Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Let’s Talk About Dr Phil the Show

Lola16
  • Start Topic

Next week: the first "went-from" of the season, problem children and more true crime/ripped from the headlines stories:

11/29: From Businessman to "Cowboy Tygg"

Ed's family say he had a long, successful career in the aerospace industry but suddenly snapped, leaving his home, marriage, children and job and turning to a life of street performing, alcohol, drugs and crime.

11/30: Missing and Murdered in Montana

In Native American communities there is an epidemic of missing women; Henny Scott, 14, disappeared while she was hanging out with friends and was found dead two weeks later; Ashley Loring, 20, was last seen in Browning, Mont., four years ago.

12/1: Bullied by My Monster Children!

BillieSue admits she enabled her now-adult children, Alex and Hana, so badly that it turned them into hateful, disrespectful menaces to society: one bullied her out of her house, then the other nearly got her evicted from her apartment.

12/2: License to Steal: The Shoplifting Crisis

A store manager's physical confrontation with a shoplifter is caught on tape; an organized retail criminal tells how and why they do what they do; California bill Prop 47, which many say encourages shoplifting in the state.

12/3: Good Children, Bad Choices!

Erin is ready to drop out of college to pursue his dream of becoming the next big social media star and expects his parents to financially support him because he refuses to get a "regular job"; 20-year-old Hope's party lifestyle is out of control.

I predict that we're be hearing at least one "I don't ask why, I ask why not", as well as at least two episodes where he "switches gears" to whatever product he's pimping promoting.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, iHateAmpersands said:

I predict that we're be hearing at least one "I don't ask why, I ask why not", as well as at least two episodes where he "switches gears" to whatever product he's pimping promoting.

Finally Dr. P jumped on the bandwagon concerning the missing women among the Native Americans.  It's needed attention for a very long time.  Why did he wait so long (as did everyone else I realize).

I'd rather watch the Pfyzer drug lady or the Medicare Advantage lady than a couple of those episodes.  Especially concerning the good children bad choices.

Edited by parrotfeathers

I'd love to see Dr. Phil get confused about which segment he's doing and offer the STEM college girl with imperfect skin "a thorough neurological workup and DNA testing so we can see what's going on in there, followed by inpatient rehab at this beautiful facility in California, for as long as it takes. Will you take my offer of this help?"

Would be priceless.

• LOL 5

The mother on today’s was batshit crazy.  Her nonstop motor mouth drove me nuts enough that I had to turn the channel halfway through the show.  What was the outcome?  Did Doc send her to the PNP center?

I have a theory on why he's doing the crass paid promos for apps, skin cream, and Medicare. When a celebrity gets really successful, they become an enterprise that lots of people depend on for their own livelihoods.

So even if a Hollywood star or someone like Dr. Phil thinks he's pretty comfortable as is and doesn't need to keep pushing for more and more money, there are people who depend on their 5% or whatever of what he makes -- his agent, business manager, publicist, on and on. Probably even within the production company there are lots of people who get bonuses that are dependent on overall profits and earnings.

That means the moneymaker can feel a lot of pressure to keep making more money for those around him even if he isn't so personally driven to make more. Some of these people are close friends as well as business associates and he wants to keep doing well for them. 

For successful actors, this sometimes results in a "one for me, one for them" approach. That means the actor will do a little indie film that he is passionate about even though it doesn't make much money for him or those around him, and then he'll do a big commercially successful movie to bring in the dough for everyone. They alternate to keep the actor happy and everyone else paid well.

So I'm wondering if that's what is driving these tasteless, moneygrubbing promotions in his show. Still doesn't make him look good, but it might make a bit more sense than the idea that he and Robin just aren't satisfied with their many millions of dollars already.

• Useful 3
On 12/1/2021 at 8:40 PM, farmgal4 said:

The mother on today’s was batshit crazy.  Her nonstop motor mouth drove me nuts enough that I had to turn the channel halfway through the show.  What was the outcome?  Did Doc send her to the PNP center?

I didn't see the episode so I don't know what the end result was, but I'm guessing that her kids weren't the bullies she claimed they were.

• Love 1

Next week: more true-crime/ripped from the headlines crap, plus Dr. Phil's biggest fans have some questions.

12/6: Our Brother Killed Our Father and Saved Our Lives

Dr. Phil conducts an exclusive prison phone call with Chris, who at 18 broke into his stepfather Vincent's home and says he caught him molesting his younger sister, Viccy, then shot him in the head and confessed to the killing.

12/7: Missing Mom: Where Is Lauren Dumolo?

Lauren Dumolo, a young mother, seemingly vanishes into thin air; theories and questions continue to mount as her last known whereabouts do not add up; family members say they believe there's foul play involved.

12/8: To Catch an Online Child Predator

Missing teen Sophie may have been entangled in human trafficking; Meaghan's young daughter chatted and sent explicit videos to older men; a child advocate transforms herself into online teenage decoys; what to look for on a child's phone.

12/9: Knock Knock... It's Dr. Phil and Robin!; Phanatics' Biggest Questions

Dr. Phil's "Phanatics" group discusses common problems and real solutions; a newly engaged couple say they don't see eye-to-eye on house cleaning; newlyweds tell why they shouldn't be asked a certain question; a set of twins do everything together.

12/10: How Far Is Too Far?

A 22-year-old quits his day job to approach a popular social media influencer and ask him for a job; a YouTuber is "canceled" for his controversial videos; a woman turns to social media to make money in what some call an unconventional way.

And for some reason, the title of today's show has been changed from "Good Children, Bad Choices!" to "Child-ervention".

Edited by iHateAmpersands

That clown with the Sideshow Bob haircut is amazingly entitled and disrespectful. I think Dr. Phil could have grilled the parents more, like he often does, about how he got that way.
When they came back from the video about him putting $3000 on their credit card, I wanted him to ask, “Does he still have that credit card?”  Pretty sure they’d say yes, and he still has the camera equipment too. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Tango64 said:

That clown with the Sideshow Bob haircut

I'm not surprised by this at all. I've seen quite a few male YouTube/TikTok stars (plus some of the wannabes on past episodes) with that same "puffy/curly hair piled on top" hairstyle; it must be one of the requirements.

3 hours ago, Tango64 said:

That clown with the Sideshow Bob haircut is amazingly entitled and disrespectful.

He was a real piece of work. He suffers from delusions of grandeur based on his infantile personality. He really believes that his parents need to spend all of their money to support him as he circle jerks with his (tiny) circle of friends. The whole escaped prisoner "stunt" could get him held at gunpoint on the ground in much of the US if not shot on the spot, quite justifiably. There is a whole genre of 20 somethings videoing their "pranks" that may have been cute when they were six but no longer. The two cases I recall were a twenty something guy who thought it was hilarious to dress in all black ninja garb and a hockey mask then jump out of hiding waving a machete and scream at people, a good way to get dead in a hurry. On The World's Dummest (fill in the blank) they showed a guy who made a fake bomb (which is a felony) and then set it down next to random people and asked them to watch while he ran away. He got arrested for a felony of making a fake bomb, didn't get any follow up but I hope he got some real time in jail. Enough of a rant, but this level of reckless stupidity from nominally adults is pathetic.

Edited by DoctorK
  • Love 5

Remember the Kiki challenge?  I don't know if I have the name right, but the one where the driver would film themselves dancing next to their slowly moving vehicle?   That had some very funny things happen, (it was funny to me) people running into a telephone pole, or falling into a ditch, people who had the vehicle going too fast when they stepped out, and hit the pavement, or a few who found out that dancing next to your vehicle, and tripping means it can run over you.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 1

I saw a little bit of the "Phanatics ask questions" show:

1) During a segment with twins who do everything together, he brings up that his daughter-in-law is one in a set of triplets.

2) He had on an Oprah look-a-like and gushed about his long-time friendship with the real Oprah, doing the whole "she's not as nice as she is on TV...she's nicer" thing.

3) He also had on a Dr. Phil impersonator; unfortunately it wasn't this guy:

CS4YXsIQINx.thumb.jpg.c3c318bc180f15b777022075943c0729.jpg

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Next week:

12/13: Tragic School Shootings: Whose to Blame?

Sheriff Michael Bouchard joins Dr. Phil to discuss the deadly shooting at Oxford High School in Detroit, Mich.; parents from Sandy Hook Elementary and Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School give insight into what the Oxford families are going through.

12/14: My Teen Is So Bad, I Called the DCFS on Myself!

Marie says her daughter, Willow, is causing so much chaos in her life that her house is a war zone and she had to move her younger son out for his safety; she worries that Willow will kill her someday.

12/15: A Desperate Housewife Returns: Can Mom and Daughter Make Amends?

Holly's intense dedication to her alcoholism recovery program may be alienating her family; the singer Victory from "America's Got Talent."

12/16: The Great Resignation: Do Quitters Ever Win?

Dr. Phil welcomes guests from different backgrounds to discuss the "Great Resignation" and the phenomenon of "rage quitting"; money expert Mandi Woodruff Santos; professor Tsedal Neeley.

12/17: From Bowling Alley Owner to Being Scammed Out of $530,000

Mark says he has no choice but to apply for conservatorship over his wife, Lori, after she was scammed out of nearly $500,000 over the course of two years; Lori doesn't see a reason for Mark to go to such measures.

• Love 1
On 12/9/2021 at 5:43 PM, iHateAmpersands said:

I saw a little bit of the "Phanatics ask questions" show:

1) During a segment with twins who do everything together, he brings up that his daughter-in-law is one in a set of triplets.

2) He had on an Oprah look-a-like and gushed about his long-time friendship with the real Oprah, doing the whole "she's not as nice as she is on TV...she's nicer" thing.

3) He also had on a Dr. Phil impersonator; unfortunately it wasn't this guy:

CS4YXsIQINx.thumb.jpg.c3c318bc180f15b777022075943c0729.jpg

With the engaged couple, he said that they reminded him of him & Robyn as honeymooners.  The show then posts an early "Dr. Phil" PR photo of him with Robyn (20+ years into their marriage).  Their visit to the couple's home was so that Dr. Phil & Robyn could reinforce marriage stereotypes, while praising themselves for their happiest, most perfect marriage.  Robyn also appeared onstage with the couple, because Dr. Phil identified her as his expert on marriage.  He has really been elevating Robyn to cohost lately.

• Love 1

The Phanatics Show: The twins bugged me. Everything was so light-hearted, so funny to them. I know, they're young, they're sweet and all that . . . but still. Dr. Phil couldn't really talk with them with any substance when he had a couple of giggling- gidgets (where did I even get that?) on stage. Why were they even on? The solution was for them to go on a date with another set of twins. Oh, okay.

Interesting when Dr. Phil said all couples have issues with the other where they eventually start getting annoyed at something they do or something. When DP asked Robin if she had anything on him, the answer was no. Really? Be honest, he is not a saint and you are not a saint, Robin. Be relatable and respond with a real answer.

Am I remembering right? Robin wearing white tennis shoes with black tights? Why?

Tragic School Shootings show: Again, a current event, I will tune into CNN or a news station to hear about news.

Edited by Breedom
  • Love 1

He starts today’s bad kid episode by saying “I consider myself” a mandated reporter and  over the years there have been times I had to…..

(Waiting for him to say, “report the parents to child protective services.” Yes! Tell us you’ve done that!)

…”warn the parents that I would report them if they don’t straighten up.”

Ah phooey. You’ll never report a parent. You’re not “mandated” and you know it. 

• Love 3

There's only one new episode airing next week (on Monday) and it is titled....

Dr. Phil and Robin Gave Me a New Lease on Life!

Any bets on the show next season getting re-tooled in order to (officially) have it become the Dr. Phil and Robin show?

The other episodes for the rest of the week are:

12/21: "Post Malone" Love Story or Scam?

Originally aired on September 27th

12/22: From Businessman to "Cowboy Tygg"

Originally aired on November 29th

12/23: Broken Ties and Financial Lies

Originally aired on October 8th

12/24: The Untold Story of "Dirty John" Meehan's First Wife

Originally aired on September 24th

Because of how early it is, I wouldn't be surprised if one of these ends up getting replaced with something else.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Breedom said:

Robin wearing white tennis shoes with black tights? Why?

Yesterday I watched the one about "influencers" or whatever they are called.  There was Grease impersonator Robin wearing her red sweater, blue jeans and pony tail with a bow.  I guess you really can be young if you try hard enough?

• LOL 4

That smug, entitled little snowflake who flounced out of his retail job was insufferable. The way he looked at Phil and the other guy with those heavy lidded, half closed eyes told me everything about him. He thinks he deserves everything, his way, and now, and if anyone tries direct him or, god forbid, criticize him then they are disrespecting him.

Did he really say he quit “from the area where all the managers be?”

I liked when Dr. Phil said, “I don’t care how flat you make it, someone wrote pancake on my forehead, and I ask why not?” 

1 hour ago, Tango64 said:

That smug, entitled little snowflake who flounced out of his retail job was insufferable. The way he looked at Phil and the other guy with those heavy lidded, half closed eyes told me everything about him.

He also was talking really fast and making dry mouth noises which makes me think he might have been on something.

I was interested in watching this episode, but I tuned out about halfway through because it got a little repetitive. From what I did watch, it appeared to be lumping people who've raged-quit their jobs (like the weirdo on today) with Great Resignation participants who likely thought long and hard about whether or not they should quit; I've gotten the impression that they're two different things, especially since rage-quitting was a thing before COVID even existed.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Tango64 said:

Did he really say he quit “from the area where all the managers be?”

Sounds like I missed a fun episode. Reminds me of the pathetically illiterate litigants on the court shows. By the way Phil is a psychobabble hustler.

• Love 3

I can't help but wonder why the entire in-house audience is required to wear (Dr. Phil) face masks, but Robin can't be bothered, lest she smear her lip gloss.  And I throw up a little every time Phil and Robin do that little one-squiggly-finger wave to each other when he walks on. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I don't watch Dr. Phil anymore, but I did catch a clip of the guy yelling to the store about his decision to quit his job (idiot move if wants to get hired again).  I used to mod on another message board, and we would call these folks "YAGErs"  Yet-Another-Grand-Exit.  They would leave over & over again OR they would make a spectacle about their leaving just one last time.  Something tells me this guy is going to be a professional YAGEr.

• Love 4

Watched today's episode about the woman who sent over $500,000 dollars to scammers to secure "government grants."  Her husband wasn't aware of it and has done everything possible to stop her from these ongoing scams.  What is especially sad is that there seems to be cognitive decline to blame (well, and of course the scammers are truly to blame).  My heart went to the husband (who is applying for conservatorship) as well as the wife who admitted she doesn't remember things, can't remember the names of her grandchildren, and can't recognize long-term friends.  Definitely the start of Alzheimers.  However, I was really disappointed in Dr. Phil as he absolutely offered no help (I thought he could at least put the husband in touch with experts who can help him better understand how to provide their assets and be prepared for the long and hard road upon which they are embarking).  No, instead he spent the last minutes promoting some gaming program and how it can bring people together.  Sigh.

I was wondering why the husband didn’t stop it a lot sooner. He mentioned she went into the children’s bank accounts but it also seemed like they were adults so not sure how she got into their bank accounts. Also don’t know how she could get her hands on that much money without her husband’s signature. I would think most of their accounts were joint accounts. I can see stealing a thousand out of the cash register and maybe getting a credit card with a balance of a few thousand but they didn’t look like people who would get unlimited credit. Yeah, Phil didn’t offer any kind of help.

If the bank accounts were started when the kids were minors, then there had to be a joint account, so I bet the woman was on it.   It's not automatic to get a parent off the accounts, so you have to either go to the bank to change everything to the adult child's name, or it's still joint.   It might be that the mother lied about it no longer being a joint account too, and the kids didn't check until the money was gone.   

Or the money was emptied out before the kids turned 18.   I bet if the husband ran the credit reports, that there was a lot more money gone, and more loans, and accounts he doesn't know about. 

• Love 1
On 12/17/2021 at 9:05 PM, seacliffsal said:

However, I was really disappointed in Dr. Phil as he absolutely offered no help (I thought he could at least put the husband in touch with experts who can help him better understand how to provide their assets and be prepared for the long and hard road upon which they are embarking).

This reminds me that I don't recall too many episodes (or any) where he brought on financial experts to help guests who are having money issues, like the many catfish victims that have been on over the years. The only experts he seems to acknowledge are ones involved in mental health, drug addiction and child abuse cases.

Meanwhile, this is the description for the only new episode of this week:

12/20: Dr. Phil and Robin Gave Me a New Lease on Life!

A woman who has been diagnosed with terminal cancer strives to maintain a positive outlook; another woman has been cancer-free for five years but still fears the future; pastor Joel Osteen discusses his latest book; Andy Grammer performs.

Another week of repeats:

12/27: My Husband's Cheating Went Viral

Originally aired on September 16th

12/28: The Husband, the Wife and the Mistress

Originally aired on September 17th

12/29: In Love or in Denial?

Originally aired on September 15th

12/30: Come Clean to Get Clean

Originally aired on October 4th

12/31: Stop My Brother's Idiocy

Originally aired on October 14th

I didn't see today's Dirty John repeat the first time around so I don't know if this was originally on there, but the During the Break segment was an audience raffle where three people won some appliances; a $70 gift card for an appliance cleaning product called Affresh was given out to the whole audience as well.

Here's the schedule for the first week of 2022:

1/3: Painfully Ill: Can Monica Be Saved?

Monica's life consists of lying in bed, unable to eat solid food due to C-diff; her mother, Stephanie, says taking care of Monica has become a full-time job, and gets accused of enabling her.

1/4: My Daughter-in-law Is a Witch and Turned My Son Against Me

Tammy and Mark say they haven't spoken with their son, Cory, in more than a year, because his wife, Katrina, is manipulative, mentally ill, and a Wiccan; Cory denies he's being controlled or brainwashed by Katrina.

1/5: Critical Race Theory: A Nation Divided

Parents say Critical Race Theory is being taught in K-12 schools, poisoning the minds of children and keeping racism alive; author James Lindsay calls CRT "Race Marxism"; a teacher says children need to learn about the racist history of the U.S.

1/6: Out of Control or Provoked?!

Sumyr [yes, really] says that if she says "no" to her out-of-control 13-year-old son, Ash, he hits, bites, and kicks her and sometimes hurts her pets, and he once set her car on fire; Ash's grandmother blames Sumyr for provoking Ash to violence.

1/7: Bad Teen or Bad Parents?

Junior says he has had enough of his 17-year-old daughter Ollie's stealing cars, physically fighting and running away; she says she is a normal teen doing normal teen things and that she had to raise herself during her parents' years of drug use.

8 hours ago, iHateAmpersands said:

1/6: Out of Control or Provoked?!

Sumyr [yes, really] says that if she says "no" to her out-of-control 13-year-old son, Ash, he hits, bites, and kicks her and sometimes hurts her pets, and he once set her car on fire; Ash's grandmother blames Sumyr for provoking Ash to violence.

1/7: Bad Teen or Bad Parents?

Junior says he has had enough of his 17-year-old daughter Ollie's stealing cars, physically fighting and running away; she says she is a normal teen doing normal teen things and that she had to raise herself during her parents' years of drug use.

Expand  

I guess he does this type of show for couples that cannot decide if they want children.

8 hours ago, iHateAmpersands said:

1/3: Painfully Ill: Can Monica Be Saved?

Monica's life consists of lying in bed, unable to eat solid food due to C-diff; her mother, Stephanie, says taking care of Monica has become a full-time job, and gets accused of enabling her.

Ten sessions with Dr. on Demand.  Maybe Robin will have some pointers.

• LOL 1
On 12/17/2021 at 12:12 PM, suzeecat said:

every time Phil and Robin do that little one-squiggly-finger wave to each other when he walks

Yeah. I was wondering about that "index finger hello" and why it began? So odd.

I know I'm in the minority, but I wish Dr. Phil had been around on my TV when I was a adolescent/young adult. We had nothing like him at that time and I just had to figure things out on my own. They were not things any child should have to go through alone. But I  think it would've helped me because I had nobody else to turn to. He does,quite often, give advice/encouragement that makes sense to me. Better late than never, for me.

• Love 3

I see with today’s sick woman episode he changed the chairs. Maybe just for her?

I’ve always thought I could never be a guest on Dr. Phil because I’d be so awkward trying to get into those 10-ft tall high chairs, the ones where you have to back up to it and then climb backwards.

But today’s club chairs? Yes, my favorite type. Now I can be on Dr. Phil. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 12/31/2021 at 6:34 PM, chenoa333 said:

I was wondering about that "index finger hello" and why it began? So odd.

Will have to watch Grease again and see if it was in there.  Cause that's what Robin dresses like at times.  A teenager in Grease.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Today's show with the Wiccan daughter-in-law and her judgemental MIL was giving "why did they bother airing this?" vibes until the part that revealed the (likely) reason why they did: it gave the chance for Robin to gush about her close relationship with her own daughters-in law, as well as showing off family pictures.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, iHateAmpersands said:

why did they bother airing this?" vibes until the part that revealed the (likely) reason why they did: it gave the chance for Robin to gush about her close relationship with her own daughters-in law, as well as showing off family pictures.

I wish I had family to gush about😟

Agree about those adult size high chairs on the set that guests sit in. Not everyone is over 6 feet tall like Phil. 

14 hours ago, iHateAmpersands said:

it gave the chance for Robin to gush about her close relationship with her own daughters-in law, as well as showing off family pictures.

I read somewhere one of the daughters in law was a Playboy playmate in her previous life.

3 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

I read somewhere one of the daughters in law was a Playboy playmate in her previous life.

Only the best for mysonjay.  

Meaning…a woman who’s a few pounds (or more) overweight, or has skin issues would never do.

Playboy model material only.  Others need not apply.

Edited by PsychoKlown

Next week includes a father accused of sexual abuse and a teenage "went from":

1/10: My Spoiled Daughter Falsely Accused Me of Sexual Abuse

Taylor says she experienced flashbacks of childhood sexual abuse a few years ago, after seeking therapy for depression and anxiety.

1/11: What's Behind Taylor's Alleged Flashbacks?

Taylor, who accuses her father, Larry, of sexually abusing her -- which he vehemently denies -- tells what she claims to remember from her flashbacks; the results of Larry's polygraph test.

1/12: Parenting Dilemma: Good Cop Dad vs. Bad Cop Mom

Shelly says her husband, Oggie, is always giving in to their 6-year-old daughter, Madison, because he hates any type of confrontation, but they both agree that their daughter is running the house.

1/13: From Honor Roll to Wannabe Gangster

Abby is a licensed counselor for troubled teens and doesn't understand how she can help others but not her own 17-year-old son, Aidan, who used to be a straight-A student talented in sports and cooking but now is a stealing, violent wannabe gangster.

1/14: Our Drug Addict Sister Is in Denial!

Rebecca's sisters say she is a prescription drug addict, is jobless and homeless, has lost her fiancé and custody of her child, and has been to jail; their mom says she enables Rebecca but feels she has to in order to take care of her granddaughter.