Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

I have nothing to say about Josslyn other than I wanted to reach through the screen and punch her for her total lack of empathy to Adam. Yes Joss, the important thing is that Adam tell everyone that you took him to the hospital, and not that he is so scared of his parents that he feels that he has to lie to them. A true Carly, and someone who should not be allowed around patients.

I don't know; I'm on Joss's side here, at least as far as Adam not lying to other students about what happened.

But then, I'm losing patience with this story.

• Like 2

I was just thinking that seeing his parents berate him for not getting perfect scores on his premed tests would be a lot more effective than hearing only his side of a phone conversation. For all we know, he's putting all of that pressure on himself and overreacting to his parents comments.

But what I want most is for this story to move along in a significant manner.

ETA: But what will probably happen is Adam ODs on those pills and Joss finds him unconscious, takes him to the ER, and scolds his parents for making him so miserable. This, of course, is the wakeup call they've needed, and they let Adam major in whatever he wants, which turns out to be folklore, his first love.

• Like 2
  • LOL 6

Let's appreciate the irony that lying is Joss's line in the sand that can't be crossed or you can't have her friendship.  So, by  her own words, when she finds out Michael has known about Nina being the whistleblower she's going to cut off her relationship with him, right?  (Insert laugh track)

• Like 9

I don't blame Joss for her reaction, this guy she helped and missed her test for lies about her.  If he lies about her once he can do it for other things to save himself.  

She should have nothing to do with him now.  

Spencer acted like Ace was moving across the world.  He going down the street.  

• Like 2

BL and Cody should have been paired together. With her propensity for dumb schemes and him being a grifter, I think they could have been the fun pairing that age group sorely needed. Instead, BL got watered down to be more parable for goody goody Chase and I see Cody going the same route with Sasha so we’re left with 2 more bland couples to join the even more bland Michael/Willow. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 9

Ye gods today was boring.  I found Martin "no ethics" Gray and snappish Alexis particularly irritating.  If you're going to coach Finn, tell him what to say and when to say it.  Quit lording your superiority over him.

Liz, you think your kid is so stupid that he's never heard of malpractice?  

How long can three grown ups yammer about a tree?

Yesterday.  Dante, chain of evidence.  When you got that key, and kept it to yourself, you interfered with a criminal investigation.

And the Austin investigation?  Spare me.  No one cares he's dead.  Not even Maxie, who dated him for a minute.  And James is probably sick because Maxie lets him eat dessert first.  And wouldn't Deception have a receptionist that could be called by Flea or the school, should Maxie's phone be off?  Besides the kid has a doctor looking after him, and his grandma.  Why the hell does he need Maxie?

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

Finn's behavior during his rehearsal is completely on-brand -- for the character he was in his first year or two. But they've mostly been focused on his non-doctor interactions, in which he's been perfectly human and not overly arrogant. So it's another case of 60 to 0 to 60. 

In the preview for today's episode,

Spoiler

Curtis is saying something like "Is this a possibility for me?" to Portia. And of course they might be talking about anything, including secondary health conditions,but somehow I'm expecting a Christmas Miracle Experimental Surgery.

Edited by Auntie Velvet
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
19 hours ago, tessabq said:

Watching Jeff Kober reminds me that GH has several great actors. Now, if it only had decent writers. Notice I'm not even wishing for great writers, just decent ones. Sigh

you know who would make a great PC power couple?  Cyrus and Ava.  Mainly because they are the two strongest actors on the show and their scenes would sparkle. So..... I'm not holding my breath.....

Edited by MarciNJ
  • Like 3
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, ciarra said:

Not even Maxie, who dated him for a minute. 

And he delivered Bailey Lou, but Maxie barely remembers her never mind who helped bring her into this world.

16 hours ago, Artsda said:

don't blame Joss for her reaction, this guy she helped and missed her test for lies about her.  If he lies about her once he can do it for other things to save himself.  

She should have nothing to do with him now.  

I agree.  Adam needs help dealing with his issues, but that doesn’t make him Joss’ responsibility.  On the other hand, it’s pretty easy for Joss to tell Adam he should be doing what he wants and not worry so much about his parents.  She has safety nets and privileges money can buy so these are things that don’t really cross her mind.  

I thought Spencer’s goodbye was sweet.  Even though they will be close by, they will not be under the same roof and it’s not the same.  Especially with Spencer’s feelings of abandonment I can see why this would be hard for him.  It is for the best though (and will be healthier for everyone).

I also wanted to comment on Jeff Kober’s performance a couple days ago.  This guy is so good.  And he speaks a lot of truth.  Laura is a hypocrite.  She cavorts with criminals constantly.  I understand if she doesn’t want to add another to her roster, but at least acknowledge that.

I lost all respect for Martin after he folded like a cheap suit because of Michael out of all people.  He and Alexis were being ridiculous, they weren’t giving Finn any constructive criticism or telling him what he should be saying, they were just looking down on him.

I know this has been mentioned many times but I have to join in and say Jake is such a mini Jason!  Great casting there.  He reminds me so much of Jason when he was young with the spikey hair.

Edited by mostlylurking
  • Like 9

Is there nothing Marshall can't do? He plays a mean clarinet, he remembers everything about Curtis as a toddler, he makes a mean turkey gumbo, he decorates trees with every ornament known to mankind...

I was unmoved by his breakdown, mostly because he was such an asshole when he first returned to Port Charles. That is all on him.

This show, man. Having babies is supposed to be the goal of every woman, but becoming a grandmother is something to dread because it means you're old and a dried-up crone. UGH.

I know I'm supposed to be thinking "Oh, noes! Carly is flirting with the bad guy!" but instead I'm hoping he takes her hostage and goes incommunicado for a while.

LOL that the Pikeman/WSB guy sort of hides from Robert. Not all Australians know one another, Show. 

Gregory is as obstinate as his son when it comes to the malpractice lawsuit. How many times does Alexis have to explain how things work to these dummies?

Wow, Portia, way to obliterate Curtis's privacy and boundaries by submitting his medical records without his knowledge.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

LOL that the Pikeman/WSB guy sort of hides from Robert. Not all Australians know one another, Show.

I assumed he was hiding because Robert might recognize him given he’s ex-WSB himself but he did such a poor job of it, maybe not 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
11 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I think it has more to do with him being the WSB director than being Australian. He was the one who essentially fired her from her job and he's not an unknown variable to Robert. The WSB director being in PC would raise questions, especially with that Forsythe guy being dead.

• Like 5
23 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I assumed he was hiding because Robert might recognize him given he’s ex-WSB himself

11 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I think it has more to do with him being the WSB director than being Australian. He was the one who essentially fired her from her job and he's not an unknown variable to Robert. The WSB director being in PC would raise questions, especially with that Forsythe guy being dead.

I prefer my interpretation, you buzzkills!

• LOL 12

Did they decide to put the boring stories all into one episode? Lucy and Scott were nice but while I like Alexis' friendship with Gregory, I really don't care about this malpractice case. Finn said that he told the patient to come back for more tests, the man didn't. All I need to know.

I think that Alexis is better in friendship stories rather than romantic ones.

Kelly's is small enough already; why is Carly taking up a table to do her paperwork? Isn't that what offices are for?

A BLT with coleslaw just feels weird. Fries with a BLT, coleslaw with chicken

Marshall reminiscing about his past Christmases works better than Ambien.

I find it hard to believe that a paralyzed man could walk after 11 days because his muscles would have atrophied. But I guess we're getting a Curtis Christmas miracle.

Diane should be professional enough to be civil to Gregory even if she is on the other side of the case.

Why is Gregory Chase's son called Hamilton Finn? Who changed their last name and why?

Who is the ex-spy security consultant that Sonny uses? Brick? Because Anna doesn't work for him.

Why is the show torturing me with Robert/Diane? They just don't fit as a couple. Both deserve better.

On 12/6/2023 at 5:17 PM, dubbel zout said:

I don't know; I'm on Joss's side here, at least as far as Adam not lying to other students about what happened.

He didn't like to other students though, he lied to his parents because he couldn't tell them the truth, that he had a panic attack. And even with the lie, they were angry that he helped out a fellow student instead of finishing the test.

Ironically later yesterday I was at a workshop on cultural competency where they role played the parents of a university student in the emergency room berating him for not studying hard enough to get the marks that they want and bringing shame to the family. It could have been Adam's parents except for the parts that were in Cantonese.

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

I know I'm supposed to be thinking "Oh, noes! Carly is flirting with the bad guy!" but instead I'm hoping he takes her hostage and goes incommunicado for a while.

I hope so too, but it would probably more like the Ransom of Red Chief.

At least now we know why it was Drew who had to go to Australia.

• Like 7
29 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

A BLT with coleslaw just feels weird.

I happened to get a BLT recently at the diner I eat at regularly, and a little pot of coleslaw came with it. It comes with nearly every sandwich, even burgers. You have to order fries (or onion rings, my preference) separately. It's annoying. 

On 12/6/2023 at 5:17 PM, dubbel zout said:

He didn't like to other students though, he lied to his parents because he couldn't tell them the truth, that he had a panic attack. And even with the lie, they were angry that he helped out a fellow student instead of finishing the test.

I know; Joss asked him not to lie if/when he told the story to other students. She didn't like it that he lied to his parents, but there wasn't much she could do about it in the moment. And I reiterate that actually seeing his tyrannical parents—once is plenty—would be a lot more effective than hearing Adam's one-sided phone calls with them.

The other side of the world isn't nearly far enough away from Carly.

• LOL 4
36 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Diane should be professional enough to be civil to Gregory even if she is on the other side of the case.

(…)

Why is the show torturing me with Robert/Diane? They just don't fit as a couple. Both deserve better.

If it wasn’t for his illness, I could see Gregory and Diane giving it shot instead.

WSB/Pikeman guy gave off creepy more than flirty today. I don’t want creepy. I want hot and mysterious and I’ll probably have to find it somewhere else…

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
39 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Why is Gregory Chase's son called Hamilton Finn? Who changed their last name and why?

Finn changed his last name after he slept with his father's almost wife and blamed Gregory for marrying too soon after his mother died. Finn is his mother's last name IIRC.

42 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Hope he gets lost in the Outbacks and never comes back.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

I really don't care about this malpractice case. Finn said that he told the patient to come back for more tests, the man didn't. All I need to know.

Agreed. I don't get it. Because of a strong family history of ovarian cancer, I am supposed to have an ultrasound every 6 months. Often they find a little growth or something and the doctor (of course) says to come back for another scan or biopsy or whatever. But sometimes I don't. (I choose to see if it will just resolve.) What is the doctor supposed to do, call all of his patients who are not following up as directed and convince them to come in? Not his job, and it would be impossible time-wise to track hundreds of patients. ...having said that, if my doctor looked like ME and talked like Batman, I'd probably go in more often.

• Like 4
  • LOL 9

It sounded like the crux of Finn’s malpractice case was that he didn’t order additional testing during the patient’s first visit and only tested for a tapeworm since the patient said that’s what he thought he had. However, I don’t think that would be in the scope of an infectious disease doctor. 

• Like 1

I was touched by Spencer’s chat with Ace. His words to Trina later should resonate with her. Taggert raised Trina from birth, right? Hopefully she sees him even if we don’t. 

NAC has been a natural with them and the baby twins in the role are adorable. Now that Mama’s thankfully got a brand new place, she needs her memory back to either atone or own her evil. Something. 

I know Curtis wants out of that chair, but Curtis should have made the call to pursue the procedure. His body. “Portia knows best” cost him years with his child. 

I’m a newbie returnee and I could not feel too much for Marshall, but yes, live in the present and do better is the way when given a second chance. 

LW has some spark with spy guy. Mathison there’s just zilch.

Recasting can lead to wonderful things as we have seen with NAC and Tabyana on the cover of the collector’s edition People magazine after Trina was recast, but I have long felt the show needs to know when to take the L. 

Sticking a recast in there is unfair to the recast sometimes. In total candor, Miller’s death also makes it tricky for me.

Hoping Faux Drew runs into a dingo. The actor has GAF. 

Edited by ComeWhatMay
Italics
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I really don't care about this malpractice case. Finn said that he told the patient to come back for more tests, the man didn't. All I need to know.

Medical malpractice is extremely hard to prove because of all the unknown factors that might be in play (as Finn was trying to explain while doing that ridiculous role playing with Alexis and Martin).  In this case it seems pretty cut and dried for the exact reason you stated….Finn told him to come back and he didn’t.  Unless we find out this family is extremely wealthy/criminal/a combination of the two I don’t see a reason for concern here.

• Like 5
11 hours ago, mostlylurking said:
17 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Medical malpractice is extremely hard to prove because of all the unknown factors that might be in play (as Finn was trying to explain while doing that ridiculous role playing with Alexis and Martin).  In this case it seems pretty cut and dried for the exact reason you stated….Finn told him to come back and he didn’t.  Unless we find out this family is extremely wealthy/criminal/a combination of the two I don’t see a reason for concern here.

My concern is that I have to watch all of this unfold and end up with the case being dismissed, though that would be TFGH. I'd rather see Finn face some consequences, however ridiculous, than have yet another story fizzle out to nothing.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, ciarra said:

Hatman and Irene.

I wish people would come back from the dead and tell me what I want to hear, instead of just calling me a dumbazz.

Not to mention...I don't care.  Irene was never a character on the show and Marshall is basically there to yes Curtis into infinity, so why do we need his origin story?  Talk about filler.  

Also, with the full realization this is me being uber-critical because I don't like the character, but I rolled my eyes at the notion of Curtis, a forty-something, never before married, former undercover cop and drug addict, having a massive collection of Christmas ornaments.

• Like 8
  • LOL 3
28 minutes ago, threebluestars said:

I was wondering if Tracy was reacting to something about Bobbie.

I thought the same thing. As much as I love Jane Elliott, I’m not sure why we had scenes of her mourning Luke, outside of making it the reason why she’ll be a grinch to Olivia and Lois.

And I’m a grinch to O&L too because man that was a boring convo. 

An essentially boring episode that felt like Dec. 23 when we have weeks to go before then, so weird.

Its only redeeming quality is that Anna and Valentin, the world’s biggest doofus, are finally done. Suffering through Valentin’s ridiculous arguments was a pain though.

• Like 5

It rubbed me the wrong way that Lois and Olivia were bent out of shape that the Q mansion wasn't decorated for the holidays yet. Olivia's excuse about her and Monica having different tastes was a bit too convenient, given we know Monica is on one of her endless medical-conference odysseys. At least they're going to decorate themselves. And there's nothing wrong with an artificial tree. It's what goes on it that makes it elegant or tacky.

I'm sorry, Olivia takes people as they are and doesn't try to make them what she wants them to be? Making Ned who she wants him to be is all she's be doing with him.

A Connie mention that of course isn't flattering. FFS. The woman is dead. Can't she be left in peace? And side note: I thought while she wasn't the hell-raiser Olivia was, she wasn't exactly Pollyanna either. But I guess if you have the nerve to want a life beyond Bensonhurst, you're always going to be sneered at, dead or not.

The whole zia/auntie explanation was embarrassing. None of that is exclusive to Italians.

Valentin has a lot of nerve being shirty with Anna. I'm glad he's not pining for her, but he still hasn't given Anna a heartfelt apology for keeping her in the dark about Charlotte terrorizing her. (That "I'm sorry" at the end wasn't enough.) And he's continuing to make excuses for Charlotte.

Once again, Molly and TJ are acting as if having a baby is a done deal because Kristina is the new surrogate. Kristina hasn't even seen a gynecologist for a checkup about this.

Man, they are really beating the "things don't have to be perfect" idea into the ground with Violet et al. And Finn is being a huge baby about decorating the tree. 

Thank Jasus I could mute Violet singing.

15 minutes ago, Desperado said:

An essentially boring episode that felt like Dec. 23 when we have weeks to go before then, so weird.

It really did have that "killing time before the holiday break" feel.

• Like 5

I liked Molly's observation that the person giving the help is the one who is in control.

I don't trust TJ with his prejudice against Kristina ("You're the smart one, Sam's the capable one (!!!), Kristina's the impulsive one"); when their kid screws up, and they all do, he will blame Kristina.

I also really liked how Finn and Liz handled Violet saying that she picked the perfect tree. Ciurtis/Portia, Carly, Michael, Willow, Joss would all have agreed that the tree was perfect. Finn led into a conversation with Violet that the tree was perfect for them because of its flaws.

Don't people try out the tree lights before putting them on the tree instead of putting them on and then hoping that they work?

I remember Olivia's decorating when Monica put her foot down. Tacky.

Valentin,that Anna shooting Charlotte confirms Charlotte's beliefs is your problem, not Anna's. She's so done with you. Also, low blow,

18 hours ago, ciarra said:

Remember last year, when Curtis and Portia had 5 Christmas trees?

Weren't they white and blue and so fake? And Curtis was being pissy and refusing to move back in?

52 minutes ago, threebluestars said:

Jophielle Love can really sing! Brooklyn should sign her lol.

Sign her as a song writer too because that was better than any of the ones Brook Lynn has produced.

• Like 5

Weren't they white and blue and so fake? And Curtis was being pissy and refusing to move back in?

I think this is the Rory died a minute ago, let's party, Christmas.  Wasn't Valentine's Day the wedding?

Five trees are overkill, imo.  Even the Q's and the Corinthii don't have 5.

• Like 2

I don’t like TJ shading the sister-in-law who will carry and birth a child for him and his wife. 

Valentin, your daughter needs to be deprogrammed. From Charlotte to Esmé, those who are able to be led to hurt others badly, need help themselves. 

The rest of it was fluff that I am guessing could be done by the temporary people while the regular writers caught up, rescripted, and maybe while they shot some stuff out of sequence due to the NAC LOA. Hopefully anyway… 

• Like 4

Olivia and Lois lol'ing about their wild days, being grounded, giving their parents hell and yet somehow not mentioning the giant pregnant 15-year-old Olivia elephant waltzing thru the room.  Like, I'm sure Mom and Dad weren't thrilled you rearranged the saint statues in Sister Plot Point's office, but I think the teen pregnancy was probably a tad higher on their list of worries.

Randomly, I loathe the color of the Q foyer. 

• Like 6

Why are these 2 non Quartermaines and Cody  decorating the entire Q house?  Brooklyn couldn't have stayed? 

Loved the mention of Reginald and Alan's train at least. 

Cute Mickey mouse wreath Violet/Finn have. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Like 2

I also want to call B.S. on the arson investigation. 

First of all, you'd have to go through a bramble hedge backwards several times to tear clothing.  And said clothing probably wouldn't have enough DNA on it to test, in my never seen an episode of CSI opinion.  And if you were committing a crime, I think you'd take a little care not to leave clothing scraps behind.

And I still want Anna to pistol whip Valentin.  What a wuss.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
On 12/6/2023 at 9:51 PM, Artsda said:

Spencer acted like Ace was moving across the world.  He going down the street.  

This is such a weird trope, (but I'll give a slight pass on Spencer's age). It is in comedies all the time (ex. Full House when Jess and Becky were planning to move out after they got married, but Michelle was really upset, so the attic was converted into a large suite). I lived with my aunts and uncles for several years when I was a kid, but eventually they all moved out, and while I didn't see them constantly, I still saw them all at least a few times a month because they stilled lived in the same area. It is not hard.

On 12/6/2023 at 9:54 PM, ffwbe said:

BL and Cody should have been paired together. With her propensity for dumb schemes and him being a grifter, I think they could have been the fun pairing that age group sorely needed. Instead, BL got watered down to be more parable for goody goody Chase and I see Cody going the same route with Sasha so we’re left with 2 more bland couples to join the even more bland Michael/Willow. 

The  current pool of Soap Opera writers is both shallow and polluted.

On 12/7/2023 at 5:57 PM, statsgirl said:

Did they decide to put the boring stories all into one episode? Lucy and Scott were nice but while I like Alexis' friendship with Gregory, I really don't care about this malpractice case. Finn said that he told the patient to come back for more tests, the man didn't. All I need to know.---

I'm not watching, but I hoping that this malpractice case is treated is a minor side story, maybe something screwball, because malpractice is part and partial to being a doctor. Healthcare is the most personal thing at best and life and death at  worse, so just about everyone sues. It is why you sign a million forms at the doctor's office. My dad had to keep his malpractice insurance up to date when he was practicing. 

I find it hard to believe that a paralyzed man could walk after 11 days because his muscles would have atrophied. But I guess we're getting a Curtis Christmas miracle.---

Sonny had the Christmas miracle first. He deserved to be paralyzed.

The nice thing about Law and Order is that unless the opposing consul was super corrupt, they were civil and quite friendly to each other, even grabbing drinks afterwards sometimes. Diane is a professional who not only has been doing this for decades, works for one of the most corrupt individuals on this show. 

Why is the show torturing me with Robert/Diane? They just don't fit as a couple. Both deserve better.----

The writers write on easy mode and don't jettison things when they don't work. That is the thing with some characters, they might be totally great, but it doesn't mean they work as a couple. Her and Max were inspired and made a weird amount of sense and the actors worked well together.

• Like 2

The thing with Robert and Diane is that I will never buy he'll ever put her before Robin/grandkids, Anna or Holly. Those five people will always be a bigger priority for him. I admit my own personal bias is probably coming into play because I do not like Diane at all.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I like Diane, but she's completely wrong for Robert. I hate that they both seem to be settling for each other because there's no one else. It's gross.

It is, although I have seen that in my own life and the unhappy results. 

I personally fast forwarded her singing and moved along to the next scene, but Violet/the young actress is getting crushed on X. I really wonder about parents who put their kids out there to that degree. 

• Mind Blown 3
1 hour ago, ComeWhatMay said:

It is, although I have seen that in my own life and the unhappy results. 

I personally fast forwarded her singing and moved along to the next scene, but Violet/the young actress is getting crushed on X. I really wonder about parents who put their kids out there to that degree. 

I've seen it.  People on Twitter need to grow  up and become adults themselves.  There's no need to go after a child that way, even if it's just the character.  That is a child and not yet mature enough to know it's not personal.  I mean, even Laura Wright is not mature enough to know that yet, and this actress is nowhere near her big age. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 6
5 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

Her and Max were inspired and made a weird amount of sense and the actors worked well together.

Diane and Max worked very well, partly because she has no qualms about working for a mob boss (and his stepson) and dong whatever it takes to win.

Robert is even more moral than Anna is and d I find it impossible to believe that he would just hand wave some of Diane's nastier blows especially the ones to innocent people  They're not as bad as Carly/Drew  but that could be because they have less screentime.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1