Type keyword(s) to search

Family Karma - General Discussion

TexasGal
  • Start Topic

Amrit hasn't been coming across well these past two episodes. First with the Monica/Rishi cheating rumor, now telling Richa about Vishal's drinking. It's one thing if he told Richa because he was concerned about Vishal being in his cups, but Amrit just wanted to be messy.

If he's going to play the messy role, that's fine, but don't pout when the drama unfolds. 

This season has been boring so far. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

Amrit hasn't been coming across well these past two episodes. First with the Monica/Rishi cheating rumor, now telling Richa about Vishal's drinking. It's one thing if he told Richa because he was concerned about Vishal being in his cups, but Amrit just wanted to be messy.

If he's going to play the messy role, that's fine, but don't pout when the drama unfolds. 

This season has been boring so far. 

Yeah, he's being a total bitch. The way he behaved when Vishal arrived was so ridiculous. Didn't Nicholas tell him he was being stupid? That bachelor party bit at the club would have been disasterous for Vishal!

Glad Vishal is seeking help. And kudos to Richa for finally sharing her health concerns for him and not drinking to support him was really kind.

Monica, Monica, Monica. Rishi is not the man for you. Didn't realize it was his brother's girlfriend who spilled the beans!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 9

People who have  these two and three day destination bachelor parties are a pain in the ass. Even if it’s only an hour away a person who works full time does not want to spend their entire time off at these stupid shin digs. It sounds like Vishal had similar parties so I do see why Amrit would expect Vishal at his but if the man says he’s going through something, give him a break.  He showed up on day 2 with the penis float and his naggy wife so be happy for that.
The whole drinking thing with Vishal and Richa still baffles me. Why did she go through with the large wedding if his drinking was such a problem? I think she is punishing him for the wedding vs really caring about his health. He’s admitting to a problem now because she brow beat him into it. If he doesn’t really want to change for himself, it won’t work. Her nasty mom flipping off the other aunties won’t change that either. 

Edited by Chatty Cake
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Why does it bother you so much? Not that I've ever had one but I've never given other people doing it a second thought.

I don’t care if people want to do that but when they expect friends and family members to attend this crap is where up I take issue. I’ve been invited to a few of them and declined. 
Amrit and Nicholaus looked kind of old for that style bachelor party anyway. What are they 45? It seemed more suitable to. Vishal who is a goofball.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I don't have an issue with the bachelor party especially since this is when all is said and done a reality show that is being filmed and so amp up the spectacle. 

I am sure many of the Chicago people showed up because it would be a fun weekend and also because it would be an interesting experience to see how a reality show is filmed.

I do have issues with the Amrit's *resentment* over Vishal not showing up for the strip club bacchanal. Amrit must know that Vishal has problems with alcohol even without the knowledge of Crohn's disease. ETA Although Amrit knew about Crohn's, as I recall he was not aware that drinking exacerbated the condition and often left Vishal extremely ill - much more "hungover" than someone who did not have the disease would be and I would also assume that drinking and suffering the effects from that would potentially cause more serious effects including having to eventually have a colostomy bag. 

As I stated after the first episodes Vishal's drinking problem was quite obvious because if you don't have a drinking problem you are able to refrain from drinking AND - most importantly - you don't feel as if you need to have a drink in order to have people like you.

Why Richa chose to have a large wedding when there were real issues of Vishal drinking - both from a mental point of view (alcoholism) and from a real physical health point of view (Crohn's) who knows? Maybe the invitations went out and it was like a steam roller that couldn't be stopped especially since it was scheduled for shooting and it would have been a huge big deal if the party had been cancelled. 

I also think that Vishal's behavior at the wedding was so beyond any kind of being slightly inebriated that it might have been the proverbial last straw.

But why anyone would be that angry if a friend didn't show up to attend a "strip club" bachelor party with what - 40 other people there. Many of those are from out of town who he doesn't see that often. If a friend calls and says they can't be at your party because they are going through a difficult time - here essentially Vishal was saying that Richa was threatening to leave him, I wouldn't make it hard for the friend - I would just say I am so sorry that you are having problems. I wish I didn't have this party because otherwise I would come over to be with you.

Edited by amarante
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6

Amrit knows that Vishal has Chron's. They showed an old picture of Vishal in a wheelchair with Amrit at his side. However, Amrit likely doesn't know the effects of alcohol on someone with the disease. But he should have been more sympathetic to his bestie. 

He's definitely less likable this season. More manipulation for plot lines rather than letting things happen organically. Of course, production could have something to do with this. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

The sad thing is that even though Amrit was acting like a big baby, Vishal would have had the best time of anyone at that strip club. It’s sad that Richa treats him so shabbily. When he was making her dinner she wasn’t even appreciative. She’s a sour faced unhappy nagging shrew. She’s turning into her mean old mama.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Chatty Cake said:

The sad thing is that even though Amrit was acting like a big baby, Vishal would have had the best time of anyone at that strip club. It’s sad that Richa treats him so shabbily. When he was making her dinner she wasn’t even appreciative. She’s a sour faced unhappy nagging shrew. She’s turning into her mean old mama.

He wouldn't have had a great time at the strip club - at least in my opinion. 

He would be in an atmosphere where everyone was wildly intoxicated. 

I am not a big drinker and there is nothing less fun than being in a crowd of people who are super drunk. I can only imagine how terrible it would be if you actively wanted to be pissed drunk along with them.

If he did drink, he would feel guilty for a variety of reasons including anger at himself for feeling whatever bad feelings he has about himself which cause him to feel that he must drink

I don't get the Richa dislike at all. I am just surprised that she hung around for 10 years waiting to get married to someone who isn't exactly a prize. She is getting past the age when it would be easy for her to find another significant other - assuming that she would also like to have a children or two. She is already at the point where fertility might be difficult.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I view the relationship between Richa and Vishal as best friends. Without benefits. I've assumed all along that they want children, so marriage is the solution.

I was thinking that Amrit had his act together, but he has proven himself to be an immature baby. And Nicholas reminds me of the guy who married Reza on Shahs of Sunset. Whiny and hovering and always just there in the frame, waiting for his moment. Ugh.

"You are my person." Do best friends say that to each other?

I hope Vishal gets sober and healthy. If not he is facing true misery and pain from alcohol-aggravated Chron's. He's quite likable and charismatic when he's sober.

They need to get rid of the brothers and their foul-mouthed mother.

I suspect Anisha will come dragging home to her parents after a failed romance in a strange place. (Happens to a lot of us.) Maybe she made the impulsive leap to AZ in order to avoid what felt to her like a smothering and occasionally hostile community. However, I wonder at her decision to be less involved in the show. She seems to enjoy it.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

And Nicholas reminds me of the guy who married Reza on Shahs of Sunset. Whiny and hovering and always just there in the frame, waiting for his moment. Ugh.

Yes!  And they both want babies!

I suspect Anisha will come dragging home to her parents after a failed romance in a strange place.

I hope not, I'm pulling for her.  I admire that she opted to live her life, not play act for a Bravo reality show.

Brian and his mom?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

I view the relationship between Richa and Vishal as best friends. Without benefits. I've assumed all along that they want children, so marriage is the solution.

I was thinking that Amrit had his act together, but he has proven himself to be an immature baby. And Nicholas reminds me of the guy who married Reza on Shahs of Sunset. Whiny and hovering and always just there in the frame, waiting for his moment. Ugh.

"You are my person." Do best friends say that to each other?

I hope Vishal gets sober and healthy. If not he is facing true misery and pain from alcohol-aggravated Chron's. He's quite likable and charismatic when he's sober.

I suspect Anisha will come dragging home to her parents after a failed romance in a strange place. (Happens to a lot of us.) Maybe she made the impulsive leap to AZ in order to avoid what felt to her like a smothering and occasionally hostile community. However, I wonder at her decision to be less involved in the show. She seems to enjoy it.

Perfect description of Nicholas. I find him soooo unappealing! Cristina and Meredith on Grey's were each other's person.

With all the unusually close and long lasting parenting portrayed in this show, why wouldn’t Vishal’s relatives have addressed his heavy drinking much earlier in his life, since it adversely affects Crohn’s Disease?  Story line?  

And why would Richa, a pretty attorney, spend 10 years courting the immature, insecure, unsexy, works for mommy Vishal? They’re very unevenly matched, imo, and I don’t blame her for her constant irritation with him.  Just wonder what kept her in thrall for a decade.  Surely there were other men interested in her?

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
On 12/13/2022 at 5:07 PM, Chatty Cake said:

Richa treats him so shabbily. When he was making her dinner she wasn’t even appreciative. She’s a sour faced unhappy nagging shrew. She’s turning into her mean old mama.

I'm surprised Vishal's mom likes Richa so much. She was singing her praises to Vishal about her when they were talking. If a woman treated my son like that I'm not sure I would be liking her at all. 

Monica is an idiot. If Richi's brothers girlfriend is the one spilling the beans then I believe it. What other reason would she have for doing it? Monica knows it's true. She is trying to save face in front of family and friends. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
21 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Monica expected Rish's family to be sympathetic to HER? Sorry, hon, but you are not blood. Even if Rish is a cheating asshole, he's THEIR cheating asshole. They will always support him. 

Exactly! they pretty much indicated to her in so many words: 

Hey, get over it. Shit happens. Men cheat. Marriage is hard, there's always something you will have to deal with. This is why she was pissed. 

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Exactly! they pretty much indicated to her in so many words: 

Hey, get over it. Shit happens. Men cheat. Marriage is hard, there's always something you will have to deal with. This is why she was pissed. 

Run, Monica, run. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Right, it wasn't shown.  Someone asked Vishal if he drank (someone other than Richa), he said no.

They did show him agreeing with Monica to order non-alcoholic drinks, and asking a waiter if the drink he was being given had alcohol - so the editors want us to think he didn't drink.  Whether he did or didn't, who knows. 

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

They did show him agreeing with Monica to order non-alcoholic drinks, and asking a waiter if the drink he was being given had alcohol - so the editors want us to think he didn't drink.  Whether he did or didn't, who knows. 

True. If he knew the cameras were on him, he would do appropriately sober things. What he did the rest of the time is anyone's best guess.

Edited by Salacious Kitty
Cameras aren't in him. This isn't a colonoscopy.
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

I’m glad the bachelor party is over. 
I guess they are going to drag out the marriage license signing all season. Will she or won’t she. Now he’s buying a house and she doesn’t know if she wants her name on the house. Vishal should have told her to take her sulky ass resting bitch face mama and get the hell out of his parents home. 
Monica needs a nice guy who can’t believe his luck that he landed her. This guy seems like a player. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
On 12/19/2022 at 1:57 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

Monica expected Rish's family to be sympathetic to HER? Sorry, hon, but you are not blood. Even if Rish is a cheating asshole, he's THEIR cheating asshole. They will always support him. 

I'm not sure if she expected them to be sympathetic to her, but to acknowledge the "lies" that were spread about her relationship. The reaction is what's murky to me. Either they aren't addressing it out of loyalty to Rishi, or because Nirja isn't on the show, they can't call her out explicitly. 

Given Rishi's wishy-washy behavior and lying to her about when he heard the cheating rumors, I believe he was creeping. Also, his brother isn't shit either for dropping Rishi over to his (Rishi's) sidepiece's house. 

Monica is falling into the trap that a lot of women before and after her will land in. Applying the sunk-cost fallacy to her relationship, as well as having a scarcity mindset. I'm sure she feels like she did everything right and commitment still eluded her. Even if Rishi didn't cheat, they're still in different places in their lives. 

I would be surprised if Richa and Vishal make it 5 years. They're unequally yoked. Vishal reminds me of my sister's ex-boyfriend. He was a fun guy, but he didn't know when to turn it off, so it was hard to take him seriously as a partner. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 4

Monica needs to RUN. I felt so sad for her when she was describing Rish's mom as "like a second mom" especially since I know she has issues with her own mom. She is Not your second mom. In the end, she's Rish's mom, she will always take his side, that's her kid, not you. And, cheating or not (he's definitely cheating) Rish is never going to marry her. It's hard watching her be so dumb. She's never really comfortable with him too. Always trying to be sweet because she's afraid he'll dump her. Aaah!

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

I gave up alcohol at the beginning of the year. Didn’t mean to do it permanently, but had seen so many positive health benefits (sleep, anxiety, weight) that it was a no brainer for me to keep going. That said, I is really strange to the be the only sober one amongst a group. I appreciated that Richa joined him in mock tails at the party, and then Monica joining him at dinner. It’s hard to be alone.

That said, my concern around this situation is that his being alcohol free is being dictated by Richa, not by his own choice. This is never going to work if it’s not something that he really believes in. There will be plenty of temptations, situations like the waxing with his best friend suggesting it. He will question why one drink wouldn’t hurt, and if he doesn’t have a response to that, it’s going to be tough to last.

• Like 4
  • Love 4
On 12/19/2022 at 5:16 AM, Oneofem said:

And why would Richa, a pretty attorney, spend 10 years courting the immature, insecure, unsexy, works for mommy Vishal? They’re very unevenly matched, imo, and I don’t blame her for her constant irritation with him.  Just wonder what kept her in thrall for a decade.  Surely there were other men interested in her?

I wonder if some guys had been scared off by her awful mother 😱 

• Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3

I love Lopa. I know that it’s an unpopular opinion but you know what you’re getting with her. She’s no BS & tells it like it is. I can’t stand Reshma, Vishal’s mother. I think she’s completely full of shit & tries to hide behind some spiritual, yoga platitudes but she’s completely untrustworthy and full of it. Also, the way she eats grosses me out.

I really think Lopa, though rough around the edges, just sees things how they really are.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

This season is fine but it has not nearly enough of the parents and especially Anisha's grandpa. Dominos and Spicy Chicken Sandwiches and Vodka all day. Like last season was the best because it was all parent drama and they are way more entertaining. Of the younger set i do like Brian and Bali and Anisha but they give the bulk of storylines to Amrit and Vishal. Meh.

Rishi is a TERRIBLE liar and why is everyone pretending he wouldn't do it, the man looks like hot guilt on a stick in all his TH's. He practically sweats and gulps his way through every weak ass denial of lying and cheating.

• Like 7
On 12/4/2022 at 7:35 PM, heatherchandler said:

Who says they will cut off the dick off their daughter’s boyfriend?  I’ve been cheated on by a boyfriend, and my dad did not mutilate the dude.  I don’t think I even told him because why does my dad need to know any of that?

Not just cut his dick off - but cut his dick off and then hand it to Monica!

What in the gruesome, "Lord of the Flies" nonsense is this...?

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

Shout out to Amrit's mom for leaving the Auntie coven. She didn't just sit there while they talked junk about her friend. I think being on TV is going to Brian's mom's head. 

Anisha and Bali have A LOT of nerve. How dare you give advice when you're almost 50 living with your parents. Why hasn't Bali's boyfriend married her yet?  Something weird about their relationship. Anisha is a gaslighting asshat. I don't love Monica, I find her bland, but Anisha and Bali's jealousy of her made me an immediate fan.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Welcome to Miami, where the rats are bigger than the condos - or so it seemed tonight.  Bali’s parents’ “house” and Amrit and fiancé’s new digs felt claustrophobic thru my screen.  This is how the Indian upper crust live in Florida?  Garage - oops - estate sales?   But the food is always good, at least.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, DrSparkles said:

I will always believe that Vishal is gay, hence his anger as a child & drinking & other issues as an adult. Amrit knows but finally gave up on his friend living his true life. So sad.

I can't say I haven't had the same thoughts occasionally cross my mind. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I can't say I haven't had the same thoughts occasionally cross my mind. 

This has been mentioned by commenters since season 1.  Who knows.  I always feel bad about speculating on such things, but it fits the story.  Ten years with Risha and no marriage.  They always seemed to not even like each other. 

• Like 5

I was so triggered by seeing that rat, that I couldn't concentrate on the rest of the party. I kept looking for it.  I was afraid it would run in the door. I was afraid it jump on someone.

Also not a fan at all of that staircase.  How do you move in furniture?  And their poor doggy. How can he do those stairs?

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

I also was irritated by Bail and Anishas going in on Monica and questioning Risha about when he’s going to propose. Bali passing judgment is comical since she would rather stay with mommy and daddy vs moving to another city with her boyfriend. It’s also kind of telling that O’Malley is cool with the situation.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

They are trying to turn the mothers into snarling Real Housewives. Too bad, because the parents were once the best part of this series.

Meanwhile, all of the younger folks need to grow up and cut the proverbial apron strings. (And parental credit cards) I suspect Brian's parents are paying the rent in the new place (unless it's a production set).

I laughed at Anisha's mother, shutting down her daughter's endless whining. Anisha was building up a good head of Poor Me steam and her mother smoothly told her to knock it off.

Why would anyone put a non-spouse on the title to a home? I'd like to know what kind of title Richa signed. Also, will she be contributing to the mortgage payments? If not, this continues to seem like the establishment of a old-fashioned "mom and kids keep the house after a divorce," only the two are supposedly not married yet. When will the editors show them as married?

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 4

The house thing makes no sense to me. Who the hell puts someone else on the deed without them contributing a penny unless they are married ? She can now claim half the house even if they never actually get married, live together, or she never pays a penny toward its upkeep or cost.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Chatty Cake said:

I also was irritated by Bail and Anishas going in on Monica and questioning Risha about when he’s going to propose. Bali passing judgment is comical since she would rather stay with mommy and daddy vs moving to another city with her boyfriend. It’s also kind of telling that O’Malley is cool with the situation.

I wonder if Bali is staying at her parents’ house so she can still participate in the show and get that $

• Like 9
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

The house thing makes no sense to me. Who the hell puts someone else on the deed without them contributing a penny unless they are married ? She can now claim half the house even if they never actually get married, live together, or she never pays a penny toward its upkeep or cost.

I agree completely.  I could not believe she even agreed to have her name on the deed after not contributing a penny to the down payment!  Richa should be ashamed of herself.  She is very much like her mother.  Hanging the legal marriage over Vishal‘s head is not the way to go.  There obviously are reasons they had multiple previous engagements.  Vishal is also crazy to have agreed to putting her name on the deed.  The whole thing disgusted me.  

• Like 3