Type keyword(s) to search

Family Karma - General Discussion

TexasGal
  • Start Topic

35 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

Bali has lost me with this whole Anisha/Vishal thing.  When relaying the story to her mom she said Vishal and Amrit had been verbally abusive to her at the Diwali event.  That seemed like a reach to me.

Yeah I initially liked Bali, but now that she was shown to be lying, I am souring on her.  She is reaching.

So her mom owns the flower company but her dad works retail at Victoria's Secret?  Something is not adding up...

• Love 4
1 hour ago, TexasGal said:

Bali has lost me with this whole Anisha/Vishal thing.  When relaying the story to her mom she said Vishal and Amrit had been verbally abusive to her at the Diwali event.  That seemed like a reach to me.

Yeah I am curious to see how Anisha feels now that she has see what was actual said. Anisha should have listened to her mother and went and talked to Vishal by himself not show up demanding a very specific apology based on events she was not there for and not allowing him to speak. Not to mention not acknowledging the shit she said about him.She seems to want a friendship on very specific terms that she sets. 
Also, Vishal even gave Bali in our saying it was a misunderstanding of what he said, even though it wasn’t, and she just kept insisting that what she said was absolutely correct.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 7

I don’t get the feeling that Bali was deliberately lying at all. I think she correctly remembered the “vibe” of the conversation that downplayed Vishal’s and Anisha’s friendship. Her mind then supplied words that Vishal never actually said, that went along with the vibe.

Where Bali did lie, as the editors helpfully pointed out, was that she denied telling Anisha everything Amrit said about the follow up conversation.

I think that both Anisha and Vishal are both self proclaimed “let’s sweep everything unpleasant under the rug” types. However, Anisha misjudged the situation that she was close enough to Vishal that she would be included under his rug with him.

• Like 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, NYCFree said:

Vishal’s and Anisha’s friendship. Her mind then supplied words that Vishal never actually said, that went along with the vibe.

Vishal said that he was closer to Amrit but that he was very close to Anisha as well and cared about her, Bali did not convey that in anyway and argued that he said things he didn’t say. That to me felt very intentional particularly when she combined with how she related their interactions to her mother at the fire tower.

• Love 5
(edited)

Anisha, Vishal and Amrit (sp?) are locked in a friendship/lover power struggle. The prize? Vishal. Added factors: Does Vishal prefer women or men, is Anisha interested in Vishal romantically, and is Amrit attracted to Vishal? Irritation: Bali trying to ram her way into the dynamic.

Was there an actual fire tower at Fire Tower?

Loved seeing the clothes and the floor "paintings."

Love the relationship between the divorced dad and daughter.

This show makes me think about multi-generation families living together. I have friends back home who established family compounds - land is affordable as are multiple modest homes on the compound (and in one case, a nice trailer). When I was young my extended family lived very close together and had regular meals together, looked after each other's kids, and generally helped each other out. Although I left home after college, I always missed that.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 10

S01.E05: Frienemies for Life

After the fireworks of Diwali, Vishal hopes to repair his friendship with Anisha at Bali's Not-so-Friendsgiving. Meanwhile, you could cut the awkward tension with a carving knife as Brian puts Monica on blast for stringing him along. 

Airdate 04.05.2020

• Useful 1

Ok folks, let’s dial back the “is he closeted” speculation.  Some of us think so, others don’t, some don’t care but there are other things we can talk about it.  We’ve all been pretty civil so far, which is our number one rule, but it’s getting borderline in here.

[insert bad karma joke here]

• Love 2

I really, really love this show.  The only reality show I watch that makes me smile. Brian and his family are my favorites thus far but I really do like them all.  What a pleasure!

• Like 1
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, lasandi said:

I really, really love this show.  The only reality show I watch that makes me smile. Brian and his family are my favorites thus far but I really do like them all.  What a pleasure!

I actually like all of the families.  That is not usual for a reality show!  I am scared it will be canceled. 

• Love 6

I'm glad Anushka has a relationship with her dad. I was wondering what the deal was there.

And that was the most crowded nail salon I've ever seen. It looked like a restaurant.

I do think that Monica likes Brian, and I won't be surprised if they do get together in the end, but Brian has work to do, and I don't blame Monica for being apprehensive. He curved her previously, so I completely understand why she's like, nah. 

I can't stress enough how much I love Monica's dad. I like all of the parents, except Lopa, but Monica's dad is the sweetest. 

And whaaat, Anisha and her ex were together for 12 years?! What's going on there? Are they over over or taking time apart? 

I hope it gets a season 2! 

• Love 7

I like this show very much. So refreshing to see adults argue and not spit, yank hair or flip a table. Good looking crew, as well. Love all the parents, Monica, Brian, Richa and that cute kid, Anushka. Just need Bravo to add a 5 minute Bollywood dance lesson at the end of each show. Ya'll listening?

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
7 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Monica went on this trip as if it was a Real Housewives trip!

Hahaha, yess. I didn't even have such a big ass suitcase when I went on a Eurotrip last year for 2 weeks.

And I hope this isn't their cast trip. I get that it's season one, so Bravo isn't going to take them to the Maldives and shit, but damn, they couldn't get them out of Florida? They could've at least sprang for the Bahamas.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Sheenieb said:

And I hope this isn't their cast trip. I get that it's season one, so Bravo isn't going to take them to the Maldives and shit, but damn, they couldn't get them out of Florida? They could've at least sprang for the Bahamas.

Pretty sure the season is only 8 episodes so it will be the only trip.

On 4/6/2020 at 9:00 AM, lasandi said:

This is how I feel.  After watching this show after Vanderpump Rules, it’s like a breath of fresh air.  The entire cast is new to reality tv and they don’t seem to be tainted, thus far.  

• Love 9
On 4/6/2020 at 12:46 PM, Sheenieb said:

I'm glad Anushka has a relationship with her dad. I was wondering what the deal was there.

And that was the most crowded nail salon I've ever seen. It looked like a restaurant.

I do think that Monica likes Brian, and I won't be surprised if they do get together in the end, but Brian has work to do, and I don't blame Monica for being apprehensive. He curved her previously, so I completely understand why she's like, nah. 

I can't stress enough how much I love Monica's dad. I like all of the parents, except Lopa, but Monica's dad is the sweetest. 

And whaaat, Anisha and her ex were together for 12 years?! What's going on there? Are they over over or taking time apart? 

I hope it gets a season 2! 

I’ve been to the Venetian in Delray & it is the BEST mani/pedi!

On 4/7/2020 at 8:28 PM, Sheenieb said:

Hahaha, yess. I didn't even have such a big ass suitcase when I went on a Eurotrip last year for 2 weeks.

Or at least a trip to the gulf coast. LOL

Amrit and Vishal are both messy af. Amrit cannot help but insert himself into the drama when his bestie Vishal pulled Anisha aside at Friendsgiving to talk to her in private. Vishal lives for other people's drama. The way he watched the public argument fold with such relish while shoveling his dinner down and proclaim "I like it!" was gross to me.  

Also, Vishal continues to do himself no favors. This weeks gems included saying he's the daughter his mother never had (although Vishal has a sister) and revealing in Anisha's cell phone footage that he had his makeup done in the bridal suite for some wedding they attended. I see you, Bravo editors! 

• Love 4

S01.E06: Karma’s a Beach

It's off to Key West for a weekend of fun, sun... and no parental supervision. While alpha males Brian and Shaan butt heads, Monica tests Anisha's patience with her "good girl" image. Storm clouds gather when an innocent game takes a scandalous turn, causing Monica to draw a line in the sand.

Airdate 04.12.2020

Anisha and Bali worked my nerves tonight. While I'm sure the will they or won't they back and forth with Brian and Monica is annoying, blowing them up at the dinner was too too mucho. Monica was clearly uncomfortable, so leave it alone. I don't understand why Anisha cares if Monica and Brian get together. What they eat don't make you shit, sis.

"I left my home, my boyfriend, and my child to come here." Bali, you were gone for a weekend. Stop carrying on as if you were gone for weeks. You got a free vacation, you didn't get roped in to help someone move.

Maybe it just isn't translating well on TV, but I don't see the supposed relationship goals between Vishal and Richa. Richa seems as if she doesn't respect Vishal. She really went off on a motorcycle with some random? Also, I side eyed her when she said "I like hanging out with guys better. Women are all about feelings." Does she have any women friends?

Monica does not seem like a fun person to be around, though. I understand that she wants to come across well and not embarrass herself or her family. I get it, but damn, girl, it's not the Miss Holy competition. No need to be so serious all the time.

• Like 1
  • Love 9

I think Richa is her mother's daughter.  I think Lopa is only saying what Richa already thinks.  If Vishal was more masculine, I don't think he and Richa would work as a couple.  Vishal's effeminate ways is why Richa isn't rushing him down the aisle.  I don't think she's gay, she just has a lot of masculine energy (like her mother).  I wonder if Richa's father was like Vishal?

Monica is invested in being the Good Indian Girl and she knows Brian is a ho and the women he pals around with are hos (he tells her everything) so she does not want to be a ho by association.  Brian would have to be a Good Indian Boy for several years before Monica would even think of getting with him and I don't see that happening.

Anisha is feeling the pressure of either marrying to satisfy the community or being put in the Poor Spinster role because she's 34 and never married.  Anisha probably feels more comfortable with Bali (2x married) and Richa (doesn't seem to care if she's married or not) than with Monica (wants to be married to fulfill the Good Indian Girl role) and Shaan's cousin.

Amrit is always saying Anisha is jealous of this person or that, and that may be, but Amrit is also jealous of Anisha.

I need a show with just the moms.

• Like 1
  • Love 7
25 minutes ago, drivethroo said:

always saying Anisha is jealous of this person or that, and that may be, but Amrit is also jealous of Anisha.

Maybe Anisha shouldn’t come off like a bitter jealous asshole. He only accused her of being jealous of Monica (he suggested she might have a crush on Vishal) which she clearly is because Monica did not make the same life choices she did. Monica isn’t calling out Anisha on her life choices but Anisha is  criticizing her for literally everything including being a vegetarian and not drinking is insanely over the top. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6

More Aunties, please!  I find them far more entertaining.

Vishal is so repulsive.  How is he so convinced of his ‘hotness’ - does he not own a mirror?

I like Monica.  I’d initially had her pegged as the ‘good Indian girl’ but she’s got a bit of an edge and is not afraid to stand up for herself.  (She’s 27 - if she really is a ‘good Indian girl’ she would  be married with two kids by now)

I want to know more about Anisha taking a spite poo in her sister’s car - wtf was that about???

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

I like Monica.  I’d initially had her pegged as the ‘good Indian girl’ but she’s got a bit of an edge and is not afraid to stand up for herself.  (She’s 27 - if she really is a ‘good Indian girl’ she would  be married with two kids by now)

I like Monica too.  I like that she doesn't cave to the "SHOTS SHOTS" decree and just does her thing.  Of course, we are only seeing what the producers want us to see so far but it's not like she's preaching at the others not to drink or not to eat meat.  Anisha's anger seems quite misplaced. 

• Love 6

I find Vishal and Richa kind of fascinating to tell the truth, they may be perfect for each other. I do have slight side eye for women who self profess to not liking to spend time with other women, I feel like there is a touch of self loathing when that happens. But there I go, having “feelings” just like a woman and proving Richa’s point anyway.

Vishal certainly seemed focused on doing activities that involved taking off his clothes.

I think Anisha’s over anger at Monica stems directly from Monica and Anisha’s mother being close. Including having her mom dangle Monica in front of Anisha’s eyes as an example of a perfect Indian daughter. That would drive me utterly insane as well, so although Anisha is in the wrong in the situation, I totally understand it.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
8 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Monica isn’t calling out Anisha on her life choices but Anisha is  criticizing her for literally everything including being a vegetarian and not drinking is insanely over the top. 

Actually Monica & Shaan's cousin were criticizing Anisha's life choices by wondering why Anisha is not trying to get married right now and that Anisha's time was running short and she needs to freeze her eggs.  Monica may not have called Anisha out on her life choices to her face but Monica is definitely judging her.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

Vishal is so repulsive.  How is he so convinced of his ‘hotness’ - does he not own a mirror?

I want to know more about Anisha taking a spite poo in her sister’s car - wtf was that about???

He kind of looks like a Muppet.  I just don’t see them as a couple. Something is missing. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, drivethroo said:

Actually Monica & Shaan's cousin were criticizing Anisha's life choices by wondering why Anisha is not trying to get married right now and that Anisha's time was running short and she needs to freeze her eggs.  Monica may not have called Anisha out on her life choices to her face but Monica is definitely judging her.

I think Anisha's passive aggression at the dinner may have stemmed from the fact that she overheard Monica and Nehali discussing her as they were getting ready and she didn't like what she heard. Anisha is probably fed up about all this marriage and children discussion from the elders and aunties, but now that its infiltrated her friend group she's likely at her wits end.

7 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

I'm in agreement. This producers of this show made a miscalculation when they decided to make it about the younger generation. I would have preferred a Real Housewives of Miami situation featuring the aunties and their various dramas, which of course would include the children. Chitra Aunty and Dharma Aunty are a hoot, and Lopa Aunty and Reshma P's feud has enough fire to fuel the series.

Edited by Rahul
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, drivethroo said:

They were discussing her and her decisions and Monica had no problem talking about what they were saying to her face which is completely different than any part of Andsha’s behavior towards her about every single thing she does and the tone when she talks about her on her talking heads. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4

I'm going to call it - as much as I WANTED liked her in earlier episodes, over the last two episodes I can not stand Anisha. 

She has this perpetual stank face, and it's not your typical default face, it's like she's trying to be miserable or LOOK miserable, no matter the situation. I'm sick of her frown. In all the group scenes anytime the camera hits her face she's frowning like she smells something stank. I only see her naturally smiling when she's talking to Vishal, or shit talking to Bali. 

Maybe that's just her face - but her attitude seems to match. I was super interested in hearing about her fashion line and goals, but she actually seems to be perpetuating the storyline of the "old single one," even though she claims that she doesn't want that to be the focus. 

• Love 10
17 minutes ago, ciaoformeow said:

I'm going to call it - as much as I WANTED liked her in earlier episodes, over the last two episodes I can not stand Anisha. 

She has this perpetual stank face, and it's not your typical default face, it's like she's trying to be miserable or LOOK miserable, no matter the situation. I'm sick of her frown. In all the group scenes anytime the camera hits her face she's frowning like she smells something stank. I only see her naturally smiling when she's talking to Vishal, or shit talking to Bali. 

Maybe that's just her face - but her attitude seems to match. I was super interested in hearing about her fashion line and goals, but she actually seems to be perpetuating the storyline of the "old single one," even though she claims that she doesn't want that to be the focus. 

What did it for me was the number of times she referenced her "xenodochiophobia."  She's so proud of this!

Further research reveals that this is not a real phobia in the DSM sense.  It appears to be a portmanteau of sorts invented by the late Bernard Berenson.

https://www.nytimes.com/1989/01/15/travel/a-case-of-xenodochiophobia.html

Edited by GussieK
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, biakbiak said:

They were discussing her and her decisions and Monica had no problem talking about what they were saying to her face which is completely different than any part of Andsha’s behavior towards her about every single thing she does and the tone when she talks about her on her talking heads. 

And what they were talking about is them judging her for not being married and with child at the age of 34.

7 hours ago, GussieK said:

What did it for me was the number of times she referenced her "xenodochiophobia."  She's so proud of this!

Further research reveals that this is not a real phobia in the DSM sense.  It appears to be a portmanteau of sorts invented by the late Bernard Berenson.

How in the world did she live in New York City with this fear of dirt and germs?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I've been seeing him as a cartoon drawing that somehow jumped into real life. 

He reminds me of the character Mr Kohli ( Mr Collins) from the Bollywood like movie Bride and Prejudice.  

• Useful 2

I think that Vishal and Richa have a long-standing, chummy arrangement and understanding. Given the pressure to marry in their culture, and perhaps their own desires to have kids, they've decided a friendship vs. a romantic partnership is the way to go.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

He reminds me of the character Mr Kohli ( Mr Collins) from the Bollywood like movie Bride and Prejudice.  

Well, I decided to rent this and see. I thought I had already seen the movie, but I didn’t remember any of it. I don’t think Kholi looks the same as Vishal, but he’s a dead ringer for a Pakistani doctor I know from the U.K.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, GussieK said:

Well, I decided to rent this and see. I thought I had already seen the movie, but I didn’t remember any of it. I don’t think Kholi looks the same as Vishal, but he’s a dead ringer for a Pakistani doctor I know from the U.K.

Not so much looks, but he's dorky like Mr Kholi. Did you like the movie?  

• Love 1
On 4/13/2020 at 11:22 AM, ciaoformeow said:

Imma save my fingers from re typing the same thing and just BIG FAT DITTO to your entire post! Anisha is a bitch. And what the hell is up with that hair??? That’s part waaay over to one side is just whack ado...

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

Not so much looks, but he's dorky like Mr Kholi. Did you like the movie?  

So so.  It’s no Colin Firth version, but I liked the Bollywood dancing.  Some plot point departures from the book were a bit jarring.  But a pleasant way to spend a quarantine afternoon  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, gingerella said:

Anisha is a bitch. And what the hell is up with that hair??? That’s part waaay over to one side is just whack ado...

Is she trying to cover that weird hairline? It's not working. It's like she has 2 globs of extra hair on each side of her forhead. Laser removal treatment will take care of that easily. Just ask the Kardashians. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Still liking the show, but Bali makes it more and more like RHNJ....Yuk. I'll give it another episode before making a final decision but I just don't want another piece of lowlife crap....Bali brings nothing but innuendo, deliberate misdirection and confusion...no thanks.

• Love 1

Finally got caught up with this show and I love it. So much better than most of the reality dreck out there.

Contrary to the prevailing sentiment here, I LOVE Anisha. That girl has no filter and I am living for it. Brian and Monica ain't fooling anyone, so homegirl is just calling a spade a spade. And seriously, Anisha's comment during the game at dinner was completely fine, especially since Brian called Richa out about riding off with the biker. How was what Anisha said any different? Brian and Monica both said other people were around when she went into his room and it's not like they were hiding it, though it sounds like Brian tried to twist the facts by claiming that he was under the covers. As Bali said, then how did she know what color underwear he was wearing? Plus, if Monica hadn't made a big deal about it, the group would have continued the game and moved on to other topics.

Anyhoo, I actually really like everyone, except for Lopa and looks like she may redeem herself next episode - but maybe not. Particular favorites are Raj (Monica's father), Anisha and yes, Vishal. I think he's a hoot, and I'm not hating those abs. 😉

• Love 4
On 3/10/2020 at 4:58 PM, biakbiak said:

Yeah that’s her. She said she left Miami because people were shunning her because she was divorced and they didn’t trust her around their husbands but I imagine it was more likely it’s because she is a horrible human being who no one wants to be around.

she's so disrespectful and gives off bad energy.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

am living for it. Brian and Monica ain't fooling anyone, so homegirl is just calling a spade a spade. An

But they aren’t denying that they are flirty and are close friends they have just decided at various times despite their dynamic that dating would be a bad idea so there is literally nothing to call them out on. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

But they aren’t denying that they are flirty and are close friends they have just decided at various times despite their dynamic that dating would be a bad idea so there is literally nothing to call them out on. 

1 hour ago, latincoffee said:

Anisha acts like an older lady. She seems like she wants to be in charge. These folks are so nosey and she's definitely one of them. 

I understand why some people are put off by Anisha, but she said a couple of things in her confessionals that I think are very telling about where she is coming from. First, she mentioned that Monica is the perfect Indian good girl and that "America will love her", and later, when responding to a question from a producer about why Monica's behavior bothers her, she said that Monica represents everything that she (Anisha) has fought against her whole life.

Anisha is rather Westernized and I believe that she finds Monica's Good Indian Girl persona either slightly offensive or a bunch of bull. And I think Bali and possibly Richa are right there with her. I think they feel that Monica wants to have her cake and eat it too.

I'm not saying who's right and who's wrong, I just find it all very interesting, and I do like all of them. But if I'm out having a good time and choosing my place at the table, I'm sitting next to Anisha. 

Edited by Gothish520
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
14 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I'm not saying who's right and who's wrong, I just find it all very interesting, and I do like all of them. But if I'm out having a good time and choosing my place at the table, I'm sitting next to Anisha.

I'll sit on Anisha's other side.  I enjoy her very much.  I enjoy any reality show person who brings 100% to the show.  It's like she saw a list of the cast and said 'what a boring lot', this show needs a bitter 30something with resting bitch face, a product to plug and a chip on her shoulder.  Concerning her relationship with Monica, it reminds me a quote from a letter from Jane Austen to her sister Cassandra "Pictures of perfection, as you know, make me sick and wicked."

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

S01.E07: I Kinda Don't Like You

With his engagement eminent, Vishal prepares for the return of his mother-in-law Lopa, who badmouthed his family at the Gala. Meanwhile, Amrit throws a launch party for his new firm, but what starts as a professional event, turns into a circus when Monica, Anisha and Bali have it out in front of everyone.

Airdate 04.19.2020