Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E06: Institutionalized

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

Can just once NCIS act professionally?  Kasie should not have been working the case. I'm semi-impressed she actually turned over the blood evidence.  But, seriously, she should have never been in the position to steal it in the first place.    The guard was obviously guilty from the first second he appeared.  Torres is probably involved in some adopt a grandma program.  

Pretty much the only parts I liked were when Gibbs said "we have to scan 31 days" and McGee said "by we you mean me, right?"  Well, yeah, but I loved the Gibbs smile.  And, I actually liked Ellie's little storyline.  It felt realish.

• Love 5

Great episode, I know it's unrealistic for Kasie to be involved as much as she was but it's TV for god's sake. Dante is lucky he has a friend like Kasie at NCIS because he would have been screwed. This episode is yet another reminder that people especially young black men can find them selves in if someone doesn't take the time to listen, dig deeper or ask them extra questions. Not everybody deserves to be written off. I also liked Vance being to one to let Kasie know that NCIS was behind her.

I don't know if i'm feeling the Bishop and Torres build, it seems unnecessary.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mommalib said:

I also liked Vance being to one to let Kasie know that NCIS was behind her

Which was totally opposite of his usual demeanor. Adjusting a character's personality to fit a scene\situation doesn't work.

• Love 5

It’s nice to dig a little deeper into Kassie and yeah in real life she would have been told to stand down but honestly what boring tv that would make.  What boring TV it would be if GIbbs did his job in a calm and leveled manner.   The show would have been cancelled eons ago.

i hated When the show did Tony and Ziva so I loath Torres and Bishop.  Ha!  Maybe because I never really like Ziva or Torres.   Tony was a fun cad and I like Bishop as a goofy female version of GIbbs.   But this show has never worked as a dating show.  

i did buy Vance being the one to say they were all behind Kasie.  It was alpha male behavior.  Do you really want to do this?  Look me in the eyes and be sure.    Oh ok.   Let’s roll.  Ride  or die.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, Magnumfangirl said:

What did this case have to do with the Navy?

The prime suspect was best friends with an NCIS lab person.  That gives NCIS jurisdiction gosh darn it.  Not sure why they were on the case before they knew that, though.  They should just have the entire team transfer to the police department.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Magnumfangirl said:

What did this case have to do with the Navy?

I believe that the woman who was throwing the party for her son (the dead guy) was a Petty Officer in the Navy.  Perhaps she lived in on-base housing.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, preeya said:

Which was totally opposite of his usual demeanor. Adjusting a character's personality to fit a scene\situation doesn't work.

In this situation it worked for me. Vance knows what it's like to believe in somebody who looks guilty, like he did with Ziva's father Eli. Not to mention Vance being a black man in a position of authority which ties in to what I was talking about earlier.

Edited by mommalib
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, mommalib said:

In this situation it worked for me. Vance knows what it's like to believe in somebody who looks guilty, like he did with Ziva's father Eli. Not to mention Vance being a black man in a position of authority which ties in to what I was talking about earlier.

Being supportive is one thing and I could roll with that.  But, she 100% no doubt about it, should not have been handling any evidence.  If Vance wanted to let her yell at the team and hang out with her friend in the interrogation room all day, great.  Even though they don't really let other people do that, making that kind of an exception for a team member isn't that big of a deal.  But, the guard's defense lawyer could have a field day with this.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, UncleChuck said:

I believe that the woman who was throwing the party for her son (the dead guy) was a Petty Officer in the Navy.  Perhaps she lived in on-base housing.

She was wearing a Navy sweatshirt so I guess that's the connection.  Pretty weak link imo.  

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Katy M said:

Being supportive is one thing and I could roll with that.  But, she 100% no doubt about it, should not have been handling any evidence.  If Vance wanted to let her yell at the team and hang out with her friend in the interrogation room all day, great.  Even though they don't really let other people do that, making that kind of an exception for a team member isn't that big of a deal.  But, the guard's defense lawyer could have a field day with this.

I wasn't talking about evidence I was just talking about Vance's support. And sometimes when your watching a TV show you have to suspend a little belief. 

• Love 2

Special agent Gibbs Gibbs Gibbs is a slight ludite with a perchance to pamper the scientists in the high tech laboratory..for balance..

But The rule #1 of the Bullpen should be: Respect for basic protocol.

Kace hands down was too hands on with the case, in this case. a month they let the uncleared Ziva in, and the behavioral analysis missed Gibbs' motives for letting Kace interview the suspect. The behavioral analyst has been gossiping about the other agents' privileged  personal affairs  

Tatter tot is Minnesota's hotdish

Edited by Welcome5431
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, mommalib said:

Vance believed in his brother in law before he found out he was guilty of murder.  He did what he could in that situation to try to prove him innocent.

10 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

Vance believed in his brother in law before he found out he was guilty of murder.  He did what he could in that situation to try to prove him innocent.

Yup another great example, I remember being upset when he turned out to be guilty.

• Love 2

I liked this episode a lot. It kept me interested. Yeah, Kace shouldn’t have been on the case but she did everything by the book and I liked her friend (and his dog). Glad that he wasn’t the murderer (I’m still pissed about Vance’s brother in law). I can see why Vance gave Kace the speech.

Im the only one enjoying the Torres/Bishop slow burn but getting impatient with them. Just get together already!

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, twoods said:

Im the only one enjoying the Torres/Bishop slow burn but getting impatient with them. Just get together already!

I'm over the "slow burn" between members of the team. Let's just be professional and friendly, not URL!!

• Love 2

Ellie "do as I say not as I do" Bishop demanding when Kasie was going to tell them about the evidence was particularly rich. Sure, Kasie shouldn't have kept it from the investigation but since when did *anyone* on the team actually abide by standards?

Loved Vance giving his support. 

I think the problem with this current crew is that - outside of Gibbs and McGee - none of the characters are interestingly developed (yet). I get they may not have wanted to go down the route of Ziva and her drama, but I'm not invested in these people's arcs like I was with Tony or Abby. Kasie's story this week had promise, though. 

I'm not ready to give up yet, but it does feel like a very different show than it was even a few seasons ago.

• Love 1

We were getting some preachin' with our NCIS story this week.  I guess that it's a good thing to have something to think about while watching otherwise mindless tv.      I really like the actress who plays Kasie - I love her facial expressions and how "real" she makes the character.   This show has some good actors who rarely get to shine - unfortunately, the character of Abby was sort of a joke - at least Kasie seems like a real person.  NCIS did something right with THAT. 

• Love 6

I thought I had watched all of NCIS since the beginning.  So, why were some characters introduced and then dropped?  (I know that they lost a showrunner, but whoever followed in that niche must have watched a few previous years.)

Vance's son: could be an age now where he's really interesting.

Ellie's family, especially the brothers, lots of effort went into her background. 

Gibbs' hometown.  It's inspired a few episodes, but there's more there that is possible, just because it's not that far from D.C.

Jimmy's wife.

Emily. Don't leave her hanging in a drug influenced life, Uncle Gibbs.

Kasie - needs to begin to fit into the analytical community in continuing education.  

Abby's brothers- are out there somewhere.

And some of Ziva's contacts. 

And on and on. 

• Love 3
On 11/6/2019 at 7:28 AM, UncleChuck said:

I think he was found on the base heading to his party...that's the connection...military can be very territorial

I am scratching my head trying to figure out why Bishop's hometown would choose her to be Potato Queen. She was a nobody in high school, then moved away to the East Coast and became an NSA and then NCIS agent. Did I miss an episode where she became famous? This is the burning question I need an answer to, never mind about Kasie's hard-luck boyfriend. Also, inviting someone to be Potato Queen, then taking it back because the local weather girl suddenly became available seems like a total dick move. Shame on Potato Festival organizers.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
On 11/7/2019 at 11:23 AM, enoughcats said:

I thought I had watched all of NCIS since the beginning.  So, why were some characters introduced and then dropped?  (I know that they lost a showrunner, but whoever followed in that niche must have watched a few previous years.)

Tell me about it!!!  Gary Glasberg created the character of Reeves.  After Glasberg died, the others didn't have a direction for the character and he was killed off.  I find it hard to believe that Glasberg would not have mapped out a storyline for Reeves before creating him.  And the others couldn't come up with anything?

Yes, I'm still bitter.

• Love 6
On 11/7/2019 at 2:23 PM, enoughcats said:

I thought I had watched all of NCIS since the beginning.  So, why were some characters introduced and then dropped? 

It's a procedural. Procedurals have a habit of doing that (and bringing in a new, completely random character when it fits the story instead of using one that already exists and they could have used.) It's the thing that annoys me the most about procedurals.

• Love 1
On 11/6/2019 at 6:07 PM, Welcome5431 said:

Special agent Gibbs Gibbs Gibbs i

That's "Gibbs Gibbs Gibbs Gibbs Gibbs!" thankyouverymuch!

C'mon, Welcome5431, if you're going to go all "AbbySciuto" on our asses, at least ramp up the annoyance factor to the appropriate setting! Cheers! 

• LOL 3
On 11/7/2019 at 2:23 PM, enoughcats said:

Gibbs' hometown.  It's inspired a few episodes, but there's more there that is possible, just because it's not that far from D.C.

I don't think there are any more stories left there, since his father died.

• Love 1
On 11/7/2019 at 10:57 AM, 12catcrazy said:

This show has some good actors who rarely get to shine - unfortunately, the character of Abby was sort of a joke - at least Kasie seems like a real person.  NCIS did something right with THAT. 

While Kasie's character may seem like a real person, there is not any real father-daughter chemistry like there was with Gibbs and Abby.  Prior to the actors' fallout, I saw genuine care in those characters' occasional tender interactions.  When Gibbs was tying the tie on Kasie, it seemed borderline pervy to me.

5 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

When Gibbs was tying the tie on Kasie, it seemed borderline pervy to me.

I thought he got unusually close in a fairly short amount of time with Kasie. It just seemed odd and out of character. Not sure why they felt the need to include that.

9 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

I thought he got unusually close in a fairly short amount of time with Kasie. It just seemed odd and out of character. Not sure why they felt the need to include that.

Yes, and it didn't translate through the actors.  i think they included it as just another "f*ck you" to Pauley, but to me it backfired.

• Love 1

The biggest WTAF from this episode was that they never tested the shiv for fingerprints, which would have been the first thing Kacie would have done.  Except that would have ruined the remainder of the touching, heartwarming plot the writers were going for, so, bye-bye logic.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

The biggest WTAF from this episode was that they never tested the shiv for fingerprints, which would have been the first thing Kacie would have done.  Except that would have ruined the remainder of the touching, heartwarming plot the writers were going for, so, bye-bye logic.

There probably weren't any.  If I were going to plant evidence, the first thing I would do would be to wipe my prints off.

Just started the episode, and already rolling my eyes. Can we have ONE EPISODE where the crime is just a crime and not connected personally to one our agents? I tune in for a crime and solve, not a soap opera focused on the characters backstories and history. She hasn't even been on the show long enough to really be invested in her personal life!!!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, UnikornRainbowz said:

Just started the episode, and already rolling my eyes. Can we have ONE EPISODE where the crime is just a crime and not connected personally to one our agents? I tune in for a crime and solve, not a soap opera focused on the characters backstories and history. She hasn't even been on the show long enough to really be invested in her personal life!!!

Well this show turned away from crimes about Naval and Marine and not about the team members somewhere around season 4. 

• Love 1