Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

It was great to see Zander, although he was turning bad by this time.  I always liked the sweet love story with him and the REAL Emily.  Plus, he could act which was a bonus.  Wonder what ever happened to the actor?

• Love 5

So you can set your reminders, from  TV Source Magazine:

Episodes airing:
Michael takes a bullet intended for Sonny (OAD: 4/04/08)
Michael confesses to killing Claudia (OAD: 5/4/10)
Michael is sentenced to prison. (OAD: 9/30/10)
Sonny visits Kristina at the hospital (OAD: 1/06/11)
Sonny tells Kristina about Parker (OAD: 7/25/16)

Seriously, Parker ? Who cares about Parker?

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And what’s this? A time when Nik LIKED Jaysus and helped him with the mob stuff????

In this episode, everyone like Jaysus. And Liz went to speak to Zander that working for Faith is sooo dangerous but she's fine with those who work for Sonny's gang.

• Love 1

Didn't get to watch the whole thing, but I did catch some glimpses that I am glad to see. It was comforting seeing people that aren't there anymore. I know this theme song was popular, and for good reason, but I always like soap theme songs that tell you the characters' names.

Some hotties back then! Ric looked amazing. Even Scott looked good in his take charge of bringing down Sonny mode.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

This week is the best of Jason and Sam. Great. Another terrible relationship getting the spotlight.

The best of Jason was when BM played him.

Sage looks like Ursula the sea witch when she turned human and tried to marry the prince.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

The best of Jason was when BM played him.

Because he had a personality and was finally allowed to be his own person and wanted more for himself than being constantly running to Sonny and Carly's rescue because they stubbed a toe?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:

Because he had a personality and was finally allowed to be his own person and wanted more for himself than being constantly running to Sonny and Carly's rescue because they stubbed a toe?

Which is why Carly ALWAYS knew he wasn't really Jason! Because Jason would never put anyone or anything above her and Sonny...::rme::

• Love 5
(edited)
15 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Michael confesses to killing Claudia (OAD: 5/4/10)

This is the only one I'm interested in rewatching because I really loved Garret's portrayal of Michael.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 3
(edited)

What fresh hell is this? I tune in today just to see what ep is airing and I’m assaulted with Courtney. Ugh. 

OMG, and now Natalia Livingston's Emily. Fucking hell.

Edited by DanaMB
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

This episode originally aired in 2004 right after Sam's baby died after Sam was induced to  give baby Kristina the stem cells.....

Alexis sits vigil over Kristina, waiting for the surgery to begin.  Meanwhile Jason sits vigil over Sam.  Liz reaches out to Jason and tells him to be there for Sam when she wakes up.  Courtney reaches out to Jason as well.    

Ric hands Sonny a restraining order to stay away from Alexis and Kristina.  Sonny tears it up because Kristina is HIS daughter.  

Nikolas has a creepy doppleganger named Connor who's getting flirty with Emily.  

Carly is on the outs with Sonny because she knew the truth about Kristina's paternity.   Lois (not played by Rena Sofer) tells Lorenzo that Carly is available.  

Corben Bernsen is playing Carly's dad.  He's bought her a house so she can get out from under Sonny.  Dylan Cash is playing Michael and is a major little snot who deserved a smack.

Jason tells Sam that her baby died.  

1 minute ago, perkie1968 said:

Nikolas has a creepy doppleganger named Connor who's getting flirty with Emily. 

RETCON! Because we all SAW the picture of original Connor when Mary first showed up. Guess Guzarsehole wasn't thinking too far ahead when he penned that stoopid story.

2 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Corben Bernsen is playing Carly's dad.

WASTE of such a wonderful actor. And to be saddled playing the SheBeast's father.  UGH.  So I was thrilled to see him as Henry Spencer on Psych a few years later.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Ric hands Sonny a restraining order to stay away from Alexis and Kristina.  Sonny tears it up because Kristina is HIS daughter.

Sonny's annoyance at the restraining order cracked me up, because he's done so much worse. A restraining order is amateur hour when it comes to Sonny's kids.

Who was the guy Jason barked at in Sam's room? Was it OG Steven Lars? He didn't look very doctorlike. ETA: It is OG Steven Lars. 

Oooooh, Ted King is back with good hair and looks fantastic. Rowr.

OG Mike! Nice to see Ron Hale. 

It's a ride to see all the different title sequences over the years.

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

I nominate this moment as an indicator of the time when Sonny began moving from being the "mobster with the heart of gold" that Scotty mentioned in yesterday's episode to the a$$hole he is today (in spite of what apologist Lois was saying). Even his scenes with Jason about Sam's losing the baby were really all about him. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Had to keep reminding myself Sam and Alexis didn’t know yet that they were mother and daughter.   

I liked that version of Steven Lars.  He should up for parole soon, no???  I’d be happy for him to come back to town.  

Fake Nick (Fick?) with his guy-lites.  🤦🏻‍♀️  I also had forgotten there was a FLois at one point, too.  

ETA: Carly, always the stellar mother.  Bringing 8? 9? year old SLS to the hospital to “console” his dad over the loss of his stillborn baby with another woman?  Who does that???  

Edited by geauxaway
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

Why did Lois care so much about whether Lorenzo and Carly got back together?

6 minutes ago, rur said:

Even his scenes with Jason about Sam's losing the baby were really all about him.

Given that it was Sonny's baby, I'd say this is one of the few times Sonny can legitimately make it about him. 

"Maybe Kristina and Cameron can play together one day." Oh, Ric. That could have been nice, but they SORASed Kristina and made her an idiot.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
51 minutes ago, rur said:

I nominate this moment as an indicator of the time when Sonny began moving from being the "mobster with the heart of gold" that Scotty mentioned in yesterday's episode

I'm pretty sure that it was Jax who said that to Sam. He was trying to convince her not to get drawn into Mooby's bubble; and how he knew otherwise strong women who did and lived or not lived to regret it. I know that Brenda was one of them, but not sure who the second one was. Please! NOT the SheBeast.

2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Sonny's annoyance at the restraining order cracked me up, because he's done so much worse.

Not so much now, because they seem to have reached an agreement, but can you imagine if something had happened to Avery a couple years ago and Ava had the nerve to want to see her daughter?  Sonny would've threatened her with death if she even set foot in the hospital.  But he finds out his ONS produced Kristina and he's already pissing on her leg to claim rights. 

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

they seem to have reached an agreement,

I don't think Ava and Sonny have an agreement so much as a status quo. I'll never understand why Ava doesn't try to get a better custody deal of Avery. Ava gets hassled every time she drops by the house to see Avery, and Carly especially loves to thwart any attempt of Ava's to see Avery. It's gross on so many levels.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I don't think Ava and Sonny have an agreement so much as a status quo. I'll never understand why Ava doesn't try to get a better custody deal of Avery. Ava gets hassled every time she drops by the house to see Avery, and Carly especially loves to thwart any attempt of Ava's to see Avery. It's gross on so many levels.

Yes, status quo is a better description.  And yes, it's totally gross the way Carly, especially, treats Ava.  The "custody arrangement" comes down to the writers not even caring about anything other than showing Sonny and Carly as the winners in any and all situations. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm pretty sure that it was Jax who said that to Sam. He was trying to convince her not to get drawn into Mooby's bubble; and how he knew otherwise strong women who did and lived or not lived to regret it. I know that Brenda was one of them, but not sure who the second one was. Please! NOT the SheBeast.

Alexis.

• Love 2

Gah I’d forgotten about Nik’s bad-toupeed doppelgänger.  Must have blocked it out.  

*small voice* I find Carly far less annoying when LW is not playing her.  She still sucks though.

Alexis does not age.  Just changes her hair color now and then.

Hi dude from LA Law!  

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Kiki777 said:

Gah I’d forgotten about Nik’s bad-toupeed doppelgänger.  Must have blocked it out.  

*small voice* I find Carly far less annoying when LW is not playing her.  She still sucks though.

Alexis does not age.  Just changes her hair color now and then.

Hi dude from LA Law!  

Tamara Braun was Carly when I first started watching, and I didn't like her initially, but I did eventually. But I have hated her ever since Laura Wright took over. She was nothing but a shrieking harpy. Ha 

• Love 5
22 hours ago, AuxArx said:

It was great to see Zander, although he was turning bad by this time.  I always liked the sweet love story with him and the REAL Emily.  Plus, he could act which was a bonus.  Wonder what ever happened to the actor?

Zander was my favorite and I loved Chad Brannon. It was nice getting to see a glimpse of him. I've always been sad he didn't do more as an actor. He's one of those examples that talent doesn't guarantee success. I didn't know if he was still acting but I was watching a Lifetime movie a couple of months ago and he popped up in it and I was so happy to see him.

It's one of those Lifetime movies about girls being kidnapped and their desperate mothers trying to find them. It premiered this year, but I can't remember the title of it. I think John-Paul Lavosier (Rex from OLTL) was in it as well. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Did Alexis and Mooby have their one night stand when this aired? Or did it happen after this episode? If the latter, then Lily would be the second “strong” woman, as @dubbel zout stated up thread.

Well Kristina had resulted from that one night stand, so I would say yes. Especially since before that Alexis had spent a year or so as Sonny's personal attorney and all the people close to her warned her away from him.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, nilyank said:

Well Kristina had resulted from that one night stand, so I would say yes. Especially since before that Alexis had spent a year or so as Sonny's personal attorney and all the people close to her warned her away from him.

Right, but she wasn’t in a romantic relationship with him. And she was his lawyer, not someone who got sucked into his world like Jax was warning Sam about.

Sure, there was flirting going on, but it wasn’t like she was Brenda, where they were involved romantically. Plus that one night ended when it started, so I can cross Alexis off the list of women Mooby has destroyed.

17 hours ago, geauxaway said:

Had to keep reminding myself Sam and Alexis didn’t know yet that they were mother and daughter.   

I thought they did.  Wasn't that the whole point of Sam's baby being a match for Kristina?  

I find Carly far less annoying when LW is not playing her.  She still sucks though.

Seconded! 

SJB played Carly as trash who knew she was trash, TB played her as trash who was trying to pretend she wasnt trash. LW plays her like she's never seen trash a day in her life. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

We've discussed this evolution of Carly before. I think each actor (save poor, miscast Jennifer Bransford) gives us the right Carly at the right time. After 20+ years in Port Charles as the wife of the mob kingpin, LW's Carly choosing to ignore her past seems entirely in character to me. It makes sense to me that Carly has changed.

(LW's laugh, though, will never not annoy me.)

• Love 7

So. Mooby was going around shedding tears over the loss of Baby Lila--"his child" I think I heard him say to...red-headed-devil-spawn Michael? Then said to somebody--who? I wasn't paying attention, how he "lost two [kids]" or something?

Then, near the end, when he arses himself to go see Jason, whines about how is he "gonna tell Sam about HER Daugher?" Oh, so now Baby Lila is Sam's daughter, but not theirs?

Burton did some good emoting. But his tears here are still NOTHING to when he and Robin broke up in '97 and he displayed the most glorious UGLY CRYING and emotion.

Alas, this was the start of Sam's perpetual crying, right?

Oh Corbin! You were TOO GODDAMN GOOD FOR THIS SHOW. 

At least Ted King's awesome hair was back. Less said about that mop he was sporting on Monday's show, the better.

I wonder if we'll see the return of Robin during the "gweat wuv" that is Jaysus and Sam? Probably not.

So many changes, though. Ric and Alexis are married; Were Elizabeth and Lucky falling in love again at this point? I know they were...newly married in 2006 during the Monkey Virus story line...

And the horror that was Tyler's "Connor". UGH.

And STFU FakeLois! And Mike, too.

Toddler Kristina had the most longest eyelashes I've ever seen!

And no more "Faces of the Heart" but that other one. Which, compared to recent years cheap ass nonsense, is still preferable.

7 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Then, near the end, when he arses himself to go see Jason, whines about how is he "gonna tell Sam about HER Daugher?" Oh, so now Baby Lila is Sam's daughter, but not theirs?

This is what ticked me off. Yes, he donated the sperm. But at that point Jason and Sam were clearly a couple; Liz had talked to him about how Sam would feel, and Jason had wondered if he should clean out the nursery before Sam left the hospital. Why would Sonny think he would be the one to tell Sam about the baby? Why did Jason have to say that he would be telling Samantha about the child? It was Sonny making it all about himself.

• Love 3

Today's  episode originally aired in 2005.(my pvr didn't have a description for this episode so I was quite confused trying to jump in and figure things out, based on memories from 16 years ago)...

Brooklyn finds drugs on Diego and thinks he's the PCU stalker.  He denies it but when she's not looking Diego slips something in Brook's drink.  He wants to make her pay for her mistreatment of poor Sage.  

Maxie's dating a cop (she has a type!) who's name I can't remember.  Mac's less than thrilled with the boy's performance in the stalker investigation.  

Nik and Emily discuss their divorce while trying to help plan Liz and Lucky's surprise wedding.  

Courtney and Jax discuss the baby they lost and their impending divorce .  Later Jax pays Alexis a visit, looking for his divorce papers.  She's pregnant with Molly.  Nik shows up with the wrong papers.  Alexis tries to convince the men to save their marriages 

Emily confronts Courtney, that she's pregnant with Nik's baby.  Courtney says it could be Jax' baby, because she's a.....well, I won't finish that thought!

Jason and Sam are somewhere on a beach and since I didn't care about this the first time around, I fast forward all their scenes.  Manny Ruiz shows up to beat up on Jason.  

Jax heads back to Alexis to ask her to hold off on the divorce.  

ROBIN!!!!  I remember the first time being so excited to see MY Robin.  

5 hours ago, geauxaway said:

Sonny was the dad of both the babies.

You're right.  I was thinking the connection was via Alexis but it was via Sonny.  

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Maxie's dating a cop (she has a type!) who's name I can't remember. 

Jesse, I think? skinny dude with brown curlishy hair?

28 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

ROBIN!!!!  I remember the first time being so excited to see MY Robin.  

YES!!!!!!

giphy.gif

29 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Emily confronts Courtney, that she's pregnant with Nik's baby.  Courtney says it could be Jax' baby,

It was TOTALLY Jax's baby. They had to go ruin Jax some more by having him responsible for the doctor's accident, to hide the fact he faked it so the baby would be his. ARGH!!!

I think Jaysus and Sam are in Hawaii--I remember (God, WHY do I remember??) that she kept telling Jaysus she was gonna take.a.bath. Or that they.could.take.a.bath. Wasn't he amnesiac again?

Why did I turn this on? I cannot stand Jason and Sam's relationship.

Anyway a few thoughts.

Watching Nikolas with Emily, I will never understand what he was doing with Courtney. She was so blah and they had nothing in common. I am supposed to believe that Nik loved Courtney. Why?

Same question with Jax. Why did he love Courtney?

Only Jason would to the beaches in Hawaii and remained in a black tshirt and jeans.

Jesse. The first cop that Maxie loved who was killed. I missed this during the first time and his backstory. He was in a gang and started a gang warfare for revenge and got his brother killed. Okay.

Finally FUCK YOU Diego. He roofied a bunch of girls as revenge for a cousin that he never met because Sage had no friends from the group of teens she treated like crap and she wasn't as talented as Brook Lynn. All this nonsense about everyone being mean to Sage when she did so much horrible crap to Georgie. To add insult to injury, after what Diego had done and the further crimes that he will commit, Georgie befriends him when no one would be his friend and he ends later using her misplaced trust in him when he makes her one of his victims when he turns out to be the Text Message Killer (TMK) 

Hated him and all the Alcazars that were ever on this show.

• Love 2

I have been amused by the episode selections these past 2 weeks. I've actually enjoyed them, but have been amused because the Sonny/Carly scenes were the least interesting of scenes last week and the Jason/Sam scenes are the least interesting this week. If they are trying to show how great these couples are, perhaps they shouldn't pick episodes where they scene outshines them.

• Love 4

The only episode that showed Sonny and Carly's relationship in a halfway positive light was the one where they get remarried for the billionth time at GH.

Sam and Jason's relationship isn't getting off to a very good start this week. They meet at the PCPD, both arrested; yesterday Sam loses Sonny's baby; today Jason is being pistol-whipped by Manny's minions. 

Love in the afternoon, people!

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

It's crazy that these episodes all take place within a few years and the couples change so fast! Lol people are quick to move on. Courtney and Jason, then Jason and Sam, with Sonny and Jax in between for Sam. Now Courtney's already been with Jax and Nikolas.  Liz and Ric, then Liz and Lucky, and Ric is already married to Alexis how long after he kidnapped Carly? Lol I know it's a soap and that's how it goes but geez. Some of these people are way too eager to get married shortly after being together. Then they're divorced within a year. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

then Liz and Lucky,

Well, as far as these two go, Helena had brainwashed Yelly McYellerson's Lucky, so that he didn't remember ever loving Elizabeth; cheated on her with her sister, Sarah..so when they were supposed to get married, Elizabeth realized he didn't love her and didn't go through with it. So it took...four years? for them to fall in love again--this time with Lucky No. 2 Larry. And then it all went to shit in four years. UGH.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Slow burns don't exist, which is a shame, as soaps have the time for them and when written properly, can be really satisfying. Of course, that rules out GH right there.

In recent years, I think the only slow burns were Robin and Patrick and Dante and Lulu.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

It's crazy that these episodes all take place within a few years and the couples change so fast! Lol people are quick to move on. Courtney and Jason, then Jason and Sam, with Sonny and Jax in between for Sam. Now Courtney's already been with Jax and Nikolas.  Liz and Ric, then Liz and Lucky, and Ric is already married to Alexis how long after he kidnapped Carly? Lol I know it's a soap and that's how it goes but geez. Some of these people are way too eager to get married shortly after being together. Then they're divorced within a year. 

Also, the number of babies born/about to birth/passed away,  in these last three episodes.  Liz was pregnant with Cam.  Carly had just had Morgan.  Courtney lost her Jason baby, her Jax baby and was pregnant with Spencer.  Sam lost her baby.  Alexis had tiny Kristina and was pregnant with Molly.  All within 3 years.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Also, the number of babies born/about to birth/passed away,  in these last three episodes.  Liz was pregnant with Cam.  Carly had just had Morgan.  Courtney lost her Jason baby, her Jax baby and was pregnant with Spencer.  Sam lost her baby.  Alexis had tiny Kristina and was pregnant with Molly.  All within 3 years.  

🤯 So insane lol. 

I didn't know they had the intro for the past couple episodes that far back. And why is it just all the men at the end?? Ha 

2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Sam and Jason's relationship isn't getting off to a very good start this week. They meet at the PCPD, both arrested; yesterday Sam loses Sonny's baby; today Jason is being pistol-whipped by Manny's minions. 

Love in the afternoon, people!

Mob Love in the afternoon.

I know that Jason and Sam were supposed to be lovey and romantic but there was something off about them even today. I can't quite figure out why.  Maybe it was because KMo was trying too hard but it rang false to me.

Did Jason learn to yell at helpless people from Sonny, or Sonny from Jason? I was embarrassed when he was yelling at Sam's doctor to fix her or shut up. He's trying, Jason, he's trying.

I liked Shaun Benson's Steven Lars (except when he was Carly's puppy dog). It would be interesting to have him back. He's in jail, right?  Along with Patrick's brother, and Shawn Butler. Why is it the doctors and the cops who go to jail. Is there anyone from Sonny's mob in jail now?  Or anyone other than Sainted Jason who went inside to protect Michael? Sam doesn't count since she wasn't technically in the mob.

• Love 1