Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: A Long Day's Journey Into ICE

WendyCR72

To air on September 30, 2019. Here is the summary:

When an ICE agent pursues a defendant in Lola’s courtroom, she must fend him off while determining the appropriate sentence for the offender, an undocumented immigrant, whose crime was warning people of a grocery store selling spoiled goods.

To address this early, I realize this sounds politically charged. That being said, please be sure to read PTV's policy regarding politics. When discussing this episode, please stick to the material as shown in the episode only. Any questions, please feel free to PM me.

• Love 2

This one got a little to preachy.

I didn't like that all the characters seemed to believe it was okay to ignore or break laws they didn't like, but wanted to enforce others.  It doesn't work that way.

I don't like speed limits, but I obey them.

• Love 4

Loved it. Working within the parameters set by the state lawmakers to help people caught up in a mess. Ponting out food past the sell by date, or expired food is not a felony and from the first video there was no need to tackle the defendant (forgot his name). This is the show I need right now. 

• Love 20

Wow the second episode and we are already getting or first ICE/immigration story! We are diving right into the deep end with the hot button legal stuff! Its probably a good case to establish Lola and how she wants to be a judge, using the law to help people, even when the law is seemingly not doing its job of bringing justice to the people. Its really freaking hard to see how its justice to deport a man to a country where he will almost certainly be horribly murdered for speaking out against unjust laws over some assholes petty revenge. I mean, getting baby formula that wasnt three years expired was just SO hard? 

I like the Mark/Lola banter, I wonder what their backstory is? They mentioned watching Star Trek together in college (I approve!) did they meet there, or are they childhood friends? I would be happy with they stayed platonic friends, but I could see somewhere down the line them playing with the idea of a romance. I have mixed feelings, because I love the idea of a female protagonist having a platonic male best friend without romantic drama, but on the other hand...the do have nice easy chemistry, so I could be persuaded!

• Love 9

So, in two episodes, I feel like there are certain aspects of this show that I like and then others that I don't.

Lola's supposed to be impartial, but it's clear that she's not. I mean, I get it, it's a TV show, but do judges actually delay court cases just to find a solution that works for them? Again, I get it, it's a TV show and I do like Lola as a character, but I think it does bother me that she took several recesses in order to essentially save the kid from being deported to Nicaragua because I'm not sure how realistic it is to have a judge take at least five recesses in one case.

However, at the same time, it does develop Lola as a character, as someone who wants to make the right choices, and I did like her taking control of her courtroom, even when the ICE agent was trying to undermine her. And yeah, I also would love to see more people in law and government trying to do some good, so I'm definitely of two sides here. I liked the plot and also didn't like it at the same time.

Meanwhile, Mark's case with the girl worked better for me, even though Lola's case ended in more of a grey area (kid still getting punished, but buying himself some time). 

Mark/Lola's friendship is definitely one of the strongest points of this show. The actors are doing great at establishing at least a decade-long friendship (potentially longer?). And I also like Lopez/Luke's budding relationship, even though he has no idea about her (ex?) husband. 

I guess I gotta give it another couple of episodes but this show certainly has a lot of potential to be great. It's just gotta be a little less preachy, just a little. 

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Love 9

I actually like how preachy it is and that so far it's ended in a pretty nice little bow. It just makes it so easy to watch.

The Mark/Lola relationship is so great already. I wanna see flashbacks. I guess it'd be hard for Wilson Bethel and the Lola actress to pull off college-age but whatever I don't care lol.

• Love 9

I was looking for a show that would take the place of For the People since it got canceled but I don’t think this is it. I am hoping to start liking the characters more so I will give it a couple more episodes.

• Love 1
On 10/1/2019 at 6:57 AM, tennisgurl said:

I like the Mark/Lola banter, I wonder what their backstory is? They mentioned watching Star Trek together in college (I approve!) did they meet there, or are they childhood friends? I would be happy with they stayed platonic friends, but I could see somewhere down the line them playing with the idea of a romance. I have mixed feelings, because I love the idea of a female protagonist having a platonic male best friend without romantic drama, but on the other hand...the do have nice easy chemistry, so I could be persuaded!

Given their ages in the 80s and 90s LA County was still largely segregated. If Judge Carmichael was not bused out to a valley  school to relieve overcrowding then by prevailing odds any life long friendship probably started in college. 

I’m enjoying this show so far. This episode was a little preachy but still emotional and timely. 

Simone Missick is good. She reminds me of a slightly older Nicole Beharie. They could be sisters. 

...I just looked them up. According to the internet, Simone is only 3 years older than Nicole. 

• Love 5

I'm enjoying the show so far.  It's a feel-good show, to be sure, but I need some of those vibes these days.  My favorite bits are the ones with Mark/Lola and their friendship and also the ones with Lola/Sherri.  I can do without the Lopez/Bailiff scenes.  That pairing does absolutely nothing for me. 

• Love 2

I would like for them to have addressed more of what Mark's supervisor was pointing out to him.  They are all back logged, and they can't take that much time out for each case.  It sucks because justice shouldn't work that way, but it's realistic.

• Love 3

I decided to give this show a chance. I admit, I'm not too sure about it and it just seems like the judge is taking sides. 

I would think ICE would wait until the proceedings are done before getting the defendant. 

I'll give it a few more episodes to see how I like it. 

11 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Gil Garcetti (sp) is an adviser on this.  Weird.  No?

A fringe benefit of holding office. Some unknown judge or Deputy DA doesn't get the audience's attention 

I like this show. I like Ángels on the side of justice, so I’m ok with where it’s going right now. If we were in a different timeline, perhaps I wouldn’t enjoy it as much. I’ve spent a little time around courthouses and I like the display of the easy camaraderie among all the players. It’s an aspect of the legal world that I haven’t seen much of on television.

• Love 4

Good to see Marg Helgenberger again. Haven't seen her since CSI, and almost didn't recognize her with so many clothes on.

No Paul McCrane this time. Hoping to see him frequently.

The dynamic between Lola and Mark reminds me a little of CJ and Josh on The West Wing. Enjoyed the Star Trek scene. 

• Love 3
On 10/2/2019 at 8:40 PM, topanga said:

This episode was a little preachy but still emotional and timely. 

It was very preachy, but these days we need to be preached to.

And the ICE guy was patronizing.   Like one of those guys who says, "and this is the little woman."

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 4

I don't mind the preachiness but I think it will turn off a lot of people and this show won't be long for this world.   But I enjoy it.  I like Lola.  I like Mark.  I like Luke.   I'm fine with this.  But again, I don't think this one is going to get a back 9 much less a second season.   

• Love 1
On 10/2/2019 at 8:03 PM, Raja said:

Given their ages in the 80s and 90s LA County was still largely segregated. If Judge Carmichael was not bused out to a valley  school to relieve overcrowding then by prevailing odds any life long friendship probably started in college. 

I agree, it's most likely college, but they could have gone to a private school.  

On 10/2/2019 at 5:03 PM, Raja said:

Even though California schools are plenty segregated today, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that Lola went to predominantly white schools in the '80s or '90s. Maybe she wasn't bused out to the valley. Maybe her parents could afford to live in a predominantly white neighborhood and chose to do so. It also wouldn't surprise me to find out that Mark went to schools where most of the kids weren't middle class white kids. 

• Love 2

Great comments from everyone. All I wanted to say was that I didn't get Lopez's choice to wear death heels during her more difficult cases. Wouldn't it make more sense to wear practical shoes during those days so you could focus all of your energy and attention on the case at hand and not be distracted by your tortured feet? She should save the cute stilettos for days when her case load isn't so heavy or mentally taxing.

• Love 3