Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E14: Oh, Future

Emmett gets unexpected news when he and Bay attend his father’s housewarming party. When she discovers Melody is considering an out-of-state move that would take Emmett with her, Bay encourages Emmett to strengthen his relationship with his father. But a visit with Emmett’s dad reveals news that may change their relationship altogether. Kathryn and John clash with Regina over funding Daphne’s college expenses, while Daphne interviews for a Latina college scholarship. Meanwhile, Mary Beth surprises Travis when she tracks down his hero, Super Bowl Champion Derrick Coleman, at a local restaurant.

This episode's art: Oh, future by Nicholas Roerich (1933).

The promo has Daphne wanting to change her last name to Kennish. The hell? Does that girl have any sense of loyalty to the mother that raised her, or does she just like lounging around the Kennish country club pool too much?

• Love 1

I can't believe Cameron would announce the pregnancy and get married at his housewarming, without talking to Emmett first and letting him know about these things.

Happy to see Travis and Mary Beth again.  Glad they didn't hook Daphne up with someone else right away.  Not sure how I feel about Katherine and that reporter getting chummy. Still missing Toby.

And yes I am skipping one of the big things here - Daphne and the college applications, scholarships, ethnicity, discrimination, etc but I need to stew a little more on those things.  

That was a great episode, returning to the shows roots and dealing with identity issues from the switch, and every plotline was about relationships. Then they go and ruin it with next week's DRAMATIC promo...

• Love 2

One of my biggest reasons for loving this show: As a life-long Kansas Citian, I finally understand how people feel when they see New York or Chicago on shows.

Alabama Al's = Oklahoma Joe's, one of the best BBQ places whose original location is still inside a gas station. 

Also, that was the most awkward second date ever. Gabe, you're super lucky that you're so cute.

• Love 1

I can't believe Cameron would announce the pregnancy and get married at his housewarming, without talking to Emmett first and letting him know about these things.

Cameron is consistently an impulsive guy who is more or less experiencing a mid life crisis. I hated how Debbie was all "Don't tell Emmett because Cameron wants to," Yes to everyone else at the same time too. Argh.

Must say I do like the focus on Emmett and Melody's relationship this season. I love the end title sequence. I don't know if this was the first or second time where it ended completely with an ASL conversation going on like that.

It is easier narratively when Bay and Emmett dating. Their relationship seems to connect some of the major families on the show. I liked Bay sharing about wanting to move during the switch and grabbing her things.

I liked the Daphne storyline this week. It's always more interesting when the girls are challenged on their identity. Daphne was more likable this week as a result. I thought Regina and her had some good moments. I do wish Regina would have more Mom moments with Bay though.

I do find the hashtags stupid though.

Where's Toby?

• Love 1

Damn, even though they temporarily messed up the Bay/Emmett relationship with that stupid cheating storyline, I still find myself rooting for them hardcore, and all of it goes to the actors who just really have that natural chemistry. So writers, please leave them be and do NOT bring up that job offer storyline ever again. Ok, thanks.

They've also made me grown to love Melody and now I consider her the best parent on the show. So, thanks for that again. I love her relationship with Emmett so, so much.

Regina, Kathryn and John continue to annoy me most of the time, but the college fund storyline did hit home for me. As a university student who has her parents paying for her tuition, thus not having any student debt, I unfortunately understand John and Kathryn's point of view, but I also understand Regina's. I do side with John and Kathryn, because any little bit helps and even if it's just paying for half is a really big deal. But wow, $64,000 a year? I live in Canada, mind you, but that seems high. I do get why Regina would be worried about Daphne somehow feeling self-entitled, even though I do know that she's raised better than that and would not think that way. I sometimes feel too entitled too and it's hindered me in a way, but Daphne's worked hard (kinda) for her age and she deserves someone to help her out with something as major as college.

Seriously, I feel like we rarely get Bay/Regina moments and I don't like it. We ALWAYS get Daphne/Kathryn/John moments to the point where it just annoys me now. This week it was actually good, but wait until a few episodes from now. So...bleh.

Travis/Mary Beth storyline was good but the one moment that bugged me to no end was the 'deaf' football player at the end, who clearly was not deaf. It was like the director and the actor didn't even try to pretend he was deaf. He seemed to not understand sign language and he had perfect speech, contrary to Travis' speech about the guy earlier. I mean, seriously? That actually took me out of their storyline. So unless I missed something, it seems they made a MAJOR mistake with that last scene.

Yeah, where's Toby? And should we care that someone (I'm pretty sure it's gonna be Angelo) is going to get shot/hurt in the next episode?

• Love 1

Travis/Mary Beth storyline was good but the one moment that bugged me to no end was the 'deaf' football player at the end, who clearly was not deaf. It was like the director and the actor didn't even try to pretend he was deaf. He seemed to not understand sign language and he had perfect speech, contrary to Travis' speech about the guy earlier. I mean, seriously? That actually took me out of their storyline. So unless I missed something, it seems they made a MAJOR mistake with that last scene.

jessied112, Derrick Coleman is an actual deaf football player with the Seahawks. He played in the Super Bowl this year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10372203/super-bowl-xlviii-deafness-deter-seattle-derrick-coleman

• Love 2
(edited)

I wanted to punch Regina and Emmett in the face this episode. Regina for turning down perfectly good money, and Emmett for acting like a 5 year old.

Entitlement certainly is a growing problem with today's youth. But to make Daphne take on hundreds of thousands of debt or take who knows how long slowly working her way through school when there's money just sitting there waiting for her. DUMB! I really can't even understand why Daphne was reluctant to talk to J&K about it in the first place. They've been shown to have a pretty open honest relationship.

Emmett, you are almost a grown ass man. Why are you pouting? Daddy made you mad? Grow the fuck up! Thank goodness he got over it quickly. Bay was awesome this episode (yes I'm ignoring her whole birdbrained scheme). Ebay Forever!

Melody & Gabe were awfully cute. As were Travis and Mary Beth. I really want to see Travis' mom reaction to his new life.

ETA: I could hear something in the athletes voice that told me he was deaf. But he didn't seem to understand signing at all, so it was very weird.

Edited by MyRealName
  • Love 2

I read something about Coleman before the super bowl, he has 80% hearing with his hearing aids, 20% without, he reads lips to make up for what he's missing, he never had a school program or the like to teach him sign language so he never learned much.

This was a good episode in that it dealt with two girls from very different backgrounds who were switched at birth, even Kathryn's book story line looped back around to being about the original book about the switch.

I'm not a big fan of Emmett/Bay as a couple, but the show feels less compartmentalized when they're together, so I'm willing to roll with it. I did find it funny that they got back together and Bay was instantly right back in the middle of his family drama and issues with his Dad that were causing all of their problems back when he originally cheated on her.

I'm not a big fan of Emmett/Bay as a couple, but the show feels less compartmentalized when they're together, so I'm willing to roll with it. I did find it funny that they got back together and Bay was instantly right back in the middle of his family drama and issues with his Dad that were causing all of their problems back when he originally cheated on her.

The writers don't know what to do with Emmett when he isn't with Bay. He is relegated to being the good ex-boyfriend. With Bay, they allow him a bit more drama. I feel better at this because Emmett has contentious relationship with his Dad who is a flake really. At least he got over this news with Bay's help in a day, last time he cheated and had a teenage melt down. So progress.

Seriously, I feel like we rarely get Bay/Regina moments and I don't like it. We ALWAYS get Daphne/Kathryn/John moments to the point where it just annoys me now.

I completely agree.  Why isn't Regina interested in teaching Bay about her Puerto Rican roots since that's so important to her with Daphne? 

• Love 2

I was very frustrated with the Regina/college story, but I'm reasonably satisfied with the resolution. She accepted within a few days that she was rejecting J&K's money out of insecurity, and encouraged Daphne to accept their offer. My biggest issue, which was hinted at but not really addressed, is that Daphne would be taking scholarship money away from students who need it all because of Regina's pride. I can respect her trying for Deaf scholarships, she's extraordinary enough within that community and she is looking at Med School, even the rich Kennish family may bat an eye at all those years of Ivy League education (because the only way that Daphne isn't going to an Ivy League school is if the show continues, and they keep her local). But applying for any scholarship when there is money next door seems sad for all the kids who need those scholarships. 

Overall I really liked this episode. The characters acted in ways that explored the meaning of family and identity, what this show originally promised to be. 

• Love 2

I wonder if Regina, Angelo, John and Kathryn will decide that both Daphne and Bay should work to pay for part of their college expenses like extra food that they want outside of the dining halls, recreational activities etc. to keep both of them a little humble. That way they both benefit from John's ability to pay for their college and also learn that if they want to do anything other than the basics at college they have to use their own money for it.

When Daphne mentioned the SAT's I laughed because students take them their junior year and Daphne and Bay are seniors. I wish writers would Google this stuff if they can't remember from their own past. Really there is no excuse for these kinds of mistakes.

This episode made me so happy because we got back to the core of what made the show so special. I really hope they keep Daphne single so she can focus on her job at the clinic. Also, I was glad to see Sharee back on the show. I want to see more of her, Natalie, Mary Beth, and Travis because they are all interesting characters.

I really liked this episode. Felt low-key, not rushed, no Angelo, no Regina’s douchey boss, just normal things.

We got a whole 10 minutes of non-pouty, non-angry, non-emo Emmett at the start of the episode! Obviously didn’t last long. And did I actually see a #PoorEmmett hashtag on the screen?

Travis and Mary Beth continue to be cute. Somehow they ended up as one of my favorite couples on this show. Actually Gabe and Melody aren’t too bad. Surprisingly so, since one half of that couple is Melody.

Best unintentionally absurd comedic moment: a random voice at the wedding yelling at the bride, “Yeah tell us why you’re not drinking!”.

But to make Daphne take on hundreds of thousands of debt or take who knows how long slowly working her way through school when there's money just sitting there waiting for her. DUMB!

I agree. There is no need to financially burden yourself with non-dischargeable loans for the rest of your life for no good reason. Regina is too proud for her own good sometimes; at least she came around. Having one's education be paid for doesn't automatically make you into an entitled brat. Not being grateful and not realizing what a huge gift that is does.

• Love 2

Did I miss the part where they said the baby was a boy?  All of a sudden it's all "Emmett's baby brother", and I was confused.  While I know it's very possible to know the sex at 4 months, it's still not that common, so it seemed out of nowhere.

I'm surprised Emmett came around to it all so fast really.  The adjustment of a step-mom and impending new sibling aside, he has every right to be angry at his dad for springing it on him like that - in public, at the same time as everyone else finds out.  Utterly disrespectful.

• Love 2

Bay did a great job in calming Emmett, and helping him see things from a different perspective, that of adding to a family rather than losing your family.  However, it would have had more impact, for me, if Bay really had two families now, like Daphne does.  Frankly, I barely consider Regina and Angelo as Bay's family since they hardly ever do anything with her, not even talk.

• Love 3

I'm surprised Emmett came around to it all so fast really.  The adjustment of a step-mom and impending new sibling aside, he has every right to be angry at his dad for springing it on him like that - in public, at the same time as everyone else finds out.  Utterly disrespectful.

Carrie Raiser who reviews the show for AV Club shared a similar experience. Cameron is a tool, but it's not surprising given what we've seen of him. I think he means well, but he's living in this amazing dream life (hearing aid, new lady, baby on the way). Emmett made the point to say that his dad had been avoiding him a lot lately and he knows his Dad. With Bay and Melody, he decided to move past it. He had every right to be upset, but I think he knows being angry at his Dad doesn't do anyone favours. The story really did end up being one about Emmett and the two ladies in his life who support him through this.

Also, I missed the little brother mention too. Maybe Cameron is hoping for another boy.

I thought Regina's issues with J&K about the education were dumb and it was resolved well in the end. I don't begrudge her feeling a bit defensive. It's a unique situation for them. When Regina told Daphne, "I'll always worry about money," She reminded me a lot about my own mother. Though my own mother would have just taken the cash for my college tuition if it was offered. Hehe.

When Regina and J&K where going back and forth about the college tuition all I could think was that there was a pretty easy compromise to the whole thing.  My parents made me take out loans and as long as my grades where good enough etc they paid off my loans for me.  So if I didn't put in enough effort, just tried to coast through etc, I would be on the hook for all that money.  They also could have made the tuition continent on her working part time or something, it didn't have to be all our nothing.  

I also though Cameron was a pretty big jerk for not telling Emmett in private before everything happened.  He was apologizing to Melody saying he didn't now she was coming, didn't want her to feel ambushed, but didn't think that Emmett might feel ambushed, especially considering their relationship since the divorce?  At least Cameron seems to be sticking true to who they've presented him to be.  

I think the "baby brother" thing might have been coming from the fact that there were different colors of blue paint on the walls, like they were trying to decide which one, and then maybe we were supposed to infer from that, that it was told to Emmett, Melody etc off screen at some point.  But who knows.  

• Love 1

My parents made me take out loans and as long as my grades where good enough etc they paid off my loans for me.  So if I didn't put in enough effort, just tried to coast through etc, I would be on the hook for all that money.

Wouldn't you/they end up losing quite a bit of money in interest rates?

I thought they resolved the Regina conflict well in the "all or nothing" sense. Daphne taking out loans for no good reason would have smacked of the "noble poor person" cliche. People struggle enough in life without adding additional hardships that could be avoided. That's my two cents on it anyway.

• Love 1

When Daphne mentioned the SAT's I laughed because students take them their junior year and Daphne and Bay are seniors. I wish writers would Google this stuff if they can't remember from their own past. Really there is no excuse for these kinds of mistakes.

Not to mention that very few Midwestern schools require the SATs. If Daphne is planning on staying in the Midwest, she would be taking the ACT.

Re: Cameron springing a wedding and baby on Emmett. While I never had a pregnancy sprung on me (still the baby!) my dad remarried twice after he and my mom split, when I was three and when I was seven, and both times it was all like "hey, that nice lady you met a couple of weeks ago? Yeah, we got married and we're going to go live with her now!" Um, okay. He could have made sure they didn't suck, but I guess you'd have to be pretty screwed up to think that's okay. I think I kind of hate Debbie or whatever her name is, based on that. Cameron is clueless and a demonstrated tool, but her lack of regard for his son's place in his life is crappy. I wonder if that'll get explored. Otherwise, I'm getting annoyed that the SaB writers seem to think "Emmett gets totally screwed over but is kind of a doormat about it" is valid character development.

Loved Mary Beth and Travis! Feel totally guilty that when Melody's skype caller mentioned her 2 boys I sat there for at least a full minute thinking "2 sons?" But later I wondered: how could she take Travis to live in a different state? Is he 18? Or does she have a guardianship agreement? And then I wondered if it was okay that a school employe took in a student in the first place and oh god I need a hobby.

• Love 1
Emmett, you are almost a grown ass man. Why are you pouting? Daddy made you mad? Grow the fuck up!

I would say getting a new step-mother and half-sibling all at once would be a lot to take in for anyone. And oh man, the way he got the news, it's like he's not important enough to his father to rate a private conversation before the public announcement. Like he's just one of the extras at the party and not really part of his father's family. I felt so bad for him.

I really liked this episode. Daphne's plot was the best, with Emmett's a close second. This show is much better when it focuses on the teens and their complex issues (the switch, identity, race, tough relationships with parents, etc) than when it focuses too much on the adults. 

When is Toby coming back?

Wouldn't you/they end up losing quite a bit of money in interest rates?

That's a good point I didn't think of.  In my case it wasn't really relevant since my parents couldn't afford to pay for my school outright, but J&K clearly felt they could, so I guess that wouldn't make sense in their case.  I do think they could have talked about some kind of contingency etc on getting schooling paid for though instead of it just being all or nothing.

I also agree with wanting Toby back.  And also Wilke.  

(edited)

I also agree with wanting Toby back.  And also Wilke.  

Yes, Wilke. The Carrie Diaries was cancelled so he might be available. They need to get him back, even if it's just for a three-episode guest arc. If nothing else, I love his name sign and want to see it more often.

Edited by NoNeinNyet

"Regina, Kathryn and John continue to annoy me most of the time, but the college fund storyline did hit home for me. As a university student who has her parents paying for her tuition, thus not having any student debt, I unfortunately understand John and Kathryn's point of view, but I also understand Regina's. I do side with John and Kathryn, because any little bit helps and even if it's just paying for half is a really big deal. But wow, $64,000 a year? I live in Canada, mind you, but that seems high. I do get why Regina would be worried about Daphne somehow feeling self-entitled, even though I do know that she's raised better than that and would not think that way. I sometimes feel too entitled too and it's hindered me in a way, but Daphne's worked hard (kinda) for her age and she deserves someone to help her out with something as major as college."

I'm sorry, I can't get quotes to work from the mobile site. Anyway, I wanted to mention that while not necessarily the norm, the $64k/year price tag is a reality at some schools in the US, especially some private, selective colleges. However, as the parent of soon to be college freshman, I can tell you that a student of Daphne's supposed caliber would get scholarships that pay for much of that cost, both from the university and from private scholarships like we saw her interviewing for. At first I thought that she'd also qualify for decent financial aid, but since Regina and Angelo are married and Angelo has that settlement, probably not.

But, she has a lot of good undergrad options that are less than half the cost of a private school right in her backyard. UMKC, Mizzou, and KU are state universities that all have decent pre med tracks. Rockhurst is a private school in KC where she'd get good scholarships. I'd think she'd consider those before the $64k schools, and for the show's sake, I'm guessing she'll end up at UMKC anyway.

(edited)

aunt jen Travis is 18- he left his parents house and was living in the car wash when Melody took him in, so yes he can move with her if he desired.

Regarding the college tuition I am very much on Kathryn and John's side. Parents have a duty to provide for their children and in my family education was a right- far more than a car or a vacation. My parents paid for my school out right and of course there were obligations on my end (ala staying on the Dean's list etc). Why saddle Daphne with 100s of thousands of dollars in debt if she doesn't have to- since John and Kathryn HAVE the money? It's for SCHOOL not entertainment. If they were struggling that would be a different case but I was raised that providing your children with a quality education is a part of being a parent (assuming that you have the money on hand), which may be elitist but my parents were like J&K.

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 2

Kansas City check-in of the week:  Alabama Al's is surely a play-off of Oklahoma Joe's.  If you come to KC, eat there.  It's delicious.  And in a gas station.  But do not order "Atomic Chicken Wings."  1) Because they do not exist and 2) Because you want burnt ends or the Z-Man - brisket, provolone & an onion ring on a bun.

I loved the Travis stuff this week.  I would love to see more of him and Mary-Beth as well as more of her and Bay.  Now that they're both coupled up with roommates/brothers (I loved when the woman said that she had room in the charter school for BOTH of Melody's kids), can't we get some double-date/girl bonding time?

• Love 1

This episode reminded me of why I tend to give Travis the side eye.

"My brother tried to get me football tickets but failed, now I'm going to have to violently assault him later." "You know what my Mom said?!"

"NO I DON'T LIKE TO TALK ABOUT MY FAMILY, WHAT ABOUT ME TALKING ABOUT MY FAMILY WOULD MAKE YOU THINK THAT I'D WANT TO TALK ABOUT MY FAMILY!? I NEVER ASK YOU ABOUT YOUR DUMB DEAD BROTHER!!!"

• Love 2

But, she has a lot of good undergrad options that are less than half the cost of a private school right in her backyard. UMKC, Mizzou, and KU are state universities that all have decent pre med tracks. Rockhurst is a private school in KC where she'd get good scholarships. I'd think she'd consider those before the $64k schools, and for the show's sake, I'm guessing she'll end up at UMKC anyway.

Definitely. Most of my high school friends who wanted to be doctors ended up doing undergrad at MU or UMKC. I had one friend who went to KU for med, but since I was on the Missouri side, that was a bit more rare. 

And oh man, the way he got the news, it's like he's not important enough to his father to rate a private conversation before the public announcement. Like he's just one of the extras at the party and not really part of his father's family.

This is a good point and something I hadn't really considered...but I still can't get behind having to tell a 17-18 year old that daddy has room in his heart for both you and the new baby.

Earlier in the episode, Emmett told Bay that Cameron frequently blew off their weekends together, so Emmett didn't think it would be a problem for him to blow off the housewarming party. Cameron not telling Emmett he planned to marry and was expecting another child is part of a pattern of Cameron not considering or showing any interest in their relationship whatsoever. I think Emmett felt like: If you don't want to be a father, it hurts but is not personal. If you do want to be a father, but just not to me, that's a whole other level of rejection....

• Love 5

Scarlett45, I agree with you. Yeah, 65K is a lot to saddle up per year but J and K can afford it, and not having your kids worry about debt after college is huge. I went to state colleges for both my undergrad and medical school so my parents could afford to pay for it (I still had a job and paid for expenses, rent, etc in college) and I am forever grateful that I didn't have to worry about the hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt that my friends have to. It got me to save up to buy a house, college funds for my kids, etc. If they have the money why not use it? I can understand if it was a family that didn't have much money and paying for college would make the parents have to work more, take out from their retirement fund, etc. But it's not! I don't think my parents would be able to afford a private school tuition for me like J and K can.

Love Travis. More of him and Mary Beth and I'm a happy girl!

It speaks volumes that when Angelo got that huge settlement, he never put aside money for Daphne or her education. It doesn't even seem to have occurred to him that might be a good idea, and that moreover, no one even mentioned him in passing, when the subject of college funding came up. He may be learning a few signs, but no one on the show considers him a parent, not really.

• Love 1

I guess they all know Angelo is not loaded anymore? I can totally understand Daphne not wanting to go to Angelo for money either way. To her it would feel like asking an uncle you barely know for a college fund. This is a girl who didn't even feel comfortable asking her bio parents, who have always been happy to provide for her, for some college money.

I still can't get behind having to tell a 17-18 year old that daddy has room in his heart for both you and the new baby.

You would be right if we were talking about a teenager who grew up feeling secure in the knowledge that his father wants to be in his life. If Emmett's dad has been more stable all along instead of such a flake, Emmett wouldn't question his place in his father's heart so much in the first place.

Add to that, this isn't just a new baby sibling, his father is starting a whole new family, seemingly without wanting him in the picture. I can't blame him for feeling hurt by that.

It also adds a whole other layer that his father's new wife is hearing and they might have a hearing kid. His father got a Cochlear implant to fit more into the hearing world. Probably adds to Emmett feeling like he doesn't fit into this and he's just a mistake his father never wanted. It's also another reason Bay's the best person to talk him down.

Cameron not telling Emmett he planned to marry and was expecting another child is part of a pattern of Cameron not considering or showing any interest in their relationship whatsoever. I think Emmett felt like: If you don't want to be a father, it hurts but is not personal. If you do want to be a father, but just not to me, that's a whole other level of rejection….

Yes, that is an excellent way to put it.

• Love 1
(edited)

I concur. I felt bad for Emmett because he's been show to have daddy issues since Season 1 and Cameron has made it worse after the divorce. Then again, the show hasn't given us a lot to go on except for one or two Cameron/Emmett scenes back in Season 2.

First his parents separate, then he moves in with a father who leaves him to his own devices that he turns to the bottle and skips classes. Said father then moves into another quick relationship and gets a cochlear, which adds to Emmett's insecurites on where he fits in. He's made it fairly clear that he doesn't make Emmett that much of a priority, at least that is how Emmett is interpreting it. It was rude of him to not say anything so I don't blame Emmett for not caring and wanting to leave.  Who has a shotgun wedding at a housewarming party? I would not have supported such a thing either especially with his ex-wife there. Melody took it pretty well in my opinion. I do hope she'll give Gabe a chance!

And I did love the mother/son moment at the end where Emmett was debating with Melody in sign language about which toys to give away.

I actually forgot the show was on Monday and had to watch it the next day, which is telling of how drawn out/boring the show has gotten. Hopefully it will pick up some momentum when Toby comes back.

Edited by Eri

On rewatch, I found that Emmett actually took the wedding part sort of in stride. His face was like "meh." and "WTF?" (and those are totally legitimate feelings, hee) but he stuck around and clapped politely and wanted to pay attention to his father's wedding toast.

Then he looked a little more perturbed when his father went on about how he made mistakes with Melody and he'll do better next time. Then the baby announcement was the last straw. So with all those things combined in a short time, no wonder he blew up a little. After that he worried that he ruined his dad's wedding (Bay had to reassure him that he didn't), so he's still a pretty good kid.

I guess his dad did care somewhat since it seemed important to him for Emmett to be there. But his dad could have done a little better. Telling him ahead of time would have been a huge improvement, definitely - look how Emmett almost missed his father's wedding because he didn't know it was a wedding! Plus it wouldn't have taken that much longer for his dad to add a line or two to his toast. Something like how his son was the best thing to come out of his first marriage and he and his new wife want him to be part of their new family, too. How hard would that be?

It's actually kind of hilarious that Cameron's wedding toast has so much focus on his ex-wife and basically nothing about new bride Debbie.

But I still like that it was written this way, because it led to the super-cute scene with Bay comforting Emmett and him appreciating her for it. I think I might have went "aww..." out loud when he signed that seeing her and being with her is the best part of every day.

And when he gathered up his toys for his little brother it reminded me of Toy Story.

• Love 1

On rewatch, I found that Emmett actually took the wedding part sort of in stride. His face was like "meh." and "WTF?" (and those are totally legitimate feelings, hee) but he stuck around and clapped politely and wanted to pay attention to his father's wedding toast.

I'm glad you mentioned this, because I was surprised he willingly clapped compared to "clapping" in sign language. Perhaps this was his way of showing "acceptance" of Cameron's marriage and new life with a hearing (hard of hearing/Cochlear implanted?) woman who communicates orally, something Emmett doesn't do. This could add to his insecurities of no longer having a common interest with his father, who is acclimating himself more to the hearing world.

.but I still can't get behind having to tell a 17-18 year old that daddy has room in his heart for both you and the new baby.

I totally can. My parents had a surprise baby when I was almost 21 and hadn't really lived at home for a long time, and I still felt left out. I knew it was irrational and stupid, but it still hurt on an emotional level I wasn't prepared for. Took years to get over feeling so displaced. That said, I agree with everyone who said that it was the topping after several events in a row - housebuying, wedding, that comment about being a mistake (even though he misinterpreted, Cameron worded it horribly), then the baby. 

I was surprised he willingly clapped compared to "clapping" in sign language. Perhaps this was his way of showing "acceptance" of Cameron's marriage and new life with a hearing (hard of hearing/Cochlear implanted?) woman who communicates orally, something Emmett doesn't do.

Interesting - I read it as the opposite, that he was clapping because he wouldn't go so far as to clap in his preferred method, that he was kind of shutting his dad out of his world. I do like your interpretation better, but I'm not sure how much he was on board. 

Speaking of the baby thing, I couldn't get over that little talk between Bay and Cameron's wife - "Oh, you discovered our little secret". Yes, you were hiding it so well, having a room that was already half-decorated as a nursery with the door open right next to the bathroom at your HOUSEWARMING PARTY where people might be expected to want to LOOK AROUND THE HOUSE. Sheesh.

I love Travis and Marybeth and want to see them all the time plz thx. 

I wasn't sure if the brother Travis was talking about was his real brother or Emmett - it was kind of unclear.

Also we need Toby back now stat.

I guess they all know Angelo is not loaded anymore? I can totally understand Daphne not wanting to go to Angelo for money either way. To her it would feel like asking an uncle you barely know for a college fund. This is a girl who didn't even feel comfortable asking her bio parents, who have always been happy to provide for her, for some college money.

Daphne did accept the food truck Angelo bought for her, so maybe she would have taken college money if he'd had it and offered.  He should have put the money for a food truck into a college fund for her.

Did they end up selling the food truck?  I can't remember.

I think all three parents did agree to sell the food truck. Kathryn and Regina raised a stink about John selling it without telling them and then give their consent after he already bought it back.

My assumption on the SAT was that Daphne would have taken the ACT last year, but when she started looking at top-tier schools, she was looking at schools like Johns Hopkins, where they definitely prefer not only the SAT, but require SAT-II scores as well. Similarly, Sharee is hoping for athletic scholarship money for field hockey-which, to get a team that's not intramural, is going to likely be an East Coast school as well.

I'm also thinking that since Daphne has always been expecting to go to Gallaudet, she may not even think about applying to KU or Mizzou.

Did I miss the part where they said the baby was a boy? All of a sudden it's all "Emmett's baby brother", and I was confused. While I know it's very possible to know the sex at 4 months, it's still not that common, so it seemed out of nowhere.

I'm surprised Emmett came around to it all so fast really. The adjustment of a step-mom and impending new sibling aside, he has every right to be angry at his dad for springing it on him like that - in public, at the same time as everyone else finds out. Utterly disrespectful.

When Bay finds the nursery it is already being painted blue and when she talks to Debbie, she says she is 4 months along. It's actually very common to know the sex at 4 months. Hence why they are referring to the baby as a boy.