Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E16: Fool's Gold

• Start Topic

34 minutes ago, Brooklynista said:

Fuck Paul for not protecting Karine and insisting they didn't show her in such a state of undress. He may not be able to speak Portuguese to the doctors but he sure as shit could have asked the camera crew to not wait behind a curtain.

I hear that, but at the same time, he seemed genuinely concerned for her and distressed by her pain.  I honestly don't think it probably occurred to him.  He's truly clueless.  

When I just told my husband (who watches occasionally) that Paul and Karine's baby's name is Pierre, my husband said, "Oh, so he's named after his father?"  LOL

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, readheaded said:

When I just told my husband (who watches occasionally) that Paul and Karine's baby's name is Pierre, my husband said, "Oh, so he's named after his father?"  LOL

Yea, seems like such a random name choice and will for sure keep people guessing his ethnicity. I guess they decided to go in the middle and choose a name from a  completely different background. What language will the kid speak ? The parents cant even communicate with each other 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Every time someone gripes about Karine's state of undress, I remember this:  

I’m a short person with virtually no lap, my first child weighed north of 9 lbs and had to be manually flipped over from a face down position twice during the delivery.  I couldn’t have my planned epidural because said baby was also not properly seated in the birth canal, and they determined I needed full alert strength to push him out.

All that to say this:  about 12 hours in, if someone had said “there’s an elevator repairman out here in the hall who says he can deliver that baby ...  but you have to do it with tiny towels covering the bewbies, no pain meds and  cameras rolling, I swear to god I would’ve said Let’s DO IT!!  SEND HIM IN!!! 

• LOL 11
  • Love 5

I just watched a few minutes of the More to Love episode, and it was a clip of Jihoon and Deavan traveling to the fish market. Deavan asked him how to say "I'm sorry" in Korean, and he told her how to say, "Who are you looking at?" or something like that. She was having trouble and he couldn't stop grinning, so she figured out he was lying. It was actually cute that she was trying to learn. It sounded like she had learned the few required phrases, like "please, thank you, and excuse me," and wanted to know "I'm sorry," too. 

On 9/15/2019 at 5:06 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

I don't think Sumit can be paid by TLC as he is not a US citizen.  Am I correct?

Not quite. In the original 90 Day Fiance the American is paid $1000 per episode because the immigrant cannot legally be paid until they get their Green Card.

That restriction does not apply to people being filmed in their own country, so the American and fiance are paid $500 each per episode. The Tell Nothings and other filmings are paid extra, as is Happily Ever After and when they renegotiate for another season.

Pole got in trouble with production when he posted on Facebook that Karine asked if she could be paid through Pole's bank account, because her bank was taking so many fees out, but they said no. He also confirmed the $500 per person for Before the 90 Days. Someone responded that it was the taxes and how they were being removed before the bank got the money, and then the bank had fees for the international transfers, too. Other cast members agreed it was the taxes stripping the funds, including - and you're never going to believe this - Jesse M. It was explained that Pole couldn't accept Karine's money because it would look like tax fraud, but many of us think they didn't want be accused of helping Pole control Karine. 

So, when they are in the US and have not yet received their Green Card, they cannot be paid and it is all paid the the American, but that doesn't apply when they are filming in their own countries and the Americans can be paid when filming in other countries because they are signing the contract in America and working as independent contractors as far as tax laws are concerned. 

• Useful 7
  • Love 4

I'm so behind!  I am just now watching this one!

Sumeat and Jennnnn-neigh-  what a wussy for waiting until her family leaves to tell her.  I honestly don't think Jenny knew at this point.  I hope Jen went over there to kick his ass.

Pol and Sluggy- Karine probably agreed to film the birth or Pol bullied her into agreeing.  If it were me, my cold heart would have told every doctor , nurse, and my mom that Pol is not to be admitted under any circumstance and you know mama Karine would have wrestled him to the ground and thrown him out the door.   that said, Pol acted more normal and decently than he's ever shown before until he had to open his mouth about the DNA test.  At least, he didn't say it to her in that moment.  Godspeed, little Piere; you have two idiots for parents, you are going to need all the help and luck you can get.

Deavan and Jujitzu- I didn't understand what he was saying at all?  He bought stolen cell phones to resell them?  He had someone stealing cell phones for him to resell them?????  Deavan looked really pretty in her THs where she was wearing the yellow dress.  I'd love for her to cut her hair.  His mom is so cute.

Laura and jiggy- Liam looked like a rude ass in this episode.  I mean I know he just met his mom's weirdo giggalo but Aladin was making an effort to be nice to him.  It's past time for judgements and hysteric rudeness- Laura is legally married to him and she is there and determined to see out her own bad choices.  It sucks, but let her .

• Love 5
On 9/12/2019 at 2:10 AM, Lily247 said:

Maybe this opinion is unpopular, but I think that Deavon DID give up a lot to move to S Korea. Despite not having much herself, she lived with her family and support system in a comfortable home. In SKorea, all she has is a language she cannot speak (and I don't imagine it will happen for a while), her in laws who are not enamored with her, a tiny cramped home, a husband who is useless ish ... has she thought about Drascillas future in S Korea ? Idk how it is over there, but she will stick out severely in a.classroom or plauground. At least in most major cities in the US we have a multicultural society, Idk how the attitudes there are towards foreigners, im assuming there are military families living on army bases but Drascilla would likely be integrated into Korean society. 

Drascilla will have a bad time. A friend of mine moved over to Korea with her daughter and she was ignored not only by the kids but by the teachers. Because she didn't speak Korean she was told she was stupid and nothing was done to get her up to speed. She didn't learn anything for two years and the mom had to finally move her over to International School so she could get an education. 

In Korea, parents have to pay after school tutors to get their kids up to speed. If they don't the kids are just ignored but they still go up a grade (failing doesn't really happen for various reasons). 

I've taught kids in the 8th grade who can't read English... and they've been taught English since 3rd grade. 

• Useful 1
23 hours ago, watchingtvaddict said:

Drascilla will have a bad time. A friend of mine moved over to Korea with her daughter and she was ignored not only by the kids but by the teachers. Because she didn't speak Korean she was told she was stupid and nothing was done to get her up to speed. She didn't learn anything for two years and the mom had to finally move her over to International School so she could get an education. 

In Korea, parents have to pay after school tutors to get their kids up to speed. If they don't the kids are just ignored but they still go up a grade (failing doesn't really happen for various reasons). 

I've taught kids in the 8th grade who can't read English... and they've been taught English since 3rd grade. 

I went to a French speaking school in 1st grade, my dad was in the Navy and we lived there. By the time that year was over, I spoke fluent French, my mom took me everywhere to interpret, like to the markets. It could actually work out better than you might think.

Drascilla is actually at a perfect age to learn a second language, IMO.

Edited by blubld43
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, blubld43 said:

I went to a French speaking school in 1st grade, my dad was in the Navy and we lived there. By the time that year was over, I spoke fluent French, my mom took me everywhere to interpret, like to the markets. It could actually work out better than you might think.

Dang, that is impressive! If the jack wagons on this show had half the intelligence you had in just first grade, they'd be much more tolerable. I have read that the younger they start, the more successful they will be in learning a second language. I took four years of Spanish in HS and I can pretty much only ask where the bathroom or shoe store is....sad, I know, lol. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Hannah94 said:

Dang, that is impressive! If the jack wagons on this show had half the intelligence you had in just first grade, they'd be much more tolerable. I have read that the younger they start, the more successful they will be in learning a second language. I took four years of Spanish in HS and I can pretty much only ask where the bathroom or shoe store is....sad, I know, lol. 

Years later someone explained to me that at age 4 or 5(I started at 5), the brain is perfectly poised to learn that way, something about brain waves.

Immersion is key. I've also taken years of Spanish and can barely get by if I have to!

Edited by blubld43
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, blubld43 said:

I don't doubt Drascilla will have conversational fluency in Korean if she is put in the school system... but the nature of Korean schools means (as a very visible) foreigner she will be treated differently and her academics will suffer (I'm speaking from experience, as I know quite a few young foreign children who live here). 

• Useful 5
37 minutes ago, watchingtvaddict said:

I don't doubt Drascilla will have conversational fluency in Korean if she is put in the school system... but the nature of Korean schools means (as a very visible) foreigner she will be treated differently and her academics will suffer (I'm speaking from experience, as I know quite a few young foreign children who live here). 

I'm sure! I just hope Deavan and Jihoon are paying attention, and get little Dracula some help.  It could be a really good thing.....or not. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, blubld43 said:

I'm sure! I just hope Deavan and Jihoon are paying attention, and get little Dracula some help.  It could be a really good thing.....or not. 

Jihoon is more concerned about his dog than whether or not Drascilla gets picked on in school. And since Deavan can barely communicate with him, chances are she’ll be at a loss dealing with Drascilla’s school. She won’t even be able to put the child in a private school, due to lack of money. 

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, iwasish said:

Jihoon is more concerned about his dog than whether or not Drascilla gets picked on in school. And since Deavan can barely communicate with him, chances are she’ll be at a loss dealing with Drascilla’s school. She won’t even be able to put the child in a private school, due to lack of money. 

I don't think Deavan has any idea what she's up against. She won't be able to do even the simplest of routine errands without speaking any Korean; how will she schedule a Dr's appointment? What if she has a question at the market?

I know S Korea is a modern country, likely with many English speaking people, but her day to day experience won't be among the sophisticated, business class. I think his parents speak a little, Jihoon barely. It's going to be lonely for her.

• Love 1
On 9/10/2019 at 5:45 PM, Gigglepuff said:

They're really popular in Europe too, it seems like they're gaining popularity in N. America as well especially since there's all kinds of options now, lol. Some of them have built in dryers, but even if it doesn't, you still don't use as much toilet paper. 

Are they ? I've lived in 3 different countries in Europe and never seen one..... however they were almost everywhere when I visited Japan and Taiwan (with many other options such as heated toilet seat)

I started binging the entire 90DF franchise a year into the COVID-19 pandemic, and I just watched this episode. All I want to say is that the scene with Jihoon demonstrating to Deavan how to use a bidet so toilet paper is unnecessary, and then explaining that his mom was wearing a mask because she had a cold and wanted to protect people around her, is a scene that has aged very well. That is all. Back to the binge.

• Love 1

Just saw Geoffrey of GEOFFREY & VANYA briefly (an understatement).  I was changing channels and as I passed HSN (and went back immediately), I saw part of a video advertising a Tony Little vibrating platform.  Geoffrey was one of the models "vibrating."

• LOL 1