Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E15: Live Results 2

• Start Topic

Seven acts from the previous night's show will move on to the semi-final round of competition; and viewers will have one last chance to send their favorite performer to the next round.

Airs 8/21/19.

• I laughed more at Simon's billboard surprise for Howie's 10 years than I have at most of the comedians who've been on this show.
  • I didn't catch it last night but during the recap segment I noticed Gabrielle told Charlotte she has an "amazing and unique talent." What is unique about a 13-year-old who can sing? Especially on this show...
  • Dunkin Save: Charlotte Summers, Beardy Chris, Pretty in Pink Youth Choir. I initially thought people would vote for the choir, but the early votes they showed had Chris with twice the votes of the other two. Of the three I'd pick him. So then I predict the judges will pick the choir.
  • Tyler Butler Figueroa vs. Joseph Allen: Between the two of them I'd pick the violin kid, but I wouldn't have been sad if they both left. (Not that I get sad over this show in any way, but you know what I mean.)
  • V. Unbeatable vs. Sentimentalists: Was there really any question?
  • LB Kids vs Robert Finley vs Nick & Lindsey: LB Kids! But wait! You other two stay here! Suspense! And it's Robert Finley. Surprised? No.
  • Susan Boyle break!
  • Marina vs Ryan: I vote Ryan. "It's all in your hands..." Good going, Simon.
  • Audience Dunkin Save: Beardy Chris!
  • Do they really need to remind the person who got voted through that they didn't like his song? Really? 
  • Judges Dunkin Save: a tie. So we're back to the audience vote. So what was the point of all the judges' angst?
  • Did Terry just cut off the guy after asking what he wanted to say to the judges?
  • How many groups do we have where half the group is in the audience during the reveal because they're too big to have them all on stage? Three, so far (choir, dance crew, high kickers)? And we still have the Detroit youth choir next week, at least.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

After last week, I would've said Sophie was a lock to be the one WC for the semi-final rounds. Now I think it's a coin toss between her and Charlotte Summers.

So far our 14 semi-finalists include:

1 Stand Up Comedian-Ryan Niemiller

1 Impressionist-Greg Morton

1 Strength/Balance Act-Messoudi Brothers

1 Kid Violinist-Tyler Butler-Figueroa

1 Acrobatic Dance Act- V. Unbeatable

2 Multimedia Acts-Light Balance Kids & Alex Dowis

7 Singing Acts-Kodi Lee, Chris Klafford, Luke Islam, Ansley Burns, Voices of Service, Robert Findley, & Ndlovu Youth Choir

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, anthonyd46 said:

Kind of unfair to Sophie and EB last week that they didn't get the judge choice thing if this weeks choices get it.

Well it came down to audience vote in the end anyway. They should just go with the audience next week, too.

• Love 1

Loved the billboard.  

Ameriker pretty much got it right, as much as "right" could be given the horrid choices she was given.

I was glad Robert got through.  So, too, the best singer this season, Christopher Claus the professional from Sweden.

I dreamed a dream that I was dreaming...last night's debacle.  Yeah, I'm not much sentimental about it.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Well it came down to audience vote in the end anyway. They should just go with the audience next week, too.

Yea except for last week 7-8-9 got the chance this week it was 6-7-8 so its totally possible Ansley could have been a 9th placer and got lucky to get the chance. While whoever the 6th placer was got an auto through. This week the 6th placer might have got eliminated while last week they were auto in.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, anthonyd46 said:

Yea except for last week 7-8-9 got the chance this week it was 6-7-8 so its totally possible Ansley could have been a 9th placer and got lucky to get the chance. While whoever the 6th placer was got an auto through. This week the 6th placer might have got eliminated while last week they were auto in.

That much detail is way beyond my attention span for this show...

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

Yay!  Buh Bye Charlotte!  Sorry B&B couple, it's back to slinging hash and changing bedsheets for you.  The other couple: enjoy your mind-reading antics in the privacy of your own home.  The only good thing about their performances was the dessert cart.

For someone who is now essentially hate watching because I don't want to miss the trainwreck like any other rubbernecker, I agreed with all the boots and stays this episode.  So happy Robert Finley got through.  I was rooting for Chris from Sweden because he's easy to listen to and seems like a sweet and humble guy.  (Look At Me Charlotte, not so much.)

Simon wore a nice white shirt tonight and looked showered and shaved (for him).  I knew there'd be a joke in there somewhere when Simon announced his 10th Anniversary tribute.  Howie's billboard!

• Love 3

I accidentally posted this on the wrong thread, so my first joke makes no sense - whoops 😓

Seeing that there have already been this many posts before I get to it makes me feel like a drunk who slept through Christmas, though this show is most comparable to the stinky fruit cake that instantly gets thrown in the trash. Odd how the knowing of 5 terrible acts going home never to be seen again somehow results in more negative emotions.

The show opens with celebrating Howie's 10 years on the show, which any new fan would conclude the ongoing torment is what led to the progressive balding - the billboard shown was actually funny, which I didn't expect. Damn I have nothing to say. America has decided that the shittiest (the "bottom" 3 💩) acts are Charlotte Summers, Chris Klafford, and the "cut my tongue with a buck knife to pronounce that word" Youth Choir. It was pretty obvious that Charlotte wasn't going to make it through - but is that what happened? If you watched the show and can't remember already, go get an Alzheimer's test.

Tyler Butler Figueroa and Joseph Allen fight for a spot, which luckily is a non-physical contest, as I'm sure Tyler is sick of the hospital 😂. I'm glad Tyler went through, because his act is much more enjoyable, even if it's comparing "that was OK" to "meh". Simon put himself in the shoes of the average viewer, as he couldn't remember Joseph's name 10 seconds after he was eliminated.

V. Unbeatable went through, which was obvious, though it pains me, because the Sentamentalists girl is so adorable - if she has an Instagram, be prepared to see me fill the obligatory role of "profile picture of fat old man" commenting "Hey beautiful" on every pic and never getting a reply.

Light Balance Kids went through, which I'm guessing was due to a large colony of bats voting for them, as they were the only act that could be seen in the dark. Robert Finley went through, for which I am glad, because I like him - he is a textbook example of a fly old man who could no doubt roll with 20 year olds and probably somehow manage to steal his grandson's girlfriend even while in a coma. He's that cool. Nick and Lindsay got eliminated to nobody's surprise.

Susan Boyle is the kind of act you go see to feel better about your own appearance, especially since in her audition from 10 years ago she looked like the human version of the Y2K bug. I thought the song choice was appropriate, as I instantly drift off into REM sleep. I wonder how her last name doesn't qualify as false advertising, because she is the furthest thing from hot. This commentary is more like a roast than a critique, so I'll just end it with it made me yell 2 F words at the TV ------ fast forward.

Marina Mazepa got eliminated to nobody's surprise, though Ryan could win the million dollars and I'd still find Marina with the bubonic plague to be more attractive, so I guess she still wins (I'm such a prize). Ryan's joke about sleeping in a bigger car was hilarious.

The judges spend 10 minutes with their fingernails clawing their scalps in deliberation of whether to put Charlotte or pull-my-top-row-of-teeth-to-pronounce-that-word Youth Choir in a really useless segment. If the people at home (apparently it's a conspiracy) get to vote, then why does it come down to "our 4 friends"? Since you watched the show, I am not like Walter Kronkite in the newsroom giving you an important update, but Charlotte got eliminated, which was obvious. I don't have anything to say about that, so whatever.

I miss this show like crazy on the days that it's not on, despite usually finding it boring. What a confusing relationship.

Edited by InternetToughGuy
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2

Tyler savagely beating Joseph in the vote was no surprise, although I admittedly preach stopping the violins on this show. How awkward for Joseph Allen to say him and his Mama "made it" last night and now he's the first to get eliminated. Maybe "making it" was referring to booking their flight home? Well, they live in California, so maybe he meant planning out the short 20 hour drive home through clogged traffic. Also kind of funny that he (perhaps overcompensatingly) raps and sings, but still lost to another musician who doesn't even have to open their mouth when performing. Simon referred to him as "that other young gentleman" or something, clearly forgetting his easy to remember name. Then again, I think one of the most popular first names in North America for 2019 is Ndlovu (unisex), so who knows.

Celebrating Howie's 10 year tenure as a judge was well deserved, he looks so healthy for being subjected to so many crappy acts over the years. His cheerleading of shitty acts such as Gonzo proves that he's still in his prime as a judge.

If possible, I would have been desperately donut-voting for The Sentimentalists if they walked onto the stage in tears because then we'd know their powers are legit. When they were eliminated, Terry said "goodbye, Nick and Lindsay!" Either he forgot who he's talking to or he's the only true mentalist on the stage. The woman of The Sentimentalists must have had a vision of me creepily messaging her online because I'm already blocked from her social media despite having never visited it...touche.

I wondered if the Amish community had enough pull to eliminate Light Balance Kids from the show, but these kinds of acts are apparently the plug for America despite this cord cutting era. (I think I aged 20 years writing that Dad joke) 

Susan Boyle singing "I Dreamed A Dream" was appropriate, as the whole thing made me barely lucid. I'd compliment her on "not being as ugly as I remembered" but she was probably just wearing a wig. Regardless, I was not snatched bald by this boring number. Despite being viral largely for looking 99 years old and being able to carry a tune, I recalled her singing ability as much better than it was tonight. Why was she even on the show? Unless they're just using euphemisms to say her merciless telomeres gave people the stink face around the world until she started singing, she's from the UK, so why give her such a heroic presentation in the US? This may not be the best question to ask from a show that seems to have a trade agreement with 6/7 continents for talent, but still.

I harbor lust for Marina (heh) but her going home was inevitable, and Ryan's hopefully on the spot joke was great.

Chris Klafford being saved with the overwhelming majority of Dunkin' Save votes was no surprise, for they were probably coming from Swedish Idol viewers using a VPN. The angelic treatment he receives aptly makes my eyes glaze over like a donut, but last night's performance was pretty good, so I'm not mad about the result.

Between Charlotte Summers and the choir, I would've vastly preferred Charlotte to go through because her entertainment value to me was only lowered by her song choice instead of the choir's....everything. Going back to my earlier comment, I was confused when Terry referred to all 20+ of them as Ndlovu. Jeez, it really is a pervasive first name.

Anyway, we get the usual routine of Howie's cake-worthy wringing of his hands in defeat at being expected to do his job and pick an act and it came down to Simon Cowell's manipulated illusion of the viewers' votes the votes anyway. It's normal to walk away from the TV feeling disappointed, since how else would any of this forum's posts get made, but the less desired option went through as usual.

Next week's list of performers looks utterly terrible. With that said, I'm looking forward to it.

Edited by Neet
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, DietCokeJunkie said:

Susan Boyle looked the best I’ve seen her in a long time, but she seemed really out of it and her voice was weak. I was surprised Simon had nothing to say to her. That whole segment was weird. 

I felt the same way about Susan Boyle's performance.  I was hoping it was a case of the background music drowning her out, but both my husband and I thought her voice was weak and she was lackluster.  I don't think Simon will ever say anything negative about her again, no matter what happens.  He has stated he is ashamed of how he acted when he first met her on BGT.

As for the rest of the evening, there were no surprises, even for the performers themselves.  You can pretty much tell who is going through and who isn't once you see who they are pitted against during the result announcements.  Nick and Lindsay knew they were doomed, and it was clear Robert Findley would be staying after the Kids were put through to the next round.

I had a premonition that Chris Klafford would come out on stage Tuesday night, clean-shaven and with a nice haircut, and really wow the audience with his appearance.  Still optimistic, I thought maybe Wednesday could be the "reveal" night.  But, alas, it was not to be.  I am glad he is still around and after saying there were no surprises for the evening, I am a little surprised he was on the bubble.

Edited by DoYouLikeMutton
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Simon wore a nice white shirt tonight and looked showered and shaved (for him). 

I was hoping that was because of me, he read my post about his lack of respect for the show and for viewers by not changing his clothes after sleeping in them for a week, and by not showering.

You are welcome.

I about did a LOL when the Flaming Knife Throwing husband and wife and the Mind Reading Couple were not in the bottom three. That was the best part of the show for me. Well, that and the Howie billboard. Two high points! Yeay!

I wasn't invested in any of the acts so didn't care who went home and who did not.

I thought Susan didn't sing very well, but still she's better than I'll ever be. I know she's had tons of make overs and she looked very pretty, which made me wonder what AGT's wardrobe and makeup folks could do for me. It'd be worth trying out for the show just to get that. Anyway, I think it would have been cool for Susan to come out looking like and wearing what she was wearing in her initial BGT audition since she was performing the same song. I imagine she might still be under some Simon contract so has to appear whether she wants to or not, although I understand she appreciates the opportunity to visit the U.S. So, good for her.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I about did a LOL when the Flaming Knife Throwing husband and wife and the Mind Reading Couple were not in the bottom three. That was the best part of the show for me. Well, that and the Howie billboard. Two high points! Yeay!

No, they were automatically eliminated meaning they WERE in at least the bottom 4.  The Dunkin save is for the 3 acts in the middle.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I could feel the eyes roll back in my head when Julienne went on about how Nick and Lindsay turned their bad act into comedy.  I don't think they were going for that.   Missed throws, bad singing..... ridiculous act......but I laughed.... harder than at Ryan.    I will miss them.  I want to be invited to game night at Nick and Lindsay's house.

V unbeatable did the exact same act as before and I hope next time they don't wear blue outfits because they were ugly against that backdrop......ticky tacky I know.....but stage presentation matters.

I swear I saw Chris Klafford....or somebody that looks like him.  on team Blake.....if not.....when this is over he should go on the Voice and be on team Blake.   Because he can win that.....have a minor country hit.....and play much better dives.

And I will miss the Sentamentalist.....simply because I love her.....but she did make a wrong guess....for a mentalist act, that's like when a juggler drops one.

I'm glad Robert Finley got through because maybe in the end he doesn't win this....he will be a finalist......he at least deserves to spend the rest of his time doing exactly what he wants to do.  

Remember when Howie had hair?   He's just one of those people who look better with a shaved head.

Between Tyler and Joseph Allen, the right choice was made.  It was Simon and Howie's golden buzzer choices head to head.   Who did you think was going through?  But Joseph didn't bring more of what earned him his gb......disappointed because I liked him.

I'm yawning about the acts that are going through to the semifinals so far ....there's one more quarter left I believe.....there will be wildcards   I still have Sophie for one.   Nobody last night deserves one really....unless it's Nick and Lindsay.   I love this show.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Is it bad I keep referring to Chris as Thor because I can't remember his name?

I called him "Beardy Chris" in my first post because I was too lazy to look up how to spell his last name. Same reason I called Ndlovu the "Pretty in Pink Youth Choir."

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, ams1001 said:
  • Judges Dunkin Save: a tie. So we're back to the audience vote. So what was the point of all the judges' angst?
  • Did Terry just cut off the guy after asking what he wanted to say to the judges?

1. I don't understand the point of the Judges picking an act just go by the audience 1st and 2nd choice and be done.

2. I've noticed that about Terry, he'll hold the mic up to someone then yank it away before they talk or finish talking, lol.

Something else I've noticed about Terry, when it's an act with people of color (black) he'll always go to Gabby first to ask what her thoughts are.

Why didn't Simon stop Susan Boyle when her back track was overpowering her and have her sing acapella, lol.

Well, the Summers girl can now try out for the Voice I think she's old enough.

Did you see Howie eating cake off of Julianne's hand? Germaphobe my ass!

That billboard was funny.

How many more episodes before the finals?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

2. I've noticed that about Terry, he'll hold the mic up to someone then yank it away before they talk or finish talking, lol.

Reminded me of when Anthony Anderson asks the "loser" what they want to say at the end of To Tell the Truth.

It was right at the end so maybe he didn't realize how little time was left and then got signalled by someone to cut it off, but still. (All the more reason to dispense with the judges' deciding, because they take forever being all angsty about it.)

12 minutes ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

Why didn't Simon stop Susan Boyle when her back track was overpowering her and have her sing acapella, lol.

Ha! That would have been funny. There were a couple notes in there that sounded really off to me.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

Something else I've noticed about Terry, when it's an act with people of color (black) he'll always go to Gabby first to ask what her thoughts are.

I was going to mention that, but didn't out of fear of being summoned to civil court by Al Sharpton for daring to see color - Gabrielle's eyes are always glowing with pride before the act even opens their mouth. I can't remember if Mel(anin) B. did the same thing, but it probably wasn't as bad. Robert Finley's perhaps excessive stance on color blindness is the degree to which we should all strive for.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, InternetToughGuy said:

I was going to mention that, but didn't out of fear of being summoned to civil court by Al Sharpton for daring to see color

Oh no, now you have me scared to check my mail box lol.

Al, if you're reading this I'm not hating on anyone it's just an observation :-) 

• Love 2

1. I don't understand the point of the Judges picking an act just go by the audience 1st and 2nd choice and be done.

I could make some guesses:

1.  It gives the judges something to do, in order to feel more important about who will go to the next round in 7th place. I used to wonder why they don't take the advice to "step it up", but usually if they had something better they would have used it. 

2.  It adds another minute or two of suspenseful drama to a show that didn't need any and usually finishes a minute or two long, despite having the exact same format for years and also having some taped segments.

3.  The judges can try to build empathy for the contestants (and themselves), because crushing someone's dream is hard to do right in front of them--though that dream gets crushed when you're one of the first three acts up, and you know that your act next week could be "thanks, America, it's been a good run. I won't waste your time, so instead here's a clip of Shania Twain."*

In summary, it's not you; there is no point to the judge's save.

* Because Canada also Has Talent.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, InternetToughGuy said:

I was going to mention that, but didn't out of fear of being summoned to civil court by Al Sharpton for daring to see color - Gabrielle's eyes are always glowing with pride before the act even opens their mouth. I can't remember if Mel(anin) B. did the same thing, but it probably wasn't as bad. Robert Finley's perhaps excessive stance on color blindness is the degree to which we should all strive for.

I too noticed this, but like ITG, thought it best to pass up a chance to point it out.  What I wanted to say at some point:  "So Gabrielle is the go-to judge whenever black people are on stage?"

Re the two blacks males going head-to-head, I automatically rooted for Tyler solely because I believe playing the violin is a talent, rapping not so much.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

I automatically rooted for Tyler solely because I believe playing the violin is a talent, rapping not so much.

I write freestyle raps every so often and the majority of them suck, if I'm able to think of anything at all, because trying to come up with enough lines to even make one verse is hard, but you also have to make it flow to the beat and preferably have a good rhyme scheme. Though I can agree that it's not really a talent so much as it's like an aptitude/inclination, since for example, any joke I've made just sort of arises by itself - there are aspects of those things you can practice, but the creativity part is largely hands off, whereas my level of guitar skills came from thousands of hours of repetition. If that all makes any sense.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I called him "Beardy Chris" in my first post because I was too lazy to look up how to spell his last name. Same reason I called Ndlovu the "Pretty in Pink Youth Choir."

I am glad you do this so I know what acts you are talking about. When posters use the real names, I don't have any idea who they mean. Which is why I spazzed out when the act's name was called last week, I thought the Fruit Smashing Trio made it through when it really was the Hand Balancing Guys.

18 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

Did you see Howie eating cake off of Julianne's hand? Germaphobe my ass!

Oh, gah, I missed that. But that image would be enough to turn ME into a germaphobe.

That would have been awesome teevee.

I hadn't noticed but I will from now on.

18 hours ago, ams1001 said:

It was right at the end so maybe he didn't realize how little time was left and then got signalled by someone to cut it off, but still. (All the more reason to dispense with the judges' deciding, because they take forever being all angsty about it.)

That judges angst is such BS. I can't even listen to it, although I can't hear it that well over me saying "Blah blah blah" to the tv while it's going on.

15 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I automatically rooted for Tyler solely because I believe playing the violin is a talent, rapping not so much.

Especially when the "rap" isn't all that.

• Love 4

I mean, I'm pretty sure Terry's not deciding which judge he calls on for comments first; that would be the producer in his earpiece giving him direction.

I've been obsessed with Les Miserables since I first saw it on Broadway in 1992, when I was ten years old. The Original London Cast Recording was the music I did my homework to for several years following. I remember being really impressed by Susan Boyle's rendition of "I Dreamed a Dream" ten years ago. This performance was just...baffling. In small part because the backing track was (shock!) overpowering, but largely because her voice was really thin throughout. When she was done I was waiting for Randy Jackson to make a cameo to tell her "Yo, it was just a bit pitchy to me, dawg." Definitely a bad night for Susan.

• Love 2

I'm surprised the background music wasn't coming from turntables, which would be fitting for that "lazy Susan" performance. Who would have imagined that singing over a video of people talking would have made it sound even worse?

• LOL 2
On 8/21/2019 at 10:00 PM, DietCokeJunkie said:

Susan Boyle looked the best I’ve seen her in a long time, but she seemed really out of it and her voice was weak. I was surprised Simon had nothing to say to her. That whole segment was weird. 

Susan is autistic and gets stage fright.  However, due to contract obligations, they trot her out there whether she feels up to it or not.  This was not the worst I've seen from her.

• Love 1

Simon forgetting Joseph Allen's name literally seconds after he was eliminated, and none of the judges being able to remember/pronounce Ndlovu were two stellar microcosms of how lazy this show has gotten. Even if they're mediocre acts, the judges are the ones hyping them up, so it rings hollow when they can't even get their names out. Especially Joseph Allen, a golden buzzer, which is supposed to be such a special honor.

Speaking of Joseph Allen's GB status, it warms my heart when those acts are eliminated so unceremoniously. Sophie last week and now him--and she at least made the Dunkin Save. After the one-two punch of Courtney Hadwin and Michael Ketterer last year, I was hoping the show would have learned their lesson about the GB, but apparently not. And I don't think they're going to after this season either.

On 8/21/2019 at 10:55 PM, anthonyd46 said:

Kind of unfair to Sophie and EB last week that they didn't get the judge choice thing if this weeks choices get it.

Apparently last week it was because of some glitch in the voting system so they wanted to even the playing field. In general everything about advancing on this show is a crapshoot, especially if you're the kind of act that ends up on the bubble. Acts that get eliminated without even making the Dunkin Save one week could have sailed through if they were on a different week. Luck of the draw, a lot of it.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Susan is autistic and gets stage fright.  However, due to contract obligations, they trot her out there whether she feels up to it or not.  This was not the worst I've seen from her.

Thank you for sticking up for Susan.  It's not her fault if the backing track was overpowering her singing.  She looked beautiful, as did the stage set.  Susan seems to have mastered being interactive enough and gracious onstage with the MC.  I was figuring in that she probably had just traveled from her home in Scotland on a short time frame.

• Love 3
On 8/26/2019 at 11:14 AM, CrystalBlue said:

Thank you for sticking up for Susan.  It's not her fault if the backing track was overpowering her singing.  She looked beautiful, as did the stage set.  Susan seems to have mastered being interactive enough and gracious onstage with the MC.  I was figuring in that she probably had just traveled from her home in Scotland on a short time frame.

susan boyle has aspergers syndrome  which is part of the autism spectrum..SHe looked lovely but  missed a few notes and weak voice......she had an off night which is bound to happen sometimes..but I always enjoy seeing her  sing