Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: The Guy for This

• Start Topic

(edited)
5 hours ago, Ellaria Sand said:

What her childhood was actually like may not matter. What she remembers from her childhood may be another thing.

Good point! (and love your entire post) I think both the Freakonomics and Hidden Brain podcasts have referenced studies that demonstrate that only 50% of our memories really happened as we recall them because over time we as we are remembering the memories rather than reliving the events, and so the facts degrade like in the children’s whispering game of telephone. I think maybe Kim’s mom or someone probably said that “it’s so cold, the poor child’s toes are blue!” and, even if they were blue, it’s not really Kim’s memory —if that makes sense. 

The depth of discussion here is a real testament to Vince Gilligan’s creative genius. 

6 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Reminds me of the old children's book, The Little House.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTk4R1Bo0BYjYuCZErJ3hQ

I thought of that book too! The little house did get moved in the end, didn’t it?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4

A discussion, on some other thread,  about earliest childhood memories, revealed how vivid colors were for many of us.  Those of us whose first memories were at toddler age always mentioned the carpet color.  I can definitely imagine little Kim in the backseat of her mother's car looking at her purple toes and remembering them. 

One reason I believe Kim's story is that she has talked about being poor before.  She left her hometown because she could see no future there at all.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Now that da Fedz are back on BCS, have we ever seen what the BOLO or Wanted posters for the DEA look like? I'd love to see Gene/Saul staring at his.

As the BB cast is reassembled, this show gets closer to becoming "The Walking Dead"

• Love 2

I love how on this show when you see a close up on a bunch of ants, you really have no idea what you are going to get. Are they swarming ice cream thats also a metaphor for how often good people can continue justifying their own increasingly morally questionable actions until they become a person they dont recognize, losing their past idealism, or are they swarming a dead body of someone we know!

• Love 6

I just finished watching "Silk" for the first time (a BBC legal drama from the Dr. Who juggernaut production machine -- so they have the formula down) and it was really wonderful.  Like most of those shows, it ended too soon.

BUT, the point being, the technique the main character on that show used was the same technique Kim tried to use -- give your recalcitrant client (or problem child of any legal nature, in this case) a personal story from your own life that tells them you identify with their issue.  On "Silk" it worked every time, of course.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, Captanne said:

I just finished watching "Silk" for the first time (a BBC legal drama from the Dr. Who juggernaut production machine -- so they have the formula down) and it was really wonderful.  Like most of those shows, it ended too soon.

BUT, the point being, the technique the main character on that show used was the same technique Kim tried to use -- give your recalcitrant client (or problem child of any legal nature, in this case) a personal story from your own life that tells them you identify with their issue.  On "Silk" it worked every time, of course.  

So, were the Silk characters telling true stories about their lives?

(edited)

Yes, the stories Martha Costello told her clients were true about her own life.

It was a technique she used to put them at ease and to make her less of a stereotypical attorney and more identifiable as a fellow human being.

That character was a committed criminal defense attorney who only occasionally dabbled in prosecution.  She was always dealing with lowlifes who had no trust in the "system".

It's a great show.  I found it on the PBS Channel on my Roku.  https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/shows/silk/  I was a US defense attorney for six years so I found it very enjoyable.  Typical Peter Moffatt fare, but still interesting.  One particular part was incredibly smart.

Edited by Captanne
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 3/4/2020 at 11:57 AM, Dev F said:

I think great series television is one of the prime artistic achievements of our time, precisely because it can produce meaningful throughlines across years and dozens of episodes. The best series TV -- and I would certainly count Better Call Saul in that company -- rewards close attention and sustained analysis to a degree that's hard to match in any other art form.

Totally agree.  

On 3/4/2020 at 10:03 AM, ShadowFacts said:

I think that is possible. I'm reacting to him based on what we've been shown so far, that's the only way I can. But they could flip the script on us and he turns out to have been a cagey schemer who thought he could get a nice payday by being the last one there. I wouldn't like that. I don't think that's what's happening, but the door is slightly open because there really was no reason for him to allow Kim in that night after reaming her out. With him not responding to her emotional appeal though, and not having any slight attempt at negotiation, I think he is likely ready to stay there until he is forcibly removed.

I also think the likely outcome is Acker will refuse to leave his property, and his removal will be unpleasant and will have a negative impact on Kim.  But anything is possible.  That's the great thing about casting Barry Corbin for this role.  They can have Acker do anything and it will be completely engaging.  

For that matter, I wish they had cast him as Kim's dad.  She needs a moral compass.  

Edited by PeterPirate
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Captanne said:

Yes, the stories Martha Costello told her clients were true about her own life.

It was a technique she used to put them at ease and to make her less of a stereotypical attorney and more identifiable as a fellow human being.

That character was a committed criminal defense attorney who only occasionally dabbled in prosecution.  She was always dealing with lowlifes who had no trust in the "system".

It's a great show.  I found it on the PBS Channel on my Roku.  https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/shows/silk/  I was a US defense attorney for six years so I found it very enjoyable.  Typical Peter Moffatt fare, but still interesting.  One particular part was incredibly smart.

Thanks. That's high praise - generally people in the professions depicted on tv shows aren't too thrilled with the shows.

50 minutes ago, PeterPirate said:

For that matter, I wish they had cast him as Kim's dad.  She needs a moral compass.  

My suspicion is that Kim's father didn't have much of a moral compass. And maybe, that he was a little more like Saul (not Jimmy) than she'd like to admit.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

If I got frustrated with procedure or behavior, I just chalked it up to UK-isms versus RL in the US system.

The issue I take with Kim as she is written and portrayed is that she doesn't communicate worth a damn.  I really have no idea what she's thinking most of the time.  Their relationship is a complete mystery to me.  

So, given the nature of the story, it's perfectly fair to wonder if her personal story is complete bullshit.  It could be.  But, in this case and with no basis in precedent or current fact, I believe her story was true.  Maybe that's because I just wrapped up Silk.  I don't know.

PS:  It was watching Silk that kept me from getting caught up on BCS when it first started.  Silk only ran for 3 European seasons (18 total episodes?) and then went *poof*, quite literally.  Wiki says the lead actor said, "Let's end on a high note" so they ... sort of did.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 4

I think a very Saul thing to do would be to put Mr Acker's house on wheels and haul it miles away to a new location, everything televised and such.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Captanne said:

PS:  It was watching Silk that kept me from getting caught up on BCS when it first started.  Silk only ran for 3 European seasons (18 total episodes?) and then went *poof*, quite literally.  Wiki says the lead actor said, "Let's end on a high note" so they ... sort of did.

I found all three seasons of Silk on Hulu. Haven't had a chance to watch yet, but just letting folks know that if they're interested, there's that option as well. I've had some issues with my PBS app - some things are free and others aren't.

• Love 2
(edited)
20 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

My suspicion is that Kim's father didn't have much of a moral compass. And maybe, that he was a little more like Saul (not Jimmy) than she'd like to admit.

The alternate possibility, of course, is that Kim's dad was a great person, and Kim was a wayward youth who goofed off in school and ended up working in the mailroom of a law firm in New Mexico.  Also, another way to look at the bottle scene is that Kim was frustrated because she tried to use her "power for good" on Acker, and he didn't fall for it.  

I'm also looking forward to seeing more of Domingo.  The scenes between him and Walt in the basement of Jesse's house are mesmerizing.  And he is in a delicate situation, having to convince Hank and Gomie that he is a genuine CI, while not getting whacked for being a rat.

Edited by PeterPirate
  • Love 4

The highlight of the episode for me was seeing how great a cop Hank was. He sniffed out Saul's scam in seconds. Of course, Saul is also great at what he does so he was able to improvise and save the scheme.

Still, Hank could always think in 3 dimensions. The only reason he didn't catch Walt earlier was that big old family-shaped blind spot.

• Love 8
(edited)
16 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Does Acker have a lawyer? 

I would guess not.  On rewatch I noted that Kim introduced herself to Acker, which in itself seems odd.  Acker had already been to court, and lawyer or not, he should have met Kim then.  Alternately, if Kim had one of her S&C associates go to court previously, that person would have been good enough to deliver the increased buyout offer.  Or maybe Mesa Verde didn't send any advocate at all to defend their interests.  Eh, it's early and my mind picks at nits.  

Edited by PeterPirate
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, PeterPirate said:

I would guess not.  On rewatch I noted that Kim introduced herself to Acker, which in itself seems odd.  Acker had already been to court, and lawyer or not, he should have met Kim then.  Alternately, if Kim had one of her S&C associates go to court previously, that person would have been good enough to deliver the increased buyout offer.  Or maybe Mesa Verde didn't send any advocate at all to defend their interests.  Eh, it's early and my mind picks at nits.  

I think that her partner on the phone said words to the effect that Mesa Verde wants you out there now, the associates can't handle it or something. She was familiar with what had happened with his previous legal argument but maybe wasn't personally involved. This could have been dragging out for a long time and some predecessor to Kim handled it.

12 hours ago, PeterPirate said:

The alternate possibility, of course, is that Kim's dad was a great person, and Kim was a wayward youth who goofed off in school and ended up working in the mailroom of a law firm in New Mexico.  Also, another way to look at the bottle scene is that Kim was frustrated because she tried to use her "power for good" on Acker, and he didn't fall for it.  

Her father could have been largely absent. And your interpretation of the bottle scene was exactly how I took it. I would have felt a little bit smash-y myself but wouldn't have gone the juvenile route she did.

• Love 3

What is that instrumental music playing when Nacho is talking to Fring near the end about the drops? It's from another movie or TV show I know I've heard before, but I can't place it. Anyone recognize it?

On 3/3/2020 at 11:13 AM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

The moment with Nacho with the OCD girl was another G/G gem.

What does G/G mean?

On 3/3/2020 at 11:13 AM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I was interested that TPTB chose not to show that in close up, as they did the ring moment.  80 pieces of paper (silver).

What is TPTB?

6 minutes ago, nuraman00 said:

What does G/G mean?

What is TPTB?

G/G = Vince Gilligan (producer) and Peter Gould (principal writer).  Each are co-creators and showrunners of this series.

TPTB - The Powers That Be.  This term was used to describe the production team responsible for shows on a previous and popular review site.  To me, it is a more broad/expansive list of folks who shape a given show.    

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

G/G = Vince Gilligan (producer) and Peter Gould (principal writer).  Each are co-creators and showrunners of this series.

Masters of the show not tell use of a visual medium, but that often requires patience and engagement. All hail ant-cam!

The use of ABT (aggravated bottle tossing) as a symbol of Kim’s descent from hurt, or guilt, was to pick an act the audience would recoil from but not anything self destructive. Noticed that Jimmy supported her feeling right away.

• Love 2

I tend to believe Kim's story was real. If you look at how she dresses, particularly in the first couple of seasons, she's put together enough to pass muster, but her clothes are clearly not expensive, and she's cobbling her professional look together out of what she can afford. Her apartment is nice, but small and aside from her occasional outings she has no expensive tastes. We also know she's a saver: she could stump up the $14k and change to pay Howard off in S3 even though she couldn't afford to pay him back before. 

• Love 3
On 3/3/2020 at 8:43 AM, Bryce Lynch said:

I am kind of in between on him.  I felt bad for the guy losing his house and could understand him not wanting to give in.  Also, we don't know how much of a discount he got because of the buyback clause, and how clearly it was disclosed to him when he signed the deal 30 something years earlier.  In addition, as Kim mentioned, the $5,000 wouldn't go nearly as far as when he bought the house.  

On the other hand, a contract is a contract and he had his day in court and lost.

This is basically how I felt about "predatory lending" claims during the Great Recession. The info is all there. if you assume you'll be able to handle it, and you're wrong, it;s not predatory.

On 3/3/2020 at 8:55 AM, monakane said:

I know I'm in the minority, but I'm finding this season somewhat boring.  The episodes feel like they are meandering and the writing seems off. 

While I agree that the pace of the show is slow (and usually is, this or BB), I think the writing is spot on. We are seeing people sort through options and their fates await. Some have none any longer (Nacho), some have many and can't decide (Kim), some think they are smart enough to win any battle (Gus), etc.

I also want to note that thew ay BCS is bringing back characters we know is very natural and enjoyable. Contrast that with Star Trek: Picard, where every ep feels like Picard is on an awkward "visit old buddies for the audience" tour.

I also loved how Hank immediately identified the name Saul Goodman. He's no slouch.

• Love 2
On 3/3/2020 at 4:20 AM, Bryce Lynch said:

I loved seeing Mike break the arm of the thug who liked to prey on the elderly.  I wonder if the guy calling him "Gramps" set him off. ("It's Pop Pop, scumbag!").  Seriously, though, I think if they called him "old man" it might not have set him off as much.  Gramps reminded him of his blow-up at Kaylee, which was part of what he was drinking to forget.

My sincere apologies if someone's already mentioned this, but I'm late to the party and have a belly full of cabernet sauvignon so I'm not inclined to wade through 4 pages of comments.

There's no way that Mike would have survived breaking that guy's arm.  The rest of the gang would have been on him like jackals on an antelope, and I've seen enough Worldstarhiphop videos to know this is truth.  He'd have been *dead*.  They wouldn't have been stunned by his display of macho or alpha, or whatever Gilligan was trying to put across. Maybe the intention was to show that that's what Mike wanted in the depths of his despair, but if so, he would have gotten it.  In spades. 

Otherwise, I liked this ep.

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 4

I think the gang thought the old dude was batshit crazy, and many times people--even thugs--shy away from crazy people, at least initially.

Also, without giving away spoilers, you should watch the next episode.   

On 3/3/2020 at 10:55 AM, monakane said:

I know I'm in the minority, but I'm finding this season somewhat boring.  The episodes feel like they are meandering and the writing seems off.  I'm committed and will see the series through to the end.  I'm hoping the pace picks up.

Do you have room for one more? I have HATED this season so far!! Slow, plodding, boring. So not Breaking Bad which had me riveted in every single episode and yes, I know it's an unfair comparison but I can't help it. I just can't believe that the same people who did BB are doing this. 

It has the capacity to be just as good as BB because you've got: a built in audience, it has great characters and what a premise!!! Instead it's a drag, perking up when Mike or Gus appear or Hank and Gomie but then it instantly reverts back to this, this VOID.

I feel sorry for Kim. She really seems "off" this season, distracted and she appears very troubled. I hope they don't have a horrible ending planned for her. I'd just like to see her and Jimmy part ways and that's it.

• Love 1

Awesome episode! Who played Mr. Acker? His voice was so familiar.

Did Jimmy really think a drug dealer would have trouble paying his “all day” fee? Lalo was all here’s $8000, keep the change! 😆

The ant segment was amazing. Loved the music.

I first became aware of the Mr. Acker actor (Barry Corbin) on Dallas.  He played the Braddock County Sheriff Fenton Washburn (the fictional Texas County near Dallas where Southfork Ranch was located) that was often at odds or accused of being under the thumb of JR Ewing.  He appeared in at least 4 or 5 of the most popular seasons...he arrested Jock  Ewing for murder, threatened to arrest JR for the murder of his sister in law, threatened to arrest Sue Ellen Ewing for vehicular homicide, and helped to rescue Ms. Ellie Ewing from a kidnapping attempt.  Those Ewings sure did keep him busy!

• Love 2