Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E23: Live Results Finale - 09/18/2019

• Start Topic

Should've been Kodi, V.Unbeatable, Light Balance Kids and Benicio Bryant in the top 4. 

Still beyond livid that two f**king choirs made it. With that said, Ndlovu was far superior than DYC... and didn't resort to singing the same f**king song twice. JOKE that they made it. 

• Love 7

Worst final ever.

I'm not at all surprised that Kodi Lee won.  I was hoping for V.Unbeatable with a runner up of Ndlovu.  The Detroit Youth Choir must have organized a voting party or something.  Ndlovu was a much better choir. 

I was shocked when V.Unbeatable didn't even make the top three. This final is mind boggling.

I'm not sure if any parts of Cher is as old as she is.  Her face looked oddly smooth. 

The least interesting act tonight was Benicio with whomever the other guy was. Totally zoned out on it. 

I might change my mind next summer - AGT always used to be a fun summer watch. It has gone downhill so much in the last few years. I'm not sure that I will be back for it next season. 

• Love 8
  • I was watching at my parents' house and this site refuses to let me log in on my tablet so I could only take notes in an email draft. And typing on my tablet is a pain.
  • Seriously, I'm starting to think DYC only actually know three songs.
  • Damn, Julianne, that's a lotta hair gel.
  • The lights behind Tyler and Brian were killing me. I hope it's not that hard to look at from the live audience.
  • OK, Paula Abdul with LBK was a surprise. Man, she's tiny, isn't she?
  • Lang Lang was just on Alec Baldwin's podcast Here's the Thing With Alec Baldwin; I listened on my way home today. Highly recommend.
  • Ryan the 'Rassler was not funny.
  • I have no idea who this guy singing with Benicio is.
  • Benicio's hair is giving me a Kenny G vibe. The pants say Jack Skellington. The shirt says "cool when I was in middle school."
  • Why is Julianne singing in her underwear and painter's tape? 
  • She should stick to dancing and forget the judging thing.
  • Who the hell is this Lilly person and why do we care what her favorite bad acts were?
  • When I heard Billy Ray Cyrus was gonna be on I was hoping for Old Town Road. Including the horse.
  • Either my pizza had magic mushrooms on it or Cher & Co. just time traveled from the 70s.
  • Was Leona Lewis's microphone actually on..?

Finally some results! (I'll put em behind a spoiler box.)

Spoiler

Top 5: 
Voices of Service vs Benicio Bryant 
Emanne Beasha vs Ryan Niemiller
V. Unbeatable vs Ndlovu Youth Choir
Kodi Lee vs Light Balance Kids
Tyler Butler Figueroa vs Detroit Youth Choir

Placed:
5 Voices of Service
4 V. Unbeatable 
3 Ryan Niemiller 
2 Detroit Youth Choir
1 Kodi Lee

Happy for Kodi. Thought VU and DYC would have been switched. 

Finally! It's over!

5 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

I might change my mind next summer - AGT always used to be a fun summer watch. It has gone downhill so much in the last few years. I'm not sure that I will be back for it next season. 

I debate every season. This season I'm mostly here for the fun people commenting after the show.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 7

If I could turn back time...Well, Cher, you went back to Waterloo!  My, how the mighty have fallen.  Having said that, I LOVED the 60s vibe in costuming and I love that song.  I'm thinking maybe she would be a jidge's save were this an actual AGT performance.

Ameriker displayed the worst of her xenophobia in the voting.  She also rewarded the "challenged."   Virtue signalling for the win (as Simon understands full well)!

As for Simon - I actually believed what he had to say in the Ameriker package.  He figured out how to cynically cash in on silly entertainments, but his ode to certain traits of success and his love for the kindness which can still be found throughout the USA, was to me as genuine as he can be.

Would it have killed Gabrielle to get there on time for the performance of a true legend in the business?  Her being AWOL was a wonderful metaphor for her "contributions" (and Juliet's).

This Finale c(r)apped off the worst AGT season of all.  Many thanks to so many of you who helped me get through and find some enjoyment of it all away from my TV.

• Love 9

I'm glad Kodi Lee won, and not because he inspired me because of his blindness and/or autism.  I truly enjoyed his performances and talent.  He did better than Leona Lewis tonight!

AGT delivered edge-of-my-seat moments for sure, so if this was what Simon was referring to as being the best finale, then he was right.

DYC as No. 2?  Over V.Unbeatable?  Thank God things didn't go south and Kodi did win.  DYC shouldn't have been in the top five!  I was surprised Voices of Service made it in the 5.  Also surprised Opera Girl left so soon; I guess America would rather see another Ryan comedy set than hear another opera song.

Thanks to the forum members who kept me laughing and interested in the whole season.

2 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

Worst final ever.

I'm not at all surprised that Kodi Lee won.  I was hoping for V.Unbeatable with a runner up of Ndlovu.  The Detroit Youth Choir must have organized a voting party or something.  Ndlovu was a much better choir. 

I was shocked when V.Unbeatable didn't even make the top three. This final is mind boggling.

I'm not sure if any parts of Cher is as old as she is.  Her face looked oddly smooth. 

The least interesting act tonight was Benicio with whomever the other guy was. Totally zoned out on it. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:
  • I was watching at my parents' house and this site refuses to let me log in on my tablet so I could only take notes in an email draft. And typing on my tablet is a pain.
  • Seriously, I'm starting to think DYC only actually know three songs.
  • Damn, Julianne, that's a lotta hair gel.
  • The lights behind Tyler and Brian were killing me. I hope it's not that hard to look at from the live audience.
  • OK, Paula Abdul with LBK was a surprise. Man, she's tiny, isn't she?
  • Lang Lang was just on Alec Baldwin's podcast Here's the Thing With Alec Baldwin; I listened on my way home today. Highly recommend.
  • Ryan the 'Rassler was not funny.
  • I have no idea who this guy singing with Benicio is.
  • Benicio's hair is giving me a Kenny G vibe. The pants say Jack Skellington. The shirt says "cool when I was in middle school."
  • Why is Julianne singing in her underwear and painter's tape? 
  • She should stick to dancing and forget the judging thing.
  • Who the hell is this Lilly person and why do we care what her favorite bad acts were?
  • When I heard Billy Ray Cyrus was gonna be on I was hoping for Old Town Road. Including the horse.
  • Either my pizza had magic mushrooms on it or Cher & Co. just time traveled from the 70s.
  • Was Leona Lewis's microphone actually on..?

Finally some results! (I'll put em behind a spoiler box.)

Reveal spoiler

Top 5: 
Voices of Service vs Benicio Bryant 
Emanne Beasha vs Ryan Niemiller
V. Unbeatable vs Ndlovu Youth Choir
Kodi Lee vs Light Balance Kids
Tyler Butler Figueroa vs Detroit Youth Choir

Placed:
5 Voices of Service
4 V. Unbeatable 
3 Ryan Niemiller 
2 Detroit Youth Choir
1 Kodi Lee

Happy for Kodi. Thought VU and DYC would have been switched. 

Finally! It's over!

I debate every season. This season I'm mostly here for the fun people commenting after the show.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

If I could turn back time...Well, Cher, you went back to Waterloo!  My, how the mighty have fallen.  Having said that, I LOVED the 60s vibe in costuming and I love that song.  I'm thinking maybe she would be a jidge's save were this an actual AGT performance.

Ameriker displayed the worst of her xenophobia in the voting.  She also rewarded the "challenged."   Virtue signalling for the win (as Simon understands full well)!

As for Simon - I actually believed what he had to say in the Ameriker package.  He figured out how to cynically cash in on silly entertainments, but his ode to certain traits of success and his love for the kindness which can still be found throughout the USA, was to me as genuine as he can be.

Would it have killed Gabrielle to get there on time for the performance of a true legend in the business?  Her being AWOL was a wonderful metaphor for her "contributions" (and Juliet's).  [You mean Julianne's?]

This Finale c(r)apped off the worst AGT season of all.  Many thanks to so many of you who helped me get through and find some enjoyment of it all away from my TV.

29 minutes ago, Frisky Wig said:

I really didn’t like having to sit through an hour and a half of filler before we got to the actual results. The performances were cool though, I guess. 

That was a lot of filler!  More filler than in Cher's face.

1 minute ago, CrystalBlue said:

That was a lot of filler!  More filler than in Cher's face.

I took the easy way out tonight and just went through and bolded what I agree with from y'all.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

It's odd how a season containing some of the most obese contestants to date can end with a finale that is the farthest thing from big - it felt very underwhelming compared to finales of years past, unless it is just the realization that winning this show means very little is continually getting more obvious with each passing year. There's slight depression that the show is over, though it continuing past the point where Summer is obviously over is also gross, so I don't know how to feel - if a CNN news broadcast could tell me the appropriate opinion to have, that would be much appreciated. While watching, I felt somewhat obligated to make this post the longest and most effortful one possible, since it's the last episode of the season and I've become especially aware of how much I love listening to my own voice.

As usual, I forget if the show opened with a 10 minute look back on yesterday's episode, in case you forgot everything that happened or enjoy viewing mediocre things repeatedly (my PVR just reminded me NBC Nightly News is on soon). Looking back on the clips from yesterday, it was made even more clear as to how boring of a show it was, especially with it being yet another finale where half or more of the contestants are singers. It seems quite cruel how NBC is pitting these singers whose careers will inevitably fail to launch against the latest crop of university graduates for the few new created jobs deep frying onion rings. I was going to cram in a bit about every space mission being fake after "failure to launch", but you don't need me to tell you the obvious.

The real part of the show starts with Terry holding an envelope with "Winners Card" on it - I am guessing the pluralization of that word is due to the network executives deciding that only one winner is non-inclusive. Getting real tired of this politically correct nonsense.

Detroit Youth Choir and Ndlovu Youth Choir join together with DJ Kygo, who apparently we are supposed to know who it is, despite every DJ just having the song play as he bops his head and makes non-ASL recognized hand gestures to the crowd who aren't even looking at him. I was quite on board with this performance until I realized they weren't singing "Hired Love" and thus were not in agreement with my solicitation of prostitutes. It seems like dental-abcess-to-pronounce Youth Choir has done this song before, but I know if I were to refer to one of my older posts, it would just say "I stared at the floor". Macklemore comes down the aisle, despite already being married and raps circles around the Detroit Youth Choir, whose rapping sounds like a random dictionary word app malfunctioning. It's funny that you could imagine some of the choir members probably tweet vague hate at the non-descript "white man" villain figure and are still excitedly bopping with one who usurped "their craft" (rap). I see pictures of such things all the time, but I have no idea how representative that is of normal society.

Once again Simon zones out while Terry is talking to him - either the show is so boring he needs to be sedated to keep from running away or it is something much more sinister, despite me having no proof other than the rapid heartbeat I get from working myself up with all my theories.

I must be off my medication to be actively wishing for more America's Got Talent content, but I hate how the Dunkin Lounge is so short - perhaps even America's favorite activities of eating doughnuts and sitting around combined are exhausting and need to be in extremely short bursts to avoid getting winded. Pathetic. But for real, I do wish these segments were longer, even if the (scripted) spontaneity quality they are going for was lost. It seems Vine becoming popular has led to a further deterioration of the public's attention span - in case my posts are also included in that, I will have to place a kiss emoji next to my habitual female sniffing remark so nobody has to dig through all my stupidity to find it. Odd how Dunkin Donuts has shortened itself to just Dunkin, since quantities consumed are only going up, so the typical middle aged patron is more likely going from D to DD sized breasts. Who am I to question company policy, as the consumer drone, my job is just to eat massive unhealthy quantities of the stuff and cry for the restaurants to pay for the health woes I gave to myself.

Light Balance Kids, Brian King Joseph, and Tyler Butler-Figueroa join forces, despite the size of the Detroit Youth Choir being more suited for the LBK act to be projected on, assuming budget cuts is what they were going for. Obviously my inane musing was proven wrong 2 seconds later. BKJ and TBF did 7 Rings by Ariana Grande, which was pretty nice, especially considering that 80% of Ariana's catalog is crap - and believe me, I am borderline gay enough to play every song and dance along to find the hidden gems. I hate the dancing of Light Balance Kids, it always makes me think of a bunch of mall clowns doing a flash mob while waving to the crowd with the Hamburger Helper logo attached to their hands. Paula Abdul is revealed to be one of the dancers, bewildering the majority of the audience who believes moving for a reason other than chasing down the ice cream truck is a rare phenomenon. Paula's Vegas residency is called Forever Your Girl, which is an offer I would've jumped for joy at when she was 18, but such a proposal today would have my face contort as if someone had farted in my vicinity. Of course I am expecting herculean muscles to sprout out of thin air when I turn 50, but I am so far away from having to confront the fact that I'll be a fat bastard draining the social pot of medical resources.

At first I thought Long-Long was merely Terry describing how the show seemingly drags on forever, but then the guy who I already knew of came out. With how serious and disciplined he was on piano, I am guessing the stereotype holds up and his angry parents were beside him hiding under a green screen demanding he do better. Apparently the song Emmane croaked out is a song that will be on his new album. Since he is Chinese, my delusion of Japanese people having natural purple hair and eyes that take up half of their face is still intact, since I believe anime is filmed on-location.

Ryan Niemiller gets a pre-taped segment with Chris Jericho, who I already knew of, since I've watched wrestling since 2003 - it's funny how Ryan listed off the usual stereotypes of wrestling, like steel chairs and 300 pound musclemen angrily bodyslamming each other, when nowadays the wrestlers are literally 5'7 and 150 pounds. I watch out of habit, not enjoyment, much like AGT. I thought the segment was pretty funny, so there's not really much to say about it, though it being taped made it seem pretty cheap compared to everyone else who got (overshadowed) by a D-list celebrity. Actually, phrasing it that way makes it sound like Ryan got the better deal.

Benicio, who looks like a frumpy PTA Mother fresh out of the shower tonight joins up with Ozuna, who I don't believe I have ever heard of, because the amount of space in my brain taken up by telemundo and mariachi is the same amount of attention I give the idea of getting a job before I'm 84. Perhaps Benicio is considering this a version of throwing the show, since tonight doesn't count at all towards the results.

Simon and Cher have an annoying segment with cut out photos of their heads bopping around like Canadians featured on South Park. I'm sure a ton of viewers were wondering how Cher still looks so good, all the while inhaling a newborn baby's weight of MSG. If Cher were my Grandma, the question of "Why don't you visit more often?" would never be asked, though I would be playing the role of old man with dementia, as I would often "forget" to wear pants.

Julianne Hough (I had to put her full name, as to not confuse my similarly spelled crossdressing name with her) performs her new single, not like I had any idea she sang. The idea of her singing about a "one true love" is a funny concept, since she just recently came out saying she wants to bang many things who aren't her husband, which he apparently supports - what a cuckold loser. Song was meh, dancing was aiight, nothing much to say really.

Lilly Singh does some shitty segment about her top 10 favorite contestants of the season, which failed to give anyone watching a reason to check out her new show. I watched some clips of it yesterday and it is absolutely terrible (a lot people agree with me about that). Apparently you'll get rewarded if you upload crappy YouTube videos for years; I'm guessing all of my forum posts are being accumulated into a big folder in the psychiatrist's office, though to know the moon as fake, you'd only need to be prescribed truth serum.

Voices of (Fast Food) Service join Billy Ray Cyrus for a real snooze. I could see most of the group trying to conceal tears - not this again! I think Achy Breaky Heart would've been a better choice, as it would remind the public of the dangers of doing 5 pushups.

Simon shares his thoughts on the American "dream", which I thought would be an eye opening expose on American doctors' willingness to over-prescribe sleeping pills and other sedatives. I don't know why Simon would rather live in sunny California over rainy, depressing Britain where the sun is put on the extinct species list for 90% of the year. I live where the weather is similar to that for a great deal of the year and it is very depressing at times. Other than having to be on high alert at all times for anything that can give you a scraped knee, on account of a bandaid costing $800, I would rather be American.

I naturally assumed Cher would sing one of her own songs (and by that I mean written by a team of 70 year old men), but apparently this was an ABBA song. Doesn't really matter, I thought it was pretty good. At the end, she mentioned she has a fragrance coming out soon, which I would consider buying if it was a bottle of her scent after doing a workout DVD. I'm just kidding, she's too old for me to care.

Kodi Lee performs with Leona Lewis - I thought it was boring as hell. Saying anything else about it would just be skimming through the thesaurus to rephrase my distaste.

Finally we get to the results, which is exciting, since seeing people I don't like fail at their dreams makes me flash a wide rotten toothed smile to the TV. The amount of dramatics surrounding which one of these acts was chosen is similar to my unemployed life, in which I wonder whether to play a video game or sleep in an extra hour (past 4pm). Voices of Service go over Benicio, which was surprising. Ryan goes over Emmane, which was also somewhat surprising, though you already knew he wasn't going to win. V Unbeatable go over Ndlovu Youth Choir, who now have to find a way to raise $70,000+ to get home. Kodi Lee goes over Light Balance Kids, much to my annoyance. Detroit Youth Choir go over Tyler, probably to prevent a 50 on 1 beatdown.

Voices of Service are in 5th place, much to my surprise, as I figured their self inflicted PTSD was worthy of a large cash sum.

V Unbeatable is in 4th place, which I didn't expect. The annoying judge commentary "your future is even brighter than had you won the competition" - I don't believe that's how it works, stupid. Julianne saying she'd be the first person at their show was emptier than the words of a 500 pound man saying this was his last piece of chocolate cake.

Ryan finishes in 3rd place, which is about what you'd expect if Detroit Youth Choir wasn't somehow in second place. I've been meaning to comment for a while about how violent Gabrielle's voice is, she sounds legit intimidating sometimes. Her offer for Ryan to be in one of her movies is about as worthless as the American monetary system (to be fair, Canada has to fork over even more valueless paper for stuff than you guys).

With the amount of moment of silences given for these elimination rounds, you'd think they're still paying homage to Voices of Service, despite being long gone. Can't be too heartbroken about the choir not winning the million dollars, since Detroit is given much more money than that and it gets spent on drugs and axes to chop up their own houses into firewood, only to shrug in bewilderment as to what happened to their city. Can hardly call these things jokes when they're pretty much accurate. Unsurprisingly Kodi wins, which made me and my brother start punching each other out of mutual rage. Kodi's Mom smiling all the time gives me a boner in my heart, which is about as romantic of a thing I can muster. If she's interested in supporting me emotionally as well as replacing her pension payments with contributions into my video game and adult pay-per-view fund, we can exchange numbers and let things go from there.

I don't think I have anything else left to say, as I've been here for almost 2 hours typing. I've quite enjoyed posting long insane rants on here and I consider the idea of some random middle aged woman giggling at their computer to be payment enough, despite the debt collectors not seeing it that way, as I'm looking out my front window and see my car being repossessed. I'll be posting again for America's Got Talent Champions, unless I relent to my Mother's wishes and get a one-hour a week paper route before my 65th birthday, in that case, I may be unable to appear.

Edited by InternetToughGuy
  • LOL 5

Detroit Youth Choir, Ndlovu Youth Choir, Macklemore, Kygo - I thought mergers were supposed to result in a better product (except for Time, then Time Warner, then AOL Time Warner, then Warner Media, LLC which is comprised of Time Warner + AT&T...for now), but the two choirs together didn't sound like an improvement or different than either of them alone. Despite my usual schizophrenic assumptions that everyone around me is a hologram, Kygo could've not been there and it would have changed nothing, since most DJs do very little live. Good on Macklemore for making the lyrics of "Can't Hold Us" sound intelligible, compared to DYC yesterday. Terry asking everyone to give him and the others a "second hand" was the most needlessly cryptic reference to the song "Thrift Shop" I've ever heard.

Light Balance Kids, Tyler Butler-Figueroa, Brian King Joseph - Unless Kodi Lee repeats part of his name in a stutter, is this proof that any act with three names will never win the show? Black on black violins had a peaceful resolution tonight with a decent performance, although I continue to think these instrumental songs sound empty after a while without any vocals. That could be testament to a whittled down attention span from screens and vaccines, but regardless, the LBK part wasn't a good replacement for singing and it felt shoehorned in. Paula Abdul being among them was doing what she does best, being seen and not heard in all of her barely lucid glory.

Emanne Beasha & Lang Lang - With how much of his playing sounds like a melodic temper tantrum of indiscriminate key smashing, that phrase about 100 monkeys with typewriters eventually writing Shakespeare comes to mind. This being her swan song performance made me crane my head out in anticipation, but it was honestly one of the better songs she's done and it sounded a lot more enunciated than previous ones.

Ryan Niemiller & Chris Jericho - Jericho is the current World Champion of the new promotion All Elite Wrestling, which is just about to premier its weekly TV show, and nobody bothered to mention any of that pertinent information to the live audience of 10+ million. Way to go, boys. The segment was funny, although the end where Ryan said "never turn your back on the Cripple Threat" seemed like an obvious setup for Jericho to turn around and get kicked in the balls or something, as my armchair quarterbacking has no limits - except for anything related to actual sports, which are too physically taxing even in imagination. Serious question for those here who aren't wrestling fans; is Jericho a familiar name to you? Terry didn't promote him last night, so I'm unsure how relevant he's considered outside of the bubble.

Benicio Bryant & Ozuna - Another guest from a non-American country, hooray. At least it's consistent with the contestants. How many guest performers tonight are from the US, like 3? Not being able to understand the words, the first song "Baila Baila Baila" from my own interpretation was Benicio being a pouty brat who wanted to mock Ryan's impending elimination, knowing he couldn't fight back? Jerk. With that song and "Taki Taki" along with a guy named Lang Lang, it seems like NBC knew this show would suck and wanted to include as much double-speak baby talk as possible so viewers' brains would be tricked into positive emotions. Ozuna was pretty unimpressive and a good example of duets where the talent level is so equal among the two that the only difference is the guest has some name recognition, so there's zero trace of thinking "wow, show rookie Benicio how it's done!" I'd prefer he didn't bother showing up.

Simon & Cher talking - This "sunny" and Cher pairing made little sense, considering Simon's roots in the grey-skied United Kingdom of seasonal affective disorders. Terrible joke aside, the whole segment was embarrassing and pointless. Surely, Simon (who peddles himself as being on the pulse of culture, at least for music) doesn't actually think Pong is a current video game, and the only people who have interest in listening to Cher talk about cake would be people her own age who can no longer digest it.

Julianne Hough & V. Unbeatable - I didn't know Julianne could sing or was launching a music career (if she hadn't already), so hats off to her for juggling so many ventures I don't care about.

Lilly Singh - Why is this woman getting so many opportunities in the entertainment business? I'd assume it's because she's Indian, though her ancestry also reveals 0% humor. Her years of YouTube videos and any other endeavors have been so embarrassing to watch, with tonight further showing her complete lack of aptitude. When what counts as comedy is just mentioning a topic and saying "that's crazy, I want to do it", why even bother?

Voices of Service & Billy Ray Cyrus - Them performing "Some Gave All" was a bold move, mocking the countless contestants who don't put any effort in and are only there for the sob story. In this case, they're showing much self-awareness as well. Not that I'd expect Billy to be cheerily 'doing the worm' on stage during a song about fallen veterans, but he looked miserable throughout the whole performance. Surely, he'd rather be performing "Old Town Road" for the 1001st time? I was wondering where Lil Nas X was, but with VoS around, you'd wonder if "don't ask, don't tell" is the best policy.

Cher - With a phonetic name such as Cher, I expected this diva to be altruistic enough to let a few contestants perform with her, but no such luck. I assumed she was another legacy act nobody pays any mind to, and most people would probably think she's dead, but she supposedly still fills stadiums. Seems like people pretend to be megafans and lip-sync the word watermelon to make it look like they know any lyrics. She was apparently there to promote a fragrance of all things. Cher looks fab for her age, especially despite hailing from Untried Spinach of America. I'd cover her forwards and backwards much like the titular and palindromic ABBA she performed.

Kodi Lee & Leona Lewis - Singing "You Are The Reason" again shows that Kodi is still shifting the blame to others for his life, which is unhealthy but perhaps the driving force of his impassioned performing, so I'll drop it. This was probably the only time I thought he did a good job, it was a surprisingly fitting duet. While the audience was clapping at the end, Kodi jumping up and down looked like he was auditioning for V. Unbeatable in case he got eliminated. He's more cunning than I gave him credit for. Tonight's the last time to bring this up; a while ago, somebody on here said that Kodi's mom keeps appearing with him on stage for no reason and might be trying to sponge her own 15 minutes of fame off of him. I disagree, as the idea of her posturing on camera for the male viewers to proudly advertise that she sired a child with autism would be one of the strangest mating signals I've ever heard.

The only reason I can fathom for Detroit Youth Choir making it to the top two was Detroit's corrupt mayor voting his thumbs into dislocation in hopes that the choir loves their city enough to donate all the money back. Because they really need to fix potholes on the roads that people are getting shot on, beautify that city up.

Kodi winning made me feel empathetic with those who have non-verbal autism, since hearing his name announced made me fold my arms and rock around on the floor, unable to explain my displeasure. Joking, of course, since the result was obvious. At least tonight's performance was good, so I don't think he's devoid of talent, but I really don't think he'll be making waves when the buzz of winning wears off. (which in this increasing digital age, is like 2 days from now) Congratulations to him for winning $1,000,000 before taxes take a bite, but as someone who gets more than that over the same 30 year annuity for a fake back injury, there's more to life than money.

Complaining about this show on the forum has been fun, hopefully everyone drags their miserable "why do I watch this crap" attitude back here for Champions in January.

Edited by Neet
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

Ok admit it......you are going to download Julianne Hough's new single "Transform" cuz now you can't get that song out of your head.   She can perform.....better than she judges....though she made a better showing than Gabby I thought.....Gabby just doesn't want to be a dream crusher.

A bit of season 15 suspense......what will Sethward come back as next year?

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Ameriker displayed the worst of her xenophobia in the voting.

I don't think that's a fair assessment.  You can't possibly know the motive of every voter.   For me, I usually don't care for the ensemble acts, no matter where they're from.  I like the individual acts.  It's just my preference, with no xenophobia involved!

• Love 5

I usually enjoy Julianne's music, but that single didn't reach me.  Maybe it was the "I don't want to change, I want to change the world" chorus--because if you want to change the world, it starts with yourself or nothing happens.  I understand the emotion, but we have too many people with good intentions and poor outcomes already.

That said, I can live with the outcome.  I'd have ranked the top 10 differently, but I'd have ranked a lot of things differently, and that's OK.  (I liked the Legends of Tomorrow take on Abba better, so don't go by me.)

That said, good luck everyone, have a great year (or I'll see you on the boards elsewhere, or both), and one last quote that also captures how I feel:

Thanks to the forum members who kept me laughing and interested in the whole season.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Sounder said:

Ok admit it......you are going to download Julianne Hough's new single "Transform" cuz now you can't get that song out of your head.  

Thankfully, no. I was listening to a podcast about whether rock music is doomed on my way to work and now I have Springsteen's Dancing in the Dark playing my head. And I can't remember how Julianne's song went. (I was too busy trying to make sense of her outfit to really listen, I think.)

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Neet said:

Serious question for those here who aren't wrestling fans; is Jericho a familiar name to you?

I've heard of him; I would probably have been able to tell you he's a wrestler, but I might have had to think about it for a few seconds. Toward the end of the segment I noticed his Twitter handle (which includes his last name) in the corner and it took me a second to figure out what it was referring to.

6 hours ago, Neet said:

Cher looks fab for her age, especially despite hailing from Untried Spinach of America.

Thank her surgeon...

6 hours ago, Neet said:

Complaining about this show on the forum has been fun, hopefully everyone drags their miserable "why do I watch this crap" attitude back here for Champions in January.

You and your brother are two of the reasons I'm still here. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Agreed!  

My favorite part of the show last night was the Peacock commercial.  Especially when he came out of the bathroom with the toilet paper stuck to his foot.  Hilarious!  🙂

I was shocked that DYC made it to 1st runner up. I would have thought they'd be in 10th place.  Be glad Steve Harvey wasn't the host -- he may have announced DYC as the winner!!  LOL

Oh well, a fun season thanks to these great forum members who added levity and amusement to it all.  See ya next season!  

• Love 6

I missed the first hour, but got home in time for Julianne's performance. She gives thanks to Auto-Tune and a solid backing track for enabling her to get through the song. Like @ams1001, I wondered about the painter's tape. In fact, that and her split harem pants kept me from listening to her Auto-Tuned song, so thanks 3M and Duck Brand.

It was a hoot to see Cher and her 60s flashback dancers. I was imagining her as being an AGT auditioning act and was waiting for Simon to stop her to change the track or the lighting or the costumes on her dancers or to sing a different song and stop with the covers. THAT would have been fun. Cher does look great though. She's 73 so she can do whatever she wants in my book. Now HER show I'd pay to see.

As everyone else, couldn't believe my favs were eliminated early, but this show has never listened to me. I'm guessing the Detroit choir got in there since the Detroit metro area is more than 4 million people, so if they all voted ...

I got a kick out of Kodi jumping up and down when he was named one of the final five. At least he doesn't fool around with pretending to be humble and thanking America for the opportunity and this being such a great experience. He was all "Show Me The Money!" and I appreciated that.

I only learned who Leona Lewis is from Songland a couple weeks ago. As someone else posted, was her microphone on? Talk about two mismatched singers. Between those two, my 10 votes went to Kodi.

I kept looking at Gabrielle's "hair" wondering how it can look so real and so fake at the same time.

Sorry to see the show end for the same reason as others have stated. I'm going to have to find something to fill the time before next season and this fun thread starts back up again. Until then ... toodle loo!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Sorry to see the show end for the same reason as others have stated. I'm going to have to find something to fill the time before next season and this fun thread starts back up again. Until then ... toodle loo!

There's always Dancing with the "Stars"!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

OK, then....I only watched the end of the show like I said like I said I would. I will have to go back and see some of the acts, like Cher but the thing I came away with and I don't think anyone has mentioned this....the look of utter defeat on V. Unbeatables' faces when it was announced that it was the end of the road for them. They looked totally crushed(and so was I). Their faces showed their disbelief and dispair.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, suebee12 said:

OK, then....I only watched the end of the show like I said like I said I would. I will have to go back and see some of the acts, like Cher but the thing I came away with and I don't think anyone has mentioned this....the look of utter defeat on V. Unbeatables' faces when it was announced that it was the end of the road for them. They looked totally crushed(and so was I). Their faces showed their disbelief and dispair.

They did look quite sad, the adults or older kids crying or near tears with the one younger boy holding it together.  I guess they shouldn't have believed their own publicity.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

They did look quite sad, the adults or older kids crying or near tears with the one younger boy holding it together.  I guess they shouldn't have believed their own publicity.

It's odd how blindness and autism triumphed over poverty and a death - what kind of a popularity contest is this? It could be construed as a joke if said reasons weren't the only reasons to vote for Kodi.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I didn't know Julianne had a singing career--I'm sorry, a syncing career. The show could have tried a little harder to not make it so obvious that those vocals were prerecorded.

I knew they weren't going to win, but V.Unbeatable really took it the hardest, huh? They zoomed in on that one girl ducking her head behind a teammate to hide her crying and I felt really bad for her.

I'm sure most of us could have predicted that Kodi would win as soon as we saw him, but did anybody think DYC would get as far as runners up? If that's not a perfect microcosm for how blah this season was, idk what is.

Ryan was the most (pleasantly) surprising result. He needed a save last week so I was surprised he made it out of the bottom five, much less into third place. I really like him, but as I mentioned before I think that's because he reminds me of one of my good friends.

I never realized how itsy bitsy Paula Abdul is. Light Balance Kids were towering over her.

I had to laugh every time the acts were paired up for eliminations and the judges looked shocked. Like...they know only one person can win this, right? No matter how deserving you think everybody is, nine out of ten acts were going to lose.

• Love 4

This is the first season ever for this show that all 10 of the top 10 were extremely good. I liked this season.

Not the judges so much, but the acts were great. And who can hate Terry Crews?

Overall, happy with this turnout. No matter who would've won, the "right person/group" still won. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 9/18/2019 at 10:03 PM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Wow, I’m going to have to start by responding to this one.

”Amerker” is usually an all purpose slur vs both the country and the way some midwestern whites talk, so I guess this comment shouldn’t be a surprise. However, how can you possibly accuse the country of “xenophobia” when the Top 5 were: an autistic Asian, 4 black veterans, a group of kids from India, a choir of 150 black kids from Detroit who had no business getting into the finals without an admission ticket... and one lone white guy who was only granted a spot because of a severe deformity. What could you possibly mean by that statement?

The rest of the Final was a continuation of the worst season ever. Benicio should have been a top 3 act and Emmae wins the “I have more talent than the other 9 acts combined but have no chance because, opera” Award. Hmmm... if the voting mingled in some xenophobia, those two might have had a shot.

I didn’t like either choir but the idea that the African group finished in the bottom 5 while the Detroit gang was runner up makes the “fix” word come to mind, something AGT has been practicing since their thinly-veiled setup Champions show.

As far as the 1.5 hours of horrific filler, OMG that was painful. And it wasn’t until Cher (oh and I guess, Paula Abdul) before I actually had heard of any of the “idols” or stars or whatever the guests were. I will say, kudos to Leona Lewis’ plastic surgeon. That is a magnificently sculpted nose.

Julianne was interesting in her performance. It’s good to see a judge who can actually do something. Her looks and personality bugs so many people each and every week, it’s been hilarious to read the constant snipes at her.

As always the greatest final ever, greatest danger act ever, most beneficial group to affect the entire world ever platitudes were nauseating. The new girls sounded like corporate shills parroting prepared comments that just spewed how great these mediocre acts were. We commented that it would be great to put together a finals consisting of 10 acts without stupid sob stories. Call it “America’s Got Just Talent.”

Kodi didn’t hurt my feelings for the win, he was a deserving as any although he was so obviously anointed it was anticlimactic. I’d love to know what the fantasy placement of #2 was about. V Unbeatable's destroyed reaction was a little sad; the audience sounded shocked, too. Voices shouldn’t have been top 5. Benicio was the most overlooked, I thought.

Anyway, over. I have no confidence the next show will be less of a set up fix and a social sob story result show in the future.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, hnygrl said:

No matter who would've won, the "right person/group" still won. 

I don't have any idea what that means, but maybe it's just echoing my wish that Gonzo had won. That's a finale I could have gotten behind (so to speak).

I wonder if we will get a follow up on Kodi to find out if he really did use his winnings to buy a grand piano in every color. Inquiring minds want to know!

• Love 2
11 hours ago, SG11 said:

Wow, I’m going to have to start by responding to this one.

”Amerker” is usually an all purpose slur vs both the country and the way some midwestern whites talk, so I guess this comment shouldn’t be a surprise. However, how can you possibly accuse the country of “xenophobia” when the Top 5 were: an autistic Asian, 4 black veterans, a group of kids from India, a choir of 150 black kids from Detroit who had no business getting into the finals without an admission ticket... and one lone white guy who was only granted a spot because of a severe deformity. What could you possibly mean by that statement?

I probably shouldn't speak for someone else, but I'm guessing what was meant is that the choir from Detroit finished runner-up while the choir from Africa, WAY more talented, collectively and individually, didn't make the top 5. And that V Unbeatable, from India, a WAY better act than the DYC, finished two spots lower than them. 

Xenophobia is about nationalism, not race, so as Kodi and the veteran's group were Americans, the word doesn't apply there. But it would apply to favoring a group from Detroit over a group from Zimbabwe. 

I do agree with you that DYC had no business being in the finals. I didn't even think they deserved to be in the second round. As someone who lived for several years in Detroit, I can tell you that there is a certain amount of "urban decay chic" attached to the city, mostly from people who have never been there. And AGT certainly played up the sympathy angle, so you could feel good about yourself by voting for the plucky kids from the ghetto.. (Actually, Detroit is not the hell on earth it's often made out to be, and it's a surprisingly interesting place to visit.  Some amazing architecture and beautiful old theaters left over from the era when, thanks to the early automotive pioneers, it was one of America's wealthiest cities).

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 6

I do not know what they did to my favorite show, but it has become America’s Got Sob Stories instead of talent. Im tired of being inundated with singers. Since Simon came on the show, to me at least, the quality of the show has gone downhill and all he wants is singers or dogs. Im ok with the dogs but enough of the singers.  I loathe the new judges, especially Hough. I stopped watching DWTS years ago  ecause of her and  her brother. Good  bye AGT.  I miss my old AGT and I loathe the new AGT.  Parting, in this case, is NOT such sweet sorrow.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Ok Happy.....see you at Champions......because despite the turn in the tone of things......it does seem like their trying to pander to correctness too much these days.....it seems the acts in this final carried some sort of "will you donate" feel, the show is as hot as ever.....it's hard not to watch it.

Simon has been in charge of AGT since the beginning.....he likely would've judged from the start.....but he was contracted to Idol at the time.....then he brought X Factor to the US for three seasons.   He has judged BGT from the start.

1 hour ago, Happy Belly said:

I do not know what they did to my favorite show, but it has become America’s Got Sob Stories instead of talent.

That's the way Dancing With the Stars is too.  Not that I lack empathy, but I tune in to watch these shows for the talent, not the stories.  Just dance, sing, or whatever!  Get on with it!  

FWIW, I was hoping to see Ryan win.  I do think he is one of the better comedians that's been on the show.  He didn't seem awkward with his stand-up routine, whereas some of them have in the past.  There's a certain rhythm to getting up there and doing what he does, and I thought he had the flow of it down pat and was pretty damn funny!

There was a couple early on who were acrobats (they were very sexy in their moves!)  I was rooting for them early on and wanted to see more of their act, but sadly, they got eliminated after the second or third round.  Most of the ones I liked dropped off long before the live shows. 

Congrats to Kodi Lee!  

• Love 2

I was looking at what the winners actually get and it's kinda skeevey.

It's not 'really' a million dollars. If you want the whole million it's gonna take you 40 years to get it (25 grand a year for 40 years) or you get 300,000 (BEFORE TAXES) lump sum up front. That's....that's...skeevey.

The headliner show is a 3-show gig at one of the hotels out there. Nothing to write home about. Why would you wanna WIN this show? The kid that won is special needs so it's great to know there will be money coming in every month for the rest of his life, even if it is like 250 a week (before taxes), it's money. But a grown man like the comic? That's just wrong. 

Would be really interested to know what the AGT contract looks like. The BGT one (if I recall correctly) is really messed up talent-wise...they get screwed really badly.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, hnygrl said:

I was looking at what the winners actually get and it's kinda skeevey.

It's not 'really' a million dollars. If you want the whole million it's gonna take you 40 years to get it (25 grand a year for 40 years) or you get 300,000 (BEFORE TAXES) lump sum up front. That's....that's...skeevey.

The headliner show is a 3-show gig at one of the hotels out there. Nothing to write home about. Why would you wanna WIN this show? The kid that won is special needs so it's great to know there will be money coming in every month for the rest of his life, even if it is like 250 a week (before taxes), it's money. But a grown man like the comic? That's just wrong. 

Would be really interested to know what the AGT contract looks like. The BGT one (if I recall correctly) is really messed up talent-wise...they get screwed really badly.

Yeah, when they kept asking finalists about the million dollars, I was yelling at the screen “You don’t get it for 30 years!”

Also, all this talk about being a Vegas “headliner” all that is is an AGT alumni show with the winner as the “headliner.” For a few days. It’s not like they have their own show for an extended period. Besides, lots of the losers DO have their own shows in Vegas... I saw Tape Face there in his own “theatre” this year. AND, a performer like Opera Girl who had ZERO chance to win, is going to be playing at packed houses in NY long after the “winner” is forgotten from this season.

• Love 1

Its turns out.....that Detroit Youth Choir is going to really receive one million dollars..... Mr. White gets a key to the city..... Each member of the choir recieves a mini repleca of that key...... Gee thanks....... But the best part is that ten local Detroit foundations, businesses, and a couple local bank banded together to award the choir the million.  So they'll easily get a larger haul from their AGT experience than champion Kodi Lee.   But don't weep for Kodi...... he's gonna make a fortune that will make the AGT money look like the real chump change it is.   How does NBC benefit from stretching it out over forty years?  Just give the damn million like you try to have us believe.  I know they got it.

• Love 1

Honestly, I think at this point most of the acts want to be on this show purely for the exposure. Sure, winning could pad out your bank account a little bit and would be a nice note to add to your resume, but I think the main goal is just to reach the finals and maximize the amount of performance time you get to do for an audience of millions.

Plenty of winning and non-winning acts have gone on to actually headline their own shows in Vegas. Darci Lynne, it seems, tours constantly, and I'm sure a few others do as well. Singers probably get record deals. Comedians can go from paying clubs to do a set to having the clubs pay them (a lot of comedians are also actors so they can add their AGT sets, complete with judges' praise, to their demo reels).

Of course, none of this is as catchy as "winner gets a million dollars and a headlining act in Las Vegas" but it's definitely closer to the truth. I try not to get too invested in the winner anymore and just watch this show to learn about acts I'd like but might not otherwise know about.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

Darci Lynne, it seems, tours constantly, 

I was catching up on season 3 of the Jim Jefferies Show on demand the last couple nights, and one of the sponsors (as in, every commercial break for 11 episodes...) was the rebooted All That on Nickelodeon (which looks just as dumb as you'd expect). There's one bit where one of the characters is freaking out over a talking puppet. I was only half paying attention so it took me several showings before I realized the puppet is Petunia and you can see Darcy just at the edge of the frame.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

I was catching up on season 3 of the Jim Jefferies Show on demand the last couple nights, and one of the sponsors (as in, every commercial break for 11 episodes...) was the rebooted All That on Nickelodeon (which looks just as dumb as you'd expect). There's one bit where one of the characters is freaking out over a talking puppet. I was only half paying attention so it took me several showings before I realized the puppet is Petunia and you can see Darcy just at the edge of the frame.

I don't support the All That reboot (I have gone back to watch some sketches from the original, which was absolute favorite show of mine growing up, and yikes has it not aged well--my mom was right to be annoyed by it back then), but I do support Darci gettin' that bread. Good for her!

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

I don't support the All That reboot (I have gone back to watch some sketches from the original, which was absolute favorite show of mine growing up, and yikes has it not aged well--my mom was right to be annoyed by it back then), but I do support Darci gettin' that bread. Good for her!

I didn't watch it (I was in college when it first aired) so I was only vaguely aware of it as something I probably wouldn't have watched anyway (though if I was the age it was aimed it, who knows?). Apparently Kenan Thompson and Kel Mitchell are executive producers of the reboot. Kenan also just finished Bring The Funny, while Kel is on Dancing with the Stars this season. (Not the best dancer, but not the worst, either, and he seems to have a good attitude, so I suspect he'll stick around for a bit.) All I got from the commercial was a bunch of over-acting kids who would annoy me real quick.

13 hours ago, hnygrl said:

That really sucks! Think about the large dance/singing groups, they would probably take home more working at McDonalds then what their share would be from AGT.

Maybe the performers think the their little act in Vegas will be seen by some agent and result in a bigger act, but how many AGT acts from the past are still in Vegas? I honestly don't know.

What's really sad is the amount of money the judges make when they don't add anything to the show. The show is probably just a way for Simon to find his next big star to fatten his wallet even more lol.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Sounder said:

So they'll easily get a larger haul from their AGT experience than champion Kodi Lee.   But don't weep for Kodi...... he's gonna make a fortune that will make the AGT money look like the real chump change it is.

I don't see how a career essentially built on pity is going to go anywhere; I was originally going to cite Susan Boyle as an example before realizing she's quite attractive for British standards, but even then, her fame seems contained to Britain and still seems centered on the "ugly woman has a great voice" schtick. It doesn't seem hard to imagine that on occasion Kodi would be in a "mood" and not want to perform while on tour; that or his Mom having to sit beside him and psych him up before every show - that doesn't sound like something anyone would want to go and see.

5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I watched the new All That a few days ago - with the straight face I had throughout the entire show, I was very surprised to not see a Jackie Fabulous executive producer credit.

1 hour ago, InternetToughGuy said:

I don't see how a career essentially built on pity is going to go anywhere; I was originally going to cite Susan Boyle as an example before realizing she's quite attractive for British standards, but even then, her fame seems contained to Britain and still seems centered on the "ugly woman has a great voice" schtick. It doesn't seem hard to imagine that on occasion Kodi would be in a "mood" and not want to perform while on tour; that or his Mom having to sit beside him and psych him up before every show - that doesn't sound like something anyone would want to go and see.

Kodi Lee was doing a lot of performing in clubs before America's Got Talent. This show didn't invent him. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I caught the rerun tonight since I missed the first hour of the live show. It was worth watching again to see Cher. She is FABulous. I wondered what it would be like to be one of her background dancers, if they "socialize" with Cher or get to meet anyone else super cool or if they make a ton of money ... or not. The ginger in the lime-green leisure suit directly to her right was a hottie IMO. I do like Cher in a black wig over the platinum, but who cares what I think.

The rest of this post will be about what I think.

Ryan totally irked me with his "I wouldn't come on this show if I didn't think I was good enough to win it." Honey, then you should have stayed home. His wrestler video wasn't funny for even a fraction of a second, but it was view worthy for the most beautiful man I've ever seen, Latino Meat. I'd pay to see him stand around in those red trunks. Except I googled him and can't find him. (Insert SAD FACE)

But back to Ryan. As a dog groomer, I want to put him up on the grooming table and trim up his hair and beard that haven't been touched by soap and water, much less scissors, for a few months. Then he'd get a tub and blow dry, and then MAYBE he'd look worthy of being on national television. His "I just woke up in the doorway of the mission" homeless look isn't pleasing. That, plus he's not funny IMO. Well, his throwing shade on Simon about the buttons was smile worthy.

Ryan needed to listen to the Cher/Simon discussion of beards.

'Bye Ryan. I won't be going to see anything Gabrielle puts you in via her "production company."

Benecio and his singing partner rocked that place. I'd pay to see both of them. He's one who deserves a career. I very much like him.

Billy Ray and the Voices. Ouch.

When Kodi is announced winner, Terry drops the big WINNER card on the floor. When the camera cuts back, the card is gone yet neither Terry nor Kodi's mom has the card. Where did it go? Inquiring minds want to know.

I'm good with Kodi winning. He sounded good tonight, I was listening, not watching. I even heard Leona. Maybe they tweaked the sound for the rerun. I'd pay to see The Kodi Show.

See ya'll in January for Champions. Yikes, that's almost here!

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1

I ran through the results final as aired and then again just to watch the performances. I thought V.Unbeatable had been skipped, but I FF'd through Julianne's 'singing', and that was what they got? I refuse to to give her any views, no matter how much I like them.

Was there any question it would be Kodi, right from the beginning?

• Love 2