home to celebrate a birthday and the four bobbleheads running this circus are going to sign off on courtship and marriage? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

The first thing I did was to see how far New Berlin NJ is from where the RHONJ is....and poor Travis has to leave for TN? Katie in NJ - for what the aunt said "what you see is what you get " attitudes? 

and what does Travis bring economically to the picture? His singing voice ?

Way to go Momma Carla - throwing that ax! You showed the Bates what competitive means

Katie's hair.... just what color is she going for- eps. the roots - in the back ?

Would love to know how the long-distance courtship is going on through covid - the same way it was before the official courtship? wonder would that make it longer to get to engagement and then the aisle..

Edited by sATL
  • Love 5

OH ! before I forget - let me give a positive shout out to Kelly's outfit. She actually ditched the sleeveless ski vest and just wore a blouse when they arrived at the house..

Actually everyone was dressed quite formally... I guess they were going to/from church.

Edited by sATL
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, cereality said:

Travis is Bobby Part II. I really don't get the sense that he likes HER. I get the sense that he wants a wife -- ANY girl, doesn't matter if it's Katie or some other fundie girl down the street. So he's playing the part of boyfriend as he thinks it should be played by being soft spoken, writing songs, not acting annoyed if he really is and she is playing the standard Bates girlfriend -- annoying, giggly, OMG SOOOOO desperate to chase him down the aisle etc. But the relationship doesn't seem "real" in any way to where they know each other's temperament or true likes/dislikes besides Katie's obsession with pizza and ice cream which rivals an intensity only seen in five year olds who have nothing else going on in their lives. I feel like most fundie boys -- Travis just wants to get some so he needs a wife and any pretty face will do.

IDK if he's thinking of the fact that what irritates you a bit now will totally piss you off later but there's nothing you can do about it then as you're stuck for the next 70+ years. I mean how does he not look at Bobby and say -- wow this miserable guy's life = my life 5 years from now. Though I wonder if part of it is that Travis himself is so young that he's not self aware enough yet to look 5 years head -- I mean 5 years is like 20% of the time he's been alive; it's the same way that as a high school senior, you think that college graduation and your first real job is SO far away and you'll be SO grown up then only to later realize that time flies at that age and before you know it freshman move in day turns into graduation day. Plus he's likely young enough and lacks enough life experience to be able to see his circumstances playing out in someone else's life and be able to recognize them as being the same. Hell it's all on tape. He should go out and watch Bobby and Tori's courtship and see how Bobby was annoyed with her even on the day he proposed as she was like -- omg where are we going; where; where; where the ring; are you asking now; now; how about now? I mean even his dad was pissed.

As for the cake smashing, I really think she thinks it's how you interact with boys -- by mocking them, throwing food on them and then giggling. It's very much how a 4th grader would show she liked a boy, not a college freshman age person. I mean when he came to Tenn for her birthday, they went out to lunch with a bunch of family members and then ice cream. Turns out Travis is just ok with ice cream and not obsessed with it so he just got a vanilla cone with no sprinkles. Katie stands around making fun of him for ONLY wanting vanilla. Uh Katie -- unlike you most normal people didn't dream last night about having ice cream today and fantasize about the perfect cone. And then she gets hers and it's vanilla too with some topping and he is "fundie annoyed" and says -- "you're giving me grief and you got vanilla too??" And then she smashes some of her ice cream in his face and again he's annoyed but says nothing in front of Mama Bates, Lawson, Tori etc who think this interaction is just precious. She's too dumb to even see when her man is annoyed with her bc I think this is how Bates females think you interact with boyfriends.

They both are only looking at what the other represents, not who they actually are.   Neither one actually has the experience, depth and maturity to even understand who they are yet.

What kind of parent doesn't know these things about their own child -- and completely overlooks it and okays making very important, life altering decisions, especially ones that are considered permanent in their beliefs?  

• Like 1
  • Love 7

Didn’t one of the other boys use the “senses” theme when asking a girl to court? Maybe it was a Duggar courtship. I remember it because the guy spelled it “sense”ability instead of sensibility and people made fun of him. I want to say it was Kelton but I’m not sure.

• Useful 1
11 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

They both are only looking at what the other represents, not who they actually are.   Neither one actually has the experience, depth and maturity to even understand who they are yet.

What kind of parent doesn't know these things about their own child -- and completely overlooks it and okays making very important, life altering decisions, especially ones that are considered permanent in their beliefs?  

Coming from a conservative religious culture (not Christian fundie but we have our own fundies in our own faith - though I am not), let me tell you parents will overlook EVERYTHING when it comes to marriage. They'll overlook a bride or a groom who is immature/doesn't seem ready/seems to only be marrying for sex; they'll overlook bride or groom seeming disinterested in the other; they'll ignore a groom who seems mean and may not treat their daughter really well. I mean in the fundie parts of my faith, if there is ANYTHING wrong with a kid -- i.e. maybe depression/anxiety, a learning disability, a health issue that needs to be handled long term, can't hold down a job whatever -- often the parents are like, find him/her a wife/husband, he/she will be fine, just needs to settle down -- i.e. make him/her their spouse's problem. Because WHEW my son/daughter is MARRIED. DONE. Obligation fulfilled. No one will be looking at ME as the parent of a 28 year old or 36 year old who is still single and has no babies and wondering what is wrong with them.

The Bates and Clarks are no different. They are CHOOSING not to see that their 19 year olds aren't ready. Reality is they're both 19 and immature due to lack of exposure to the world -- school, friends, even casual friends of the opposite sex. That doesn't mean they can never be right for each other like if they grew up in the next 5-10 years. But reality is right now they aren't right for each other as they don't have the same personality type. Say what you will but Evan and Carlin are right for each other because they are BOTH annoying, loud, attention whores. These two have very different personality types which means one of them has to change a lot to make it work -- Katie either gets more subdued (not happening if she is able to bring him to live in Tenn with her 4700 siblings and inlaws) or T just grins and bears it in life (more likely - just like Bobby). If these two wanted to change themselves over time -- as often happens as people grow thru college, jobs, seeing how coworkers in their industry are etc. -- then great -- maybe they'd happen to grow in the same directions on their own accord and then in 5-10 years they're perfect. But to tie 2 19 yr olds who don't even known themselves together for life and hope they grow the same way with no option for divorce, yeah that's a life of quiet misery -- i.e. Bobby. Though at least Bobby did it to himself, his parents did NOT seem pleased in the slightest at his choice of gf, his choice to move to a trailer in Rocky Top to be near her, to give up his first choice job in ministry after 6 mos bc they had to go live near HER family etc. I mean even at the wedding they did NOT seem pleased -- even less so when immature Tori got the giggles at the altar and stopped the ceremony for a while bc . . . giggles.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, ehall1052 said:

Didn’t one of the other boys use the “senses” theme when asking a girl to court? Maybe it was a Duggar courtship. I remember it because the guy spelled it “sense”ability instead of sensibility and people made fun of him. I want to say it was Kelton but I’m not sure.

Kelton did the courtship proposal on the bridge and then the engagement with charms for her bracelet about things important to their relationship. I remember there was a bridge charm and a coffee charm. There was talk of their Love Language. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, RebeccatheWriter said:

Other note:

I will admit I underestimated fundy fans love of cheaply made dresses. That said, the whole idea of a store front in an economy (even pre-pandemic) that is shifting away from that is a horrible idea. Even the logistics are crazy when you think about about three mothers who regularly bring their babies and kids to work with them being in an environment where there are customers. I'm sure that some of the leg humpers would travel to go to the store and meet them, but seriously...that's not exactly a good business model. What with rent, utilities, equipment, insurance, etc., they are going to have to charge more for those cheap dresses. Most "celebs" who have their own stores, hire people to work there and just lend their name to the project. This is turning into a fundy version of the Kardashians. What's next? Spin offs where they travel to Miami to start a new store?

My mother is retired from a B2B company that sold to retailers (large and small scale) things for visual merchandising. Said business is struggling and may not make it at this point because retailers are finding it more profitable to be online only. The company's big seller at the moment is going out of business signs.  

I do think it is a good idea to get an actual building and not use a metal pop up building that Chad put up for them in Zach and Whitney's backyard. But they should be looking for warehouse space not retail store frontage. 

not Miami . The FL city where Alyssa lives. Gotta give Alyssa credit - she dresses her girls real cute , Her input could be of some value.

I'm not understanding their reasoning... Is the answer for too much inventory is to get a larger storage space ?  Carlin kept mentioning photo shoots... yes - some photo shoots are done inside, against a drop of some kind, but outside works too - eps. where they live.  I'll give them credit on the natural outside beauty. And just how often are the photo sessions? She was acting like they are getting ready for NY fashion week.

Now if they carve out a space for Tori to run her classroom (that is only open to Bates' offsprings) then maybe they have something here..

------

If Katie got 5 gifts for a courtship, how many does she get for an engagement? Marriage? Each push-out Gift ?

Edited by sATL
  • Useful 1

Katie is such a child. My god, she was insufferable during that entire trip. Travis seems to be a bit more mature, but just wait until Katie is exclusively his problem. 

She's Tori 2.0. Not good.

• Love 10
(edited)

Did Jackson ever end up doing ALERT? I ask because the Duggars are pimping it out with a discount code on their FB page. If this is the first session since they were shut down, I'd think those who missed out would get priority registration.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2

Hey Kelly, you seem to forget you still have kids at home. At least six or seven. Maybe take care of them? Does she do anything? Does Gil?

Oh good another designer project. This time Tori needed help getting Kade's room now ready for Kolter. Of course she calls Erin and Chad ends up doing the work. Do Tori and Erin do anything? 

Willow was really cute. 

Was Lawson channeling his inner Tom Cruise from Top Gun while was flying the plane? His jacket and his sunglasses just made me have a Top Gun flashback.  

The description on Comcast said Jackson was forced to leave boot camp.  He was forced to leave Alert, I wouldn't call that boot camp.  I feel sorry for Jackson because I think he does have goals and it seems that "real life" keeps getting in his way. I hope he does actually make it to the Marines boot camp and he succeeds. I wouldn't hold my breath on either one, but I wish for his sake he can succeed.  

Why were neither Dr. Vick nor Tori wearing masks?  I have a doctor's appointment this morning and their confirmation call said masks are mandatory. Not a problem.  

I've said it before and I know I will say it again.  Chad is too good to that family.  

• Love 4

I get that most of this was pre-lockdown, but Kelly Jo's attitude was more like it was a storm warning. It seemed like they were all waiting on the rules to come down but not doing anything in the meantime. I halfway expected footage of her running around the house screaming, "the 'Rona's a coming."

Tori, it really would be ok for baby K to come home to his name not being on the wall or one of Erin's feature walls. You are (were) pregnant in a time when nobody knew if there might be extenuating risks involved. So you invite over Chad and Erin (plus a kid or two) and Michaela bringing food? It's all okay because they haven't "shut down" the state of Tennessee yet.

Jackson, playing Christian militia in Texas is not equivalent to military boot camp. I'm sorry that he was disappointed, but he should have at least appreciated the fact that he was allowed to go without a chaperone even on the trip there. Remember when Erin started at Crown and Alyssa was sent with her (I think Alyssa), not to take classes but to be an accountability partner? 

Layla's head turban made me laugh. I know that fundie moms love head accessories for babies. Willow sported an assortment of them in muted tones. But it made Layla look like a baby fortune teller. Dating myself here, but if she started speaking in a fake Jamaican accent like Madame Cleo, I wouldn't have been surprised. 

Erin, you are not a designer. You're barely decorating. Quit making your husband do craft projects for your siblings. 

Kelton, I am happy for you and Bobby that you didn't have to close the plumbing business. I agree that emergency calls on plumbing are essential. I would have rather heard from you how you were making changes to be safer. That would have been more telling and informative than celebrating. Same with John. I realize this was filmed in March, but it came off a bit like gloating. Oh, you lost your job? Not me. I'm essential in plumbing and HVAC. 

Lawson and Nathan, I'm guessing Nathan is still flying planes owned by Jim Bob Duggar. There is no reason I can think of for you to be in Arkansas for Lawson's training. I realize most people think that Tennessee is all rural and the establishing shots from the show indicate that you live off a dirt road with cows as directional beacons, but there are airports of various sizes in Tennessee. And it isn't as though Arkansas is some big metropolis by comparison.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Did Jackson ever end up doing ALERT? I ask because the Duggars are pimping it out with a discount code on their FB page. If this is the first session since they were shut down, I'd think those who missed out would get priority registration.

He said in the episode that it was being rescheduled for September, so I'd guess it hasn't taken place yet.  It also seems that he would already be registered if he chooses to attend. 

• Love 2

I realize that I parented my babies a couple decades ago now, but is it customary these days to give snacks to your newly crawling baby while they're trying to scoot around on the floor?   Even a skilled crawler or solids eater is going to drop foods regularly. 

• Love 2

I thought it was completely ridiculous that someone who owns a business called Emergency Plumbing, blah , blah, blah had to even question if he was essential. Really? Of course you are essential dumbass!

I too was surprised at the lack of face coverings but that was at the very early stages of the pandemic when people were being told that masks didn’t make a difference. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mountainair said:

I thought it was completely ridiculous that someone who owns a business called Emergency Plumbing, blah , blah, blah had to even question if he was essential. Really? Of course you are essential dumbass!

I too was surprised at the lack of face coverings but that was at the very early stages of the pandemic when people were being told that masks didn’t make a difference. 

The name of his business is Tennessee Standard. The word “emergency “ is no where on his truck (at least on the side). I gathered that he wanted to make it known to the guy on the phone that he was willing to make emergency calls, thus securing his business as essential.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, Tikichick said:

He said in the episode that it was being rescheduled for September, so I'd guess it hasn't taken place yet.  It also seems that he would already be registered if he chooses to attend. 

I think that's the session the Duggars are selling. Enrolment must be in the toilet.

• Useful 2
6 hours ago, Tikichick said:

is this where he is going for $3900????

https://alertacademy.com/alert/training/basic-training/

So the Bates are willing to put up $4 grand, as opposed to a FREE meeting with a military recruiter to see if Jackson likes the experience/atmosphere ?

As much as I would love to see Jackson fulfill his dream, after reading the above posts, I feel sad for him that he's not going to make it in. Not only its peacetime, it is also high unemployment. Which means there perfectly medically and educationally qualified individuals who might now consider joining - esp. to pay for school or to make ends meet. That will add to the selective-ness  of getting into any branch.

Edited by sATL
  • Useful 1
8 minutes ago, sATL said:

is this where he is going for $3900????

https://alertacademy.com/alert/training/basic-training/

So the Bates are willing to put up $4 grand, as opposed to a FREE meeting with a military recruiter to see if Jackson likes the experience/atmosphere ?

As much as I would love to see Jackson fulfill his dream, after reading the above posts, I feel sad for him that he's not going to make it in. Not only its peacetime, it is also high unemployment. Which means there perfectly medically and educationally qualified individuals who might now consider joining - esp. to pay for school or to make ends meet. That will add to the selective-ness  of getting into any branch.

Considering he's a spawn of Gil Bates, who quit his real job with good benefits as he begat to sire an army, takes his children to an orthodontist who gives deeper discounts for each successive child brought in for treatment, and uses said army to procure platforms like a TV program and social media where they share the benefits of this program, I'm gonna guess that Bates boys (Duggars too) attend for little to no tuition. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Gil Bates still sits on the IBLP board of directors. I'm sure Jackson is getting a free ride. 

And I think the $3900 is for all 3 phases, not just the first one. It was around $900 when the older Duggarspawn attended, so I guess ~$1300 for 9 weeks is about right, given inflation.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I guess I'm surprised Tori didn't have the baby at home or like at a birthing center that Alyssa used...

On the news here during that time, there were a few mommies-to-be who after consulting with their medical team, opted to do home births as they were afraid of the hospital goings-on. And that allowed them to have at least hubby, caregiver, siblings and anyone else willing to mask-up/social distance at the event.

Proud of her letting everyone and herself know that a woman can have a baby without a boatload of relatives in the room. Geez , imagine that.. 

Edited by sATL
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, Tikichick said:

Considering he's a spawn of Gil Bates, who quit his real job with good benefits as he begat to sire an army, takes his children to an orthodontist who gives deeper discounts for each successive child brought in for treatment, and uses said army to procure platforms like a TV program and social media where they share the benefits of this program, I'm gonna guess that Bates boys (Duggars too) attend for little to no tuition. 

I don't know about ALERT specifically, but a lot of the IBLP programs are done with "scholarships" through churches. IBLP will sell their lessons and materials to small churches (and many larger churches) to get the IBLP curriculum or ministry out there in the mainstream. In return, they will tell the church to offer one of their boys or girls (or group) some money to go to different programs that IBLP offers. IBLP covers the tuition, which would have gone back to them anyway, and the church collects money for the other expenses like travel. The church looks good to its members for sending young people for some Godly experience and IBLP gets to brainwash more people to go back into the churches and bring them along. 

Another example of this is when a couple approaches a minister at a church about marital issues. IBLP sells these churches kits where they can offer marriage counseling classes. So the couple is sent to this weekly class and told that they will benefit from it. IBLP contacts the church a few times a year and says that they are having retreats for married couples. They are having a special deal and why not send a couple or two to the retreat for a lower price. In exchange, said couple will now be "certified" to teach the class to others at the church. 

The church leadership thinks they are getting a great deal and sending people to these wonderful programs. Meanwhile the program's purpose is honestly brainwashing and participants go back to their churches and convince others that their relationship with God is incomplete without these extra things IBLP has to offer. They begin lobbying, for lack of a better word, for the church to pay for more things from IBLP. Soon the church is selling IBLP sanctioned books, DVDs, etc. in the lobby. The congregation members who went to Big Sandy, etc. are the sales people who say, "you have to watch this or read this. I was there and it changed my relationship with God or encouraged me." For selling things, the church gets a cut and some of the people who were brainwashed get a cut in the form of a discount off of more programs they can attend. 

• Useful 2

Ok.. this is shaping up to be one of the better episodes...

It took a pandemic

• for Gil to realize his son is 18 yrs old and he might have to sit out during a medical appt ( I think I got the speech when male offspring was 12-13)
  • for Michella to see a birth. not every birth was during class-time, or she could have came after class
  • for Kelly to realize a grand-baby can be born  without her standing over the doctors shoulder
  • for it to be OK for Tori to wear PJ pants on camera
  • to offload another offspring elsewhere - Addy. Yes - Kade needed a sitter, but I'm sure she was missed from Kelli's to-do list ( yeah - I saw all those snacks/groceries that needed to be put away)
  • Lawson might have been joking in his TH - but he made reference to a baby pool ; "I'll put $10 on that.."... so the Bates know about pools  ?
  • to see Katie's roots (again).. Man, I hope she was able to get in as soon as the salon's reopened..I guess  sister Josie was out of her color at home.
  • for Tori to experience peace in the delivery room

Why didn't Gil  take Trace to the same hospital Tori was at ?

Does JB Duggar get a cut for showing the flight school in Springdale, Ark ?

Tori was packing with an open suitcase on her bed - next to Addy. something was blurred out.. Any guesses what that could have been that our eyes (or upn) couldn't handle ?🍿

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, sATL said:

Ok.. this is shaping up to be one of the better episodes...

It took a pandemic

• for Gil to realize his son is 18 yrs old and he might have to sit out during a medical appt ( I think I got the speech when male offspring was 12-13)
  • for Michella to see a birth. not every birth was during class-time, or she could have came after class
  • for Kelly to realize a grand-baby can be before without her standing over the doctors shoulder

Why didn't Gil  take Trace to the same hospital Tori was at ?

Tori delivered in Knoxville, and Gil took Trace to the closest hospital to where they live.

Such a snooze fest.  What really gets me about all these fundies is, they preach modesty yet everyone has to be present including cameramen when they are pushing out a baby.  They are willing to "show" everyone their most private part.  No way would I have wanted my dad in the room, even if he was behind a curtain, peeking around.  If everyone wants to be there, then have a home birth but be considerate of others that are in that hospital.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, iluvobx said:

Tori delivered in Knoxville, and Gil took Trace to the closest hospital to where they live.

Such a snooze fest.  What really gets me about all these fundies is, they preach modesty yet everyone has to be present including cameramen when they are pushing out a baby.  They are willing to "show" everyone their most private part.  No way would I have wanted my dad in the room, even if he was behind a curtain, peeking around.  If everyone wants to be there, then have a home birth but be considerate of others that are in that hospital.

I thought Knoxville was the closest... to everyone

• Love 2

I think we've all said on here that Bobby looks miserable in his marriage -- by now the novelty of sex is gone and he's realized Tori is just whiny and annoying. Well it was nice to see him happy for once. He seems to really love his kids and I guess that's what keeps him going in his home life. Hope Kelton's business takes off and pays him well and they have a ton of kids. He's only one of 3 kids though and he's 25, so if they were to only have 3, they'd all be 20-ish and likely off finding their own spouses before Bobby was even 50 -- leaving him a LOT of time with a wife he doesn't really like. I'm guessing living near the Bates under fundie influence, they'll have more than 3 though I don't see more than 5-6 simply bc I think that's how many bestie Kelton would have maximum to still preserve a nice lifestyle and he tries to be very lockstep with Kelton. I don't see Kelton with 6 in a nice McMansion and Bobby with 12 stuffed into a house clipping coupons and trying to make ends meet.

His wife is still annoying though. I mean ok your 37 sisters and sisters in law can't be at your delivery. So what?? How about for this one birth make it about you and your HUSBAND and you can look back at that birth as being for US, not for 37 other family members? Your mommy will survive. And yeah Kelly a baby CAN be born even if you aren't staring at your daughter's crotch and Gil isn't pressing his ear up against the delivery room door. 

It was nice to see Michaela during the birth though. That was a look for pure joy. She truly does love babies/kids just for the sake of loving them not because it's a status thing in fundie world. I mean you'd think for someone whose been trying for so long and not been successful, you think even 1% of her would be sad or pissed that Tori who is a whiner or Carlin who just dumps off her 6 mo old to anyone who'll take her can have babies so easily. Yet she had none of that look watching the birth. Frankly this time around she could've easily played the -- oops my wifi cut out or sorry I have a class -- totally plausible given the 4:15 in the afternoon birth -- just so she wouldn't have to subject herself to it.

• Love 7
On 8/28/2020 at 9:57 AM, sATL said:

• Lawson might have been joking in his TH - but he made reference to a baby pool ; "I'll put $10 on that.."... so the Bates know about pools  ?
2 hours ago, floridamom said:

Who puts full make up on to go to the hospital to deliver a baby? 

Never been through childbirth, but doubting I would stream it live to the family either. 

Lawson has made the betting pool comment before with katie I think. He said he'd put money on something but the Bates don't bet. Then they acted like they were going to anyway. 

• Love 1