Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: Daisy

• Start Topic

Delilah and Sophie come together during a family emergency; Rome and Regina learn that their potential birth mother could be in danger; and Maggie and Gary face a harsh reality when they attend a mutual friend’s cancer remission party.

Airing Thursday, February 13, 2020.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, break21 said:

Ron Livingston is in the credits for tonight show.  Praying for a Jon flash-back.

OMG really? I wont go to bed. lol. Where did you see that? IMDB didnt' have it.

I knew they'd have some trauma to bring Sophie to Delilah, I was thinking a car accident but another is a bit lame. Her dad wandering off is safer issue.

Now what is going on with Jon's family? Is he an orphan? Maybe her dad at least remembers him in a memory.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1

Wow!  These people sure get a lot done before high school starts.  My kids can barely make the bus, never mind going across town to go to work before school.  And what time was Delilah visiting her dad?  5am?   She managed to do that and make it to the restaurant before Sophie needed to be to school?  And all in Boston morning traffic? 

And does Gary have a job?   Weekday and 3 men are all not working? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
Just now, ams1001 said:

I get that she was trying to coax Theo to talk, but I feel like Katherine unloading her work issues in front of her kid is not going to help his anxieties about the changes in his life.

I mean really! Talking about all the crappy shit going on in their lives in front of Theo is part of the problem.  And why don’t any of Theo’s facial expression match his words. 

First impression, birth mommy is scamming them, or she’s as irritating as they are. Maybe Gary is the baby daddy? Or Eddie? Or JON!! Got to be someone in their circle or around it. 

Why doesn’t Delilahs dad have an accent? Is Delilah supposed to have an accent?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, iwasish said:

I mean really! Talking about all the crappy shit going on in their lives in front of Theo is part of the problem.  And why don’t any of Theo’s facial expression match his words. 

First impression, birth mommy is scamming them, or she’s as irritating as they are. Maybe Gary is the baby daddy? Or Eddie? Or JON!! Got to be someone in their circle or around it. 

I thought of that since I just saw Private Lives on Netflix, a great movie on infertility and the trauma this couple endured with failed procedures and scams.

Yea, I think that psych thing was a bit much, Theo would have talked with her alone. I was waiting for her to bring up sexual harassment at work next. ; )

That part with her dad saying those thing, please, the writing is horrible. He wouldn't have done that, Jon wasn't there alone, she didn't reach out to him. Maybe he didn't know of her long term affair with his best friend.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, debraran said:

Yea, I think that psych thing was a bit much, Theo would have talked with her alone. I was waiting for her to bring up sexual harassment at work next. ; )

I also thought the response to his "yeah, I'm not doing that" should have just been, "yes, you are" and let the therapist do her job. I'm sure he wouldn't be the first kid she's dealt with who was brought to her against their will.

• Love 10
14 minutes ago, debraran said:

I thought of that since I just saw Private Lives on Netflix, a great movie on infertility and the trauma this couple endured with failed procedures and scams.

That part with her dad saying those thing, please, the writing is horrible. He wouldn't have done that, Jon wasn't there alone, she didn't reach out to him. Maybe he didn't know of her long term affair with his best friend.

Cheap way to manufacture an understanding between mom and Sophie. Does the grandfather know of Charlie’s true parentage? If you really want to reconcile issues in your marriage, getting knocked up by your husbands friend isn’t the way to go. 

Note to self: 

Scrap “beating the piñata” as a symbolic gesture at any future functions. 

Edited by iwasish
  • Love 8
51 minutes ago, debraran said:

OMG really? I wont go to bed. lol. Where did you see that? IMDB didnt' have it.

I knew they'd have some trauma to bring Sophie to Delilah, I was thinking a car accident but another is a bit lame. Her dad wandering off is safer issue.

Now what is going on with Jon's family? Is he an orphan? Maybe her dad at least remembers him in a memory.

Sorry - site I  use said Ron Livingston was going to be in this episode - no Jon to this point.  Blah.

3 minutes ago, break21 said:

Sorry - site I  use said Ron Livingston was going to be in this episode - no Jon to this point.  Blah.

Few more minutes but maybe he'll wait until they need a boost toward the end of the season.

I thought the dad might reminisce and see him but instead they had this stupid conversation to make Sophie suddenly softer. Please. Jon was depressed and no one reached out to him or made him feel wanted. Delilah took up with Eddie for most of his "planning" so I don't think she wanted to be with him. Nash keeps trying but I think he should give up the rehab with Delilah and let time do it if possible.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, break21 said:

Do they have to credit him if they mention the character's name?

Is this the slowest elevator ever?

51 minutes ago, iwasish said:

I think her mom was French?

35 minutes ago, iwasish said:

Scrap “beating the piñata” as a symbolic gesture at any future functions. 

My friend's daughter had a Paw Patrol character (puppy) piñata at her 5th birthday. Her nephew (9 at the time) was the biggest kid (he went last) who took a whack at it. Took the body clean off, so the head was hanging from the tree. Later the birthday girl was running around holding the head. So I suggest animal-shaped piñatas for preschooler birthday parties are also something to cross off the list.

(It was hysterical but a small part of me was slightly traumatized. 🤪)

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Well...Sophie forgiving Delilah was my worst fear. She had every right to be mad for a while and they had to use Delilah's own father to get Sophie to basically forgive her mother. I get that there were issues with Jon/Delilah that weren't JUST on Delilah....but we never really saw it, and also Delilah is the worst.  

And Delilah didn't have to do a thing to get Sophie to talk to her again, which is blah. It always happens with Delilah as well; she doesn't have to put any effort into people falling at her feet. 

So, Theo goes to therapy...with Katherine! Katherine's so great. I loved their family fight. Look at how far we've come with Eddie/Katherine. A bit ridiculous, yes, and in reality, I'd never root for Katherine to still be with Eddie...but for TV show reasons, and to keep Katherine on the show, I'm all for Katherine/Eddie. They continue to be great.

The Gary/Maggie stuff? Meh, who cares? I was a bit touched by their friend in remission, but Gary/Maggie in general? They're WAY too preachy. 

No surprise that Regina/Rome are actually going for a newborn. I was REALLY hoping for an older kid. 

• Love 17
36 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well...Sophie forgiving Delilah was my worst fear. She had every right to be mad for a while and they had to use Delilah's own father to get Sophie to basically forgive her mother. I get that there were issues with Jon/Delilah that weren't JUST on Delilah....but we never really saw it, and also Delilah is the worst.  

And Delilah didn't have to do a thing to get Sophie to talk to her again, which is blah. It always happens with Delilah as well; she doesn't have to put any effort into people falling at her feet. 

So, Theo goes to therapy...with Katherine! Katherine's so great. I loved their family fight. Look at how far we've come with Eddie/Katherine. A bit ridiculous, yes, and in reality, I'd never root for Katherine to still be with Eddie...but for TV show reasons, and to keep Katherine on the show, I'm all for Katherine/Eddie. They continue to be great.

The Gary/Maggie stuff? Meh, who cares? I was a bit touched by their friend in remission, but Gary/Maggie in general? They're WAY too preachy. 

No surprise that Regina/Rome are actually going for a newborn. I was REALLY hoping for an older kid. 

But in real life would they even get a shot at a soon to be born black infant that quickly? It been a couple days.  And getting involved with a birth mom with a crazy ex baby daddy?  I just find Rome annoying. I get the sense that he’s grasping at things to keep himself from falling back into depression. If his movie career takes off as it seems they are planning to have happen, who is going to get stuck taking care of a newborn? Regina? What about her restaurant? Delilah is busy with Charlie, she isn’t going to step up. 
And Danny is 12? Delilah dumped Charlie on  him for a whole day? Why not call Eddie to take her? Danny doesn’t have a lot of experience with a baby. 

• Love 5

That car scene between Sophie and her grandpa was so cringy and contrived, it was just straight up painful to listen to. It was so obviously only written to get Sophia to join everyone else in their kool-aid drinking and totally forgive Delilah, and to remind the audience that we are supposed to like Delilah SO MUCH and that her affair was TOTALLY UNDERSTANDABLE and that Jon was TOTALLY at fault too and that her cheating on her husband with their also married best friend and almost leaving Jon for him was TOTALLY GREAT because that makes her happy and thats the only thing that matters, that Delilah follows her bliss, so matter how much of a mess she leaves in her wake! Yeah its her dad and he presumably has no idea about the affair (either when he is all there or when he isnt) but its so transparently here just so that Sophie will forgive her mom because, again, Delilah is really the victim in all this. 

Because, as we all know, its totally cool to cheat on your spouse with their married best friend if they were distracted and you were having problems in your marriage! You have to do what makes you happy!! See, this is why I get more annoyed with Delilah than I do with Eddie, the narrative doesent bed over backwards to justify what Eddie did, while it seems to be convinced that Delilah was way more sympathetic than I think she actually is. 

• Love 18
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

That car scene between Sophie and her grandpa was so cringy and contrived, it was just straight up painful to listen to. It was so obviously only written to get Sophia to join everyone else in their kool-aid drinking and totally forgive Delilah, and to remind the audience that we are supposed to like Delilah SO MUCH and that her affair was TOTALLY UNDERSTANDABLE and that Jon was TOTALLY at fault too and that her cheating on her husband with their also married best friend and almost leaving Jon for him was TOTALLY GREAT because that makes her happy and thats the only thing that matters, that Delilah follows her bliss, so matter how much of a mess she leaves in her wake! Yeah its her dad and he presumably has no idea about the affair (either when he is all there or when he isnt) but its so transparently here just so that Sophie will forgive her mom because, again, Delilah is really the victim in all this. 

Because, as we all know, its totally cool to cheat on your spouse with their married best friend if they were distracted and you were having problems in your marriage! You have to do what makes you happy!! See, this is why I get more annoyed with Delilah than I do with Eddie, the narrative doesent bed over backwards to justify what Eddie did, while it seems to be convinced that Delilah was way more sympathetic than I think she actually is. 

I did cringe. Sure Jon as shown wasn't perfect but he wasn't a mean person. He was supposedly withdrawing from her but seemed to fine with his friends, doing things with them, socializing on Friday's, vacations, etc. He was involved with his kids sports events and things like that. Usually depressed people have trouble being as busy as Jon was but maybe he felt he had a mission. What her dad didn't know was the only time D wanted to talk was when she decided to leave (that we were privy too) She picks the one guy that would cut the deepest, she gets pregnant and if he lived, would not get the sympathy she is getting now. I realize people make mistakes but neither of them cared about their kids or spouses feelings when they wanted to sleep together. You shouldn't base life choices on just that. I just can't see Jon being cruel and if his wife reached out and said I'm in pain, he would ignore it. I think she enjoyed Eddie's attention and the passion and really didn't care.

I am "meh" with the baby adoption, it wont be shown realistically and why a baby? I also am tired of the stereotypes with black teens and women. Can't the mom just be a mom who got pregnant unexpectedly without a mean black boyfriend who is hunting her down? Please, give me a break. 

• Love 14
12 hours ago, iwasish said:

I think, from the soldier story, it's her mother that is French.

I could swear her dad was played by Gerald McCraney in the Pizza Friday episode.  Am I misremembering?

I was quite relieved that the elevator scene turned out to be a fantasy. Alas,  I'm sure it's only a matter of time until it happens. 

Edited by gonzosgirrl
typo
  • Love 6

I loved how Katherine told Theo that going to the therapist was just talking about stuff and that everyone has stuff to talk about.

Rome annoyed me every time he asked Regina questions while she was on the phone. SO RUDE. Just wait until she's done instead of asking, "What did she say?" every five seconds.

And then the gall to ask her if she was looking for a way out of the adoption. Regina has a legitimate concern that the adoption could fall through if the birth father comes forward. No one wants to go through that kind of heartbreaking situation. From an ethical standpoint, do you really want to adopt a child that the birth father doesn't even know about? What will happen if he finds out about the adoption a year from now or five years from now? Do you want to put yourself and that child through a legal fight/custody battle?

Heh, I thought Elena's pinata was going to be a poop emoji.

I always find food fights on tv unrealistic but maybe that's because I know I'd have to clean it up since I don't have a maid. Totally not worth it!

7 hours ago, iwasish said:

And Danny is 12? Delilah dumped Charlie on  him for a whole day? Why not call Eddie to take her? Danny doesn’t have a lot of experience with a baby.

I'm nine years older than my sister and I babysit her all the time, sometimes all day. We both came out unscathed!

• Love 5

I am cynical, and more than a little pissed off about the storyline, but Regina going from no children, period, end of story,  to ZOMG! DA BAAAAYBEEEEEE!!!1!!!!11!! just makes me roll my eyes. I can't invest in the story, all. And Rome is becoming as insufferable as Delilah.

I'm surprised Delilah's French mother didn't opt for Marguerite for a middle name (the French word for daisy).

• Love 13
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I could swear her dad was played by Gersld McCraney in the Pizza Friday episode.  Am I misremembering?

You are not. Google tells me they recast the role because McRaney had a scheduling conflict.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Thank you! Is it bad that I'm kinda happy since I can't stand Delilah and I ❤️ Gerald McRaney?

Ha! He's too good for her!

(Apparently New!Dad is from CSI which I don't really watch.)

6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I loved how Katherine told Theo that going to the therapist was just talking about stuff and that everyone has stuff to talk about.

Rome annoyed me every time he asked Regina questions while she was on the phone. SO RUDE. Just wait until she's done instead of asking, "What did she say?" every five seconds.

And then the gall to ask her if she was looking for a way out of the adoption. Regina has a legitimate concern that the adoption could fall through if the birth father comes forward. No one wants to go through that kind of heartbreaking situation. From an ethical standpoint, do you really want to adopt a child that the birth father doesn't even know about? What will happen if he finds out about the adoption a year from now or five years from now? Do you want to put yourself and that child through a legal fight/custody battle?

Heh, I thought Elena's pinata was going to be a poop emoji.

I always find food fights on tv unrealistic but maybe that's because I know I'd have to clean it up since I don't have a maid. Totally not worth it!

I'm nine years older than my sister and I babysit her all the time, sometimes all day. We both came out unscathed!

I have 6 siblings ranging from 3 yr younger to 15 yrs younger. I babysat plenty , but Delilahs been having Eddie and Katherine  watch Charlie most of the time and I’ve rarely seen Danny do much more than hold her occasionally. Seems strange that in this crisis of her dad being missing she didn’t rally the gang to drop everything and run to help. He should rank a bit higher than Wesley. I thought leaving Charlie with Danny an entire day was a bit much. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Was she an infant that need bottle feeding, burping and diaper changes?  I find it ridiculous that Danny a 12 maybe 13 year old boy would be left alone with an infant all day.  Still don't feel sorry for Delilah.  Gary and Maggie at this point are hard to watch.  The food fight was stupid IMO, not to mention disgusting.  Abusive scary father of the baby is a storyline that has been done to death.  Needless to say, not a great episode for me.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

The food fight was stupid IMO, not to mention disgusting.

I wouldn't think to make an even bigger mess as a way of showing him it's not a big deal. Calmly grabbing a towel and cleaning up the spill, then getting him a new drink would have been more than enough (but then, that's what most people would do and it's been well established that none of these characters react to things like real people do).

Anyone else think Theo's reaction to knocking over his milk glass was more like a kid who expected to get beaten for it? He seemed almost scared rather than just upset over making a mess. If nothing else, I think it's pretty clear his parents have never been the type to get scary-mad over an accidental spill. 

(And yeah, food fights are gross.)

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I wouldn't think to make an even bigger mess as a way of showing him it's not a big deal. Calmly grabbing a towel and cleaning up the spill, then getting him a new drink would have been more than enough (but then, that's what most people would do and it's been well established that none of these characters react to things like real people do).

Anyone else think Theo's reaction to knocking over his milk glass was more like a kid who expected to get beaten for it? He seemed almost scared rather than just upset over making a mess. If nothing else, I think it's pretty clear his parents have never been the type to get scary-mad over an accidental spill. 

(And yeah, food fights are gross.)

I want to see them cleaning it up, but that would have taken the rest of the hour. ; )

3 hours ago, iwasish said:

I have 6 siblings ranging from 3 yr younger to 15 yrs younger. I babysat plenty , but Delilahs been having Eddie and Katherine  watch Charlie most of the time and I’ve rarely seen Danny do much more than hold her occasionally. Seems strange that in this crisis of her dad being missing she didn’t rally the gang to drop everything and run to help. He should rank a bit higher than Wesley. I thought leaving Charlie with Danny an entire day was a bit much. 

I agree, Danny did not seem capable of it or at least would have issues if the baby fussed too much. I never felt Delilah's anguish with her dad, I don't know if it's her acting but it seemed like she was just reading the lines.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, iwasish said:

The accent thing confuses me, too. So her mom was French and her dad is American, and they met when he was stationed in France. Then they got together when she want on vacation to Boston with her parents. Okay, great, but unless they moved back to France after getting married and they then raised Delilah in France, she should not have a French accent. 

• Love 4

I HATED the car ride between Sophie and her grandfather.  So Jon wasn't always the perfect husband?  That doesn't give Delilah license to have an affair with his married best friend.  That was such a cop-out to resolve Sophie's completely understandable resentment towards her mother.

• Love 14
11 hours ago, LucyEth said:

Was she an infant that need bottle feeding, burping and diaper changes?  I find it ridiculous that Danny a 12 maybe 13 year old boy would be left alone with an infant all day.

Yes, she was born a regular tiny baby so she pooped and she cried and she spit up all over me. We both turned out fine despite all the time I spent taking care of her before I hit puberty.

Watching a baby is definitely a responsibility so I'm not trying to make light of it, but it's also not rocket science. When she poops, you change her diaper. To feed her, you put a bottle in her mouth and then burp her. I did at when I was younger than Danny and managed not to drop her or otherwise scar her for life so I don't think it's absurd that Danny is able to competently babysit for the day. Charlie's still pretty young (I can never tell what the timeline is on this show but I think she's only a few months old) which means she mostly sleeps so it's not like he was chasing after a mischievous toddler all day.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, LucyEth said:

Was she an infant that need bottle feeding, burping and diaper changes?  I find it ridiculous that Danny a 12 maybe 13 year old boy would be left alone with an infant all day

I was 10 when my brother was born and I did all this. I also took the city bus with him when he was a little older when I needed to take him to my mother's work for his appointments (doctor was close to her work). Sometimes families just have to adapt. In my case, my family was too poor to afford baby sitters of daycare and my mother had to work. But Delilah can afford a babysitter, I am sure.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, alexvillage said:

I was 10 when my brother was born and I did all this. I also took the city bus with him when he was a little older when I needed to take him to my mother's work for his appointments (doctor was close to her work). Sometimes families just have to adapt. In my case, my family was too poor to afford baby sitters of daycare and my mother had to work. But Delilah can afford a babysitter, I am sure.

My mom got pregnant with my sister right before we were supposed to move across the country. My dad had already accepted a job offer so the modified plan was he moved out there and started looking for a house and then the rest of us would move out there after my sister was born (he didn't want my mom to have to deal with a cross country move while pregnant).

Back then, paternity leave was not very common so my dad was on the other side of the country when my sister was born. He flew home afterward to help pack up the house, but because my mom was briefly a single parent to three kids and then had pack up an entire house, move across the country, and unpack the entire house, as the oldest child I was given the task of watching my newborn sister throughout this process. And unfortunately when we moved to another state, we had absolutely no family there and didn't know a single person so my parents didn't have aunts, uncles, grandparents, or childhood friends to babysit us for free. As a result, I ended up being the one to watch my sister for most of her childhood. It was definitely a case of our family adapting to the circumstances.

Delilah's financial situation seems to change with whatever the writers want for the plot so one week she's on the verge of losing the house and the next week everything is fine. I would guess that she can afford some kind of daycare (and if she's going to work at the restaurant regularly, she's definitely going to need someone who can watch Charlie while Sophie and Danny are at school). Then again, this is Delilah who is incapable of doing ANYTHING without help from the entire gang so imagine how much they'd have to juggle all of their schedules so that they could help Delilah interview nannies. Actually, scratch that since Gina and Katherine are the only on we've seen go to work lately.

Anyway, I don't think it's ridiculous to think that Danny is capable of watching Charlie, especially when you consider that Sophie moved out of the house yet was able to come home and feed Charlie a bottle. Sophie hasn't been shown constantly changing diapers yet we accept that she could hold her sister and feed her, so why can't we accept that Danny could do the same thing?

• Love 4
14 hours ago, mikem said:

I HATED the car ride between Sophie and her grandfather.  So Jon wasn't always the perfect husband?  That doesn't give Delilah license to have an affair with his married best friend.  That was such a cop-out to resolve Sophie's completely understandable resentment towards her mother.

Why on earth would Sophie believe what her grandfather said when he didn't even know who he was talking to?  He has memory issues, maybe what he said about Jon was accurate, but maybe it wasn't. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

My mom got pregnant with my sister right before we were supposed to move across the country. My dad had already accepted a job offer so the modified plan was he moved out there and started looking for a house and then the rest of us would move out there after my sister was born (he didn't want my mom to have to deal with a cross country move while pregnant).

Back then, paternity leave was not very common so my dad was on the other side of the country when my sister was born. He flew home afterward to help pack up the house, but because my mom was briefly a single parent to three kids and then had pack up an entire house, move across the country, and unpack the entire house, as the oldest child I was given the task of watching my newborn sister throughout this process. And unfortunately when we moved to another state, we had absolutely no family there and didn't know a single person so my parents didn't have aunts, uncles, grandparents, or childhood friends to babysit us for free. As a result, I ended up being the one to watch my sister for most of her childhood. It was definitely a case of our family adapting to the circumstances.

Delilah's financial situation seems to change with whatever the writers want for the plot so one week she's on the verge of losing the house and the next week everything is fine. I would guess that she can afford some kind of daycare (and if she's going to work at the restaurant regularly, she's definitely going to need someone who can watch Charlie while Sophie and Danny are at school). Then again, this is Delilah who is incapable of doing ANYTHING without help from the entire gang so imagine how much they'd have to juggle all of their schedules so that they could help Delilah interview nannies. Actually, scratch that since Gina and Katherine are the only on we've seen go to work lately.

Anyway, I don't think it's ridiculous to think that Danny is capable of watching Charlie, especially when you consider that Sophie moved out of the house yet was able to come home and feed Charlie a bottle. Sophie hasn't been shown constantly changing diapers yet we accept that she could hold her sister and feed her, so why can't we accept that Danny could do the same thing?

He’s capable, but from what they’ve shown, it’s been Eddie, or Eddie and Katherine that Delilah has called in an emergency. I can see Danny watching her for a few hours at a time and as he becomes comfortable watching  her for longer periods.  Back when I was watching siblings it was much more common to have preteens watching infants. I  think the last generation or two has been less inclined to give kids that kind of responsibility. We see more helicopter parents, their kids end up incapable of doing the simplest things for themselves. At work I hear mom’s getting calls from kids in college, expecting mommy to schedule haircuts, dentist appointments, etc. My brother at 7-8 would come to me or our mom and ask for a couple dollars so he could go to town and get  a haircut. And off he would go on his little sting - ray bike!!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, iwasish said:

He’s capable, but from what they’ve shown, it’s been Eddie, or Eddie and Katherine that Delilah has called in an emergency. I can see Danny watching her for a few hours at a time and as he becomes comfortable watching  her for longer periods.  Back when I was watching siblings it was much more common to have preteens watching infants. I  think the last generation or two has been less inclined to give kids that kind of responsibility. We see more helicopter parents, their kids end up incapable of doing the simplest things for themselves. At work I hear mom’s getting calls from kids in college, expecting mommy to schedule haircuts, dentist appointments, etc. My brother at 7-8 would come to me or our mom and ask for a couple dollars so he could go to town and get  a haircut. And off he would go on his little sting - ray bike!!

I get that too at my medical office, Mom's doing many things for kids (and husband's too) and then I have to reschedule things later when Mom did it "wrong", they had a prior commitment and I'm like "Do it yourself, your phone has talk too". ; )  I wouldn't have left Danny all day with Charley but on a show like this, they aren't home often or working and babies are fine until they are sick and then it's usually sick enough for a hospital.

Nash loved the grandpa scene (like he did the dog one with Edna) but I guess we will never see eye to eye. He did not tell Sophie any real truth, she heard what faded memory he had of Delilah complaining to him. What they didn't do as many couples, is talk to EACH OTHER. She said Jon was fine until about that 2 year mark, you don't plan on leaving your spouse because of a bump in the road. He was good to his friends, very good, his kids, as a husband, he wasn't home enough or distant, but Delilah never wondered why? She never said "I miss you" No, she went to Eddie and how that started, I hope they don't show, slept around with him, ignored the distance because now it was easier, she had an outlet and then wanted him full time. Jon would pay for it of course since she didn't work and he had kids but sympathy, still don't feel it. She had a good marriage (for TV) good kids, nice home, she watched the changes and talked to everyone but Jon. Her script has always been he got distant or busy or not fulfilling her but he also helped Gary, thought of everyone if needed and still had his Friday pizza get together's.  He was compartmentalizing a lot that last year but it takes 2 to make things work and I don't think either tried for different reasons.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2

This is something I have never seen mentioned but it bugs the crap out of me..

When Katherine calls Theo “T”,  I cringe every time...Yes I know it’s a nickname but she does it every single time and it’s as though it’s his name now... although this past week in therapy she did call him Theo one time and I can’t tell you how happy that made me...

It’s silly but it irks me so much...

Also, that food fight was disgusting and all I could think about was I would die before I would let all that food all over my kitchen or dining room !!! 

12 hours ago, iwasish said:

I  think the last generation or two has been less inclined to give kids that kind of responsibility. We see more helicopter parents, their kids end up incapable of doing the simplest things for themselves. At work I hear mom’s getting calls from kids in college, expecting mommy to schedule haircuts, dentist appointments, etc. My brother at 7-8 would come to me or our mom and ask for a couple dollars so he could go to town and get  a haircut. And off he would go on his little sting - ray bike!!

My sister worked at a large university a few years ago and she would get ridiculous calls from parents, as in, "Can you change my son's grade on his midterm from a C to a B?" First of all, she wasn't this kid's professor so no, she couldn't have done it even if she wanted to. But second of all, WTF? How can you think this is acceptable?

Mr. EB recently told me about how his grandparents used to give him some money and let him walk to the neighborhood market (unaccompanied by an adult) to buy candy for himself and bring back a beer for grandpa. And this wasn't back in ye olden days either. I don't know how we went from that to these obsessive helicopter parents doing everything for their kids.

1 hour ago, SiouxB said:

This is something I have never seen mentioned but it bugs the crap out of me..

When Katherine calls Theo “T”,  I cringe every time...Yes I know it’s a nickname but she does it every single time and it’s as though it’s his name now... although this past week in therapy she did call him Theo one time and I can’t tell you how happy that made me...

It’s silly but it irks me so much...

I blame Gossip Girl. Serena and Blair always called each other S and B and ever since then, it's so common to hear people shorten names to the first letter (as many of the characters do with Delilah's name as well). I get it a little more with Delilah because I have notice that people have an aversion to names with more than two syllables and always want to shorten them (source: my sisters and I all have names with three syllables and people always shorten them which drives me crazy). But I really don't get when people do that with one and two syllable names. I guess it's supposed to show that you're close? But I not so secretly end up thinking that you're just being lazy because you can't  be bothered to take the extra half a second to say my whole name.

• Love 1

I guess most everyone here is in agreement that the baby storyline is undesirable, to sa the least.

They changed Regina's view for herself without a moment's doubt. People change but I don't think she would never question the decision like that. But she did, so that's it.

I can see the possible scenarios for the birth mother plot because they are the same ones already used and exhausted on TV

1. the birth mother runs away because of the boyfriend, Rome and Regina will be heartbroken and from there there are also unoriginal scenarios that can be used

2. the boyfriend shows up, there is a big fight, maybe she minor tragedy. Again, I can imagine more scenarios from there too because they are always the same

3. birth mother comes to live with Rome and Regina - because their house is a B&B - and conflicts will arise.

For once, I would like to see something like the baby being born disabled and still being adopted It doesn't have to be "inspirational" or a "devastating" thing. Just as in part of life. Maybe not having "ten fingers, ten toes". They want a baby so much, show that they actually do. But not as a matter of heroism, it doesn't even have to be a big deal in the story - is is actually better if it isn't because writers cannot be trusted to write disability well yet. Baby is disabled, it requires some extra care but no pity, inspo-porn, hero tales. A storyline would be great button with these writers. they will mess it up.

Theo is very emotionally immature and the way his anxiety is being dealt with only reinforces that. I don't know. Food fight for a spilled milk? I think the best would be: oops, not problem. Here, clean it up and come back to finish your dinner. The way they are doing it will just require a bigger mess to cover up any possible mess a kid does. Nay little trouble will require a bigger problem. I find it silly, not sure how their approach will help. At least it seems like he is going back to the therapist.

On 2/13/2020 at 10:55 PM, ams1001 said:

Do they have to credit him if they mention the character's name?

I don't follow the credits in shows but I always thought that it is a matter of contract, whatever the arrangements were at the start of filming, thinking about syndication later. the actor gets paid something for the reruns. Or maybe they had a small scene, a flash back, so they would have to credit him, and the scene ended up on the floor of the editing room. 

• Love 1

I never thought about the initial name before but old friend called her son Terrance "T" all the time (and he's in his 30's now) A Cecelia was "C" and someone in my extended family would call me "D" growing up. I remember someone thinking my name was Dee but I said she must just like to do that. I have no idea how it starts.

I don't think Ron is paid by name only but I think flashbacks are. I read that more than once. I never saw Ron's name on that last show, it might have been an error on one site. Nash mentioned him being back at some point (I'm thinking when ratings need it) but he mentioned his dad last year and that never happened. Maybe too much of a stretch to show him after the funeral when parents weren't mentioned then?

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1
On 2/14/2020 at 5:57 AM, debraran said:

I also am tired of the stereotypes with black teens and women. Can't the mom just be a mom who got pregnant unexpectedly without a mean black boyfriend who is hunting her down? Please, give me a break. 

Yeah, for one I am kind of disappointed that they are going with a baby and not an older kid, who are less likely to get adopted in many cases (especially children of color) and would be more in line with what Regina said about how she wanted to help a kid like they did with PJ. And for another, of course the young black women cant just be typical TV teen with parents hovering around and she doesent want a baby because she has early admittance to MIT, or just a person who didnt want a kid? She has to be all on her own with a hard luck abusive boyfriend backstory, because thats the only story that many writers think that black women are allowed to have. There must be suffering! And now of course he is going to hunt her down and be all evil and it will be even more drama, because...the writers looked at their list of Issues and realized they hadn't done domestic abuse yet, and thought that this show just didnt have enough drama. 

• Love 9

It really was cringey when Regina was talking about much she wanted a BABY. It really just didn't track with A. what we knew about her and B. her given reasons for wanting to adopt. It really boils down to, "That woman didn't know what she really wanted, but we let her know it was a baby."

• Love 10
On 2/13/2020 at 10:26 PM, iwasish said:

PJ, lol

On 2/13/2020 at 9:26 PM, iwasish said:

On 2/14/2020 at 6:29 AM, gonzosgirrl said:

On 2/14/2020 at 8:08 PM, Anosmia said:

The accent thing confuses me, too. So her mom was French and her dad is American, and they met when he was stationed in France. Then they got together when she want on vacation to Boston with her parents. Okay, great, but unless they moved back to France after getting married and they then raised Delilah in France, she should not have a French accent. 

Too bad they didn’t write Delilah’s backstory so that Stephanie Szostak could speak with a full French accent - she seems to be straining to sound American, and her natural voice is lovely.

On edit, maybe Delilah’s dad will miss her mother’s accent, and Delilah will suddenly go full French. Easy peasy!

Edited by nexxie
  • Love 1
On 2/13/2020 at 7:13 PM, Katie111 said:

Wow!  These people sure get a lot done before high school starts.  My kids can barely make the bus, never mind going across town to go to work before school.  And what time was Delilah visiting her dad?  5am?   She managed to do that and make it to the restaurant before Sophie needed to be to school?  And all in Boston morning traffic? 

And does Gary have a job?   Weekday and 3 men are all not working? 

This show is not for detail people. 😉

On 2/14/2020 at 4:29 AM, gonzosgirrl said:

I could swear her dad was played by Gerald McCraney in the Pizza Friday episode.  Am I misremembering?

He was.

On 2/14/2020 at 8:12 AM, ams1001 said:

Ha! He's too good for her!

(Apparently New!Dad is from CSI which I don't really watch.)

That's where I know him from. I stopped watching it years ago - no show should be on the air for that long.

On 2/14/2020 at 12:34 PM, LucyEth said:

Was she an infant that need bottle feeding, burping and diaper changes?  I find it ridiculous that Danny a 12 maybe 13 year old boy would be left alone with an infant all day.  Still don't feel sorry for Delilah.  Gary and Maggie at this point are hard to watch.  The food fight was stupid IMO, not to mention disgusting.  Abusive scary father of the baby is a storyline that has been done to death.  Needless to say, not a great episode for me.

So, if Danny was a 12 or 13 year old girl, it would be okay? There's not a lot to taking care of a baby at that stage, and depending on how much of a sleeper the baby is, there's a lot of down time. Seems like an easy gig to me.

On 2/14/2020 at 6:08 PM, Anosmia said:

I have the vaguest of vague memories that for some reason Delilah and her mom returned to France and she lived there for quite some time.

As for the soldier/French woman story - France kicked US forces out in 1966 (military brat - personally impacted by it). So if the timeline is that he was in the States for a year, then they got married 2 years after that - that puts them at 1969. Clearly they waited quite a while to have a child, as Delilah would be in her late 40's if they didn't. (I know, details, details)

On 2/15/2020 at 9:00 AM, snarkylady said:

Why on earth would Sophie believe what her grandfather said when he didn't even know who he was talking to?  He has memory issues, maybe what he said about Jon was accurate, but maybe it wasn't. 

1) She's a teen, and 2) though he doesn't know he's talking to Sophie, he does think he's talking to Delilah.

My takeaway is not that it absolves Delilah, as much as it gives Sophie an inkling that a person can be a great parent, and not a great spouse. Which works both ways in their scenario.

For me the scene worked - because I've lived that scene with my father in the depths of his Alzheimer's. No big family secrets were revealed, but he did think I was his sister most of the time he talked to me so I learned some stuff. Then he forgot his sister, making me just some stranger who irritated him.

As for the Rome/Regina baby storyline - the thing that pissed me off the most is that they put up a video with the birth mother in it, after knowing her story of an abusive boyfriend. No one in hiding should ever have his/her image put up, even in a family group.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 6

Between the pinata with the confetti and glitter, and the food fight, my biggest takeaway here was that I feel sorry for the crew who worked this episode.

I don't mind that the Delilah's father's stories in the car affected Sophie. I DO mind that it seems to have absolved Delilah completely in Sophie's mind 🙄

• Love 5
2 hours ago, SilverLake0315 said:

Between the pinata with the confetti and glitter, and the food fight, my biggest takeaway here was that I feel sorry for the crew who worked this episode.

I don't mind that the Delilah's father's stories in the car affected Sophie. I DO mind that it seems to have absolved Delilah completely in Sophie's mind 🙄

I'm not sure Sophie has completely forgiven her (time will tell) but it at least softened her a bit and made her realize that there are two sides to the story, even if one side is the more righteous. 

Jon took great pains to hide his pain, I think that has been established, so no I'm not going to blame Delilah for not knowing the state of his mental anguish, just as Regina had no idea about Rome's issues. Doesn't excuse infidelity, nothing does, really, but I think Sophie (like many of the characters) had Jon up on a pedestal and can't fathom that he wasn't perfect. Honestly, I don't know anyone in the world that I revere that much, and it is a trope that the person who is no longer around is gushed about like they walked on water. I loved my mother and I love my father, but neither one of them were/are perfect. They are fallible human beings, like us all.

• Love 4
On 2/13/2020 at 9:38 PM, ams1001 said:

I also thought the response to his "yeah, I'm not doing that" should have just been, "yes, you are" and let the therapist do her job. I'm sure he wouldn't be the first kid she's dealt with who was brought to her against their will.

I have to respectfully disagree with this.  I was 10 when my parents divorced, and was forced to go to a counseling session that was complete BS.  I did not participate as I didn't appreciate how it was presented, nor the attitude of the therapist.  

• Love 1

Ugh, Delilah.

You're daughter is trying to have an honest, heartfelt conversation with you, and you can't hit "ignore" on your phone?  If the call is important, they'll leave a message and you can call back in five minutes.

She's such a narcissist that she had no clue that she should maybe just be encouraging her dad to enjoy a lovely memory by filling in the story and helping jog his memory.  And correcting and embarrassing him over her son's name?  He has Alzheimer's, doing that won't make him any more likely to remember it, but you shamed him in the moment.  Her lack of compassion was shocking.

• Love 2