Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Let’s Talk About Dr Phil the Show

Lola16
  • Start Topic

New season started this week.  I caught todays show with the lurid topic "A Former Beauty Queen Sex Trafficked?"  

The minute I saw this woman making these allegations, I could tell that she was delusional, and it was a wrap when she told some outrageous stories:  She won a pageant back in the day and soon she had these male pageant organizers telling her she "had" to go to Mexico.  She makes these trips and ends up with multiple men, who she says raped her.  She came home with a bunch of money afterward.  Soon, she was traveling all over at the order of these mystery organizers.  Later, she is being poisoned by people at her job with bug spray put into her food.  She's starts taking activated charcoal pills to clear her mind.  Another time men broke into her house, shot her up with something.  When speaking to Phil, she names a number of people responsible for her nightmare - her sister, Harvey Weinstein, the Nexium cult members, etc.  She is on the show because she needs Phi'ls help escaping from and exposing this sex trafficking ring.

Phil told her her stories don't make sense.  They brought on her 22 year old son, Mimo, who says his mother walked out on him seven years ago.  This man had to hear his mother say her son was part of a group that drugged and raped her.   He tries to get through to Mommy but she is too deep in her sex trafficking victimhood.  This one got sad because it was clear that Mimo has lost his mother.

• Love 5

Today's show didn't seem to go anywhere, but rest assured, they got in a plug for Doctors on Demand! I felt so bad for the son; those accusations are heart-breaking.

I wish Phil and the other psychologist talked more about why the mother might feel as unsafe as she does. My gut feeling is that something traumatic certainly happened to her, but she hasn't really healed from it and now sees trauma around every corner. Instead, we got Phil getting weirdly competitive with this woman (not a direct quote, but something to the effect of "No one cares more about rape and human trafficking than ME!") and trying to force her to admit she was wrong about her son.

• Love 3

That beauty pageant lady was completely delusional. Oddly calm, cool, and collected (or, as Phil might say - detatched) but batshit crazy. The show didn't go anywhere. It was more of a conversation but everyone just talked in circles. The son, Memo, was heartbreaking, you could tell that kid saw and experienced a lot of things in his young life. His mom was hauled away to a psych ward, she had night terrors, and now accuses him of being part of a sex trafficking ring that abused her. This lady needs serious meds STAT. 

Wow re: sex-trafficking lady.  It's easy to dismiss someone who is batshit crazy when they are a raving lunatic, but this woman's cool demeanor and seemingly rational and intelligent responses have really gotten her far.  As her son accurately pointed out in the post-show, she is eager to trot out the professionals who support pieces of her narrative, but for those who question her like Phil (ok, close to a professional) she reflexively lapses into "survivors must be believed."  Her psychopathy was truly terrifying.  And of course Phil offered no help at all.  

• Love 3

Men's Rights episode.  What a shitshow of randomly (un)connected guests.  I fail to see how Phil and Robin's 1950s-style marriage demonstrates any level of equality.  Phil kept making the point that Robin is so successful now, but isn't she only known because she is riding his coattails?  I mean, her success is ultimately dependent on her husband's notoriety. Who would know who the hell Robin McGraw is without his constant on-air shilling?  Isn't this dependency on a man exactly the opposite of the point being made?

• Love 5

Oh wow, that lady is totally batshit crazy and not a single person who hears her story believes it. Just obviously crazy talk. 

Heartbreaking to see what she's doing to her son. It does make me think she beleives it sincerely, though, and isn't just seeking attention.

However, the way she resists any self assessment and plays the "believe the victims" song is reminiscent of past social frenzies in which people were accused of satanic child abuse with equally outrageous claims. The current hot topic is sex trafficking, which is a valid problem and therefore people like her can latch onto it and deflect any skepticism by saying you're terrible if you don't believe her. 

Her good looks and otherwise "not crazy" demeanor probably gets her a lot more lenience when she spouts the crazy talk. 

43 minutes ago, suzeecat said:

s'cuse me, but . . . MEMO??????

Think he has siblings named Fax and TPS Report?

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 9/7/2021 at 10:13 PM, patty1h said:

New season started this week.

The new season actually starts September 13th; the episodes airing this week are holdovers from this past season (something they do every year the week before a new season starts.). Plus, it's going to be the 20th season and you know they'll be making a big deal about that (I predict that a medium-sized "20" will be placed beside the regular logo).

Speaking of the new season, this is what the lineup is going to be in the first week (titles only from Zap2It):

13th: Murder in Mexico? Exclusive: Firefighter's Wife Claims Husband's Death Was Not an Accident

14th: The Untold Story of "Dirty John" Meehan's First Wife

15th: In Love or in Denial?

16th: Fractured Family Fall Out!

17th: Cassie's Choice: Husband or Children?

Based on this, looks like this season is going to be as boring as the last.

Edited by iHateAmpersands
  • Love 3

The official* schedule for the first week of Season 20:

9/13: Murder in Mexico? Exclusive: Firefighter's Wife Claims Husband's Death Was Not an Accident

Authorities in Cancun, Mexico, say vacationer Elijah Snow's death was an accident, but in an exclusive interview, wife Jamie reveals the evidence she says suggests he was brutally killed.

9/14: The Untold Story of "Dirty John" Meehan's First Wife

Tonia Bales (podcast "The First Wife: John Meehan's Reign of Terror") is joined by his second wife, Debra Newell (book "Surviving Dirty John: My True Story of Love, Lies and Murder") and daughter Terra Newell, who fatally stabbed him in self-defense.

9/15: In Love or in Denial?

Fran says she's in love with a man she has never met and hopes to prove to everyone that not only is their love real, but he is real too; her siblings say he is only in the "relationship" for the money -- Fran has sent him over $30,000.

*I say "official" because the episodes originally scheduled to air on Thursday and Friday ("Fractured Family Fall Out!" and "Cassie's Choice: Husband or Children?") has been replaced with the following:

9/16: My Husband's Cheating Went Viral

When Jenaye posted an emotional video online about uncovering husband James' infidelity, she never imagined it would go viral; he says he is willing to do anything to avoid losing his family; his former hairstylist creates more drama.

9/17: The Husband, the Wife and the Mistress

Jenaye meets the woman with whom her husband, James, cheated on their fifth wedding anniversary; Chelsey says she believes she has done nothing wrong -- and that she, too, is a victim.

After seeing the descriptions, the only episode that interests me is Wednesday's, but even the catfish episodes have been getting boring lately so we'll see how this one goes.

• Love 1

I just saw some photos of Phil’s birthday bash in his new Dallas house. Robin arranged for about a dozen of Phil’s best friends to come for a tennis tournament. That man can barely walk on to the stage in his new athletic shoes. How in the world can he run around for hours playing tennis?!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Today was Catfish Wednesday, with the title "In Love or in Denial?"

We meet Fran, another old fool who lives under a rock, knows how to use the internet and dating apps, but appears to not know a thing about catfishing and believes that a young, hot dude has nothing better to do than court her long distance.  He strings her along with promises of a big windfall down the line, but needs regular doses of $$ from her - she doesn't see the irony of this.   No amount of family truth penetrates her thick skull.   She confesses that she's in love with the idea of someone loving her.  She got stood up several times, sold her truck and even furniture from her house to get funds to send to him.  

She has even seen Phil expose other catfishers, but refuses to accept it's happening to her.   When Phil dropped the truth on her, all I thought was "sucker".  Another victim that I had no sympathy for and even their tears don't affect me anymore.

NOTE:  While I was typing this out, I see they have another catfish episode coming up already on Monday 9/26.  It seems that there will never be a shortage of desperate people for our entertainment.

Edited by patty1h

It’s truly sad that so many people seem to be “catfished” by Nigerians. Why are so many people sad and uninformed and frankly, delusional? I don’t know anyone who would be tricked into sending someone hundreds of thousand of dollars.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, patty1h said:

NOTE:  While I was typing this out, I see they have another catfish episode coming up already on Monday 9/26.  It seems that there will never be a shortage of desperate people for our entertainment.

There was also a short clip promoting the new season and it included what looked liked a third catfish episode coming up in the next week or two.

Today's episode was a little bit of the same-old same-old stuff you see on every catfish episode, but I think they're easier to sit through if you're doing something else at the same time (my activity of choice today was catching up on my checkbook and writing some bills).

• Love 1
On 9/14/2021 at 7:20 PM, javajeanelaine said:

I watched the show today on dirty John. There’s been a podcast by a newspaper regarding the case, a television show, and now a book by the professional victim and a podcast by the first wife. Enough already!

This show was so disappointing. I wanted to hear more from Tonia, the first wife. Robin went on and on about Debra but did not acknowledge Tonia. Tonia sounds intelligent to me. Debra does not.

I wonder about the success rate of the catfish victims. I realize that they are out of money by the time they get to Dr. Phil but I wonder if they still try to contact the catfish after the show. 

I've always thought that the catfish 'victims' are willing victims, and often are laundering money and sending purchases, and money to the fake love.  I bet if the catfished person accepts that the person who's been contacting them is fake, that they find another person to fixate on, and send money to.   

I find the catfish episodes funny, because the so-called victims defend the other person's story through the entire episode.   

I bet almost all of the 'victims' keep sending money to their online love muffin, and the few that stop find another person online that's just as phony.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
On 9/15/2021 at 1:34 PM, Gam2 said:

I just saw some photos of Phil’s birthday bash in his new Dallas house. Robin arranged for about a dozen of Phil’s best friends to come for a tennis tournament. That man can barely walk on to the stage in his new athletic shoes. How in the world can he run around for hours playing tennis?!

I have to agree with you.  Maybe he was he referee.  

But it looks like Robin has a new hairstyle more fitting with someone her age.  Dr. P sure did incorporate her "expert" opinion and advice into the Dirty John episode.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I've always thought that the catfish 'victims' are willing victims, and often are laundering money and sending purchases, and money to the fake love.  I bet if the catfished person accepts that the person who's been contacting them is fake, that they find another person to fixate on, and send money to.   

I find the catfish episodes funny, because the so-called victims defend the other person's story through the entire episode.   

My take is that the victims are actually greedy.  The catfisher always has a story about some type of inheritance or settlement they are on the verge of receiving, and the catfishee has visions of being married to a millionaire.  They consider the money they're sending as an investment in order to cash in down the line.  I do feel sorry for them for being so gullible, but they need to learn that if a story sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't.

• Love 6

Agree with last two posters.  Wonder if they would fall in "love" as quickly if the guy starts out with "I'm very poor and need money but I love you."  The money has to have something to do with it else they would join a club in their local town and meet someone real.

At least she got a sofa and chairs from either Dr. P or a sponsor.

• Love 2

Dr. Phil was really unfair to Chelsey. Jenaye is a bully and the most unlikable person on these two episodes (to be fair, James is also extremely unlikable). Chelsey believed they were separated and stopped seeing James when he told her to park across the street from the house. Very poor judgment by Dr. Phil in the treatment of the different guests on these episodes. 

I watched the two episodes this week featuring the crying-on-social-media wife and her cheating husband and his side piece.

So Robin didn't change her wardrobe between episode 1 and episode 2.  When she walked out with Dr. P at the end of the show, she was wearing a purple and green harlequin-pattern top with a black and white flower-patterned skirt.

My immediate thought:  Who dresses her now?  LuLaRoe?????

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

My two favorite catfish episodes are older, and shown on OWN.   The older woman who sent every last penny to her foreign boyfriend, refused to believe he was fake, and turned nasty on Dr. Phil and her own friends and relatives at the beginning of the episode.  You could tell that she didn't believe the man was fake.    I only hope when she ended up broke and homeless, that everyone turned their back on her, because you know any penny she could get would still go to some online fake person. 

Then the man who claimed his girlfriend was a Kennedy relative, was being held captive, had told him she died several times, and he still didn't believe his girlfriend was the woman who had the cellphone that was used to communicate with him. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

If I were married to Jenaye I’d cheat on her too. What a sanctimonious smug shrew, looking for internet drama. Thanks Dr. Phil for feeding her thirst with a national television platform. Good job.

There is only one person Jenaye should be furious with: her lying sack of shit husband. Instead she deflects her anger to one random woman (and do we really believe James has only cheated twice?) who has never even been in her house and wants nothing to do with her.

Edited by TV Glotzer
  • Love 4

I wonder if Phil just really didn't care that much about Tonia's marriage to "Dirty John" and just booked her to get Debra on to promote her new book (which Robin told us everyone must read and it is a real service to all of us).  Tonia wasn't on that long before Debra and then her daughter came out.  It was also interesting that Tonia's daughters would not allow themselves to be filmed but did record comments for the show-I bet they wish this would all just go away, but it seems like there's still some money to be made through connections to "Dirty John."

3 hours ago, TV Glotzer said:

If I were married to Jenaye I’d cheat on her too. What a sanctimonious smug shrew, looking for internet drama. Thanks Dr. Phil for feeding her thirst with a national television platform. Good job.

There is only one person Jenaye should be furious with: her lying sack of shit husband. Instead she deflects her anger to one random woman (and do we really believe James has only cheated twice?) who has never even been in her house and wants nothing to do with you.

There was no point to these episodes.  I still don't understand why it was 2-part, and I certainly didn't believe, "You won't want to miss tomorrow's Part 2!"  Both parts would have benefitted from 15-minute paid product placement segments.

Dr. Phil concluded that James had PTSD from multiple military tours, and his mental health could be permanently affected, but withheld any support.  He didn't even offer 10 free sessions of Doctor on Demand or a trip to the best-est neuroplasticity evaluation ever to James. 

Dr. Phil also didn't shut down Jenaye, when she launched into Chelsea.  And, when Jenaye threatened divorce and bragged how she had to leave, but also clung to her marriage, Dr. Phil didn't promote his Relationship Rescue books or offer his autopilot divorce advice.  In fact, he didn't even turn the subject into how wonderful he and his marriage to Robin are. 

If Dr. Phil can't even phone in his own performance or shill, he shouldn't have bothered to air these episodes.  He didn't even sink to his own low standards - which to me is the most fascinating aspect of these episodes.

Jenaye was definitely too proud of herself.  Her very first statement was something like she was so glad to be on the show.  She never asked for help or advice.  She loved being on camera, especially in the recreated scenes.

• Love 2

Unfortunately, tomorrow's two-part catfish episode will have to wait (at least) a week.

9/20: Missing Van Life Girl's Father Speaks Out: The Dr. Phil Interview

NO DESCRIPTION AVAILABLE

9/21: Beauty and the Boxer

Brian "The Bull" Barbosa, two-time Interim World Middleweight boxing champion, admits there is something seriously wrong with his brain; Dr. Phil reveals the results of a state-of-the-art brain scan he set up for Brian to take.

9/22: Van Life to Vanished: More of the Missing Girl Mystery

NO DESCRIPTION AVAILABLE

9/23: Battles of a Bulimic Cook

Dustin and his family say he's tried everything to recover from his eating disorder, but nothing has worked.

9/24: My Little 9-Year-Old Terror

Michelle says her 9-year-old son, Raymond, has screamed, cursed and punched others since the age of 3 -- and recently gave his grandmother a black eye; family members want to know if his issues are real or if he's just choosing to act out.

Edited by iHateAmpersands

They have found and identified Gabby Petito's body, and suspended the search for the boyfriend in Florida.  

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/19/us/gabby-petito-missing-sunday/index.html

I wonder if Dr. Shill will cancel the Monday and Wednesday episodes with Gabby's father, it would be the decent thing to do.   

Unfortunately, I would not be surprised if both episodes ran on schedule. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

Regarding the cheating husband social media wh*re, I was only half-listening because I couldn't believe I was even giving partial attention to these idiots.  But, did Dr. Phil ever mention how horribly immature they were?  I mean, boo-hooing on Instgram/Twitter/whatever, then coming on TV to snark and "confront" the woman who egged her house - are these people 12 years old, fighting over the captain of the football team?!?!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 9/19/2021 at 8:44 AM, TV Glotzer said:

There is only one person Jenaye should be furious with: her lying sack of shit husband. Instead she deflects her anger to one random woman

Drives me crazy when the person who was cheated on takes out their hate and ire on the man or woman with whom the partner cheated. 

That marriage/relationship/whatever was already broken. If your spouse/partner didn't hook up with that particular person, it would have been another. 

And, regarding the catfish episodes....I know these people say they are lonely but FFS, I don't feel sorry for them. Gullible doesn't begin to scratch the surface. And even if they did believe everything the catfish tells them, these "victiims" ("idiots") typically have loved ones who are trying to get them to see the truth. Do they believe that these people don't want to see them happy? If 5 people are telling you the same thing, maybe you should give it some thought?

Also, "settling the estate" excuse - come on! A lawyer will settle the estate and take payment out from the settlement. You sell your furniture? YOUR FURNITURE. And have $100 in your bank account? I'm sorry, but go ahead catfishers, have at it. Why the hell not. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Today's interview (pre-taped before Gabby's body was found) with Gabby's father, and there's another episode Wednesday, should have been cancelled.     I'm sure the father was on the show hoping for more people trying to find her, and others to give any information they had, How sad to show the man while he was holding out hope for her to be found, and then airing the shows anyway after her body was found.  

8 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Today's interview (pre-taped before Gabby's body was found) with Gabby's father, and there's another episode Wednesday, should have been cancelled.     I'm sure the father was on the show hoping for more people trying to find her, and others to give any information they had, How sad to show the man while he was holding out hope for her to be found, and then airing the shows anyway after her body was found.  

Wonder what Wednesdays show will be. Hopefully a different show will be used. Let these people grieve alone in peace.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, suzeecat said:

Regarding the cheating husband social media wh*re, I was only half-listening because I couldn't believe I was even giving partial attention to these idiots.  But, did Dr. Phil ever mention how horribly immature they were?

She is the definition of an attention whore.  

What is sad is the fate of their kid(s).  No chance at all with parents like those.

Edited by parrotfeathers
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Wonder what Wednesdays show will be. Hopefully a different show will be used. Let these people grieve alone in peace.

According to Zap2It, it's still the same topic though the title has changed:

"Van Life" to Vanished: Inside Gabby Petito's Disappearance and Death

What 22-year-old "van life" blogger Gabby Petito's final videos reveal about what might have happened to her; police release body cam footage of distraught Gabby crying about an altercation with her fiancé in the days before she disappeared.

Another episode change: Friday's show with the angry, violent 9-year-old has been replaced with yet another "capitalize on current events" show:

Flightmares

Dr. Phil meets airline passengers who filmed what became viral videos of physical altercations, verbal abuse and "entitled" behavior; two people who were kicked off their flights blame their flight attendant's "abuse of power."

Today's show is a recent update on the Gabby Petito murder. Very interesting. Now that we know Gabby is dead. 

Where is this dumbass guy Brian Laundrie? He's not a "survivalist". So he can't be in the wilderness all this time. 

And why hasn't Brian's attorney made a statement yet? 

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 1

This week's schedule (subject to change):

9/27: "Post Malone" Love Story or Scam?

Megan and Brandy say their 69-year-old grandmother, Gail, is being catfished by a scammer posing as musical artist Post Malone, and they are worried for her safety and mental health; Gail wants to prove that the relationship is real.

9/28: My Boyfriend Is Stalking Me!

Sabrina says she has a relentless, obsessed stalker who monitors her every move -- her boyfriend of six years, Harold; he says he has no choice but to stalk her because she's become "untrustworthy" ever since her "Brazilian butt lift" surgery.

9/29: My Mother, the Ex-Madam

Emily says her childhood was full of dysfunction because her mother, Linda, lived a double life as a suburban housewife and a drug-addicted "madam" who oversaw two brothels that serviced rich and powerful men.

9/30: Mexico Plastic Surgery Meltdown

Samantha says her mini gastric bypass surgery in Tijuana went terribly wrong, and when she wanted to leave the hospital, her husband, Josh, stood by and would not help her leave -- and now her fears are tearing apart her already fractured family.

10/1: Old, Bold, and Breaking the Mold

Former guest Lydia, 80, aka "Glamma," meets three wealthy eligible bachelors, who each take her on a date; Annie, 82, is a social media influencer with more than 250,000 followers; Ernestine, an 85-year-old bodybuilder, trains clients half her age.

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, iHateAmpersands said:

Megan and Brandy say their 69-year-old grandmother, Gail, is being catfished by a scammer posing as musical artist Post Malone,

Oh, come on!  Grandma Gail believes celeb Post Malone is after her cause she's so sexy and irresistible, or is this one where she's promised a big windfall if she helps old Posty by "loaning" him some $$ first?  Either scenario, I think Gail done lost it.

Next, it'll be some wacko being catfished by Queen Elizabeth or a space alien who needs money to get back to Meeepzorp.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

9/27: "Post Malone" Love Story or Scam?

As the episode started, I was finding Catfish Gail laughably gullible:  Post Malone calling with a Jamaican accent, sending him money to prove she's not after his money, fake rings, believing he's tracking her through her phone, constantly sitting in her bathtub like an old frog to feel his energy.   Then it comes out that a doctor told her that she has a "thought disorder" but she didn't believe it and didn't take the medication that was prescribed.  This one turned a little sad, but I still had a negligible amount of sympathy for Gail.

I can't remember from the many previous catfish episodes I've seen... did Phil ever find any of them having a mental issue like Gail or were those just a bunch of lonely people wishing for love?

As much as l loathe Dr Shill and am normally appalled at how he handles people with obvious mental disorders, i was surprised at the care he showed to Catfish granny Post Malone. Its clear there was something wrong mentally with her and at least he got her to see a neurologist. I was glad they didn't parade Post Malone out on stage or have him call because that would have had no point. She would simply change her fixation. Although I confess I have no idea who he is. 

• Love 2

I was surprised Phil didn’t insist he is good friends with Malone like he does with every other celebrity. I don’t know, her level of mental illness seemed beyond what is going on with the other catfish people. I thought Phil was kind of impatient with her and obviously you can’t talk sense with someone who thinks a celebrity is watching her through electrical outlets.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

The Catfishee (?) had a daughter who stated she would get power of attorney (or something similar).  I think the daughter should follow through with that as the Catfishee definitely seemed to have some other issues going on.  I found it very interesting that Phil initially stated that the psychiatrist she saw said she was fine and then it came out that no, the psychiatrist found that she had something going on for which the psychiatrist prescribed medication.  But, of course, Catfishee found that she was just fine and did not need the medication.  That was such a huge red flag that there was far more going on here (and I can't decide if Phil already knew that the psychiatrist had found an issue or if he believed the summary that had been provided to him that indicated the woman was fine.  Either way she needs help.  And, although Phil got the woman to agree to see a neurologist, I noticed that he did not offer to send her to one/pay for one.

• Love 2
On 9/27/2021 at 5:39 PM, poeticlicensed said:

Although I confess I have no idea who he is. 

Same here.  On the previews I was thinking about a fence post.  Who would know he is a real person.  That remark about her "legs being open" creeped me out.

Any notice there was no mention of Robin's podcast (did she run out of secrets)?

• LOL 2