Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E09: It's Definitely Gator Water

• Start Topic

I thought that Bill giving Will a knife was a big mistake.

I was surprised that Jen went along with it. I wouldn't have.

I'd be willing to bet that the knife is not accessible to Will and is given to him only under supervision.  As soon as Will swung the axe, Bill should have taken it away from him.  Will needs to learn that there are consequences for not obeying his parents.  

I used to love camping (I was a lot younger) but I would never go for one night.  Too much work.  For me, a week of camping was perfect.  I also avoided places with a lot of bugs.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

Is there a possibility that maybe a hearing problem with Will is involved??  I believe there were issues with his hearing when he was initially evaluated (unless I'm mis-remembering it)?

He did have tubes “installed” after he was diagnosed with a deficiency a few years back so I think that is fixed...I imagine if Jen had yelled “who’s ready for cake and ice cream“ Will might, just might, have heard that!  I think he is like his name Willful!

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 9
11 minutes ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

He did have tubes “installed” after he was diagnosed with a deficiency a few years back so I think that is fixed...I imagine if Jen had yelled “who’s ready for cake and ice cream“ Will might, just might, have heard that!  I think he is like his name Willful!

LOLOLOL....I would have to agree with you!!  Upon second thought, I think if Will had any clinical issues Jen would have jumped right on it.

I guess I was trying to come up with any rationale to explain Will's intransigent behavior because he's 9 now (I believe) and before we know it he's going to be a teenager and we all know what potential there is for teen rebellion (especially as their driving age approaches).

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

LOLOLOL....I would have to agree with you!!  Upon second thought, I think if Will had any clinical issues Jen would have jumped right on it.

I guess I was trying to come up with any rationale to explain Will's intransigent behavior because he's 9 now (I believe) and before we know it he's going to be a teenager and we all know what potential there is for teen rebellion (especially as their driving age approaches).

Will is not developmentally 9. It could be a combination of his first 2 years in China combined with a natural tendency to treat him younger because of his size. I noticed he was carrying a stuffed animal with him when Bill gave him the knife. The two don't really go together. I have a nephew the same age. He is small for his age but not a little person. He would never go out of the house with a stuffed animal.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, retired watcher said:

I have a nephew the same age. He is small for his age but not a little person. He would never go out of the house with a stuffed animal.

I have a grandson who is a normal-sized 9 y.o. and, no, he has no interest in stuffed animals.

There are "attachment" issues that kids like Will and Zoey have (in addition to their size) and I think it's a great thing that Jen and Bill are of similar stature to the kids.  I think the kids are functioning in a world where a lot of people in their social circle look like Jen and Bill (although Florida is extremely multi-cultural) so I think the international adoption, the physical differences they have and their own physical identities are possible causes for things like stuffed animals (and Zoey thumb sucking) being important coping mechanisms for them.

It's true that both kids are growing up in affluence and love with parents who shower them with every conceivable opportunity to thrive; however, each must have emotional issues that surface in different types of behavior that Bill and Jen should probably redirect when appropriate.

• Love 7

I feel like Jen was being such a buzzkill everyone was tuning out her doom and gloom. Will definitely needs to mind his parents, but if the campsite was that fraught with danger, why bother going? 

With regards to the knife, I agree Will isn't on a maturity level where that's an appropriate object for him to have. However, the kids are given so many new toys on a regular basis, I don't think he'll notice if it "disappears." 

• Love 11
12 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I feel like Jen was being such a buzzkill everyone was tuning out her doom and gloom. Will definitely needs to mind his parents, but if the campsite was that fraught with danger, why bother going? 

With regards to the knife, I agree Will isn't on a maturity level where that's an appropriate object for him to have. However, the kids are given so many new toys on a regular basis, I don't think he'll notice if it "disappears." 

Perfect description of Jen’s overall behavior for that over the top Airstream one night stand beside a retail store on a KOA campground!  

Yep, Jen just might have a new scalpel to take to work...lol

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, pdlinda said:

Is there a possibility that maybe a hearing problem with Will is involved??  I believe there were issues with his hearing when he was initially evaluated (unless I'm mis-remembering it)?

I tend to think that if there was a hearing problem, Bill and Jen would definitely mention it to explain him ignoring them. Also, TLC probably wouldn't pass up the chance to pour on the drama if there was a hearing problem.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, pdlinda said:

I believe you are correct.  I think he had tubes put in.  I would imagine he has routine hearing tests, though.

• Love 1
On 9/18/2019 at 2:06 PM, walnutqueen said:

Camping in Florida in the summer?  That would be a big N-O for me.   Of course, Florida, any time of the year, is a big N-O for me ...  ;~)

Hahaha! I get you! I just moved from Florida and have never been happier! Should have done it years ago. 

Jen clearly didn't want to go camping but did it anyway. For the camera....

• Love 3

I see the show loses a few more viewers every week. Maybe too much Bill this year? Also, now his family is always on the shows, and no more Judy? I wonder if that is her choice? For me, Jen was always what attracted me to the show, not Bill. She is the big success story.

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, winsomeone said:

Also, now his family is always on the shows, and no more Judy?

Bill's father and brothers live much closer to Bill and Jen than Judy and Dave do. I think that's why we are seeing more of Bill's family since the move to Florida.

• Love 2
On 9/18/2019 at 1:49 PM, RebeccatheWriter said:

I'm a worrier and hate the outdoors, but even I was over all Jen's warnings and concerns. 

A few years ago a little boy was eaten by an alligator at a Disney resort. If there's an alligator in that water, and Will or Zoey are standing at the edge of that water, they're dinner.  It would happen so fast no one would have time to even react, so I completely understand why Jen was a little freaked out about it.

• Love 20

I think Jen is overly cautious with the kids because she knows that, if anything happened, she would be physically unable to do anything about it.  Even if they fall down, she would not be able to pick them up.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
24 minutes ago, camom said:

I think Jen is overly cautious with the kids because she knows that, if anything happened, she would be physically unable to do anything about it.  Even if they fall down, she would not be able to pick them up.

I hadn't thought of that. Bill could be even then they are both limited. 

• Love 2
On 9/20/2019 at 7:03 AM, winsomeone said:

I see the show loses a few more viewers every week. Maybe too much Bill this year?

I was just on a message board from a shopping channel and there was a thread about the show.  The consensus was that the show has become boring, the kids are not well behaved and continuing to watch it has become pointless.

On the other hand, there are thousands and thousands of Facebook posts where adoring fans relentlessly fawn over the family and the kids.  Not even ONE negative comment.

My guess is that the show has run its course.  It will not be renewed.  That is probably best for the kids as once they're out of the media spotlight their development might be more prone to "normal."

Of course, the family will have to adapt to the loss of income.  Bill, for one, will probably regret not being seen as a "celebrity."  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, pdlinda said:

I was just on a message board from a shopping channel and there was a thread about the show.  The consensus was that the show has become boring, the kids are not well behaved and continuing to watch it has become pointless.

On the other hand, there are thousands and thousands of Facebook posts where adoring fans relentlessly fawn over the family and the kids.  Not even ONE negative comment.

My guess is that the show has run its course.  It will not be renewed.  That is probably best for the kids as once they're out of the media spotlight their development might be more prone to "normal."

Of course, the family will have to adapt to the loss of income.  Bill, for one, will probably regret not being seen as a "celebrity."  

As much as I love Zoey (really the only reason I watch) it is turning reminiscent of when Matt Roloff would spend an entire season product endorsing to get free stuff for his house. Rather then showcase the ups and downs of dwarfism and other related aspects these over the top birthday parties are a perfect example. They don't spend a dime of their own money. But will gladly accept this ridiculousness.

• Love 3
On 9/19/2019 at 7:57 AM, woodscommaelle said:

If your mom asks you to hand her the hatchet,  you hand her the hatchet.

If your mom asks you to get off the deck/pier bc of alligators, you do that.

Will did none of that. He doesn't listen to her, and that is just so not ok.  

Bill overhearing Zoey tell her ghost story:  she's a little dark.

Next line out of Zoey's mouth: and then they all died! LOL. 

When Jen told Will to give her the hatchet, Bill says "he can hold it". Way to undermine your wife Bill! No wonder Will doesn't listen to her. 

• Love 12

For me, the show lost its appeal due to the kids becoming front and center.  I'd rather see the stories about the parents. As proud as Jen and Bill are of their kids, they strike me as rather annoying children who will likely become very difficult older children.  I can easily envision them causing a lot of grief. I hate to say that, but, they just seem rather aggressive and too full of themselves.  I hope I'm wrong. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

For me, the show lost its appeal due to the kids becoming front and center.  I'd rather see the stories about the parents. As proud as Jen and Bill are of their kids, they strike me as rather annoying children who will likely become very difficult older children.  I can easily envision them causing a lot of grief. I hate to say that, but, they just seem rather aggressive and too full of themselves.  I hope I'm wrong. 

Same here.

I thought they were so lovable when they were first introduced. They were typical children then, acting how children act, totally natural as they were unaware of the cameras....yet.

Since then, they've become sharply aware of them, hamming it up for them,  expecting total attention and the obligatory oohs and aaahs they've become so accustomed to. 

In short, I wished it was back to just Jen and Bill, though that's not possible at this point, but I am totally over Zoey and Will.

I feel like an ogre for feeling this way, but I can't help it.

• Love 10

I recall when I was a kid, there were certain families who came to visit us and when they pulled into the drive, we all yelled, NOOO, those kids!  They were parents who had annoying kids that they didn't monitor or control.  I wonder if Bill and Jen are that way.  Maybe, the kids are better when not around Jen and Bill.  I've seen it that way too.  lol

• Love 5

There are a couple of things that bother me.  First,  the way Zoey is treated like a toddler.  I know she is extremely small. Bill's step mom is guilty of this,  holding Zoey like she is 2 year old.  Then,  the aunt holding Zoey on her lap while Zoey was rambling on with the ghost story.  You would not normally hold or carry a 7 year old like that.  I know there is developmental delays with both of the kids.  Zoey is bright and has really thrived but in addition to looking like a toddler,  she acts more like a toddler than a 7 year old.  My brother use to ramble on with stories like that when he was 3 years old. 

I also do not like when family members have their kids there and they are basically ignored,  even by their own parents,  in favor of Will & Zoey.  When they had the episode a few weeks ago where they were at Bill's dad's house and his brothers and their families were there,  all of the attention was put on Will & Zoey. Only mention of the other kids was when one of them said "this is my cousin...".  Same thing happens on that show with the all female quints, the aunt's and uncles basically ignore their own kids in favor of the girls. 

Just my opinion. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
On 9/20/2019 at 7:25 AM, winsomeone said:

Will seems to have what some children have..selective hearing..hear what they want to hear is all, and ignore what they don't want to hear.

It could also be he is somewhat tone deaf. Its not usually tested for and it can make it hard for kids to understand when mom is using her right now voice versus just casually calling them back. My sister has a similar issue and it drove my mom(especially since my mom is Cree and uses tones more than most English speakers) nuts when we were kids until we figured it out. We realized when she started to really try to sing as she got older and she didn't even realize when she was off key. Will reminds me of my sister sometimes when he doesn't acknowledge hos parents. It might have played a role in Will's language development too since Mandarin is so tonal.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 9/18/2019 at 10:18 AM, Kohola3 said:

can only imagine the mess after all of those people being inside to eat and use the bathroom.  If that wasn't a rental then it would certainly have to be sold as used.

That's the one part that made me fume... Jen using the bathroom after they emptied the sewage. She's a smart gal but she is clearly not observant.