Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: Season Finale

• Start Topic

I don't think Blake or Caelynn are angels.  However, I find it bizarre that Caelynn would trash Blake's reputation during Paradise on national TV and people found this acceptable.  However, when he provided proof of their texts to show Caelynn wasn't telling the truth, then he was ripped apart for going too far.  Wtf?

Blake has every right to defend himself.  I admit that I was on Caelynn's side until I saw those text messages between Blake and Caelynn.  Caelynn is highly manipulative and immature.  I sure hope Dean never breaks her heart.  I wouldn't surprise me if she later says that Blake put duct tape on her mouth and forced her to live in a van with him. Smh...

The thing that irks me the most is when Caelynn had told Blake before going to Paradise to not make a big deal out of anything.  She tried to play it cool even though she had deeper feelings for Blake. She said she was "fine."  Then Jordan points out that when a woman says she's "fine," she actually means the exact opposite.  This is sadly true in general....at least among women in their early 20s.  It's because of these immature women that men do not take "no" for an answer.  Many men have been trained by such women to interpret "no" as "try harder."  It becomes impossible for them to figure out whether to take their partner's words seriously or to assume that their partner actually means the exact opposite.  This is what men mean when they say they don't understand women and why many in the younger generation (30s or younger) have given up on dating altogether.   I have had guy friends that stopped when a woman said "no," and were then insulted by these women for not being "real men" (their "no" meant "try harder").  Not cool. Say what you mean, please. Men should be able to assume that every "no" means "no" instead of wondering whether it is a code word for something else. It causes men a lot of anxiety.  Note: I'm talking about regular men, not actual rapists.

I feel that if a man or woman cannot be upfront with how they feel or establish their boundaries, then they have zero business dating.  It is not Blake's job to read Caelynn's mind. She is 24, not 16.  If she says she is fine and she has zero romantic feelings regarding their fling, then he should be able to believe her.   It is her job as an adult to advocate for herself.  If she wanted a real relationship with Blake, then she should've said that from the start.  Blake definitely made mistakes, but so did Caelynn.  Putting all of the blame on Blake infantilizes Caelynn.  Either she is a grown woman capable of making her own decisions or she is a little girl who needs to be protected from big mean men like Blake.  She can't have it both ways.  It's time to stop infantilizing grown women.  

Edited by PhysNerd
  • Love 22
9 hours ago, Bethanne said:

I just can’t with these people. Fuck that Tanner guy for letting this trash heap show trot out his postpartum wife and toddler and show that traumatic birth experience on national TV. I hate him. 

I can't imagine Tanner would air that video if Jade hadn't okayed it first.  I also assumed that "this was easy," was Tanner repeating what Jade had been saying to people.  I know if I was comparing "baby came in the pre-planned home area a few minutes before the midwife got there" with 12 hours of hard labor, I would call it easy, too.  My one and only baby started coming fast when we had no car and I was in final labor in a taxi full of partying boys and delivered a few minutes after getting to the hospital. I still call it easy.

Jade's a certified exhibitionist.  I'm sure she loves seeing herself in that dramatic video.

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, PhysNerd said:

This is what men mean when they say they don't understand women and why many in the younger generation (30s or younger) have given up on dating altogether.   I have had guy friends that stopped when a woman said "no," and were then insulted by these women for not being "real men" (their "no" meant "try harder").  Not cool. Say what you mean, please. Men should be able to assume that every "no" means "no" instead of wondering whether it is a code word for something else. It causes men a lot of anxiety.  Note: I'm talking about regular men, not actual rapists.

Caelynn disgusts me because she lies and manipulates men to get what she wants. I sympathize with guys who have to deal with girls like her who mess with their heads, who lie to their faces then turn on them when they can't read the girls mind and do what she expects. Blake is a simple guy. I think he just took the things she said at face value and had no clue what a lying little bitch she really is. 

She made it so Blake could have screwed every single female on that beach and I'd still be on his side (so long as they were willing participants) because she is the absolute worst. 

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 12

I just remembered that it was Blake's mother who had an affair with his football coach and the whole school knew about it.  Poor guy must have trust issues with women already and then he gets the kiss and lie about it treatment from Caelynn.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

The more I think about this season, and yes I'm aware of how depressing it is that I'm thinking about this season, the more I'm convinced that BIP's descent into 21 Day Fiancee and all the various efforts to make us think that this is about true love are related to the controversy around Corrine and Demario.  At first it looked like ABC was going to have to close down the show but once they were able to salvage it they had to sell a narrative that they were socially responsible.  Hence the cutting back on alcohol and the increased emphasis on marriage.  Blake was a perfect object lesson for them because he seemed to think everything was cool and then could be caught out for being "wrong reasons.". The old style BIP of going to the beach hanging around and maybe continuing isn't enough to continue the fiction that the producers are doing this to help people find love.  But they need that fiction after the scandal.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, call me ishmael said:

The more I think about this season, and yes I'm aware of how depressing it is that I'm thinking about this season, the more I'm convinced that BIP's descent into 21 Day Fiancee and all the various efforts to make us think that this is about true love are related to the controversy around Corrine and Demario.  At first it looked like ABC was going to have to close down the show but once they were able to salvage it they had to sell a narrative that they were socially responsible.  Hence the cutting back on alcohol and the increased emphasis on marriage.  Blake was a perfect object lesson for them because he seemed to think everything was cool and then could be caught out for being "wrong reasons.". The old style BIP of going to the beach hanging around and maybe continuing isn't enough to continue the fiction that the producers are doing this to help people find love.  But they need that fiction after the scandal.

I’m sure that definitely sped things up, but once Jade and Tanner happened I think this was the show’s (unfortunate) destiny. Now Harrison’s goal is to just keep adding to the list of couples that have made it from this show, “Jade and Tanner. Carly and Evan. Ashley and Jared...”

I used to watch a lot of reality shows, and I’ve noticed the first couple seasons are loose, strange, fun, interesting, and bizarre. They’re what hook us originally. But once producers find a hook for the show they become more and more scripted and the contestants just want to be on TV, so they’ll follow whatever narrative the show wants. This season was awful, but it was also infinitely easier to film than prior seasons. Producers had this whole season figured out before the first contestant showed up. I’m sure there was some room for couples to break up/get together, but nothing was going to be a surprise. Blake and Stagecoach was going to start, Demi’s “relationship” was going to follow, then Caelyn and Dean would have their shit go down. This was set up to have content evenly spread out over 21 days, no dead spots, and no “good” footage wasted because other storylines were more important. Just following people around for 21 days and hoping you catch stuff is too risky for ABC. And signs are that ratings are up, which justifies the process. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Stan39 said:

And signs are that ratings are up, which justifies the process. 

Yep, people can complain all they want as long as they keep watching the show is going to keep going in the direction it is. 

I do agree about your "reality show arch" I've seen it on pretty much every reality show. The first season is raw, unexpected, there is something that gets the audience talking. Production takes that thing people talk about and start forcing it in the next seasons, can't rely on the same magic happening all on it's own. People who want to get on the show see the things that make "fan favorites" or "love to hate villains" and practice doing those things and the whole thing becomes fake. It's really inevitable. Even on straight up competition shows, like cooking shows, contestants get savvy to what gets more screen time and play a character. 

I rarely make it through many seasons of reality shows for this reason. I haven't actually made it through a whole season of a Bach show in years. I watch the first few, get the gist of the story line, then just follow along online out of some sort of morbid fascination, but even that is waning. 

But ratings wise, these shows are a huge success, fairly cheap to produce against a multi million dollar an ep drama, and bring in huge numbers no matter how many people complain that the show sucks. lol And there is so much ability to cross market, with them going on DWTS, doing commentator stuff, the events, etc. This franchise is big business. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Stan39 said:

I’m sure that definitely sped things up, but once Jade and Tanner happened I think this was the show’s (unfortunate) destiny. Now Harrison’s goal is to just keep adding to the list of couples that have made it from this show, “Jade and Tanner. Carly and Evan. Ashley and Jared...”

I used to watch a lot of reality shows, and I’ve noticed the first couple seasons are loose, strange, fun, interesting, and bizarre. They’re what hook us originally. But once producers find a hook for the show they become more and more scripted and the contestants just want to be on TV, so they’ll follow whatever narrative the show wants. This season was awful, but it was also infinitely easier to film than prior seasons. Producers had this whole season figured out before the first contestant showed up. I’m sure there was some room for couples to break up/get together, but nothing was going to be a surprise. Blake and Stagecoach was going to start, Demi’s “relationship” was going to follow, then Caelyn and Dean would have their shit go down. This was set up to have content evenly spread out over 21 days, no dead spots, and no “good” footage wasted because other storylines were more important. Just following people around for 21 days and hoping you catch stuff is too risky for ABC. And signs are that ratings are up, which justifies the process. 

You may be right and I certainly agree with your notion that at a certain point the shows start repeating themselves both because the producers want it and because the characters start playing roles.  But the particular story line is more contingent.  All of your spot on plot lines could happen without the engagement fetish.   But then it would just be “another reality show.”  Harrison on BIP is just a smoother version of Pastor Cal on Married at First Sight.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, call me ishmael said:

All of your spot on plot lines could happen without the engagement fetish.

I get the feeling the contestants are the ones with the engagement fetish once they realized how much more attention they would get for their social media sales "careers". Few individuals get as much attention as the "couples" do, whether successful or not. This show is all about these morons becoming "influencers" so they need to do whatever it takes to keep the public talking about them. Engagement is the easiest way to do so. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, call me ishmael said:

You may be right and I certainly agree with your notion that at a certain point the shows start repeating themselves both because the producers want it and because the characters start playing roles.  But the particular story line is more contingent.  All of your spot on plot lines could happen without the engagement fetish.   But then it would just be “another reality show.”  Harrison on BIP is just a smoother version of Pastor Cal on Married at First Sight.

I guess my point is that the engagements are part of the manufactured drama. Rather than let things end somewhat surprisingly or organically, where our favorite couples might just decide to continue dating in the real world, the show wants engagements to put a bow on the season. Heck, even the Bachelor didn’t start off with the lead getting engaged at the end but now that’s pretty much mandatory. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, Stan39 said:

Rather than let things end somewhat surprisingly or organically, where our favorite couples might just decide to continue dating in the real world

That would be The!Most!Shocking!Season!EVER!!!! if they all just decided to go home and date without cameras around. hahahaha

• Love 4
On 9/19/2019 at 10:14 AM, Jushi said:

I made an account just to comment on this. I really enjoy reading these forums but sometimes people on here think they know everything. Why is everyone being so harsh on Katie? You have no idea what their relationship is like on a day to day basis. You're basing everything off 15 minutes of television. I'm guessing none of you must know what it's like to be in a relationship where you feel unloved and unwanted. You're very lucky for that.

The relationship is just a manufactured, short lived, drama.  Don't like the roller coaster?  Don't buy a ticket on the Bachelor express.

WELCOME @Jushi!

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 1
On 9/17/2019 at 7:43 PM, nutty1 said:

Please pardon my ignorance, but I thought the term queer was something of the past, an insulting term. I guess I’m wrong?? I’m dead serious with my question. 

Queer is totally mainstream in the academy, and in popular culture--Queer Eye for the Straight Guy anyone?

• Love 1
On 11/6/2019 at 5:41 AM, nlkm9 said:

Lol. I read somewhere that she was taking a 3 day break from social media because she was devestated and was back on next day . Lol.

Hannah says she’s proud of Demi for being so honest. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1