Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E09: It's Definitely Gator Water

• Start Topic

Zoey made me laugh with her scary story and then later about the knife being used to cut off a head. Girl has a dark streak! I see a future horror fan! 

I thought the camping looked fun. Maybe because it reminded me of going fishing to the middle of nowhere in Canada with our close family friends. 

• Love 4

I was absolutely dying when Zoey was telling her ghost story. If she doesn't end up working with animals, she can give Stephen King a run for his money. I also thought she looked adorable in her little khaki shorts and top knot. 

Camping isn't my cup of tea either. If I have to lug a bunch of crap, set it up, take it down, cook and get devoured by mosquitos, then it's not much of a vacation for me. I know a lot of people love it though, so it's just a matter of preference.

With that said, Jen really needed to lighten up. The kids are smart enough to not go around chewing on Oleander and shaking hands with alligators. Bill's sister-in-law looked pretty over it by the end of the weekend. 

Will's suggestion of using his knife to open Amazon boxes was funny. 

• Love 14
38 minutes ago, retired watcher said:

I'm with Jen. My idea of camping is in a hotel.

Me too. I want a hot shower and a comfortable bed. I did my time fishing in Canada. Mosquito netting for sleeping, port-o-potties outside in a shed and even no electricity island that had no toilets! We never slept in a tent but the cabins were very rustic. 

25 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Will's suggestion of using his knife to open Amazon boxes was funny. 

I loved it! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
36 minutes ago, Libby said:

I thought that Bill giving Will a knife was a big mistake.

I was surprised that Jen went along with it. I wouldn't have.

I have my worries but as long as they let him handle it with supervision. He is also in scouts and they do use knives to whittle and stuff so I get it. I was reminded of our fishing trips and all three of us kids running around with jack knives. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 3
55 minutes ago, SongbirdHollow said:

I love camping but not in Florida in the summer!

Looks like Bill put his foot down on the knife. Jen was not pleased. Nor would I be, Will doesn't seem ready. The way he was swinging that hatchet around!

No she wasn’t pleased!  And I think Bill sees Will as his mini me and doesn’t want to admit that Will is behind in his maturity level.  Jen’s doctor’s hat sees Will as he is.  This is the first time in a while I have sensed Bill and Jen aren’t on the same page..Bill was putting his foot down and Jen was awkwardly smiling through it.  I don’t blame her for hating camping!  Yuck, in that heat and with mosquitos.  It was hilarious when Bill freaked about the big bad bug going after him and were they actually bleeping swear words?!  What a waste of money on the tent as they all slept in the RV or did that not include his brother and family?  Not sure there was room in there for them all.  

Jen went overboard with her oleander fear even saying to Zoey “it can kill you!”  Wow.  How about it could make you very sick instead of such a dire warning for a small child...surprised Zoey didn’t use oleander in her scary story later!  LOL

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
25 minutes ago, calpurnia99 said:

If Will and Riley really are in Cub Scouts, one of the things they do as Bears (3rd grade) is earn their Whittling Chip. It is done as part of the den meetings or pack camping trip and all the boys get their knives but have to follow a bunch of safety things to earn it. Once they earn they earn their "Whittling Chip" they can carry the knife when camping. I know because I was a Cub Scout leader and had 10 boys in my basement to earn their whittling chips. My son- of course!- was the only one to cut his thumb open! He couldnt get it to close, so he used his thumb to close it. I was prepared with First Aid supplies though!

I don't understand why the fathers were doing this when it is part of Cub Scouts.  hey ask the fathers to come to the meeting when they are earning it. Unless it's fake and they are not really in Cub Scouts? Or unless they already earned it in Cub Scouts and it is a fake reenactment for the show?

I think we all tend to forget that Jen could have gone on disability when she turned 18, no questions asked. Having so many surgeries and a real severe disability she would have easily been approved. She could be laying in bed and at home all day doing nothing. The fact that she is so accomplished, way way more than most able bodied people is amazing. She doesnt complain either but she must have aches and pains. No, she cannot sleep on the ground with her bones how they are! 

Yes, how many people could work and be something but choose not too even try. I know someone who's wife is one of those people. She has a talent that she could easily get a decent paying job somewhere. Its a talent that she loves. She prefers to stay home and have "public aid" be her lifestyle (those are her words). Meanwhile, they are losing their second home and owe their friends $$$. Kudos to Jen for taking the brilliant mind God gave her and despite the challenges making something of herself. Same with Bill and all the other Jens and Bills out there. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, SongbirdHollow said:

Looks like Bill put his foot down on the knife. Jen was not pleased. Nor would I be, Will doesn't seem ready. The way he was swinging that hatchet around!

I was worried about that hatchet as well.  Bill was way too blase about that.  I am not a fan of giving kids things like knives that ostensibly will be used with supervision but, in reality, will be a magnet for them all of the time - supervised or not.  I know as I kid the forbidden items were the most attractive and worthy of all kinds of shenanigans to use secretly.

26 minutes ago, calpurnia99 said:

The fact that she is so accomplished, way way more than most able bodied people is amazing.

Absolutely.  In fact you have to appreciate the obstacles they have both had to confront and overcome.  Bill's confession about being suicidal was heartbreaking.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Kohola3 said:

I was worried about that hatchet as well.  Bill was way too blase about that.  I am not a fan of giving kids things like knives that ostensibly will be used with supervision but, in reality, will be a magnet for them all of the time - supervised or not.  I know as I kid the forbidden items were the most attractive and worthy of all kinds of shenanigans to use secretly.

Absolutely.  In fact you have to appreciate the obstacles they have both had to confront and overcome.  Bill's confession about being suicidal was heartbreaking.

That is another aspect. Trying not to give up. 

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, calpurnia99 said:

If Will and Riley really are in Cub Scouts, one of the things they do as Bears (3rd grade) is earn their Whittling Chip. It is done as part of the den meetings or pack camping trip and all the boys get their knives but have to follow a bunch of safety things to earn it. Once they earn they earn their "Whittling Chip" they can carry the knife when camping. I know because I was a Cub Scout leader and had 10 boys in my basement to earn their whittling chips. My son- of course!- was the only one to cut his thumb open! He couldnt get it to close, so he used his thumb to close it. I was prepared with First Aid supplies though!

I don't understand why the fathers were doing this when it is part of Cub Scouts.  hey ask the fathers to come to the meeting when they are earning it. Unless it's fake and they are not really in Cub Scouts? Or unless they already earned it in Cub Scouts and it is a fake reenactment for the show?

I think we all tend to forget that Jen could have gone on disability when she turned 18, no questions asked. Having so many surgeries and a real severe disability she would have easily been approved. She could be laying in bed and at home all day doing nothing. The fact that she is so accomplished, way way more than most able bodied people is amazing. She doesnt complain either but she must have aches and pains. No, she cannot sleep on the ground with her bones how they are! 

We camp quite a bit, in a camper. We also camped in a tent several years ago when we first started camping, had we not "traded up" for a camper that would have ended my camping excursions. I thoroughly enjoy camping but I was sore for a few days from laying on the ground, so I don't blame her one bit for demanding a camper. 

• Love 8

I realize this was all for a show but I thought renting a trailer (which is different from a camper, by the way) for only one night was kind of silly.  All that hassle for an overnight? At least do a weekend or something!  

I wonder if that was supposed to be a commercial for Airstream.  Who cleaned up after them?  I can only imagine the mess after all of those people being inside to eat and use the bathroom.  If that wasn't a rental then it would certainly have to be sold as used.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I realize this was all for a show but I thought renting a trailer (which is different from a camper, by the way) for only one night was kind of silly.  All that hassle for an overnight? At least do a weekend or something!  

I wonder if that was supposed to be a commercial for Airstream.  Who cleaned up after them?  I can only imagine the mess after all of those people being inside to eat and use the bathroom.  If that wasn't a rental then it would certainly have to be sold as used.

any kind of camping is a shit ton of work! people often say why not get an RV and save on hotels?  Because set up and clean up is a ton of work and you have to dump the toilet etc. I loved it as a kid, because the parents did all of the work! Once I was the adult and it took an entire day to pack all the stuff and an other entire day to break down the campsite and another day to clean everything and put it away.  And yeah mosquitoes when they were fishing, the great outdoors!!! But I have great memories as a kid, we had tents with cots, it was okay, plus I was a kid! 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Jen went overboard with her oleander fear even saying to Zoey “it can kill you!”  Wow.  How about it could make you very sick instead of such a dire warning for a small child...surprised Zoey didn’t use oleander in her scary story later!  LOL

Oleander IS deadly and it definitely CAN kill you, and children need to be made aware of this fact.  Telling her it could make her sick is akin to telling her an alligator might bite her and give her an owie.

Camping in Florida in the summer?  That would be a big N-O for me.   Of course, Florida, any time of the year, is a big N-O for me ...  ;~)

• Love 19

Calling BS about Jen not knowing because she had multiple Happy Camper shirts and Will was in one..so unless she went speed shopping or one day Amazon delivery.... it was on the TLC shooting schedule as was the Airstream rental and the hitch needed on Bill's SUV....

Too bad they had to film the camping episode in summer...it would have been less buggy and humid

Knives are all fun and games until someone gets stabbed....

Will was too loosey goosey with the hatchet and then Bill gives him a 6 inch blade knife...nooo

Jen took the knife away from Will and Bill...neither is mature enough to make good decisions...

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

We camp quite a bit, in a camper. We also camped in a tent several years ago when we first started camping, had we not "traded up" for a camper that would have ended my camping excursions. I thoroughly enjoy camping but I was sore for a few days from laying on the ground, so I don't blame her one bit for demanding a camper. 

And with all her surgeries (including the recent), it makes more sense to sleep in some kind of actual bed and not on the ground, even with an air mattress of some kind. 

1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

I think rental places are kind of used to that, though I thought it was rather large for all of them for just one night. 

1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

Oleander IS deadly and it definitely CAN kill you, and children need to be made aware of this fact.  Telling her it could make her sick is akin to telling her an alligator might bite her and give her an owie.

Sometimes you have to be very stern and direct or kids get way too curious. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

I’m willing to let some behavior issues go by, but when the kids ran into the camper and started jumping on the bed and the couch with their shoes on I really cringed.

I absolutely hated that.  I get that Jen is a super perfectionist and wants to avoid correcting her children  and disagreeing with her husband while the cameras are rolling, but the kids should be taught at home not to jump on furniture when shopping or visiting.  

3 hours ago, calpurnia99 said:

I think it is probably the latter.  They showed the car races that Will did in Cub Scouts so I don't doubt that he is a scout.  I would like to think that most of the time the knife is kept in a drawer.

We have done a lot of camping over the years.  Grayson Highlands State Park is probably my favorite place, although I have good memories of Rend Lake State Park, too.   We have a large tent that is 20 feet by 10 or 12.   It is a real pain to set up, and we only use it if we will be at a site at least 3 nights.  We are both getting too old to enjoy sleeping on the ground, and future camping will probably be done in cabins with beds or at a lodge.   I am with Jen on that.

1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

yes, although I think all the children are old enough to know not to eat the flowers or leaves.  Also the leaves can cause a rash so it is a good plant to avoid.  We had a huge one when I was growing up.   Maybe it was the location of the plant, but I never had any desire to go near it.

I am looking forward next week to the trip to see the mermaids at Weeki Wachee Springs.  We used to go back in the 60's when it was just a tourist attraction, but now it is part of the state park system.   The water park was not there when we were kids.  The water is very cold to swim in, but as children we didn't care.  I am not sure I would want to even put my toes in now even in the summer heat.   Speaking of summer,  camping in Florida is much better in October or March than the summer months.  I did not envy them their camping experience at all.  

2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I would not be at all surprised to learn that they bought it, and it will be used by other family members as well.  

• Love 5

Jen made the oleander bush a bigger menace to their lives than the gators...

Yes,  o-lee bushes are poisonous but millions of kids have  learn to steer clear and so will the Klein kids....

Near Yosemite there is a newish lodging alternative where you stay in new parked Airstreams and have to whole outdoors experience without having to tow the Airstream yourself...

I should let Bill know so he can get Jen to agree to take the kids to Yosemite....

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
29 minutes ago, Twopper said:

I am looking forward next week to the trip to see the mermaids at Weeki Wachee Springs.  We used to go back in the 60's when it was just a tourist attraction, but now it is part of the state park system.   The water park was not there when we were kids.  The water is very cold to swim in, but as children we didn't care.  I am not sure I would want to even put my toes in now even in the summer heat.   Speaking of summer,  camping in Florida is much better in October or March than the summer months.  I did not envy them their camping experience at all.  

My family used to go there all the time int he late 60s early 70s! I wanted to be a mermaid when I was younger! I would even practice holding my breathe and acting scenes out underwater. It didn't even dawn on me they would be there. I MUST watch! 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Jen made the oleander bush a bigger menace to their lives than the gators...

Yes,  o-lee bushes are poisonous but millions of kids have  learn to steer clear and so will the Klein kids....

They'll only learn to steer clear of oleander if someone teaches them about the danger.  Or, if they have a non-fatal encounter with oleander.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

My family used to go there all the time int he late 60s early 70s! I wanted to be a mermaid when I was younger! I would even practice holding my breathe and acting scenes out underwater. It didn't even dawn on me they would be there. I MUST watch! 

It was in the promos for next week.  I, too, was a mermaid wannabe except when I wanted to be one of the people who water skied in a group and did tricks.   I haven't been this excited since they stopped at the Florida Caverns State Park during the move to Florida.   I may keep watching if they keep going to my fav places in the state.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, Twopper said:

It was in the promos for next week.  I, too, was a mermaid wannabe except when I wanted to be one of the people who water skied in a group and did tricks.   I haven't been this excited since they stopped at the Florida Caverns State Park during the move to Florida.   I may keep watching if they keep going to my fav places in the state.

I remember getting to Florida and there was some type of store or something that was a giant orange. And I remember my parents getting me the plastic orange with the straw to drink juice out of.  the older I get the more my memories are snippets. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 5

Oh, man!! Now they will be in my backyard!! I grew up in the town where Weeki  Wachee is located. My cousin was a mermaid and one of my best friends is STILL a mermaid in her mid-60s! (you couldn’t pay me to be in a bathing suit now). Lots of girls in high school were mermaids at one time or another. But many of them quit because of constant ear aches.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, ehall1052 said:

Oh, man!! Now they will be in my backyard!! I grew up in the town where Weeki  Wachee is located. My cousin was a mermaid and one of my best friends is STILL a mermaid in her mid-60s! (you couldn’t pay me to be in a bathing suit now). Lots of girls in high school were mermaids at one time or another. But many of them quit because of constant ear aches.

I am jealous! My childhood dream career! Except I lived too far away. And when I was younger was not terribly attractive in a bathing suit. Still don't like them but I love to swim. 

• Love 3

@Twopper What did you like so much about Grayson Highlands? That's not too far from me and I always wondered if it was worth a visit.

I know the Cub Scouts are big on knife safety (probably the only reason Jen gave in) so I'm hoping Will gets plenty of instruction there...and I hope Bill takes it all very seriously and quits joking around so much.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Absolom said:

Ratings are in:  1.075 M viewers and a .17 rating.

What does that mean?  good, bad or indifferent?

4 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I remember getting to Florida and there was some type of store or something that was a giant orange. And I remember my parents getting me the plastic orange with the straw to drink juice out of.  the older I get the more my memories are snippets. 

We have the same memory snippets.  I think the big orange place must have  been near the mermaids as I free associate the two.  The welcome stations to the state also served oj in those plastic oranges.  We made several trips every summer between Georgia and Florida and collected lots of plastic oranges.

We used to visit the Florida caverns in Marianna regularly, but it was too hot and humid in the summer;  we never camped in Florida.

1 hour ago, Absolom said:

Why were they enacting the comedy of dumping the RV tank when the St Pete KOA has full hookups for the RVs?  Sometimes TLC gets on my last nerve.

I have no idea.  I  started watching close to the end and then watched the part that I missed.  I had thought they were at some state park, but then I noticed the sign as they drove in.  I paused the dvr and saw that they were at a KOA.  I guess they wanted to stay very close to home for their first excursion.   Not a bad idea;  I think on our first camp trip with our younger child we were only 15 miles from home.   The only thing I could figure was that they had parked the trailer in the tent camping area and maybe there were no hookups there, but I don't know.  Maybe they just wanted to show off.   I can see Bill wanting to demonstrate it;  he is the master of puppy pee pads so he is all into potty stuff.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, Twopper said:

What does that mean?  good, bad or indifferent?

Sinking into indifferent.  The ratings have overall been dropping as the season went along.

Camping at the local KOA is far, far from roughing it.  For a first trip, it's not a bad idea though.  I'm not sure they'll let you park an RV at the tent spaces.  They'll want that RV space revenue.  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Absolom said:

Sinking into indifferent.  The ratings have overall been dropping as the season went along.

Camping at the local KOA is far, far from roughing it.  For a first trip, it's not a bad idea though.  I'm not sure they'll let you park an RV at the tent spaces.  They'll want that RV space revenue.  

Too bad. There are other things on TLC I would rather see go, like Smothered or that show with all the pregnant teens. One the mothers are awful and the other, I watch reality to enjoy or snark. Not enjoying or wanting to snark seeing children pregnant. And please I would rather see the Duggars gone!

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 8
21 hours ago, SongbirdHollow said:

I love camping but not in Florida in the summer!

One episode after he slammed the car door on his sister’s foot.  What could go wrong? 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Camping in Florida in the summer?  That would be a big N-O for me.   Of course, Florida, any time of the year, is a big N-O for me ...  ;~)

Agreed.  We have had two adult women attacked and killed by alligators in NC and SC recently.  I think FL would be even more dangerous.  And, I recently saw a video of a large alligator climbing over a very high fence in FL.

• Love 1

If your mom asks you to hand her the hatchet,  you hand her the hatchet.

If your mom asks you to get off the deck/pier bc of alligators, you do that.

Will did none of that. He doesn't listen to her, and that is just so not ok.  

Bill overhearing Zoey tell her ghost story:  she's a little dark.

Next line out of Zoey's mouth: and then they all died! LOL. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 18

Jen's explanation of how they use charcoal to soak up toxins and that it's binding rather than making you go more was priceless. Bill's face as he's listening to her irrefutable medical facts was hilarious.

Yeah, a KOA isn't exactly primitive camping. In a couple of shots you could see that they were basically right across the parking lot from the camp store. Also, the KOA's we've been to tend to be mobbed and the RV's are packed in fairly tightly. They typically have pools and wi-fi and game rooms. Mr. Kathira and I are into more primitive and woodsy tent camping, but since we had our son, we've done more KOA's because they're so kid-friendly.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Agreed.  We have had two adult women attacked and killed by alligators in NC and SC recently.  I think FL would be even more dangerous.  And, I recently saw a video of a large alligator climbing over a very high fence in FL.

This.  Also, even though it was a few years ago, I'll bet Jen remembers the poor little boy who was killed by an alligator at that Disney resort.  I know I do. 

4 minutes ago, Kathira said:

Jen's explanation of how they use charcoal to soak up toxins and that it's binding rather than making you go more was priceless. Bill's face as he's listening to her irrefutable medical facts was hilarious.

I laughed at that exchange, and then did my Jessie Pinkman imitation: "SCIENCE, bitch!".

• LOL 4
  • Love 11
52 minutes ago, Twopper said:

Thanks @woodscommaelle,  I finally remembered the name of the place.   It was Cypress Gardens.   I have seen ski teams at other places, but the ones at Cypress were my first love.

we used to go there too! 

8 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

I laughed at that exchange, and then did my Jessie Pinkman imitation: "SCIENCE, bitch!".

Me too! Bill's reaction was priceless. 

• Love 3

Will is what we used to call "hard-headed".  He doesn't listen, he doesn't care.  Giving this child an implement that can cut is ridiculous in my mind.  Even though Bill and his brothers got knives when they were about Will's age, nothing will convince me that they had the same temperament as Will.  Bill told him not to wave the hatchet.  What did Will do?  He waved the hatchet.  Jen told him there was a gator in the water and let's go.  What did Will do?  He acted like she never spoke.  She walked up to him and repeated the lets go thing.  He just kept standing there.  There are no consequences (unless they're not shown on TV) for their bad behavior.  They'll say, "I mean it, right now."  And the kids are like . . .whatever.  I just don't understand.

• Love 17
6 minutes ago, Evagirl said:

Will is what we used to call "hard-headed".  He doesn't listen, he doesn't care.  Giving this child an implement that can cut is ridiculous in my mind.  Even though Bill and his brothers got knives when they were about Will's age, nothing will convince me that they had the same temperament as Will.  Bill told him not to wave the hatchet.  What did Will do?  He waved the hatchet.  Jen told him there was a gator in the water and let's go.  What did Will do?  He acted like she never spoke.  She walked up to him and repeated the lets go thing.  He just kept standing there.  There are no consequences (unless they're not shown on TV) for their bad behavior.  They'll say, "I mean it, right now."  And the kids are like . . .whatever.  I just don't understand.

When they are bad they get only one new toy that day.

• LOL 9
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, Evagirl said:

Will is what we used to call "hard-headed".  He doesn't listen, he doesn't care. 

Is there a possibility that maybe a hearing problem with Will is involved??  I believe there were issues with his hearing when he was initially evaluated (unless I'm mis-remembering it)?

• Useful 2