Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Let’s Talk About Dr Phil the Show

Lola16
  • Start Topic

22 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

A new angle for the camera!

Yesterday I had a bug fly in my mouth and I accidentally swallowed it. Gag!! This is my wish for Robin, to cure her of this over-the-top flabbergasted look. It's not becoming of her or her husband's profession.

Perfect capture, Parrotfeathers!

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
On 5/27/2022 at 3:42 PM, parrotfeathers said:

A new angle for the camera!

This has to be deliberate. She must think she looks younger when she does that or something. The evidence? Well, this is the pose for her promotional photos for her podcast and we get a variation of this pose every episode of the Shill Show.

image.png.2aace0327cd9b5b88fe687205e30bc9f.png

• Love 4

Just when we thought the show was done for the season, the good ol' doctor is capitalizing on doing an episode today about the Texas school shooting:

Texas Shooting: Enough Is Enough

After a mass shooting at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, in which two teachers and 19 children were killed, Dr. Phil dedicates his show to speaking out about how these senseless acts of murder must stop.

8 hours ago, iHateAmpersands said:

Just when we thought the show was done for the season, the good ol' doctor is capitalizing on doing an episode today about the Texas school shooting:

There is no event too tragic for Shill to exploit. Didn't HisSonJay have a large arsenal displayed in his home?

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

Today's episode repeat from February 2022. The guy named Kyle who has fathered 40 children with 11 more on the way. He's a sperm donor. He is also a moron, a fame whore, unattractive and who da phuck would want HIS sperm to be the father of their child? 

All I can say is, stop the world I want to get off. Now!

Edited by chenoa333
  • Like 2
  • Love 4
On 5/31/2022 at 7:10 PM, GiveMeSpace said:

This has to be deliberate. She must think she looks younger when she does that or something. The evidence? Well, this is the pose for her promotional photos for her podcast and we get a variation of this pose every episode of the Shill Show.

image.png.2aace0327cd9b5b88fe687205e30bc9f.png

Robin, please stop. I think she's in her sixties and there is absolutely nothing wrong with acting with a little sophistication, dressing current and beautifully but age appropriate. This kind of  1960's peace sunglasses look is very dating and doesn't do her justice at all. Don't try and look young and playful. There is nothing wrong with being in your sixth decade! You are not an old lady, but you are also not a young teenager. I wonder what Dr. Phil thinks. She's trying to go back in time and he must know there is an issue there, but most likely doesn't want to tell her.

On 6/3/2022 at 3:51 PM, chenoa333 said:

The guy named Kyle who has fathered 40 children with 11 more on the way.

Picture the disappointment his family must have for him.

• Applause 1
  • Love 4

The reruns on OWN today are so infuriating.    A couple of heroin addicts who had their children taken away are sitting there, nodding off, and Dr. Phil is offering them rehab they obviously don't want.   I hope the aunt who had the kids when this was filmed, still has them.  How anyone like the parents can claim a woman with six kids wanted to add the other two kids to her house is nuts. 

Then there's the older rerun where the woman has her two year old daughter living in her home with a registered sex offender boyfriend.    In spite of a statement from the victim of the boyfriend, and his admission to police that there are many other victims, the girlfriend claims her daughter is safe with him in her home.    

Then the "Vindictive Ex-Wife or an Erratic Ex-Husband Using His Religion to Excuse his Behavior" the father has assaulted his stepson, the daughter is a psychological wreck from the so-called father.    The ex husband's new wife is on Methadone, and the kid he had with the current wife was born addicted too.   The ex-wife isn't a peach, but at least she's trying.  The father says horrible things to the daughter, and the ex husband is so stoned on stage, His current wife looks totally out of it on stage too.    

• Love 4

Love the idiots dragged on here by their angry kids, who are enraged that Mom or Dad is pissing away their inheritance, on some stupid on-line scam, and they're willing to believe this fat bald, egomaniac but won't listen to their own families?!!!

Have them committed. And then call the cops.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, limestation said:

.....  and they're willing to believe this fat bald, egomaniac but won't listen to their own families?!!!

That's because, as that ole country boy says, he don't have a dog in the hunt.

(edited)

I guess the recent Dr. Phil on the regular channel might have been a rerun, but I never heard about it.  It's dated 2021.    A man named Christopher Vaughn was found in his SUV, with all 3  of their kids shot to death, his wife was dead in the front passenger seat, and Mr. Vaughn had two wounds.   He claimed the wife did it.    However, he claims he pulled over, heard the shots, and jumped into his seat to wrestle the gun away from the wife, and failed. so he didn't get in the SUV in time to stop her while she shot all three kids to death, shot him (not life threatening) twice, and then herself.       

His story is in a letter to his gullible father, years after the case when Chris Vaughn claims he remembered nothing.   

Then, he had a couple of years old policy on the wife for $1 million, it went into escrow, and after the conviction her family received it.    His father is a fool, he claims all kinds of things that he has no knowledge about first hand.    The husband was a regular at strip clubs, father denies he had lap dances, as if that makes a difference.   Mother claims he couldn't have done this, because there were wrapped christmas presents in the house.    The parents are as delusional as Chris Watts' family is.  

His family claims he's innocent.   It took only an hour for a conviction by the jury.  

The reasons people like the reporter gave for his innocence were ludicrous.      Mostly she claimed that she hadn't heard about the case, so what?    And he didn't look guilty.   

The Vaughn family claimed the wife did it.   But, someone gets off six shots, sitting next to you, and you can't react?   Also, if anyone was depressed, he was,  The wife had medications in her bloodstream, but he didn't.   He also wanted to run off to the Yukon, and live in the wilderness.   

Dr. Phil said that someone who faked their own shooting would shoot himself in the leg, or somewhere easier, than shooting himself in the wrist.   Is Phil kidding?   A superficial wrist wound won't take you out as fast as a leg wound, and if you put on a tourniquet, the wrist wound is survivable, a leg wound might not be.     

I think the jury got it right.    Giving the Vaughn family and their supporters is as despicable as giving Chris Watts' family a forum to claim he was innocent.   

The rerun with the stepdaughters who were molested by the stepfather, who took an Alford plea, is on the sex offender registry, and his wife was convicted of endangerment for ignoring abuse she knew about.   Plot twist, one sister recanted. 

However, the other two are very specific about physical and sexual abuse, the father's police statement is full of physical and other abuse.     So, everyone passes their polygraph, and so Dr. Phil says it's because everyone believes what they said, so the poly doesn't show the lies.     So, Dr. Phil's solution is to send everyone in twos and threes to some treatment ranch.  Tell me Dr. Phil and his buddies won't have abusers, the enabling mother, and the victims there at the same time.   Ridiculous. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Anyone catch the woman Jane who gave away around $1 million to a love scammer named Jonathon?  This guy got her to sell her HOUSE!!!  She made a comment about it "closing soon" on the show, so I was hoping to hear that Dr. Phil would help her work with the buyers to possibly cancel the sale.  I think she is one of the most extreme cases of this I've seen on this show.  It reveals how desperate people can become to feel loved and wanted by someone. I am amazed that people continue to fall for these.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, ChristmasJones said:

so I was hoping to hear that Dr. Phil would help her work with the buyers to possibly cancel the sale.  I think she is one of the most extreme cases of this I've seen on this show.

Well if he did he would be congratulating himself to no end because he rarely does anything without telling everyone how wonderful he is.  Scamming old women would be a wonderful cause for Robin, but it's probably not exotic enough for her to be helping women closer to her own age. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, ChristmasJones said:

Anyone catch the woman Jane who gave away around $1 million to a love scammer named Jonathon?  This guy got her to sell her HOUSE!!!  She made a comment about it "closing soon" on the show, so I was hoping to hear that Dr. Phil would help her work with the buyers to possibly cancel the sale.  I think she is one of the most extreme cases of this I've seen on this show.  It reveals how desperate people can become to feel loved and wanted by someone. I am amazed that people continue to fall for these.

I watched part of it.  To be honest, I usually watch the love scams to try to make sure that I don't fall for it.  Most of these poor women seems to be either divorced or widowed (I've never married) and I'm not sure if their previous spouse was the one who handled the financial matters in the relationship.
It's hard for me to imagine a woman who had worked for her money and knew what she needed to get through life, could really give up a million dollars and sell her house.

• Love 3
(edited)

They're rerunning the Jane and Jonathan episode at 10 am Central this morning.  I can't believe this woman believed some scammer over four banks that refused to service her accounts.   Too bad she can't cancel the house sale, but if I had a contract to buy her house, then I would tell her to pound sand if she wanted to cancel.    

She's sent him $826k, plus $140k, then it equals $966k. If she is stupid enough to send the scammer the $140k he wants from her house proceeds.     

Jane admits to sending almost a million to this scammer.    She actually believes that when she gets his debts paid off, they'll meet, get married, and he'll get his $8 million plus that he's owed.   

The preview for part 2 is Phil showing Jane that her 'boyfriend' is a phony.   It's on 10-11 a.m. Central on OWN tomorrow. 

I stopped feeling sorry for these so-called victims a long time ago. 

In my opinion the most ridiculous guest Phil had was the wife of the man who had sent every penny they owned to various girlfriends in Mexico.    Including going to Mexico to meet one of the women.   Even after she found out that their retirement, and all of their money was gone, and the house would be foreclosed on, she refused to divorce him.    The followups Phil's had over the years shows the catfish victims are not victims, but willing partners.   

Part 2 of Jane and Jonathan.    Phil proves the man of her dreams doesn't exist.   The man in the Jonathan picture is actually named Ed,   Unfortunately, my recording cut off early.   Just after Jane talked to Ed in person, and then another woman also scammed by Jonathan.   

My guess is Jane claims she won't send money to Jonathan, I bet she won't believe he's fake, just as some other catfish victims didn't.    I bet if Jane doesn't send money to Jonathan, she'll find another fake romance to waste her money on. 

There was a follow up on several of the catfish episodes, and one woman was on the show, Phil and staff proved the man didn't exist, and after the show the scammer called her and she send him more money.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The followups Phil's had over the years shows the catfish victims are not victims, but willing partners.   

And some of them say "I wanted a Christian."   Damnit lady there's got to be a church somewhere near you.  Your luck would have to be just as good there.

• Love 7

"My Ex Is a Terrible Parent and a Danger to Our Children".  2016 rerun, on OWN.  Chis and ex-wife Kelly are both awful.  But when Chris sent a text to the 14 year old daughter saying the mother was letting her daughter sleep with a registered sex offender, and how wrong that was, the only thing Phil says is the father was bad for saying the mother was a bad mother.   

Maybe Phil should realize hauling out the "I'm a mandated reported" garbage when he isn't, is stupid.  He hasn't been a licensed psychologist for years.    The mother is an alcoholic, lets the 14 year old drive to go grocery shopping, has sex offenders sleeping with her kids, and Phil's idea is a co-parenting plan?   Also, supposedly another boyfriend of the mother had one of the kids blow into his breathalyzer on his vehicle, because of his DUI convictions, and he was blitzed.  The truck wouldn't start without a clean breath test (I know that's not the real name of the device, but it's really called an ignition interlock)   Useless. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

The show has laid off 25 staffers before the new season starts.

“Going into season 21, we streamlined production to ensure longevity. As is typical of this process there were some roles we discovered that we could reduce yet still deliver our dynamic, forward-thinking program,” a spokesperson for “Dr. Phil” said.

Hopefully this is a sign that the end is near, but I have a feeling it's going to be renewed yet again.

• Sad 1
  • Applause 1
On 8/31/2022 at 5:01 PM, iHateAmpersands said:

Hopefully this is a sign that the end is near, but I have a feeling it's going to be renewed yet again.

I lowered my tier on DISH recently so don't get OWN anymore so I'll have to see what local channel the new season will be on (if any).

Surely he'll keep that girl that yells "5,4,3,2,1"  else how will the cameraman know when to start rolling?  For some reason "they" think it's terribly important we all see how complicated it is.  

Maybe he'll get Robin off the payroll?

• Like 1

Next week is the annual pre-Season Premiere Burn-Off Extravaganza; here's the episodes that weren't good enough to air during the regular season:

9/6: My Mother-in-Law Is an Emotional Roller Coaster

Tiffany has allowed her mother-in-law, Nellie, to live with her family several times, but it did not go well; her husband, Chris, says he's extremely concerned for his mother's wellbeing, and wonders whether they should move her back into their home.

9/7: A Catfish Faces His Victims

Social media influencer White Plastic faces off with his victims, whom he admits he's enjoyed catfishing; they want Dr. Phil to stop him and help him realize that what he is doing is hurting people.

9/8: Imprisoned by My Anxiety

Lisa says her boyfriend Ted's anxiety has completely taken over both of their lives; simple things like picking out his outfit for the day, cooking, or going up the stairs can overwhelm him, so she does these things for him.

9/9: Deception Detection

Body language and human behavior experts teach how to identify clues as to what people may be saying through their body language; they break down Dr. Phil's interview with Erin Caffey and R. Kelly's unbelievable sit-down with Gale King.

On 9/2/2022 at 2:54 PM, parrotfeathers said:

May watch 2 of them.  Don't care about white plastic idiot.

Lol! I watched him. This guy could be the worlds biggest white plastic A-hole. But he does have some mad skills with applying eyeliner!

Edited by chenoa333
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 9/2/2022 at 2:54 PM, parrotfeathers said:

May watch 2 of them.  Don't care about white plastic idiot.

What went so wrong in this guy’s life for him to turn out so damaged? I wish Dr Phil would have delved into that. This guy was pathetic and sad. What a wasted life.

The new season promos don’t seem promising. They seemed focused on news events. Like I’ve said before, I don’t tune into Dr. Phil to hear about the news, I go elsewhere for that. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Re the White Plastic episode:  I don’t believe for a minute that these “influencers” (🙄) were duped and abused by this guy. The whole thing is just a scheme for a bunch of losers to get some more attention and followers. 
Laughed when the bad guy questioned why he would have to scam people when he has a “multi-thousand-dollar business.” Later adjusted to “multi-hundreds.”

Re second segment: Bad wig on that girl. 

Awwww, she took off the wig in the end and they hugged. Now I feel content. 

• Like 3
On 9/7/2022 at 7:41 PM, Breedom said:

The new season promos don’t seem promising. They seemed focused on news events. Like I’ve said before, I don’t tune into Dr. Phil to hear about the news, I go elsewhere for that. 

They don't have the descriptions yet, but the TV listings on Zap2It show the titles for the first week and they're all topical "ripped from the headlines" stuff:

Monday: Abortion
Tuesday: Anti-Asian Hate
Wednesday: Anti-Semitism
Thursday: School Shooters
Friday: Inclusivity in Schools

If this is what the whole season is going to be like, I suspect it's another way of cutting costs since I imagine these kind of shows are cheaper to produce.

Edited by iHateAmpersands
  • Sad 4
1 hour ago, iHateAmpersands said:

They don't have the descriptions yet, but the TV listings on Zap2It show the titles for the first week and they're all topical "ripped from the headlines" stuff:

Monday: Abortion
Tuesday: Anti-Asian Hate
Wednesday: Anti-Semitism
Thursday: School Shooters
Friday: Inclusivity in Schools

If this is what the whole season is going to be like, I suspect it's another way of cutting costs since I imagine these kind of shows are cheaper to produce.

Wow, totally what I am NOT interested in from Dr. Phil.  I'll be deleting these from my dvr without watching.

• Like 6

Just watching an old episode on OWN. October 23 2017. Something about a "controlling hoarding stepmother." The stepmother hoards lots of animals: dogs, cats, a sheep (?) snakes and pet mice. Phil has a representative from animal control in the audience who is going to the hoarders home to rescue the dogs.

Not one word about rescuing the cats (shown living in cat carriers). No mention of rescuing the sheep (?) living in a small 4x4 cage. No mention of rescuing the snakes that are living in small glass containers.

Yeah we get it Phil. Your'e a dog lover and have no compassion for ANY other species.

Hopefully animal control rescued ALL of those abused pets. Not just the dogs. Even though I've known phil is a "dog lover only" I still need to say: Phuck you Phil. 

Edited by chenoa333
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 9/9/2022 at 5:56 PM, chenoa333 said:

Not one word about rescuing the cats (shown living in cat carriers). No mention of rescuing the sheep (?) living in a small 4x4 cage. No mention of rescuing the snakes that are living in small glass containers.

Oh, come on.  The dog shelter representative may have been the person most available at the time.  This isn't Animal Planet.  

1 hour ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

Oh, come on.  The dog shelter representative may have been the person most available at the time.  This isn't Animal Planet.  

No it isn't the Animal Planet.  It's Dr. Phil. If he's going to get rescue organizations for the dogs, then rescue the other abused animals too. What's wrong with that? 

• Like 2
On 9/14/2022 at 2:06 PM, chenoa333 said:

No it isn't the Animal Planet.  It's Dr. Phil. If he's going to get rescue organizations for the dogs, then rescue the other abused animals too. What's wrong with that? 

He did.  He just didn't mention it on TV because it's a 40-minute show.  Are you familiar with editing?

3 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

He did.  He just didn't mention it on TV because it's a 40-minute show.  Are you familiar with editing?

Was that information available on his website? Is that where you got the info? 

I like Dr. Phil and I very rarely have anything negative to say about him or his advice etc. And yes, I am familiar with "editing". 

• Love 2

Next week: more headline ripping.

9/19: How to Survive Inflation

Credit card advice, grocery ideas and coupon tricks could save people thousands of dollars; what is happening with the economy; budgeting advice from a mother of eight.

9/20: Horror Hazing: Left Blind and Paralyzed

Pledging a fraternity can mean a lot of drinking, and many young men have died of alcohol poisoning as a result; Danny Santulli had a blood alcohol content six times the legal limit and severe brain damage; surveillance video of what happened to him.

9/21: Deadly Brotherhood: The Fight to Stop College Hazing

Former fraternity brothers have been sentenced for their part in the alcohol poisoning death of 20-year-old Stone Foltz, one of the most prominent faces of the national epidemic; his family, fellow pledges and girlfriend give insight.

9/22: America's Short Fuse: Afraid to Leave the House

Some people feel that they can do anything to anyone, that rules just don't apply to them, and if they don't like something, they have the right to intimidate, verbally abuse or even physically assault strangers.

9/23: Student Loan Forgiveness: Worth It or Raw Deal?

Federal student loan borrowers' automatic forgiveness kicks off a nationwide debate; Dr. Phil speaks with people on both sides of the issue.

If this is their way of cutting costs like they did with the staff layoffs, then I suspect we won't be seeing too many catfish episodes this season since they no doubt are expensive to produce.

• Like 1

OWN Rerun, "Ultimate Moochers from 2012.      The first case the people got a job out of state, tried to sell the house, and couldn't, so they locked it up and winterized it.    Then, some squatters a scammer sold it to broke in, and won't leave, and the authorities won't do a damn thing.   

Dr. Phil tells the wife that she should be fine with that because she still has her husband and kids.    Who is he kidding!    They are on the hook for taxes, insurance, mortgage, and you know the squatters don't do any maintenance or anything else,and are probably trashing the house, and selling anything they can. 

Then, he says Bank of America with work with them.    I bet the squatters never left, and the family lost everything. 

Then, the couple bought a big house with a garage MIL apartment upstairs.   But they moved into the apartment, and let daughter and three kids move into the main house, then her husband moves in (don't know if they're husband's kids or not).

The couple haven't received rent in almost a year, the mother pays for daughter's car when it gets repo'd (mother paid twice to get the car back), insurance, all of the bills for the kids, and the daughter's paying nothing on utilities, so you know the mother's paying that off.     

The daughter is 'going through a rough patch' , and tried to run over the gutless father on at least one occasion.     Her only statement about that is that if she wanted her father dead, he would be.   The mother's solution is daughter moves, and leaves the kids behind for grandma to raise.      You know the daughter will never move and give the kids up, because it's her leverage against the parents.     

Phil's solution is to give them 90 days with his useless counselors,, and then if the family dynamic doesn't change, then they should evict daughter and kids.   You know the gutless parents won't do that, and daughter won't stop being a freeloader.   I bet the situation is exactly the same.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Applause 2

https://www.foxnews.com/us/reesa-trexler-dna-clears-sister-jodie-laird-dr-phil

I'm watching the OWN rerun of the Reesa Trexler murder, which happened in 1984, where there is another woman who has harassed, and posted hideous accustations about the woman's sister being the murderer.  The article above is one of many that tell the truth, someone else did the murder, and the sister is innocent.    

At the end of the episode when the polygraph, and other evidence exonerates Jodi, the accuser apologizes.  That doesn't make up for all of these years of accusations against Jodi, and the harassment this woman led.  The woman's apology didn't sound genuine either. 

So, a 2017 rerun on OWN ""My Wife of 18 Years and Mother of Our Four Children" wants to dump husband and 4 kids, move to her love muffin in Kenya, who is 26 to her 45 or so, marry him.   Then bring him to the U.S., get dual citizenship, live part of the year in Kenya and part in the U.S.     At least the investigator actually finds the man, so a catfish that exists.   

The wife's back up plan is to have 50/50 custody of her children with the husband.   Husband's deluded if he thinks he's going to stop a divorce, or go to Kenya and break them up without ending up in jail in Kenya.    However, the wife, fiance, whatever is deluded if she thinks she can get 50/50 custody, and still have money to support her boyfriend in Kenya, or import this guy.  

Current husband is wrong, no way this woman is a potential sex trafficking candidate.   This is the second time woman has been in a long term relationship with some person she doesn't know anything about, and the first one dumped her. 

How does she think she's going to get the money to finance all of this?   She's not going to get 50/50 custody when she's not even in the country, She's not going to get to take the kids overseas, or get alimoney or whatever she thinks she'll support herself with.    If it doesn't work out with Kevin, the minister, then she says the husband will take her back. 

I think this is the only catfish on Phil's many catfish shows that actually was a real person. 

The woman's mother telling her 'I won't let you go to Kenya" is ludicrous.     The husband should divorce her now, wave bye-bye, and watch her fall on her face.   The husband's a fool if he takes her back.   Dr. Phil's solution is 90 days of counseling for the current husband, and wife, with no contact with the boyfriend/fiance.     Stupid idea Phil.

I wonder if she even researched immigration from Kenya, or dual citizenship?   Because my research says Kenya doesn't allow dual citizenship, to become a citizen there, you have to renounce your current citizenship, and if a Kenyan becomes a citizen of the U.S. or any other country, your Kenyan citizenship is revoked.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Applause 1

The headline ripping continues into next week:

9/26: Are Athletes Being Coached to Be Untouchable?

Parents and coaches debate who is to blame for child athletes' entitled behavior; a referee who wrote an emotional email to parents informing them he was quitting; a former all-American quarterback talks about the dark side of college sports.

9/27: Athletes Behaving Badly or Targets for False Accusations?

Women say they were sexually assaulted by college athletes and there is a double standard when it comes to athletes accused versus typical students; attorney says athletes are the victims and their fame makes them easy targets for false accusations.

9/28: Deceived to Death: The Fentanyl Crisis in America

Street drugs and counterfeit prescription pills are laced with Fentanyl, a deadly synthetic opioid; Feliz lost her sister to a mass Fentanyl poisoning that killed five adults; John says he watched both his sons overdose in his home.

9/29: Quiet Quitting: Lazy Employees or Taking a Stand?

Quiet quitting has become a movement by people of all ages; an employment and labor attorney, a young man who says he is currently quiet quitting, and business owners discuss; behind the scenes of the new show "So Help Me Todd."

9/30: Appropriation Nation: Has It Gone Too Far?

A woman says she received death threats for wearing a dress from another culture; another says she was called out for cosplaying a Japanese anime character; a third says people need to stop stealing other cultures' foods and calling them their own.

Well, Saturday again and the website posts the shows for next week -- Clearly the new season is going to be discussions of social issues, as there hasn't been an individual one last week or next.  (The show about college fraternity hazing, which I didn't watch, had the one story [heartbreaking] featured but did I think focus on the custom generally.)

So, no catfish stories, and that was my main interest.

Someone above mentioned their having cut their staff, which I hadn't heard about.   It all doesn't look promising.  I'm guessing that others are like me and not drawn to the one-and two-episode 'discussion' shows?

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 9/24/2022 at 10:53 AM, Chippings said:

Well, Saturday again and the website posts the shows for next week -- Clearly the new season is going to be discussions of social issues, as there hasn't been an individual one last week or next.  (The show about college fraternity hazing, which I didn't watch, had the one story [heartbreaking] featured but did I think focus on the custom generally.)

So, no catfish stories, and that was my main interest.

Someone above mentioned their having cut their staff, which I hadn't heard about.   It all doesn't look promising.  I'm guessing that others are like me and not drawn to the one-and two-episode 'discussion' shows?

My understanding is the shows like Phil's are all pitched by individual segment producers, and the show staff simply pick the ones they want to air.   Then, they give Phil a briefing sheet outlining what the script is, and the show segment producer has already booked the guests, the experts, polygraph or whatever, and everything is ready to go so Phil or whoever the host is, just reads the script.  

I saw a rerun on OWN this morning, a woman in Utah inherited a mansion in Utah from her parents, with lots of land, and apparently insurance and other proceeds.   She has sent $1 million to some scammer in Nigeria.   Phil and the viewers proved the man was a phony, and she said she believed it, but I think she was lying about dumping the scammer and not sending him more money.    The funny thing was the staff of the show tried for weeks to identify the picture the scammer was using and couldn't, then they put it out on the show FB page, and had an answer in a couple of hours.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

I hear enough social issues and depressing news all day long. I don’t need to revisit it on Phil’s show. If it’s not catfishing or something like that, I’m not interested. I haven’t watched one of his programs during this new season. Dare we hope this is the last year for this really tired show?

• Like 4
  • Love 3

I don't see how the focus on newsy topics would be cheaper to produce than having two or three people come in and discuss their family issues. You still bring in guests, sometimes more than for a typical topic.

Catfish episodes might be an exception, what with Dr. Phil having a worldwide network of private investigators who can wander around a neighborhood asking people if they know the person in the picture.

• Love 1

Yes I am in need of a new catfish episode. Sad that these desperate people fall for these scams but so good when Phil proves to them they just gave up their life savings to some D-bag in Nigeria.

I would love to know what happened with the 44 y/o woman who was on the show with her husband who knew she had a 22 y/o bf in Nigeria that allegedly ran an orphanage and wanted to marry the wife. The wife was very strange and not very attractive. She was willing to leave behind her 4 kids to move to Nigeria to be with this kid. 

I'm already bored with Phil's "current social events" banter.

• Like 4
On 9/26/2022 at 10:39 AM, chenoa333 said:

I'm already bored with Phil's "current social events" banter.

I haven't been bored because I refuse to watch the news in this format. All his new season shows have morphed into news stories and I am not going to tune in. For that I have CNN.

Too bad. I like a little break during the day to turn on the show, but when I do and see what he's talking about, the TV goes off and I go about the rest of my busy day.

Dr. Phil, get a clue. You didn't sign up to be a news reporter, did you?

• Love 8
On 9/24/2022 at 7:28 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

and everything is ready to go so Phil or whoever the host is, just reads the script.  

I've heard him say (I think) he knows nothing about the person/people in the hot seat (translated his guests) until  he gets in that day.

• Love 1

Todays topic is 'Quiet Quitting". Which is, apparently people doing the very least required of them at their job. (If I've got that wrong please correct me).

I've worked all my life from the time I was 16 and "quiet quitting" has been around ever since I can remember. So now somebody gave it a descriptive label and it's "news"?  Boring.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Todays topic is 'Quiet Quitting". Which is, apparently people doing the very least required of them at their job. (If I've got that wrong please correct me).

I've worked all my life from the time I was 16 and "quiet quitting" has been around ever since I can remember. So now somebody gave it a descriptive label and it's "news"?  Boring.

That's exactly what it is, and it should be no surprise that the concept has become popular thanks to TikTok despite such a concept existing for many years.

And of course, the topic was also used to promote the new show So Help Me Todd which is produced by the father-son duo of Phil and MySonJay. The most interesting part of the whole thing is when they reveal that Todd the slacker ne'er-do-well has an older brother who's the "golden son" of the family (golly gee, does this sound familiar!)

As for the show as a whole, this is the first episode I've seen this season and the promo they aired seems to indicate that this is now officially a discussion show, similar to Donahue or the early seasons of Jerry Springer.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, iHateAmpersands said:

And of course, the topic was also used to promote the new show So Help Me Todd which is produced by the father-son duo of Phil and MySonJay. The most interesting part of the whole thing is when they reveal that Todd the slacker ne'er-do-well has an older brother who's the "golden son" of the family (golly gee, does this sound familiar!)

I did not watch today's show. I'm so over this new Phil crapfest.

• Applause 2