Type keyword(s) to search

The Blue and Gold: Riverdale Media

Bort
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I knew I was old when I started this show and slowly started to realize I was more interested in the parents than the teens.  I think Skeet got a bit of renewed popularity from this show so good for him.  Rightfully so, the show was always gonna focus more on Archie and the gang, I'm sure he wants to do more.

• Love 3

I just read a blind item that some network show is considering a 5 year time jump for next season. It would make sense for Riverdale to do that since the kids are supposed to be graduating from high school and splitting off to go to different colleges, and Skeet and Marisol announced they're leaving. But, then again, when has Riverdale ever done anything that made sense?

• Love 1

Yeah, I think it’s very possible they demoted the parents and that kinda forced those actors to exit. If Riverdale does a time jump, I see why they’d have to make certain decisions, especially because they (unfortunately) barely use some of those characters in the first place.

However, the writers need to actually do something different to keep my personal interest. This show keeps going in circles and is afraid to rock the boat in any way and it’s extremely repetitive.

• Love 1

I don't watch the show, or follow news about it, but this came up on one site I normally read - Some quotes from from Sam Witwer: 'Riverdale's Sam Witwer on That Infamous Scene: 'I Read the Script and Laughed''

“As for why that character jumps out a window, I have no idea. But I read the script and laughed. I was like, ‘Right, of course. Of course he does,’” Sam Witwer told io9. “I’d love to say I had deep thoughts about the whole thing, but I don’t think that’s really the way they work over there.”

“Riverdale calls me up and goes, ‘We want you to be on the show. We really need you to say yes and fly out tomorrow. Can you do us this favor?’ And I’m like, ‘...OK.’ That was the last communication I had with them. Any questions I had went, I’m sorry, sadly unanswered,” he said.

“I was a little bit relieved when I saw my character jumping out the window. I don’t have to wonder anymore whether I’m being made to look like a—” Witwer stopped himself for a second, before continuing, “Because I can’t. Maybe I’m just not a good enough actor, but I can’t do my job if I don’t know what’s going on.”

• LOL 7
16 hours ago, Cranberry said:

Real classy, Riverdale writers. Guess they can't handle valid criticism.

Wow - kind of proves his point doesn't it? What kind of petty high grade school crap is that?

• Love 2

There is IMO way worse stuff on TV than Riverdale at its worst writing. I just get the feeling that some of the criticism that comes from some fans and writers are probably some who watch and enjoy awful crap like Real Housewives series, Dance Moms, Honey Boo Boo, The Famewhore Kartrashians to name a few 

On 4/4/2020 at 11:25 PM, Trini said:

Wow - kind of proves his point doesn't it? What kind of petty high grade school crap is that?

Yikes. Given that Sam has been a working actor for about twenty years, I don't think he's going to care much Roberto going mean girl, but yikes. I'm surprised they haven't shaded YouTuber Alex Meyers yet, who has made a living making fun of Riverdale.

Morgan, who plays Toni Topaz on the CW drama, posted a tweet on Sunday that says she’s “tired of how black people are portrayed in Media, tired of us being portrayed as thugs, dangerous or angry scary people. Tired of us also being used as sidekick non dimensional characters to our white leads. Or only used in the ads for diversity but not actually in the show.”

In case there was any doubt she was referring to Riverdale, Morgan added in a reply on Tuesday: “Too bad I’m the only black series regular but also paid the least. Girl I could go on for days.” (TVLine has reached out to The CW for comment.) Earlier, Morgan defended former co-star Ashleigh Murray, who played Josie, in a tweet, saying: “Maybe the show should write for [Josie] like the white characters.”

https://tvline.com/2020/06/02/riverdale-vanessa-morgan-comments-sidekick-black-least-paid-toni-controversy/

• Love 4
(edited)

So glad that she and others spoke out on the very reason I stopped watching....the diversity signal of casting Reggie as Asian....and a character who is part of the core four in the comics being regaled to the sideline....then ticking the box twice by casting a biracial and having a bisexual storyline.....the way they discarded the Pussycats and used Val and Josie in the Archie mess...That along with the poor writing and preposterous storylines...even some of the main cast got tired and left this year.    Then she is paid less? 

Now they are doing the same type of thing on Nancy Drew.  They borrow the name of something well known and "artistically" change it to some drivel all the while making diversity casting not because they believe in the actors/actresses but because they are trying to tick a box and be called "diverse."  Then they ignore them in photo and press ops and calls - except a few- and don't give them storylines.  I could have predicted when NIck was black and George was Asian where that was going.....and that Nancy would be with someone else...same with Supergirl....

Edited by catrice2
  • Love 2

So the writers have apologized to Vanessa Morgan....what about A. Murray, Hayley Law, the guy that plays Reggie?  How Pop is portrayed?  The fact that the Lodges are criminals...and Hispanic, but Jughead's father can be a criminal...then be Sheriff?  There are so many stereotypes and slights in this show that he doesn't have time to apologize to everybody...

• Love 1
8 hours ago, catrice2 said:

So the writers have apologized to Vanessa Morgan....what about A. Murray, Hayley Law, the guy that plays Reggie?  How Pop is portrayed?  The fact that the Lodges are criminals...and Hispanic, but Jughead's father can be a criminal...then be Sheriff?  There are so many stereotypes and slights in this show that he doesn't have time to apologize to everybody...

Well Betty’s father is a serial killer and Cheryl’s parents are criminals too.   I don’t get the point about the Lodges.   Are we saying POC can’t be villains?  Are we playing that game again?     And if anything the show lost something when it dropped the Jughead and the Serpents plot.    Vanessa Morgan should be more then just a love interest but then Cheryl hasn’t really  been a part of the show either. 

• Love 1
On 6/5/2020 at 8:43 AM, Chaos Theory said:

Well Betty’s father is a serial killer and Cheryl’s parents are criminals too.   I don’t get the point about the Lodges.   Are we saying POC can’t be villains?  Are we playing that game again?     And if anything the show lost something when it dropped the Jughead and the Serpents plot.    Vanessa Morgan should be more then just a love interest but then Cheryl hasn’t really  been a part of the show either. 

I don't play "games" and if the show wanted to show change and do color blind casting, then why make the Hispanic family with criminal ties?  It is not that they can't play villians, it is that they USUALLY play villains, (black and hispanic characters so)  that is nothing NEW.   So let's make them Hispanic and powerful, BUT that power should be corrupt.  See that's the problem, minorities are USUALLY portrayed as criminals, and there is always a BUT, why not do something different?  So why couldn't ARCHIE's family be the one with criminal ties?   They changed everything else.  But they made Jughead's father the sheriff and he was a criminal?  And Archie and Jughead are the "good" guys, including Betty, but Reggie and Chuck are problematic.  Even "dark Betty," was standing up for other people.  

Honestly,  this week I have no patience. If you choose to watch this show and not see the issue with the writing  ...for ALL characters including Betty, Archie and Jughead, o.k.   You have your opinion and I have mine.   They did a horrible job with casting and writing.  This was pushed as an ensemble show which is why it is called Riverdale, but quickly deviated from that concept.  In fact ,they should have just had the show without the ties to the Archie comics. 

• Love 3

It looks like Hermione isn't out of Riverdale for good after the time jump:

q02tmbfbak451.png?width=384&auto=webp&s=

I think she's implying that Roberto promised Marisol an actual story in order to get her back.

It sounds like Roberto is doing damage control with the supporting actresses and actors who are mostly minorities on the show. First Vanessa and now Marisol. Who's next? Charles Melton? Will he approach Skeet?

As skeptical as I am about his sincerity, I hope he IS serious about changing the direction of the show for the supporting characters. I hope it's not all just empty promises.

• Love 2
(edited)

I believe the actress who played Melodie also spoke up about this. In Vanessa's case, she's literally just there to be arm candy for Cheryl and it's embarrassing to watch because she's capable of more than that. We saw it during her intro episodes. Now I keep waiting for Cheryl to slip up at one point and call her Auntie instead of TT. She feels like an updated twist on the supportive Mammy character, except she's sleeping with Cheryl instead of acting like her maternal figure. That's the main reason why I'm so squicked out by that pairing.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

According to deadline filming will resume end of August.

https://deadline.com/2020/07/warner-bros-tv-tentative-late-august-production-restart-dates-vancouver-based-series-1202994884/

The planned start dates, which are tentative amid a COVID-19 spike in the U.S., vary for the various shows; I hear they range between Aug. 20-27. I hear the dates reflect when actors would need to arrive in Vancouver for a two-week self-isolation required by British Columbia, the province that Vancouver is part of. Filming would start after the end of the quarantine period.

• Useful 1

The second half of Riverdale Season 5 is now scheduled to air August 11 at 8 p.m. Eastern Time, a month later than the originally scheduled return date of July 7. There are at least 9+ episodes left in the season.

• Useful 1

To get people excited about the return of Riverdale, The CW will be releasing an ongoing series of cast posters. Here is the first round. 

Cole Sprouse as Jughead Jones

E6RMt5FX0AYEm8k.jpg

Erinn Westbrook as Tabitha Tate

E6RMt8gXsAUHTCb.jpg

The second half of the Season 5 airs on August 11 and Season 6 is set to premiere on November 16th.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Once again, Tabitha should have been Nancy Woods, and then she would have belonged in the group for just such an episode like this. She should not be an original character, I don't like it.

Not surprised and at least this show will actually have time to prepare to end for good.

Of course, with this show that just means I wonder just how much more insane is going to get.  For better or worse, I don't see them just going quietly into the night here.

Certainly hope the cast starts looking for some solid work going forward.  If nothing else, they can just submit most of this stuff in their reels and be like "Well, as you can tell, I'm clearly game for anything!"

• Love 1