Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Miranda & Cameryn

Damn. Remember Dee Pimpin'? The lesbian who had been catfishing the chick and sending her love interest thousands of dollars? She was convinced she could turn the heterosexual woman into a lesbian if only she tried hard enough? We all thought she was batshit crazy,

Well apparently you can turn someone at least Bi-curious. Miranda went from dating a straight male guy to a not quite decided black woman?? I didn't see that coming at all.

My jaw actually dropped when Gabby appeared on the computer screen. I guess I should expect this kind of thing to happen now, but it was still really shocking. And then after being lied to and stood up twice, Miranda ended up sort of dating her anyway? I understand being forgiving, but I think it's sort of messed-up to engage in romance with somebody who humiliated you and made you feel like an idiot for so long.

This whole episode was really surreal.

• Love 2

My jaw actually dropped when Gabby appeared on the computer screen. I guess I should expect this kind of thing to happen now, but it was still really shocking. And then after being lied to and stood up twice, Miranda ended up sort of dating her anyway? I understand being forgiving, but I think it's sort of messed-up to engage in romance with somebody who humiliated you and made you feel like an idiot for so long.

This whole episode was really surreal.

I think Gabby has a strong emotional hold over Miranda, who appeared rather needy in my opinion. Perhaps, attaching what she felt for the TWO, not one but TWO guys Gabby pretended to be onto Gabby. Still, I'd think she'd be wary about getting involved with Gabby on a plutonic level, let alone a romantic one after all the lying Gabby did. She used cancer, catfished her twice and Miranda is still willing to not only stay in contact with her but to continue a relationship.

(edited)

So when they got the text that the person's family "wouldn't allow" the meeting, I was pulling hard for an older married man/woman plot. Alas, it's not meant to be.

I found this one more underwhelming than usual. The Skype call just wasn't interesting. Half the fun is going to the catfish's home and getting a real reveal, with body language and awkward introductions and long therapy sessions and creepy situations and all. This was just kind of lame. Nothing actually happened.

Edited by Universalhunter
  • Love 1

Well that sure went in a different direction. I really thought it was going to be the Asian guy, so when it turned out to be a black woman, I was stunned. Miranda needs to expand her romantic interests, first she falls for a fake guy, when he confesses to being someone else, she then falls for guy #2, & when she finds out that he is really a she, she falls for her? How does she not understand that no matter what sex/race this person is, they lie. Over & over again they lie. Miranda needs to stop being so needy & find someone who is a real person.

• Love 2

Miranda needs to expand her romantic interests, first she falls for a fake guy, when he confesses to being someone else, she then falls for guy #2, & when she finds out that he is really a she, she falls for her? How does she not understand that no matter what sex/race this person is, they lie. Over & over again they lie.

I agree, but I also noticed that she seemed so, so embarrassed at what her friends were going to say about the reveal - it was like it was her only issue. She mentioned it A LOT, and also implied that she had falling-outs with friends over "James." So part of me thinks that her interest or continued relationship with Gabby is - in a twisted sense - a way to say that it kinda worked out after all. Kind of showing the nay-sayers that they were wrong.

• Love 2

I agree, but I also noticed that she seemed so, so embarrassed at what her friends were going to say about the reveal - it was like it was her only issue. She mentioned it A LOT, and also implied that she had falling-outs with friends over "James." So part of me thinks that her interest or continued relationship with Gabby is - in a twisted sense - a way to say that it kinda worked out after all. Kind of showing the nay-sayers that they were wrong.

That's even sadder, she's going to become a lesbian/bisexual just to prove her friends wrong? Yikes.

• Love 1

That's even sadder, she's going to become a lesbian/bisexual just to prove her friends wrong? Yikes.

I know, I know - it's a weird theory. But she was so embarrassed by what her friends were going to say. And why does she suddenly think that she could be gay? It's happened with other catfish victims before, and while some have been really understanding and continued the relationship as friends, none have said: well why don't I try being gay? Either that or she's just really, really needy, and this gal loves her, so....

• Love 1

They pretty much blew the surprise in the opening, when they showed a glimpse of the park scene. They show the part where Miranda says "SHE texted me" and even captioned it. I didn't expect the part where the catfishee and Nev and Max never meet the catfish face to face though. So many questions! Most of all, who was on the phone? A relative? Her disguising her voice? The person Nev spoke to sounded completely male and completely different from Gabby.

Also, I felt bad for Miranda, but talk about gullible. I love how she believed the the person cat fishing her with pictures of a hot guy was really just another hot guy.

• Love 2
(edited)

Now I'm sorry I fast forwarded through the end call. They're dating?

She said that they are talking on the phone and " flirting." They are planning a visit soon.

Edited by Katjoy26

Miranda is plain STUPID.  How can she trust someone who has lied to her so many times.

I know. She sort of claimed at the end that she and Gabby knew so much about each other. No Miranda, Gabby knows a lot about you, but how do you know she is telling the truth about anything she has said as James. I could not believe she bought that Hot Guy #1 was really Hot Guy #2. Seriously? I wonder why she spends so much time in these online/text/phone relationships, when she could probably find someone nearby or something.

(edited)

On the plus side:  Nice shoutout to SOMEONE figuring out how to search Google stuff before enlisting Nev/Max.  Although the whole red herring of the incarcerated guy bugged.  (Inmates can't call you at random - and they are announced by robo-voice before you can speak to them - it's not something that would have flown under anyone's radar - even Miranda's.)

Miranda was 'into' fashion - yet can anyone explain the weird ribbon headband thing?

Given that the two are apparently in some kind of relationship at this point, I'm gonna go with Miranda being a combo of hyper-needy and deep denial to admit how hard she was fooled.  No WAY could I possibly consider a relationship with someone so completely untrustworthy - and has repeatedly demonstrated they are comfortable with lying!!!  Guh!!!

_______

And did they EVER explain why the phone number came back to the possibly asian person?  Felt like that was just kinda left hanging out there with no resolution at all. 

Edited by BeatrixK
  • Love 1

I think Gabby has a strong emotional hold over Miranda, who appeared rather needy in my opinion. Perhaps, attaching what she felt for the TWO, not one but TWO guys Gabby pretended to be onto Gabby. Still, I'd think she'd be wary about getting involved with Gabby on a plutonic level, let alone a romantic one after all the lying Gabby did. She used cancer, catfished her twice and Miranda is still willing to not only stay in contact with her but to continue a relationship.

Yeah - at first I was like "well that was odd, but I hope those crazy kids make it!"  and then I realize that Gabby had just pretty much taken advantage of someone who was emotionally vulnerable and thats most likely why Miranda was entertaining the idea of a relationship at all.  And thats just sort of ugly, it makes me hope that Gabby doesn't end up going to visit her, and that Miranda just meets a nice guy who doesn't emotionally manipulate her.  

• Love 1

Yeah - at first I was like "well that was odd, but I hope those crazy kids make it!"  and then I realize that Gabby had just pretty much taken advantage of someone who was emotionally vulnerable and thats most likely why Miranda was entertaining the idea of a relationship at all.  And thats just sort of ugly, it makes me hope that Gabby doesn't end up going to visit her, and that Miranda just meets a nice guy who doesn't emotionally manipulate her.  

I generally don't find 'happy' catfish endings entertaining. This entire situation was just ugly as you said and sad. They end up together, and I guess that's suppose to be an upbeat if odd ending to their story. I find it creepy though. Basing feelings and the desire to continue a relationship with someone who lied about EVERYTHING. I can't imagine how that works. Stranger things have happened though. I'm hoping that Miranda will figure it out before Gabby visits. I don't think Gabby will stop catfishing either. Especially, when she got the girl in the end.

• Love 1

Although the whole red herring of the incarcerated guy bugged.  (Inmates can't call you at random - and they are announced by robo-voice before you can speak to them - it's not something that would have flown under anyone's radar - even Miranda's.)

When they were doing their poking around, the guys discarded the possibility, mentioning that first issue. Nev sounded like he thought it was dumb to even mention the guy to Miranda, but I'm sure he was ordered to by the Producer.

I generally don't find 'happy' catfish endings entertaining. This entire situation was just ugly as you said and sad. They end up together, and I guess that's suppose to be an upbeat if odd ending to their story. I find it creepy though. Basing feelings and the desire to continue a relationship with someone who lied about EVERYTHING. I can't imagine how that works. Stranger things have happened though. I'm hoping that Miranda will figure it out before Gabby visits. I don't think Gabby will stop catfishing either. Especially, when she got the girl in the end.

LOL - I hate to admit it, but I generally feel the same way.  The more I thought it through, the more creepy it became.  Sadly for Miranda I think she lives in one of those small towns with 10 people her age.  Take away her sister and her best friend and now you have 8 people her age.  She should seriously move to a bigger city, maybe not New York or California, but maybe Minneapolis or something so she can be near her mom.  Right now Gabby probably seems like her ONLY option, but if she got into a bigger city with more options she could probably see that there are people out there with more to offer.

• Love 1

What a strange episode.  After lying repeatedly to Miranda, she ends up forgiving her, snap chating, and flirting?  Miranda seemed very lonely and just kinda clinged onto Gabby to have someone?  I dunno.  I will never understand how these people have years long relationships without seeing/meeting the other person.

The timing on airing this episode is coincidental to a Switched at Birth episode in which a long term story arc was resolved by revealing that the guy who catfished another guy (posing as a girl) was actually motivated by the catfisher's terror of coming out. On SAB, the guy further humiliated the catfishee by leafleting their high school with copies of their romantic messages, and threatening to publish a "revealing" photo as well.

Weirdly, the consensus of everyone around seemed to be that the poor guy should be given a pass on his horrible behavior, out of sympathy for his difficulty coming out, and that it would be far more damaging and in fact permanently scarring, to push the guy to deal with his behavior and his feelings before he was ready to do so.

So the catfishee forgave him and let the whole thing go. Since they knew each other and went to the same school, this means they'd be seeing each other a lot, and it's way different than someone "letting it go" and moving on with their life when they actually live thousands of miles away and aren't going to have any on-going relationship once they stop participating in the ruse.

I'm a lesbian. I know it's hard for some people to come out and the world is bad to queer teens. What I don't get is why a person in that position would actively flirt or pursue a romantic relationship with someone of the same gender (if they're not willing to come out) and think it was going to work out (if that person is straight) and that they would somehow be able to not ever come out. I wouldn't want or find satisfying a relationship that stayed forever in the cloud. At some point you have to meet.

And maybe it's because I live in liberal Massachusetts and not in Kansas City (where SAB is set) or Georgia (where Gabby lives), but in this day and age, I really don't think it's so hard to find LGBT friendly dating sites or organizations to shore up your confidence and help with the coming out process. So the absolute terror to the point of delusion is just confusing to me. Who would want to be with someone who lies to them? And who they never meet? What is the point?

But that seemed to be what Miranda was saying-- that Gabby lied about herself out of fear, and supposedly everything else was genuine, and Miranda understands the fear, so can forgive it.

I did like Nev and Max saying "this person has problems bigger than ours" as a reason for Gabby standing them up in the end.

• Love 1

Did they ever say how they intially "met" online? OKCupid? Facebook? Did Gabby create the Cameryn (ugh) profile before "meeting" Miranda? These are the questions that are really important, Nev and Max!!

• Love 1
(edited)

Who would want to be with someone who lies to them? And who they never meet? What is the point?

A lonely and foolish person. I don't know what Miranda's sexuality is but I assumed she's straight. If that's the case, then trying to be with someone because you're emotionally dependent on them, doesn't translate into a physical attraction. It's too bad, Gabby kept yanking everyone's chain. I would've been interested to see them actually meeting face to face. Not only to see how awkward it would've been, but also to see Miranda's illusions completely destroyed and faced with the reality of the situation and the person standing across from her. 

No after show either. Makes me wonder if these two ever met and if they are still talking to each other. 

Edited by jonesingjay

Also, I felt bad for Miranda, but talk about gullible. I love how she believed the the person cat fishing her with pictures of a hot guy was really just another hot guy.

This stood out to me, too. And then Nev asked: "Is he cute?" He never does that. I know the producers suss things out beforehand, but I thought they leave Nev and Max in the dark. So that seemed kinda fishy.

Loneliness can take you to a lot of places. My own widowed mom hooked up quite quickly with a windower. In their old lives I think they would have hated each other. Now they're together 6 years.

Less easy to understand with this young vibrant girl, though. But add some self esteem issues, and the habit of talking to someone intimately, and there ya go.

• Love 1

I wonder if Miranda would have been so forgiving had Gabby come clean when she was first busted as a catfish (as the "Cameryn" persona). Another poster issued a theory that one of the major reasons why Miranda was sort of dating Gabby was because she was terrified of what her friends would think, and wanted to prove that not everything ended as poorly as it did. Plus, I think the fact that Gabby continued to lead her on as "James" meant that Miranda was emotionally invested in the relationship and couldn't or didn't want to stop when she found out "James'" real identity.

• Love 1

I wonder if Miranda would have been so forgiving had Gabby come clean when she was first busted as a catfish (as the "Cameryn" persona). Another poster issued a theory that one of the major reasons why Miranda was sort of dating Gabby was because she was terrified of what her friends would think, and wanted to prove that not everything ended as poorly as it did. Plus, I think the fact that Gabby continued to lead her on as "James" meant that Miranda was emotionally invested in the relationship and couldn't or didn't want to stop when she found out "James'" real identity.

If that's the case. I say she really needs to take her thumps and move one. Easier said than done. Staying with someone out of a sense of obligation or an attempt to prove your friends wrong is a miserable situation. I think Miranda's really sold herself on the idea of her and Gabby being able to have something. Too bad there wasn't an after show so we could find out if it last beyond the one month update. 

I didn't like this episode at all. Felt like there were some really lose ends (the phone number belonging to someone else) and totally unsatisfying ending. Miranda seemed like she was trying to talk herself into finding it all cool so that she wouldn't lose another relationship. That's pretty sad :(

One of the most interesting things to me each show is the outfits that people choose to meet the love of their life in... Those stockings she was wearing for the non-meetup/skype call were something!

• Love 1

I don't find it that odd that Miranda has been flirting with Gabby; after all, she never said she was completely straight. I also noted that in the final interview, Gabby said that she and Miranda have been telling each other things now that they'd never told each other before, so I could buy that Miranda confessed she's at least curious. And they have an emotional connection, so who knows. It's not that out there.

What I really want to know is if Gabby actually did have a sister with leukemia. Miranda said that "Cameryn" told her about the sister before Miranda ever told "him" about her ill mother, so I guess it's possible. I wish that Nev and Max would get more into the lies sometimes, though. Are these people who claim to be the opposite sex mostly being truthful about their lives, just changing minor details? Or, in this case, was "James" making up elaborate stories about how he happened to have his photo taken with a monkey?

I sort of understand where Gabby's coming from -- she's young and comes from an apparently conservative family, and the longer she let this lie go on, the harder it became to tell the truth -- but three years is much too long to continue lying, and she should have come clean once the conversations started turning romantic/sexual, at the latest. I don't understand why she'd pursue a girl she likely assumed was totally straight anyway. I mean, it's the Internet! She could easily have met lots of girls who were questioning their sexuality or were out bisexuals or lesbians, and she wouldn't have had to lie at all and would likely have received a lot of support.

I don't find it that odd that Miranda has been flirting with Gabby; 

I think the reason why I find it so odd is because Gabby really did an emotional number on Miranda. She catfished her twice for a period of three years. I just don't understand how Miranda could have a friendship with Gabby, let alone one with romantic undertones to it with a person that trust is a major issue. Now, that the air has been cleared so to speak I don't know how she still wouldn't be wary about what else Gabby might be out right lying about/fudging. 

• Love 3

I think the reason why I find it so odd is because Gabby really did an emotional number on Miranda. She catfished her twice for a period of three years. I just don't understand how Miranda could have a friendship with Gabby, let alone one with romantic undertones to it with a person that trust is a major issue. Now, that the air has been cleared so to speak I don't know how she still wouldn't be wary about what else Gabby might be out right lying about/fudging. 

I agree, at first I was for the budding relationship.  But the entire relationship was built on emotional manipulation of an emotionally vulnerable person.  To know that someone has a mother with a terminal illness, but to continue to lie about who you are and make up stories just doesn't seem right IMO.

What I really want to know is if Gabby actually did have a sister with leukemia. Miranda said that "Cameryn" told her about the sister before Miranda ever told "him" about her ill mother, so I guess it's possible. I wish that Nev and Max would get more into the lies sometimes, though. Are these people who claim to be the opposite sex mostly being truthful about their lives, just changing minor details? Or, in this case, was "James" making up elaborate stories about how he happened to have his photo taken with a monkey?

Thats what I want to know too.  Because thats on a whole different level if she lied about having a sister with cancer.  Although, i think the lie about the sex isn't such a minor detail, but I think it would be a whole different level of jerkiness because thats a big part of the reason why Miranda felt comfortable and opened up, because she felt like she was talking to someone else who had been through the same thing.  

• Love 1

I don't find it that odd that Miranda has been flirting with Gabby; after all, she never said she was completely straight. I also noted that in the final interview, Gabby said that she and Miranda have been telling each other things now that they'd never told each other before, so I could buy that Miranda confessed she's at least curious. And they have an emotional connection, so who knows. It's not that out there.

I find it intensely odd because Gabby has been lying to Miranda for the duration of their "relationship". Miranda busted her as "Cameryn", so what does Gabby do? She continues to lie about who she is with another male persona! This went on for three years. In those three years, Gabby lied twice to Miranda about her identity and gender. I do think Gabby was confused, and I don't think she genuinely meant Miranda any harm. But, seriously, after being busted the first time was the right time to come clean instead of digging herself deeper and deeper. As you said, she should have at least stopped and come clean once the conversations turned sexual and flirtatious.

I could care less if Miranda is bicurious, bisexual or a lesbian herself. That isn't the issue here, and I don't think the situation should be considered remedied just because she may reciprocate another woman's feelings. Gabby straight-up lied to her for three years about very large things. If somebody has lied to you twice about her identity, then how do you know when she's telling the truth? How can you bring herself to trust her again after the emotional havoc she's wreaked? In my opinion, you simply can't. You can forgive the person and wish her well, but don't get involved romantically just because you have empathy for her plight. That's the messed-up part.

• Love 2

Yeah, I agree. I was addressing the comments like, "apparently you can turn someone at least Bi-curious," "why does she suddenly think that she could be gay," and "she's going to become a lesbian/bisexual just to prove her friends wrong?" We don't know Miranda's sexuality. (Also, being interested in one woman doesn't make someone gay, full stop.)

How she can forgive and flirt with someone who lied to her repeatedly is another issue; I don't understand that, regardless of the sex of the person.

Yeah, I agree. I was addressing the comments like, "apparently you can turn someone at least Bi-curious," "why does she suddenly think that she could be gay," and "she's going to become a lesbian/bisexual just to prove her friends wrong?" We don't know Miranda's sexuality. (Also, being interested in one woman doesn't make someone gay, full stop.)

How she can forgive and flirt with someone who lied to her repeatedly is another issue; I don't understand that, regardless of the sex of the person.

I think my concern is that Miranda seemed interested in men, which is why she "fell" for two of them online, so I think her natural inclination has been to seek out men for relationships.  I think if she had wanted to hook up with a female, or was interested in that, she would have tried to find that online.  Although, I wasn't sure the exact venue that the two met through.  And yes, its possible that Miranda has had bi-sexual/lesbian feelings that she simply left unexplored.  

However, it seems to me, that Miranda is just desperate for someone to hold onto during these difficult times with her mother, and became dependent on whatever character Gabby was playing.  And it concerns me that her feelings may be more borne out of being emotionally manipulated than any actual real interest she has in exploring a bi-sexual relationship.  It seems like she is being emotionally manipulated into a relationship that she is not physically into because she needs someone.

• Love 1

There are degrees of bisexuality as well; someone can be predominantly interested in men but still open to the idea of being with a woman. A person like that might not seek out women, but would be up for it if the opportunity arose. Miranda didn't state her sexuality, so we just can't know.

Putting sexuality aside, it seems to me that Miranda is just emotionally needy, like you say. She said several times during the episode that she just wanted someone to be there for her and to listen to her. The entire reason she went back to "James" after walking away from "Cameryn" is because something happened in her life and she needed to talk to someone about it. She mentioned that a bunch of her real-life friends have ditched her, as well. I got the impression that Miranda was interested more in someone to fill her need to be taken care of and listened to than in a healthy, give-and-take relationship, but of course the show is heavily edited and at least somewhat manipulated, so who really knows. (I agree that Gabby is playing on that need, too. After three years, she must know which buttons to press.)

• Love 2

Was there really any point to Nev's search for other James G_'s? If Miranda wasn't talking to the guy in the pictures she had, what made him think it might be someone else with the same name, as opposed to someone else entirely (as it was)? If the victims are going to be doing some of the things Nev has traditionally done, it might be time for the producers to call in an expert and have Nev learn a few new tricks.

I was definitely not expecting James to be the guy in the pictures but I was sure it was going to be the "Hang" woman's son James.  I was totally blown away when Gabby appeared on that screen (And seriously, Nev & Max,  I want an explanation for the whole Hang person owning that phone number).  I saw Miranda as being over the top needy.  I don't think it would have mattered who showed up on the Skype call, she was going to be all "true love" about them. 

I do not have an issue with Miranda suddenly having an interest in women.  I think she is so desperate for the love and understanding part of a relationship, she wouldn't care what is between the other person's legs (which I am not saying is a bad thing.  People would label me bi-sexual because I fall in love with a person, not their genitals, so I will give Miranda the benefit of the doubt and assume she is the same).  Like everyone else here, though, I cannot fathom how she could possibly TRUST Gabby enough to have even the smallest of flirtations with her.  The girl is naïve, that much is obvious, but to trust someone who has spent 3 years lying to her veers from the naïve category to the idiot fast lane.