Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E24: Live Semi-Final Top 8 Eliminations

• Start Topic

Yeah yeah yeah don't vote for Kat because she already has a deal with Blake even though her yelling is grating my nerves. Blake is going to make Kat happen no matter what so why waste a vote on her.

Rose sang one of my favorite songs, but the extras in it turned me off. She has a good voice and didn't need to do the runs she did.

Hello Sunday can sing and I think they will get a deal too. 

I was crossing my fingers that Rose would get saved and thank goodness she was.

I just like the older artists because I want them to have a chance when I think the younger ones will get deals from their associations from this.

• Love 11

You have more faith than I do with prospects for this show's contestants.  To me, it's just a singing contest. They have a lot of fun, but I don't see many of them shooting to success. I have looked up the winners and popular contestants occassionally, and it's not that great. Those who play some professionally, usually stay at the same level. Some never do record or release a record. A few of Blake's people have small appearances in his videos.  The Voice just isn't what the show likes to pretend, imo. But, that's ok. It is what it is. Lol

• Love 6

The Voice has never been the record-selling, star-producing launchpad that it always wanted to be. I remember the Entertainment Weekly article back in 2012 that unfavorably compared the first Voice winner’s debut album’s sales to the debut album sales from the winner of another NBC show with much lower ratings, The Sing-Off. Granted, that winner was Pentatonix, but the article writer was correct in that The Voice never went on to yield top-grossing winners.

As for tonight’s results, this is the first time in years I was happy with the finalists! I actually wouldn’t mind who won out of this crop.

• Love 12
52 minutes ago, toodywoody said:

I was crossing my fingers that Rose would get saved and thank goodness she was.

I know! I was not happy Rose didn't make the cut because she so deserved to be in the finale. I really never know how American will vote so I was a bit nervous with the save. Then they show the graphics with her running away with it and man was I happy and relieved.  Ha, you could read Gwen's lips after Carson called Rose's name. "Oh thank God."

I had picked all of them in the finale except Ricky. I had Hello Sunday instead, but I am satisfied with this group.

• Love 7

I'm satisfied with this group. I suspect it's going to come down to Rose and Katie for me. The men are talented, but they just don't entertain me as much as the ladies do.

I know this is odd, but everytime I see Katie, I'm reminded of Lucy! Didn't she used to wear a headscarf like that?

• Love 6

Hello Sunday singing Chandelier was ridiculous.  I'm sure there are less appropriate songs out there, but I can't think of one at the moment.  I get that they were going for "difficulty" points, but two squeaky clean 14 yr olds singing about being an alcoholic party girl was disturbing.  I don't know if the choice was theirs, Kelly's or productions, but it was a bad one.  They are very talented and I'm sure they'll have other opportunities.

Glad America made the right choice.  Rose really deserved that last spot.

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, leocadia said:

Hello Sunday singing Chandelier was ridiculous.  I'm sure there are less appropriate songs out there, but I can't think of one at the moment.  I get that they were going for "difficulty" points, but two squeaky clean 14 yr olds singing about being an alcoholic party girl was disturbing.  I don't know if the choice was theirs, Kelly's or productions, but it was a bad one.  They are very talented and I'm sure they'll have other opportunities.

THIS.  Who in their right mind thought this was a good song for them to sing.  At least we'll be spared them in the finale.

Actually, I CAN think of a less appropriate song - Jimmy Buffet - "Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw" - and yes, I believe they would have sung it if they thought it would work.

• LOL 5

Forgot to bring this up earlier.  Apparently the theme of Kelly's clothes tonight was "Baked Potato."  First she was wearing the shiny tin foil thing and later the brown sack thing.  Both were really unflattering.  Is making yourself look 20 pounds heavier a fashion thing now?

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Ok, someone on the other thread used the phrase "Goodbye Sunday" and I just love it so much and its so fun to use it on this one!!!!

Goodbye Sunday!!!!

I was going to be so upset for Rose if those two little girls beat her.  I was so sick of Kelly bleating about them being "ONLY 14!!!!" -- who cares???? That is too young to start a professional singing career IMO.... unless you're on a show like the Mickey Mouse Club or performing in musicals or something.

I felt like Rose was showing some of her annoyance on her face in the past couple of episodes. I am very happy she beat the two she beat because vocally she completely deserved to. 

But.... despite her voice being a strong, powerhouse type... I feel it lacks some subtlety and nuance. It may just be my TV but the background singers overpowered her at times in many of her performances. 

Very happy with the final bunch though. 

• Love 9
7 hours ago, ChristmasJones said:

I felt like Rose was showing some of her annoyance on her face in the past couple of episodes. I am very happy she beat the two she beat because vocally she completely deserved to. 

ITA, she did not look happy to still be standing up there, waiting to be safe lol.  But I'm so glad she made it through.  The final four are the ones I thought deserved it most, so while I'm rooting for Rose, I still think any one of them would be a good winner for this show.

• Love 7

I didn't watch so I just googled to see the names of the 4 finalists.  First thing that jumped out at me was that all 4 coaches have a contestant in the finals.  Interesting!  I haven't been watching consistently enough to see who deserves to be there and who doesn't, I take it all 4 are talented,  I just found it interesting enough to point out because it rarely happens, does it?  Or maybe it happens every year and I just don't watch enough to notice.

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 1

I think there have been seasons where a coach was shut out of the finale .  Adam's last season he didn't have a contestant in the finale. Neither did Kelly.   Blake had 3!  But, Legend won with Maelynn Jarmon.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2019/05/21/the-voice-crowns-its-season-16-winner-team-shelton-team-legend/3759541002/#:~:targetText=John Legend just became a,a dream%2C" Jarmon said.

I think it's more fun for each coach to have at least one in the game in the end. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
14 hours ago, leocadia said:

I was thinking the same thing when Hello Sunday sang Chandelier.  It was ridiculous.  They were off key and screechy anyway.  I haven't watched the last two performance shows only the last two eliminations.  So far, my favorite performance of theirs is the last time that they fought for their spot.

Same thing with Kat.  I liked her in the knockouts but she's off key a lot.

So I'm glad Rose made it through.  I wish Mary Beth was in the finals too but knew that she would probably be eliminated since she was in the bottom last week.  It's nice that all four coaches are represented and that we have grown-ups with experience as finalists.

• Love 5

I've always thought that The Voice should have an age limit and contestants should be 18 and older. Not that the younger singers aren't talented, but let them be out of grade school before getting to compete. And I was never a fan of the duos/groups on the show, if only because in a way it's an unfair advantage because harmonies are really lovely. But ultimately they don't win - or at least none have yet - and that spot could go to another individual. 

For the most part, I'm good with the finalists. I do like that all four judges have someone still in it,  I'd be surprised if Katie doesn't win. I did like Will, but John screwed up giving him Bruno Mars' "Locked Out of Heaven". That song wasn't suitable for him and I knew after his performance that he wouldn't make the cut. So happy that Rose was saved. Of the three in the bottom, she undoubtedly has the best voice. 

• Love 7

I was so happy that Kat was finally eliminated. I was afraid "America" was hearing something I wasn't. I guess it is just Blake's fans wanting to make him happy. The finals should be good, if they don't do stupid song choices. I like both women and Jake, but preferred Will to Ricky. Again, song choice. I will be happy with any of them as winners, and I do think that Blake and maybe even Kelly will help them once the cameras stop. I am also looking forward to a Gwen-less judging panel next time, although not sure how I fell about Joe.

That said, I cannot imagine sitting through a whole Katie concert. 

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

I was so happy that Kat was finally eliminated. I was afraid "America" was hearing something I wasn't. I guess it is just Blake's fans wanting to make him happy. The finals should be good, if they don't do stupid song choices. I like both women and Jake, but preferred Will to Ricky. Again, song choice. I will be happy with any of them as winners, and I do think that Blake and maybe even Kelly will help them once the cameras stop. I am also looking forward to a Gwen-less judging panel next time, although not sure how I fell about Joe.

That said, I cannot imagine sitting through a whole Katie concert. 

I would love to see Katie in a Vegas type venue. I think she would be completely entertaining.

• Love 3

I'm going to call it now. I think the 4 winners will be placed in the exact same order they were called this episode. I think Katie will win, Hoot will come in 2nd Ricky 3rd and Rose 4th. I would like to see it, Hoot win, Ricky 2nd Katie 3rd and Rose 4th.

I can't believe Blake is going to help Kat make a record. I don't get his love for her, it's like Adam and the bathrobe girl.

I don't know who that singer in the orange jumpsuit with the bad enunciation is but if she could get discovered and get a record deal so should some of the singer on the Voice.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I don't know who that singer in the orange jumpsuit with the bad enunciation is but if she could get discovered and get a record deal so should some of the singer on the Voice.

If anyone here is a fan of Love After Lockup, I thought the singer was a dead ringer for one of the girls on that show .  Anyone know who I'm talking about?

What a relief to see Rose make the finals!  While I prefer Marybeth's voice to Katie's, the finalists are ok by me.  Hoping for a Rickey or Hoot win but not expecting it.  Katie will probably be the winner and, when it's all said and done, it won't matter much anyway.

That Australian singer was awful.  Thankful for fast-forward.

Two things regarding Kelly (who I really like).  First, I do not and will not vote for anyone based on their age-old or young-so stop screeching about it. Second, that "Ma on the farm" look might have worked for Maybelle Carter but it doesn't work for Kelly.  Yikes.

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 5

The right 4 artists made it to the final.  My personal preference among them would be 1. Rose, 2. Katie, 3. Ricky, and 4. Hoot.  But I don't think Rose really has much of a chance given that she wasn't in the Top-3 this week.

3 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

Tones and I was an Aussie homeless person who spent the last 3 years living in a van on the streets of Byron Bay while busking to make a living.  She got famous because tourists kept posting videos of her performances online and they kept going viral.   A record producer finally noticed and got her into a studio earlier this year.  Dance Monkey became a huge international hit that is practically unavoidable pretty much everywhere outside the US and I guess it finally made it up there.  While her Voice performance wasn't one her better, she pretty much blew people away after she appeared on Jimmy Fallon. 

I personally think her voice is incredible and that this is one of the catchiest tunes I've heard in a long-time (and her other songs are almost as good). Very few, if any, contestants on The Voice can sound that unique or are capable of writing a dance song this good.

Below is a video of one her first performances of the song on the streets of Byron Bay back in January, before anyone even knew the name of the song.  She sure got the crowd going.

Edited by viajero
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, viajero said:

Tones and I was an Aussie homeless person who spent the last 3 years living in a van on the streets of Byron Bay while busking to make a living.  She got famous because tourists kept posting videos of her performances online and they kept going viral.  

I didn't know she was from Australia so that clears up her enunciation. But I'm sorry I did not think her voice or the song was good so we can agree to disagree about her voice and talent :-)

• Love 2

Tones and I is certainly not to everyone's tastes, but you don't hit No.1 in over 30 countries if there aren't a lot of people who like your music.  Particularly when you don't match the stereotypical image of a pop star.

Thanks @viajero for posting that video!! I actually really liked the song on the show.. and even better in that video.

What is so weird is I've been learning a lot about Byron Bay recently due to the podcast called The Lighthouse about a young guy from Brussels who went missing there. I've been visualizing the area as I listen to the podcast, so its really cool to see this street performer there!!

For anyone who likes true crime/mystery and Australia another really good podcast, IMO, is The Lady Vanishes.  Two others, also from Australia are Who the Hell is Hamish?  and The Teacher's Pet. 

Edited by ChristmasJones
  • Love 1