Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Kim0820 said:

Trina bonds with her over art.  She's not really privy to the bad things Ava did.  Ava is supportive of her.  Trina doesn't make excuses for Ava or have things to forgive her for where she won't forgive another for similar things.  And there's no one else - not a whole gang of people like Carly has.  

I remember there was like one scene where Trina noted that she could see the "Ava that Joss hated/did those bad things" and it warred with the Ava that she knew and respected, and Portia told her that just because Ava did horrible things, doesn't change the fact that Ava is still the person that she loved and respected - it just wasn't one OR the other. she's both. 

Which is what I think Ava was telling Nina (and I don't think it diminishes that Ava should pay for her crimes, should you know people come after her). Nina was basically all "they should suffer" then it went straight too "Ohh no, what if the SEC finds Drew before he finds Lisel. dooom." and Ava wasn't saying its one or the other, it's both

Carly and her spawn see things in black and white that they refuse to see the grey. 

• Like 11
19 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Carly is a first rate cow. Even when she's down, she finds a way to be smug and insufferable.

The absolute fucking worst.  There was less than zero reason for her to throw Nelle in Nina's face, but Carly gets joy out of seeing others suffer (except for her band of Carlys).  She truly is a monster.

• Like 9
  • Applause 7
5 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

The absolute fucking worst.  There was less than zero reason for her to throw Nelle in Nina's face, but Carly gets joy out of seeing others suffer (except for her band of Carlys).  She truly is a monster.

A complete sociopath.

• Like 4
  • Applause 7
1 hour ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I know I'm in the minority here but I think LW does Carly no favors with her snarling delivery. I never see layers with her, even with someone like Ava, with whom she has somewhat buried the hatchet. They could have an interesting tentative peace, and I see that in Ava, but LW just plays hate. 

• Like 12
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, VioletMarx said:

I know I'm in the minority here but I think LW does Carly no favors with her snarling delivery. I never see layers with her, even with someone like Ava, with whom she has somewhat buried the hatchet. They could have an interesting tentative peace, and I see that in Ava, but LW just plays hate. 

I 100% agree with this.  There's no nuance in her delivery.

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, VioletMarx said:

I don't know if you are in the minority or not, but I personally totally agree with you.  I believe Carly has become intolerable for two reasons; terrible writing, and LW's acting choices.  Or her range.  I've never seen her in anything else so I can't say which it is.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 6

No, most agrees with that sentiment. I used to call that look she gave "Righteous Bitch Face". EM really manages to pull it off too. (which is a credit to her as an actress), but as characters it harms Carly/Joss so much because as you said - there are no layers. it's just hate and self-righteousness. 

like right now, people are on Nina for selling Carly out because "omg she does't think about Willow, Nina wanted peace but the second she didn't get her way she called the SEC". but i mean. a simple question of "how was the wedding?"  from Nina turned into what... Carly did. Nina was 1000 percent ready to just be peaceful and Carly has NO inclination of doing so then turns around and wants to play victim. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, VioletMarx said:

know I'm in the minority here but I think LW does Carly no favors with her snarling delivery. I never see layers with her, even with someone like Ava, with whom she has somewhat buried the hatchet. They could have an interesting tentative peace, and I see that in Ava, but LW just plays hate. 

I think the same thing.  Carly has no layers anymore.  She rotates between looking smug to snarling and pouncing.  Sometimes she will look teary and concerned (and I think LW plays these scenes very well) but only when it affects her very small inner circle.  Was she always like this??  I don’t think it used to be this bad.   It’s weird too because IRL Laura Wright seems like such a sunny and bright person.  I have no idea why she’s chosen to go all in on playing this character in this way.

That said, there are no words for how Carly treated Nina.  Everyone has already said everything I’m thinking.  Carly is just a despicable human.  She’s just cruel for the fun of it.  It’s pathetic.

Edited by mostlylurking
  • Like 5
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, CeChase said:

LW's acting choices.  Or her range.  I've never seen her in anything else so I can't say which it is.  

she's just stuck on "Cow" and has been for a long time. When she wants to - she can be really nuanced. but since CARLY is always right RBF seems to reflect that. like not speaking for her (obviously) but why play it layered when I'm always right. 

She was Cassie in Guiding Light (I think that was the show). she seemed a lot mor nuanced there but there is a Lot of Cassie in Carly too. in terms of  range

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

Why is Drew just about always referred to as "Drew Cain" when referred to in the 3rd person? Curtis told Spencer and Trina that "Laura, Valentine and Drew Cain" were with him. Is there another Drew I don't know about?

And, omg, all the "Drew (Cain) has gone to rescue Liesl". Does anyone really think that Laura, Curtis and Valentine weren't going to rescue her while they were rescuing Spencer, Adorable Baby and Trina?

• Like 6
  • LOL 2
(edited)
7 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

Carly has no layers anymore.  She rotates between looking smug to snarling and pouncing.  Sometimes she will look teary and concerned, but only when it affects her very small inner circle.

In contrast, take Tracy/Jane Elliott.  The scenes with Wiley yesterday were so sweet. She really wanted to make a kid she had never met before that day feel better.  Same with her reaction to hearing Willow was ill.  She showed compassion while also never letting us forget Tracy can also be cutthroat.

Speaking of cutthroat, my word Constance Towers looks fabulous.  Even as a hallucination Helena goes nowhere without her pearls and looking impeccable!

Edited by Cheyanne11
  • Like 7
  • Applause 5
26 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

In contrast, take Tracy/Jane Elliott.  The scenes with Wiley yesterday were so sweet. She really wanted to make a kid she had never met before that day feel better.

I wondered if this was out of character for Tracy.  I don't recall her ever being that maternal with Dillon.  She seems like a "don't bother me, go get the nanny" kind of person.

20 minutes ago, ciarra said:

I wondered if this was out of character for Tracy.  I don't recall her ever being that maternal with Dillon.  She seems like a "don't bother me, go get the nanny" kind of person.

She is when the situation is really serious. she was always there for Lulu when Lulu really needed  a mama figure. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3
52 minutes ago, Daisy said:

She is when the situation is really serious. she was always there for Lulu when Lulu really needed  a mama figure.

That was when Lulu had her secret (hee) abortion. Tracy was great in that story.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

"I trust you, I don't trust Dr. Randolph." Michael is being super obnoxious demanding treatment and answers from Baby Doctor TJ.

"Willow will be in a great deal of pain with her enlarged lymph nodes putting pressure on her organs."  Except for the part where most of the lymph nodes are nowhere near the organs. See, this is why you should wait for a qualified doctor.

And after TJ tells Michael that Willow staying in hospital will keep her alive longer, he still thinks that he should take her home. This is why Michael doesn't have the stuff to be a CEO. 

The Quartermaines are as rich as Croesus. Why not put a hospital facility in the house so that Willow can still be with Wylie and Amelia? Oh, right, because then they would have to tell Wylie Mommy is sick.

And now we get T/ telling Carly how brave&strong she is.  Shortly followed by Joss telling Carly how her heart was good so it doesn't matter that she broke th law. 

"Her only chance is a transplant."  Or you could take Tracy up on her offer to reach out to her contacts. Just sayin'.

When Trina hit Evil Nanny over the head, Giant Baby in Spencer's arms looked worried, showing that he is a better actor than 60% of the cast.

If only Anna had been a couple of minutes later, we might have been rid of Drew. That's something I never would have written when Billy Miller was playing him.

They're giving the badass moments to the men fighting and to Anna but Laura is the real hero in the story.

Carly: What Ned did was vindictive and cruel, and that's something I never would have expected from him.  1. however this is precisely how Carly herself behaves and 2. does no one realize that there are shareholders who might do this.

"Ned called in the SEC because my actions made me and Drew vulnerable."  No Carly, because you did something illegal.

3 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

A complete sociopath.

By the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual definition, true.

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

"I trust you, I don't trust Dr. Randolph."

Wow, Terry has been Willow's oncologist from Day One and suddenly Michael doesn't trust her?  He needs to fuck right off.

• Fire 2
  • Applause 13
3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

"Willow will be in a great deal of pain with her enlarged lymph nodes putting pressure on her organs."  Except for the part where most of the lymph nodes are nowhere near the organs. See, this is why you should wait for a qualified doctor.

lmao. I heard that and i was like. excuse me?

Also there was no mention of the possibility that Willow getting an infusion of blood etc, could severely impact her ability to get a donation PERIOD. 

Also Also. why aren't these people LOOKING FOR ANOTHER DONOR. holy moses. 

ALSO also, anyways, I am so sick if Michael. Willow made her wishes clear. You respect it. If she wants to go home and die in her bed. (for the love of God please). you say, OKAY and you go into the kitchen, pump some salsa and sob , get yourself together, and then be there for your wife. THIS IS NO LONGER ABOUT YOU. 

Joss shut the ever loving hell up. Ned and the Q's owe you NOTHING. Carly broke the law.  She wasn't trying to find a cup of sugar or whatever. Stop trying to wax poetic about it. and even if ned DID call in. it's not NED'S fault the SEC decided to show up when they did. law enforcement doesn't CARE. 

Anna looked REALLY good for someone who was out of Surgery yesterday and almost died lol

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 6
Just now, Cheyanne11 said:
8 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I trust you, I don't trust Dr. Randolph."

Wow, Terry has been Willow's oncologist from Day One and suddenly Michael doesn't trust her?  He needs to fuck right off.

Why would Michael not trust Terry??

• Like 1
(edited)

Once the drones are done with Somewhere in Greenland, can they circle back and drop those bombs on GH? 

No, Carly, the road to hell isn't paved with good intentions when you are blatantly breaking the law. It's not like you weren't warned.

Oh, no, writers, threatening to kill Drew? Please don't kill him, what will we ever do without him?

I hate Curtis. He and Drew can die together.

Laura has been great, breaking the vial like it was no biggie. 

I'm bummed that we're probably done with Helena's cameo. They used her a pathetic amount of minutes. Seriously.

So what is Dex's thing here? He wants to turn Sonny in, but is falling in love with him. Tells Sonny and Nina that Willow is at the hospital, but doesn't tell Joss that he told them. It's like he's playing both sides or something.

And because it cannot be said enough, Die, Willow. Just die already. Your lymph nodes are putting pressure on your organs. Just go into the light. 

7 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

Why would Michael not trust Terry??

Cuz he's a dick. And because the show doesn't feel like trotting out Terri.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Like 7
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, Steph J said:

In the absence of Sonny and Carly, who would the show be built around now?

perhaps they wouldn't have decimated the Qs...

14 hours ago, Suicidy said:

Scabs might be a huge improvement in this case.

I think a lot of us here on this board could also do a better job...

• Like 6
  • Useful 2

Everyone else has mentioned what the worst parts of today were, so I will only agree, vehemently.

FFS, Holly, JUST SHOOT VICTOR. This is why he's been able to swan around town for so long. No one takes the fucking shot.

I couldn't care less about what's happening with Michael and Willow. They're both dolts of the highest degree.

• Like 3
  • Applause 8

I just wanted to chime in and say I agree with those who feel LW brings NO layers to the character. I’ve never see her in anything else so I can’t speak to her stellar acting in other roles. All I can say is Carly is a pretty one-dimensional character, and LW seems to have completely bought into the narrative that Carly is always right. That may be why she plays all her scenes the same way and never shows any vulnerability in a scene with an “enemy.” I agree that this hurts Carly more than help her. But that’s JMO. 

I missed the show today but it looks like Michael was an ass (as usual), Willow’s dying (as she has been for the last several months), Jex are still having the same boring conversation about Sonny, and randos continue to praise/prop Carly!!

At least I have the Sprina/HS stuff to look forward to watching!! I’ll miss their adventure. It’s been interesting! 

• Like 5
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Everyone else has mentioned what the worst parts of today were, so I will only agree, vehemently.

FFS, Holly, JUST SHOOT VICTOR. This is why he's been able to swan around town for so long. No one takes the fucking shot.

I couldn't care less about what's happening with Michael and Willow. They're both dolts of the highest degree.

HOLLY SHOULD NOT GET TO SHOOT VICTOR. It should be Laura, dammit. And right after saying, "This is for Luke."

• Like 5
  • Applause 5

HOLLY SHOULD NOT GET TO SHOOT VICTOR. It should be Laura, dammit. And right after saying, "This is for Luke."

At this point, Wiley could shoot Victor and I'd be happy. I'm so tired of people drawing guns on him and doing nothing.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 5

There were good parts:

• CT knocking it out of the ballpark as Evil Helena
  • Sprina moments for their fans (unfortunately Trina forgot to phone Jordan)
  • Ace's reactions to the fighting
  • Laura being badass
  • Obrecht looking impressed by badass Laura

Unfortunately, that's all I've got.

• Like 10
1 minute ago, statsgirl said:

There were good parts:

• CT knocking it out of the ballpark as Evil Helena
  • Sprina moments for their fans (unfortunately Trina forgot to phone Jordan)
  • Ace's reactions to the fighting
  • Laura being badass

Unfortunately, that's all I've got.

Notice how it's all the same storyline. The other half was the Carlys and I don't see anyone clamoring for more.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

This entire Willow-has-been-on-her-deathbed-since-January storyline looks even worse if you've watched "A Million Little Things," where one of their characters had Stage Four cancer, was coughing up blood recently, had no hair, communicated via whiteboard because he could no longer speak, and ultimately died. Willow has always looked and acted perfectly healthy except when she faints.

• Like 7
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 5
  • Love 1

Giant Baby Ace looks like he is teething, with his red cheeks and sticking his fingers in his mouth and waving his hand around his face, He also looked very sleepy.

• Love 2

Interesting observations on the one-note-ness of Carly.  Can't help but wonder if part of the problem is her lack of a real storyline to chew on.  She's always in clunker stories without good acting partners.  Her most interesting interactions of late, to my eye, have been with Ava, and I wouldn't mind seeing more of them. MW has a way of bringing out the best, because she is always at her own best.  

For me, the best version of Carly was when she was with Jax.  There was a lightness there that we don't ever get to see anymore.  Having Drew as a current romantic partner is doing nothing to help that.  

To my mind, the main problem with the acting on the show is that the stories, continuity and connections are so bad.  It's remarkable when a story about the threat of a global pandemic, while actually being in one, is the most intriguing current option.

Just an aside, re: enlarged lymph nodes pressing on organs----that's actually a thing, although much more likely with lymphoma than with leukemia.  We have lymph nodes everywhere.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, Suicidy said:
On 5/2/2023 at 12:39 PM, ffwbe said:

They used scab writers during the last strike so I wouldn’t be surprised if they go that route again. The writers also likely had scripts ready for at least another month so they can still film the completed scripts. It’s just no rewrites or edits can be made on those but I don’t think soaps do that very often once they start filming.

You're probably right. Although I might have expressed myself poorly in a previous post, I am a strong union guy and stand behind the writers. The entertainment industry generates far too much income for the behind-the-scenes talent to not receive just recompense and benefits. I too can deal with "Classic GH" episodes for as long as it takes, or maybe watch old episodes of "That Girl" on Antenna TV during that time slot.  It's all good.

5 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Preach my friend!

5 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:
  • Laura being badass

Forget about Mayor of Port Chuckles!  My vote is Laura for Head of the WSB! Not only was that vial drop badass, it was straight-up Gangsta!

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1

Joss telling Carly she partook in insider trading to “help people.”  Child, sit your ass down with that nonsense.  We all saw your mother peacocking around town talking about how rich she was going to be.  

Also, give me strength with the continued bashing of Ned, who literally did not one thing they’re oh-so-sure he did.  God, the Carlys are the worst.

• Like 5
  • Applause 16
6 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Also, give me strength with the continued bashing of Ned, who literally did not one thing they’re oh-so-sure he did.  God, the Carlys are the worst.

Even if Ned did it, it's nothing the Carlys wouldn't have done. So they can shove that holier than thou attitude when we know full well that Michael has been working to have his father sent to the clink.

• Like 7
  • Applause 10
  • Love 1
(edited)

They just keep going back to crying scenes with Valentin, and it's what JPS is worst at. It's puzzling. He's a good actor otherwise. As Cassadine male actors go, I'm glad it's been seven years and counting of him rather than, say, Robert Kelker-Kelly (not even for all the #metoo stuff, but because I thought his Stavros was a camp embarrassment). I just wish they'd stop writing to his weaknesses. 

I don't know if I'm going to be able to watch much more of this story about the SEC charges. It's everything that's bad about the writing for Carly and her circle. Like Carly would have considered it cruel and vindictive if Michael had done it to some business enemy. She'd have thrown in the person's face whatever bad deed they'd committed in the past, then smugly told them if they can't do the time, don't do the crime. She's showing more outrage over this than she did the time Sonny got Jax deported. (And also, on that subject, Sonny can fuck off with his "You mess with one of us, you mess with all of us." I don't remember him being very conflicted about the ramifications for Josslyn at that time. He saw an opportunity to stick it to an enemy, and he did it.)

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Like 12
  • Applause 1

Valentin’s Torture Face is just as bad as his Cry Face. Somebody please buy JPS a hand mirror.

I’m not pleased that Spencer and Trina have been sidelined in a story that I thought would give them a chance to update Summer on the Run. But that’s GH— always teasing, never delivering.

Will a strike mean Willow hangs in limbo for months? Because although I support the writers, I will happily cross the picket line if they will just let me script her death scene, already.

• Like 2
  • LOL 14
9 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Joss telling Carly she partook in insider trading to “help people.”  Child, sit your ass down with that nonsense.  We all saw your mother peacocking around town talking about how rich she was going to be.  

the thing is - even if Ned did it - the hell does Ned owe Carly? Carly is going around like "how could Ned do this to me, because I'm Michael's mother, and Michael is going through a lot so  how dare he!!"  

and you know the refrain is going to be "you only did it because you didn't to the wedding" when they "find out it was Nina."   but if Martin called earlier that day - there is no way the SEC would have gotten all that stuff prepared to throw into Carly's face that night.  They probably were already investigating into it and the tip gave them what they needed to act,. 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Daisy said:

the thing is - even if Ned did it - the hell does Ned owe Carly? Carly is going around like "how could Ned do this to me, because I'm Michael's mother, and Michael is going through a lot so  how dare he!!"  

Carly believes the sun shines out her ass and everyone should love and praise her.  Or, at the very least, respect her.  Total sociopath.

• Like 15
11 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

The Carlys think that there are defenses or excuses for breaking the law, none of which really are.  If doesn't matter that your daughter-in-law has cancer; you get arrested anyway.  It doesn't matter who you were trying to protect or help; it's still illegal.  It doesn't matter if you have small children.  

It doesn't matter who gave law enforcement the tip, nor do their actual motives matter.  If there is proof you did the crime, it will be presented to the court. In fact, in reality you find that is the criminal mindset.  They did what they had to do for good reasons and therefore, the law should not be applied to them.  That's criminality in a nutshell.  Carlys are only safe for society until they need to break the law.  

• Like 5
  • Applause 8
2 hours ago, Daisy said:

and you know the refrain is going to be "you only did it because you didn't to the wedding" when they "find out it was Nina."   but if Martin called earlier that day - there is no way the SEC would have gotten all that stuff prepared to throw into Carly's face that night.  They probably were already investigating into it and the tip gave them what they needed to act,. 

There you go, being logical. It's crazy that the SEC would get a tip and immediately go to interrogate the alleged person without checking it out first (and how did they know that Carly was at the Quartermaines?) but the show is preparing for that with several characters already saying "when it's the government's money they move fast".

I'm just clutching at straws because I really don't want to see Nina (or the current pariah) get blamed again for calling out the Carlys when they behave badly. It kills the show for me.

• Like 11

I wish they'd stop writing Nina as having second thoughts about asking Martin to drop the dime on Carly and Drew. (And of course it's Drew who is suddenly the SEC's Public Enemy Number One; what?!) Of course the blowback is going to affect more than just Carly and Drew, you dingdong. Nothing happens in a vacuum. Gah.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, dubbel zout said:

And of course it's Drew who is suddenly the SEC's Public Enemy Number One; what?!)

Such a menace to society that the SEC would track him around the world.  The SEC!  Sounds totally plausible.

• LOL 4

Whatever happened to the soul-searching -- not to mention JOB searching -- Carly was going to do when she lost the hotel? Not only did her plane get diverted, but so did that whole SL. Now even though her bank account's been frozen, all the rich men in her life will be there to make sure she doesn't suffer one iota of discomfort. 

I understand what some of you are saying about Ava not really suffering any consequences for the Nikolas situation, but that seems to be the unfortunate consequence of whatever the hell is happening behind the scenes. Under ordinary circumstances, Ava and Austin would be running around trying to figure out where he actually is. I think Mason has said enough to let Austin know he has him, but nothing is going on with that, plot-wise -- again, I think because they're trying to figure out the casting. So Ava is just in a holding pattern.

• Like 8
36 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I understand what some of you are saying about Ava not really suffering any consequences for the Nikolas situation, but that seems to be the unfortunate consequence of whatever the hell is happening behind the scenes.

Seriously.  This storyline has just disappeared.  I'm sure it will start up again, but it's almost comical how it's just poof, gone.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Carly doesn't tell Nina that Willow fainted. 
Michael finds out Nina is there and is like "Oh, I can't deal with them, I'll get them to leave."
Nina sees Michael, legit  takes a step back and goes. "I'm not here to cause trouble, I won't see Willow." but Willow goes no I wanna see Nina.

Carly is all "I am going to check on the grandkid to see if BLQ/Tracy aren't teaching the bad habits. (which RICH).

Nina comes in looking eager. Willow goes "I need you to do something for me." Nina goes EVERYTHING, and Willow has the unmitigated gall to say "Leave Carly alone?" Are you kidding me?

Just drop dead, you dumb bunny

• Like 6
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 8
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Daisy said:

Carly doesn't tell Nina that Willow fainted. 
Michael finds out Nina is there and is like "Oh, I can't deal with them, I'll get them to leave."
Nina sees Michael, legit  takes a step back and goes. "I'm not here to cause trouble, I won't see Willow." but Willow goes no I wanna see Nina.

Carly is all "I am going to check on the grandkid to see if BLQ/Tracy aren't teaching the bad habits. (which RICH).

Nina comes in looking eager. Willow goes "I need you to do something for me." Nina goes EVERYTHING, and Willow has the unmitigated gall to say "Leave Carly alone?" Are you kidding me?

Just drop dead, you dumb bunny

OMG.  This will be an instant FF.  I refuse to watch that truly twisted sicko Willow say that to Nina, on her freaking deathbed!  WTF???

• Like 2
  • Applause 8
  • Love 2