Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: Christmas Special

• Start Topic

Great episode.  For a while I was wondering how anything so dire and awful could ever turn into a "Christmas special," but at the last minute Trixie was even more amazing than usual, plus I should know that this show always ends on a happy note -- because babies.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I believe it is spelled "Shelagh" although pronounced "Sheila", and that Matthias was a good "walker", not a good "worker" before he had polio, when he was 6 

Ugh, I knew the "Shelagh" thing. It's been a while. Fixed!

The saddest moment for me was the brother wanting so much to get a cure for his little brother's polio. 

Shallow note, loved Trixie's dress in the scene where Barbara killed the spider.

Loved how Fred was truly trying to will his strength into the woman giving birth.

I felt like a good cry tonight. Glad Call the Midwife will always do the trick!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

Great episode. For a while I was wondering how anything so dire and awful could ever turn into a "Christmas special," but at the last minute Trixie was even more amazing than usual, plus I should know that this show always ends on a happy note -- because babies.

Jesu, Mother. I started dripping tears at the Christmas dinner toast to absent friends, which was what -- three minutes in? It got worse when Shelagh brought up the Thalidomide and I kind of never recovered.

And yet I never think of the show as being depressing or dark. It repeatedly slices into my heart (little brother with polio) but it's the happy parts (leg braces) that cut the deepest.

Awesome episode, all told. I felt sorry for Fred at his age being sent on a long, hard trip and made to do manual labor, but at least Patsy and Delia got some alone time.

Up with women!

• Love 9

Not the buckets of tears as I had in the last episode, but still plenty.

I just adore Trixie and her growth throughout the series is my favorite arc.  I was so proud of her stepping up to perform the c-section.  And Barbara after the surgery saying thanks for teaching her to smoke because all she wanted was a cigarette had me laughing.

Loved the Turners giving Abel's brother Timothy's braces and Fred providing strength & support to the woman giving birth under the tree.

Now off to Netflix to see if this episode is up yet!

• Love 3

I was very proud of Fred of helping and holding it together. I don't think he's really seen the nurses 'in action' before. And he wasn't present when his daughters were born, as at that time men (aside from doctors) didn't go near delivery rooms. This would have been very unknown territory for him and he did well. I was also pleased to see them referenced his experiences from WW II, digging ditches and maintaining latrines and such. Those skills would be incredibly valuable for a hospital. As was clearly demonstrated, they can't function without water and sanitation. 

Also, based on the blue uniform we saw her wearing, it looks like Delia did decide to train as a midwife as discussed last season.

I just love how the writers are so good at connecting small threads from here and there, along with not forgetting what they've previously established for their characters.

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 4

Shallow note, loved Trixie's dress in the scene where Barbara killed the spider.

Trixie is badass enough to show up in South Africa in a Pucci sundress.

So many powerful, effective women--Trixie, Barbara, Sister Julienne, Shelagh, Dr. Myra. (And so good to see Sinead Cusack again.)

Edited by honeywest
  • Love 3

Love this show and this episode.  I think this is a show that flies under the radar which is sad because it deserves more acclaim.

As always combining heart breaking and heart warming.  Loved the African scenery.  Enjoyed Fred having a larger than usual role.  Sweet that Tom proposed to Barbara.  To me the most heartbreaking but also uplifting story was the two brothers

• Love 3
  12 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I believe it is spelled "Shelagh" although pronounced "Sheila", and that Matthias was a good "walker", not a good "worker" before he had polio, when he was 6 

Ugh, I knew the "Shelagh" thing. It's been a while. Fixed!

Oh, no! MY BAD. Sorry, all. Thanks for the fix, TA.

A lovely story for a family watch on Christmas and it was so good to see those dear familiar faces.  Just needed Sr. Evangelina to whip that landowner into shape but Sr. J's approach was so beautiful to see. 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, lordonia said:

And yet I never think of the show as being depressing or dark. It repeatedly slices into my heart (little brother with polio) but it's the happy parts (leg braces) that cut the deepest.

I know. I routinely tear up, sometimes cry, and yet I still come back for more.

For me, I think it's partly the dignity and respect with which they treat the characters, likeable or not. I'm very glad they didn't have the landowner have a beef because of the nature of the clinic's patients, but something more personal and relate-able.  As well as their lack of heavy handedness on social issues. I was a little worried with the introduction to the politics of apartheid being that obnoxious policeman, that they'd hammer it home. Instead they did what they always do, provide insight to the larger issues via moments in individual lives.

I'm not that much of a Trixie fan, but I loved her in this, and cried with her at the end. Does anyone else think this might spur her on to becoming a doctor?

• Love 6

I don't think Trixie is headed for med school. For starters, nursing and midwifery did not require a college degree at that time. Trixie would have done a direct 3 year training course in a nursing school that attached to a hospital, with a further course for midwifery. She would have to go back and get a university degree before med school was an option. 

Plus, can you see Trixie being able or willing to function in an environment where she can't speak her mind or advocate for her patients as she sees fit? The rigid 60's medical school system would drive her crazy in short order.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, onlybrenda1 said:

I know it's probably supposed to be comedic, but mocking the men in this episode - which was written by a woman incidentally - is just a cheap shot.

I apparently missed the mocking.  Fred was the go-to guy to get the truck fixed, the minister was in charge of getting the water, which he did with the help of the local men.  The poor young dad with TB ran a marathon to get help for his laboring wife.  Dr. Turner figured out the real issue with the clinic physician.  Even the grieving widower had a semi-legitimate, albeit misplaced, issue with the clinic.  Where was the mocking? #longlivepreviouslytv

5 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I'm not that much of a Trixie fan, but I loved her in this, and cried with her at the end. Does anyone else think this might spur her on to becoming a doctor?

She was incredible in this (once she ditched her fur traveling hat!) and I would love to see her advance in medicine.  She really pulled things off in this episode.  And her PTSD meltdown after the C-section was so appropriate.

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

I don't think Trixie is headed for med school. For starters, nursing and midwifery did not require a college degree at that time. Trixie would have done a direct 3 year training course in a nursing school that attached to a hospital, with a further course for midwifery. She would have to go back and get a university degree before med school was an option. 

A friend of mine was a nurse during that time period, and went back to school to become a doctor. So, someone as tough as Trixie could make it work, if she had the drive.

@Kohola3, I think onlybrenda1 was referring to the recap. Which does mock the men a fair bit, with the intent of being funny.

Edited by Clanstarling
because I think I used an unintentional tone, so I edited.
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

@Kohola3, I think onlybrenda1 was referring to the recap. Which does mock the men a fair bit, with the intent of being funny.

I believe you are right, Clansterling. I had not read it.  I love the recaps, don't know how I missed it.

NUN GUILT - ha!

2 hours ago, onlybrenda1 said:

I know it's probably supposed to be comedic, but mocking the men in this episode - which was written by a woman incidentally - is just a cheap shot. #banpreviouslytv

I agree.  I didn't like this recap because I didn't understand all the man-bashing.

• Love 2

Yes.

Plus, I especially liked Fred in this episode.  And a couple of the pregnant women mentioned the men having to work in the mines and only coming home for a couple of months (I think it was) out of the year.  Just think of the dangers they went through to provide for their families. 

I just hate the men-are-so-stupid-and/or-clueless trope. 

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 4

Did it bother anyone else that Tom needed Trixie to realize he wanted to propose to Barbara? I wish he had come to the realization on his own or if he really needed someone to help him have a light bulb moment that "someone" hadn't been Trixie.

No, I think that Tom would have come to that realization himself soon enough.  He clearly loves Barbara and I didn't think he needed Trixie to prod him into proposing.  Frankly, I thought it was none of her business.  Sure, she casts herself as Barbara's friend now, but I always thought that she regarded Barbara as the poor woman who got the sloppy seconds, i,e., her castaway ex-boyfriend.     

Also, I hope that Barbara never finds out about Tom's and Trixie's conversation because I wouldn't want Barbara to ever think that he wouldn't have proposed without Trixie's prodding.  

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

No, I think that Tom would have come to that realization himself soon enough.  He clearly loves Barbara and I didn't think he needed Trixie to prod him into proposing.  Frankly, I thought it was none of her business.  Sure, she casts herself as Barbara's friend now, but I always thought that she regarded Barbara as the poor woman who got the sloppy seconds, i,e., her castaway ex-boyfriend.     

Also, I hope that Barbara never finds out about Tom's and Trixie's conversation because I wouldn't want Barbara to ever think that he wouldn't have proposed without Trixie's prodding.  

I agree, I don't think he needed prodded either which is why I didn't like the scene. I wish the show had let him come to the realization that he wanted to propose on his own without Trixie having any part in it. I also had the same thought that hopefully Barbara never finds out about the conversation.

• Love 3

Also, a true friend wouldn't have snarked on her friend's appearance in front of said friend's boyfriend.  So when Trixie snarked on Barbara's bathing suit, I was so glad that Tom said she looked lovely.

• Love 4

Yes so very true. I didn't like Trixie's comments about the bathing suit either. I also didn't like that Trixie told Tom that he shouldn't give Barbara his grandma's ring because it was the ring he gave her. I can see why Barbara might not want to wear the ring, but Barbara should get to decide.  What if she meets Tom's family sometime and they ask why she isn't wearing grandma's ring. I can only imagine how she'd feel to find out that Tom wanted Trixie to wear that ring but not her. 

• Love 4

I understand that the show was trying to demonstrate that Trixie really was on Barbara's side now with no lingering jealousy, but I didn't like the scene much either.  For one thing it's insulting to Tom to imply that his grandmother's heirloom ring wasn't good enough.  It may be far more valuable than anything Tom can afford right now.  I think she did mean well, but was feeling more sorry about Barbara's second hand things than Barbara was.

I do like the contrast between the two young women. Trixie can climb up the sides of ships and perform operations, but loses her nerve when it comes to telling women sad news.  Barbara can give the emotional counsel they need.  Barbara and Tom really are as dedicated, in their own way, as the nuns. I'm glad Trixie didn't marry him and end up having to give up all her small pleasures in fashion and fitness -- and smoking.

• Love 3

In all fairness, the grandmother's ring is no longer simply a family heirloom but also now the ring Tom used to propose to another woman and one of Barbara's friends to boot. I wouldn't have thought it appropriate either. 

• Love 16

In all fairness, the grandmother's ring is no longer simply a family heirloom but also now the ring Tom used to propose to another woman and one of Barbara's friends to boot. I wouldn't have thought it appropriate either. 

I have to agree, especially if Barbara had seen the ring (did she?).  I would have been a little put off if my fiance gave me something that had been rejected by intended #1.  And Barbara is too nice to have said anything negative if asked. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Also, a true friend wouldn't have snarked on her friend's appearance in front of said friend's boyfriend.  So when Trixie snarked on Barbara's bathing suit, I was so glad that Tom said she looked lovely.

I was never a great fan of Trixie (though this episode is changing my mind a bit), but in this scene, my take wasn't that she was not snarking on Barbara's appearance, as much as she suspected Barbara's sister had sent her a used/second hand bathing suit (the comments about that being very last year and such in the beginning of the show), and the thrust of that conversation was that Barbara deserved to get new things - not second hand things. Trixie seems to value new and shiny things on an emotional level (new means you deserve and are valued) as much as a shallow level.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:
12 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I was never a great fan of Trixie (though this episode is changing my mind a bit), but in this scene, my take wasn't that she was not snarking on Barbara's appearance, as much as she suspected Barbara's sister had sent her a used/second hand bathing suit (the comments about that being very last year and such in the beginning of the show), and the thrust of that conversation was that Barbara deserved to get new things - not second hand things. Trixie seems to value new and shiny things on an emotional level (new means you deserve and are valued) as much as a shallow level.

Another thing that struck me during this conversation is that Trixie was wearing a far more revealing bathing suit than Barbara's, one that showed off her figure to its advantage (and one that might have been considered a bit inappropriate to wear in front of a vicar in the '60's and even now), yet Tom had eyes only for Barbara.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I don't think it would be appropriate either and you make a very good point that if Barbara had been asked she's to nice to say anything. However, I do wish it had been someone other than Trixie that pointed out to Tom that he should buy Barbara a different ring. Actually, I really wish Tom hadn't needed someone to tell him that Barbara always gets hand-me-downs.

3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I understand that the show was trying to demonstrate that Trixie really was on Barbara's side now with no lingering jealousy, but I didn't like the scene much either. 

Maybe that's why I didn't like the scene. It felt like the focus was more about Trixie and how she's over Tom, isn't jealous, and how she's a good friend to Barbara (she gave Tom a nudge to propose, she points out that Barbara never gets "new" stuff, and she enlightens Tom that he shouldn't give Barbara the same ring that he gave her). Tom realizing that he loves Barbara and wants to marry her didn't really feel like the main point/focus of the scene which I think is one of the reasons I didn't like it.

Also having that scene gave away that Tom was going to propose. I wish the show had made the proposal more of a surprise (for the viewers) and just had Tom slowing realizing over the course of the show that Barbara is pretty special and that he wanted to propose.

However, I enjoyed the rest of the show; it might not seem like it with my posts but I did. I plan on writing another post with all the things I did like. :)

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

That might have been Trixie's intent, but it was such a shallow thing to say.  I'm just glad that Tom showed her that it didn't matter if it was new or used, Barbara looked lovely in it.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

That might have been Trixie's intent, but it was such a shallow thing to say.

Oh, I agree that on the surface it was shallow. But I really think, given Trixie's background, new and current mean a lot to her on an emotional level, for her it is what makes her feel she has value, is deserving  of love, and strong. It is what lifts her from what I seem to recall was a pretty bad past. Taken from the way she sees the world I believe it was a comment that Barbara deserved to have all the things Trixie thinks  are important to self-worth - though of course for Barbara and Tom, they would not have the same emotional impact.

My take on the Tom/Trixie scene was never that Tom needed a push to realize what he wanted, nor that he received any particular enlightenment because of it.  To me, anyway, it was very clear he was in love with Barbara. So Trixie's talk (again to me) was more about revealing her fully coming to terms with their past, and the love and insight she about Barbara. So yes, it was more about Trixie than Tom, but because I didn't think he had a revelation because of the conversation (though it may have spurred him to take action), I didn't see it negatively. (did I reference myself enough? LOL)

There are gory things, upon occasion, on this show. But I have to say, the draining of the abscess was the first time I had to turn away. I usually have a high tolerance for TV/Movie gore, but not this time. The glimpses I had when I'd check to see if it was done were enough to turn my stomach.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

My take on the Tom/Trixie scene was never that Tom needed a push to realize what he wanted, nor that he received any particular enlightenment because of it.  To me, anyway, it was very clear he was in love with Barbara. So Trixie's talk (again to me) was more about revealing her fully coming to terms with their past, and the love and insight she about Barbara. So yes, it was more about Trixie than Tom, but because I didn't think he had a revelation because of the conversation (though it may have spurred him to take action), I didn't see it negatively. (did I reference myself enough? LOL)

I agree that Tom didn't need a push and that the scene was more about Trixie which is why I didn't like it. I think the writers could have accomplished the same thing without needing Tom be the person Trixie talked to.  So much of the Tom & Barbara story last season felt (to me) like it was more about Trixie then about the writers showing us Tom & Barbara falling in love. Now it made since to show Trixie's reaction to Tom and Barbara dating, but at times it felt (again to me) that every Tom & Barbara scene ended with a cut to Trixie. I think that's why I really didn't like this scene it felt (again to me) that once again Tom & Barbara's story wasn't about them really but more about Trixie. 

Edited by Fireball
spelling
  • Love 5

I’ve been complaining a lot about the Trixie & Tom scene, so I thought I’d post the things I did like.

I think the writers did a smart thing by having the Christmas episode in a different setting. I’m sure I would have enjoyed the episode if it had taken placed in Popular, However, for me having the episode take place in Africa made old story lines feel new. For example, the show has done polio vaccination & women having difficult births many times before, but by being in Africa it gave the stories different issues (narrow pelvis from malnourishment etc.)

Here’s a list of some of the things I liked about the episode

• The characters being in a new place and having to deal with all the difficulties.
  • Trixie packing really lovely but really inappropriate clothes. I thought it was totally a Trixie thing to do.
  • Barbara killing the spider.
  • Sister Winifred dancing and letting her hair down per-say.
  • Fred having a bigger role and being shown that he’s competent. A lot of times I feel he gets used a comic relief and shown as kind of a screw-up.
  • Sallow note: Tom looked “hot” in regular clothes without his clerical collar.
  • Sister Julienne getting through to the landowner in such a quiet way.
  • Sister Evangelina being mentioned. (I hate when shows never mention characters after they leave the show.)
  • That the show didn’t kill anyone off. (I don’t think I’ll ever forgive Downton Abbey for that)
  • The African scenery.
  • That the Turners are still struggling with the Thalidomide ordeal.
  • Everyone looking like they are actually in Africa with the sweating and not looking like they are ready for a photo shoot. (cough cough Revolution)
  • The smaller cast which allowed everyone to have more screen time.
  • Sister Monica Joan faithfully reporting on the plants. 
Edited by Fireball
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, Fireball said:

Sister Julienne getting through to the landowner in such a quiet way.

Trust sister Julienne to see that he was a man suffering from terrible grief and sadness and not the selfish old bigot most people would see. I don't want to sound too sappy, but it's so rare to have an entertaining, well written show with characters who are such truly good people.

• Love 16
5 hours ago, Fireball said:

• Sallow note: Tom looked “hot” in regular clothes without his clerical collar.

okay but im so glad I'm not the only one who thought so. He didn't just look hot, though, the man is straight up gorgeous. I was having some pretty unholy thoughts tbh (tmi)

I also really love Barbara and Tom together and I don't think I really realized that until this ep. They really work well together.

I also love seeing Trixie being pushed to the limits and just flourishing. She's grown so much over the course of the show and it's been incredible to see her grow and learn and never once compromise her Trixieness. She's a great character in a show full of great characters  

It was a really well done episode. They spooned out all the honey nut feelios, like I thought they would, and I really enjoyed it  

• Love 8

Add me to the people who didn't like the Trixie/Tom scene. It just didn't work for me. Trixie telling Tom that he should spend his life with Barbara just made me say "WTF?" I would've been all for a nice heart-to-heart but not like this. In fact with the exception of the cesarean I found a lot of the way Trixie was written to be overdone.

The character I thought was written best was, to my surprise, Fred. So much of his time on the show has been misbegotten schemes and awkward situations. I really enjoyed seeing him portrayed as knowledgable, skilled and still the kind, lovable guy who would do anything for the sisters. It kind of stretched imagination for me that he would be asked to leave his home for four weeks but I liked the result so I'll take it.

I enjoyed the episode a lot but it won't be among my favorites for the simple reason of eliminating half the cast. I'd love it if they'd made this a two-part special with the next episode showing us what Patsy, Delia, Cynthia, Violet, and Timothy were doing in Poplar while the others were away.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 3

Well, it's not Call the Midwife if you don't end up a sobbing mess with tightly crossed legs - so I guess show delivered (nope, not going to show myself out yet).

Like others I was a bit concerned when I first heard about the setting for this year's Christmas episode but I must say they handled that superbly - the awfulness of the situation was made clear in a couple of tiny brush-strokes (the police breaking up the unlawful 'mixing' and then not giving a hand when pushing the van back to the clinic and most poignantly for me: Roza's backstory). They also gave the neighbor's story an unexpected turn that provided us with some much needed trademark Sister Julienne wisdom (aka Nun Guilt). And Trixie was nothing but marvelous. you go girl! (I also loved Barbara's backbone quip to nurse Crane who I love but who occasionally crosses into over-bossy territory.)

But what I liked most was Roza's arc: not only did it provide us with an insight on the many ways apartheid disrupted lives, it also dealt with another issue that you'd not expect in a show dealing with child-birth and motherhood: the damage that is inflicted on women in a culture that defines their worth and dignity solely by their ability to give birth. I thought they would have her adopt the two brothers (easy way out) but instead they restored her self-worth by having her return to the job she had loved and had been forced to abandon. Well done show!

Can't wait for next season - must stack up on Kleenex.

• Love 11

This was the first Christmas special I've been able to catch, tape and watch and it was wonderful! I love this show and can't wait until it comes back in April.

I liked that they had a change of scene in Africa. I like that everyone had a happy ending. 

I wonder if Chumley will ever come back to the show? 

9 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

This was the first Christmas special I've been able to catch, tape and watch and it was wonderful! I love this show and can't wait until it comes back in April.

I liked that they had a change of scene in Africa. I like that everyone had a happy ending. 

I wonder if Chumley will ever come back to the show? 

She was supposed to be in this special, and in season six, but her schedule hasn't allowed it. Its a shame, honestly.  

• Love 2