Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Let’s Talk About Dr Phil the Show

Lola16
  • Start Topic

This show today is typical Phil--he goes after the abused woman for not reporting her husband. She is clearly terrified and when you are in the midst of something like that, it can be very difficult to get out and get help. You reality is warped and you are unsure of everything. Fuck you Phil McGraw. Why do I watch this trash?

ETA-she came there to get help and this is how he treats her? So disgusted right now-even moreso than usual when I watch this show.

Edited by GiveMeSpace
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

This show today is typical Phil--he goes after the abused woman for not reporting her husband. She is clearly terrified and when you are in the midst of something like that, it can be very difficult to get out and get help. You reality is warped and you are unsure of everything. Fuck you Phil McGraw. Why do I watch this trash?

ETA-she came there to get help and this is how he treats her? So disgusted right now-even moreso than usual when I watch this show.

I was so mad about this episode I had to turn it off. A woman is not only being abused but ill after a weight loss surgery and all he does he yell at and accuse this poor woman. He is a piece of shit!

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 5
On 9/27/2021 at 6:39 PM, poeticlicensed said:

Although I confess I have no idea who he is. 

So true.

My video guide had something to the effect Catfishing victim Post Malone boyfriend.  That was it.

I read it twice then assumed (wrongly) that Malone was the object and Post meant “after”.  For a bit I was wondering both what in fresh hell is Malone and whatever it is, it already happened but what does that have to do with catfishing?

Jeepers I’m old.

This week's episode: three troublesome daughters (including a returning guest) and continuing to exploit a family's deceased daughter. The descriptions come from Dr. Phil's site since Zap2It doesn't have them yet.

10/4: Come Clean to Get Clean

Sandy says her 32-year-old daughter, Kelli, has been using drugs and alcohol since she was a child and has overdosed countless times. Kelli’s best friend, Staci, says she fears she will be burying her before she ever becomes sober. Kelli says she has been to multiple detox and rehab centers and can’t stay clean, but Sandy says it’s because Kelli refuses to face her traumas, and they are keeping her stuck in her addiction. Does Kelli need to come clean about her traumas before she can get clean? Or, is there more to her addiction than her mother realizes?

10/5: Gabby Petito's Family Speaks Out: A Dr. Phil Exclusive

In an exclusive interview, Gabby Petito’s parents speak out all together for the first time since the 22-year-old “Van Life” vlogger's body was discovered in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. As the manhunt for her fiancé, Brian Laundrie, continues, they share their knowledge about his survival skills, and talk about the heartbreaking moment her stepfather had to identify Gabby. They also honor her life and memory, and discuss what they hope will be her legacy.

10/6: Gabby's Parents Come Together*

In part 2 of Dr. Phil’s exclusive interview with Gabby Petito’s parents, who are all sitting down together for the first time, they share where they believe Brian Laundrie may be hiding, and what they hope happens to him if he was involved in Gabby’s death. Plus, see their reaction to the latest developments in their daughter’s case.

10/7: Last Ditch Attempt to Save My Daughter

Dr. Phil welcomes back previous guest Heather and her daughter, Marissa, who was rebelling in dangerous ways, like stealing her mom’s car and smoking marijuana. Since their appearance, Heather says things have gone from bad to worse. She says Marissa has continued to steal her car, smoke weed, fail at school and get into fist fights with other girls – and allegedly has also tried to kill Heather by poisoning her with hydrocodone tablets. Watch while Dr. Phil reads a chilling text exchange in which Marissa says she has already attempted to kill her mother! Marissa denies she ever tried to poison her mother and says she was just joking around in her texts. Dr. Phil also welcomes back child behavioral psychologist Dr. Michele Borba who conducts a one-on-one session with Marissa to determine why she is lashing out in such a destructive manner. Will Dr. Phil be able to get through to Marissa? Tune in to find out!

10/8: Broken Ties and Financial Lies

Susan says her daughter, Emma, has always had a troubled life of drugs and abuse but that things took a turn for the worse when Emma’s fiancé died from an overdose leaving her alone with her two children. Emma says she blames herself for his death -- and then relied on her father, David, for financial support. David says Emma has been troubled ever since she was a teen and expects everyone to fix her mistakes. Emma’s brother, Jasper, says he is standing up for his father because Emma has been using him for too long. Emma says her family has never been there emotionally for her and has always given her money to keep her away from them. This family hasn’t been in the same room in nine years. Today, they are finally together for the first time on Dr. Phil’s stage.

*Zap2It's listings for the show has Wednesday's show titled as "Will Karen Choose Her Husband or Her Daughter?"

• Useful 1

I watched Dr Phil every episode since it started waaaay back.  But now have been 1 year "Dr Phil free".   I don't miss him at all.  Ever since Robin started to shill all her skin crap and podcasts, and Dr Phil was getting more like Maury,  being just sleazy,  I've quit.  And I don't miss it at all!  But I love reading all your comments on here, so I'll be around!  😉

• Love 7
20 hours ago, suev3333 said:

But now have been 1 year "Dr Phil free".   I don't miss him at all.

Congratulations and you didn't even have to have 10 sessions with Dr. on Demand (courtesy of mysonjay).

P.S.  I admit to watching the catfish episodes.

• Love 1

I don't believe Phil was exploiting the Petitos.  The only reason they and their attorney chose to go on that show was to get continued national attention on the case since the prime person of interest is still missing.  

Maybe it boosts Phil's ratings, but his platform is so huge, I can't fault anyone in their shoes for taking the opportunity to be on it. 

Edited by ChristmasJones
  • Love 7

What was the point of the show with the 80 year old woman (wearing the fur hats)? What’s the point of most of Phil’s shows now? It’s become embarrassing for his viewers. You’d think it would be embarrassing for him/his wife/his sons/his producers/his directors/etc. etc. etc. Shut this shit show down.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, ChristmasJones said:

I don't believe Phil was exploiting the Petitos.  The only reason they and their attorney chose to go on that show was to get continued national attention on the case since the prime person of interest is still missing.  

Maybe it boosts Phil's ratings, but his platform is so huge, I can't fault anyone in their shoes for taking the opportunity to be on it. 

Neither do I. And the Petitos are also being featured on John Walsh's show too. People in many different countries besides the U.S. watch Dr. Phil and John Walsh.

If Brian Laundrie has left the U.S. it's good to have people in Mexico, Canada etc. aware of this fugitive.

If the alleged murderer of my daughter was on the run, I would go on any and every media show to keep the public aware. I would even go on the Maury show. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Neither do I. And the Petitos are also being featured on John Walsh's show too. People in many different countries besides the U.S. watch Dr. Phil and John Walsh.

If Brian Laundrie has left the U.S. it's good to have people in Mexico, Canada etc. aware of this fugitive.

If the alleged murderer of my daughter was on the run, I would go on any and every media show to keep the public aware. I would even go on the Maury show. 

Dr. Phil contributed to their Foundation too which most likely significantly helped to get it going and influenced others to contribute as well.

I don’t mind these type of shows. It is better than the out-of-control teenager let’s blame the single-mother shows.

Edited by Showthyme
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Showthyme said:

It is better than the out-of-control teenager let’s blame the single-mother shows.

Anything is better than those!!

I may not use the term "exploit" but if Dr. P would use his resources to help all those other families whose loved ones are missing I may not mind him tooting his own horn on this particular girl.  There are thousands out there missing!  He could feature one a week!  And we could be free of the angry kids!

And you can bet sweet bippy if/when they catch that guy Dr. P will be at the forefront trying to get his "exclusive" interview!!  Complete with 10 sessions of Doc on Demand (by mysonjay).  

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Gam2 said:

What was the point of the show with the 80 year old woman (wearing the fur hats)? What’s the point of most of Phil’s shows now? It’s become embarrassing for his viewers. You’d think it would be embarrassing for him/his wife/his sons/his producers/his directors/etc. etc. etc. Shut this shit show down.

This. He did a show recently on some old lady who supposedly is delusional in love and maybe trying to send money or something? to Post Malone.

Going out on a limb to suggest more people don't know who Post Malone is vs those that do. So weird. Felt like Phil lost a bet or something on making that show. Or a PR stunt.

Maybe this show has run its course.

Edited by seasons
  • Love 2

Next week (subject to change): more true crime, a violent son and an episode with a description that includes a phrase usually used on Maury episodes.

10/11: Murder in the Suburbs

A jury convicted Chris of murdering his wife and three young children, and he is now serving four life sentences; his parents, Gail and Pierre, sit down for their first TV interview with Dr. Phil to tell him why they believe their son is innocent.

10/12: Murder in the Suburbs: Inside the SUV

Chris Vaughn's parents say they believe he is innocent of committing the murders of their three grandchildren and daughter-in-law; a private investigator hopes to get him out of prison; the attorney who fought to put him behind bars.

10/13: My Little 9-Year-Old Terror

Michelle says her 9-year-old son, Raymond, has screamed, cursed and punched others since the age of 3 -- and recently gave his grandmother a black eye; family members want to know if his issues are real or if he's just choosing to act out. [This episode was originally scheduled to air on September 24th.]

10/14: Stop My Brother's Idiocy

Carlea says that her brother, Jay, is an egotistical, untruthful narcissist who physically abused his baby mama, Cassie, and that her nephew deserves a better father.

10/15: Finding Andrea

NO DESCRIPTION AVAILABLE

Season 20 appears to be a real dud so far.

2 hours ago, seasons said:

Going out on a limb to suggest more people don't know who Post Malone is vs those that do. So weird. Felt like Phil lost a bet or something on making that show. Or a PR stunt.

I thought for sure it was going to end up being another one of those "my good friend*" catfish episodes.

*Or MyOtherSonJordan's good friend since OtherSon is also a musician and they're around the same age.

Edited by iHateAmpersands
  • Love 5
On 10/7/2021 at 8:39 PM, Gam2 said:

I'm puzzled, too.  I can only assume that he's pandering to the Medicare Advantage-eligible, because enrollment closes in December.  This episode is probably ramping up to the all-out paid info-mercial from the best insurance broker he knows via Polycom and visits from Dr. Freda Lewis-Hall, sponsored by Pfizer.

Glamma was on with her miserable daughters in January 2020.  I believe that he told them all to go to counseling, and the basement daughter to AA.   Yet, they didn't offer any update or rave about how he transformed their lives today.  He only pandered for personal compliments about his virility to pretend that Robin is the most envied woman alive.

Dr. Phil reused the clip from last year's show of her riding up her staircase, but they didn't show her hoard or the disrepair, or ask about either daughter.  And, he was no Chuck Woolery on Love Connection.  

Here's the official synopsis of her original appearance:

Lydia says she is living in her dream home with a spectacular view that reminds her of Italy and of being in love. She says she has it all: a happy second marriage, money to have hired help, and her adult daughter, Lori, living in her basement. But Lydia’s other daughter, Kim, emailed Dr. Phil because she says she’s terrified that not only is she going to inherit her mother’s overcrowded and messy mansion, but also her sister. Can Dr. Phil help Lori get out of her mother’s basement before it’s too late? You won’t want to miss this!

• LOL 1

Zap2It and Dr. Phil's site still don't have a description for Friday's episode (titled "Finding Andrea"), but I decided to look into it myself: it turns out it's also the title of a four-part docuseries (debuting Friday) about a missing mom whose secret double life might be related to her disappearance. My guess is Dr. Phil will be interviewing the family and the people who are involved in the production.

Edited by iHateAmpersands

If that guy didn’t kill his family, his parents are his worst advocates. “We haven’t asked him what happened that day because we just know our sweet boy couldn’t do it, plus we don’t believe his wife could do it, so we’re hanging on to this fantasy that they were carjacked.”

They have my greatest sympathy and I understand that they’re coping in their own way, but they do not help his case. 

And I’m making a note, if my lawyer ever tells me to show no emotion in court when they’re talking about my family being slaughtered and showing pics, fire my fucking lawyer.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

The coverage of the Petito case is important for their family and to keep national coverage on the missing boyfriend, but make no mistake, Phil is exploiting them. This case has coverage on every channel, every social media platform, every everything.  The trillion other missing people don't. So while yes, it is continuing to help this family, to say that Phil isn't doing this for his financial gain is extremely naive. Why not help another missing person then? Oh wait, because the cases won't get him as many viewers.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Jax7917 said:

The coverage of the Petito case is important for their family and to keep national coverage on the missing boyfriend, but make no mistake, Phil is exploiting them. This case has coverage on every channel, every social media platform, every everything.  The trillion other missing people don't. So while yes, it is continuing to help this family, to say that Phil isn't doing this for his financial gain is extremely naive. Why not help another missing person then? Oh wait, because the cases won't get him as many viewers.

I wonder if Dog the bounty hunter will show up soon on Dr. P.

• LOL 1

That supposed expert on the gunshots and the seat belt was not convincing at all.  Once they had him do the demo, he was nervous, fumbling and ultimately didn’t really show anything like they promised. It all looked like a very amateurish attempt at forensics, like someone who thinks they solved the JFK assassination in their basement.

If his wife was the shooter, how could he just walk away from his children? No futile efforts to revive them? No grieving over their bodies, holding and hugging them, collapsing in grief until someone finds you? You just walk off, leave them behind, and then lie about what you know of their mother killing them? 

“Tragedy onion.” Lady, I would not use that metaphor again. Gave it a shot on national television, did not land. 

• Love 2
On 10/12/2021 at 5:55 PM, Tango64 said:

That supposed expert on the gunshots and the seat belt was not convincing at all.  Once they had him do the demo, he was nervous, fumbling and ultimately didn’t really show anything like they promised. It all looked like a very amateurish attempt at forensics, like someone who thinks they solved the JFK assassination in their basement.

If his wife was the shooter, how could he just walk away from his children? No futile efforts to revive them? No grieving over their bodies, holding and hugging them, collapsing in grief until someone finds you? You just walk off, leave them behind, and then lie about what you know of their mother killing them? 

“Tragedy onion.” Lady, I would not use that metaphor again. Gave it a shot on national television, did not land. 

I almost believed that the husband didn’t do it until i saw the statement from the worker at the strip club who said that he told her he wasn’t married and didn’t have kids . Him being at the strip club technically has nothing to do with it but those serious lies does have to do with his overall character and who he is as a person . He’s a liar . I believe that seat belt / blood thing was well thought  out by him after knowing he needed an excuse as to why his blood was on it . 

On 10/8/2021 at 6:10 PM, parrotfeathers said:

Interesting he spent the last 10 minutes of the missing girl show to a lady and her beauty routine.  Weird.

That was shameless and a million kinds of wrong. Phil and his tiny eyed wife have lost their souls. Phil Super Fans? Give me a fucking Narcissistic break.

UGh-is it spelled Phans? that is even worse.

Edited by GiveMeSpace
  • Love 1
On 10/9/2021 at 7:53 PM, Grifter Lives said:

What was the point of the show with the 80 year old woman (wearing the fur hats)?

I enjoyed this segment. It was fun to watch. The dating thing? Loved it.

Yesterday's show was great, when Dr. Phil went back to his basic format. A man named Jay was on who was an abusive guy with a boatload of issues stemming back to when his mom abandoned him has a child. This is Dr. Phil at his best, dealing with psychological issues. I want to hear about relationship issues between people as well - what happened to them to become this way and figuring out a plan to get them to a good place. This could be between couples, siblings, friends, mom and daughter (adult) whatever. Real counseling.

No more news stories!! I can get news stories up the wazoo in other places. This show was originally not meant to delve into what I can watch on the news. He's doing more and more of those and I am just so not interested. I also see no reason for two-parters. It's quite frustrating - the show looks promising and I tune in, only to find out the "real stuff" happens in the segment the following day, and that day I'm not available to watch. I have just wasted one hour of my time.

Also, no more drug-related or anorexia stories. Been there, done that. Just keep to the original premise of the show, that's all I ask. :)

Edited to add: I like the catfish stories. Can't help it!

Edited by Breedom
Forgot the catfish stories!
  • Love 1

This week's schedule*: another jerk stepfather, another out-of-control son, another true crime episode and the return of an old friend.

10/18: Mom, Divorce Your Husband Now!

Keira says that when she was 15, her mother, Karen, chose to move across the state to be with her husband, James, leaving her behind and forcing her into foster care; a few years ago he called her a racial slur, and her mother still chose his side.

10/19: Will Karen Choose Her Husband or Her Daughter?

Keira and her stepfather, James, face off after discussing an argument they had two years ago that led to James calling Keira a racial slur; James also admits to hitting Keira when she was a child; Keira's mother returns to the stage without her.

10/20: Social Media Challenge Got My Teen Expelled

Heather's son, Trenton, 14, was expelled from school for four months after he was caught on camera destroying school property and stealing a sign; she and her fiancé, Michael, say Trenton's behavior has started to tear apart their relationship.

10/21: Shaming and Blaming

Fallon was rejected by a party bus heading to a nightclub because of her appearance; a video went viral after Korisa fell into an icy lake; Eric wants Taylor to work out with him and eat healthier; rock star Nikki Sixx (memoir "The First 21") [likely published by MySonJay's publishing company].

10/22: Getting Richard Glossip off Death Row

Dr. Phil interviews death row inmate Richard Glossip, 58, who says he was wrongfully accused of the murder of Barry Van Treese in January 1997; CEO of Lava Media and the founding member of The Innocence Project, Jason Flom.

*Assuming there isn't another current event that Dr. Phil wants to exploit cover immediately.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 9/30/2021 at 7:57 PM, Madding crowd said:

I was so mad about this episode I had to turn it off. A woman is not only being abused but ill after a weight loss surgery and all he does he yell at and accuse this poor woman. He is a piece of shit!

Is this the episode you are describing?

On 10/17/2021 at 12:49 PM, iHateAmpersands said:

This week's schedule*: another jerk stepfather, another out-of-control son, another true crime episode and the return of an old friend.

*Assuming there isn't another current event that Dr. Phil wants to exploit cover immediately.

• The same publisher - Hachette Group - has published Nikki Sixx's book and Dr. Phil's books. 
  • Jason Flomm is one of the most recent or upcoming guests on Dr. Phil's podcast, Phil in the Blanks. 

I'm sure that he'll still have other paid segments on video games, skin care, Dr. on Demand, or something else on this week's episodes.

On 10/15/2021 at 12:10 PM, Breedom said:

I enjoyed this segment. It was fun to watch. The dating thing? Loved it.

Yesterday's show was great, when Dr. Phil went back to his basic format. A man named Jay was on who was an abusive guy with a boatload of issues stemming back to when his mom abandoned him has a child. This is Dr. Phil at his best, dealing with psychological issues. I want to hear about relationship issues between people as well - what happened to them to become this way and figuring out a plan to get them to a good place. This could be between couples, siblings, friends, mom and daughter (adult) whatever. Real counseling.

No more news stories!! I can get news stories up the wazoo in other places. This show was originally not meant to delve into what I can watch on the news. He's doing more and more of those and I am just so not interested. I also see no reason for two-parters. It's quite frustrating - the show looks promising and I tune in, only to find out the "real stuff" happens in the segment the following day, and that day I'm not available to watch. I have just wasted one hour of my time.

Also, no more drug-related or anorexia stories. Been there, done that. Just keep to the original premise of the show, that's all I ask. :)

Edited to add: I like the catfish stories. Can't help it!

I feel like he does a lot of news stories now because he’s running out of other content and that’s an easy fill ( or Phil 😉.) 

He’ll do a story about a murder that took place 20 years ago . That’s what the ID channel is for . 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Grifter Lives said:

another out-of-control son

I managed to sit through just a few minutes of that episode.  I was left wondering (after the 9 year old had ripped off the fake nails of the "trained intervenor" or whatever she was) as she restrained him--what's going to happen in a couple of years when that kid is too big to put in a bear hold?  (She said it hurt but that's what the kid wanted--to get some response from her about the fact that he was hurting her.)  He's going to end up killing someone in his family when they cross him.  

And Dr. Phil nor mysonjay can fix him.

But I did enjoy Dr. Sophy's input.  He didn't sugarcoat it at all.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

I think the best thing that Keira could do was run far, far away from her mother and stepfather who both looked they stepped right out of the movie "Get Out".

image.png.0b69d56a9e96cd71dbe856711c58021b.png

image.png.36221f5b9f2f591833c7864b5f7d3c24.png

Was it just me, or was the audience especially hooty-and-hollery for this show? It was more like a Maury episode than the usual quiet crowd.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, torontomeridith said:

Was it just me, or was the audience especially hooty-and-hollery for this show? It was more like a Maury episode than the usual quiet crowd.

I thought Dr. Phil looked weak against the step-father. He just didn't bring out the big guns, he just sat there passively as the step-dad (was it James?) took total control. The audience was probably rooting for Dr. P to say SOMETHING, anything to put this guy in his place. He only had a couple of one-liners, and then the audience cheered.

This particular show had fantastic potential to make it a great show, but it kinda just dragged along, with Dr P letting James take over. Dr P was in his element and he could have taken it up several notches! Just a totally different energy level from his early shows.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, torontomeridith said:
4 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

I think the best thing that Keira could do was run far, far away from her mother and stepfather who both looked they stepped right out of the movie "Get Out".

image.png.0b69d56a9e96cd71dbe856711c58021b.png

image.png.36221f5b9f2f591833c7864b5f7d3c24.png

Expand  

Was it just me, or was the audience especially hooty-and-hollery for this show? It was more

I think it was because of the ridiculous things that the white man was saying.

• Love 2
On 10/20/2021 at 1:07 PM, iHateAmpersands said:

It appears that Brian Laundrie might have been found dead, so I bet on either tomorrow's or Friday's show getting replaced with a Dr. Phil update so he can interview Gabby's family again for their reaction.

Exactly what I hate. Like I mentioned previously, how is this topic relevant to what his show is about? There are news sources where I can go to find out more info if I want to, not the Dr. Phil show. Dr. Phil is not "Dateline", "Investigation ID" or any other of dozens of news outlets.

• Love 4
On 10/19/2021 at 5:46 AM, parrotfeathers said:

I managed to sit through just a few minutes of that episode.  I was left wondering (after the 9 year old had ripped off the fake nails of the "trained intervenor" or whatever she was) as she restrained him--what's going to happen in a couple of years when that kid is too big to put in a bear hold?  (She said it hurt but that's what the kid wanted--to get some response from her about the fact that he was hurting her.)  He's going to end up killing someone in his family when they cross him.  

And Dr. Phil nor mysonjay can fix him.

But I did enjoy Dr. Sophy's input.  He didn't sugarcoat it at all.

That kid needs to be locked up somewhere.  He’s a danger to everyone around him.  The female psychologist (or whatever she was) was nothing but a joke.  I kept hoping Dr. Shill would send the kid to live her for a year or two.

• Love 2

This week's schedule (subject to change):

10/25: Is My Fiancee Cheating with the Mailman?

Tom says Teaka is cheating on him with his friends, neighbors, co-workers, and even the mailman; Teaka swears she's never cheated on Tom and claims he has turned her into a prisoner in their home.

10/26: Dr. Phil Celebrating 20 Years

Inspirational updates on memorable guests and highlights of some of the best moments of the past 20 seasons.

10/27: Dr. Phil: 20 Years Changing Lives

Dr. Phil catches up with memorable guests; a daughter who faked 10 pregnancies; an extremely violent 12-year-old; a former all-star athlete turned heroin addict.

10/28: Love or Larceny: My Father's Fiance Is Fake

Brittany claims her dad, Charlie, is being scammed by his online fiancée; Charlie says he gave his fiancée over $25,000 and she hasn't paid him back, despite her promises to do so.

10/29: Charlie Meets His "Fiancee" Face-to-Face

Dr. Phil continues his conversation with Brittany, who says her dad is being scammed by his fiancée.

Monday's show sounds like a Maury episode with that "cheating with the mailman" accusation. How long before we hear "I'm 1,000% sure I'm not the father, Maury Dr. Phil!"?