Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E02: Whit's New Man

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, princelina said:

You mean you didn't have someone else do all the planning while you just stood around twerking for 20 minutes?  What kind of trainer were you?  😄 

No, but I did stand around  a lot while  my clients  did the  actual work 😉😁

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Colleenna said:

No, but I did stand around  a lot while  my clients  did the  actual work 😉😁

Well that's the benefit of being the boss!  As I used to tell my 7th grade students - if you want to do what I do go get a teaching certificate and a job - until then I'll be the only one cutting in the lunch line 😄 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

The first showing of this shit-show is at 6PM, when it is a 2 hour episode I usually watch the second hour at 11PM. No way am I watching the Twit when I can have Mark Harmon on my TV screen (NCIS)! Last Night I fell asleep on the second hour...guess I didn't miss much. Maybe will watch if it repeats during the day sometime. All I can say is boring....

15 hours ago, cherenkov said:

and kipping them like Jessica (fuck I hate CrossFit for this encouragement of shitty form) is only going to ruin a rotator cuff.

Right? I thought the challenge of a pull-up was to make your weakest muscles strong enough to support your entire body weight, not to slide around using only momentum to get around.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, SatelliteCall said:

It's a quote from Rocky IV, though I'm not sure why that phrase in particular means so much to her. She also has "Cut me, Mick" from Rocky tattooed on her arm. Big fan apparently.

Ooohhh, that’s what her arm tattoo says.  I was  trying to figure that out for the past 2 episodes.  I thought it might have said Call me, maybe”, like the Carly Rae Jensen song.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, monagatuna said:

Right? I thought the challenge of a pull-up was to make your weakest muscles strong enough to support your entire body weight, not to slide around using only momentum to get around.

Kipping pull ups like that is a great way to:

• Not get stronger
  • Give yourself bloody, raw palms
  • Tear a rotator cuff
  • Look like a douchebag

It is a poor way develop lats and biceps so that you can do actual pull ups. Jessica seems like a person with good intentions, but nothing backing it. It's like she goes through the motions and will make comments she's heard coaches and trainers say, but she doesn't understand what they mean or know how to actually develop someone. Whitney "jumping" on that box to do a pull up is not developing any strength in her lats or her biceps. She's never putting those muscles under load at all. The big risk is she's holding that bar and slips off the box. Her own weight is going to rip a shoulder out of socket or break her leg.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, cherenkov said:

• Not get stronger
  • Tear a rotator cuff
  • Look like a douchebag

It is a poor way develop lats and biceps so that you can do actual pull ups. Jessica seems like a person with good intentions, but nothing backing it. It's like she goes through the motions and will make comments she's heard coaches and trainers say, but she doesn't understand what they mean or know how to actually develop someone. Whitney "jumping" on that box to do a pull up is not developing any strength in her lats or her biceps. She's never putting those muscles under load at all. The big risk is she's holding that bar and slips off the box. Her own weight is going to rip a shoulder out of socket or break her leg.

Yeah, even an "assisted pull-up " machine would be better.  Unfortunately for  Sweatney, the "assistance " on most of these  machines  only goes to  200# and there's no way she could  pull up the 180# difference. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I’m confused by the obsession with the pull-up. Why would a pull-up be on any list of things to do for Whitney. It may be a well-known exercise but it’s actually a pretty advanced move. I know a lot of women who are in very good shape, lift weights, and have well-defined arms but don’t do pull-ups. If she wants to do strength training and muscle building it seems like there would be a lot of other options rather than focusing on a pull-up. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, 3girlsforus said:

I’m confused by the obsession with the pull-up. Why would a pull-up be on any list of things to do for Whitney. It may be a well-known exercise but it’s actually a pretty advanced move. I know a lot of women who are in very good shape, lift weights, and have well-defined arms but don’t do pull-ups. If she wants to do strength training and muscle building it seems like there would be a lot of other options rather than focusing on a pull-up. 

I think it's because Jessica is a CrossFit person, and pull ups are one of their key things. I'm half Whitney's size and couldn't do one if you paid me, so I'm not judging (on this one, highly specific topic, lol).

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

I laugh when I think about pullups......I recall trying to do 2 of them years ago when I was about 130 pounds and worked out 5-6 days a week, ran 3 miles a day, 2 miles elliptical, 1 mile on bike, plus some weights, etc. in my routine.  Upper body strength has never been my thing, even when in good shape and thin. Looking at Jessica....it looks like they may be very manageable for her. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, IndyMischa said:

I think it's because Jessica is a CrossFit person, and pull ups are one of their key things. I'm half Whitney's size and couldn't do one if you paid me, so I'm not judging (on this one, highly specific topic, lol).

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I laugh when I think about pullups......I recall trying to do 2 of them years ago when I was about 130 pounds and worked out 5-6 days a week, ran 3 miles a day, 2 miles elliptical, 1 mile on bike, plus some weights, etc. in my routine.  Upper body strength has never been my thing, even when in good shape and thin. Looking at Jessica....it looks like they may be very manageable for her. 

This is exactly my point. I don’t judge anyone for not being able to do a pull-up. I certainly can’t. Not being able to do a pull-up doesn’t mean you aren’t strong or aren’t in shape. It’s certainly impressive if you can do them well but for most people, especially morbidly obese people, it just simply isn’t needed for a good exercise program. 

I find it funny that Whitney claims to be all about fitness for everyone and shows modifications for “people like her” in her nobsactive class because she can’t do what Ryan does, but when she’s working out on her own she’s attempting things so far outside of what she can do it’s foolish. I’m sure she thinks it’s “pushing herself” but there are so many steps between her and a pull-up it’s dumb to even be trying. 

• Love 13
On 1/15/2020 at 1:27 PM, LibertarianSlut said:

Was this episode two hours?  I don’t think I watched the whole thing, because the TV gods have decided to put every single thing I like on at 9 pm, which is annoying in having to choose, but I just had a few thoughts...

I don’t know about the form, but Whitney is in pretty good shape at this point.  She is lifting things and doing stairs and she’s not 20.  What she does in those videos with Sam is hard.  So it occurred to me—just how many calories must she be putting in her body to still be 333?  

Part of me thinks she will never get down to anything approximating a normal size, because it would be off-brand, which is so sad.

What is with the fascination with Buddy?  He is really gross.  He is just a waste of a human being.  And Whitney seems like one of the more educated, articulate people on reality TV.  I know she’s tremendous, and that’s a sticking point for finding a mate, but nobody should settle for Buddy.  Why is she still talking about this bullshit kiss, and on a date with an alright guy no less?  Is she trying to sabotage it?  Why?  So she can end up with Buddy?

Both Whitney and Ashley have really upped their hair games this season.  Last season it looked like they were both damn near bald, and now they both have long flowing locks.  

I had my husband look up the apartment complex in Charlotte, because I think it’s really nice, and he said units start at $1,200.  I like that place for her.  Cats live in studios, so I’m not too worried about that.  I also thought the townhouse was really, really nice, and I think she should move there and sell the house in Greensboro and move on and away from Buddy.  Every time I think I am starting to like Whitney, she says something like, “I don’t know how to tell Buddy I’m selling.  I’ve sort of dropped hints...”  Girl.  If you’re so fabulous, and you’re selling a piece of property, say exactly that to Buddy, and if there are any signs he refuses to evacuate (which he already said he’d do, so it’s not even an issue), educate yourself about North Carolina landlord-tenant law.  This fixation with Buddy even as a friend perplexes me to no end.  I can’t even understand what he says when he speaks.  I think he needs subtitles.  Tal and Todd are at least at Whitney’s level of intelligence, probably smarter.  Buddy, Heather and Ashley seem like dead weight.  Any time your friends try to guilt you about moving up in the world and growing, like Ashley did, it’s a sign that they may not be good friends for you.  

And, yes, why did I give that so much thought, seeing as how this show is totally scripted? Glenn’s text to Whitney gave the whole thing away, if I ever had any doubt before:  “I’m flying into Charlotte from Philadelphia.  Drive mom to the Charlotte airport so I can take her home,” is not a text that would be written in real life.  Everyone knew he was in Philly.  That type of extraneous information exposes it all as fake.  Has anyone out there ever gotten a text from a friend or family member identifying where they were coming from, when you already knew?  That would be like my husband texting me he’s at the auto repair shop, getting the oil changed, and when he’s done, he’ll come home to our house, where we live.  Like, huh?

I’m fascinated by Jessica.  I think she’s so beautiful, and I love her focus on working out.  She’s hardcore, but she’s not a bitch, and I would really love to know more about her story and how she lives her life from day to day.  I think it would be more interesting than Whitney, unless Whitney ever wanted to get real, which can’t happen, because the show has her acting like a nut, and she goes along with it for that green, which I can’t really begrudge, but I wish they’d give Jessica a web series or something.

YES YES YES TO YOUR BUDDY ASSESSMENT!  I call him mumbles and I don’t understand how even the most desperate of women would be attracted to him.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Irate Panda said:

YES YES YES TO YOUR BUDDY ASSESSMENT!  I call him mumbles and I don’t understand how even the most desperate of women would be attracted to him.

Count me in on your Buddy assessment

But I disagree with @LibertarianSlut about Jessica. I find her neither interesting not beautiful

• Love 4
9 hours ago, cherenkov said:

• Not get stronger
  • Tear a rotator cuff
  • Look like a douchebag

Kipping pull-ups should also not even be a skill to work on until you can do multiple strict pull-ups in a row. Every second of that movement should be in full control. Unfortunately the majority of people that do them are not in control at all. 

• Love 4
23 hours ago, nytonc said:

I missed this week’s show. Let me guess...

Twit screamed & brayed like the ass she is. She wore leggings & a bra top even when she wasn’t going to the gym. She peed in a hot tub, a pool and/or a bath tub. She sniffed a cat’s breath, a beard and/or an armpit.  She had someone apply chub rub cream.  She talked incessantly, loudly and obnoxiously about herself. She said she doesn’t care about her weight. She embarrassed Babs & Glen. She mentioned the Buddy kiss. She “danced” (hahaha).

You got it all right! Except Buddy applied foot cream to her hooves.

• LOL 5
2 hours ago, Dot said:

But I disagree with @LibertarianSlut about Jessica. I find her neither interesting not beautiful

Oh well, ok, I get it.  Jessica does seem to have some...dermatological issues.  You got me.  I still think she’s beautiful, but I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  

The reason I find Jessica so interesting is the fact that she was able to completely transform her body, long-term.  When they showed her before pictures in this episode, she was not fat, but flabby, and probably borderline overweight.  Now, she has the sickest body with the tightest ass (I happen to think her arms are too big, but whatever) and some of the lowest body fat I’ve ever seen on a person, and I find that transition very interesting, probably because I’m never able to stick to an exercise regimen long-term.  

I can go on a tear where I will work out hard for months, and then I will go forever without even being able to look at my gym bag, because I hate exercise.  I hate it.  I find it so much easier to diet, and even then, it’s not easy.  Jessica seems like she’s at peace with her diet and exercise, so I would want to see more about her, in the (probably vain) hopes that it would inspire me.  

And who am I kidding?  If her life is totally fucked up and she’s miserable, I definitely want to see that, because I’m awful.  

I guess I just want to see a little bit of honesty on this show.  I don’t even think Whitney is aware of the truth.  Like, I don’t think she’s overtly lying, I think she actually buys her own (and Jessica’s) bullshit that she’s 333 lbs because she’s not eating enough.  I’m sure she thinks that turkey bacon and eggs she ate with Babs was really the only food she ate that day, and forgot about the pizza and the fast food that she likely ordered.  (Do we really think she’s not hitting up the Chik-fil-A drive through on all these sojourns to Charlotte and back?!?)  I really think Whitney believes that if she gets deeply involved in a diet, like Jessica wants her to, it will “trigger” her eating disorder (which, yes, she has an eating disorder—binge eating disorder, not anorexia nervosa, as she’d have us believe) and she’ll lose 100 lbs in six weeks, or six days, or whatever she claimed she was forced to do under the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad Will, and then if she gets down to 233 at 5’2,” that will be a crisis, because, I guess, she’ll be too thin??  Like, I really think that is the bullshit that goes through Whitney’s mind.

I would love if someone gave truth serum to Jessica and she had to tell what she really thought about Whitney’s eating and fitness.  That might be better than a web series.

I don’t think Whitney is nearly as bad as she used to be—she seems like she actually watched the show and gained self-awareness, which nobody on reality TV seems to do.  I think she has come a really long way since she wheel-chaired around the St Patrick’s Day parade and she and her friends ganged up on the alcoholic comedienne for telling the truth about her, and cheating against the Trophy Wives (who were actually beautiful fat women who were in shape).  And a 50 lb weight loss doesn’t lie.  It’s just that, if Whitney’s bullshit has been cut by 40%, we’re still getting it at a rate of 60%, and I’m trying to figure out a way for this show to get its legs back.

I’m in until the end though.  I’m so afraid I’ll take this off my DVR right before the season that Whitney gets down to her ideal weight and I’ll be like, “what happened?  How’d she do it??” 😲

• LOL 2
  • Love 13
6 hours ago, Dot said:

Count me in on your Buddy assessment

I think Jessica is physically attractive, but incredibly boring,  I dont know if she’s more interesting in real life, but on the show I usually fast forward her scenes.

• Love 3
On 1/15/2020 at 1:26 AM, auntjess said:

I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention, but I thought Whit was giving Buddy the "you need to move" message several times, so don't see why he thought he could stay forever.
Wasn't that why he was talking of coming to Charlotte?

Yes, but it was supremely irresponsible of her not to mention a timeframe during any of those previous conversations.  And knowing her idiocy, he may have though this was just another of her hare-brained ideas (like BUYING a house in Charlotte!).

On 1/15/2020 at 1:29 AM, silverspoons said:

Can someone explain why there were no large guys at the large guys dance class? 

Maybe we all have different definitions of large, but I def saw a handful of large guys...not Whitney's size, but she is large plus.

I don’t know about the form, but Whitney is in pretty good shape at this point. 

On 1/15/2020 at 7:54 AM, cherenkov said:

On another note, the training with Jessica shows both how not fit Whitney is, and how shitty a trainer Jessica actually is. Having Whitney stand on a box and "jump" at a pull up bar? 

Whitney is not in pretty good shape.  I had been fooled by what looked like impressive lifting, but then they showed her doing those less-than-half-assed pushups.  Now there is nothing wrong with doing 'girl' pushups, where you start from a kneeling position rather than doing them in plank position.  But what Whitney was doing was literally just dipping her head down to the floor and barely bending her arms to move her torso.  That's why I was so stunned when they were talking about pull ups.  Girl cannot even do one partial pushup, and you're going to try to have her do pull ups?

What is with the fascination with Buddy?  

And why on earth would Babs' dream be to have Whitney marry Buddy?!

• Love 8
3 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

And who am I kidding?  If her life is totally fucked up and she’s miserable, I definitely want to see that, because I’m awful.  

This hit me right in the feels. 😄

3 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

I’m in until the end though.  I’m so afraid I’ll take this off my DVR right before the season that Whitney gets down to her ideal weight and I’ll be like, “what happened?  How’d she do it??” 😲

Pretty sure that won't be happening. (Whitney, we know you read this stuff: prove me wrong! I will be the first to cheer you on!) 

• LOL 4
51 minutes ago, IndyMischa said:

This hit me right in the feels. 😄

Pretty sure that won't be happening. (Whitney, we know you read this stuff: prove me wrong! I will be the first to cheer you on!) 

Hah! Let's see.... she claims to  weigh 338. At her height, the max she can weigh (according to  BMI charts, fwiw) is 138. That's a  200# weight loss.  At 2# a week  you're looking at  2 years.

• Love 1

We are only two episodes in but Chase doesn’t bother me on the show.  He at least appears to be kind and not a blob.  I’m probably in the minority but 
I do think Lennie and Whitney sorta dated but he seemed like a robot powering down everytime he was around her. 

Usually Ryan’s snark is warranted. Why are her friends so shitty towards him because the script told them to be. Also why is Whitney gobsmacked at Buddy’s mention of them getting hitched.  Doesn't she remember the oh so romantic marriage promise written on a greasy pizza box between the two? Why would Buddy want to moved where else can you have free run of the house for 80 bucks a week?

Todd and Ashley just seems to show up for a check.  Heather seems depressed or sad although I’d be depressed if the show kept acting like Buddy was my reason for existence.

Babs and Glenn seem like they just memorize cue cards so Whitney is not still dependent on when she’s 60.  

Mumbles is a fucking slob.  I’m glad he’s sober, but he’s still a fucking mess.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

This is exactly my point. I don’t judge anyone for not being able to do a pull-up. I certainly can’t. Not being able to do a pull-up doesn’t mean you aren’t strong or aren’t in shape. It’s certainly impressive if you can do them well but for most people, especially morbidly obese people, it just simply isn’t needed for a good exercise program. 

Exactly. At my absolute fittest, I mean running several marathons a year, working out a couple hours a day, running Tough Mudders before they became the CrossFit of mud runs, and I spent an entire summer trying to do a single pull-up (while my relatively out-of-shape male friend could do several). I got to two with really really good form before I stopped. Jessica kips it because it's all she can do. Lots of Crossfitters do. It's like doing a pushup with your butt in the air. Why bother? Do the best you can with proper form or don't do it at all.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I had been fooled by what looked like impressive lifting, but then they showed her doing those less-than-half-assed pushups

Bumper plates can look way more impressive than the actually are. Lifting is usually impressive in the "strength to weight ratio" area. That means the higher the percentage of your own body weight your one-rep max (the amount you can successfully complete and one full repetition with lock out at, but fail on the second one) the more impressive your lift is.

If Whitney can clean and jerk 100 pounds, at 330 pounds herself, she's lifting 30.3% body weight. I weigh 140 pounds. I hit "intermediate" level at that lift at 119 pounds. At 85% of my body weight. That would be like Whit lifting 280 pounds.

In an Oly competition she'd be in the heaviest weight class, which would be +87kg (Everyone at or above 87 kg or 191.4 pounds). Women a third of her weight competing at that level are lifting twice what she's doing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Jessica kips it because it's all she can do. Lots of Crossfitters do

CrossFit teaches kipping on purpose to make the exercise easier, whereas a more traditional training program would use lat pull downs, assisted pull ups, or reverse pull ups to work up to doing real ones with proper form.

running Tough Mudders before they became the CrossFit of mud runs

Straight up how I felt about the Spartan Stadion. I did it, but fucking hell it felt like a CrossFit competition and not a Spartan. I'll probably never do another one.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

And why on earth would Babs' dream be to have Whitney marry Buddy?!

Glen's dream is for Whit's future to be financially secure, it seems to me, and I can't imagine that Buddy as a son-in-law features in that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, cherenkov said:

Bumper plates can look way more impressive than the actually are. Lifting is usually impressive in the "strength to weight ratio" area. That means the higher the percentage of your own body weight your one-rep max (the amount you can successfully complete and one full repetition with lock out at, but fail on the second one) the more impressive your lift is.

If Whitney can clean and jerk 100 pounds, at 330 pounds herself, she's lifting 30.3% body weight. I weigh 140 pounds. I hit "intermediate" level at that lift at 119 pounds. At 85% of my body weight. That would be like Whit lifting 280 pounds.

In an Oly competition she'd be in the heaviest weight class, which would be +87kg (Everyone at or above 87 kg or 191.4 pounds). Women a third of her weight competing at that level are lifting twice what she's doing.

Yeah she did a competition  in NC. EPIC FAIL. I believe she got a NL on several things. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I just watched most of this incredibly boring show.  If I didn't know anything about these people and just listened to the dialogue, I'd think they were in their late teens/early 20's.   All this blabbering  about "best friends", and "we kissed 6 months ago" they sound like kids.

I don't know why they make the episodes 2 hours, that's way too long.  There's just so much nothing to this show.  Oooooo next week Chase gets jealous of Buddy, what will Twit do??  I'm on the edge of my seat. 🙄

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Yeah she did a competition  in NC. EPIC FAIL. I believe she got a NL on several things. 

I know Jessica can't and won't teach her good form and how to do a full rep properly, but I guess this means the "legit" lifting coach didn't either.

Watching Jessica do whatever it is she calls training with Whitney is a painful experience.

• Love 4

Random thoughts
📌 I wonder if PMG (prod. co.) is setting up Twit's old friends. In one way or another all except Ashley (so far) have been presented as unpleasant ppl to be around.  Maybe PMG is looking ahead for cast cost-cutting by dumping old friends next year for the shiny new ones.
📌 I can't stand pompous, conniving Ryan.
📌 According to Twit: "Maybe [Buddy] was sucking my masculine energy. . . . He has been a man-repellent for me."  No, no, no. What's repellent is your narcissism, your blaming your wgt on everything but overeating, YOU.
📌 Twit first sez her biz with Ryan is taking up 80% of her time, then she increases it to 90%. Either way she'd be unable to eat, sleep, nap, nap some more, go to Crossfit, etc. Somehow I doubt that percentage.
📌 New Whitticism: dramer = drama.
📌 It's hard to believe Twit's feet were so filthy that they stained Buddy's duvet.
📌 I liked Tal's comment that "Buddy will have to do what every other adult has to do -- find his own housing." Unfortunately, that will probably be a boring plot arc for the rest of the season.
📌 Now the kiss is Twit's "demon spirit." And she continues to demand that we believe she & Buddy were intimate some years ago. (Only if he was drunk & blacked out.)
📌 Yet another episode where Heather is portrayed as feeling "weird about everything." This is so unfair to Heather.
📌 OMG, the braying while Ryan is picking thru Twit's closet.
📌 For those who don't follow Twit's SM pages: when she comments that Jessica advised her to have someone walk on her back, that happened on a cruise a couple of years ago. Twit popped a rib, telephoned J from the ship & got those idiotic instructions. (I believe it was Donna who did the walking then.)
📌 It took me a couple days to get around to watching this episode & even so, I couldn't manage it in one sitting. MBFFL just gets more & more boring.

• Love 8

I hear ya, Dot, especially about the boring part. I never managed to watch the whole thing, and I gave it three tries. The only segment that got my attention was when Whitney went off on her parents for not being sufficiently protective of her mother's health and well-being. Listening to this totally irresponsible and self-centered caricature of a woman lecturing her parents on their selfishness and carelessness was annoying enough. Listening to her condescend to them made me admire Glenn and Babs' self control. How they didn't burst out laughing is beyond me. But what I  found most infuriating about that scene was Whitney's TH where she complained that she could not understand people refusing to do what was best for them, even when they were told exactly what they had to do.  Maybe next time Whitney pulls this crap on her parents, they could return the favor by handing her a bunch of literature from various eating disorder programs and offering to pay for the one she chose. 

Edited by Ketzel
  • LOL 3
  • Love 10
17 minutes ago, Ketzel said:

Maybe next time Whitney pulls this crap on her parents, they could return the favor by handing her a bunch of literature from various eating disorder programs and offering to pay for the one she chose. 

Or better yet, queue up all the episodes with various  people  advising  her to lose weight, eat healthier,  etc ---  including the  fake funeral  episode. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
On 1/15/2020 at 1:22 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Severe irritable bowel, severe kidney disease, heart issue and one other thing. I know he's getting one shot a day.  I wasn't clear if that's steroid for inflammation or for diabetes. She didn't say diabetes though.  I know some cats who need shots for that.  She said that he ate like crazy, but, still lost weight. My good friend's cat did that and he died soon thereafter. 

I think they were thinking it was more of IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) or small cell lymphoma. They present the same way but the ONLY way to see which one the cat has is to do the sample from the small intestines. I had a cat who had probable IBD (he was also diabetic) but he was too frail and elderly that I would not put him through the sample. The first shot at treating small cell and IBD is predinsolone which is a daily med. I am guessing MAYBE she can give it as a shot but not sure. My little old man lived as a diabetic for 12 years (yes that requires 2x daily insulin shots and blood testing - he would let me test his left ear). Most likely his IBD changed into small cell lymphoma which later took him. By that time I only did palliative care since he was tired of constant hospitalizations and medications.

If Henchi had an aggressive cancer such as large cell - he would already be dead unless he went through the platinum care of a CHOP chemo protocol (26 weeks with various chemo drugs). I have another cat who did CHOP for over 30 weeks.. she was VERY fortunate as her lymphoma presented within a day in her lymph nodes under her jaw. Some cats do well with CHOP - my little girl has been in remission for 2 years - many die within months and the vast majority get an extra 6-9 months of life. I am sure if he had had that we would have heard all about it. Some folks who may not be as fortunate to do CHOP can do a daily oral chemo but the outcomes are not as positive.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 1/15/2020 at 2:28 PM, cherenkov said:

Her whole speech about eating "whole, organic foods" is part of what I mean. It's better to eat things that are not as processed, yes. It is not intrinsically better if those things are "organic" versus "conventional" farmed. And Jessica denies this, but calories do matter. The biggest concern I have with her on the show is that the wrong and incomplete information is going to get followed by someone watching it and they're going to get injured.

This makes me irate. Calories MATTER all the time.

When I started my weight loss I actually went to a doctor from Duke University he is really big into ketogenic diets, does research on them,  and prescribes them for his patients. He does a wellness clinic. At the time I thought I had to do ketogenic since I had PCOS. I asked him if I needed to count calories. He told me frankly the ONLY time he has patients log food and track calories and prescribes calories is when they fail at losing weight. He explained that the positive part of the keto diet is that generally high fat and moderate protein is so satiating that patients tend to start eating at a calorie deficit and then lose weight. But if those patients still overeat even if on bacon and cheese and whatever.. ultimately if they consume more than they burn then they will indeed not lose weight or gain weight.

Organic is rather hoodoo in my view. I think Jessica in order to still get her check from the show is going to placate Whitney. Whitney is not prepared to really look at her issues in the mirror. Whitney is like many in the fat positive movement - they believe all of the myths that they became obese because of their body's set point, eating at reasonable calories is depriving their bodies from the intuitive eating, nothing is wrong with being obese, they cant eat 1100 calories a day and go into starvation mode and then still gain weight, etc. Like if obese people REALLY ate below 1200 calories a day consistently every day and still gained weight or maintained a weight of 333lbs then NASA needs to study them diligently because it would be a much better way to create power and fuel than any technology we have today.

• Love 7

I’d be concerned about Babs, too. A root canal doesn’t prevent you from eating all day. When did she develop diabetes anyway? I don’t remember it being an issue in past seasons. It would probably be best for Glenn to retire and the two of them go off and spend their time enjoying the rest of their lives. Downsize, travel, whatever appeals to them. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Shmoopaloop said:

I’d be concerned about Babs, too. A root canal doesn’t prevent you from eating all day. When did she develop diabetes anyway? I don’t remember it being an issue in past seasons. It would probably be best for Glenn to retire and the two of them go off and spend their time enjoying the rest of their lives. Downsize, travel, whatever appeals to them. 

My one and only root canal did but the infection was pretty bad and the procedure took awhile. I didn’t eat e entire day - not until about 9 pm just between being in the chair a few hours then coming home and having some soreness plus a headache.

• Love 2

I'm of 2 minds about Babs' need for a device that she can use if she falls & can't get up. At the age of 81 with a few falls under my belt, including  one which required 2 hunky firemen to get me back on my feet, I'm well aware of my own need for such a device. This particularly became clear when in the space of one week, I learned of 2 ppl I knew who fell in the shower. One wasn't found for 3 days, went into a coma & died shortly thereafter. The other had to go into an assisted care facility where he died a year later.

But I live in one of the few parts of the country without cell phone service. So, thus far, I have not found a suitable device.

But, as @Ketzelpointed out, it's the way Twit approached her parents. She could have done some research, pointed out how many elderly ppl die each year from a fall, THEN offered to pay for a subscription after a discussion. Instead, she bullies her way in, device already in hand & demands Babs use it. Much as I am aware of my own need, I would have bristled, too, if someone came at me that way.

• Love 12
32 minutes ago, Dot said:

But I live in one of the few parts of the country without cell phone service. So, thus far, I have not found a suitable device.

There's  one that  uses a landline,  but then it would  only work  in your home. 

As for Twit's behavior,  anyone  coming at me like that would have  flipped my "asshole" switch --- and you really,  really  don't want to  flip my asshole  switch. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

My one and only root canal did but the infection was pretty bad and the procedure took awhile. I didn’t eat e entire day - not until about 9 pm just between being in the chair a few hours then coming home and having some soreness plus a headache.

Oh, wow, that’s no fun! I’ve had 2 and was able to eat soft foods with caution once the numbing wore off a few hours later. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Colleenna said:

There's  one that  uses a landline,  but then it would  only work  in your home. 

Do you know its name? Does it require a monthly fee?

I'm well over 70 with a history of falls. I carry my iPhone in my vest/pant pocket at all times as my "I've fallen and can't get up device" for several years. It is my choice, if one of my kids forced something on me like the Twit did I'd be furious.  I may have balance issues, but I am not stupid, hit Emergency on the phone, same as the 911 or the paid for app.

• Love 7

I recommend Simplisafe although it is designed as a home security device it can be used as safety alert device. The monthly fee for monitoring is $14.99. There is a panic button (ostensibly for intruders). If the alarm goes off,  within a minute Central Station makes a telephone call and if it is not answered the local police are dispatched.

I found Simplisafe incredibly useful in my mother's last years. I would place the motion sensors around her bed or facing her chair and have the keypad with me. If she got up in the night it would chime to alert me that she was out of bed. I'd disarm it on my way to her room to help her with whatever she needed. I know it wasn't designed for that purpose but it certainly worked for me.

The transmitter communicates directly with Central Station and I was skeptical that it would work in an area with very bad cell service but doesn't have any problems. (You can always return it.)

14 hours ago, Dot said:

It's the way Twit approached her parents.

Exactly. People don't automatically turn into blithering idiots at the stroke of midnight on their 65th birthday. And for Whitney Thore, of all people, to act as if her parents are incompetent to run their own lives, and need to bow to her judgment, is absurd.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Alas, this one requires a monthly fee.

But I went to amazon & found some devices that tie into a landline -- I have no cell service where I live -- and have no monthly fee. Unfortunately, the customer reviews on each are mixed. I guess I just need to bite the bullet, choose one & see if it works for me.

BTW, to find these items, search for

senior help dialer medical alert

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, zoltana said:

I couldn't even finish this episode.  I missed the date and the kiss.  I got about 30 minutes in and turned it off and deleted it.  It's becoming the same story over and over.  

Including the date and the kiss.  Whit was dressed decently for a change (that's new I guess) - they hung around and talked about Buddy, then kissed briefly and said good night, she stuck her face in his armpit and took a big whiff, and then took off.  Nothing new at all 😄 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

I’m not trying to be smart but Whitney despite all her training videos isn’t the picture of health either, shouldn’t  she have a Life Alert?  I mean unless a Henchi knows how to make phone calls, Chase is a couple of hours away.  At least Babs has Glenn and Hunter wandering in and out of the house.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

I’m not trying to be smart but Whitney despite all her training videos isn’t the picture of health either, shouldn’t  she have a Life Alert?  I mean unless a Henchi knows how to make phone calls, Chase is a couple of hours away.  At least Babs has Glenn and Hunter wandering in and out of the house.

Considering that she injured her back so severely that Buddy had to rescue her from the shower when she tried to pick up a shampoo bottle, she probably should.

Although for the safety of the people who have to respond to her calls and could potentially injure themselves lifting her, she probably shouldn't.