Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Mysteries: Mysterious Small Town Hijinks Ensue - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Please keep the discussion here to Hallmark Mystery Movies - discussion of general Hallmark movies or news should be done in the Hallmark Movie Channel topic. Thank you.

• Start Topic

13 minutes ago, Clawdette said:

Well, tonight we had Chekhov’s security guard. Returned to the fray at the very end. 

Did we know Hannah had this sister? I remember Andrea and her family but not Michelle.

No, the sister Michelle came as a big surprise to me.  She reminds me too much of Joy on Good Witch and that is not a good thing IMO.  Delores was ditzier and more wound up than usual and the makeup/hair stylist on the show had a very heavy hand.  Lake Eden instead of Eden Lake?  Biggest of all — really, really missed Lisa Durupt and Toby Levins.  I am super fond of Alison and Cameron and the Murder She Baked series so was really excited to welcome the new movie back.  It was not what I expected by a long shot.  

On 8/2/2021 at 2:31 PM, LuvMyShows said:

One thing I noticed in the beginning of the preview, was that when they showed Travis seeing Amy at that crime scene, and saying something like "What is she doing here?", he sounded genuinely disgusted at seeing her (not just bothered that she was at a scene she shouldn't have been at), and so already I was wondering what on earth was going on.

I just finished watching this, and that ending really harshed my buzz. I do think/hope that it is some sort of set up/ruse/long con as proposed, as they clearly genuinely love each other and no way things change that drastically in 11 months otherwise. My theory for Travis seeming genuinely angry at her is that somehow only Amy is in on whatever is happening, and for some reason had to break up with Travis without him knowing what was going on in order to protect him or something. That would explain his attitude in that scene but still make it some sort undercover/working on a crime situation.

In any case, this better get resolved in the next movie (whenever that is). Toward the end of that movie is fine, but I'm not enduring multiple episodes of this.

ETA because this ending is really bothering me and I can't stop thinking about it and coming up with theories that make me feel better. Alternative theory, Travis is the one who broke up with Amy to protect her because of some case, and can't tell her why. So he had to give her some B.S. reason. Amy is understandably distraught and heartbroken, and after a few months decides Travis really means whatever reason he gave her and it's never going to change. So she decides to try to move on and halfheartedly starts to date and falls into a relationship with a nice enough man whose company she enjoys well enough but whom she doesn't really love but just goes along with it. Maybe they're not even really engaged (or he asked and she hasn't given him an answer) and Travis just thinks they are. And his demeanor in that scene is because he's hurt about that even though he knows he had to do what he did and has no right to be mad at her.

Or they are in on it together and Travis is just frustrated at the situation in general because it's been dragging on for weeks/months and they aren't allowed to have any contact, and he's mad that she showed up at his crime scene when she's not supposed to.

Also, in any of these theories maybe Travis's FBI ex-wife is back and is working with one or both of them on whatever this is.

I have never in my life thought this much about a Hallmark mystery movie. I think they broke me.

Edited by redpencil
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

No, the sister Michelle came as a big surprise to me.  She reminds me too much of Joy on Good Witch and that is not a good thing IMO.  Delores was ditzier and more wound up than usual and the makeup/hair stylist on the show had a very heavy hand.  Lake Eden instead of Eden Lake?  Biggest of all — really, really missed Lisa Durupt and Toby Levins.  I am super fond of Alison and Cameron and the Murder She Baked series so was really excited to welcome the new movie back.  It was not what I expected by a long shot.  

I, too, was disappointed, and I'm trying to figure out why.  Having recently seen a Mystery 101, this had such a different vibe, and not in a good way.  The acting didn't seem near as good, from the leads on down to all the supporting characters, and Delores truly was an OTT caricature.

One thing I can't remember...did they determine who stole from the safe, and if so how, what was the motive, and did it have anything to do with the murder?  Trainer Brett didn't seem to have the same build as the killer, so it seems like it should have been easy to rule him in or out as the thief when they were looking at the video.

I also can't remember...what was the reason that the murder victim had been so secretive about her past?

Other random observations:

• The new sister was a weird casting choice. She looks nothing like Allison, and acts kind of oddly, like they couldn't really decide what her character was supposed to be -- madcap? slightly selfish?  a bit of a troublemaker? -- and consequently she just came off as a not very good actress, and they had no sisterly rapport at all, in spite of the script trying to achieve that.
  • So Hannah thinks someone has broken into her house, grabs a rolling pin, and goes upstairs to startle a probable bad guy?  SMH.  The cardinal rule of break-ins, is to get the heck out if you've discovered a break-in and not confront the perp.
  • I don't remember much about the love triangle with Mike and Norman from before, but she doesn't seem to have a lot chemistry with Mike (at least not until the final kiss of the episode).  I was also surprised at how similar Mike and Norman's builds are and their hairstyles.  And it was also surprising to see how taken aback Hannah was when she found out Norman had a date...are we sure that the love triangle is really over?
  • They never asked Hannah which was her locker when they wouldn't let her back in and said they'd go back to get her ring and watch.  And who on earth takes those off and just leaves them out in the locker, without putting them inside a bag or something first?
  • It came across very odd when Hannah was talking to that bridal shop lady, who was describing a secretive applicant, that Hannah would just ask who the applicant was.  Made me wonder if that isn't a violation of some privacy law or other.
  • Did I miss it, or they did they not explain why the three women were together in the first place in a car, when they stopped at the junkyard?
  • When the detectives went to Jacqueline Grant's house, the woman who restored jewelry, why didn't they immediately pick up that she could have been the one who spray painted the car, given that the spray paint cans were sitting right there when they were looking at her jewelry set up.
  • The thing about the chocolate chip cookies confused me.  First of all, they admitted that their list did not include people who paid cash.  Then Hannah concluded, once all the others on the list were ruled out, that it had to be Mr. Grant and he had bought the cookies for the fitness instructor/victim.  But then she had the realization that it was actually chocolate chunk cookies that had been bought, so she had her employee run another list.  And then I don't remember anything happening with that other list.  
  • And most importantly, how on earth did Hannah's dress and hair dry so quickly when she went back to the party?!
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, redpencil said:

I just finished watching this, and that ending really harshed my buzz. I do think/hope that it is some sort of set up/ruse/long con as proposed, as they clearly genuinely love each other and no way things change that drastically in 11 months otherwise. My theory for Travis seeming genuinely angry at her is that somehow only Amy is in on whatever is happening, and for some reason had to break up with Travis without him knowing what was going on in order to protect him or something. That would explain his attitude in that scene but still make it some sort undercover/working on a crime situation.

In any case, this better get resolved in the next movie (whenever that is). Toward the end of that movie is fine, but I'm not enduring multiple episodes of this.

ETA because this ending is really bothering me and I can't stop thinking about it and coming up with theories that make me feel better. Alternative theory, Travis is the one who broke up with Amy to protect her because of some case, and can't tell her why. So he had to give her some B.S. reason. Amy is understandably distraught and heartbroken, and after a few months decides Travis really means whatever reason he gave her and it's never going to change. So she decides to try to move on and halfheartedly starts to date and falls into a relationship with a nice enough man whose company she enjoys well enough but whom she doesn't really love but just goes along with it. Maybe they're not even really engaged (or he asked and she hasn't given him an answer) and Travis just thinks they are. And his demeanor in that scene is because he's hurt about that even though he knows he had to do what he did and has no right to be mad at her.

Or they are in on it together and Travis is just frustrated at the situation in general because it's been dragging on for weeks/months and they aren't allowed to have any contact, and he's mad that she showed up at his crime scene when she's not supposed to.

Also, in any of these theories maybe Travis's FBI ex-wife is back and is working with one or both of them on whatever this is.

I have never in my life thought this much about a Hallmark mystery movie. I think they broke me.

Love this!  I, too, am weirdly obsessed by it, and had even described the ending to my husband both when it happened, and then again after I saw the ending right before the start of the new Hannah Swensen movie.  I like the theory that it is a one-sided thing, and that one of them had to do something to protect the other, but I agree that it needs to be resolved in one movie.  I cannot have this much disruption in my life!!!

• Love 1

I liked Hannah's other sister, they had good sister chemistry.  This new sister, not so much. Maybe she should have been written as a childhood friend that moves back to town. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I don't remember much about the love triangle with Mike and Norman from before, but she doesn't seem to have a lot chemistry with Mike (at least not until the final kiss of the episode).  I was also surprised at how similar Mike and Norman's builds are and their hairstyles.  And it was also surprising to see how taken aback Hannah was when she found out

I think Hannah and Mike have chemistry but it wasn't highlighted much in this movie because no, I don't think that triangle is over.  If it were over, I don't think they'd have Gabriel Hogan in the movie with all those awkward moments.  In fact, the one thing that I like the most about the Hannah movies is that she does have chemistry with her love interests.

I do think some of the awkwardness of this movie was COVID related. I swear I could see plexiglass in one of the scenes. I'm not sure if it was meant to actually be there or if it was a COVID precaution kind of thing.

These movies are usually really good so I'm just hoping this was an aberration.  I did miss her real sister and her husband as Mike's coworker.  She had more energy than this new sister. 

I was also hoping for a more interesting conclusion after the initial "homewrecker" graffiti at the beginning of the movie.  Just an unrequited love by someone I really didn't remember?  Meh.

4 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Love this!  I, too, am weirdly obsessed by it, and had even described the ending to my husband both when it happened, and then again after I saw the ending right before the start of the new Hannah Swensen movie.  I like the theory that it is a one-sided thing, and that one of them had to do something to protect the other, but I agree that it needs to be resolved in one movie.  I cannot have this much disruption in my life!!!

I'm glad I'm not alone, haha. I'm really glad this wasn't a series where we aren't sure if it will get picked up again, and could just end like that forever. That would necessitate writing head canon and/or seeking out fan fic. At least here we know there will be resolution; we just have to wait awhile.

Agree with a lot of thoughts on the new Murder She Baked... I was very excited for it, and while I still enjoyed it, it was disappointing in some ways. 

They definitely set up a lot of red herrings and then just had no resolution to them... Like they set up that Ronnie was on the run from her husband, but I assumed he was abusive and that's why she was being so secretive... The earring ladie's husband never even showed up, and how was she a homewrecker if she was dating the gym guy? I mean, it sounds like he did things for her or wanted to date her? But that's on married guy and not her, even if she took advantage of him giving her things....   I think the fired trainer was the robber, but they never showed him getting arrested or anything... I guess we're just supposed to assume so?? 

I like the Norman actor (He's so fun on Tacoma FD) so it was nice to see him back, but trying to recreate a love triangle at this point seems silly... it was never much of a triangle IMO and Mike was always the one she was more interested in. Can she and Norman just be friends? I was hoping the mom would push to set him up with the sister and it would be magical or something... I don't like the idea of Hannah and Mike enjoying being engaged, planning a wedding... and then still having another guy around to make a triangle.... If they wanted a triangle then they shouldn't have rushed an engagement... so hopefully they can just keep him around to be her cool friend and she can set him up with a nice lady or something. 
I did miss the other sister, not sure if that was a casting issue or just a decision to change the relationships around/make Mike be overly busy with policework to make relationship drama? 

The mom was way over the top this time, especially with the clunker of a book.... but it was still nice to have another one of these mysteries. I like the main cast, so it was still fun to watch before really thinking through the mystery and the plot :P 

• Love 4

I was mad that they ditched the cool theme song.  I'm not sure why Hallmark chose to remove unique features of this series like the theme song and "Murder, She Baked" while still trying to act like it's the same series.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Starscream said:

I was mad that they ditched the cool theme song.  I'm not sure why Hallmark chose to remove unique features of this series like the theme song and "Murder, She Baked" while still trying to act like it's the same series.

I am probably being picky but I fèlt it didn't feel small town. I like the police station before. Seeing Mike in his new office showed he was clearly in a building with several floors as opposed to the old police station with one story layout.  Lol, I know that I'm being nitpicky but one  is definitely small town police station. 

The Cookie Jar also looked different.  Long sleek tables instead of smaller cozy tables. 

• Love 4
On 8/9/2021 at 9:16 PM, chitowngirl said:

In the books, Hannah has two sisters. Michelle (in the books) is away at college a lot. 

Would love to know more about the differences between the books and the movies...can you share more (non-spoiler info)?

• Useful 1

FYI, the Deck the Hallmark podcast interviewed the main writer of Mystery 101 (John Christian Plummer) this week and it was really interesting. He didn't spoil anything, but said that he added the cliffhanger to the recent movie at the request of the network (they loved the previous movie's soft cliffhanger of "oh no, my uncle is missing!" and asked him to ratchet things up a notch). He didn't have a detailed story idea in mind when he wrote the ending, and is currently writing the next movie, so it's anybody's guess how things are going to go.

He did say that for any fans who are despairing at the shocking turn of events, he is a big fan of the "it's always darkest before the dawn" trope. Anyway, he seemed like a cool guy, with decent writing chops (he was a creative director of a Shakespeare theater group before working for Hallmark) and I think we're in good hands. Here's the link, if you want to listen to the whole interview (it's about 42 minutes long).

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 8/9/2021 at 9:41 PM, roctavia said:

They definitely set up a lot of red herrings and then just had no resolution to them... Like they set up that Ronnie was on the run from her husband, but I assumed he was abusive and that's why she was being so secretive... The earring ladie's husband never even showed up, and how was she a homewrecker if she was dating the gym guy? I mean, it sounds like he did things for her or wanted to date her? But that's on married guy and not her, even if she took advantage of him giving her things....   I think the fired trainer was the robber, but they never showed him getting arrested or anything... I guess we're just supposed to assume so?? 

Disclaimer:  I can't remember anyone's name so I will be continuing with the use of descriptions rather than proper names.

Another red herring.  I thought that security guard (ie murder) was also in on the robbery because he told the police that the robbery happened while he was patrolling the other side of the parking lot (or something like that).  The robbery wasn't discovered until the next morning when girlfriend of fired fitness instructor came to work. So how did security guard/murderer know exactly when the robbery took place?

On 8/8/2021 at 11:48 PM, MerBearHou said:

Well, tonight we had Chekhov’s security guard. Returned to the fray at the very end. 

Are we going to be using "Chekhov's" for everything now?  Because if we are, then I'm calling the pink pen "Chekov's pen."

On 8/12/2021 at 2:15 AM, Cherpumple said:

FYI, the Deck the Hallmark podcast interviewed the main writer of Mystery 101 (John Christian Plummer) this week and it was really interesting. He didn't spoil anything, but said that he added the cliffhanger to the recent movie at the request of the network (they loved the previous movie's soft cliffhanger of "oh no, my uncle is missing!" and asked him to ratchet things up a notch). He didn't have a detailed story idea in mind when he wrote the ending, and is currently writing the next movie, so it's anybody's guess how things are going to go.

He did say that for any fans who are despairing at the shocking turn of events, he is a big fan of the "it's always darkest before the dawn" trope. 

OK, so first and most importantly, I am clinging to the bolded part!

But my question for those of you that know the books...I thought all of these movies came from book series.  But it sounds like in this case, the guy is writing it from scratch.  Does anyone know which series are from books and which are new from scratch?

5 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

But my question for those of you that know the books...I thought all of these movies came from book series.  But it sounds like in this case, the guy is writing it from scratch.  Does anyone know which series are from books and which are new from scratch?

I know Mystery 101 is original, and the ones from books are Aurora Teagarden and Murder She Baked (now the Hannah Swenson Mysteries), but I don't know about the others. And I'm no expert, but I've heard that the book-based ones have veered quite far away from the stories in the books, especially regarding the romantic pairings.

• Useful 1
On 8/11/2021 at 8:46 AM, LuvMyShows said:

Would love to know more about the differences between the books and the movies...can you share more (non-spoiler info)?

I don't remember in detail about the book this one is based on, but there's 27 so far, and I think #28 is coming early next year. This new movie is based on Cream Puff Murder, book 11. It's been a few years since I read this book, but I think they're hitting the high points: Ronni being murdered in the gym

Spoiler

but if I remember, Tad's uncle Frank did it,

Delores's book and the party, and Lisa doing all of the work at the Cookie Jar while Hannah plays PI.

Michelle is away at college most of the time early in the series, then comes back once she has her teaching degree. She works occasionally in The Cookie Jar, when she isn't teaching. She's dating Lonnie Murphy, another cop who works with Bill, Mike, and Lonnie's brother. Book Michelle seems quite different from Movie Michelle; Michelle was around for this book. Michelle, Andrea, and Delores are supposed to look similar while Hannah takes after her father.

Andrea, Bill, Tracy, and Beth didn't move to Seattle. Bill is still county sheriff and Andrea is a real estate agent, not an interior decorator. Having contacts all over, knowing the area, and not having a fixed schedule makes it easy for Andrea to tag along or not when Hannah is investigating. Tracy is annoyingly precocious. Andrea was with Hannah when they found Ronni's body, not Michelle. Andrea is a terrible cook and can only bake one type of cookie with any success.

Delores is partners with Norman's mother, Carrie, in an antiques store next door to the Cookie Jar.

Mike is blond with a mustache, and he's even more sexist and high handed in the books. Hannah and Norman designed a dream house for a contest, around book three or four. Norman built it and lives there. She's still dithering between Mike and Norman. Hannah's cat Moishe and Norman's cat Cuddles are great friends. Moishe is way too cute and small in the movies. No dog for Norman, and I don't think the books even mention if Marge Beeseman has dogs or not. There's another man Hannah also likes in the books, an old college friend who is a movie producer, but he's not in many books because they don't make many movies in Lake Eden.

At this point in the books, Hannah's kind of clueless and annoying and I want to strangle her "rational mind" and her "suspicious mind." And impeccably clean hands, I hate that phrase from the recipes. They were ok books at first, but they're getting stupider and have a higher degree of recipes to story each time.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 8/9/2021 at 10:35 AM, LuvMyShows said:

I don't remember much about the love triangle with Mike and Norman from before, but she doesn't seem to have a lot chemistry with Mike (at least not until the final kiss of the episode).  I was also surprised at how similar Mike and Norman's builds are and their hairstyles.  And it was also surprising to see how taken aback Hannah was when she found out Norman had a date...are we sure that the love triangle is really over?

Norman was very kind, adoring, attentive, and sweet to Hannah. He’s also Mom’s first choice in husband material for her daughter. However, there was little to no excitement or romance in the relationship. The spark was just not there. He was the “safe, secure choice”-no fun in that. What I found aggravating was when Hannah finally chose Mike, and let him know, he immediately did a 180, turned tail and ran! 

• Useful 1

I thought I had seen all of the Murder She Baked films and don't remember Mike and Hannah getting engaged. When did that happen? Also agree with those who didn't care for the out of town sister.

4 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

I thought I had seen all of the Murder She Baked films and don't remember Mike and Hannah getting engaged. When did that happen? Also agree with those who didn't care for the out of town sister.

In the last movie which, for a while, looked to be the last of the Murder She Baked mysteries.  But then they made another one.

• Useful 1

On a whim I picked up two Hannah Swenson mysteries at the library the other week. IMO the books really suck. The author paints Hannah as someone who lacks any qualities that make you root for her. In the books she is constantly sleeping and her sister Michelle literally does everything for her. She pours her coffees, makes all her meals, bakes most of the cookies or pies. I don’t get how she is the same person as the Hannah in the movies. I like the movies much better and find the books a chore to get through. I will say that last weekend I made the Peanut Butter Chocolate Cheesecake recipe I found in one of the books and it was tasty :)

I wasn’t sure of the order but I’m obviously reading backwards. The first book I read was Banana Cream Pie murder where:

Spoiler

Hannah has just married Ross (who I don’t think is ever mentioned in the movies) but Mike and Norman are still present and groveling for her daily and there is a weird 4 person marriage feeling going on between them all. 

I’m just finishing Wedding Cake Murder where:

Spoiler

Hannah is engaged to Ross and again Mike and Norman are ever present with the weird 4 person engagement feeling. In fact they are going to be in her wedding. 
In both these books Mayor Bascomb has somewhat of a bigger part than the movies as a philanderer and is usually always a suspect in the murder.

Edited by Mountainair
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, Mountainair said:

On a whim I picked up two Hannah Swenson mysteries at the library the other week. IMO the books really suck.

They really do.  I read the first book and found her annoying.  Then, in reading the descriptions of later books, I could just tell it kept getting worse. 

Spoiler

Of course the triangle goes on forever.  Not only that, they introduce someone else.

Yes the books are why I never watched the movies, even though I love Alison Sweeney.  Not even she could make me want to spend another second with Hannah Swensen and her elastic waistband pants.  I read the series through book 8 or 10 if memory serves - or up until the last book that was published before I threw in the towel in frustration.  The unbelievably stupid triangle was what finally did it.  Poorly constructed mysteries I can stand, but the prim, never-ending triangle was a bridge too far.

Hopefully there will be more Chronicle Mysteries.  I really liked those.

• Love 2
On 8/19/2021 at 11:18 PM, Kitty Redstone said:

Yes the books are why I never watched the movies, even though I love Alison Sweeney.  Not even she could make me want to spend another second with Hannah Swensen and her elastic waistband pants.  I read the series through book 8 or 10 if memory serves - or up until the last book that was published before I threw in the towel in frustration.  The unbelievably stupid triangle was what finally did it.  Poorly constructed mysteries I can stand, but the prim, never-ending triangle was a bridge too far.

Hopefully there will be more Chronicle Mysteries.  I really liked those.

The movies are definitely better than the books…. And don’t have so much of the triangle stuff… I mean it exists but her decision was pretty clear from the beginning and I can’t imagine they are going backwards on the engagement despite still having Norman in the story…  I’m assuming the book husband isn’t ever showing up because it would be dumb.

Edited by roctavia
  • Love 1
On 7/9/2021 at 1:05 AM, MAS8 said:

Rochelle Aytes is leading Hallmark Movies and Mysteries new Mysteries series Melanie Abrams Mysteries: Beyond Repair now known as Redemption in Cherry Springs.

Looks like it will air Sept. 12.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 8/21/2021 at 9:00 PM, LuvMyShows said:

New Aurora Teagarden tomorrow!  And now that they are married, will we actually see Hallmark Mystery leads in the same bed?  How scandalous!

I haven't seen many of the episodes but did the episode before tonight's show the wedding? I was disappointed not to see it.

Also, what happened to Lynn's Arthur?

23 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

That's dumb that it has a new name that has nothing to do with mysteries, though. When they have the same theme name (Morning Show Mysteries, Crossword Mysteries, Aurora Teagarden, etc), my DVR groups them together, which is nice when HMM premieres two or three in a month and I want to watch them all later. 

Yes, I wonder about the renaming for the Melanie Abrams series.  HMM did it with another recent mystery as well - it was supposed to be Destination Mysteries:(something) but that descriptor/indicator of a series was stripped away and the movie had a singular, non-colon title which I can't remember the name of.  I liked it, especially a couple of the supporting cast members.

Edited by Kitty Redstone
8 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

I haven't seen many of the episodes but did the episode before tonight's show the wedding? I was disappointed not to see it.

Also, what happened to Lynn's Arthur?

Yes, the previous episode "Till Death Do Us Part" showed the wedding.  Arthur was in that one and Lynn was missing.  The new one is first one Arthur does not appear in, while Lynn has missed 3.   Maybe the actor who plays Arthur was busy filming his guest star role in latest Mystery 101.

• Useful 2

CCB tweeted that Peter Benson was busy directing another film at the time and that he’d be back!  I love Arthur and really, really, really do not care for Lynn so that was a bad trade-off for me in this one.  I figured out the killer about 3/4 of the way through.  It was an OK film because I welcome all of the mystery movie series returns, but sorry, I just don’t like CCB and Niall Mater together.  I liked her much better with Martin and even Robin.  Both have a smidge of “edge” which I prefer.  Niall’s character drives me bonkers — not the actor’s fault.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

CCB tweeted that Peter Benson was busy directing another film at the time and that he’d be back!  I love Arthur and really, really, really do not care for Lynn so that was a bad trade-off for me in this one.  I figured out the killer about 3/4 of the way through.  It was an OK film because I welcome all of the mystery movie series returns, but sorry, I just don’t like CCB and Niall Mater together.  I liked her much better with Martin and even Robin.  Both have a smidge of “edge” which I prefer.  Niall’s character drives me bonkers — not the actor’s fault.  

I miss Martin.  Mater's character pretty much rolls over, at least Martin, to a some extent challenged, Aurora when she was out of line or better, out of control.  I do love Marilu Henner, but Aida's screeching about "oh, Aurora I don't want to have to worry about you", routine has worn out it's welcome.   Lynn needs to go on an undercover assignment forever. Missed Arthur.  Missed Sally.  Still miss John.

Edited by LegalParrot81
  • Love 10
12 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Yes, I wonder about the renaming for the Melanie Abrams series.  HMM did it with another recent mystery as well - it was supposed to be Destination Mysteries:(something) but that descriptor/indicator of a series was stripped away and the movie had a singular, non-colon title which I can't remember the name of.  I liked it, especially a couple of the supporting cast members.

To Catch a Spy?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I love Arthur and really, really, really do not care for Lynn so that was a bad trade-off for me in this one.  

It seems like with every new episode lately, especially this one, that they are (thankfully) trying to soften the ridiculously hard edge that they gave Lynn's character. 

2 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I figured out the killer about 3/4 of the way through. 

I don't like the ones where a super minor character ends up being the villain, although I guess I should have known by the inordinate amount of time they showed Aida working on that project with that woman.

On 8/21/2021 at 9:00 PM, LuvMyShows said:

And now that they are married, will we actually see Hallmark Mystery leads in the same bed?  How scandalous!

Quoting myself here, but wanted to say that although they didn't show Nick and Ro in a bed, there were quite a few risque veiled references to sex!

• Love 3
15 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Following up to this with the depressing news that I read...that it will be the last new mystery movie for the year  ☹️☹️  ☹️☹️  ☹️☹️  ☹️☹️ ☹️☹️

I pretty much figured out who did it as soon as they appeared & started talking. Too much conversation for a supposedly nobody minor character.

I was pretty bored with this one, & I am really finding Aurora annoying. She just keeps butting in & acting like she has every right to question people & that she knows better than everyone. And why can't they just find a wig they like & use it every time? Her hair is different in every movie.

I really miss the Garage Sale movies 😢

• Love 6
3 hours ago, GaT said:

I pretty much figured out who did it as soon as they appeared & started talking. Too much conversation for a supposedly nobody minor character.

Ha! Me too. First scene she was in, I said, "She did it." My husband asked, "How do you know?", and I replied, "Because she's unnecessary. Too much dialogue on a character that didn't have to be there."

Later, when she said something about love hadn't been kind to her either, I said, "And there's the motive."

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, rainsmom said:

Ha! Me too. First scene she was in, I said, "She did it." My husband asked, "How do you know?", and I replied, "Because she's unnecessary. Too much dialogue on a character that didn't have to be there."

Later, when she said something about love hadn't been kind to her either, I said, "And there's the motive."

Ditto, ha! As soon as she gave a little too much detail about a minor matter, I figured she was the killer.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, lizzbert said:

Ditto, ha! As soon as she gave a little too much detail about a minor matter, I figured she was the killer.

I also got suspicious (aka pretty darn sure) that she was the killer when she coincidentally wasn’t present for the DNA swab.  

• Love 1

I know should not overthink these, but for the latest Aurora Teagarden there were at least 3 minor points that jumped out at me while watching.   1) Why would Lynn be investigating a murder in another town?  If it is too small to have own police force, guessing the county sheriff would be investigating  not her 2) Lizzy said reason there was no land line was Aunt Gladys did not want any distractions, but Aunt Gladys died 6 movies ago.  Why wouldn't Lizzy have had one installed, especially since she said she and Bubba used the cabin?  3) Last we heard Lizzy was CEO of a company - would she really have time to join Real Murders Club and then spend time accompanying Aurora around as she investigated?  (Do realize that she was effectively filling in for Sally and acted a lot like her towards the end).  

It is somewhat ironic that Julia Benson, who plays Lizzy, is married to Peter Benson, who plays Arthur, and that the movie she appears in the most is the one he missed.   I did check out Candace's twitter and she said Sally will be back in future movies, but did not say why Lexa Doig missed this one.

Edited by mikeb
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
On 8/23/2021 at 2:28 PM, LuvMyShows said:

It seems like with every new episode lately, especially this one, that they are (thankfully) trying to soften the ridiculously hard edge that they gave Lynn's character.

Yes. They made her such a witch from the beginning that you really had to dislike her. I was really surprised and encouraged by the change in their dynamic in this movie, because I don’t dislike the actress. I really don’t think Lynn softened so much as explained her ill feelings/attitude toward Roe and her antics. After all, as she says, she still has to make the solid case and ensure the guilty party doesn’t get away because of procedural technicalities. Having Roe involved has to be like having an unpredictable kid at a social gathering. And it’s not like blowing the case because of something Roe did was outside the realm of possibilities up to this point. (Hence, the “She’s got a point” discussion.)

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Daff said:

Yes. They made her such a witch from the beginning that you really had to dislike her. I was really surprised and encouraged by the change in their dynamic in this movie, because I don’t dislike the actress. I really don’t think Lynn softened so much as explained her ill feelings/attitude toward Roe and her antics. After all, as she says, she still has to make the solid case and ensure the guilty party doesn’t get away because of procedural technicalities. Having Roe involved has to be like having an unpredictable kid at a social gathering. And it’s not like blowing the case because of something Roe did was outside the realm of possibilities up to this point. (Hence, the “She’s got a point” discussion.)

I really liked that Lynn said straight out that Roe was not only good at what she does, but was the best. And then she made a SOLID point about why she can't just jump in and follow her. I liked it!!

• Love 5

Lynn usually calls out Aurora's impulse need to investigate.  They're like yin and yang...and I could see why Arthur was drawn to both of them. 

Shame Sally was missing, but glad she'll be back.  And is it bad I think 17 Aurora teagarden's aren't enough? Lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

Lynn usually calls out Aurora's impulse need to investigate.  They're like yin and yang...and I could see why Arthur was drawn to both of them. 

Shame Sally was missing, but glad she'll be back.  And is it bad I think 17 Aurora teagarden's aren't enough? Lol

Since Arthur wasn't in the last movie, maybe he was watching their kid that Lynn had in the first or second movie that has to be at least in kindergarten by now. 

• LOL 1
On 8/23/2021 at 1:35 PM, LuvMyShows said:

Following up to this with the depressing news that I read...that it will be the last new mystery movie for the year  ☹️☹️  ☹️☹️  ☹️☹️  ☹️☹️ ☹️☹️

That's a real bummer.  Even though I'll watch the old mysteries over and over again, I so miss new mysteries.  Is there no more filming because of this damn virus or are there other factors involved?

I also miss Garage Sale mysteries (more so because of the supporting cast than LL, though I don't mind her).  Since HMM is under new, enlightened management (Murder, She Wrote fanatics will get that reference), I wonder if they'll give Lori Loughlin a second chance?

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

That's a real bummer.  Even though I'll watch the old mysteries over and over again, I so miss new mysteries.  Is there no more filming because of this damn virus or are there other factors involved?

My guess it's because HMM has to get ready for the Christmas movies that start to air in October (!)

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 1

Sigh. I've seen all the movies so many times that, at this point, I don't watch the channel except for the new mysteries. I'll miss it during the next four or five months.

I LOVED that they tried to show two new movies per month this year. I hope they expand more movies and more months. I really, really, like the cozies.

Why don't they do a weekly mystery series? If they can afford a period piece like WCTH, they can afford a contemporary mystery.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, LexieLily said:

My guess it's because HMM has to get ready for the Christmas movies that start to air in October (!)

You're probably right, which makes it almost as depressing.  This channel's obsession with months and months of 24/7 Christmas movies really pisses me off.  Hallmark Drama gets to keep its regular schedule, so why not HMM?

15 hours ago, rainsmom said:

Why don't they do a weekly mystery series? If they can afford a period piece like WCTH, they can afford a contemporary mystery.

Totally agree.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6